PDA

View Full Version : Champ Man horror stories

F1Krazy
06-09-15, 05:59 PM
We've all had them. Those matches where it feels like the game is actively conspiring against you, like it's trying on purpose to screw you over as much as it possibly can. I still remember the time I started a new game as Newcastle with real player names turned off, my squad only had one goalkeeper, and I lost 6-0 on the opening day after said goalkeeper and my star midfielder were both sent off. That save was deleted preeeeetty quickly.

Anyway, what prompted me to finally make this thread was a League Cup second round match in my latest ODB game. It wasn't mine, thankfully - won that 3-2 thanks to a hat-trick in the last 20 minutes. It was Charlton vs. Barnsley, and here's what happened:

Barnsley take the lead after just 2 minutes
Charlton equalize on 17 minutes but Barnsley re-take the lead within the same minute
What's more, Paul Konchesky is injured, and Charlton send on their first substitute
On 23 minutes, they make another substitution for some reason, sending on Jonatan Johansson. Johansson lasts for 60 whole seconds before getting injured and that's all three subs gone
Barnsley score two more goals before half-time to lead 4-1
Guess what else happens just before half-time? Yep - the guy who replaced Johansson is ALSO injured, and Charlton are down to 10 men
Just when they thought things couldn't get any worse, Scott Parker is sent off on 57 minutes and Barnsley convert the resulting penalty
Somehow, the score remains 5-1 at the final whistle.

Ouch. So, if you can bring yourselves to remember them, let's hear your Championship Manager horror stories! What are the worst matches you've ever endured while playing CM01/02, or indeed any of the other games? Or do you remember seeing any AI teams suffering from shocking bad fortune?

JayFlo
07-09-15, 06:50 PM
Normally get caught out once a season by not having a goalie on the bench. Take great pride when an outfielder goes in goal and we still win, but it can go horribly horribly wrong. I'll keep an eye out.

Elgin_McQueen
08-09-15, 10:25 AM
I always have a keeper on the bench, not sure why I don't take the risk sometimes and just ignore him. Having said that, if we're thrashing another team and nobosy is too knackered, sometimes I'll swap my goalie out to give him some experience.

mikecoxon
08-09-15, 11:40 AM
On my current game I spent 17.5m on Christian Chivu at the start of the season (a bit much but I needed a D LC and had buckets to spend).

A day after signing him he tears his groin muscle in training so, ever the conscientious manager, I spoke to the physio. Low and behold it's likely to recur, so I sent him for 8 months of surgery/rehab.

He's just resumed light training and, having spoken to the physio again, it seems that its still likely to recur! So once he's fit I'll send him to rehab again!

In the mean time I've been OK most of the season, however my other two LBs were at one point also injured leaving me to play 16 year old regen Andrew Wallace at right back for 10 games (the kid did alright)

Dermotron
08-09-15, 11:48 AM
Had a similar issue in the Dream Team League competition for VIP's on the forum. Back when Torres was decent I spent 50m on him (whole budget) only for him to break his leg and was out for 11 months on the 1st day of training. Needless to say I didn't win that year :lol:

Fods
08-09-15, 11:52 AM
On my current game I spent 17.5m on Christian Chivu at the start of the season (a bit much but I needed a D LC and had buckets to spend).

A day after signing him he tears his groin muscle in training so, ever the conscientious manager, I spoke to the physio. Low and behold it's likely to recur, so I sent him for 8 months of surgery/rehab.

He's just resumed light training and, having spoken to the physio again, it seems that its still likely to recur! So once he's fit I'll send him to rehab again!

In the mean time I've been OK most of the season, however my other two LBs were at one point also injured leaving me to play 16 year old regen Andrew Wallace at right back for 10 games (the kid did alright)

You cant win anything with kids...

mikecoxon
08-09-15, 12:50 PM
You cant win anything with kids...

Haha well I'm 13 points clear at the top of the league, top of my Champions League 2nd stage group, in the final of the League Cup and quarters of the FA cup so hopefully you're about as right as Alan Hansen was!

JayFlo
08-09-15, 03:24 PM
I had a pretty shit three games with goalkeepers in my current story.

Excuse the quote!

For those of you that haven't seen my story, I am MK Dons and only signings players that come from countries invaded by/have provinces controlled by Islamic State (Syria, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Somalia, Algeria, Egypt, Pakistan, Afghanistan)

MK Dons vs Preston - 10th January

After the game in the manager's office...........

