PDA

View Full Version : Cricket

Pages : [1] 2 3

316'sRegen
18-01-12, 12:50 PM
The thread for all things cricket.

Full Toss? Inside Spin? LBW?
Most of it is a foriegn language to me but this game has a big following, and England have recently became quite good at it after a barren spell :)

I do watch the T20 and Pro40 versions of the game, quicker pace and interesting final overs when the scores are close!

ebfatz
02-03-12, 11:56 PM
I love cricket myself!
Play a bit as well.
I'm a mean cover fielder! Or at point. Places where you get a bit of action and sometimes get the spectacular catch.
Usually bat around 6 or lower. I have no orthodox technique but decent hand/eye co-ordination and can hit it hard. The typical pinch hitter type

gtfcfan
04-03-12, 11:54 AM
I like cricket, but personally T20 is a pile of rubbish. A big slogfest. Generally just play with friends, bowl any which way and seem to have a Jonathan Trott style batting. Which is basicly defending or leaving it.

Baz
04-03-12, 12:49 PM
I love cricket myself!
Play a bit as well.
I'm a mean cover fielder! Or at point. Places where you get a bit of action and sometimes get the spectacular catch.
Usually bat around 6 or lower. I have no orthodox technique but decent hand/eye co-ordination and can hit it hard. The typical pinch hitter type

Hello Paul Collingwood :lol:

Massive cricket fan me, avid Glamorgan and England fan, however I hate the fact so many non English men play the game. I enjoy all forms of the game as they each offer something different, bring on the new season!

ebfatz
16-03-12, 05:11 PM
Modelled myself on Jonty Rhodes growing up.

Today's news.

Tendulkar - Little Master is a massive understatement.
100 100's!
Class!

gtfcfan
16-03-12, 05:33 PM
Hope he retires now.

ebfatz
16-03-12, 05:40 PM
....and they lost!
Bangladesh chased down a big total to take the gloss off it for him!

Baz
07-04-12, 03:26 PM
England win, and Glamorgan still suck with the bat, so new season, same issues! Roll on when North and Hogan get into the team!

Jesus
07-04-12, 03:49 PM
Lancashire doing well against Cambridge University. Not exactly a challenge for them like, but it's good to see them putting on some good partnerships. Procter is looking good so far, 3 wickets, and 83 in the first innings.

Redknapp69
07-04-12, 04:33 PM
I might be going to Windies v Oztest match in next couple of days :)

Baz
07-04-12, 04:42 PM
I might be going to Windies v Oztest match in next couple of days :)

Happy days, you best hope it lasts into day 3/4 with Australia bowling first :lol:

ebfatz
07-04-12, 06:04 PM
IPL ftw at the moment. When it's not raining that is!

Baz
07-04-12, 06:18 PM
IPL ftw at the moment. When it's not raining that is!

When :lol: I like the set up of the IPL (Where they need to play so many youngsters) it'll set India in good stead for the future.

Redknapp69
07-04-12, 06:43 PM
Happy days, you best hope it lasts into day 3/4 with Australia bowling first :lol:

Plan to go on Tuesday if it lasts that long as might be too busy over weekend and Monday as bank holiday here
Windies 60-1 at lunch so not a bad start
Glammy are my team but TBH I don't follow cricket that much these days

Baz
07-04-12, 06:50 PM
Plan to go on Tuesday if it lasts that long as might be too busy over weekend and Monday as bank holiday here
Windies 60-1 at lunch so not a bad start
Glammy are my team but TBH I don't follow cricket that much these days

We currently are sucking with the bat, and the momentum we gained with Maynard in charge and Dalrymple as captain was all lost after Maynard, Darlrymple and Maynard Jnr left. Mott is slowly improving us, and with Marcus North due in soon our batting should start picking up. Mark Wallace is now our captain, and we have re-signed Simon Jones, but not sure how many games he'll end up playing. Also Crofty is still going :lol:

Redknapp69
07-04-12, 07:52 PM
Fucking Hell! Crofty must be 45 by now?!
Next uou'll be telling me Barwick, Watkin, Metson and Morris are back with a cameo appearance from Viv Richards! :)

Redknapp69
07-04-12, 07:55 PM
Windies 158-2 at Tea. I may be lucky and see some Cricket on Tuesday!

Redknapp69
11-04-12, 01:58 AM
Went to the game for a few hours today (just over 6 a ticket!) and was a tiny crowd
Plenty of Aussies there giving it some and looks like Windies have bottled it!

ozRooster
11-04-12, 05:39 AM
Good work Redknapp, wish I was there sinking a few Red Stripes with you.

Our tail got us out of trouble again, bloody top order letting us down again.

Could still go either way, or it could be a nail biting draw.

Love a good Test Match, stick your IPL up your arse ;).

gtfcfan
13-04-12, 08:40 PM
Love a good Test Match, stick your IPL up your arse ;).

Couldn't agree more.

gtfcfan
13-04-12, 08:44 PM
cricsim.com

Jesus
19-04-12, 12:43 PM
So Lancashire got absolutely stuffed in their opening County game against Sussex. Lancs ended up losing by ten wickets. Not a good omen considering we are the defending champions.

Yardy hit a tonne for Sussex and Magoffin managed to nab SEVEN wickets in the second innings. Ridiculous. Prince and Procter did show some promise in the second innings though.

IPL is getting good at the moment! Pune played Bangalore on Tuesday and it is one of the best IPL game I've watched. Pune set a target of 182. Chris Gayle hit a mammoth 81 off 48 balls which included FIVE 6s in one over, one of them went 106m and broke a childs nose in the process. The match went all the way to the wire, last ball and AB de Villiers and Tiwary at the crease needing 3 runs to secure a win.. And Tiwary smashed a six to end the game and give Bangalore the win.

Jesus
19-04-12, 01:07 PM
Right then, no idea where to put this, so sorry if it isn't in the right place.

There is a new forum/game that has just been created based around cricket simulation. I'm not going to explain it, here's what the boss says.

http://thegameofcricket.phpimprove.com/index.php

I've signed up to it, and it seems rather promising.

The actual forum is now here: http://w11.zetaboards.com/thegameofcricket/forum/3270990/

ebfatz
19-04-12, 01:09 PM
Chris Gayle is just simply immense in IPL. His bat must weigh a ton!
Watching now on ITV4. It's an all dayer today.
Started at 11am. Delhi (including Pietersen) are playing Dekken Chargers, Chennai play Pune later.

Baz
19-04-12, 01:10 PM
Glamorgan or still royally sucking this season, it's going to be a very, very, very long season ahead :(

klosec12
19-04-12, 01:43 PM
The actual forum is now here: http://w11.zetaboards.com/thegameofcricket/forum/3270990/

Signed up as well. Seems like a good idea. What teams are you guys in? I have joined The Bears as an off Spinner who bats at No.7:D

gtfcfan
19-04-12, 01:56 PM
I own the Bears. :)

klosec12
19-04-12, 01:58 PM
So, A Shaner or A Rhino?

ebfatz
19-04-12, 02:11 PM
took me a while to work out the gtfc/mightymariner link!

klosec12
19-04-12, 02:14 PM
oh... Doh!!
I thought you were going to own them :rofl:
Good to see gtfc owns the team:D

ebfatz
19-04-12, 02:36 PM
Pietersen kicking ass in IPL currently.
85 off 56 balls!

ebfatz
19-04-12, 02:53 PM
Hits the winning runs
103 not out off 64 balls!

Jesus
20-04-12, 12:32 PM
Chris Gayle is just simply immense in IPL. His bat must weigh a ton!

Chris Gayle is my favourite batsman of all time. Simply sensational to watch when he gets it right.

Glamorgan or still royally sucking this season, it's going to be a very, very, very long season ahead :(

103 for 9 inside 43 overs is shocking. Very long season indeed. They've responded well though by taking 4 wickets.

I own the Bears. :)

Get me signed on your team then! I've signed up as Gayle.

Signed up as well. Seems like a good idea. What teams are you guys in? I have joined The Bears as an off Spinner who bats at No.7:D

I like the concept too so signed up as Gayle. Going to try and replicate my hero on that forum :D

Hits the winning runs
103 not out off 64 balls!

Amazing innings although he did get lucky on more than two occassions. Still, 103 runs is a top knock!

Lancashire resume play today and are currently 162-6.

Jesus
20-04-12, 01:02 PM
Lancashire go in to lunch 172 for 7. Two wickets lost in the session and only 50-odd runs made. Very slow.

Baz
20-04-12, 01:53 PM
I get the feeling we'll be having another game that finishes inside 3 days, Hants are 5 down with a 5 run lead :lol: We well and truely suck! Roll on when North and Hogan get here!

gtfcfan
21-04-12, 11:10 AM
Get me signed on your team then! I've signed up as Gayle.
Sent you a Pm on the site

Baz
21-04-12, 06:46 PM
6 wickets or 128 runs against Hampshire, see what happens first, but at least this game lasted into day 4!

Jesus
21-04-12, 08:57 PM
Jesus christ it gets worse and worse for Lancashire. We battle to a respectable 250 and get them to 81-7.

Then out of nowhere Maddy and Clarke put on 224 for the eighth wicket which included 112 for Maddy and 140 for Clarke to leave them with a 79 run lead heading in to the second innings.

Seems the big stack of runs played havoc with the mentality of Lancashire because we lost FOUR wickets after 21 overs and close of play. Looks like we might be losing another one here..

On a brighter note my team Royal Challengers Bangalore managed another win against Kings XI in the IPL. The win saw an impressive 131 run partnership between Gayle and AB de Villiers who scored 87 and 52 respectively.

Watching Gayle really is amazing, I fucking love the guy.

Baz
21-04-12, 09:04 PM
Gayle is so hit and miss though, he'll either get you 50 quickly or he'll be out for like 10 in 3 balls :lol: AB on the other hand is a pure class act, he's just one of those guys that can do it all, I love watching him construct a ODI innings.

Jesus
21-04-12, 09:06 PM
Hmm, I've watched him throughout this whole IPL campaign and he really has adapted his game massively. I agree that his reputation has been hit and miss but he's so different this season.

His first 10 balls are just to get his eye in, he doesn't take any risks, and if it's there he hits it. I've seen him use the forward defensive so much recently.

gtfcfan
21-04-12, 09:10 PM
Do quite like the whole RCB team.

Jesus
21-04-12, 09:15 PM
We have an amazing amount of depth and talent with Kholi, Gayle, Tiwary, AB and Vettori. Vettori is also one of my favourite players of all time too :)

Baz
21-04-12, 09:19 PM
Hmm, I've watched him throughout this whole IPL campaign and he really has adapted his game massively. I agree that his reputation has been hit and miss but he's so different this season.

His first 10 balls are just to get his eye in, he doesn't take any risks, and if it's there he hits it. I've seen him use the forward defensive so much recently.

Gayle defensive? What's the world coming too? Is Sehwag going to be next?

As for Vettori, he's a very underrated player, he's been the stand out man for New Zealand for so many years, he'd be much more valued if he was an Aussie/English/Protea.

Jesus
21-04-12, 09:25 PM
Gayle defensive? What's the world coming too? Is Sehwag going to be next?

As for Vettori, he's a very underrated player, he's been the stand out man for New Zealand for so many years, he'd be much more valued if he was an Aussie/English/Protea.

I was amazed and impressed at the same time. He's been really sensible which his innings this year and sometimes RCB do rely on him a bit too much to drag them through the mud.

Sehwag was impressive today, managed 50-odd but his team lost. At one point it looked like Pietersen and Sehwag were going to ruin Pune Warriors but Ganguly pulled out a vital dismissal of KP.

Vettori is unbelievably good at what he does, one of those lower order batsmen that can put on a half century with ease. I'd love to see him in County cricket.

Baz
21-04-12, 10:23 PM
Not caught much of the IPL this year, hows Steven Smith being doing? I rate him quite highly, he reminds me so much of Shane Warne.

Jesus
23-04-12, 12:32 PM
I haven't watched much of Steven Smith but from what I have seen he's been a great addition to the field. But I haven't seen him bowl and there aren't any proper stats on the IPL website to give you an indication of how he's done this time round. I know what you mean by reminding you of Shane Warne, got the perfect spin bowler action and at 22 he's a bright prospect for Australia's future.

In other news, Lancashire suffer their second defeat to Warwickshire by five wickets. Warwickshire were only chasing 71 after their well fought first innings and got it with ease. Musn't have been an easy wicket to bat on as Lancashire did manage to take five wickets but Warwickshire had more than enough talent and time to win the game. Such a bad start for Lancashire and I can't see it improving any time soon. The only positive from the match was that Prince managed a fifty in the second innings.

Jesus
26-04-12, 12:37 PM
So Lancashire take on a tough challenge today by facing Somerset at Taunton. Thankfully for Lancs, Trescothick is out with an ankle injury which make the job a bit easier for the bowlers. Lancashire won the toss and elected to bat. Horton and Moore opened the batting but Horton was soon given out LBW for just two runs. It hasn't managed to affect the number three (Brown) who has made a nice partnership with Moore to push the score up to 90. Brown is only four runs short of his fifty.

EDIT: Brown reaches his fifty and then gets given out LBW. Lancashire 105 for 2 with Moore and Prince at the crease.

Jesus
26-04-12, 07:55 PM
What a start for Lancashire finishing on 363 for 4 at the close of play, day one. Following Brown's wicket, Lancashire looked ready to dig in but Moore came unstuck 21 runs later to leave us 118-3. However, with Prince and Croft at the crease, Lancs managed to finally dig in and the Prince-Croft partnership reached a massive 208 runs before the unfortunate fall of Prince. Prince had battled to 96 before being given his marching order, an agonising 4 runs short of his century! Still Croft remains unbeaten on 120 so it's onwards and upwards tomorrow (hopefully).​

Jesus
27-04-12, 12:40 PM
Day two of the county match between Lancashire and Somerset resumes and the commanding lead of 363 seems to have gone to the player's heads because they are currently 395 for 9. That means that we've only put on 32 runs for five wickets which is absolutely shocking. I admit we are in a strong and commanding position with the first innings but there is no excuse for letting it slip like this. It's situations like this that lose matches, we could have put on a performance and reach the 450 mark before lunch and had a bowl at them but instead we've let ourselves collapse and it wouldn't surprise me if it came round to bite us in the arse.

gtfcfan
29-04-12, 10:15 AM
Onto the last day, and Hampshire are still in their first innings :lol: Draw written all over it if it isn't raining.

A football sim is coming very soon on the site, tennis sim has just started.

Jesus
29-04-12, 07:21 PM
So day three saw only 40 or so overs bowled and day four was a complete wash out for the Somerset-Lancashire game. Honestly feel it's a real shame that England can't have some bloody good weather for a change as it could have been a cracking result for Lancashire. We started off strongly in the first innings, reaching 400 to get the maximum batting points before taking three wickets with the ball. Fingers crossed that the weathers picks up soon and we can capitalise on a solid first innings performance.

Jesus
02-05-12, 09:45 PM
What a start against Nottinghamshire for Lancashire today! Not only did we get Jimmy Anderson back (a big bonus it seems) but we also put in a massive performance to bowl them out for 169 before the day was out, Patel being the only pick of the batsmen who got 69. Anderson did go off midway through the game however with a suspected fractured thumb, thankfully everything was okay and it was just severe bruising (he even returned to bowl a few more overs). Chapple and Kerrigan both put in a superb bowling performance taking four wickets a piece whilst Procter got the other two. In reply, we finished the day on 48 runs with the loss of Horton on the last ball of the innings.

In the IPL my man Chris Gayle hit a spectacular 71 today but it wasn't enough to beat Kings XI unfortunately. Gayle maintains his good run of form though, which is a positive for RCB but they've lost two on the bounce now. The next two games are key if they want to keep in with a chance of making the playoffs. Gayle also hit a massive 111 meter six!

BeezerCeltic1967
02-05-12, 09:54 PM
Cricket :facepalm:

Jesus
08-05-12, 12:56 PM
Disaster for Lancashire in their match against Nottinghamshire. Although we had a cracking start to the first innings (bowling them out for 169), we were shortly bowled out for just 146 runs, giving them a 23 run lead going in to the second innings. Nottinghamshire made sure we paid the price for not capitilizing by amassing 304 runs with 50s from Lumb and Read. The batsmen all around them scored well and only four batsman didn't manage to make it to double figures. At the end of the second innings, Lancashire needed 327 runs to win; a big ask from such a fragile batting line up. The cracks began to show early when Horton lasted two balls before being dislodged and the wickets began to tumble - Lancashire were all out for 142 meaning we had lost by an astonishing 185 runs. Very, very poor from Lancashire, we have three defeats and a draw to our name this year, which really isn't the form to be shown from defending champions.

ebfatz
08-05-12, 01:57 PM
Not caught much of the IPL this year, hows Steven Smith being doing? I rate him quite highly, he reminds me so much of Shane Warne.

He's not even bowled this year I don't think but that hasn't stopped him making a name for himself. How good is this?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-xBIfbXew

ebfatz
09-05-12, 03:40 PM
He was at it again yesterday.
Not the best quality vid but I can't find a better one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncOgC0KH-8

Personally, part of me wants it to be a catch for the speed of thought and agility that he shows but it was given as a 6!

Jesus
10-05-12, 12:19 PM
Steven Smith is BRILLIANT in the field, that last catch sould of been given for me just because of it's ingenuity and the fact he never touched the floor whilst the ball was in the air.

Jesus
18-05-12, 12:30 PM
Another woeful defeat for Lancashire looms, they're currently 125 for 7 chasing a mammoth 557 again Warwickshire. Lancashire have been nothing short of miserable this season, their failure to invest in new players to add some depth to the batting has really ruined them and their bowling falls to pieces without Anderson. On the positive side of thing, England are currently 53-1 after bowling West Indies out for 243. I can see a good win for England here, who need to win the series to keep world number one spot.

One last thing to note was Bangalore's performance last night against Dehli Daredevils. They amassed a huge 215 runs for the loss of just one wicket (Dilshan). Chris Gayle hit 126 not out and Kholi finished on 70-odd not out to cap off a superb batting performance. It means Chris Gayle is leading with the orange cap with 705 runs, and has scored the most runs in an IPL season ever. What a legend. Bangalore did come close to undoing all their hard work however but DD fell short by about 20 runs.

