PDA

View Full Version : UEFA European Championships - 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bevchenko
07-03-12, 07:57 PM
Spain are the early front runners, but England will obviously win it, agree?

AMC
07-03-12, 08:01 PM
Hard to see past the big two of Spain and Germany.

Mark
08-03-12, 11:13 AM
With Glenn Hoddle in charge, we'll breeze it :rolleyes:

churky
08-03-12, 12:52 PM
Bevchenko's post both opens and closes the thread.

Dermotron
08-03-12, 01:49 PM
Get the Kleenex in churks, you'll be crying after playing us :)

Prob crying from boredom more than likely though :D

Erkifino
08-03-12, 02:01 PM
Get the Kleenex in churks, you'll be crying after playing us :)

Prob crying from boredom more than likely though :D

I concur. :(

Mark
08-03-12, 02:05 PM
Ah yes, looking forwards to seeing Whelan and Walters playing in the Euros :) And Wilson too possibly...

Think the only other Stokie to be at the Euros will be Sorensen.

GOOO ON LADS :D

Erkifino
08-03-12, 02:06 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing Delap tbh!!

Dermotron
08-03-12, 02:09 PM
Etherington would be a shoe in if he played at any other club :yes:

Mark
08-03-12, 02:12 PM
I have no idea why Trapattoni hasn't called Delap in? Do you guys know anything? People think he's all about the throw-ins (which would be ace to see at the Euros :D) but if you watch him, he does soooo much of the dirty work in midfield. I've lost count of the amount of times that he tracks players back and gets a tackle in. Sure, he doesn't score many goals but that's not his job in the side.

As for Ethers, this time last year I'd have agreed with you, Derm. But this year, he's not been hitting the same heights. But it was a fantastic goal against Norwich and I can only hope it'll boost his confidence.

Will Marc Wilson be getting a chance at all? Don't think he was involved in the last friendly.

Dermotron
08-03-12, 02:24 PM
Marc Wilson hasn't a hope after not showing for the last friendly (the one before Czech)! He's now on the naughty step with Andy Reid, and no-one comes off Traps naughty step.

I think Delap has been unlucky really. He was injured for the most of the start of Traps reign and as he as shown, he likes to trust people and keep it. Whelan and Andrews wouldn't be broken as a partnership even if Keane was magically 10 years younger come the Euro's. Trap also like his flair to come from the wingers so as well as working hard (he's made a better player out of McGeady) he wants them to provide the attacking flair he won't allow the centre midfielders.

While I can't really argue with the results and the fact we are in the Euros, it hard to think that he couldn't teach McCarthy in the way he thought McGeady to work harder and thus we keep the ball more.

His system is so solid though, that's why it's hard to argue with what he does. It's terrible for fans, its terrible to watch and after 10 minutes (or scoring) we don't leave our half of the field. But we're in the Euro's with a team that's made up of midtable EPL players, a few journeymen and a few veterans.

He's delivered what we wanted and the stick he gets can be unjustified. Yes the youngsters could do with a better chance but he's created something 99% of managers can't, a club atmosphere at international level and it works.

Looking forward to the Euro's - Spain will break on the wall of Dunne and Given, ditto Croatia and we'll beat the Italians. I think 5pts will see us out of the group and then we'll drink the nation and Poland dry and no-one will remember a single night of the dreary negative football - only that we're in the Euro quarters :ok:

Germaniac
08-03-12, 02:26 PM
Nope, Germany will win it of course

Mark
08-03-12, 03:33 PM
Marc Wilson hasn't a hope after not showing for the last friendly (the one before Czech)! He's now on the naughty step with Andy Reid, and no-one comes off Traps naughty step.

I think Delap has been unlucky really. He was injured for the most of the start of Traps reign and as he as shown, he likes to trust people and keep it. Whelan and Andrews wouldn't be broken as a partnership even if Keane was magically 10 years younger come the Euro's. Trap also like his flair to come from the wingers so as well as working hard (he's made a better player out of McGeady) he wants them to provide the attacking flair he won't allow the centre midfielders.

While I can't really argue with the results and the fact we are in the Euros, it hard to think that he couldn't teach McCarthy in the way he thought McGeady to work harder and thus we keep the ball more.

His system is so solid though, that's why it's hard to argue with what he does. It's terrible for fans, its terrible to watch and after 10 minutes (or scoring) we don't leave our half of the field. But we're in the Euro's with a team that's made up of midtable EPL players, a few journeymen and a few veterans.

He's delivered what we wanted and the stick he gets can be unjustified. Yes the youngsters could do with a better chance but he's created something 99% of managers can't, a club atmosphere at international level and it works.

Looking forward to the Euro's - Spain will break on the wall of Dunne and Given, ditto Croatia and we'll beat the Italians. I think 5pts will see us out of the group and then we'll drink the nation and Poland dry and no-one will remember a single night of the dreary negative football - only that we're in the Euro quarters :ok:

Ah yeah, I remember when he had to pull out of a squad and Trap went mental saying he wasn't told or something. Shame :( Wilson's been pretty solid for us at left-back this season even if he is really a centre midfielder.

All this talk is making me want to watch the Euros NOW :D I know England never win and always fail but there's just something about summer tournaments that I love. Can't wait to watch games in the beer gardens, etc :D

churky
08-03-12, 04:13 PM
Funny how Ireland and Croatia have exactly the same plan for EURO. :D
Our match will be drab, Derm, no doubt. An individual mistake or sheer luck will decide that...
Anyway, after we beat Ireland 1-0, we're beating Italians since we're always top notch against big teams on these tournaments.
The match against Spain won't matter then.

Mark, EURO and WC are both really special, even if you don't go to matches. Everyone talks about it, the atmosphere is buzzing with football, and when our national team play life stops for 2 hours. Can't wait. :ok:

Dermotron
08-03-12, 04:17 PM
You guys shouldn't be playing such drab football, plenty of flair, creativity and technique. That said, if any team that plays us isn't prepared for the trenches we will get what we need from a game

Erkifino
08-03-12, 05:16 PM

Spot on! Our 1st Euro since 88!! To hell with the fancy schtuff!!

Dermotron
08-03-12, 05:18 PM
Don't go on foot.ie mate if you think like me. Christ on a bike they'd be great politicans - all I would and this should - wouldn't have a fucking clue how to do anything!

Erkifino
08-03-12, 05:35 PM
I'll avoid it so! :lol:
It's games like FIFA and FM2012 that have people thinking that way!

Spudiator
08-03-12, 08:32 PM
I can't wait until it's all over and done with. International football is so tedious these days, and England are just an embarrassment of a team. As it happens, it's actually the Olympic football tournament I'm looking forward to, just because it won't be just the same old boring Terry, Lampard and Gerrard dictating the team and not actually doing much of merit.

churky
08-03-12, 08:43 PM
I can't wait until it's all over and done with. International football is so tedious these days, and England are just an embarrassment of a team. As it happens, it's actually the Olympic football tournament I'm looking forward to, just because it won't be just the same old boring Terry, Lampard and Gerrard dictating the team and not actually doing much of merit.

That's what the rest of the world enjoy to watch; a bunch of English players (and some fans) thinking they have a divine right to win every Euro and WC and failing miserably. :lol:

Bevchenko
11-03-12, 12:49 PM
We don't have a divine right? Since when!!!

Erkifino
11-03-12, 02:46 PM
http://www.billcullenmotorgroup.ie/renault-range/offers-and-promotions/

I'd sooner gamble 12k at 66/1 to be honest! :lol:

Patinoz
11-03-12, 08:32 PM
love the fact a french automaker pretends to be irish :lol:

shikaka
19-03-12, 11:14 AM
For me (AGAIN we failed to qualify) the interesting team to watch will be Poland.

I watch quite some Bundesliga (still that and Serie A is are my favourites) and Poland has a very good lineup.

They have the trio from Dortmund (Piszczek, Kuba, Lewandowski) who, with BVB missing injured Gtze are providing the wins for months, above mediocre goalkeepers (Fabianski, Szczesny), and a general, dependable setup: Dudka, Boenisch, Polanski, Jelen, Brozek...

Granted, there is no Zidane or Riquelme in the team, but they are solid enough to finish in the semis, especially if we think of the polish supporters, who can put up a good show! Also, their group is not hard (czech, greeks and russians)

About group D: I wouldn't be so sure in England qualifying from that one. Do I remember correctly that Rooney cannot play in the first 2 matches?

Mark
19-03-12, 12:57 PM
Did Belgium qualify? If so, I'm really looking forwards to seeing them in action as well.

Yep shikaka, Rooney can't play the 1st two games. As long as Crouch is called in, we'll be fine :D

Mervmeister
19-03-12, 01:03 PM
Belgium missed out to Germany and Turkey. Shame as they are one of my favs :(

Mark
19-03-12, 01:13 PM
Gutted, wanted to see how their hot prospects got on :(

Patinoz
19-03-12, 01:48 PM
Granted, there is no Zidane or Riquelme in the team, but they are solid enough to finish in the semis, especially if we think of the polish supporters, who can put up a good show! Also, their group is not hard (czech, greeks and russians)

I doubt thats gonna happen since they will meet either germany or holland in the quarters and then their euro is over

shikaka
19-03-12, 01:56 PM
Did Belgium qualify? If so, I'm really looking forwards to seeing them in action as well.

Nope.
They really have talented players, the problem seems to be that they have really bad attitude.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=699555&sec=europe&root=europe&cc=5739

Goalkeeper Stijnen ... announced his retirement from international football at the age of 28. However, his reasons for leaving appear to shine an even brighter light on the problems within the squad. ''Nevertheless, too many players are not thinking about Belgium. They only care about themselves and about their clubs. Some people have said things about me behind my back that are simply unacceptable."

The fall-out from the reigns of Vandereycken and Vercauteren also saw the entire medical staff resign. ''The mentality of some of the players is deplorable,'' former national team doctor Marc Goossens told the Guardian. ''We got fed up with the many intolerable things that made it impossible for us to do our jobs... they are pseudo-stars... with the sick attitude of childish snobs."