Jay Flo: "I'm absolutely fuming with him, absolutely fuming."

Dennis Rofe: Would you say our failure to win today was solely his fault?

JF: If this game was in isolation maybe I'd reevaluate, but it's not is it? He's like acting like he's fucking agency staff, picking and choosing when he wants to turn up!

DR: Zesh did get beaten in the air for their first, though.......

JF: So fucking what?! We were three goals up, Dennis! Three goals.

DR: Mmmm, we were. D'ya think we made the right changes before the game today?

JF: Absolutely. Zesh was beaten in the air once, and still Shenners [El Shenawy] could've put in more of an effort. Zesh's two other headers were vital. Al-Soma's scored, Feruz has scored, Dyab's scored. We fucking scored three. We were three up!

DR: What you gunna do then?

JF: I'm going to request we don't pay him this week - I'm not paying for that shit.

DR: I think you should give him one more chance, Jay.

JF: One more chance?! One more fucking chance?! Alright, one. But if he fucks up.........

DR: And what about Bellaid? Apparently there were scouts watching him today?

JF: I don't care if bloody Mourinho himself was watching and took a liking, he's not going anywhere.

MK Dons (Feruz, Dyab, Al-Soma) 3-3 Preston (Shea, Etuhu, Fejzullahu) Man of the Match: Al Nazhan, 7 Tackles Won, 4 Key, 2 Key Headers Won, 1 Assist, Match Rating 9

MK Dons vs Wolves - 13th January

After the game in the manager's office............

Jay Flo: I can't believe I listened to you! I really bloody can't.

Dennis Rofe: He was actually worse today. This computer lark rated him a 4 out of 10.

JF: A four?! A four is fucking generous. It suggests he had a bloody pulse for a start.

DR: Maybe you should play Hamad next game, Jay.

JF: You were the one telling me to give him one more bloody chance! Wolves had two shots all game. Two! They fucking scored them both and this statue gets a four! Of course I'm going to start bloody Hamed!

DR: I don't think we were helped by Dyab's suspension and Nazza [Al Nazhan] missing through injury, though.

JF: Well it's never ideal, Dennis, but Mani and Khairy weren't the issue. I still can't fucking believe it after the last game, too!

MK Dons (Rehman) 1-2 Wolves (Washington, Hogg) Man of the Match: Jon Flanagan (c), Tackles Won 4, Assists 2, Match Rating 8

Zesh Rehman becomes the second player to score in every season under Flo's management, the other is Habib Bellaid. Rumbles from club sources suggest Omar Gaber has made an official complaint to Jay Flo over the behaviour of team-mate Habib Bellaid. It's rumoured the club have turned down a couple of approaches for the Algerian and Gaber's believed to have sat down with Flo to express his displeasure with Bellaid's attitude. Flo is considered to already be under pressure at the club considering Omar Al-Soma has scored just 6 league goals in 21 games.

Arsenal vs MK Dons - 17th January

In the week running up to the game discussion on the Noticeboard:MK focused on the goalkeeper situation and Jay Flo's choice of formation. One thread, entitled "We can't win with wing-backs" argued MK Dons would never be serious challengers for silverware if they continue to play with wing-backs, stating that the problem wasn't El Shenawy but the lack of bodies in front of him. In terms of opinions voiced the consensus did seem split. On match day it became apparent that El Shenawy had been dropped from the team entirely and one caller on TalkSport who claimed to mow the lawn of Taha Dyab's cousin said he was told the 'keeper had been fined a week's wages.

Mostafa Hamed was indeed between the sticks, with Rehman and Bellaid sat in front of him, whilst the defensive midfield was a flat four of Bolasie, Khairy, Gaber and Ayad; in midfield Dyab sat behind Feruz and Brahimi, and Omar Al-Soma led the line alone. Arsenal were playing a 4411 with three ex-Saints players in their line up: Vegard Forren partnered Russell Martin at centre-back, Gareth Bale was at left-midfield and Graziano Pelle was the sole striker. Elsewhere The Gunners had Szczesny in goal, Monreal and Debuchy at left and right back, Ramsey and Crowley in central midfield, and Alexis Sanchez out wide on the right with Vidal in the hole.

