PDA

View Full Version : Olympics 2016

colml
03-08-16, 11:47 AM
So the first event of the Rio Olympics, the women's football, kicks off today. The whole build up to the games has been largely overshadowed by controversy surrounding Zika virus, doping, and unsafe venues/areas, such as the filthy Rio water.

What events are people looking forward to/looking out for?

Dermotron
03-08-16, 12:19 PM
If they started with the mens 100m sprint I don't think I'd watch another event. Maybe the football for a bit of scouting purposes.

316'sRegen
03-08-16, 12:51 PM
I like the swimming and I hope they have kept the BMX'ing :D
Generally I enjoy the whole thing though, love the big international events and they don't get any bigger.
There's always a strange or unexpected sport that catches on during the Olympics, I wonder what it will be this time?

Dermotron
03-08-16, 01:16 PM
There's always a strange or unexpected sport that catches on during the Olympics, I wonder what it will be this time?

Women's Laser Radial Class Sailing in 2012 Olympics :lol:

Annalise Murphy dominated then capitulated :(

Dermotron
03-08-16, 01:18 PM
A fella I went to school with is competing in the showjumping, Padraig McCarthy

Craig Forrest
03-08-16, 02:59 PM
Canada women's footy team plays 'Straya..... Yanks are up against the Kiwis.....

I'm sure I'll have the games on the TV while I'm doing other stuff around the house so I'll catch a bunch of events I wouldn't normally watch

Fods
03-08-16, 10:16 PM
Probably just golf and football!!

Redknapp69
04-08-16, 12:08 AM
Very low on the radar isn't it!

I'm assuming the Beeb has it on TV in UK? Will prob catch what I can - would guess most of it at a watchable time inj UK as may only be a few hours behind (depending where in country - 3 I think?)

Dermotron
09-08-16, 01:45 PM
Everyone absolutely gripped by the Olympics I see :lol:

Well done IOC on being gutless.

316'sRegen
09-08-16, 02:49 PM
BBC red button.
Free app added to the PS4 menu as well allowing you to watch whatever is live at that moment (it's also through BBC Sport)

Is it just that the main sports haven't kicked in yet? I've heard no-one talking about the Olympics at all.

Craig Forrest
09-08-16, 04:33 PM
I've been watching as much as I can, as have many of us over here..... just not really talking about it on the site

I know we're never expected to do well at the Summer games, but I watch and support. We've done pretty well in the swimming.... and our ladies 7s beat GB for the bronze.... volleyball going well, Women's footy too.... judo and fencing have been fun to watch.... track and field gets started soon

I'm getting live streams on CBC.ca, and I've got it on in the background at home when I'm doing other things :ok:

Craig Forrest
09-08-16, 04:38 PM
Interesting to note that Yulia Efimova, the Russian swimmer getting booed, was actually reinstated on the advice of WADA...... so the anti-doping agency that looked into the systematic cheating by some members of the Russian sports federation, actually told the International Swimming Federation that Efimova should be reinstated.....

drown
10-08-16, 02:04 PM
I can't believe those Russians are comparing the 'cupping' treatment that Michael Phelps had to their own doping. It's a Chinese method much like acupuncture which doesn't really add anything physically into the body but rather improve the blood circulation.

Men's soccer
Brazil 0-0 South Africa
Brazil 0-0 Iraq
:shocked:

London35
10-08-16, 02:17 PM
Neymar hat trick in last group game and then they go on to win the whole thing!!

Craig Forrest
10-08-16, 02:58 PM
I can't believe those Russians are comparing the 'cupping' treatment that Michael Phelps had to their own doping. It's a Chinese method much like acupuncture which doesn't really add anything physically into the body but rather improve the blood circulation.

Men's soccer
Brazil 0-0 South Africa
Brazil 0-0 Iraq
:shocked:

Doesn't even do that.... cupping has about as much benefit as applying leeches.... placebo effect and nothing more

drown
10-08-16, 04:01 PM
Doesn't even do that.... cupping has about as much benefit as applying leeches.... placebo effect and nothing more
I disagree with it being just placebo effect even though there isn't sufficient scientific research done into it. There is suction created and heat applied to the body during cupping and this itself is physiological.

In any case, it did help Phelps win a couple more gold medals whether mentally or physically.

Fods
10-08-16, 04:05 PM
The whole thing is a fucking joke, it's a chance for amateurs to shine, to make a name for themselves..,,,,then they introduce professional sports... ....That's ok if amateurs play the event, but no, professional players are playing professional sports in the Olympics which is as amateur event. I'm confused.