AMC
18-05-12, 12:33 PM
Not into the cricket like I was say 10 years ago but I still watch the test matches and keep an eye out for the Lancashire score. As said after winning the division last year it's been a terrible start from Lancashire unfortuantely, when I started taking an interest again last year I couldn't believe Glen Chappel was still going strong, but he's still performing well from what I can gather.

A bit of a shame Gayle isn't part of the West Indies lineup, I'm guessing it's a falling out between him and the West Indian board?

Baz
18-06-12, 12:14 PM
RIP Tom Maynard who died aged 23 after being hit by a train. I hope this was an accident and not suicide :(

ebfatz
18-06-12, 12:18 PM
Wow!
He only played yesterday didn't he.
I was going to go but couldn't make it!

Baz
18-06-12, 12:21 PM
Think he did, and they are treating it as non-suspicious, doesn't look good for my non suicide hope. Sad thing is he was so talented, he was brilliant for us before we did the dirty on his old man, and he was excelling at Surrey too :(

BeezerCeltic1967
21-07-12, 02:57 PM
Right,

Somebody make me like cricket :ok:

what are the rules etc of this game, sell it to me :ok:

never could get into it but i wanna try and understand it :ok:

Patinoz
21-07-12, 03:27 PM
lol, I remember coming to australia and hating cricket and thought what a pointless sport. then i was at home for a month and the ashes were on and i thought i might as well watch and really got into it.

there are several formats: test cricket matches are the longest. one game can last up to 4 or 5 days. then you got one day international where each team got 50 overs and the shortest form is T20 (twenty20) where each side only got 20 overs.

lets say you watch twenty20 cricket. One team starts bowling and the other one batting. one over is a set of 6 balls. so in total they are 120 balls per team to bowl and 120 balls per team to bat.

the defending team got basically 2 tasks: a.) defend their wicket (the 3 sticks behind the guy who is batting) and score as many points as possible. you always got 2 batsmen on the pitch at any given time who are standing opposite each other.
you score by getting so-called runs. meaning the guy from the other team bowls (meaning he throws the balls at you) and the batsman tries to hit it somewhere. the moment he hits the ball both batsmen start running towards each other and have to touch the ground behind a certain line to get 1 run (1 point). depending on how far away the guy has hit it and how slow the outfield players are, they can run twice (once there, once back), three times etc.
if the batsman manages to hit the ball outside the playing field and it never touches the ground his team get 6 points. if the balles touches the ground before going out of bounds i.e. it rolls out of bounds, his team get 4 points. so yes, the batsmen have to try and score as much as possible for their team in those 20 overs.

the bowlers objective is to "bowl out" the batsmen. this can happen in several ways.
the 3 most important are:

a.) the bowler throws the ball, the batsman misses it and the ball hits the wicket behind him.
b.) the bowler throws the ball, the batsman hits it but it goes high up in the air and the bowlers teammates who are split up all over the ground catch it straight from the air.
c.) the bowler throws the ball, the batsmen go for runs, the opposing team picks up the ball from the ground and throw it back at the wicket and hit it. if the batsmen arent in their "safe zone" (touching ground behind the crease, that line i was talking about earlier) back in time and get caught in the middle of their run, one of them is out.

there are several other ways (like lbw) to get a batsman dismissed but its enough if you know those 3 at first.

in the case of T20, the game can end in 2 ways:
a.) 20 overs have been played
b.) 10 of the 11 batsmen have been bowled out

once the first 20 overs are done, the teams swap and now the guy who just bowled will bat and vice versa. whoever has got more runs (points) after the second 20 overs wins.

all in all, you have to watch it to understand it. I had nobody to explain anything and quite frankly, even i somebody had done that, i doubt i would have been any more interested. just watch a few games and see if you get into it. you'll pick up most of the rules on the way.

ozRooster
21-07-12, 03:55 PM
Here's a nice picture of the Sydney Cricket Ground, that should help you like it better beez...

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1536/larabingleandcricket1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/larabingleandcricket1.jpg/)

BeezerCeltic1967
21-07-12, 04:26 PM
Here's a nice picture of the Sydney Cricket Ground, that should help you like it better beez...

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1536/larabingleandcricket1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/larabingleandcricket1.jpg/)

She could play with my stump anytime she wanted :ok:

ozRooster
26-11-12, 11:01 PM
Fantastic drawn test match between Australia and South Africa over the last 5 days, had bloody everything.

Faf De Plessis, Jacques Kallis (South Africans have the best names :ok:) and Peter Siddle, take a bow, those 3 fuckers gave everything :ok:.

And I absolutely hate Michael Clarke, but credit where credit is due, the little fucker can bat.

Goofy
27-11-12, 09:52 PM
Fantastic drawn test match between Australia and South Africa over the last 5 days, had bloody everything.

Faf De Plessis, Jacques Kallis (South Africans have the best names :ok:) and Peter Siddle, take a bow, those 3 fuckers gave everything :ok:.

And I absolutely hate Michael Clarke, but credit where credit is due, the little fucker can bat.

I love Siddle, always has that snarl when he bowls :lol: Only caught a bit of the game......... Ponting turning his arm over? :shocked: Talk about trying to buy a wicket :lol: Oh, and Warner looks like he's someone else with an extra R added to his surname when he bowls! First time i've seen him bowl, his action is right out of the Shane Warne textbook!

ozRooster
27-11-12, 10:26 PM
He's a dead ringer for Warney, except that he throws pies instead of unplayable leg breaks :).

The next test in Perth should be a cracker :ok:.

AMC
29-11-12, 07:23 PM
Awesome win for England, KP and Monty were class!

Shame to see Ricky Ponting retire as well after the final test against SA, up there with Tendulkar and Lara as the best batsmen I've seen.

Jesus
29-11-12, 11:02 PM
Yeah England's bounce-back win was unreal. Goes to show how much we miss a backup spinner to Swann when you have Monty ripping the Indian top order to pieces. FYI, I don't rate Monty at all.

Also a shame that Ponting is hanging up his boots, but it's been a long time coming. Absolutely brilliant batsman.

Goofy
29-11-12, 11:38 PM
Yeah England's bounce-back win was unreal. Goes to show how much we miss a backup spinner to Swann when you have Monty ripping the Indian top order to pieces. FYI, I don't rate Monty at all.

I don't think Monty's that bad, at least he always bowls an attacking line unlike "The King of Spain" :D

Clarke seems to be taking Ponting's retirement hard, was nearly in tears at the press conference! Would love to see him finish off with a ton, usually a good track at the WACA :ok:

ozRooster
18-03-13, 11:13 PM
No, I am not here to talk about the current state of Australian cricket (which is fucked btw).

http://i.imgur.com/QeSHgtA.png

These 2 certainly went on after this :ok:.

gtfcfan
22-03-13, 11:15 PM
Well that's surprising.

AMC
23-03-13, 03:08 PM
Apparently Phil was even better, there was an interview in last month's 442 magazine and he had to choose between cricket and footy.

ebfatz
23-03-13, 04:27 PM
Apparently Phil was even better, there was an interview in last month's 442 magazine and he had to choose between cricket and footy.

They must be recycling articles! Ive read that Phil was the better cricketer but I havent read 442 since my subscription expired and that was years ago!

AMC
23-03-13, 04:42 PM
:lol:

Fods
25-04-13, 03:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vWavW9biNZ4

bhnow
01-05-13, 12:58 PM
Gayle is unstoppable when he gets going... Why couldn't he do that for Sydney thunder, instead of just bankrupting the team. They were downright shithouse this bbl.

bhnow
03-05-13, 10:17 AM
Too early to start Ashes discussion? 10 weeks to go.
I'm predicting Australia 3-2, in a tight series. Mind you, Aus batting better improve a tad

ozRooster
03-05-13, 10:24 AM
I love you bh, but Jeez mate, we'll be flat out winning 1....

bhnow
03-05-13, 10:30 PM
IF Phillip Hughes gets away early in the series, IF Warner has a strong showing, IF Cowan can hang around, then Maybe, just maybe we're in with a shot.
Our bowling is as potent as England's - that shouldn't be a problem.
Our spearhead won't be mercurial Mitch Johnson anyway - can only do better than 2009

Goofy
03-05-13, 11:28 PM
IF Phillip Hughes gets away early in the series, IF Warner has a strong showing, IF Cowan can hang around, then Maybe, just maybe we're in with a shot.
Our bowling is as potent as England's - that shouldn't be a problem.
Our spearhead won't be mercurial Mitch Johnson anyway - can only do better than 2009

Phil Hughes has been around for years now and done hee-haw - Warner can scelp it all over the place but no-one will convince me he's a Test match bat........... Cowan........... i do like those straws, keep clutching them, you never know :ok:

England aint that great........... but theyll still pump you :wave:

Too good a team, never replaced.

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Gilly
Warne
McGrath
Lee

Far too many epic players to replace all at once - that was a 'glory' period for Aus cricket

ozRooster
05-05-13, 05:48 AM
I like our bowling attack too, but we are nowhere near England. I love Siddle, but I see him offering the least bowling wise and would go with (if all fit) Pattinson, Starc, Harris, and Lyon with fagboy Watson as backup. In reality though, Siddle will be in front of Harris.