Yep shikaka, Rooney can't play the 1st two games. As long as Crouch is called in, we'll be fine :D

I dunno. Rooney is the only world class english player at the moment, and with mediocre replacements*, the games against France and Sweden seem very hard to win.
*I don't say that Welbeck, Crouch, Sturridge or Carrol is bad. But they are at least a level below Rooney.

shikaka
19-03-12, 01:58 PM
I doubt thats gonna happen since they will meet either germany or holland in the quarters and then their euro is over

Hm, I didn't take this into account. Btw. Netherlands and Germany in the same group is strange. (I think them + Spain are TOP3 at the moment)

Patinoz
20-03-12, 10:49 AM
its gets even stranger since portugal is in our group as well. germany, holland, portugal = group of death (at least for either holland or portugal :D)

ClayDatsusara
20-03-12, 02:11 PM
its gets even stranger since portugal is in our group as well. germany, holland, portugal = group of death (at least for either holland or portugal :D)

I'd say Denmark does a 1992! - guess who did they beat in the way to win the competition?

that's right, England and France in the group stage, Holland in the semis and Germany in the final...

but this time, there is Portugal.
In 2000 we were in a "group of death" as well, with England (3-2 after 0-2 at 30 min), Romania (1-0), and finally Germany, with the reserve players (an easy 3-0 - Sergio Conceio hat-trick). Extra-time penalty favoring France ended up the dream...

least, I have to talk about the last Euro, where Portugal was knocked-out in the quarters by Germany (3-2) - some revenge needed here :)

Portugal is not the favorite, I reckon that, but the odds are alike for all teams, as there are no winners before games being played.

Patinoz
20-03-12, 02:46 PM
i understand why you are backing your country but you still wont stand a chance. the point is that we are three times as good as 2006 and twice as good as 2008 and we beat you in both tournaments and yeah, i really dont think the same applies to portugal. you are resting heavily on CR7 who isnt as great for portugal as he is for Real, the same way England is heavily resting on Rooney (despite him being suspended) etc.

we will have klose or gomez sitting on the bench, we will have gtze / reus sitting on the bench etc. etc., for the first time in decades we have a deep squad, so yeah, i dont think you stand a chance, especially since holland is looking good too

you will have to beat denmark and then either holland or us and i dont see that happening

Mark
20-03-12, 03:22 PM
There is such a thing as overconfidence, you know :D

Mervmeister
20-03-12, 04:32 PM
I am going for France to win.
Yes they are my fav Nation alongisde Belgium and yes they are well below par.

But their squad can not be taken lightly, if they start playing anywhere close to their potential they can beat anyone.

Players like Lloris, Sagna, Sakho, M'Vila, Menez, L.Diarra, Ribery, Nasri, Remy, Valbuena, Hoarau, Benzema etc are quality, also players like Cabaye could really make an impact.

Mark
20-03-12, 05:12 PM
I can remember you saying all this before the World Cup, Lee ;)

All I'm going to say is that it should be one heck of a tournament. You've got the 2 favourites (Germany and Spain) then all of the big nations that could run them close if they actually perform on the big stage (Holland, Italy, France, England) and now we've got a lot of countries breaking through with decent players as well.

ROLL ON JUNE!

shikaka
20-03-12, 05:26 PM
I can remember you saying all this before the World Cup, Lee ;)

All I'm going to say is that it should be one heck of a tournament. You've got the 2 favourites (Germany and Spain) then all of the big nations that could run them close if they actually perform on the big stage (Holland, Italy, France, England) and now we've got a lot of countries breaking through with decent players as well.

ROLL ON JUNE!

I would also add that there will be no f.cking vuvuzela, just good old fashioned, passionate home crowd!

(especially the second one is favourite of mine. FFS, on an U12 game! :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6T0dA_WU7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Ju8-AzH6I

Mervmeister
20-03-12, 06:08 PM
I would also like to add that I will be watching this tournament whilst on Holiday in Mexico. Travel on the 13th to the 27th of June. Should help make this tourny even more amazing!!

Erkifino
20-03-12, 06:13 PM
I would also like to add that I will be watching this tournament whilst on Holiday in Mexico. Travel on the 13th to the 27th of June. Should help make this tourny even more amazing!!
Going with the time difference, you'll be absolutely hammered on tequila and won't see/remember any football! :lol:

EDIT Nevermind only 7 hours behind...

ClayDatsusara
20-03-12, 07:50 PM
i understand why you are backing your country but you still wont stand a chance. the point is that we are three times as good as 2006 and twice as good as 2008 and we beat you in both tournaments and yeah, i really dont think the same applies to portugal. you are resting heavily on CR7 who isnt as great for portugal as he is for Real, the same way England is heavily resting on Rooney (despite him being suspended) etc.

we will have klose or gomez sitting on the bench, we will have gtze / reus sitting on the bench etc. etc., for the first time in decades we have a deep squad, so yeah, i dont think you stand a chance, especially since holland is looking good too

you will have to beat denmark and then either holland or us and i dont see that happening

well, I might as well call Paulo Bento and tell him there is no point in going to the Euro then.

P.S.: where can I find the telephone numbers of all national managers of the teams participating in Euro 2012 (except Joachim Low's of course)

Patinoz
20-03-12, 07:52 PM
you running out of proper arguments clay? ;)

ClayDatsusara
20-03-12, 08:29 PM
you running out of proper arguments clay? ;)

Why do I need arguments? I won't be the one playing the matches, I dont need to defend other people's jobs that dont depend on my personal beliefs.

They are professional players, they should know what to do, it doesnt matter if you think they are the worse or I think they are the best. The result is never as we expect, and if it is, it is a foolish thing to think it was because "we knew they were the better team all along" or "we had faith in them"...

Every dog has it's day, that's just my p.o.v.

but, of course, if I tell you that my favorite internet hobby is searching for fails and laughing afterwards, you know what I feel when such affirmations of a priori superiority are made :D

may the worse team win!

Fods
21-03-12, 01:56 AM
Were all gonna come down on Patz like a tonne of bricks when the Krauts fail miserably :ok:

churky
21-03-12, 09:23 AM
Were all gonna come down on Patz like a tonne of bricks when the Krauts fail miserably :ok:

And Bayern.

Patinoz
21-03-12, 10:28 AM
i dont think we'll fail miserably. once we get out of the group the way to the final is doable. the question is just who meet in the final and if its spain or not

Dermotron
21-03-12, 11:08 AM
You'll meet us in the semi's and ultimately your doom. If you guys think Greece were boring in 2004, you aint seen nothing yet :lol:

Fods
21-03-12, 11:22 AM
i dont think we'll fail miserably. once we get out of the group the way to the final is doable. the question is just who meet in the final and if its spain or not

The confidence amazes me :)

Mark
21-03-12, 11:30 AM
Same tournament, same drivel, different people. Makes a nice change from Bev (and other English people) claiming we'll win the tourney :D

Patinoz
21-03-12, 08:45 PM
we and spain are the clear favourites so i dont know why you guys have a problem with me expecting germany in the final :confused:

ClayDatsusara
21-03-12, 09:00 PM
the same way you have a problem with me expecting Portugal to slash Germany in the group stage :D

I can predict the future like that!

Dermotron
21-03-12, 11:00 PM
I dont think anyone has a problem with you thinking both nations will get to the final Pat, I think its disregarding the chance that any other nation can't knock either team out seems naive.

I haven't watched much of Germany since the WC I'll admit but you could find yourselves frustrated if you get over reliant on the counter attack which worked so well then. Most teams due to play Germany will focus on defending against it.

Fods
22-03-12, 12:21 AM
There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, Patz :ok:

Patinoz
22-03-12, 12:34 AM
i know mate and i tend to cross that

nevertheless, so all betting agencies are arrogant as well cuz they have germany at 3 to 1? of course anybody can win it but odds are its gonna be us or spain. thats undeniable. and since the odds favour germany and i am german myself and we played prolly the best football in the world the last 2 years, I dont see a problem in saying we'll go to the final.

Edit: we won against portugal in international comps the last few times. we dominated holland at the end of last year. our potential match-up for the quarter-final is nowhere near that level, so its not that far out that we'll do well

BeezerCeltic1967
09-05-12, 03:00 PM
can't wait for this tourny,
the best football tourny in the world imo, although i heard they wer increasing the numbers in coming tourneys, that's a bad move imo, trying to jazz it up like the world cup with more teams is a poor show, the best thing about the euros is it has just the correct number of teams in it :ok:

counting down the days,
i don't think spain will win it either.

shikaka
09-05-12, 03:09 PM
I don't think Spain will win either.

But to be honest I would be pleasantly surprised if we saw something interesting, judging by the trend. The classic playmakers are dead, teams who have better defensive records (after group matches) win great tournaments from like Euro2000...

2004, Greece, 0
2006, Italy, 1
2008, Spain, 0
2010, Spain, 0

I expect this trend to continue, few goals, boring matches, and a boring team again.

I think Italy or France will provide surprise though! (semi final from one of them)

BeezerCeltic1967
09-05-12, 03:15 PM
nah mate,
gonna be a great tourny,
loads of goals :ok:

not sure about italy, agree with france tho :ok:

youngwolf
09-05-12, 03:40 PM
Germany's squad looks fantastic, I'm going with them. Of course Spain and Holland will be challenging, and France under Blanc look decent! Some very good teams this year.

BeezerCeltic1967
09-05-12, 03:44 PM
im not sure about germanys back 4 tbh with you.

Mark
09-05-12, 03:49 PM
Pat will tell you different ;) Depends how Boateng/Hummels will perform, I guess. Badstuber is decent enough. If Mertesacker makes it, then they're f**ked :D

Can't wait for it either, especially with the end of the domestic season now in sight.

We'll have to do a sweep again as per the World Cup. If Jotun wins again though, I'll cry :D

Patinoz
09-05-12, 03:56 PM
we'll just have to score 4 or 5 at the other end :lol:

our defence is the weak part but tbh i reckon its the weak part for most other nations too.

there just aint that many worldclass defenders as they are midfielders and attackers.

puyol out for spain will hurt too. pique / puyol as cb are quality and especially due to them playing together for years at club level too, it made them even stronger.

i reckon lw is gonna put badstuber and hummels as cb and boateng right.

but maybe he trusts in the badstuber / boateng combo as Cb's simply cuz they are both at Bayern and used to each other. I reckon getting 2 CB's from the same club who been playing with / next to each other for a while is highly underrated.

Patinoz
09-05-12, 04:00 PM
plus if you consider Neuer and Lahm will play in defense too, this got an immense upside. 4 out of 5 from the same club at the back who know each others runs / positioning etc. is great.

nirvana
09-05-12, 04:20 PM
I'm going for France to win it. England to not make it out of the group either.

Mark
09-05-12, 04:45 PM
What's with Puyol? Is he injured or retired now?

Haha, France - I remember Lee going on about how France would cream everybody at the WC. Look what happened there...

Then again - It's just like England every four years.

wato20
09-05-12, 04:52 PM
i'll go for Holland...

