PDA

View Full Version : The Set Pieces: Everton on CM01/02

Kenny Dalglish's Smile
14-07-15, 08:38 AM
There's a fairly new website called The Set Pieces (nothing to do with me) which is running a feature on CM01/02 where they are playing as Everton on 3.9.68.

Might be interesting to old and new: EVERTON WERE SO AWFUL ON 3968 (http://thesetpieces.com/features/cm0102-the-return-august-01/)

Psmith
14-07-15, 10:08 AM
They also ran a review of the data update:

http://thesetpieces.com/reviews/championship-manager-0102-update/

It's a cool site with interesting reads throughout.

Everton were indeed quite shitty in the ODB.

ebfatz
14-07-15, 05:10 PM
I have been retweeting each installment that is posted by them on Twitter.

There are quite a few people revisiting the game recently.

Mark
14-07-15, 05:28 PM
It's a good read.

That review of the game was posted a month or two ago. The chap bought a copy of the game from our account on eBay and wrote about it which was good to see, even if he did say that it wouldn't keep you interested in the long term :P

Redknapp69
14-07-15, 09:29 PM
Probably leading to the odd sale for us on ebay as well I reckon - best part of 10 sales in past couple of days - That set pieces twitttttooooor account has 10k followers so all good publicity for us :ok:

Fods
15-07-15, 03:40 AM
Who's running our Facebook site?

Jesus
15-07-15, 07:00 AM
Who's running our Facebook site?
Ebfatz, Redders and Derm.

Psmith
15-07-15, 10:11 AM
It's a good read.

That review of the game was posted a month or two ago. The chap bought a copy of the game from our account on eBay and wrote about it which was good to see, even if he did say that it wouldn't keep you interested in the long term :P

It was a fair assessment and critique, although it was obviously a matter of opinion, only a long-term review could establish if the game still has long-term appeal or not...

I'll take this opportunity to thank Ebfatz, Redders and Derm for their work on facebook. It's interesting that the threads there have more comments than here in the actual forum... food for thought?

BobMem
15-07-15, 12:55 PM
IMO Facebook is the public side of the website, where we communicate with the masses and encourage more people to (re)discover the game itself.

This website is the community, where people come once they are hooked to continue their love affair and maybe eventually get more involved. Updaters and scouts are ensuring the lifeblood of the site, the data update, continues to be of high quality. The story writers, the bookie, involved groups like CML and the FIFA boys all help build that community and encourage people to hang around.

Mark
23-07-15, 01:02 PM
*BUMP*

There's been two more articles on Iain's Everton adventure :ok:

Mark
19-08-15, 05:42 PM
November issue: http://thesetpieces.com/games/cm0102-the-return-november-01/

December issue: http://thesetpieces.com/features/cm0102-the-return-december-01/

Dermotron
19-08-15, 05:58 PM
Scott Gemmill with an average rating of 5.68, that's DTL standard DC's right there :lol:

Mark
20-08-15, 09:02 AM
:lol: and Alan Stubbs with 3 for pace :lol:

Knew Everton would get part of the stand closed eventually! I'm tempted to have a go at the challenge myself!

Jesus
21-10-15, 09:40 AM
Iain Macintosh has been busy updating this recently with more progress being made. Worth having a read on how his progress is still going. He's in September 2002 now.

http://thesetpieces.com/games/cm0102-the-return-september-02/

Mark
21-10-15, 09:55 AM
That's weird, I couldn't find the latest articles when searching on the site. If you go into reviews, his latest published article seems to be November 01 even though I did post about the December 01 earlier.

Thanks Jesus, I will catch up now :ok:

Mark
21-10-15, 10:40 AM
Up to February 2002...

"Up next are Fulham, matching us stride for stride and exchanging confused looks with us in the top half of the table"

:lol:

Jesus
21-10-15, 10:56 AM
His style of writing is very good isn't it. Very enjoyable read and the right length per update.

Mark
21-10-15, 11:40 AM
Yep, love the comedic element in it as well.

March's article...

"Big Duncan needs to know who’s in charge and I make that abundantly clear in the email I send him from the Goodison Park panic room."