And as a bonus, they can all bat. And we'll need them to get runs because our top and middle order is a rabble.

bhnow
06-05-13, 02:25 AM
Assuming everyone has done their homework assignments, I 100% agree with that lineup Oz...

I think Harris is better than Siddle but they won't leave him out... And Watson is an idiot but he *might* perform

bhnow
06-05-13, 02:28 AM
I think Bird is good too. England conditions should suit him well, if he gets on

bhnow
28-05-13, 04:00 PM
During the week, I saw that Kevin O'Brien from Ireland smashed Pakistan all over the park in a tied result. I hope he and Ireland continue to flourish - who can forget his awesome 100 against England in the World Cup in 2011. That was such an amazing innings, I got the DVD of the game.

And... 6 weeks til Ashes begins!
Alas NZ fell a bit short of being competitive, but at least showed Aus will have a chance with the ball.
:amen:

Redknapp69
28-05-13, 05:22 PM
My mate is married to O'Briens sister

NZ got pulverised in these test matches. England go into Ashes in good firm but they may need to re-jig batting order

ebfatz
28-05-13, 06:45 PM
Root and Bairstow both proved themselves.

Is there space in the side for KP?

Goofy
28-05-13, 07:21 PM
Is there space in the side for KP?

Of course - you don't leave out one of the worlds best players when he's fit ;) I think they'll probably drop Bairstow tbh......... although Compton might be under a bit of pressure! Always thought Trott was a natural opener anyway so wouldnt surprise me if they went down that route.......

bhnow
13-06-13, 01:16 AM
Bad boy Warner was in the news again, this time for trying to punch Joe Root in a pub. Again he's admitted being in the wrong.
It's a shame that our top team is represented by a lot of dipshits - Clarke, Watson and Warner are the supposedly top 3 men in the country for captaincy, yet all 3 lack real character.
The only sport i can think of with similar issues for Aus is our male tennis stars since Pat Rafter - Phillipoussis, Hewitt and Tomic.

And... Less than 4 weeks til Ashes begins

ozRooster
13-06-13, 01:35 AM
Funniest quote, "Warner gets off to a good start on tour, gets a root early" :pound:

Baz
14-06-13, 07:50 PM
Essex all out for 20 against Lancashire :lol:

AMC
14-06-13, 07:52 PM
Glen Chapple still going strong, 5-9!

Goofy
19-06-13, 12:36 PM
South Africa getting pumped!

Redknapp69
19-06-13, 04:58 PM
Yep - brilliant stuff. Never met so many arrogant people from a nation like the Saffa's

Great last wicket stand by SA tho

Fods
19-06-13, 10:50 PM
Yep - brilliant stuff. Never met so many arrogant people from a nation like the Saffa's

Great last wicket stand by SA tho

Germany?

ebfatz
20-06-13, 04:14 PM
Ricky Ponting to retire from all forms of cricket in October.

End of a legend!
Was a true winner. Absolutely hated losing!
But what a run scorer.

Redknapp69
23-06-13, 08:35 PM
England thre it away

Cook looked awful opening

Bopear and Morgan with decent partnership

Made some terrible decisions under pressure though to give away wickets

Bell "out" decision from 3rd umpire was a joke

Suppose they did well to get to final though - India always favourites

ozRooster
24-06-13, 04:29 AM
Mickey Arthur sacked as head coach of the Aussie cricket team 2 weeks out from The Ashes kicking off.

We are a joke from the top down, absolutely embarrassing.

He should have never been picked as our coach, fucking obvious as fuck to me, hes fucking sth african!!!!! But once you stupidly pick him, you have to stick with him Cricket Australia, fuck me. Or fuck him off immediately after the homework debacle, not hang onto him and dump him 2 weeks before the biggest trophy in world cricket.

Australian cricket at its lowest ebb in my lifetime, and as I've said before, we still haven't hit bottom yet......

bhnow
24-06-13, 05:43 AM
It is baffling!?!?! What the hell are they thinking, and why now of all times????

Terrible Indian tour, mediocre Champions trophy for Aus, but surely you'd stick with him until Ashes are done...

I wonder if something untoward has been going on, and CA has just found out?? Anyway that's pure speculation on my part, it just makes no sense otherwise.

bhnow
03-07-13, 09:30 AM
Only 1 week to go... :bounce:

Since his appointment, Aus coach Lehmann seems to have done good things. The players have responded well, especially the batsmen who have found form in the lead-up matches.

Aus will open first test with Watson and Rogers, not sure about the rest of the line-up.

Baz
03-07-13, 10:07 AM
Cowan is set to be at 3, unless he goes with the explosive Warner. Clarke will slot in at 4/5 that's for sure, and the bowlers will probably pick themselves. On the England front, I hope they give Compton the chance at 6 instead of Bairstow.

ozRooster
03-07-13, 01:10 PM
Lehmann, great appointment.

And he has immediately addressed our biggest (playing) problem, the top order.

As much as I hate Watson as a person, he has generally opened the batting well for us. Really not sure about Rogers atm, 34, has got plenty of Shield and County runs, big step up here though.

bhnow
04-07-13, 02:25 AM
Yeah I'm not sure about Watson opening tbh - I think he could be better utilised down the order.
But he did a good job there before, usually got to 50 then out LBW.
It may not be the popular thing but I like Hughes opening. He can get away and take the initiative away from any bowling.

I would pick Rogers ahead of Cowan for first 2 tests, see how he goes.

ozRooster
04-07-13, 04:35 AM
Hughes will get torn a new arsehole if he opens.

He was hidden/not picked for the SA series because he has a glaring weakness against good short-pitched bowling. England will exploit that with the new ball if he opens.

bhnow
05-07-13, 02:40 PM
I remember Steve Waugh used to be considered soft and vulnerable to the short ball. Then he went on a tour to the carribbean, where he was peppered with bouncers by Ambrose, Walsh etc.
Waugh not only survived, but thrived, and no one questioned his ability to handle the short stuff again.

It is an obvious obstacle for Hughes, but if he can find a way I think he can be a prolific scorer at test level.

ozRooster
05-07-13, 02:57 PM
bh bh bh, you were going so well......

I'll let you off once for comparing cricketing GOD and all round Aussie legend Steve Waugh to mincey/pretty sure he's a homo/not that theres anything wrong with that Phil Hughes!!!!!!!!!!

ONCE : D!!!!!!!

Please don't do it again or I won't be as composed :).

Yours sincerely, oz.

Baz
05-07-13, 04:10 PM
You ready for the fun and games then Oz? I find it interesting to read Pattinson was approached to play for England :lol:

Coys
05-07-13, 04:10 PM
5-0 i reckon :dance: :rockon:

bhnow
11-07-13, 02:01 AM
Well well well...
Aus bowlers did a good job on day 1, and have room for improvement. And once again, our batting is letting us down. 4/ 75 can lead to a first innings lead but I wouldn't think too much, not with Anderson & co bowling well.
Anderson bowling Clarke was an impeccable ball.

A few surprise selections from Aus - Agar, and Steven Smith.
I don't mind them trying Agar, but I'm not sure it's going to work too well.
And as for Smith - I may have to eat my words when he top scores - I cannot understand why he is on the tour, let alone in the starting eleven. Are they expecting a lot of rain so we'll have to go for quick runs or something? His batting technique is crap and won't hold up for long against any bowling.
Is Smith really one of the top 3 middle order players in Australia? I would rather them try an Alex Doolan, or Khawaja or even put Fisticuffs Warner down the order.

Jesus
11-07-13, 12:24 PM
And I thought our collapse was bad.. Australia's has been awful! Beautiful bowling from England though!

Coys
11-07-13, 01:59 PM
Way to go Jesus!

Since that post OZ have hammered us!

They lead now... who would have thought it. They have a wonderkid at 19 years!

Patinoz
11-07-13, 02:57 PM
feeeeeeeeck. what a shame agar just fell short

bhnow
11-07-13, 02:58 PM
:flypig:

ebfatz
11-07-13, 03:08 PM
Despite him being Australian, even I'm a little gutted for Ashton Agar.

Patinoz
12-07-13, 12:00 PM
Finally broke up the Cook/Pietersen partnership

Coys
12-07-13, 10:25 PM
Can't believe how quiet this thread is. No Cricket fans out there?

England take control, looking like they might get a 300+ lead which will be really difficult for OZ to come back from.

3 decisions so far in this test have been a complete joke. The Dismissal of Trott where even with a review they couldn't get the decision right. Agar was stumped, foot was clearly not over the line and was still in mid air yet again even with technology they got it wrong. The last one was possible the worst of them all with a clear edge wasn't spotted by the umpire. I'm pretty sure the whole world knew that was out. Fair play to Broad for staying put i say :ok:

Redknapp69
12-07-13, 10:50 PM
Broad is a tough one for him. Gentlemans game and he should walk but now it seems a win at all cost game hence him sticking his ground. England now got as stable back but great last couple of days in the offing!

ebfatz
12-07-13, 11:28 PM
Boycott was being a dick on the Channel 5 highlights basically saying that he shouldn't have walked because no Australian ever has ever walked.
I beg to differ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVI8sOtdNk

Broad should have walked. No doubt about that. Thickest edge I've ever seen not given out.