Patinoz
09-05-12, 05:03 PM
What's with Puyol? Is he injured or retired now?

knee injury, out for euro

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2012/05/09/3091089/puyol-not-ready-to-retire-yet-despite-missing-euro-2012

shikaka
09-05-12, 05:55 PM
i'll go for Holland...

They are worse then two years before in my opinion.

Van Persie is of course better (but he is quite injury prone still), but Sneijder and Kuijt went downhill since South Africa, Elia went down the toilet in Juventus...
They can still win of course, but I think the general consensus of them being top favourites is mainly not due to their present team, but what they did 2 years ago.

Spain: no Puyol (surgery) or Villa (broken leg) for them, and they should also be the most tired team because of their long season. It would be a surprise for me if they could defend their title!

France: now, they don't have aging, former stars like Henry of Vieira. They have some class of course (Benzema, Ribry), but most players are unproven on the highest level, and are really hungry for success (and a move to a better league). Also, they fit two important criteria, which is important to win a tournament: a defense* which is capable of winning games with not conceeding, and a few players who are used to deciding even matches. (Benzema, Ribry, Nasri...)

*Lloris - Debuchy, Sakho, Mexs, Koscielny, Rami, vra, Clichy...

Blue Demon
10-05-12, 07:27 AM
They are worse then two years before in my opinion.

Van Persie is of course better (but he is quite injury prone still), but Sneijder and Kuijt went downhill since South Africa, Elia went down the toilet in Juventus...
They can still win of course, but I think the general consensus of them being top favourites is mainly not due to their present team, but what they did 2 years ago.

Elia ... lol

Huntelaar, Robben, Affelay ? This cup is gonna be ours. :D

shikaka
10-05-12, 08:22 AM
Elia ... lol

Huntelaar, Robben, Affelay ? This cup is gonna be ours. :D

Forgot about Huntelaar, that is true.
I still think that Netherlands were better 2 years ago (but can still win this year).

Erkifino
10-05-12, 09:56 AM
I'g go with Germany even if Mertesacker plays every game! He'll probably score the winner!

churky
10-05-12, 09:58 AM
Elia has only ever been good on PlayStation.

Mark
10-05-12, 11:16 AM
I'll sort a sweepstake out once the EPL season is finished if everybody is up for it?

Thank my post if you're interested and I'll post a new topic about it or something and PM you all :)

Patinoz
10-05-12, 11:39 AM
thought about that too. deffo up for it.

Mark
10-05-12, 11:42 AM
We can call it just a fiver or a tenner depending on the number of people who are interested :)

Only 16 teams at the Euros (I think) so hopefully we can find 16 heads to participate.

nirvana
10-05-12, 11:55 AM
Is Hodgson actually naming his final 23 before working with the players at all? Mental

I know the England squad is in a state were there won't be really any great players being left out this time around, but fuck me that's stupid.

The way their games pan out. A loss to France, a draw with Sweden and then needing a very good win against host nation Ukraine to go through, is not beyond reason. Difinitely bunging a few quid on them failing to get out of that group. The clammour for an English manager, without actually looking to see if there was one good enough first, is going to be their downfall. Some call his cv experience, I just see 36 years of mediocrity.

Mark
10-05-12, 12:21 PM
Not sure what his plans are but he is known for being meticulous and his attention to detail - I'm sure he'll know which players he actually wants to take.

I know what you mean though - It does seem like common sense to name say 30 players for the friendlies that are lined up before we go to the Euros itself.

nirvana
10-05-12, 12:28 PM
Not sure what his plans are but he is known for being meticulous and his attention to detail - I'm sure he'll know which players he actually wants to take.

I know what you mean though - It does seem like common sense to name say 30 players for the friendlies that are lined up before we go to the Euros itself.

I've got to have read it wrong, and this is what's actually going to happen. Even if he's pretty positive about his 23, bringing 30 and giving 7 the chance to impress, hurts no one.

I've not known an England manager doing the opposite before tbh. There has been harder decisions on players to leave out before though.

Mark
10-05-12, 01:11 PM
I think you have, I've read a report now and he's going to be naming a preliminary squad next Wednesday :ok:

Fods
10-05-12, 01:40 PM
Is Hodgson actually naming his final 23 before working with the players at all? Mental

I know the England squad is in a state were there won't be really any great players being left out this time around, but fuck me that's stupid.

The way their games pan out. A loss to France, a draw with Sweden and then needing a very good win against host nation Ukraine to go through, is not beyond reason. Difinitely bunging a few quid on them failing to get out of that group. The clammour for an English manager, without actually looking to see if there was one good enough first, is going to be their downfall. Some call his cv experience, I just see 36 years of mediocrity.

Igor, welcome back :hi:

nirvana
12-05-12, 03:47 PM
?

Don't know who you mean to be honest mate.

Dermotron
12-05-12, 10:08 PM
But to be honest I would be pleasantly surprised if we saw something interesting, judging by the trend. The classic playmakers are dead, teams who have better defensive records (after group matches) win great tournaments from like Euro2000...

2004, Greece, 0
2006, Italy, 1
2008, Spain, 0
2010, Spain, 0

I expect this trend to continue, few goals, boring matches, and a boring team again.

I hope this trend continues and we are the ones keeping it up :P

Would probably die drinking if we 'do a Greece' :lol:

ebfatz
15-05-12, 10:37 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Rio Ferdinand to be left out of England squad.

Roy Hodgson spoke with John Terry and Rio Ferdinand on Tuesday and has decided that only one can go to Euro2012.

AMC
15-05-12, 11:33 PM
Walker out as well, and apparently Richards and crouch too! Johnson and who else for RB then?

Redknapp69
15-05-12, 11:51 PM
Phil Jones can cover it

ebfatz
16-05-12, 12:28 AM
Johnson and who else for RB then?

Knew there was a reason they'd signed up Gary Neville :lol:

Blue Demon
16-05-12, 07:02 AM
9 players were dropped from the 36 man big dutch team. Most noticable names among the 9 that wont be going are; Hedwiges Maduro, Urby Emanuelson and Georginio Wijnaldum. Still 4 players to be dropped at a later stage, most noticable player still in the 27 now has to be 18 yo Adam Maher(AZ). The creative midfielder is one of the worlds biggest talents in his age group. Holland will play a friendly against Bayern next tuesday, who will most likely field the players that didnt play in the CL final coming weekend.

Dermotron
16-05-12, 09:21 AM
We should have tried get him, with a name like that he surely has Irish heritage :P

ebfatz
16-05-12, 12:39 PM
Oliver Kay ‏ @OliverKayTimes
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is IN England's Euro 2012 squad

12 minutes ago

Should go to the Olympics instead in my opinion.

ebfatz
16-05-12, 04:20 PM
Rio's response to being dropped?

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/580668935.png?key=498353&Expires=1337182457&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=ABePu8upi30Tm9JYaPnLN1f5D7cJbyxuUPGPdqI8 Z0JXcA-R3F5CBrpYdpVUyh1fLJoSzaUR-lEc7rMXErukdsrVBS5g5vFQyKydv7gJ3i581OXZtuy6KSitfyp LvqxFSrQDN2qv-jaWv4eulVItdmbZOF1LWsnMUFuXpABcThk_

Redknapp69
16-05-12, 05:45 PM
Think it's a decent squad for a tournament now - Downing is the lucky one to get in IMO

churky
16-05-12, 05:50 PM
Guys, how about we organize a little score prediction league of some sort for EURO? Every day, every participant predicts a correct score of both games of the day, and then we give points for predicting the outcome (1 point) and the score (2 points), for example.
It doesn't have to be for money, but just for a laugh. The winner could get a month's worth VIP status or something, I don't know.

Redknapp69
16-05-12, 06:01 PM
I'm in

ebfatz
16-05-12, 08:09 PM
Sounds good to me.

Craig Forrest
16-05-12, 08:22 PM
Think Carroll deserves to be in the squad? He scored a few at the end of the year so I guess that's why he's in? Surely you Englishers have better forwards though?

Blue Demon
16-05-12, 08:24 PM
Euro Under 17 - Final

May 16

Pen. Germany U17 1 - 1 Netherlands U17 *

Now for the big boys. :D

youngwolf
16-05-12, 08:25 PM
Downing being selected seriously pisses me off. Ahead of Lennon, Jarvis and Dyer who have been a lot better, I would have even preferred Adam Johnson ahead of him

Dermotron
17-05-12, 11:08 AM
Duran Duran have just released a new track for the euros. "His name is Rio and he watches from the stands".

Dermotron
19-05-12, 11:58 AM
But Ireland have indeed released this - fucking brilliant!

:rockon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_I0-ZPSFWo

nirvana
19-05-12, 12:13 PM
Should have been titled the quick road home from Poland.

Dermotron
19-05-12, 12:16 PM
We'll see :)

churky
19-05-12, 12:24 PM
We'll see :)

If you lose to us, you might as well pack your bags. :)
The same goes for us, though.

Dermotron
19-05-12, 12:39 PM
Indeed Churky. I am thinking 5 points will be good enough for 2nd in the group so a draw might not be the end of the road. Depends on what Spain turn up to the tournament.

Dermotron
20-05-12, 05:49 PM
England manager Roy Hodgson believes Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard can form an effective partnership in midfield at Euro 2012.

The pair have often failed to fire playing alongside each other for the national team, despite their success with Liverpool and Chelsea respectively.

But with both named in the 23-man squad for the European Championships, Hodgson is refusing to rule out picking Liverpool captain Gerrard and Chelsea veteran Lampard in the same team.

"I know it hasn't worked well in the past and that is why I don't want to say 'it is nonsense, of course it can work," Hodgson told Sky Sports.

"I would be flying in the face of quite a lot of evidence you can put before me to prove it is not true. Sometimes players don't gel for certain reasons.

"I need to work with them to find that out for myself. I can't guarantee I won't be saying the same as other people once I've done that, but I am happy to give them a chance because I have seen them both do very good central midfield jobs for their club sides.

"I can't really see any reason why they can't play together."

Hodgson also spoke of the enthusiastic response he received from players when discussing his plans for England's Euro 2012 campaign, citing Gerrard as an example.

"I know Steven is burning to bring the qualities he has got to England. He has made that perfectly clear to me," he said.

"I have been buoyed by some of the conversations I have had. You never know when you speak to players who have not always had the best of times and taken a lot of criticism for their performances.

"I wasn't certain I was going to get that enthusiasm - 'pick me, I want to play, give me that shirt, please don't take it from me'."

England begin their European Championship campaign against Group D opponents France on June 11, with matches against Sweden and tournament co-hosts Ukraine to follow.

