Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: The Alphabet Game #4 - October 2017 Data Update

vCash
    Ulsan, as expected, was no walk in the park. The board soon injected £2.8 million to ease the club's financial woes but we were still firmly in the red. Ten defeats in a row had seen Ulsan slide to the foot of the table but thankfully there is no relegation to worry about. I didn't have to look to hard to see why we were bottom. The squad was hopeless bar a couple of half decent players and the terrible run had caused a morale crisis. I went crazy on loan signings in a bid to restore order. The losing streak stretched to eleven after my first match in charge, which was a late 3-2 defeat at Sangju Sangmu. However, things picked up as we won three of our final four league matches to climb off the bottom. The season wasn't over, as in South Korea, the cup takes place at the end of the league season. We saw off two non-league sides and Jeonnam from the K League to book our place in the semis. We were given the toughest draw possible away to comfortable champions Jeonbuk. Twice we took the lead and twice we were pegged back. We were on the back foot for most of the game but held firm through extra time, so a penalty shootout would decide the finalists. It was very tense, going to eight kicks each but we lost out 6-5.

The cup run had helped our finances further but there was still plenty of work to do so that we could even challenge for the title next season. I placed virtually the entire squad on the transfer list but only a couple attracted any interest at all, and they were our only decent players. Infuriated, I resigned in January and decided to take my chances elsewhere. I was rejected by almost everyone until late March. I applied for this one more in hope than expectation and did not expect to land it, but I wasn't complaining.

Six points clear with seven matches to go, it should have been a breeze. It didn't quite turn out that way. It started well enough at Dundee United as an early Sam Baldock double put us in control but United pulled one back and made for a nervy second half. Not the greatest performance but we saw the game out and went eight points clear of Hearts after they drew at Hibernian and nine clear of Celtic, who lost at home to Dundee. Then we lost at home to bloody Kilmarnock, miles adrift at the bottom who hadn't won an away game all season! Then came the split and first up, Dundee at home. Another slow start saw us fall behind early and it took until the stroke of half time for us to draw level. The second half was better as three goals made it comfortable in the end. We took another three points at Hibs thanks to two strikes just before the interval. By now, Celtic were out of contention but Hearts were clinging on to our coat tails, remaining five points behind, with us still to visit Tynecastle.

First up was the small matter of my first Old Firm Derby at Ibrox. We could have sealed the title with a win if Hearts were to fail to win at Motherwell. Celtic scored early and we failed to respond sufficiently. It was a fairly even match but we left empty handed. We were given a reprieve by Motherwell who beat Hearts 3-0. It meant that a point at Tynecastle would be enough to win the league with a match to spare and for once we actually started quite well. Their keeper kept them in the game before they took a totally undeserved lead a couple of minutes before half time. We had a few more chances in the second half but so did they and a late second put us out of sight and sent the title race to the final day.

I couldn't believe that we were in this position but it was still in our hands and all we needed was a point at home to Motherwell. Still, it was no guarantee, given the way we were playing. Hearts travelled to face Edinburgh rivals Hibs. At Ibrox, an early Steven Fletcher goal should have settled any lingering nerves, only for the visitors to equalise almost immediately. It was yet another nervy performance but we had restored our lead before half time. Hearts ended up losing 4-1, so the title was safe. It was just as well, as Motherwell's second equaliser four minutes from time would have set up a tense finish. We still had time to find a winner thanks to an own goal but it was all academic. We did our best to throw it away but Rangers were champions and I had my second letter ticked off.

My world rep is up to 667th, which I don't think will be enough to land the half decent jobs abroad yet. I'll stay at Ibrox for the time being and try to improve it. I think I may need a lie down first, though.
    Last edited by CMAdventurer; 06-03-18 at 02:41 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The short: 'D' is finally done.

The long: Quite simply the best season I've ever had on this game. We went unbeaten the entire season in domestic football, breaking the 100pt barrier in the league and winning both Cup competitions. This was even better than I'd expected when I turned down the Everton job and a ludicrous £317m transfer budget on 28th October in the aftermath of a thumping win over Celtic that had put us 14 points clear already and had me confident of finally getting over the line. I can't really say how satisfying this feels after struggling to overcome Celtic for so long, to finally get it done in some emphatic style is really brilliant.