MK Dons hadn't even had a sniff of a chance when Omar Gaber tripped Aaron Ramsey 20 yards out. Gaber escaped a booking but couldn't escape the sinking feeling that overcame him when Gareth Bale finished with ease from just outside the box. Arsenal doubled the lead on the stroke of half-time when Hamed clinically scythed down Alexis Sanchez and was shown a straight red card for the professional foul. With no goalkeeper on the bench, Al-Soma went in goal and Vidal scored the penalty.

Flo now had 45 minutes to endure with no 'keeper. His decision to axe El Shenawy from the team entirely was now going to cost him with Hamed sent off. Somehow it wasn't a complete onslaught and come the 80th minute only Ramsey had added a goal to the lead. Another from Vidal and one from Pelle came in the last ten minutes and the game ended 5-0 to Arsenal.

Arsenal (Bale, Vidal x2, Ramsey, Pelle) 5-0 MK Dons, Man of the Match: Gareth Bale, 2 Assists, 1 Goal, Match Rating 10

MK Dons were now 23 games into their second Premier League season and had lost six. Before this month they had lost just half that amount, but with 8 games in December and another 9 in January, the congestion was taking its toll. Fortunately, The Dons were still holding on to 6th.

To summarise, two awful performances by my keeper on the trot, conceding any shot taken at him and a rating of 4, followed by his replacement getting sent off in his first game.

Full story here: http://www.champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7114&page=7&p=253957#post253957

Redknapp69
08-09-15, 05:11 PM
My Liverpool team were flying in Europe in CL semi final and then all 3 of my keepers were out for at least 3 games.

Mignolet with a 4 game ban, Same for the reserve keeper and then Ondoa was on fecking Int'l duty or something for a while! Couldn't loan anyone either as they were ineligable for CL! :frusty:

It meant I had to play 2 key CL Semi final games with Emre Can in goal! We did ok but lost - and in between that had to play a Top 4 rival and lost as well

Then to fecking top the season off this happened................

https://www.facebook.com/champman0102/posts/945683428806347

AMC
08-09-15, 05:29 PM
Did you not have a grey keeper you could have used mate?

JLa
08-09-15, 11:23 PM
Hey, I started three games with a DL in goal and the GK as left defender without even noticing I had mixed them up. :lol: Apparently, as long as your tactic is decent nothing really matters in this game.

Redknapp69
09-09-15, 04:08 AM
Did you not have a grey keeper you could have used mate?

Yep but thought Can would be a fucking nutter and do the job! :lol:

F1Krazy
10-09-15, 09:18 PM
I forgot another one. This one happened in the third season of my ODB Ipswich game. I'd reached the FA Cup Final for the first time (after thumping Sheffield Wednesday 7-0 in the quartr-finals!) and was up against Liverpool. At around the hour mark I sent on 19-year-old Lewis Killeen, who I'd signed from Sheff Utd for 250k as a future prospect... and who then proceeded to score within ten minutes of coming on! Everything was going swimmingly, and I felt like I could actually win a trophy in CM01/02 for the first time ever.

Then five minutes from time, what does Mark Bosnich do? Commits a professional fucking foul. Liverpool equalize from the penalty spot, we have to play through extra time with ten men (though at least I had a goalkeeper to sub on this time!), and eventually we lose on penalties. I was not happy at Bosnich, let me tell you. Still waiting on that first trophy too... :mad:

KingToMadeira
11-09-15, 06:33 AM
Started a game as PSG because i would totaly dominate the french league! Signed Mexes from Auxere, Didier Agath from Celtic, willy Sangol from Bayern, Bojan Djordjic and To Madeira to beef up the team. First game a quiet 0-0 with Guingomp 2nd game Pochetino and Sangol sent off within minutes of each other and Sedan pump me 4-0. Panic buy time. In comes Roque Junior, Ze Elias, Marajo, Mart Poom and Pinilla from Colo Colo only because Roma tried to sign him. Ronaldinho started on the left wing using tapanis iodine and i scrapped my interpritation of the Dutch 4-3-3. So that should be it easy street. Monaco then beat me 2-0 !! dafuq. Its got so bad i have even considered putting Anelka up front even tho he is winging about his contract. Next game is a 1-0 loss to Bordeux :noidea: Anelka is now pissing off other players and i have yet to score a goal. I Fine Anelka for unprofessional behavior and it pisses off other players that i should be more patient with my players. Tried to release Anelka but the board blocked it :cry: Man City buy Anelka for 1.8M and i start scoring and winning some games. I put this all down to Anelka disrupting the team :D Thats what i had in my head but if this is the case that one player can disrupt like this in the game i do not know. The wee turd got the blame anyway lol

