Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenge 36 - Whooping Wagner

vCash
    Decided to go with no-transfer to avoid points deduction.

Goals scored: 56 points
    Goals conceded: -68 points
    Total: -12 points

I think i might do better with couple of key signings and absolutely with better nww tactics. I find this very challenging.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Faceless For This Useful Post:

Redknapp69 is offline Soccer Manager - Division 1 Title/Cup
    Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    This might be one of the best challenges yet chaos

I might give it a another whirl with no transfers and see how I get on

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AJ, AMC

vCash
    Liked the difficulty of this challenge and going to have to try it again as I managed to get the sack before Christmas

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Y2Kicker For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    wow this is so hard for a tactical doughnut like myself, tried twice relegated twice I'm determined to keep them up!!

vCash
    woohoo 3rd time lucky, Huddersfield stay in the Premier League , this was the hardest challenge I've had!
    I decided to go for it this time, no defensive bullspit, Attack Attack Attack.
    so many injury prone players and strikers that couldn't hit a bus from 10 yards away grrrr anyway here's the screenies
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

I never want to do this again, period!!

Goals scored = 46 points
    Goals against = 59 points
    Challenge total -13 points

9. The Following User Says Thank You to evesham For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sacked after 11 games .... 11 defeats

I decided to sell a few players who I wasn't going to use, and built up enough in the kitty to buy Vardy for £4.1m from Leicester. The fans were ecstatic
    The opener at home to Brighton, and we were well ontop although the score was 1-1. I made my final changes, the keeper was sent off and we went down 3-2
    Game 2 Bournemouth. In control, keeper gets injured, no subs left 0-2
    Game 3 Burnley. In control again and leading 1-0 when they score twice in injury time.

Then we met the big teams with only a teenage keeper and no reserve. We gave them a good fight, but once Vardy was injured v Liverpool in game 4, we had no fire power.

If we didn't have bad luck, we would have no luck at all. I'm going to give this another go, but hell this is a tough one.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Whooping Wagner (Reloaded)

After my first disaster, where I was sacked after 16 games, I thought I'd give this another try. This is by far one of the toughest short challenges as the Huddersfield team is absolutely woeful. The strikers are unfit and couldn't score in a brothel and not helped by a midfield that is totally lacking in any creativity. Scoring goals was a nightmare. The only saving grace are the keepers Jonas Lössl and Rob Green. It made for a season that had more ups and downs than Nemesis at Alton Towers.

My strategy was to go with what I had, but to sell off as much of the dross so that I could make a big signing in January if they were likely to make a difference. Booty, Hiwala, Horsfall, Kane and Scanell all left, generating £1.725 million. I was left with 2 long term injuries, 5 transfer listed, 2 reserve keepers and a 1st team squad of 22 players. It wasn't much and there was little room for injuries and suspensions. The backroom was totally overhauled. I kept 1 scout to check out the next opponents and sacked the rest. I got rid of the assistant and all the coaches and recruited new ones, including Cris, Glen Hoddle and Stipe Pletikosa, then brought the physios upto quota.

And so we started at home to Brighton, a game that we should be looking to win if we were to have any chance. It was a cautious formation as I didn't realise quite how useless the attacking options were

Fortunately, Tom Ince was a man on a mission, and his 2 goals landed a 2-1 win. It was the start of one of the season's highs. Despite going down at Palace, and an injury time freekick giving Southampton all 3 points, we beat Watford, got a point from Newcastle and, amazingly, came from behind to take a point from Old Trafford with an Aaron Mooy header. 8 points after 6 games. Top 10 should be easy if we could continue like this.

We couldn't.

6 straight defeats. No goals scored and hardly any shots attempted. That run did include a League Cup defeat to Sunderland where I played reserves and youths. There was no chance of us making any progress. We were down in 19th. Time for a change of plan and a tweak to the formation

Moving Ince further forward might give some more support to the front man, and removing the forward arrows might allow the midfield to last for 90 minutes. It worked. Starting with a 1-1 draw at Stoke, we followed it up with wins at home to Bournemouth, then away wins at West Brom and Leicester. 10 points out of a possible 12 in November. A minor miracle that was marked by this …..

And the run didn't stop there. A draw at Swansea, then, infront of the TV cameras, a 0-0 draw with Chelsea that had viewers leaving their sofa's well before full-time. Never the less, we were back in the top 10

Not surprisingly, we lost to City and Liverpool, but snastched a draw at Watford then beat a very poor Newcastle to end the calendar year in 13th. Encouraging, but looking closely, getting to 10th, and some points, is a long way off. We can expect United to win most of their games in hand, which leaves 9th placed Southampton the target, 7 points and a game in hand ahead, and they have a better goal difference

I now had the question of what to do about transfers. I was losing Lössl and Hadergjonaj who had been on loan, but I did have 3 deals lined up

Green would directly replace Lössl and I had 2 others in the reserves. The defence had been relatively solid, injury and suspension free. Zanka would be a direct replacement for Hadergjonaj and I still had Crainey as a back up, before resorting to playing someone out of position. I decided that Steve Cook would not generate the 100 points he would cost, so that deal was cancelled. Amrabat and/or Berahino ? Getting to an FA cup semi-final would be a lottery and I doubted that either of them would make a difference. Could either of them generate the 7 points to Southampton ? I doubted it, so both of those deals were also canned. I would play out the season with the players I started with.