Craig Forrest
10-08-16, 04:49 PM
I disagree with it being just placebo effect even though there isn't sufficient scientific research done into it. There is suction created and heat applied to the body during cupping and this itself is physiological.

In any case, it did help Phelps win a couple more gold medals whether mentally or physically.

Show me a properly conducted study that demonstrates benefits more than just within the range of the placebo effect.... oh wait, there aren't any.... that's because there is zero evidence that it does anything other than leave a giant hickey on the skin.... and it can be dangerous if done wrong

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/23/08/3593C4CA00000578-3655854-image-a-10_1466668288568.jpg

It is pseudo-scientific nonsense..... like blood letting or leeching or eating ground up tiger penis.....

ebfatz
10-08-16, 09:42 PM
A fella I went to school with is competing in the showjumping, Padraig McCarthy

This guy Derm?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/rio-2016/video/watch/32271363/olympics-2016-padraig-mccarthy-tumbles-equestrian-rio-2016-7-olympics/

:lol:

colml
12-08-16, 10:36 AM
Women's Laser Radial Class Sailing in 2012 Olympics :lol:

Time to climb on the bandwagon once again :D

Dermotron
12-08-16, 05:11 PM
This guy Derm?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/rio-2016/video/watch/32271363/olympics-2016-padraig-mccarthy-tumbles-equestrian-rio-2016-7-olympics/

:lol:

Blocked already Ebz. They must be spending a fortune blocking every Olympic clip on the web

Silver in the rowing pairs from a pair of legends. "go from A to B as fast as you can and pull like a dog". So refreshing from a sport usually steeped in private education and general upper classes

ebfatz
12-08-16, 05:16 PM
Did notice it was nowhere to be found on YouTube!!

Dermotron
12-08-16, 05:26 PM
"Mick Conlan said he'd box the head off us if we didn't win gold" :lol:

colml
12-08-16, 06:01 PM
Legends. Seem like genuinely normal and sound fellas. Talking to BBC: "We better be careful what we say to these lads", and saying Tiocfaidh Ár Lá to rte :lol:

Rapinoe
12-08-16, 07:59 PM
Yank women for the first time ever are not gonna win a medal in football!!!! :D

Craig Forrest
12-08-16, 08:34 PM
So happy with that.... I don't even care if we medal anymore :D

CMCZ
12-08-16, 08:34 PM
The whole thing is a fucking joke, it's a chance for amateurs to shine, to make a name for themselves..,,,,then they introduce professional sports... ....That's ok if amateurs play the event, but no, professional players are playing professional sports in the Olympics which is as amateur event. I'm confused.

Amateur event?? It once was for amateurs, now it's the biggest event for many sports, a tournament where the greatest athletes come together. For many sportsmen/women a chance to score the highest achievement in their sports. (with a few exceptions like cycling and soccer.) Most athletes dedicate 4 years of their life to perform in this tournament. Dreams crushed in a few minutes or total glory. What's the "amateur" part in this??

info0
12-08-16, 09:24 PM
Show me a properly conducted study that demonstrates benefits more than just within the range of the placebo effect.... oh wait, there aren't any.... that's because there is zero evidence that it does anything other than leave a giant hickey on the skin.... and it can be dangerous if done wrong

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/23/08/3593C4CA00000578-3655854-image-a-10_1466668288568.jpg

It is pseudo-scientific nonsense..... like blood letting or leeching or eating ground up tiger penis.....

You're in the wrong here. It's well known in China. Be it placebo or not, I believe it helps. There is not a lot of scientific research on natural medicine mate. They want you to eat drugs, swallow pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ63UH4Kp9k

You don't need scientific research for this. It rises blood pressure in those areas cup suction is applied too, it relaxes muscles and helps them regenerate due to increased blood flow.

However, I feel, like in 10 years, someone will do to Phelps what someone did to Lance. He will be deemed not clean aka used illegal substances.

Fods
12-08-16, 11:25 PM
Amateur event?? It once was for amateurs, now it's the biggest event for many sports, a tournament where the greatest athletes come together. For many sportsmen/women a chance to score the highest achievement in their sports. (with a few exceptions like cycling and soccer.) Most athletes dedicate 4 years of their life to perform in this tournament. Dreams crushed in a few minutes or total glory. What's the "amateur" part in this??

"It once was for amateurs"

Exactly my point.

drown
13-08-16, 01:51 AM
The thing most 'amateur' about this particular Olympics would be the host Brazil and their administration/infrastructure.