Should have gone to Specsavers

puckinfissed
20-05-12, 07:02 PM
Hodgson already proved to be called a yes man in naming Glen Johnson and Stewart Downing.. How on earth was Glen Johnson chosen over Micah Richards is beyond me. I don't understand the reason why Micah Richards is being ignored by England yet again, is he something he has done we don't know about? He had a great season, sure he didn't play as much football as Glen Johnson did, but when he did he out performed him in every way possible. As for Steward Downing he's selection is a complete disgrace.. 36 games, 0 goals and 0 assists.. After this he still gets selected ahead Adam Johnson, who again didn't play as much football as Downing but still scored 6 goals in the league, most of which was coming off the bench.. That's exactly what we need!

I don't rate Theo Walcott to high, but he's got the goals and assists this season to warrant his place, there's no reason why Steward Downing should have been called up.. Very frustrating, not that I had high hope of England winning!

Patinoz
21-05-12, 11:13 AM
congrats to spain. with bayern losing germanys euro dreams are over.

churky
21-05-12, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure how motivated the Spanish players will be. They've won the double, and now it'll be very difficult for Del Bosque to keep them fired up. They're still the major favourites, but all the teams on EURO are capable of playing one storming match in knock-out round which could send Spain (as well as any other "top" nation) home early.

Bayern players have only themselves to blame, so now they have a chance to show that famous German never-give-up attitude and determination.

Fods
21-05-12, 02:14 PM
congrats to spain. with bayern losing germanys euro dreams are over.

Whats this? reverse physcology or something? ahh poor pat, first post back after the CL loss is in here making excuses for the Germans poor Euro 2012 showing :D

I feel the same as Hodgosn, why cant two of the 'best' midfielders in the world play together, ok its not worked in major comps before but these guys are alot older now.. cant run as much so Id of thought theyd be 'clverer'.. one goes forward so one sits mentality... this is not a bad team at all hes picked, yeh Downing is in... but who else is there as a natural left winger... weve all seen playing Central or right sided players on the left doesnt work either... give him the euros and then judge him...

Patinoz
21-05-12, 06:03 PM
i am not making excuses but apparently you dont understand the psychological impact this has.

barring the bayern players, everybody else is already assembled in sardinia.

if they had won, they'd be joining all those other guys being extremely pumped and giving the whole team a confidence boost which could have seen them carrying the team to the euro win.

now they have to get over that disappointment and arrive in a completely different mood. thats not good especially since 5-7 bayern players will be in the starting XI at the euro.

i am not saying we cant win it but the odds would have been better if bayern won the cl.

LR
21-05-12, 06:42 PM
For those 5-7 Bayern players, winning the Euro is the last chance to achieve anything this season. That's enough motivation.

Patinoz
21-05-12, 07:34 PM
i agree, you can argue like that.

but imo you are more likely to win stuff when you are self-confident.

puckinfissed
21-05-12, 10:39 PM
i agree, you can argue like that.

but imo you are more likely to win stuff when you are self-confident.

England should be over-confident then.. Terry, Cahill, Cole and Lampard just won the CL.. and more importantly Carrol, Gerrard, G.Johnson and Downing have just won the Carling Cup.. they should be pumped!

swedishcmgod
21-05-12, 11:06 PM
hahaa, Roy Hodgson, the only things he has ever won is the swedish and danish premier divisions, and the swedish cup. A lot less appealing than Svennis :ok:

Predictions:
England:
England - France 1-2
Sweden - England 1-1 (tight game where Rooney scores in the 22nd minute, then Mellberg heads in a corner in the 72nd minute)
England - Ukraine 2-0

Sweden:
Sweden - Ukraine 1-0 (prolly the tournament's most boring game)
Sweden - England 1-1 (look above :ok:)
Sweden - France 0-0 (prolly the tournament's second most boring game)

Ireland:
I have no idea of what to expect.

churky
21-05-12, 11:57 PM
No, the most boring game by far will be the very opening one: Poland-Greece. ;)

Fods
22-05-12, 07:36 AM
hahaa, Roy Hodgson, the only things he has ever won is the swedish and danish premier divisions, and the swedish cup. A lot less appealing than Svennis :ok:

Predictions:
England:
England - France 1-2
Sweden - England 1-1 (tight game where Rooney scores in the 22nd minute, then Mellberg heads in a corner in the 72nd minute)
England - Ukraine 2-0

Sweden:
Sweden - Ukraine 1-0 (prolly the tournament's most boring game)
Sweden - England 1-1 (look above :ok:)
Sweden - France 0-0 (prolly the tournament's second most boring game)

Ireland:
I have no idea of what to expect.

Rooney is banned until Englands game v Ukraine

churky
22-05-12, 09:52 AM
"Here is your free Excel spreadsheet with the Euro 2012 schedule of all tournament matches. The Excel Schedule automatically calculates the position of each team in the group tables and generates the knockout matches." (http://kickprophet.com/schedule/euro-2012.php)

Cool thing. :ok:

youngwolf
22-05-12, 10:40 PM
Gerrard and Lampard can play together, with someone behind them! We have stuck them together playing in the age old 4-4-2. Lampard has shown he can play a deeper role so with Gerrard pushed on a bit I think in a 4-3-3 it can work.

Patinoz
22-05-12, 10:42 PM
david villa not to play euro 2012

shikaka
23-05-12, 07:14 AM
Gerrard and Lampard can play together, with someone behind them! We have stuck them together playing in the age old 4-4-2. Lampard has shown he can play a deeper role so with Gerrard pushed on a bit I think in a 4-3-3 it can work.

What I don't get is why Gerrard a sure starter after this season?
He must be much more rested then the teammates, but otherwise?

ebfatz
25-05-12, 12:19 PM
Lucky he didn't cancel his wedding!
Would have been the worst summer EVER!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/england/18204979

Patinoz
25-05-12, 01:13 PM
a keeper playing in the 4th tier of english football gets called up to the national squad for the euro... :lol:

shikaka
25-05-12, 01:29 PM
a keeper playing in the 4th tier of english football gets called up to the national squad for the euro... :lol:

Doesn't really matter who sits on the bench in my opinion. They have 1 good goalkeeper and that's it...

youngwolf
25-05-12, 02:37 PM
Doesn't really matter who sits on the bench in my opinion. They have 1 good goalkeeper and that's it...

One of the best as well :)

youngwolf
25-05-12, 02:38 PM
What I don't get is why Gerrard a sure starter after this season?
He must be much more rested then the teammates, but otherwise?

Personally because he has always been one of the better players in tournaments for England.

Coys
25-05-12, 03:57 PM
Has he? news for me. The only player i ever remember playing well and giving 100% for the team is Owen Hargreaves in 2006.

Scooterfan
25-05-12, 05:46 PM
http://youtu.be/m4mrU23g7VA

Training in Info0s town?

Spudiator
25-05-12, 08:31 PM
Has he? news for me. The only player i ever remember playing well and giving 100% for the team is Owen Hargreaves in 2006.
What about Nicky Butt in 2002?

Patinoz
26-05-12, 10:23 PM
germany getting humiliated by switzerland, losing 5-3 :lol:

no bayern players present. wonder where all the germans who made fun of bayern are now. cant see any snide facebook comments anymore :rolleyes:

defense was a disgrace. mertesacker is slow and shit. but thats noting new.

hummels (best german defender my ass :lol:) wank, schmelzer wank, gtze non-existent. proves again that dortmund player are just awful internationally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MRaQ1wgG2I

Coys
26-05-12, 10:38 PM
Any opportunity to bash dortmund players you take well :)

Patinoz
26-05-12, 10:54 PM
yeah, cuz its that much different the other way around. you have no idea whats going on in germany.

just watch the highlights and tell me that i am wrong

churky
26-05-12, 11:45 PM
OMG the first goal in particular should be listed in football encyclopaedias under "shit defending". :shocked: The back four did absolutely everything wrong.

While we're on the subject, it's always been beyond me why Mertesacker is so highly valued, playing regularly for Germany etc. He has always been painfully slow and, for the better part, useless. He was shit even in Werder golden days.

Fods
28-05-12, 12:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tC6Fpu9XwU0

Topofthekop
28-05-12, 05:14 PM
Horrid Horrid defending.. Didnt offer much protection to Ter Stegen at all. Although quite why you rate him so highly considering he could have dealt with 2 of those chances.

Cant say much on behalf of the swiss either as their defence was equally as bad and Benaglio is shite :lol:

Mark
28-05-12, 10:18 PM
Yeah thanks a lot Germany, only team to do me out of money. Gheys!

Redknapp69
31-05-12, 07:33 AM
Shall we do a sweepstake or fantasy league for this?

Dermotron
31-05-12, 09:37 AM
It's in a sticky, 1st post in Football section :)

Patinoz
31-05-12, 07:17 PM
just read that lampard cant make the euro? that true?

Coys
31-05-12, 07:19 PM
100% true

Patinoz
31-05-12, 07:20 PM
doesnt really bother you guys? i know he aint what he used to be but he just won the cl and got lots of experience. cant hurt a team

Coys
31-05-12, 07:22 PM
Not Bothered in the slightest. He has never done it at International level.

Topofthekop
31-05-12, 07:56 PM
Called up Henderson as his replacement :lol:

Blue Demon
01-06-12, 08:32 AM
So, Holland played Slovakia on Wednesday and won 2-0. I wasnt impressed much by the team performance, but there was one player that shone; Ibrahim Affelay. I think the lineup came as close to the real deal as possible and this means the Bundesliga topscorer Huntelaar wont be in the first 11. Van Marwijk will play with van Persie in the SC position with Robben on the right and Affelay from the left. This also keeps Dirk Kuijt on the bench which is disappointing imo, but choices have to be made. After some experiments with vd Vaart as holding mid and left winger he will also have to take place on the bench as the Sneijder stand-in for AMC.

Behind the attacking 4 we will play with 2 defensive mids, which isnt my ideal, with Nigel de Jong and van Bommel. Imo 1 of those 2 would suffice, but our coach is a bit of a pussy and wants a good organisation. My idea is more Cruijfian; attack is the best defence. I wouldnt hesitate to play vd Vaart next to 1 of our 2 DMC`s or even make a midfield with vd Vaart/Sneijder/v Persie so Huntelaar can play SC.

The weakness again is our defense; with Mathijssen injured and a doubt for Denmark it`s likely that our only decent defender Heitinga will be partnered by Bouma, who has been over-the-hill for years. I hope he will pick the beast from Rotterdam Ron Vlaar if needed instead. Vd Wiel our rightback was absolutely awful against Slovakia and leftback Schaars(who is a midfielder)was invisible(0 runs/0 crosses). Hopefully the 18yo Willems will play leftback tmoz in the last friendly against N-Ireland and also in the tournament.