Anyway back to the game. England in control. The pitch is horrible. The ball slows so much after pitching. That'll help Anderson's swing coz hey won't be able to pick the pace. And it'll definately turn for Swann.

I think England have enough to win it already but they'll add a few more tomorrow and then go out to skittle them.

Coys
12-07-13, 11:47 PM
No offence but i think the Ashes is a different ballgame altogether. Both teams will do anything to win. If you ask me, if it was the other way around the OZ's wouldn't have walked either.

You may say it is un-sportsman like, but at the end of the day it's the Umpire's fault. Complete howler.

ebfatz
13-07-13, 12:33 AM
Oh yeah. It's down to the umpire. Not sure how he missed it. There was a noise, it changed direction, couldn't have been clearer.

Semi Final of the World Cup is pretty big. No Ashes granted but still big.

Jez
13-07-13, 01:55 AM
Relieved to find some fellow cricket enthusiasts here! And people think the technology debate in football is big...

bhnow
13-07-13, 02:15 AM
I thought Agar's was probably out and should have been given.
I didn't think Trott edged his, it just looks that way from the way the ball crumples the pad. But that might be slightly we-need-trott-cheaply thinking affecting my view.
Broad's was a shocker. Wonder if all the media whinging got to Dar, and pressured him into giving any doubt England's way?

Aus will have to bat supremely well to come close to the target, and we still have 4 wickets to take.
Swann is going to be a menace.

Goofy
13-07-13, 07:35 AM
Boycott was being a dick on the Channel 5 highlights basically saying that he shouldn't have walked because no Australian ever has ever walked.
I beg to differ.

Gilly's a gent though :ok: Clarke's done it himself in an Ashes test ;)

All wrong though, meant to be "The gentlemans game" and all these cheating bastards are making a mockery of it! Umpiring decisions have been fucking awful though, how the fuck Trott was given out when the ball clearly took the bat edge before pad i'll never know :lol: Shame Agar never got his Ton, what a performance by a #11 on debut though! I think if England can add another 60/70 runs today they've got it in the bag, the Aussie batting line-up looks weak :)

Goofy
13-07-13, 07:36 AM
I didn't think Trott edged his, it just looks that way from the way the ball crumples the pad. But that might be slightly we-need-trott-cheaply thinking affecting my view.

Watch it again mate, the ball goes one way then the other - had to be an edge before the pad!

Patinoz
13-07-13, 08:32 AM
That pissed me right off yesterday. Impossible to miss. That cunt Dar got most of the difficult ones right, the Trott ball he initially gave not out, all the lbw's that just go past the wicket he got right and then misses that edge. Fuck off. You could see real time that Broad hit it, how that evades Dar is beyond me.

England is gonna win this unless the Aussies get 2 quick wickets and send Bell home.

Redknapp69
13-07-13, 09:19 AM
I still think umpires have a tough job. Ball going at 90mph. Not easy to see if its lbw or definitely hit bat
Although Broads was rather obvious!

ebfatz
13-07-13, 09:28 AM
I hate umpiring when I play at weekends.

First checking whether it's a no ball, then seeing if it pitches in line, then if it's going to go on and hit the stumps, in the case of lbw.

It's a tough job but that is actually his job, he's a pro and he's been doing it for years. Should never miss that.

Patinoz
13-07-13, 11:09 AM
Not a good start for the Aussies. Needed that wicket but Clarke and Watson snoozed

Patinoz
13-07-13, 12:22 PM
England all out at 375

AUS need 311 to win.

Goofy
13-07-13, 01:19 PM
I hate umpiring when I play at weekends.

First checking whether it's a no ball, then seeing if it pitches in line, then if it's going to go on and hit the stumps, in the case of lbw.

It's a tough job but that is actually his job, he's a pro and he's been doing it for years. Should never miss that.

Ditto! Played from the age of 7/8 until my mid twenties (the club folded - quite enjoyed having weekends to myself so never joined another team) and in our league the batting team also had to umpire......... i'm honest to say i made the odd fuck-up but generally did ok. Umpires have the toughest job in cricket though, they have to concentrate for every second of the match! Fuck being a test match umpire :lol:

ebfatz
13-07-13, 01:31 PM
Boycott on TMS this morning. Must have been reading this thread as he has slightly changed his stance.

"There is no debate, it's quite simple. The Australians I have played with and have watched, with the exception of Adam Gilchrist, believe in standing and it's up to the umpire to give you out - there shouldn't be a moral argument. They should be upset, disappointed and angered by the umpires. If they keep making poor decisions, it's up to the ICC to do something about it."

bhnow
13-07-13, 02:29 PM
Must have been reading this thread :lol:

Shane Warne has been laying into Dar on Twitter, saying he's always been shite.
Dar has generally been good I thought, but is probably feeling the heat from that Broad decision.

Good start from the Aussies, 0/69 chasing 311.

bhnow
13-07-13, 02:54 PM
Typical Watson...
Out LBW, proven irrefutably by technology, yet he thinks he was robbed.
Wasted a review too, the dick

Coys
13-07-13, 03:44 PM
It was pretty close tho.

ebfatz
13-07-13, 04:12 PM
Another typical Watson innings indeed. Hardly ever goes on to make a big score. Gets himself in and then invariably falls lbw.

Out of twenty something times he's reached 50, he has only gone on to make 2 hundreds.

BeezerCeltic1967
13-07-13, 04:13 PM
Broad is a cheating cunt.

Just not cricket.

Redknapp69
14-07-13, 02:24 PM
1-0 :)

Sounded like Haddin nicked it!

Baz
14-07-13, 02:25 PM
Hotspot showed naff all, that shouldn't have been given out, but a 1-0 lead it is.

Coys
14-07-13, 02:27 PM
Audio :ok:

Redknapp69
14-07-13, 02:28 PM
Why is snicko not used in reviews?

Patinoz
14-07-13, 02:31 PM
Audio :ok:

never ever conclusive. no hotspot but we give him out anyway :lol:

funny how there was all this 5-0 talk and england needs the umpire help to win. way to go.

Coys
14-07-13, 02:35 PM
Not bitter then Pat :lol:

It was clearly out mate :ok:

Just because cookie and co know how to use their reviews and Clarke doesn't :ok:

Coys
14-07-13, 02:38 PM
Also don't start with all this umpire bollocks. Agar should have been out in ur first innings for a shit score. If that was the case you wouldn't have got anywhere near winning this test match. Not to mention the dismissal of Trott.

Coys
14-07-13, 02:45 PM
Clarke very gracious in defeat. Admitted he used the review system poorly throughout the test and was proud of how his team played

What a guy :ok:

Goofy
14-07-13, 02:48 PM
umpire bollocks

Aleem Dar's new nickname?

Patinoz
14-07-13, 02:54 PM
Also don't start with all this umpire bollocks. Agar should have been out in ur first innings for a shit score. If that was the case you wouldn't have got anywhere near winning this test match. Not to mention the dismissal of Trott.

There were bad calls both ways but none decided the game the way that last one did. Who would want such a match to end in such doubtful fashion? Only the ones who were shitting their pants.

Funny how you mention the Aussie doubtful calls in your post but leave out the most blatant bad decision there was with Broad not being called out...

Umpiring was shocking all the way through on both sides.

Coys
14-07-13, 02:58 PM
Like i said Pat, if Agar was given out in the first innings Australia were finished. You would have been all out for around 110 and there wouldn't have even been a day 5.

And this wasn't a bad call. He was out :ok:

You think just because it was doubtful they should play on just to make the match a bit more exciting?

Patinoz
14-07-13, 03:03 PM
You think just because it was doubtful they should play on just to make the match a bit more exciting?

If a decision is doubtful, the ruling on the field stands. It's the same with doubtful lbw calls that may or may not have clipped the wicket, coys. Umpire's call.

It's ridiculous deciding against the umpire on the field in 50-50 situations such as this and the Trott dismissal.

They let the umpires make a major howler with Broad and nothing gets corrected but overturn the doubtful 50-50 situation. Useless. The system should work exactly the other way. Correct the umpire when he makes a howler and leave the 50-50 stuff.

Coys
14-07-13, 03:08 PM
Well quite clearly this wasn't a 50-50 then was it. If they didn't have enough evidence it would have been Umpire's call.

There was a small white mark on hotspot and you can quite clearly hear a sound as the ball hits the bat. Did you have the sound on Pat? :lol: what else could that noise have been?

None of the OZ players are even complaining. It was a good review and the right decision was made. It's a shame it had to end that way but it did.

Patinoz
14-07-13, 03:15 PM
Well quite clearly this wasn't a 50-50 then was it. If they didn't have enough evidence it would have been Umpire's call.

There was a small white mark on hotspot and you can quite clearly hear a sound as the ball hits the bat. Did you have the sound on Pat? :lol: what else could that noise have been?

None of the OZ players are even complaining. It was a good review and the right decision was made. It's a shame it had to end that way but it did.

Well, the Trott incident has clearly shown otherwise.

Only watched via stream as nobody knows what cricket is here yet alone broadcast it :lol:

Hussein, Botham?? and the other BBC commentators certainly didn't see a conclusive hotspot either right after Cook went for the review and neither did I. Turned off afterwards though.

