PDA

View Full Version : One Background for all

Saqum
10-11-12, 10:55 AM
Hi!

I just can't figure out how to get the game running with one single background. It keeps setting the default one (default_pic.rng) as my background.

I tried everything I could find about backgrounds in this forum. I used piced ofcourse, I even deleted (moved temporarily) all the other backgrounds, so only the one I want is in the Pictures map.

I also tried editing the pics.cfg file, allthough I must admit I probably didn't do that the right way.

Could anyone please point out to me how to get one of those (screen-filling) backgrounds the way they look in the example images in this forum set as my only (and default) background?

I think I need a background+matching menubars, right?

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,
Wim.

ebfatz
10-11-12, 11:11 AM
If you want to have just one background just turn off background changes in the settings.
How you set that pic to the pic of your choice I don't know but will be in one of the tutorials on the site.

Saqum
10-11-12, 11:19 AM
Nope. I tried that, ofcourse. But it keeps setting the background to the default one (default_pic.rng, the one with the balls in the goal). And I followed the tutorials aswell.

Thanks for the quick reply though.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome!

Saqum
10-11-12, 11:34 AM
I think I just found the solution. I deleted the default pic. :)

That seems to help.

Alan
10-11-12, 12:06 PM
Alternatively, overwrite the image you want as default_pic.rgn

Saqum
11-11-12, 09:12 AM
Alternatively, overwrite the image you want as default_pic.rgn

This has proven the best and easiest solution. For others having trouble figuring this out, I'll elaborate a bit, because it's pretty easy to achieve the 'one single background' thing(with and without the menubar) with any image. I did however have some trouble figuring this out just going by the tutorials.

1. Download any image (preferably with 800 x 600 or higher resolution) or pick one from a background-pack in the background-forum section of this site.
2a. If you picked a background from a background pack, it's most likely a .RNG file. In that case you can skip step 2b + 2c.
2b. I'm not entirely sure if this is necesary, but piced.exe says so. Your file resolution needs to be 800 x 600. Open the image with paint and resize it to the right amount of pixels.
2c. You need to convert your file to .BMP (bitmap) if it's not allready .bmp. Open the file with paint and save as .bmp. (use an easy filename, for example 'image1.bmp')
3. Open piced.exe, it's in the main CM folder.
4. Load the bitmap image using 'load bitmap background'.
5. Save it using 'save bitmap background'. Choose 'pictures' as your destination folder. Type the filename ('image1.bmp'). When it's saved you can exit piced.
6. Open the pictures folder and you'll find your file listed as a .RNG file (image1.RNG). Copy it to the CM data folder.
7. In your cm data folder is a .RNG file named 'default_pic'. Backup this file if you like and remove it from the folder.
8. Rename your image ('image1') to 'default_pic'
9. Set 'change background images' in your CM Game Settings to 'off'.
(10. If you want your background to 'overlap' your menubar, so it becomes screen filling, you have to delete (or better: move) the game.mbr and match. mbr files from the CM data directory)

Done!

Fods
11-11-12, 08:34 PM
Seems long winded when much easier solutions have Been recommended

Saqum
12-11-12, 08:56 AM
Well,

I'd be happy to hear an easier solution. I want to have one single background all the time. Please enlighten me how to achieve that in an easier way.

I do agree my explanation is somewhat long winded though. :)

KL1
15-09-16, 12:41 PM
Hi fellow managers,

I was wondering if there is a way to make the background photo the same for all windows whether it is a match or stadium or competition or squad or anything really. Just 1 plain background file to show and never change.

Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

I'm using the default by the way, with the April update.
Thank you.

Fods
15-09-16, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing your just delete all pics and remove them from the notepad file leaving the one you want. Have you tried anything at this stage?

KL1
15-09-16, 12:52 PM
I didn't want to mess things up, so I wanted to ask first.

What pics to delete? There is a "Pictures folder" with RGN files. Should I delete all of it? Then how do I input the background photo I want?
Also what "notepad file"?

Sorry for so many questions, but I never attempted any changes to the vanilla game before.

Fods
15-09-16, 12:59 PM
Im guessing you'd delete the pics you don't want to appear...

Notepad file is in the pics folder iirc

Dermotron
15-09-16, 01:25 PM
create a background (http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5868) for default_pic.rgn and then turn off background changes in settings

Psmith
15-09-16, 02:38 PM
Hi fellow managers,

I was wondering if there is a way to make the background photo the same for all windows whether it is a match or stadium or competition or squad or anything really. Just 1 plain background file to show and never change.

Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

I'm using the default by the way, with the April update.
Thank you.

Three pics for the rich clubs under the sky,
Seven for the wingers hugging the touchline,
Nine for lone strikers doomed to score,
One for the strict manager on his dark dugout
One background to rule them all. One background to find them
One background to bring them all and in the pictures folder bind them.
In the data folder where all the files lie.

KL1
15-09-16, 11:10 PM
create a background (http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5868) for default_pic.rgn and then turn off background changes in settings

I created a new bmp file for the backgroung I want with the resolution mentioned in the piced.exe and saved it in pictures folder. But when I start the game I see the old picture. I looked in the pictures folder but the new file I saved is not present.

Also there is no DEFAULT_pic.rgn but there are default01.rgn and default02.rgn only. I tried moving these 2 files from the pictures folder but the game still uses the default pic and not my background!

What am I doing wrong?

Dermotron
16-09-16, 09:49 AM
Put it in the data folder :ok:

KL1
16-09-16, 04:39 PM
Put it in the data folder :ok:

Ok so the data folder had the file you mentioned before "default_pic.rgn" in it. So all I had to do was rename my background file to that and that's it.

Finding the rgn files produced by piced.exe was a pain since they didn't appear in the "pictures" folder of the game with the rest of the default pics. Finally I found it in windows7 under "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\P rogram Files\Championship Manager 01-02\Pictures". Moved the file back to the "data" folder and renamed it to "default_pic.rgn" and after I start the game I set "Background changes" to "Off".

Now I have the one dark background I wanted.

Thank you for your help.

Dermotron
16-09-16, 05:17 PM
If you have a Virtual Store folder using CM files you need to run CM0102.exe as Administrator

KL1
19-09-16, 03:05 PM
I have the exe run in compatibility mode and "as administrator" and my user account is also an administrator.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to disable anything really.

samsami
07-10-16, 12:57 PM
Can the Virtual Store folder be deleted, I wonder?

PietroLucca
09-05-17, 03:46 PM
I want to put only one image in the background, but how ?

Dermotron
09-05-17, 04:26 PM
create a background (http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5868) for default_pic.rgn, replace default_pic.rgn in data folder and then turn off background changes in settings

:ok:

PietroLucca
09-05-17, 06:59 PM
Thanks

Butlercpfc86
30-03-20, 03:31 PM
I have tried to do this for so long know I have a migraine, it's so confusing how to add just one background image to the game. All I want is a plain dark colour as a background instead of that horrible goal mouth net background. I've donwloaded a plain solid green background and made sure it was 800x600 in paint and saved as a BMP, I've gone it the picture editor on cm01/02 and then it goes downhill. What name do I have to give the image and how the hell do I write it when I open pics.cfg in notepad.

Alan
31-03-20, 12:35 AM
Delete default_pic.rgn from CM0102\Data folder
Save the new file as default_pic in Picture Editor and ensure it is then placed in CM0102\Data folder.
Make sure Background changes is set to off in the in-game settings.