:rofl:

Mark
21-10-15, 11:49 AM
Reading this actually makes me want to have a go at playing as Everton on the ODB myself now :D

I'm up to the end of April and can't believe that Everton are 4th!

Kenny Dalglish's Smile
21-10-15, 12:13 PM
It's even better what happens next :D

Mark
21-10-15, 12:18 PM
Fully caught up now as while I was reading, Iain published an update for October '02: http://thesetpieces.com/games/cm0102-the-return-october-02/

Amazing stuff to make the CL but it's funny how quick you can go from a high to a low!

Can't believe that he's yet to be bought out. 26M in debt must be getting very frustrating indeed, especially after a tough start to the season. At least he's starting to win a few games now!

Kenny Dalglish's Smile
27-10-15, 10:28 AM
Having played Everton a few times I have never gone longer than one season without a buyout, but it is making the story much more interesting!

I've never made CL in the first season either, no buyout must be punishment for over achievement (non-wibwob, obviously it would be possible with a decent tactic)

ebfatz
18-12-15, 04:38 PM
Been a good few updates on this recently

Mark
18-12-15, 05:51 PM
Blimey, I've not caught up for a while. Last update I read was October '02.

Missed LOADS of updates, thanks ebz!

Still a great read with excellent dry humour. Duncan Ferguson hasn't paid his mortgage since November 2001 :lol:

*opens drinks cabinet, climbs in* :rofl:

Must have been gutted when he could have signed Ronaldo!

We cannot get out :lol:

The post it notes :eek: Great stuff!

Great start to season 3 and then it finally happened!!

Jesus
18-12-15, 06:23 PM
I wish he had written it as a story here.

Redknapp69
18-12-15, 09:04 PM
It's having big impact on number of members coming to the site, choosing us on eBay etc due to his links :clap:

Psmith
19-12-15, 01:59 PM
This story might be the best CM story since Brian Phillips' Pro Vercelli epic.

F1Krazy
19-12-15, 04:10 PM
This is still one of my favourite stories. I'm actually so happy that they finally got their debts cleared :D I wonder how long it's gonna take him to win that one elusive trophy...

J.D.
21-12-15, 05:36 PM
I haven't read their whole story, but isn't Everton 3.9.68 is a fairly easy game.

A new board usually take over before the end of the first season and after the third season, you move into the new stadium, by that time you're a Cl contender.

Aston Villa, with no GK, that's a challenge.

Jesus
21-12-15, 05:46 PM
I haven't read their whole story, but isn't Everton 3.9.68 is a fairly easy game.

A new board usually take over before the end of the first season and after the third season, you move into the new stadium, by that time you're a Cl contender.

Aston Villa, with no GK, that's a challenge.
Usually that happens but in his game the new board never came.

AtomicAnt
29-01-16, 06:11 PM
Have you seen the latest update (http://thesetpieces.com/games/7022/)? I'm shocked about the new stadium thing, didn't think this was possible. I

Malovaan
29-01-16, 06:29 PM
Have you seen the latest update (http://thesetpieces.com/games/7022/)? I'm shocked about the new stadium thing, didn't think this was possible. I

I think its just specific to Everton - news at the time the game was made was that they'd be moving to Kings Dock, but it fell through in 2003. Everton have moved there in my current ODB save too, I assume it happens every time. Same way that on the ODB you start off with the Millenium Stadium being used for tournament finals but its programmed into the game that Wembley gets rebuilt so that starts getting used instead.

Kenny Dalglish's Smile
23-04-16, 08:43 PM
shameless bump to remind you all that there is a lot of 01/02 retro play going on these days :)

Ian Mack's Everton game is still going strong...

Jesus
23-04-16, 09:05 PM
shameless bump to remind you all that there is a lot of 01/02 retro play going on these days :)

Ian Mack's Everton game is still going strong...
Ah, so you're Iain MacIntosh? :D

Kenny Dalglish's Smile
23-04-16, 09:56 PM
First post disclaimer still holds true, Jesus :)

Fourfourtwo
24-04-16, 10:26 AM
Yep, this is brilliant stuff. The Duncan Ferguson storyline is hilarious!

Mark
25-04-16, 04:22 PM
I didn't realise it was still going, to be honest! Think I just assumed the interest will peter out once Everton were taken off but glad to see that it hasn't.