In goal we`ll be good no matter who of the 3 plays; Stekelenburg, Krul and Vorm are all 3 class players.

Patinoz
01-06-12, 10:04 AM
Germany played his last friendly before the Euro too last night.

We won 2-0 against Israel but it wasnt a very convincing performance. Either way, it was a win.

with Dormund players and without Bayern players, we conceded 5! goals against switzerland and lost.
without Dortmund players and with Bayern players, we win 2:0.

7 Bayern player, 2 Real Madrid player and 2 Arsenal player made up the starting XI last night. We seem to play the system we played at the last world cup, a 4-2-3-1.

Line-up was Neuer in goal which is a no-brainer. Lahm seems to have chosen to play on the left which is good since Schmelzer is shit, Boateng (who had a good game last night) moves to the right back position (despite playing DC for bayern), Badstuber (best german defender by a mile) and Mertesacker play as Centrebacks. Hummels left out. Hope that is gonna be the case at the Euros too cuz he is plain shit internationally.
Mertesacker aint the best either but him and Badstuber function fine. They played 8 games together as DC's, won all of them and only conceded a single goal. Either way, 4 out 5 defensive players are from Bayern which is a massive advantage especially with the very limited practice time the German team has. As i said, this defense is likely to be the one starting the Euro, especially since none of them got subbed last night and played through the entire game.

The 2 defensive midfielders were Kroos and Khedira last night. Kroos had one of his worse games for Germany and in case Schweinsteiger is fit for the Euro will most likely be moved to the bench since Lw wants 1 midfielder who focuses on defense (Khedira) and 1 midfielder who controls the game (schweini, kroos).

In front of those 2 are our 3 attacking mids. Podolski on the left, zil in the middle and Mller on the right. Poldi had a few chances to score but missed, Mller made the assist to the Gomez goal but should have scored one himself as well. zil was very quiet.

Only striker was Gomez who also scored the 1-0.

Schrrle and Klose got subbed in after 70 minutes. As always, Schrrle was absolutely brilliant when playing for Germany. Scored a beautiful goal to the 2-0 as well. The kind of goal he always seems to score for Germany. 7 goals in 14 matches now for the attacking midfielder. Quite frankly, if it wouldn't be Podolski and his 100 caps playing on the left, Schrrle would play. Never had a bad game for Germany.

Thats it. Again, this line-up is likely to be the one we are playing with at the euros except Schweinsteiger for Kroos. There has also been no decision made who is gonna be the striker. There aint even a tendency. No idea if Gomez or Klose is getting benched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDRNygaHFvc

Gomez goal at 1:45, brilliant Schrrle goal at 6:45

Blue Demon
01-06-12, 11:08 AM
Lahm vs Robben should be interesting. :)

youngwolf
01-06-12, 01:09 PM
Parker could be out, Karl Henry for England!

Dermotron
01-06-12, 01:13 PM
Just dawned on me that Henderson got called up ahead of Scholes :lol:

ClayDatsusara
01-06-12, 04:43 PM
So, Holland played Slovakia on Wednesday and won 2-0. I wasnt impressed much by the team performance, but there was one player that shone; Ibrahim Affelay. I think the lineup came as close to the real deal as possible and this means the Bundesliga topscorer Huntelaar wont be in the first 11. Van Marwijk will play with van Persie in the SC position with Robben on the right and Affelay from the left. This also keeps Dirk Kuijt on the bench which is disappointing imo, but choices have to be made. After some experiments with vd Vaart as holding mid and left winger he will also have to take place on the bench as the Sneijder stand-in for AMC.

Behind the attacking 4 we will play with 2 defensive mids, which isnt my ideal, with Nigel de Jong and van Bommel. Imo 1 of those 2 would suffice, but our coach is a bit of a pussy and wants a good organisation. My idea is more Cruijfian; attack is the best defence. I wouldnt hesitate to play vd Vaart next to 1 of our 2 DMC`s or even make a midfield with vd Vaart/Sneijder/v Persie so Huntelaar can play SC.

The weakness again is our defense; with Mathijssen injured and a doubt for Denmark it`s likely that our only decent defender Heitinga will be partnered by Bouma, who has been over-the-hill for years. I hope he will pick the beast from Rotterdam Ron Vlaar if needed instead. Vd Wiel our rightback was absolutely awful against Slovakia and leftback Schaars(who is a midfielder)was invisible(0 runs/0 crosses). Hopefully the 18yo Willems will play leftback tmoz in the last friendly against N-Ireland and also in the tournament.

In goal we`ll be good no matter who of the 3 plays; Stekelenburg, Krul and Vorm are all 3 class players.

good stuff! I'll pass this on to Paulo Bento :D

would you care to do the same detailed insight of the german team Pat?

Edit: I just saw you didi it! TY!!

now, if there is a danish guy over there...

Coys
01-06-12, 04:46 PM
Can i do a detailed insight on england please?

We're Shit.

youngwolf
01-06-12, 09:32 PM
Which is why we will do better than in recent tournaments

Patinoz
02-06-12, 01:14 AM
expecting to feel the wrath and snide comments by some members, i'd like to tell you about about a lw interview.

big article in tomorrows newspaper regarding the german national team and the lack of dortmund players. as of right now, 7 bayern players have secured a spot in the starting XI whereas no dortmund player is looking likely to get one. despite everybody in the world wanking to the oh-so-great dortmund.

since you ain't taking me seriously anyway, i'd like to ask you to take jogi lw seriously, undoubtedly one of the worlds elite managers right now. as i am saying it all the time, he meant as well that dortmund is lacking international experience which results in a lack of international class really.

they play great within their own system but are only "good" players, not great players, outside of it. which is shown by their performances both in the cl and for germany. which is shown by somebody like sahin playing for real (or rather not playing). zil was half the player in germany sahin was yet those roles got turned around when playing somewhere else for an elite club.
barring gtze who had a great game for germany against brazil (but is really struggling for form at the moment after his injury), all of the dortmund players were mediocre when it came to playing outside of their comfort zone.

either way, with or without dortmund player, i hope we win the euro. just thought the article was quite interesting since some people seem to sneer at me when i am mentioning those things.

auf geht's deutschland!

ClayDatsusara
02-06-12, 02:13 AM
hmmm... pat, I dont think anyone cares :D

yes, you dont rate dortmund, yet they won more things than bayern this year, and competing directly!

Bayern almost won the CL in the penalties, after eliminating Real in the same fashion... wow, that would have been a great achievement! <- notice the irony :P

but seriously now, with bayern players on the pitch for germany, it will be much more exciting to see Portugal beating you :D

Coys
02-06-12, 03:28 AM
:rofl: love info0

youngwolf
02-06-12, 09:22 PM
So you just wanted to go on about how Bayern are better than Dortmund, despite them finishing above you and smashing you in a cup final :D

BeezerCeltic1967
02-06-12, 10:21 PM
So you just wanted to go on about how Bayern are better than Dortmund, despite them finishing above you TWICE IN A ROW and smashing you in a cup final :D

Fixed that for ya Wolfy :ok:

Craig Forrest
02-06-12, 11:12 PM
Can i do a detailed insight on england please?

We're Shit.

But you were just telling me today how the back 4 of Cole, Terry, Cahill and Johnson were the best back 4 in the world?

Coys
02-06-12, 11:16 PM
They won the champions league bro!!!

Coys
02-06-12, 11:16 PM
Pique and Badstuber are world class

:rofl:

Craig Forrest
03-06-12, 12:40 AM
They won the champions league bro!!!

Well Cole and Cahill did.... terry was suspended and Johnson wasn't anywhere near it...

but guess what?.... Barca's (Spanish) defense also won the CL bro... but I'm sure you'll tell me their defense doesn't count because Barca have great possession...... but of course I could say that Chelsea's back 4 also had Cech organizing them and the other 6 players all back behind the ball helping out so it doesn't count for them either :P

Coys
03-06-12, 12:51 AM
I still think though, if you Swapped Chelseas defence with Barcelonas for the champions league final, Chelsea would have been much worse off. We haven't really hads a chance to see how good Barca's defence is yet because they are never outplayed or constantly on the back foot.

I rate Puyol a lot as a defender, he is no nonsense and a true leader. I just don't rate pique though. His defending is shocking.

Fods
03-06-12, 03:45 AM
What a fantastic finish from Welbeck, turn of pace and a great pass from Young...you know what... I fancy our chances for these Euros.. :D

shikaka
03-06-12, 08:28 AM
Pre-euro friendly, Czechia-Hungary 1-2. But guys, watch Dzsudzsk's goal:

from 0:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFcn6a3-VpQ

alternate site if the other is not working:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xr9gbf_czech-republic-vs-hungary-1-2-goals-highlights_sport#from=embediframe

I found it very funny! Dzsudzsk did this a few times in Hungary too, while playing in Debrecen. (asked the ref if he can shoot while telling him he doesn't mind if the defending players are closer then 9m)

Elliott
03-06-12, 09:09 AM
Goals like that show a real lack of etiquette

shikaka
03-06-12, 09:10 AM
Goals like that show a real lack of etiquette

Not that it matters :)

youngwolf
03-06-12, 11:35 AM
Fixed that for ya Wolfy :ok:

info0
03-06-12, 11:51 AM
Poland to go out of group imo :D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7k9ReW_yf0&feature=g-all-lik

We have the trio who won Bundesliga after all xD.

ClayDatsusara
03-06-12, 08:04 PM
waiting for Pat to thank the post above :D

ps: oh, and that dsudzak goal shows whats wrong in the footbal today... the refs shouldnt let things like this go by...

Fods
04-06-12, 09:04 AM
Cahill ruled out, Martin Kelly called up :rofl:

Topofthekop
04-06-12, 12:08 PM
Cahill ruled out, Martin Kelly called up :rofl:

Means Jones will now be centre back with Kelly as backup RB.... Seems the Ferdinand/Terry saga is behind the reasons even though Hodgson wouldnt say so, its blindingly obvious for all to see.

Coys
04-06-12, 12:10 PM
Need a bit of help guys

Need to know from any french, dutch or swedish fans

Will Kosc start at CB for france in the Euros?
Will Affelay play?
Will Rasmus Elm Play?

Fantasy football related :P

cheers :ok:

Topofthekop
04-06-12, 12:13 PM
Need a bit of help guys

Need to know from any french, dutch or swedish fans

Will Kosc start at CB for france in the Euros?
Will Affelay play?
Will Rasmus Elm Play?

Fantasy football related :P

cheers :ok:

Elm most likely
Affelay - possibly as left side of attacking 3
koscielny - no idea.. Are france really that shit?

