PDA

View Full Version : Player Instructions

miro1234
10-12-13, 10:27 PM
Hi mates!

I would like to ask you if u can share what are the best players instructions for each position in your opinion? (Besides AML,AMR,ML,MR)

Thanks for answering!

ilovesanmarino
10-12-13, 10:35 PM
Read my entire story from start to end and I'll let you know...

miro1234
10-12-13, 11:27 PM
Haha you are crazy man :P I would read it only if u arrange meeting: Me vodka and Eva Mendes in the same room!

P.S. - Congratulations for beeting Austria and going to the World cup :D

Kenny Dalglish's Smile
12-12-13, 01:01 PM
Goalkeeper would be forward runs, run with ball, hard tackling, forward at defensive set pieces and playmaker for me

Personally I always set them as corner taker, too. Why? Think about it, mates, set all 10 outfield players on forward at set pieces and you NEED the keeper taking corners in order to get the maximum amount of players challenging for the ball. Goals GALORE!

Psmith
15-12-13, 02:53 PM
Goalkeeper would be forward runs, run with ball, hard tackling, forward at defensive set pieces and playmaker for me

Personally I always set them as corner taker, too. Why? Think about it, mates, set all 10 outfield players on forward at set pieces and you NEED the keeper taking corners in order to get the maximum amount of players challenging for the ball. Goals GALORE!

Don't be absurd, the playmaker should never have a forward run instruction! It is just nonsensical.

Goofy
15-12-13, 06:33 PM
Hi mates!

I would like to ask you if u can share what are the best players instructions for each position in your opinion? (Besides AML,AMR,ML,MR)

Thanks for answering!

Depends on your tactic. With a fully wib/wobbed tactic i set all outfield players to "run with ball" and "make forward runs" except for the centre halfs who have nothing ticked. Attacking set pieces, everyone forward except two players (normally the full backs). Defensive set pieces everyone back except the striker(s).

316'sRegen
20-12-13, 01:00 PM
MCs to hard tackling

if you have three MCs make one free role (high creativity and stamina helps) and the other two hard tackling :ok:

Alan
20-12-13, 05:09 PM
Depends on your tactic..
And players. You wouldn't give Xavi and Khedira the same instructions, after all.

info0
20-12-13, 09:04 PM
In CM, yes I would, in FM not a chance :lol:.

ally_uk
16-07-14, 11:55 AM
Fantastic forum guys I have been playing Champ Manager for a few years now have never been able to get into Football manager believe me I have tried a few times but I find it way to bloated / complicated.

My team of choice is Southampton and I run the latest update without Tapani.

Formation of choice and has been for a while

4-1-3-1-1

4 defenders at the back
1 DMC
3 midfielders all central
1 Attacking Midfielder
1 Striker

Sometimes this tactic is very good I have won the premier league after a couple of seasons but I have started to notice inconsistencies especially regarding the back 4. It doesn't matter who I seem to play at the back although they get a high tackling per games ratio they produce average ratings of 6.0 / 5.0 which is leaving me scratching my head.

Team Instructions I set - Attacking / mixed / pressing / Hard tackling

Individual Player instructions - Left right Def - run with ball / cross / forward runs
- central def - no instructions
- DMC - no instructions
- MC (Central mid) - run with ball / forward runs / long shots
- Left / right mid - run with ball / forward runs / cross
- AMC - Run with ball / forward runs
- SC - No instructions

Any adjustments I can make or am I doing stuff wrong? many thanks gods of champ manager

faz44
16-07-14, 01:44 PM
I looked at some of my more successful tactics and until my last batch, I gave:
Passing - All Team except GK (Mixed)
Tackling - All Team
Pressing - All Team
Pass To - All RLC
Free Role - All No
Forward Runs & Run With Ball - All Yes except DCs and GK (No)
Hold Up Ball, Long Shots , Try Through Balls and Crossing - All No
Marking - All Zonal except GK (no)

Never been convinced Long Shots, Through Balls and Crossing actually improve goal tallies or chance creation, thought I suppose if somebody was really that way inclined they could do holiday tests with many variations of a tactic.

godfreemorals
17-07-14, 02:09 PM
I give the same basic instructions as faz44 for my players and have team set as Short Passing (to keep possession), Hard Tackling, and Pressing.

I run as Chelsea in original release in a 4-1-2-2-1 (I also play Peterhead but they're so lower league and miniscule that it hardly matters).

Now, I'd almost always played Attacking mentality at home and Neutral (or whatever it's called) away, but I'd noticed that this doesn't always work, especially at home. Losing 4-1 at home to Arsenal was the last straw.

I'll only go attacking now in a phase (first or last 10 minutes or either half) or against a weak side. With a good team of defensive passing players, I now play Defensive home or away and have had good results, beating Barcelona 4-0 and 2-0, winning away at Leeds, Liverpool, and Arsenal.

So, I'd suggest less attacking. Perhaps the rating is based on your defenders getting less time with the ball or similar, I dunno, but a CM expert might.

faz44
17-07-14, 02:12 PM
Oh, if you're playing against an AMC, consider using your DMC to man-mark him.

BobMem
18-07-14, 11:56 AM
I always set my 2 DCs to Man Mark, and play offside trap. If you really want to get better defensive records then you'll have to Wib/wob.

sfetzos7
20-12-14, 12:25 AM
hi pals because i am new here what do you mean by Wib/Wob?