The point stands though, the review system is a joke and not used perfectly. Umpire can make as big a howler as he wants but if the team has no challenges left, tough titties. Hardly in the interest of the game, is it?

Coys
14-07-13, 03:52 PM
It's not a joke at all, at least Cricket uses the technology available to them. Would be worse without it for sure.

Fods
14-07-13, 11:59 PM
never ever conclusive. no hotspot but we give him out anyway :lol:

funny how there was all this 5-0 talk and england needs the umpire help to win. way to go.

Sometimes I see what you do around this forum and think "way to go, what a guy" other times, I just think. U really are a cunt

Coys, He is German, not Australian.

Coys
15-07-13, 12:12 AM
He said he was supporting Australia cus he lived there so whatever

Fods
15-07-13, 12:21 AM
You sound just like a 12 year old girl with that statement :ok:

BeezerCeltic1967
15-07-13, 12:25 AM

Coys
15-07-13, 12:42 AM
Sometimes I see what you do around this forum and think "way to go, what a guy" other times, I just think. U really are a cunt

Coys, He is German, not Australian.

You know what Fods, this applies to you aswell mate :ok:

Fods
15-07-13, 12:51 AM
Whatever

Fods
15-07-13, 10:52 AM
England make no changes to their 13-man squad for the second Ashes Test against Australia

Finn would of gone for me

AMC
15-07-13, 11:56 AM
Is it squad or team though that's unchanged? Bresnan may still come in for Finn but it is Finn's home ground which may work in his favour.

Jesus
15-07-13, 12:25 PM
Personaly I think Broad was right in staying where he was, at the time England needed him and Bell to make a partnership and at the end of the day it's up to the umpire to give him out. Can't see the Aussies walking off in the same situation. Also it's swings and roundabouts really, it's been mentioned already but both the Agar and Trott decisions were both counter weights to Broad's decision. That's the way it goes in test cricket though. In addition, I have a lot of respect for Michael Clarke who's been very gracious in defeat and hasn't come out with excuses or accusations.

The last wicket was a bit of a 50-50 but there was clearly a noise and the bat was miles away from his pads so the small mark on the hotspot was never really in doubt. Again I reckon that was out.

Squad is unchanged and I can see Bresnan in for Finn after Finn's poor bowling display in the second innings. Bresnan also offers a lot more with the bat. Can't wait for the second test, that first one was a belter.

Redknapp69
15-07-13, 03:30 PM
Personaly I think Broad was right in staying where he was, at the time England needed him and Bell to make a partnership and at the end of the day it's up to the umpire to give him out. Can't see the Aussies walking off in the same situation. Also it's swings and roundabouts really, it's been mentioned already but both the Agar and Trott decisions were both counter weights to Broad's decision. That's the way it goes in test cricket though. In addition, I have a lot of respect for Michael Clarke who's been very gracious in defeat and hasn't come out with excuses or accusations.

The last wicket was a bit of a 50-50 but there was clearly a noise and the bat was miles away from his pads so the small mark on the hotspot was never really in doubt. Again I reckon that was out.

Squad is unchanged and I can see Bresnan in for Finn after Finn's poor bowling display in the second innings. Bresnan also offers a lot more with the bat. Can't wait for the second test, that first one was a belter.

+1 to all of this

Coys
15-07-13, 04:31 PM

I swear Jesus has just put everybodys comments so far into 1 post here :lol:

Coys
15-07-13, 04:34 PM
I do agree with what you posted though. Bresnan does offer a lot more with the bat and prior / broad aren't too bad with it either.

I think Finn will stay in though, simply because it's his home ground. Probably knows how the wicket will shape up.

Jesus
15-07-13, 04:43 PM
I swear Jesus has just put everybodys comments so far into 1 post here :lol:

Well I hadn't posted since the Australian first innings so I was giving my opinion on the matter. I havent been online for a few days so I'm catching up and adding my two cents. This is a forum after all, that's kind of the point isn't it?

I don't think Finn should be included in the XI even if it is his home ground, he had the chance to prove he has what it takes when it's required and he failed to do that. Haddin made mince meat out of his poor attempt to add pressure.

bhnow
16-07-13, 08:28 AM
Fantastic finish to a fantastic test :ok:
Shame about the end result, as an Aussie fan, but have to appreciate the contest.

Finn did bowl some ordinary spells at Trentbridge and will be lucky to edge out Bresnan for Lords. Brennan's batting would be an advantage given the closeness between the 2 teams.

On the Aussie front, I don't think they'll dump Cowan yet, but he'll want to make some runs this test.
If they dump Cowan and bring in Khawaja, and he doesn't perform, it'll be a shaky spot for the rest of the series. Better to give Cowan a bit more support, and hope he performs.
I don't think Khawaja has proved himself mentally at the top of the order against world class attacks anyway.
There's also talk that Starc will be dropped, and either Harris or Lyon brought in, depending on the wicket.
Again I don't think dropping him is the right move, give him another go and see what happens.

Coys
16-07-13, 09:51 AM
Do you have time to keep faith though? if you go 2-0 down it's basically over

ozRooster
16-07-13, 02:12 PM
Cowan is gone, Usman Khawaja will come in, 100%.

Cowan is a dogged opener, bloke who takes the shine off the ball, nothing more. He can't make the side as an opener, he can't hold his spot at #3.

Starc Starc Starc. Very much like Johnson, without the fuckwit attitude. 1 ball misses the pitch, next ball is an unplayable inswinging yorker that sends middle peg cartwheeling. Personally, I like him and would keep him, can see Harris coming in though, who I also like.

Harris is very similar to Bresnan. Solidly built yet injury prone, dangerous outswinger, decent bat.

Me, I'd go for Harris, but think Starc will get the nod due to being a lefty.

Doesn't really matter. I predict you'll flog us at Lords, weather permitting. Our batting is still a rabble. Watson and Rogers are ordinary at best. New #3, who knows??? Clarke will get a century. Hughes and Smith, can't believe they are playing test cricket at 5 and 6, fucking blows me away these are the best 2 bats we can pick. Haddin could get 2 centuries or 2 pairs. Tail will wag.......

Fods
16-07-13, 02:14 PM
I love you man

ozRooster
16-07-13, 02:15 PM
:grouphug:

bhnow
16-07-13, 02:54 PM
I like Harris as a bowler but I can't see him in the same side as Siddle. They bowl too similar, perform the same role.
I'd be tempted to try Bird at Lords, given his accuracy and the Lords slope.

News in today on Mickey Arthur's lawsuit against CA - he wants $4 million or his job back.
His court documents reveal how Michael Clarke considers Shane Watson cancerous to the team and how Arthur was the meat in the sandwich.

I, like many, think Watson is a tool.
But I'm also certain Clarke is an ambitious snake, who can't see beyond his own self-image.
He saw to the end of Andrew Symonds, Simon Katich, Ponting's captaincy (tho he was never a good leader) and had some sort of spat with Michael Hussey - who seems like a pretty accommodating, friendly chap and wouldn't have a problem with anyone. Hussey promptly retired from international cricket.

bhnow
16-07-13, 04:45 PM
Do you have time to keep faith though? if you go 2-0 down it's basically over

You're right, in that if it goes 2-0 it will probably be too big a hill to climb... but too many changes will cause a lack of confidence. And we (Australia) need as much confidence as possible.
If CM has taught me anything, it's that morale and confidence goes a long way to winning the next match...

Coys
16-07-13, 04:49 PM
Plenty of twists to go yet. I think OZ will win at least one test. Would love it if we went for a 5-0 though but don't see it happening.

Redknapp69
17-07-13, 11:15 PM
Not sure whether to watch golf or cricket this weekend!

Coys
17-07-13, 11:19 PM
Please tell me you aren't serious Red :(

CRICKET CRICKET CRICKET!!!

Redknapp69
17-07-13, 11:24 PM
Will prob be more cricket Thur and Fri but sat and sun will be golf as I play a lot of golf. Hopefully the cricket will be over by Saturday anyway :)

Coys
17-07-13, 11:31 PM
Watching golf or playing it? I can understand playing it but watching it no way!!!

Redknapp69
17-07-13, 11:34 PM
I only watch big events like majors or Ryder cup

Redknapp69
17-07-13, 11:35 PM
Back to cricket - do they only announce teams in the morning of the test?

Coys
17-07-13, 11:37 PM
Not sure mate but i did hear England will announce it Tomorrow Morning. Has probably been decided for a while though and they are just keeping the aussies guessing.

You reckon it's Finn, Bresnan or Onions?

Redknapp69
17-07-13, 11:44 PM
Bresnan but didn't Onions bowl well recently? As someone said maybe they will give Finn a 2nd chance on home ground. I'll plump for Bresnan tho. Can also bat a bit

bhnow
18-07-13, 02:30 AM
Back to cricket - do they only announce teams in the morning of the test?

Usually the final team is only announced at the toss - like Aus did putting Agar in.
Rarely, when a team is playing well, team management might alert media outlets days in advance that the side will be unchanged.

Lords brings up unexpected incidents on the first morning.
In 2005, Glenn McGrath trod on a ball in the warm-up before the match. He missed the game, cost Aus big.
In 2009 Brad Haddin broke a finger in warm-up and was replaced by Graham Manou. This happened actually after the teams were announced, and Aus had to ask permission from Eng to do the swap.