Blue Demon
04-06-12, 02:20 PM
Affelay will play, 100%. He`s the manager`s fav player.

shikaka
04-06-12, 02:32 PM
Affelay will play, 100%. He`s the manager`s fav player.

Plus Kuijt is quite downhill since South Africa. (pity, he is one of my favourite players)

koscielny - no idea.. Are france really that shit?

French back pair is usually Mexs-Rami nowadays. With Sakho and Koscielny backups.

oh, and that dsudzak goal shows whats wrong in the footbal today... the refs shouldnt let things like this go by...

I think refs shouldn't disallow perfectly legal goals... I actually like these, shows that a players has good vision.

Dermotron
04-06-12, 07:46 PM
I hope you didn't end up going to see your national team tonight Shikaka - you will be bored to tears by ours :lol:

Fods
04-06-12, 11:09 PM
i think refs shouldn't disallow perfectly legal goals... I actually like these, shows that a players has good vision.

Agree with this :ok:

Patinoz
04-06-12, 11:13 PM
absolutely disagree since its completely unfair on defense.

a.) if you always stand straight in front of the ball at every free kick, you'll get a yellow card for that eventually, but if you play "fair" and don't, you get goals like that

b.) there is no consistency. 90% of refs signal that they are gonna blow in the whistle to restart the game. so you rely on it eventually. either make it a rule that the ref always has to blow in his whistle first or make it a rule that the shooter can do what he wants. but not this wishy-washy shit with some refs doing it one way and other refs doing it another. thats bullshit.

p.s. what has that got to do with vision? the goalie has to move to the post every time to direct his wall. scoring a ball from 20 metres when everybody is listening to the ref directing the wall and the goalie is on the other side of goal, is hardly vision or skill.

Fods
05-06-12, 12:41 AM
If youve played pat you will know all you have to do is ask the ref, he will say yes or wait for the whistle! Easy

ClayDatsusara
05-06-12, 02:00 AM
so, we got a team getting set for a free kick, the other team doesnt wait for the barrier to be formed, the referee allows the game to restart without the defending team being noticed or ready... what's the use of the ref again? why does he have a whistle, and why does he use it when a free kick is being taken? we cant have two different measures, the rules must have one meaning, and one only.

and fair-play, it cant get more obviously than this. if you do this, you dont have any fair-ply imo. it aint players fault (we all know they do all to get advantage of these dubious situations, it's their aim in the game), it seems to be refs fault - they exist to make the game fair! or else tackles and violence and racist shouts would go unnoticed - but, mainly, it's International Football Association Board's fault, they should rule on this. . . . why on earth a player taking his shirt off when celebrating is a bookable offense, and this kind of trickery is not???

laws are not to be followed only, they are to be challenged and changed when immoral and unfair

ClayDatsusara
05-06-12, 02:49 AM
anyway, this is the euro 12 thread! funny fact: did you know england will play at a stadium called the dumbass arena?

BeezerCeltic1967
05-06-12, 05:41 AM
can't blv the way that rio is getting treated by england, how the feck can he still not have been called up is shocking. woy will be under stinking pressure if england have a poor tourny.
it's a joke that the thing between that c%t terry and ferdinands brother has been allowed to affect englands chances in the euro.

Scooterfan
05-06-12, 05:54 AM
Italy looked fucked before the tournament has already started. Half the squad could be missing due to this match-fixing scandal, plus they lost 3-0 at home to Russia over the weekend.

shikaka
05-06-12, 06:36 AM
I hope you didn't end up going to see your national team tonight Shikaka - you will be bored to tears by ours :lol:

There was a great storm in the city, so the irish played on home turf :)
The match itself was not bad, and even though for the irish avoiding injuries was the main thing, a draw is not bad for this hungarian team. (We missed Juhsz, Rudolf, Gera, Elek, Hajnal...)

What I don't really understand is: how this will work for Ireland in the Euros? I mean even a team like Hungary 'B' had about 8-10 shots on goal! (Given was great yesterday BTW).

Italy looked fucked before the tournament has already started. Half the squad could be missing due to this match-fixing scandal, plus they lost 3-0 at home to Russia over the weekend.

I thought it is Criscito only?
The game against Russia doesn't matter: when did you last see an italian playing well on a friendly? :D

nirvana
05-06-12, 08:11 AM
The English Fa really are a laugh. They ban a guy for 9 games for saying black in Spanish, yet they'll finish another's international career cause the fitter option at centre back is due in court for calling his brother a black cunt.

You couldn't make it up.

Fods
05-06-12, 08:42 AM
so, we got a team getting set for a free kick, the other team doesnt wait for the barrier to be formed, the referee allows the game to restart without the defending team being noticed or ready... what's the use of the ref again? why does he have a whistle, and why does he use it when a free kick is being taken? we cant have two different measures, the rules must have one meaning, and one only.

and fair-play, it cant get more obviously than this. if you do this, you dont have any fair-ply imo. it aint players fault (we all know they do all to get advantage of these dubious situations, it's their aim in the game), it seems to be refs fault - they exist to make the game fair! or else tackles and violence and racist shouts would go unnoticed - but, mainly, it's International Football Association Board's fault, they should rule on this. . . . why on earth a player taking his shirt off when celebrating is a bookable offense, and this kind of trickery is not???

laws are not to be followed only, they are to be challenged and changed when immoral and unfair

Any footballer in the world is told to stay alert, stay alive for every second you are on that pitch. The ref blows the whistle for the free kick, indicates direct or indirect, player says ref can I take it quick, he either says yes or no.. jobs a good un, some refs you let you do it some don't, all part and parcel of the game

Dermotron
05-06-12, 08:56 AM
There was a great storm in the city, so the irish played on home turf :)
The match itself was not bad, and even though for the irish avoiding injuries was the main thing, a draw is not bad for this hungarian team. (We missed Juhsz, Rudolf, Gera, Elek, Hajnal...)

What I don't really understand is: how this will work for Ireland in the Euros? I mean even a team like Hungary 'B' had about 8-10 shots on goal! (Given was great yesterday BTW).

Actually entertaining for a 0-0 draw. And a lot more entertaining than I'd ever thought we'd be. We weren't great but why would players be going flat out when they start a major championship in 6 days? Hungary's future prospects look good even though you guys seriously need to find some muscle somewhere, very lightweight team physically.

Couple of poor linesman decisions stopped to clear goals for us, but no complaints, keeps us nicely tuned up for Croatia.

Given is always great, most under rated keeper in the world :ok:

churky
05-06-12, 09:57 AM
Getting really excited about this. :)

ebfatz
05-06-12, 07:33 PM
Given is always great, most under rated keeper in the world :ok:

Always one of my favourite keepers.
Used to save us 7-9 points a season when he was at Newcastle.

A Top 3 keeper of the Prem era easy.

Coys
05-06-12, 07:42 PM
What the hell is he doing at Villa?

nirvana
05-06-12, 08:09 PM
Find Given over-rated myself. A great keeper for a smaller team with their backs to the wall but never a big team keeper.

Smallish, great shot stopper. (something that always brings the most praise to keepers). Dodgy at times in every other area needed in a sound keeper. Doesn't control his box well enough & I bet you some of those screamers that did fly past him would have been easily saved by a taller keeper with better positioning.

Dermotron
05-06-12, 11:28 PM
What the hell is he doing at Villa?

Taking 1st offer going at the time imo

Find Given over-rated myself. A great keeper for a smaller team with their backs to the wall but never a big team keeper.

Smallish, great shot stopper. (something that always brings the most praise to keepers). Dodgy at times in every other area needed in a sound keeper. Doesn't control his box well enough & I bet you some of those screamers that did fly past him would have been easily saved by a taller keeper with better positioning.

Think he got unlucky at City. Injury cost him his spot after Hart had done well at Birmingham. Probably left it too late to move to a bigger club. Should have been Arsenal's number one but Wenger thought the extra 2m was too much . . . Almunia cost them about 40 times that in prize money and sponsorship

Mark
06-06-12, 11:57 AM
BIG KO IN JUST 2 DAYS TIME....!

And I've not even got a fucking aerial in the new pad :doh:

shikaka
06-06-12, 01:38 PM
Probably left it too late to move to a bigger club.

Sometimes it happens.

I always found it strange that Friedel, Given, Frey and Jaaskalainen are not in teams who are playing in the CL every year.

Quite similar now is Handanovic of Udinese: He is class for years, but probably noone wants to pay 10-15 million for a 28 y/o keeper.

Coys
06-06-12, 01:50 PM
Friedel in particular

Just a great goalkeeper all round. Commands his box, good in the air, and his reflexes for a 41 year old are superb!

I think i can only count 2 minor mistakes for Spurs all season, where as Gomes usually makes about 5-6 major ones :lol:

Dermotron
06-06-12, 02:17 PM
Friedel was a really late developer though even though that could have due to being stuck behind James and Westerveld at Liverpool. His form over the last 5-6 years has been world class and it was strange that no1 ever took a chance on him from Blackburn sooner.

If it's one thing all those keepers lack is huge persona (with the exception of maybe Frey). At international level Given is never short on roaring at his defence but it's not something you'd associate with his club career. He's more a 'make the saves and get on with it' type keeper. Same could be said of Friedel and Jaaskalainen.

Fods
06-06-12, 02:51 PM
Nope, never shouts at his defense :)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47707000/jpg/_47707688_shay_given_afp.jpg

Dermotron
06-06-12, 02:56 PM
Don't think anyone said never shouts :ok:

Fods
06-06-12, 02:59 PM
Friedel was a really late developer though even though that could have due to being stuck behind James and Westerveld at Liverpool. His form over the last 5-6 years has been world class and it was strange that no1 ever took a chance on him from Blackburn sooner.

If it's one thing all those keepers lack is huge persona (with the exception of maybe Frey). At international level Given is never short on roaring at his defence but it's not something you'd associate with his club career. He's more a 'make the saves and get on with it' type keeper. Same could be said of Friedel and Jaaskalainen.

Was this that confused me, must be the Irish :ok:

That pic was taken at club career ;)

Dermotron
06-06-12, 03:04 PM
It's pretty straight forward English :ok:

Not associated doesn't imply never :ok:

Here's hope he has a good Euros or we're in for a few hammerings.

Fods
06-06-12, 03:05 PM
First pic I googled, "associated' him with roaring. :ok:

Dermotron
06-06-12, 03:24 PM
First pic I googled, "associated' him with roaring. :ok:

0/24. Next 24 are the same. 'lucky' break?