BobMem
20-12-14, 08:01 AM
It means adjusting the positions of players in the with ball/without ball screens (wib/wob).
Changing these can make dramatic differences in performance of a tactic, both in term of goals conceded and goals scored.

samsami
20-12-14, 12:52 PM
Adjusting the positions with ball (wib) and without ball (wob) is a feature of the game (in addition to team instructions and player instructions) but it can be so effective that the computer does not have a chance any more and you can win anything with almost any team.
You can download wib/wob tactics (iodineCF is the best against mediocre teams, others like 4411 Ailton (Vik mod) are better against stronger teams) or you try and create your own.
It can take the fun out of the game when you start winning everything, so to solve that problem there are tactic packs that replace the computer tactics and make the computer teams stronger :)

Samsami

faz44
26-12-14, 10:22 AM
Remember though, bad wib-wobbing is worse than none at all.

Rxx
23-01-16, 10:51 PM
Hey guys, I have a question, I usually set my players with a set of personal instructions, does setting the way the keeper passes the ball do any major change in the results you obtain? Like Im using my keeper with short passing and my team seems much more controled in keeping the ball in away games, or is it just me?

Dugong
18-03-16, 02:34 PM
Finally back to my Wurzburger save (after too long away playing R:TW) and I seem to have hit a ceiling. The top 3 are consistently Bayern, M'gladbach and Leverkusen, with myself, Schalke and Dortmund scrapping for the next 3 places. Thoroughly disheartened I took myself outside for a break and found myself reading the manual PDF.

I've seen lots of comments on the limitations of the engine and not to over-complicate one's game but reading the manual prompted me to have a footer with individual player instructions. Usually, it would be a quick once-over at the start of the season - DC's man marking, wide players to run with ball & cross and maybe a quick pre-match tinker if I'd changed strikers or put on a DMC with long shots. But actually taking the time to pay attention to individual's skills and instruct appropriately seems to have given my team a new lease of life. It's early days in the new season and still a little too early to tell if I'm just imagining things but there definitely seems to be an improved consistency. Previously it was a flip of a coin whether I was 4-0 up at half-time or trailing 2-0 within the first 15.

So, as the title suggests, does anyone bother to take their tactics down to that granular level and does it have any beneficial effect?

Jesus
18-03-16, 03:29 PM
Fiddling with individual player instructions is what can make or break a tactic. There's a certain formula that can be used as a base but finding the sweet point in what is better than the other can provide a vital edge, especially when using tactics which are wib/wob. The only way to tell for certain it to test your tactics with different instructions; this can be somewhat time consuming if you don't have the setup for it though.

JLa
18-03-16, 08:19 PM
What do you look for, then? Long shots on for players with high atts for that one, perhaps run with ball for those with high dribbling atts. What else? I never really figured this out..

Jesus
18-03-16, 08:24 PM
It depends on what you think will be beneficial. I once made a 442 tactic which was successful because I tried to assign roles to each player position. The fullbacks and wingers ran with the ball, made forward runs, crossed the ball and passed direct to centre; the MLC would hold up the ball; the MRC would run forward and try through balls; the FLC would be a tall strong player with hold up ball, short passing and through balls; the FRC would be a quick player with forward runs and run with ball. I chopped and changed and kept an eye on my players stats for each position (focusing on assists for the FLC for example) to see if it was working.

Dugong
23-03-16, 03:25 AM
^ This. I, by and large, stuck to the win anything philosophy of Attacking-Hard-Short with the most basic of tweaks, a-la JLa's post. Does your squad have creative passing talent in midfield? The why constrain it by giving it the same instruction set as your DCs?

Kenny Dalglish's Smile
23-03-16, 06:05 PM
@Dugong: top user name, that. I like me a dugong tbh.

@JLa: that Mark Vaughan guide is probably the best description of which stats are applied to which instructions

samsami
27-12-18, 09:22 PM
Fantastic forum guys I have been playing Champ Manager for a few years now have never been able to get into Football manager believe me I have tried a few times but I find it way to bloated / complicated.

My team of choice is Southampton and I run the latest update without Tapani.

Formation of choice and has been for a while

4-1-3-1-1

4 defenders at the back
1 DMC
3 midfielders all central
1 Attacking Midfielder
1 Striker

Sometimes this tactic is very good I have won the premier league after a couple of seasons but I have started to notice inconsistencies especially regarding the back 4. It doesn't matter who I seem to play at the back although they get a high tackling per games ratio they produce average ratings of 6.0 / 5.0 which is leaving me scratching my head.

Team Instructions I set - Attacking / mixed / pressing / Hard tackling

Individual Player instructions - Left right Def - run with ball / cross / forward runs
- central def - no instructions
- DMC - no instructions
- MC (Central mid) - run with ball / forward runs / long shots
- Left / right mid - run with ball / forward runs / cross
- AMC - Run with ball / forward runs
- SC - No instructions

Any adjustments I can make or am I doing stuff wrong? many thanks gods of champ manager

Shouldn't player instructions be based on their individual atts rather than on the position?
Why have an MC run with the ball if he has a low score for dribbling?
Or make him try long shots if he has a low score for that?
Etc. etc.

I think players instructions depend on the particular player rather than on the position.