Weather forecast is good... Round 2 here we come :)

bhnow
18-07-13, 02:36 AM
Lords brings up unexpected incidents on the first morning.
In 2005, Glenn McGrath trod on a ball in the warm-up before the match. He missed the game, cost Aus big.
In 2009 Brad Haddin broke a finger in warm-up and was replaced by Graham Manou. This happened actually after the teams were announced, and Aus had to ask permission from Eng to do the swap.

Oops, it was actually Edgbaston those 2 things happened

ozRooster
18-07-13, 05:18 AM
If we lose the toss and the weather comditions are favourable, put EVERYTHING you've got on England winning.

I don't care if Queen Liz is opening the batting for England, we are hopeless and have about a 1% chance of victory.

Clarke will score a century though. Our 1% chance is if he scores a BIG one, 250 or so. If that happens, we are a chance. Hahhaa, in saying that, if he does score 250, he'll miss the next 2 tests with a bad back and lose the series anyway, fucking chalk boned cocksmokers he is.....

Patinoz
18-07-13, 06:46 AM
When does it start?

bhnow
18-07-13, 07:07 AM
A bit under 4 hours from now

Jesus
18-07-13, 10:37 AM
If we lose the toss and the weather comditions are favourable, put EVERYTHING you've got on England winning.

I don't care if Queen Liz is opening the batting for England, we are hopeless and have about a 1% chance of victory.

Clarke will score a century though. Our 1% chance is if he scores a BIG one, 250 or so. If that happens, we are a chance. Hahhaa, in saying that, if he does score 250, he'll miss the next 2 tests with a bad back and lose the series anyway, fucking chalk boned cocksmokers he is.....

Cant believe how far cricket has changed; ten years ago you would never hear the Aussies being so negative and bitter. I think Australia proved they still have some fight in them and I can see this being another tight game if England bat first and lose early wickets. I really hope they drop Finn in favour of Bresnan though, apparently Finn has been struggling with the wickets at Lords this year so give someone else a chuck.

Jesus
18-07-13, 10:57 AM
Think both selectors must have been reading this thread as Finn is replaced by Bresnan and Cowan and Starc make way for Kahwaja and Harris. England to bat first.

Jesus
18-07-13, 11:46 AM
Terrible start for England, two down within six overs.

EDIT: make that three..

Redknapp69
18-07-13, 12:32 PM
Can hopefully see Bell and Trott steadying the ship with a lengthy partnership

Coys
18-07-13, 01:33 PM
Cant believe how far cricket has changed; ten years ago you would never hear the Aussies being so negative and bitter. I think Australia proved they still have some fight in them and I can see this being another tight game if England bat first and lose early wickets. I really hope they drop Finn in favour of Bresnan though, apparently Finn has been struggling with the wickets at Lords this year so give someone else a chuck.

Fuck you and your accurate prediction!

Jesus
18-07-13, 04:14 PM
:lol: Did I jinx it? I just know that Australia aren't going to roll over and take defeat. Very much proven in the two sessions so far.

Bairstow is very lucky to still be out there and his technical weakness of playing across the line has been exposed and highlighted yet again.

Thank god the break for tea has come when it has because I think this will give Bairstow a chance to reflect and get his head together.

ozRooster
19-07-13, 02:20 PM
SHANE WATSON, SELFISH CUNT, JUST COST US THE ASHES...

Redknapp69
19-07-13, 05:50 PM
Yeah - the other 10 are playing out of their skin

Goofy
19-07-13, 05:58 PM
SHANE WATSON, SELFISH CUNT, JUST COST US THE ASHES...

Hahahahahaha, looks to me like he top scored for your useless batting line-up :lol: Swann taking 5 wickets on the 2nd day of a Lords test....... god you Aussies are shite :D

Redknapp69
19-07-13, 07:35 PM
Cook and Pieterson form both poor - decent comeback tonight by Aussies

ebfatz
19-07-13, 07:59 PM
Who would have thought that Tim Bresnan would have faced the first ball of the day and still be batting as the final ball of the day was bowled! :lol:

As I said in the shoutbox earlier, I would have enforced the follow on. The Aussies were all over the place.
The England scorecard at stumps proves my point I think.

England chose to bat again to post a big total and then bank on the dry pitch spinning to win the game.
They might not get that big total.

Redknapp69
19-07-13, 08:19 PM
I sort of agree eb but pretty warm out there and even if they get a shit score should be enough unless Aussie batsmen pick finger out of their ass

bhnow
20-07-13, 12:42 AM
Woeful batting by Aus, woeful.
Unbelievable selfish stupidity by Watson. Rogers should have reviewed his decision but didn't because Watson had already squandered 1 decision.

Probably our best chance now is to take Swann out when he's batting. Couple of nasty blows on the hand, put him outta action.
Seriously tho, Aus needs to dismiss Eng for less than our score, then bat with indomitable spirit and run down the total.

Coys
20-07-13, 12:51 AM
Somebody needs to tell KP he's playing in an ashes test match and not a T20.

bhnow
20-07-13, 01:07 AM
We also need to stop fitting 20/20 players into our test side. Our Australia A side features Moises Henriques and Glenn Maxwell who could be picked to come over. Neither will help our cause.

Khawaja is not a 20/20 player, but hasn't ever played comfortably at test level. He looks tentative and expecting to fail.
What we need is a swag of players who score thousands in the domestic 4 day comp but other than Chris Rogers and Ricky Ponting I don't think anyone else came close last season.
In the 90's we always had guys like Damien Martyn (before he became a test reg), Matt Elliott, and Darren Lehmann who didn't feature much in the test side but were always in form should the opportunity arise.

Or maybe it's just not our time to be on top. That aus team in the 90's and 00's were class, but to be so dominant like that is a rare thing. Can't expect to win everything... but a bit more of a determined fight would be good.

Goofy
20-07-13, 02:55 PM
Or maybe it's just not our time to be on top. That aus team in the 90's and 00's were class, but to be so dominant like that is a rare thing. Can't expect to win everything... but a bit more of a determined fight would be good.

:ok:

Impossible to replace practically an entire team of legendary players pretty much all at once! Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath all retired within a couple of years of each other........ throw in Brett Lee and that's you lost the top 3 in your batting order, two opening quickies and the best spinner of all time!

ozRooster
21-07-13, 01:04 AM
What a rabble.

10-0 is looking very do-able for the stinking Poms....

Coys
21-07-13, 01:09 AM
Australia allowed their successful team to all grow old together. Worked well in the short term, but it's hurting now.

England are doing the right thing sticking with Root. I was very critical of how he has batted but he has so much potential to become a great cricketer. Only 22 years of age. We could have went with 30 year old Compton but let Root make his mistakes early in his career and learn from them i say :ok:

bhnow
21-07-13, 07:11 AM
Paolo the Psychic Octopus predicts England may win this current match

Goofy
21-07-13, 11:55 AM
Only 583 required :ok:

Goofy
21-07-13, 11:57 AM
No review from Watson? :eek: He mustve seen your posts Oz :D

ozRooster
21-07-13, 05:53 PM
3am and I'm sitting here watching these wankers.....

AMC
21-07-13, 05:55 PM

Redknapp69
21-07-13, 06:42 PM
Go to sleep now Oz :)

Series not far from over

ozRooster
21-07-13, 07:42 PM
Series is over. I'd immediately drop Rogers, Haddin and Hughes, pick 3 youngsters. The 3 I mentioned are either to old or hopeless, or in Rogers case, both.

Nic Maddinson, young but quality, should be picked to open.

Anyone but Hughes, might as well be me batting for Australia.

WK, no idea....

I like Pattinson but Id drop him as well, only to give Bird or Faulkner a go.

And another 1. I'd get Lyon in for Agar. Lyon is a much better spinner and that's the job they are competing for, not who can score more runs, that's the shithouse batsmans job (or its supposed to be).

And my biggest bugbear, I'd get that weak captain of ours up to 3 straight away. Far and away the best bat in the team, bat in the spot where the best bat is supposed to be.

The shithead is coming in at 3-fuck all every time, might as well come in at 1-fuck all....

Redknapp69
21-07-13, 08:30 PM
Warney was saying to keep Agar as next ground should spin a lot and will see if he has got it or needs to go back to County cricket.
Yeah - Clarke should be moved up as well and maybe Haddin

Jesus
21-07-13, 08:46 PM
Interesting story today told be Warne about how he broke both his legs as a kid. Bounced back well didn't he!

Patinoz
21-07-13, 09:16 PM
Why would anyone got Agar out? The series is done anyway, give the kid game time and therefore experience. You will get pumped one way or another, I'd rather get some serious games under his belt than let him watch from the outside.

Agree with you on Clarke Oz. Needs to be starting with a big score.

Fods
21-07-13, 11:52 PM
Why would anyone got Agar out? The series is done anyway, give the kid game time and therefore experience. YOU will get pumped one way or another, I'd rather get some serious games under his belt than let him watch from the outside.

Agree with you on Clarke Oz. Needs to be starting with a big score.

It was WE a few posts ago, now it's YOU? Make your mind up Patz

ozRooster
22-07-13, 12:47 AM
I half agree with keeping Agar, but Lyon is only 26 himself and has done nothing wrong in my opinion.

I'm thinking he was good mates with Hussey. Hussey handed him the "rights" to lead the team victory song in the dressing rooms after a win, a big honour. Hussey had a falling out with knobhead Clarke, Lyon sides with Hussey, sayanora........

Fucking Clarke and his clique fag boys club.......

bhnow
22-07-13, 03:34 PM
That was a real shellacking.
Maybe Pattison should open the batting in the next test, he's played as well as anyone.

bhnow
23-07-13, 01:08 AM
Pattinson has been ruled out of rest of tour with a stress fracture.
Interesting to see who they bring across - Cummins is the choice for me.

ozRooster
23-07-13, 01:35 AM
Cummins looks the part in every way, except he is injury prone and has a lack of overs under his belt at the moment. Either way, he should be sent over immediately.

Bird should be picked for the next test if you ask me.

bhnow
24-07-13, 02:20 AM
The timing of the injury might cut actually be the best thing for Pattinson. His performances so far this tour have been well below his best, and he needs to go back to the drawing board.
At his best he could be a firebrand strike bowler in the mold of Lillee, such is his potential.
I've never seen anyone force Graeme Smith to take a backfoot step like he did last Aussie summer.

He'll bounce back for sure. He has the anger and drive to be the dominant bowler of any attack.

bhnow
29-07-13, 03:49 AM
Who the hell are Ashton Turner and Travis Head???
More "bolters" in contention for selection I guess.
I've played a bit of cricket too, can even hold the bat the right way around, hint hint.

Anyway, here's my Aussie team for next test, assuming Clarke is fit, and Warner doesn't try to punch anyone.

Rogers
Hughes
Clarke
Warner
Watson
Khawaja
Haddin
Siddle
Harris
Lyon
Bird

Hughes has had enough chances, he needs to do what he's good at. His 81* in the first test was controlled and disciplined but we really need him to fire now. He can rack up a big score very quickly, especially from bowlers bowling the "ideal" line, 4th stump.
Clarke, if fit enough, needs to go 3.
Lyon is the best spinner we have and from what I hear Old Trafford will turn a bit. Otherwise I'd be tempted to go with 4 pace bowlers - if our spinner isn't good enough maybe we shouldn't automatically pick a spinner. The West Indies had 4 pace bowlers for like two decades and if there's enough variety in the attack, you can win anywhere.
Bird is a fine line-and-length bowler, even played at the same junior club I did (Wakehurst Redbacks). He should keep pressure on, if the wickets aren't coming.

Redknapp69
29-07-13, 08:10 AM
Think England will rest KP if not fully fit

Panesar may get a start if the pitch is likely to turn like it usually does. He took 3 Aussie wickets in 1st innings this week as well

That Taylor boy done himself no harm scoring 100+ against Aussies this week

No idea why Onions dropped. Even more so by picking Tremlett in squad?!

Can see 2 changes (1 injury forced) at most for England

Lets win the Ashes!

ozRooster
30-07-13, 10:19 AM
Always liked Tremlett, giant big strong fella. Has he not played well recently?????

Anyway, would like to see us win the toss here, 0/2 so far, might give us a chance bowling last with spin.

Can't see us getting close realistically though, doesn't matter who we pick, 3-0.........

ozRooster
01-08-13, 01:31 PM
Thumbs up, we won the toss.

Thumbs down, robbed by the 3rd umpy.

Redknapp69
01-08-13, 11:55 PM
England will need a bloody good 1st innings. They do that and should be a drawn match = Ashes retained

Didn't see any of game but good balls from Aussies finally fronting up

bhnow
02-08-13, 09:22 AM
I only caught the 2nd half of yesterdays play.
The pitch looks slow with tennis-ball bounce, and the English bowlers looked a little flat if anything. Bresnan looked dangerous tho.
Good that the Aussies showed up - highlights of Rogers innings was impressive.
Not sure whether the weather will hold... Big big first innings need, then crash through England's innings hopefully

Coys
02-08-13, 12:58 PM
Clarke is just different class. Head and shoulders above any other batsmen from either team.

ozRooster
03-08-13, 07:03 AM
Agreed Coys, light years between him and the next best.

Unfortunately he is a cockhead though.

Patinoz
03-08-13, 09:05 AM
Quick question as I never properly understood that and didn't watch the end:

Why did Australia declare last night? Was it to avoid England wasting time later going for a draw? Why didn't they bat another while to ensure their chances of a follow-on?

Redknapp69
03-08-13, 10:57 AM
Yep - time I guess

Coys
03-08-13, 01:13 PM
Because they would have only had 3 days to take 20 wickets on a good pitch for batting. Also a lot of rain scheduled. They must have felt confident they had enough runs already and didn't want to waste any more time getting needless runs.

bhnow
04-08-13, 06:43 AM
Quality day of cricket yesterday, what I saw of it anyway.
Pietersen was in magnificent form, as was Bell, and it took a sublime delivery from Harris to break the partnership.
Aus need to take the final 3 wickets cheaply, maybe have a quick dash with the bat (bowlers might need to freshen a bit) then get stuck in with the ball again. And pray for dry weather.

Redknapp69
04-08-13, 09:19 AM
Yeah - was a good day!

Weather could be a factor and Aussies ideally want to get England to follow on but if not they may bat to get a 300 lead and see if they can bowl England out for 300. A win/loss gamble target which would take the draw out of it

ozRooster
04-08-13, 12:53 PM
Was a great ball from Harris, agreed.

Draw from here and England to retain The Ashes :(.

Coys
04-08-13, 01:06 PM
I think we will see a winner. Australia to declare on a risky score and either England reach the total or get bowled out.

bhnow
04-08-13, 04:20 PM
Agreed Coys, light years between him and the next best.

Unfortunately he is a cockhead though.

Probably ran Smith out on purpose...

Hussey might agree :whistle:

Goofy
04-08-13, 05:53 PM
Hey Oz, why is it so many of you guys dislike Clarke?

Redknapp69
05-08-13, 01:04 PM
Pietersen decision went Aussies way - about time they had one and could make the difference

If weather holds up Aussies should bowl England out now - they wont get a better chance

Methinks England hoping for rain!

bhnow
05-08-13, 03:11 PM
Pietersen was furious!! Muttered all kinds of expletives

Getting a bit late for a result now, unless they go on very soon... Pitch is doing plenty, so pressure will be on for Eng if they do get on with any time remaining.
Harris and Siddle have bowled very well. Harris is going for broke... fastest he's bowled all series. Hope he isn't spent or injured for next test on Friday.

Redknapp69
05-08-13, 07:07 PM
Ashes retained - wahahahahaha!

ozRooster
06-08-13, 03:40 AM
Because he's a smug, selfish, little cunt Goofy :ok:.

bhnow
09-08-13, 04:05 AM
Next test starts in a few hours in Durham, should be a seamers wicket I hear.
Australia's best chance lies with 4 quicks I think. Lyon hasn't done much wrong but he won't be as effective as another quick.
England won't change anyone I feel. Onions and Tremlett would bowl well but who would miss out?

Fods
09-08-13, 04:12 AM
Next test starts in a few hours in Durham, should be a seamers wicket I hear.
Australia's best chance lies with 4 quicks I think. Lyon hasn't done much wrong but he won't be as effective as another quick.
England won't change anyone I feel. Onions and Tremlett would bowl well but who would miss out?

Games over mate :D

bhnow
10-08-13, 02:45 AM
There's still much to play for, for Aus anyway.

Lyon 4/42 on first day, good thing I'm not a selector.
Aussie bowlers did really well and kept pressure on all day.

From an outsider perspective, I don't get Bairstow. He doesn't seem to have a good technique or good shot selection.

bhnow
12-08-13, 01:51 PM
Outstanding bowling from Harris...absolute cracker to bowl Root, and brutal deliveries to Trott and Broad.

Another good innings from Ian "Late Cut" Bell, turned the tide England's way.

Test is tightly balanced now, Aus can win but need to bat really well.

Redknapp69
13-08-13, 02:14 AM
Haven't seen the game - was Broad bowling superbly or did the Aussies fuck it up again

Anyway - 3-0! Wahahahahaha

ebfatz
13-08-13, 09:26 AM
Broad bowled like a king! 1st innings was good enough but after tea yesterday the man was on fire.
They said in commentary at 160 that if they could get Clarke and Haddin for the loss of no more than 40 runs it was game on. When they were both gone at 175 or so, the jig was up!

ozRooster
13-08-13, 01:23 PM
We are shit would be the obvious answer from me.

Only saw the highlights of this innings, but have seen enough of our batting over the last few seasons to know that collapses are common now.

Cracking ball to bowl Clarke though, what a beauty. And I loved Harris getting 7, in particular almost knocking Broads head off :ok:.

ebfatz
21-08-13, 09:26 PM
Watson finally manned up.
Or is it coz the pressure is off.

Just 3 hundreds in 84 Test innings
First one in 48 attempts and 3 years.

Such a bad turnaround ratio.

Also, Kerrigan had a fecking mare! I bowl spin better than him.................and I'm a seamer.............who's getting on a bit!