Watching the highlights yesterday, I noticed quite a number of gold medalists mentioning that they have waited 8-10 years for that moment. One of them missed the last one due to injury and had to wait 8 years. Others were young teenagers who trained since young.

I've been following my own countryman, Joseph Schooling's exploits and he has a good chance of getting Singapore's first ever gold medal in the Olympics. Read an article about him yesterday and when he was 7, he was trying to wake his father up at 4.30am so that he could go train in the pool!

The 100m butterfly final will be on soon. Can't wait to see him in action!

*update* 1st ever Olympic gold for Singapore and a new Olympic record by Joseph Schooling! Woohoo!!

Here's a pic of Schooling with his idol Phelps back in 2008 & present.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cps7PU2XYAE7oJl.jpg
https://twitter.com/CelebrityUsers/status/764269699886641152/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Craig Forrest
13-08-16, 04:49 AM
You're in the wrong here. It's well known in China. Be it placebo or not, I believe it helps. There is not a lot of scientific research on natural medicine mate. They want you to eat drugs, swallow pills.

Actually, there is a lot of scientific research on alternative and natural medicine.... the stuff that works becomes "medicine" and the stuff that doesn't stays as "alternative" or "traditional" medicine. The majority of our medicine comes originally from natural sources. They isolate the active compound, purify it, study the proper dosages, and find a way to deliver it in an accurate and controlled manner. This is why we take an aspirin or two when we have a headache, rather than trying to guess how much willow tree bark we should chew...

You don't need scientific research for this. It rises blood pressure in those areas cup suction is applied too, it relaxes muscles and helps them regenerate due to increased blood flow.

You're going to use a youtube video as evidence? please... you can find a video for absolutely anything on youtube.... it's worse than useless as a research tool....

a) your blood pressure can't rise in specific areas only... it either rises or falls as a whole
b) it only increases blood flow to the surface of the skin when it breaks the capillaries and causes bruises and welts.... it does nothing to deep tissue or the actual muscles themselves
c) of the 550 studies done on cupping since 1958, they all show signs of poor quality and a high risk of bias. The only thing they showed any success for (above the placebo effect rate that is) was shingles. The most recent randomized control trial was done in 2013 and looked at muscle pain specifically... it showed no more effectiveness than simply letting the muscles rest on their own

You might as well go back to using leeches or letting out some of your blood to relieve your ill humours.... it will have the same effectiveness

Anyway :focus:

Rapinoe
13-08-16, 02:54 PM
I tried the cupping whilst I lived in China... it had no noticeable effect, other than the welts. Proper massage on the other hand does/did wonders for my back.

Fods
13-08-16, 11:58 PM
The only cupping I've tried is when my Mrs cups my balls when she's giving me a blowie!!!

Craig Forrest
14-08-16, 01:19 AM
That kind doesn't leave marks if she does it right....

colml
16-08-16, 04:25 PM
Michael Conlan robbed of a medal today, absolutely stunned

London35
16-08-16, 06:05 PM
the fall out from this is going to be amazing...

hes already Picking a WHOLE NEW kind of fight!!!

https://twitter.com/mickconlan11/status/765587723457589248

Shambalane
16-08-16, 06:59 PM
I believe their was an even more farcical judging last night in a gold medal bout.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/01/rio-2016-olympics-boxing-corruption-allegations

decent article about corruption before the games with the boxing.

Dermotron
18-08-16, 09:16 AM
Gatlin didn't make the final of the 200m :shocked: :eek:

London35
18-08-16, 10:14 AM

Good!

Redknapp69
18-08-16, 01:01 PM
Didn't he get massively "booed" at the 100m final?

Dermotron
18-08-16, 01:09 PM
I'd say he gets booed when he sit's down to dinner at home at this stage.

Craig Forrest
18-08-16, 01:42 PM

He fucked up.... he was going through as one of the top 2 in the heat, then he eased off at the line and got passed..... stupid mistake, and he paid for it

Blake didn't make it either....

De Grasse did though :P

Kostis
20-08-16, 06:45 PM
Nigeria bronze metal....
Or not :P just Hondura make the 2-3

info0
21-08-16, 12:41 AM
Brasil with Olympic gold beating Germany on pens 5-4. Good stuff.

Nigeria with Bronze too.

Pisani
22-08-16, 03:54 AM
https://s10.postimg.org/8d5ymc36h/image.jpg[/url]

Germany's line up :pound: