PDA

View Full Version : Women's Euro 2017

Rapinoe
19-07-17, 12:42 AM
So I'm late in starting this thread but hey better late than never, yeah?

I'll start like I did with the WWC 2015 thread, the groups and my tips for the groups...

Group A:
Holland
Denmark
Norway
Belgium

Gonna predict 1. NED 2. NOR 3. DEN 4. BEL for the group. First matches already happened on the 16th, NED - NOR 1:0, DEN - BEL 1:0.
This I think is gonna be between Holland and Norway... Denmark has their 'easy' game out of the way, and I can't really see either them or Belgium getting points off the Dutch or Norwegians without some big luck? Maybe Belgium's luck's name might be Tessa Wullaert...

Group B:
Russia
Germany
Sweden
Italy

Gonna tip 1. GER 2. SWE 3. RUS 4. ITA for the group. First matches went on the 17th, ITA - RUS 1:2, GER - SWE 0:0
I feel kinda bad for Italy and Russia to be in this group... can't see either of them beating Germany or Sweden.

Group C:
Austria
France
Iceland
Switzerland

Tips for the group: 1. FRA 2. ICE 3. SUI 4. AUT. First matches went on the 18th, AUT - SUI 1:0, FRA - ICE 1:0.
France easily should top this group... then a three-way race for 2nd place, which I think Iceland is gonna win.

Group D:
England
Scotland
Spain
Portugal

Tipping 1. ENG 2. ESP 3. SCO 4. POR
This group's not too hard to pick for - England first, Spain second. Portugal's the bottom feeder here. I'd love to see Scotland finish second but I'm having some difficulty picturing them beating Spain. Maybe, with some hard work and a fair bit of luck...
First matches on the 19th - gonna tip ENG - SCO 2:0, ESP - POR 3:0

Top two in each group advance to the quarterfinals.

At this point as a preliminary prediction, gonna say ENG - NED and GER - FRA semifinals. So... England against... hard to say who, in the final. France is hard to predict for... I'm really flipping a coin here and gonna say England v France in the final.

CMCZ
19-07-17, 07:47 AM
That would be great for England. They have finally found a way to be in an tournament final :becky:

Rapinoe
19-07-17, 02:00 PM
Maybe England should follow the approach Canada should be taking too, that Australia are taking, that China take, etc: give up on men's footie cuz you're not gonna accomplish anything meaningful there, and pour your resources into the women's game! ;)

Craig Forrest
19-07-17, 03:42 PM
excuse me, but the future may finally be looking brighter for our Men's team.... exciting young talent coming through

Still nowhere near the success or popularity of the women's team though.... but maybe one day :P

Rapinoe
19-07-17, 11:08 PM
@CF Hahaha. Yeah, maybe. But yeah, hopefully the men'll get better too.

So today, England - Scotland 6:0, Spain - Portugal 2:0. So I'm 2 for 2 on the results, but not the scores. Jodie Taylor got the first hat trick at the women's Euros in 20 years, I was only able to see bits of the match cuz I was at work, but what I did see, England really were that dominant. I think the Lionesses have made their announcement that they're here to win this.

Two matches tomorrow, which I will also miss because of work, Norway - Belgium and Holland - Denmark. I'm gonna say 1:0 wins for Norway and Holland.

Attendances have been I think fairly reasonable overall... Holland - Norway had 21,732 at Utrecht which doesn't surprise me given it's in Holland, and I expect tomorrow's game against Denmark to have a fairly large crowd too. Denmark - Belgium had 5000 (at Doetinchem (where??)), Germany - Sweden 9,276 (at Breda; this kinda surprises me, I'd've expected a bit more than that, but still, nearly 10,000 is decent), 4,781 for Austria - Switzerland (at Deventer), 5,000 for France - Iceland at Tilburg, 3,100 for Spain - Portugal (at Doetinchem; another I would've expected a larger crowd for), and 5,578 for England - Scotland (at Utrecht). The one anomalous match was Italy - Russia, which had 669 spectators at Rotterdam... true neither are a major powerhouse, but their both still decent sides, and I'd've expected at least a few thousand out for that match, too.

Still, if we compare these to attendances at Euro 2007 in Norway and Sweden, it's good progress - there, the largest crowd was 7,666 for Norway - Germany in the group stage, the smallest was 520 for Norway - Italy (at Lillestrom!), the Italy - Germany final had a crowd of 2,221 at Oslo. The average attendance for a group stage match in 2007 was 2,657 (based on the numbers for the 11 of 12 matches on the Euro 2007 wikipedia page); after 2 matches in each group in 2017, the average attendance so far is 6,892. I'd say that's pretty decent progress, and it'll only get better as time passes and women's football gets ever more recognition that the girls can, indeed, play. :)

Vrkh
20-07-17, 06:30 AM
If I'm not mistaking, the final (in Enschede) is already sold out.

AMC
20-07-17, 09:34 AM
Great start for England indeed.

Rapinoe
20-07-17, 03:39 PM
If I'm not mistaking, the final (in Enschede) is already sold out.

Nice! What is the capacity there?

Vrkh
20-07-17, 05:59 PM
Nice! What is the capacity there?

I'm not sure every spot will be available, but 30,000 it is.

Dermotron
20-07-17, 05:59 PM
Is it there or Roda has the retractable pitch?

Vrkh
20-07-17, 07:25 PM
Is it there or Roda has the retractable pitch?

That belongs to Vitesse (Arnhem).

Vrkh
20-07-17, 07:30 PM
Big win for Belgium!

Rapinoe
21-07-17, 05:01 AM
I managed to listen to about an hour of the NED-DEN match today at work. That was a really tight match, Denmark were really pushing in thr second half but the Dutch were saved by goalkeeping. Monday's matches should be very interesting. Holland are basically advanced, but not guaranteed... their game against Belgium should be good!

Vrkh
21-07-17, 09:44 AM
Soft penalty for Holland as well. Those three points are more than welcome nonetheless!

Rapinoe
21-07-17, 06:51 PM
Yeah the Danes looked pretty good there yesterday. I think if they play against Norway the way they did in the second half against Holland, they can definitely win. Interesting group though right now, basically anything can happen there still. I rather underestimated the Danes and Belgians, I think - or overestimated the Norwegians.

8,477 out to see Norway-Belgium and 10,599 for Holland-Denmark, those are both pretty great numbers!

Missed out on making a prediction on Sweden-Russia today, just woke up after a welcome sleep-in, 2:0 Sweden in the 89th minute. Today's other game is Germany - Italy, I'm gonna predict a 3:0 for Germany there.

Rapinoe
21-07-17, 09:48 PM
Well I didn't get the score right at 2:1 Germany but got the winner right at least. Germany really were dominant the whole time, though Mauro's tying goal was very nice. The ref was kinda rubbish and much too generous with handing out yellow cards and a yellow-red. So Italy are on 0 points with one game left, they're out; they play Sweden next. Russia are mathematically still alive but to advance they need either a draw against Germany and for Italy to beat Sweden (not bloody likely), or they need to beat Germany and for Italy to draw or beat Sweden (even less likely). So basically in reality Russia and Italy are both out.

Rapinoe
22-07-17, 04:45 PM
Tips for today: Iceland - Switzerland 2:1; France - Austria 2:0

Vrkh
22-07-17, 06:59 PM
Great fight between Iceland and Switzerland!

Rapinoe
22-07-17, 07:04 PM
Well I didn't get the winner right but that was a good game, Icelanders and Swiss really battled all the way. Maybe not fantastic football from a technical point of view but still an exciting match in that it never let up.

Vrkh
22-07-17, 09:08 PM
Brilliant save by the Austrian goalkeeper!!!

Rapinoe
23-07-17, 08:50 AM
Zinsberger made several great saves. I'm pretty shocked by this game, I don't think anyone expected France to have to come from behind to save a point. But props to Austria for a fantastic effort.

Tips for tomorrow: Scotland - Portugal 1:0, England - Spain 2:1

Vrkh
23-07-17, 06:52 PM
Last summer we've learned to never underestimate any Portuguese national team! ;)

Rapinoe
23-07-17, 06:55 PM
Well, Scotland - Portugal 1:2 ... neither played well, there were many mistakes, but Scotland was also unlucky... a huge missed opportunity for an early lead in the first half was wasted through lack of finishing ability. Then, a glaring defensive error that resulted in Portugal going up 1:0, and then hitting the post near the end blowing a chance to make it 2:2. Not an unfair result at all, though definitely not a match you'd use to try to promote the women's game... Scotland and Portugal both have a long way to go yet to become even middle powers.

England - Spain will definitely be a better match, though. Stoked for that one.

Vrkh
23-07-17, 07:08 PM
Easy wins for England and Spain four days ago. It'll be interesting to see them play in the same match, indeed.

Rapinoe
23-07-17, 10:03 PM
Well great job by England, 2:0 though should've been 3:0 as that disallowed goal was by no means offside. But a win's a win so no complaints. Spain had possession for a good part of the game but England did a good job of keeping them contained and away from the goal, Bardsley was only threatened a few times. They play Portugal next, so England's as good as clinched first place in the group, and Spain's likely not gonna have much trouble with Scotland so will likely finish second in the group.

Last games in Group A go tomorrow, Belgium - Holland and Norway - Denmark. Both of these should be good games. Tips? Gonna say... 1:0 wins for both Holland and Denmark.

Vrkh
24-07-17, 09:21 PM
A lot of serious injuries and lucky goals tonight.

Rapinoe
25-07-17, 09:04 AM
Didn't get to see the matches, I'll check out the highlights when I take a break at work. Whatever happens tomorrow, the Dutch and the Danes are both gonna have a tough QF match.

Gonna tip RUS - GER 1:2, SWE - ITA 2:0.

Vrkh
25-07-17, 08:24 PM
Wonderful second goal by Sabatino!!!

Rapinoe
25-07-17, 10:02 PM
Super performance by Italy there, really happy for them - beating Sweden is a big result! On the other hand Sweden have been rather disappointing in every game they've played so far. Can't see them getting past Holland if they keep playing as they have in their first three matches.

Didn't really see the Germany-Russia match but if they needed two penalties to get two against Russia, maybe that's a good sign for Denmark.

Tips for tomorrow... Gonna say Austria beats Iceland 1:0. France have also quite underwhelmed me so far... I'm gonna go out on a limb a little and predict a draw, 1:1... not quite confident enough in Switzerland to think they'll win - but if it happens I can't say it'll be a complete shock. Mild surprise, yes, shock, no.

Vrkh
26-07-17, 07:28 PM
Eurosport helped me watch both games simultaneously the pas few days, but today one of those two channels is airing a men's match...

Rapinoe
26-07-17, 08:36 PM
Well wow... half time... wow. So 2:0 Austria... Iceland made a textbook defensive failure for the 1:0 goal, then Viggosdottir own goal to make it 2:0 for Austria... but the real wow, 1:0 Switzerland... Perisset got a red on 18' to put France a player down, Switzerland converted the subsequent free kick to go up 1:0. France have been attacking hard since then so things could yet change there but if things stay as they are, Austria will finish 1st and the Swiss 2nd and France would be eliminated already in the group stage...

Vrkh
26-07-17, 09:22 PM
Talking about goalkeeper errors...

Rapinoe
26-07-17, 09:44 PM
Well France get lucky... IMO their performance so far, they didn't deserve to advance. Gutted for Switzerland. Well done to Austria though!

So... if England beat Spain tomorrow as I expect they will, we'll have England v France and Austria v Spain in the quarters.
Tomorrow gonna tip ENG-ESP 2:0 and SCO-POR 2:1

Bah. I'm disappointed, the Swiss made a good impression on me and I was really hoping they'd pull the win off.

Vrkh
27-07-17, 08:01 AM
As for today's predictions: those were the second group games :sorry:

Rapinoe
28-07-17, 04:09 AM
Ooops... oh well lol.

Good job by the Lionesses bench for the win. Stoked for ENG-FRA next, feeling pretty good about England's chances there.

Also congrats to Scotland for their win over Spain! Too bad they couldn't get a second goal to advance, but good on them for the win even so. Spain isn't gonna be an easy opponent for Austria, but Scotland beat Spain and Austria did quite well in their group so who knows!

Rapinoe
28-07-17, 10:02 PM
Well quarterfinals going tomorrow (29th) and day after, some potentially good pairings here... so here's my tips:

29th:
Holland - Sweden - 2:0 Holland. The Swedes have been underwhelming, the Dutch have been very good, I don't really see any reason this should change going ahead. I think the Dutch have been showing more desire to win than the Swedes.

Germany - Denmark - 1:1, Germany on penalties. Because that's how the Germans always win.

30th:
Austria - Spain - Hmmmm. Hmmmm. Hard to decide. But gonna say Spain's gonna win 2:1. Yeah Austria managed a 1:1 against France, and Scotland beat Spain, but... things matter now, and I think that's gonna make a difference here and so Spain are gonna play like they can, and will win.

England - France - I *want* to say 6:0 England. At the same time I have this feeling that England are gonna absolutely dominate the game but France get a lucky goal, either very early or very late, to win... 0:1 France.

Vrkh
28-07-17, 10:33 PM
It's about time Miedema is going to score some goals!

Vrkh
29-07-17, 07:32 PM
Lieke Martens is on fire!

Rapinoe
29-07-17, 09:05 PM
2:0 Holland! :D

GER-DEN postponed till tomorrow....

Rapinoe
30-07-17, 06:00 PM
Germany - Denmark 1:2 ... O_O

Wow!

Vrkh
30-07-17, 08:13 PM
Spain out as well...

Rapinoe
30-07-17, 08:19 PM
and then another wow... Austria over Spain in penalties... what a day. Austria v Denmark semifinal to come? I wouldn't ever have predicted that...

now come on England!

Rapinoe
30-07-17, 09:36 PM
Sweeeeet England 1:0! Bring on the Dutch!

Vrkh
31-07-17, 07:33 AM
They must keep an eye on Jodie Taylor.

Rapinoe
31-07-17, 10:28 PM
ENG - NED is going to decide the winner, I think. Stoked for that game, it should be a great one!

Vrkh
03-08-17, 07:41 AM
The waiting is almost over. Please, let at least one of the two games be a great one to watch!

Rapinoe
03-08-17, 12:47 PM
England v Holland has the potential to be fantastic, for sure. Though I expect Austria to do their best to keep their match boring.

Tips... Denmark 2:0, England 2:1 in extra time.

And now that I've said that... watch. England's gonna lead 1:0 from the 6th minute and remain in full control of the game until the Dutch get an absolutely fluke goal on 92'. van Veenendal's gonna make like 15 saves during extra time, England gets a goal on 118' called back even though it was on side by miles, and the Dutch win on PKs.

Vrkh
03-08-17, 10:06 PM
The host nation in the final. It's a bloody shame! :angel:

Vrkh
06-08-17, 09:15 AM
What's the deal for today? 6-0 or something? :heh:

Vrkh
06-08-17, 10:43 PM
Amazing final and six goals scored indeed!

https://s2.postimg.org/kbynfmq09/WEURO.jpg