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/Lowskys/CM0102/shay_given.jpg

Coys
06-06-12, 06:29 PM
:lol:

Patinoz
06-06-12, 06:43 PM
are you guys really arguing about this :lol:

Blue Demon
06-06-12, 07:23 PM
Yeh, let`s argue about Germany not surviving group B. :D

Patinoz
06-06-12, 07:25 PM
you never know. much is dependant on our first game. a loss against portugal and almost "all" is over.

Dermotron
06-06-12, 07:59 PM
Will ties in the group come down to goal difference or head to head?

Patinoz
06-06-12, 08:13 PM
Tie-breaking criteria
If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:[31]

Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
If, after having applied criteria 1) to 3), two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1) to 3) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5) to 9) apply in the order given;[32]
superior goal difference in all group matches;
higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system
fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
drawing of lots

Note: As all teams have different UEFA national team coefficient, the last two tie-breakers (i.e. fair play conduct and drawing of lots) will never be applied in this tournament.

so head-to-head decides.

Dermotron
06-06-12, 08:28 PM
Could be proper fucked if you lose to Portugal so indeed. That's assuming the Danes lose all 3 games

ebfatz
06-06-12, 08:49 PM
If Ireland finish Group C level with any other team (Pts, head2head, Goal diff, gls scored etc) they'd go OUT due to lower UEFA ranking.

If England finish Group D level with any other team (Pts, head2head, Goal diff, gls scored etc) they'd go THRU due to higher UEFA ranking.

England are apparently 6th best team in the world!!

shikaka
06-06-12, 09:00 PM
England are apparently 6th best team in the world!!

Yep, while Denmark is 9th (!). Of course it is understandable, they are way better then Serbia (34th) or Poland (62th).
(this ranking stinks)

Patinoz
06-06-12, 09:05 PM
apparently jerome boateng is about to lose his spot as right defender.

it was pretty much certain that he is gonna start as Germany's DR but news broke of him meeting just hours before germanys take-off to poland with a chick who is basically just known for being blonde and having big tits. both got seen going into a hotel room together at 2am. which is a bit awkward since boateng got a girlfriend (wife?) and kids.

either way, lw had lars bender playing as DR in the first team today. might be pissed at boateng.

Coys
06-06-12, 09:09 PM
Why is everybody so shocked england are 6th in the world? :P

info0
06-06-12, 09:38 PM
:D cos you're piss poor tbf :P.

Never winning anything xD.

Fods
07-06-12, 12:34 AM
http://aipetcher.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/world-cup-1966.jpg

Blue Demon
07-06-12, 07:55 AM
Joris Mathijsen is 99% sure to miss the first game against Denmark, and likely to miss Germany too. A decision to call a replacement up is gonna be made tmoz. Vlaar is most likely to partner Heitinga in central defense vs Denmark

Dermotron
07-06-12, 09:14 AM
That good, bad or better for Holland BD? Always good to know from a betting perspective :D

Patinoz
07-06-12, 09:21 AM
i heard he is 80% to miss the entire euro and bouma is gonna replace him as DC.

either way, i don't rate mathijsen that highly anyway. still better than the others though so i guess its bad news for holland playing with a new centreback duo

Erkifino
07-06-12, 09:47 AM
Getting closer ... C'mon Ireland!

Dermotron
07-06-12, 10:03 AM
Great video this :D (well the start anyhow!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSbIVoy3XWw

Coys
07-06-12, 10:06 AM
Pat do you know if it's Hummels or Mertesacker yet? :D

Dermotron
07-06-12, 10:29 AM
Zonal Marking have done a great review on how we play - http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06/06/euro-2012-preview-ireland/#more-8775

Churky, prepare for aerial bombardment :lol:

Patinoz
07-06-12, 10:53 AM
Pat do you know if it's Hummels or Mertesacker yet? :D

nope. looks like he is gonna keep it secret til the end. you'll just have to gamble.

Coys
07-06-12, 10:55 AM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Blue Demon
07-06-12, 11:18 AM
Most people will say it`s bad for Holland when we miss Mathijssen. Vlaar is imo the first choice replacement, who offers something that Mathijssen doesnt, scoring(headers)ability. A problem could be leftback Willems, who is very young and unexperienced and needs to be coached by someone like Heitinga/Mathijssen.

A new option that is being discussed atm is playing Nigel de Jong in the Mascherano role. This would open up a holding mid position where vd Vaart could play. To me this sounds very unlikely because we dont know v Marwijk as an experimental manager, but oh how I would love to see that happen vs Denmark. :)

Still, the most probable lineup will be:

Stekelenburg

Willems-Vlaar-Heitinga-vd Wiel

de Jong-v Bommel

Affelay-Sneijder-Robben

v Persie

churky
07-06-12, 11:24 AM
In other words, cutting inside galore.

Baz
07-06-12, 11:24 AM
How soon into the tournament will De Jong or Van Bommel get booked Deems? 10mins?

Coys
07-06-12, 12:02 PM
My england team. Won't be what Roy picks though.

Hart

Jones - Lescott - Terry - Cole

Gerrard - Parker

Walcott Young Ox

Welbeck

Blue Demon
07-06-12, 12:05 PM
How soon into the tournament will De Jong or Van Bommel get booked Deems? 10mins?

That will allways be the downside of holding mids like that, on the other hand the combination of them and the wingers cutting inside allows the fullbacks to go forward non-stop to play maximum pressing. That`s the idea. The system can easily be turned around by taking off 1 of the DMC`s and bringing in someone like Narsing on the right, moving Robben to the left and Affelay to midfield.

Patinoz
07-06-12, 12:21 PM
News following germanys press conference involving lw and lahm:

lahm will play as left-back opposed to the right-back position he plays at bayern

schweinsteiger supposedly fit, barring him re-injuring himself tomorrow, he'll play against portugal

while lw said boateng is first choice at RB, he very much emphasized that bender did very very well in practice. almost wanked over how well bender did in practice at the rb position. lw harshly criticized boateng for his hotel meeting with some slut. doesnt look good for boateng. i reckon if we'd be playing against denmark, lw would play bender since he is very pissed with boateng. considering though we are playing against portugal and our right back will have to defend CR7 and bender has never played as right back for leverkusen, I THINK boateng will play. so despite lw being very displeased with boateng, I THINK it's too dangerous playing an unproven bender against cr7 in the very important first game which basically determines the outlook for the whole tournament.

mertesacker had to abandon practice today following a clash with boateng. that sucks. looks like hummels is gonna play. eeek

Fods
07-06-12, 02:27 PM
My england team. Won't be what Roy picks though.

Hart

Jones - Lescott - Terry - Cole

Gerrard - Parker

Walcott Young Ox

Welbeck
'
Thats mine too, however, I think he will see Kelly (RB) and Carroll up top

Coys
07-06-12, 02:57 PM
Comparing us to Netherlands. I'll try not to be bias.

Hart v Stekelenburg - For me Hart is the winner here, but only because he plays in a better league and for a better club and has proven himself there. Both outstanding keepers though.

I think England's entire back 4 is better, perhaps with the exception of Jones for VDW at rightback if any of them even play there. Despite this Holland are always a tough side to break down due to their defensive midfield players and playing well as a defensive unit. England should be able to do the same.

DeJong + Van Bommel v Parker and Gerrard - Pretty similar in this area. We should be more of a threat going forward though as Gerrard will be our box to box. I actually think we edge this one.

Robben, Affelay and Sneijder v Walcott, Ox and Young. No Contest here really. Although one day i think OX will become as good as Robben, Young is probably on par with Affelay at the moment (if not better due to playing for his club) and Walcott is just walcott. Without Rooney in the team there is no comparison to Sneijder.

Van Persie wins by himself since no Rooney.

Overall i don't think we are as far behind Holland as we think. Their front 4 is better on paper but i'd say that is just about it. And to think this is without us having Wilshere, Cahill, Ferdinand, Rooney etc. I see no reason why we shouldn't be competing with them at all?

Joint Team.

Hart

VDW Lescott Terry Cole

Parker Gerrard

Robben Sneijder Young

Van Persie

7-4 England :D

Am i deluded? let's wait and see

nirvana
07-06-12, 04:04 PM
Should go back and compare them man to man against the Germany team that put 4 past them. ;)

I honestly don't think this England team is much better, if at all, than Russia, Portugal and all those others from that middling group of also rans. I didn't think they'd make it out of the group with a fully fit squad, and now they've been dropping like flies through injury & selecting players that aren't the best possible pick to accommodate Terry, well....

There's hope for future with the current crop of England u18-23 players tho. A lot of technically gifted footballers, something that you'd struggle to say about any recent England side. Wilshire recovering fully will give them a world class player in the middle of the park for years.

Really buzzing for the ko tomorrow down. Laddies are giving a free bet every day to earn points. Went for Poland/Lewandowki any time.

Coys
07-06-12, 04:13 PM
Should go back and compare them man to man against the Germany team that put 4 past them. ;)

ok :D Based on paper at how each player should perform

Neuer > James

Lahm = Cole
Friedrich > Johnson
Terry > Mertesacker
Boateng > Upson

Schweinsteiger > Barry
Ozil > Lampard (never good in an england shirt)
Gerrard > Khedira

Podolski > Defoe
Rooney > Klose

7-4 Germany and basically 8-3 because Rooney had the worst tourny ever.

Patinoz
07-06-12, 06:15 PM
rooney > klose :lol:

klose is ten times the player rooney is at wc's and ec's

nvm, read it properly again.

nirvana
07-06-12, 06:16 PM
So you agree with what Coys actually wrote then.

Patinoz
07-06-12, 06:24 PM
not really but me and coys got a bad past and ain't gonna agree anyway.

the thread will just turn shite.

plus i dont even know what he is actually comparing. the players individual skill or their play at the tournament etc.

Blue Demon
07-06-12, 06:34 PM
Am i deluded?

100%

Coys
07-06-12, 06:43 PM
So you think Netherlands have a better Defence and 2 better holding midfielders than England? i think most people would say you don't. They just perform better as a team than ours do. Now i'm starting to sound like pat with Dortmund and Bayern :lol:

Coys
07-06-12, 06:43 PM
not really but me and coys got a bad past and ain't gonna agree anyway.

the thread will just turn shite.

plus i dont even know what he is actually comparing. the players individual skill or their play at the tournament etc.

Just give your opinion, i think 8-3 is pretty fair if you ask me.