Gary Naysmith's performance against Luton :lol:

The return of big Dunc to the bench that means he watched the game from the stands :rofl:

Happy days when the stadium was announced. Let's give Dunc the wrong date for the party :lol:

Only 7 thousand turning up for the Roma friendly though :D

Can't believe he finally got rid of Ferguson!

Some great signings coming in with Samba and Ibrahimovic leading the way. Can't help but think the cash spent on the latter was needed in defence though!

Fully caught up once again. So unlucky not to get a CL place!

jdgmedia
10-07-16, 01:22 PM
I have been following this with interest, particularly enjoyed the Facebook Live of the cup final.

It's always interesting to watch someone else playing CM, just to see what their approach is. Certainly Macintosh analysing of the opponents is far more in depth than anything I've ever done.

ebfatz
10-07-16, 07:54 PM
It's certainly been a hell of a ride since the early days.

Mark
11-07-16, 11:28 AM
Glad you posted in this thread, I always catch up then forget about it for a while. Not read up since April so I had a lot to get through.

What a season, a cup win at last and they did it live too? Brilliant :lol:

Amazing how the deal for Magallanes fell through then he turned out to be one of the best players!

Mark
17-08-16, 01:16 PM
Just caught up on this again. Everton are starting to put a good squad together but they're having a nightmare run at the moment :D Decent players coming in and being homesick as well, couldn't make it up :lol: I honestly thought he was finally going to get sacked!

This is the latest blog: http://thesetpieces.com/gaming/cm0102-return-december-07-pt2/

Mark
09-09-16, 10:53 AM
How has nobody mentioned the FA Cup Final starring a certain assistant manager?

Redknapp69
09-09-16, 09:18 PM
Yeah - it was awesome :lol:

kuy
13-09-16, 12:54 PM
Looking forward to what comes next!

ebfatz
14-09-16, 10:27 AM
How has nobody mentioned the FA Cup Final starring a certain assistant manager?

Forgot to post up here. Was keeping on top of it on Facebook.

Mark
15-09-16, 11:51 AM
He's got a new job:

http://thesetpieces.com/gaming/cm0102-return-augsepoctnov-08/

JonasAjax
15-09-16, 01:03 PM
Have been reading up on this over the past few days, what a brilliant story it is.

Mark
06-10-16, 09:59 AM
Anyone still reading? It's the final episode apparently :(

http://thesetpieces.com/gaming/cm0102-return-final-episode/

Sounds like Iain is moving to FM :( I did post a comment saying not to bother with FM and try his luck at one of the updates next. It feels like betrayal :D

AMC
06-10-16, 10:38 AM
:lol:

I only read the first couple of months when first posted, but will catch up on it as it seems to be getting rave reviews.

F1Krazy
06-10-16, 03:22 PM
It was fantastic, a hell of a ride from start to finish. It's kinda sad to see it go, but it was fun while it lasted. I'm tempted to try one of my own now, perhaps with Coventry.

Mark
06-10-16, 03:26 PM
Aren't Nottm Forest another team badly in debt on the ODB, they'd be a good shout.

ebfatz
07-10-16, 10:10 PM
Did see they were advertising a similar story for when FM17 comes out. Just assumed someone else would do that and Iain would continue with his.

kuy
07-10-16, 11:01 PM
That was just great - I particularly liked the tweets that he got every month. Just wish he had stuck to one formation though! Even though I've not played any of the Football Manager games, I'll look out for his FM17 story

Mark
08-10-16, 01:15 PM
What was the obsession with the trident?! Insanity :lol:

Pabbers
14-12-16, 01:55 PM
There's a fairly new website called The Set Pieces (nothing to do with me) which is running a feature on CM01/02 where they are playing as Everton on 3.9.68.

Might be interesting to old and new: EVERTON WERE SO AWFUL ON 3968 (http://thesetpieces.com/features/cm0102-the-return-august-01/)

Tell you what, as an Evertonian, he summed up our feelings from that time pretty well!!!!

colml
15-12-16, 12:42 PM
He's doing a new one on FM17 at the moment, Iain as Celtic and another guy as Rangers, could be interesting.