mikecoxon
11-09-15, 10:37 AM
Started a game as PSG because i would totaly dominate the french league! Signed Mexes from Auxere, Didier Agath from Celtic, willy Sangol from Bayern, Bojan Djordjic and To Madeira to beef up the team. First game a quiet 0-0 with Guingomp 2nd game Pochetino and Sangol sent off within minutes of each other and Sedan pump me 4-0. Panic buy time. In comes Roque Junior, Ze Elias, Marajo, Mart Poom and Pinilla from Colo Colo only because Roma tried to sign him. Ronaldinho started on the left wing using tapanis iodine and i scrapped my interpritation of the Dutch 4-3-3. So that should be it easy street. Monaco then beat me 2-0 !! dafuq. Its got so bad i have even considered putting Anelka up front even tho he is winging about his contract. Next game is a 1-0 loss to Bordeux :noidea: Anelka is now pissing off other players and i have yet to score a goal. I Fine Anelka for unprofessional behavior and it pisses off other players that i should be more patient with my players. Tried to release Anelka but the board blocked it :cry: Man City buy Anelka for 1.8M and i start scoring and winning some games. I put this all down to Anelka disrupting the team :D Thats what i had in my head but if this is the case that one player can disrupt like this in the game i do not know. The wee turd got the blame anyway lol

Gives me an idea for a thread - "what's the longest you've managed to keep ODB Nicolas Anelka 'happy with conditions at the club currently'?". I doubt many people could get past one season!

KingToMadeira
11-09-15, 12:33 PM
Gives me an idea for a thread - "what's the longest you've managed to keep ODB Nicolas Anelka 'happy with conditions at the club currently'?". I doubt many people could get past one season!

Great Idea, a new official challenge maybe �� I'm gonna start it just now ��

AMC
11-09-15, 01:18 PM
I had him for about 5 seasons on an old season, before making a 20m profit on him. If you always play him and praise him he's fine :D

KingToMadeira
11-09-15, 01:41 PM
I have currently got him on 180,000 per week and offered him a new contract every week untill I cant offer him any more. Around 1.9M sign on fee everytime he accepted a new contract but the best bit is the first week after accepting 180 and I couldn't offer him anything higher he didn't turn up for training lol. Didn't fine him so let his get on with it. Letizi then done it and he got a warning �� taking all the penalties and free kicks and is the captain. Happy with conditions at the club currently. If the thread starts ill post my screenies later

Lewis MacLeod
17-10-15, 02:20 PM
The game in CM 99/00 where my 32 million signing Ronaldo did his cruciate ligaments in his 4th game for Man Utd

Romano338
22-11-15, 06:26 AM
Woth Worksop in season 4 I was in League One (a miracle) and for whatever reason I reached the semies of the FA Cup after beating/crushing 3 BPL teams (2 on their pitch).
I faced Tottenham and I dominated them good. But their 1st shot at the 80th went in and they won a very undeserved 1-0. Even though on paper I should not have been here and I should have lost 5-0, I was gutted

Fods
22-11-15, 07:43 AM
Hey Romano, what makes you play with Worksop. I used to live there as a kid.

Romano338
22-11-15, 07:48 AM
Back in the days, don't remember which CM/FM, I played with them because I wanted a lower league club, and I liked their colors. I don't really remember what I did with them but I played for quite a while.

I was looking for a lower league level to start again on CM0102 and when I saw Worksop, I HAD to take them, as I "know" them!

Fods
22-11-15, 07:55 AM
Fair enough, thought you may of been from there. Nice story tho! :eyebrows:

Romano338
22-11-15, 08:54 AM
Nope, I'm french ;) I'd like to take my local club on a career someday, but I'd need to use the editor, and right now I'm kind of too lazy for that :D

BobMem
26-11-15, 04:57 PM
Worksop always makes me think of Maid Marian and Her Merry Men (showing my age).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_Marian_and_Her_Merry_Men

Goofy
26-11-15, 07:23 PM
Had a similar issue in the Dream Team League competition for VIP's on the forum. Back when Torres was decent I spent 50m on him (whole budget) only for him to break his leg and was out for 11 months on the 1st day of training. Needless to say I didn't win that year :lol:

Didn't i sell him to you? :lol: Sure i also sold another player to Oz for big bucks (Totti maybe?) only for him to retire a couple of weeks later :D