Aula
07-06-12, 06:56 PM
"Funny" facts:

*There are more players playing in Euros from Leicester City (2), than Inter (1).
*Ireland has lost only one away game during 5 years (Against Brazil in London)
*Ireland is also the only team where there are no players coming from home league.
*Only three nations being coached by forigner manager (Ireland, Greece and Portugal)
*Five years ago Lewandowski showed no hope as he played couple of matches for Legia reserv and was released afterwards.
*Franczszisek Smuda managed Lech Poznan when he was called to watch 20 year old Lewandowski. After 15 minutes he was disappointed and said to man who reccomended him: "You own me gas money. If I wanted to watch trees, I would have gone to forest instead"
*Wojciech Szczesny has broken both of his arms once while lifting weights.
*Wojciech Szczesny father has also played under current Poland manager and he often calls Szczesny by the name of his father.
*There are couple of french playing for Poland. Obraniak was recently applaused has he managed to say out few polish words.
*Michal Kadlec is son of former Czech captain Miroslav Kadlec, both are known as good penalty takers.
*Kyriakos Papadopoulos brought his mother with him to Germnay after moving to Schalke, because he loves her cooking.
*Maarten Stekelenburg is daft from one ear.
*Young Dirk Kuyt once dreamed to step in his fathers footsteps as he wanted to become a fisherman.
*Mesut zil nickname is Nemo (Yeah, the fish).
*Cristiano Ronaldo cost 80 million for Real back in 2009. Madeira Nacional got him much cheaper at age of 9 by giving 20 footballs and some other stuff to Andorinha as a "transfer fee".
*Alessandro Diamanti had to shave his head when he played for West Ham, after teammates making fun of him for being the only player who used hairdryer.
*16 year old Eduardo da Silva moved to Croatia. Zagreb didnt even look apartment for him as they placed him to room under the stadium wich was unheated.
*Vjateslav evtuk is afraid of elevators.
*Arjom Milevski use to represent Belarussian U-16, and is declared as Ukraine football "bad boy" after stating he bought himself driving licens.
*Patrice Evra started his career as striker and just before turning 20, Nice manager tried him out as left back.
*Andreas Isaksson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic were born at same date, with few km distance from each other.
*In 2008 when Olof Mellberg left Villa, he bought 3200 shirts for the fans were it was written "Mellberg thanks for your support".
*James Milner has never tried alcohol in his entire life.
*Robbie Keane and Christian Wilhelmsson are the only players who play outside of europe.
*Youngest player Jetro Willems (30.03.1994) and oldes Kostas Chalkias (30.05.1974).

Aula
07-06-12, 07:09 PM
"Funny" facts:

*There are more players playing in Euros from Leicester City (2), than Inter (1).
*Ireland has lost only one away game during 5 years (Against Brazil in London)
*Ireland is also the only team where there are no players coming from home league.
*Only three nations being coached by forigner manager (Ireland, Greece and Portugal)
*Five years ago Lewandowski showed no hope as he played couple of matches for Legia reserv and was released afterwards.
*Franczszisek Smuda managed Lech Poznan when he was called to watch 20 year old Lewandowski. After 15 minutes he was disappointed and said to man who reccomended him: "You own me gas money. If I wanted to watch trees, I would have gone to forest instead"
*Wojciech Szczesny has broken both of his arms once while lifting weights.
*Wojciech Szczesny father has also played under current Poland manager and he often calls Szczesny by the name of his father.
*There are couple of french playing for Poland. Obraniak was recently applaused has he managed to say out few polish words.
*Michal Kadlec is son of former Czech captain Miroslav Kadlec, both are known as good penalty takers.
*Kyriakos Papadopoulos brought his mother with him to Germnay after moving to Schalke, because he loves her cooking.
*Maarten Stekelenburg is daft from one ear.
*Young Dirk Kuyt once dreamed to step in his fathers footsteps as he wanted to become a fisherman.
*Mesut zil nickname is Nemo (Yeah, the fish).
*Cristiano Ronaldo cost 80 million for Real back in 2009. Madeira Nacional got him much cheaper at age of 9 by giving 20 footballs and some other stuff to Andorinha as a "transfer fee".
*Alessandro Diamanti had to shave his head when he played for West Ham, after teammates making fun of him for being the only player who used hairdryer.
*16 year old Eduardo da Silva moved to Croatia. Zagreb didnt even look apartment for him as they placed him to room under the stadium wich was unheated.
*Vjatšeslav Ševtšuk is afraid of elevators.
*Arjom Milevski use to represent Belarussian U-16, and is declared as Ukraine football "bad boy" after stating he bought himself driving licens.
*Patrice Evra started his career as striker and just before turning 20, Nice manager tried him out as left back.
*Andreas Isaksson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic were born at same date, with few km distance from each other.
*In 2008 when Olof Mellberg left Villa, he bought 3200 shirts for the fans were it was written "Mellberg thanks for your support".
*James Milner has never tried alcohol in his entire life.
*Robbie Keane and Christian Wilhelmsson are the only players who play outside of europe.
*Youngest player Jetro Willems (30.03.1994) and oldes Kostas Chalkias (30.05.1974).

Also top of my head: Young Ribery was kicked out of football academy for bad grades and played amateur football several years.

Dermotron
07-06-12, 07:10 PM
Daft in one ear must be very annoying :lol:

ClayDatsusara
08-06-12, 12:57 AM
"Funny" facts:

this is rubbish research, Portugal's manager is clearly portuguese: Paulo Bento

(Greece's manager is also portuguese btw, Fernando Santos :D )

Coys
08-06-12, 11:57 AM
Looks very likely Germany are going to play Lars Bender at right back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18364997

Patinoz
08-06-12, 12:19 PM
yeah. thats what he said yesterday at the pc.

doubt it though. lw would be stupid if he actually lets bender play against cr7.

nirvana
08-06-12, 12:46 PM
Bender marking a bender.

It might just work.

m0ri
08-06-12, 02:46 PM
Comparing us to Netherlands. I'll try not to be bias.

Hart v Stekelenburg - For me Hart is the winner here, but only because he plays in a better league and for a better club and has proven himself there. Both outstanding keepers though.

I think England's entire back 4 is better, perhaps with the exception of Jones for VDW at rightback if any of them even play there. Despite this Holland are always a tough side to break down due to their defensive midfield players and playing well as a defensive unit. England should be able to do the same.

DeJong + Van Bommel v Parker and Gerrard - Pretty similar in this area. We should be more of a threat going forward though as Gerrard will be our box to box. I actually think we edge this one.

Robben, Affelay and Sneijder v Walcott, Ox and Young. No Contest here really. Although one day i think OX will become as good as Robben, Young is probably on par with Affelay at the moment (if not better due to playing for his club) and Walcott is just walcott. Without Rooney in the team there is no comparison to Sneijder.

Van Persie wins by himself since no Rooney.

Overall i don't think we are as far behind Holland as we think. Their front 4 is better on paper but i'd say that is just about it. And to think this is without us having Wilshere, Cahill, Ferdinand, Rooney etc. I see no reason why we shouldn't be competing with them at all?

Joint Team.

Hart

VDW Lescott Terry Cole

Parker Gerrard

Robben Sneijder Young

Van Persie

7-4 England :D

Am i deluded? let's wait and see
I'd pretty much agree with you, and I'm Dutch...

Our defence is terrible, but on the other hand, we have Bundesliga topscorer and VDV on the bench as well.. I'd put them both in our side, but who am I eh.

Bert van Marwijk is a bit stubborn in trying the same players and methods. I understand why he does so, but RVP didn't exactly perform in the WC 2 years ago, yet we play the exact formation with RVP in SC position.. I'd rather see it like this;

Stekelenburg
Van der Wiel - Heitinga - Vlaar (over Mathijsen anyday) - Willems

De Jong - Van der Vaart

Afellay - van Persie - Robben

Huntelaar

We'll have way more depth this way. Huntelaar needs crosses, Afellay and Robben are both players who can beat their man about 4 or 5 times a match on a good day. Get a cross in, Huntelaar scores. I think the English probably remember this, when Smalling headbutted both Huntelaar and himself out of the match.
As for Sneijder, not in good form, slow, not a great attitude, so not a fan. Apparently Sneijder only played 1 single pass to van Persie in the last WC, and they both played all matches if I recall correctly. With wingers cutting inside (and Robben more likely to shoot than pass to RVP) RVP isn't going to get a lot of great balls. There's a reason Sneijder was our topscorer last WC...

Coys
08-06-12, 02:51 PM
Glad to see somebody agrees with what i thought was an honest assessment on both teams.

I think playing VdV deeper could work against the lesser teams as you will be better with the ball and he can spray it around quite nicely. Not quite sure about his defensive work rate and stamina / fitness levels though. Don't think he'd last the full 90 playing in that position.

As for Sneijder, i haven't watched him much recently but i agree that it is difficult to drop Huntelaar when he has been prolific in germany and has a great record for the national team. I think your manager will play one or the other though and i can't see RVP being benched.

Also, doesn't that strootman lad have potential? not worth a go in the starting 11?

Blue Demon
08-06-12, 02:52 PM
this is rubbish research, Portugal's manager is clearly portuguese: Paulo Bento

(Greece's manager is also portuguese btw, Fernando Santos :D )

Also, Russia is managed by Dick Advocaat.

djole2mcloud
08-06-12, 04:46 PM
http://m.ruvr.ru/data/2011/02/04/1260097821/3RIA-474326-Preview.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E6eEMC9ynYA/TxzqZKpz07I/AAAAAAAAFEs/pKclYiN9s30/s1600/8557.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01794/russian-fan_1794052b.jpg

come on...

m0ri
08-06-12, 04:57 PM
Hmm he probably won't be able to play 90 minutes then, no..

Sneijder has been off form or injured the entire season, but somehow he's a certain starter. I agree RvP should play, but not like this, he'll get stick for underperforming when we get knocked out after 3 matches, and it probably won't be his fault.

Strootman is an idiot btw. To me he looks plain stupid. Van Persies retarded younger brother. I dont know about his potential, he's made a few big steps within a year, time will tell if he can be of worth to our national side. He was in the first eleven for a while when van Marwijk didn't want to play de Jong. When de Jong returned, Strootmans was out of the first 11.

Patinoz
08-06-12, 05:50 PM
ridiculous refeering already. ref is helping the poles whereever he can. awful.

churky
08-06-12, 05:54 PM
ridiculous refeering already. ref is helping the poles whereever he can. awful.

The second yellow was ok, the first one was harsh, though. It should've been a penalty for Greece, so I agree there as well. However, Poland have played really well in the first half. They deserve to be one goal up.

info0
08-06-12, 05:55 PM
What penalty? There was NO HANDBALL from EVERY god damn camera angle. Replays please ;). I want FIFA line cameras now :P. About cards I agree tho ;).