One win in 8 over January and February (again I didn't contest the FA Cup tie with Derby) and my recruitment decisions were looking like a bad mistake. We were only 6 points clear of the bottom 3 and needing a lift. And then came the miracle of March. It started with a 4-0, our biggest win of the season, at home to Stoke. Despite being battered by Everton, Palmer and Quaner scored with our only shots of the game for a 2-0 win, then 3 goals in the first 20 minutes sunk Burnley. As most teams only had 2 league games in March, that earned my second Manager of the Month, an achievement only matched by Conté

And the league was also getting a bit more interesting. 6 games left, one final push

Typically, we scored just 3 more goals, 3 draws, including a 2-2 at Stamford Bridge, and 3 defeats. It left us 13th in the final table

Overall, that is a decent performance and probably reflects the year as a whole. We were rarely in any real relegation threat and I got the bonus of the Manager of the Month awards. They were a bit of a fluke and more to do with fixture scheduling (we got all the big teams together, then all the lesser teams, and they happened to coincide with the start of a month. A couple of pints to note

Other than the keepers (Lössl averaged 7.76 before he left) nobody covered themselves with glory. Ince was the top scorer with 8 which is pretty shocking

A special mention needs to goto Laurent Depoitre. It isn't very common that I see a 3 rating, and usually only for a goalkeeper who is having a stinker. Never for a striker. Depoitre managed to achieve this twice in 18 games …. good effort !

Scores

Manager of the Month 200
    Goals Scored 32
    Goals Against -39

Total 193
    Last edited by Kingsley; 03-08-18 at 03:28 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just finished this frustrating but rewarding save. After losing 10 in a row, and struggling to find a decent tactic, my desire to keep Huddersfield up outweighed my quest for challenge points, and I ended up buying 17 players!

We did turn it around though and finished 16th, and I managed to find a tactic I liked, which was simply taking the default attacking 352, and dragging one of the strikers into the DM position. It stopped us conceding so much, and we scored more. Notable wins were 6-1 against Crystal Palace and a 1-0 over Chelsea. We won 5, drew 9, and lost 4 of our last 18 games, so dragged ourselves out of it.

This was too tough for me, and with my Manager of the Month award I end up with -1614 points!

The squad is poor, and the only original players who performed regularly for me were Schindler, Mooy, and Ince.

You really need a killer 3 at the back tactic to succeed at this with the squad that you inherit.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I had a go at this and lasted 22 games before I got sacked.

I won 0 game drew 3 and lost 19 with 16 goals scored and 80 conceeded.

How I didn't get sacked before this I will never know.

Worst defeat was 2-9 to Manchester City. Also lost 1-7 to Arsenal.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adnams For This Useful Post:

vCash
    this challenge still open?? Fancy doing something different before the new update comes out...

vCash
    yeah go for it

20. The Following User Says Thank You to evesham For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yeah there's no closing date for any of the challenges mate.

vCash
    righty so - 10 games in w4 d1 l5. after a very shaky start with a 3-0 loss away to Watford followed by a 1-0 loss at home to palace I soon realised "attack" wasn't going to fit my set up. For some reason says my screengrab isn't in a valid format but will figure it out to post some screenshots. Transfer window came and went decided not to sign any players.

with some tweaks I've gone on to the 3rd round of EFL and have beaten Sthmton (H), Everton (A) and Bmouth (H) with a 3-1 loss to Man U in between.

I've gone with a 3-3-2-1-1 set up with wing backs, a DMC, 2 MCs, 1 AM 1FC and of course 3 DCs

Keeping figures crossed to stay away from the injury plight the others have experienced!

vCash
    What a bloody difficult challenge! After such a positive start my next run of 7 fixtures included citeh, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and pool - all of which we got battered in! In the mean time I lost Lossl and Hadergjonaj... there was simply no bouncebackabilty and after the morale thrashing results away losses to West Brom and Stoke, a top 10 finish was not going to be possible so I decided not to prolong the inevitable! I might have another go at this in the coming weeks - I think transfers are required its just balancing out how many...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dazbc For This Useful Post:

vCash
    It is a beast of a challenge

vCash
    I may jump on this one however it means needing to re download another version of CM0102 the list just keeps growing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12