PDA

View Full Version : Women's World Cup

Rapinoe
07-12-14, 04:28 AM
So the group draws happened today, and I'm... kinda disappointed, from a selfish perspective.

Group A: Canada, China, NZ, Holland
Group B: Germany, Ivory Coast, Norway, Thailand
Group C: Japan, Switzerland, Cameroon, Ecuador
Group D: USA, Australia, Sweden, Nigeria
Group E: Brazil, South Korea, Spain, Costa Rica
Group F: France, England, Colombia, Mexico

This means that I'll see the Group C teams twice each, which is... oh, joy. Japan are good and they're entertaining but the competition is marginal, the Swiss are okay but it'd be a huge upset if they beat Japan, and the other two are like, wow yay. I'll also get to see one group D match... and hooray it's the USA but... naturally it's against the weakest opponent (Nigeria). So, yay, I get to see Pinoe... in a probably uninteresting match.

On a positive note, though, I could potentially see CAN-USA in the round of 16 if the US finish 3rd in their group (entirely possible!), so I'm rooting for Australia and Sweden to finish 1-2 so that I can see the vengeance for 2012 happen in person. And quarter-final there's a chance I can see England or France, so that'd also be sweet, and of course the final... but this part is all theoretical. For now, cool, I get to see the US once, but mostly I'm disappointed with the draw.

Fods
07-12-14, 04:35 AM
Go on the Ozzies!

Craig Forrest
07-12-14, 05:47 AM
We should be able to get out of the group..... let's hope that playing on turf gives us more of a home advantage ;)

Rapinoe
07-12-14, 06:26 AM
"Should be able"? We'll finish on top of group A. The crowds at Commonwealth Stadium will count for 2 extra players, nevermind just one. China probably 2nd, but hopefully NZ can pull it off and displace the Chinese. Although the Dutch aren't slouches, I do think they're outmatched in this group.

Germany's group is cake, I'd be surprised if they don't finish 3-0. Norway 2nd, Thailand 3rd.

Japan should handily top group C - it should be a fun atmosphere at BC Place for Japan's games, we've got lots of Japanese here so it'll probably be like home games for them, and they're a fun team to watch, usually. Plus, Nahomi Kawasumi. Switzerland should easily finish 2nd, third will be... whoever wins Cameroon-Ecuador.

Group D, this is the killer group here. I wish this grouping would be group C! The US, Sweden and the Matildas could feasibly finish anywhere in the top 3, I kinda feel bad for Nigeria because they have no chance here. I'm going to root for Aus - Sweden - USA finishing 1-2-3, because if the US finishes third there's a chance they'll play Canada (i.e. the winner of group A) in the round of 16 at BC Place. And as I said earlier, I would *so* love to be there for that game to see the Good Girls avenge the bullshit loss at the Olympics, and I'm sure for CAN-USA BC Place would be a madhouse.

Group E, I don't see anyone really challenging Brazil for top spot. But I'm gonna wave my CONCACAF flag here and hope Las Ticas can finish second.

Group F is kinda wow, France and England will finish 1st and 2nd but I don't feel I can really predict which of them will be first. But hopefully England. Mexico 3rd.

The turf thing... yeah, I agree with them that it is rubbish, this should be played on grass. But the NWSL players (i.e. most of the Canadians and Americans) usually play on turf with their clubs so it might be a minor advantage for them - hopefully, yeah, it'll be enough of an advantage. I know our girls aren't really complaining about the playing surface, so hopefully (is this unsportsmanlike of me?) this issue will distract the opposition teams out enough that they'll be a bit less in the game with their heads when it's time to play Canada.

But whatever, got stadium passports for me and the lady, we're super stoked for this! The Olympics were fun, but this'll be better!

Goofy
07-12-14, 03:43 PM
No Scotland? Must be a mickey mouse tournament then if we're not there........

Craig Forrest
07-12-14, 03:49 PM
Yes "Should be able" :p

you never know what's going to happen.... such is the beauty of the WC :ok:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I believe Group B is in Ottawa so maybe I'll go cheer for some German women ;)

Goofy
07-12-14, 06:26 PM
Oh and I believe Group B is in Ottawa so maybe I'll go cheer for some German women ;)

"Fräuleins" :ok:

Rapinoe
07-12-14, 08:18 PM
Yes "Should be able" :p

you never know what's going to happen.... such is the beauty of the WC :ok:

Good point. We "should have" won the semifinal at the Olympics...

I was really hoping they'd be in group C, I met some of them when they were still U19s.

JLa
08-12-14, 01:22 PM
Go Norway!

Dermotron
08-12-14, 05:42 PM
A round of 16 for a 24 team comp . . . win first game, play all the reserves for games 2 and 3

Rapinoe
08-12-14, 08:52 PM
Yeah I think you'd have as much success as you'd have anywhere else, with that strategy.