Now to find a new job - with 25 letters to choose from and me ranked 116th in the world, hopefully it won't be too difficult to find something!

Completed: Dundee Utd 2024

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Fantastic season, NormandyWept! Glad to see that persisting with Dundee Utd paid off for you in the end.

vCash
    you worked hard to get that title Normandy and undefeated even better, well done mate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormandyWept View Post
    Another brilliant season with Dundee United, somehow reaching the Europa League Final despite playing my reserves in the competition whenever we had less than 5 days to the next game. We lost 1-0 to Leverkusen in the Final, but it was a superb effort that hopefully did my reputation no harm.

Unfortunately in the league Celtic were back to their best and although we had a watertight defence (not even conceding a goal in the league until October!), we drew too many games especially after the split to let them win the title with two games to spare and then I threw the last game against them to prioritise the upcoming Europa League Final.

I wonder if I will ever be able to do more than split the Old Firm: one of them always seems to have a super season and although I've clearly built a great team as evidenced by our upset of Atletico Madrid amonst others in Europe, we are finding it very difficult to get over the line in the league...
    Keep going mate, don't let them buggers defeat you!

EDIT: Didn't realise there was another page What a season! Well and truly smashed it! I'm sure a new job will come very quickly after that, and probably a quick one after the struggle with Dundee Utd.

vCash
    Well done CMA, good to see you win the Scottish League with a proper club You did your best to throw it away there, but you managed to cross the line in the end. Much wheeling and dealing to be done in the summer?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Well done CMA, good to see you win the Scottish League with a proper club You did your best to throw it away there, but you managed to cross the line in the end. Much wheeling and dealing to be done in the summer?
    Cheers, sorry to put you through the wringer. Hopefully it will be more straightforward next season. It's been a quiet summer, only spent £57 million on transfers. Still no one abroad is willing to take a punt on me, so looks like I'll have to spend a full season at Rangers first.
    Last edited by CMAdventurer; 01-03-18 at 07:32 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash

2020-21: Rangers

With no suitable job offers coming in, I was forced to spend the full season at Rangers. A few new players were brought in, including veteran Wayne Rooney and Jonjo Shelvey. It was a very good season for us, as we managed a domestic treble.

The league was a tense affair. We led the way for most of the season but Celtic were much improved from last season and remained in touch until the end. This was mainly thanks to our poor Old Firm Derby record, having lost the first two and thrown away a win by conceding a late equaliser in the third, although we did beat them en route to winning the League Cup. Going into the split, our lead had been cut to a solitary point before we faced off again. This time, we turned on the style.

There was a sense of deja vu about our title victory, as for the second year running, we missed two opportunities to seal it and it went down to the last game. Aberdeen were the visitors to Ibrox and we needed to win. It took a while to break them down but once we did, there was no doubt about the destination of the title. We delivered a sparkling performance in the second half, 6-0 the final score. We've had some memorable matches against Aberdeen this season, and it was easy to see why our fans were chanting “Can we play you every week?” at the end.

Our European adventure was over quicker than I would have hoped. We had to negotiate two Champions League qualifying rounds to make the group stage. We breezed past Ludogorets in the first of those, only to be drawn against Atletico bloody Madrid. A 4-0 defeat in the first leg meant there was no coming back, although we did record an excellent 2-1 victory in the return, which gave me a nice reputation boost and indicated that we were going places. We were then knocked out of the Europa League by Feyenoord.

My world reputation is now up to 387th, so hopefully I'll find somewhere soon. I have also taken my first job in international management with Burkina Faso, and we have the African Cup of Nations looming. If I do stay on at Rangers, my priority will be improving the defence, as we conceded too many goals for my liking. I may yet resign and concentrate on the AFCON with Burkina Faso, and then qualifying for the 2022 World Cup so I can get sacked, who knows?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    Ulsan
    Oh hey, for a brief while you were at the same club that I'm at now. Except my Ulsan have a very healthy budget, so I can buy any league player I want, yet still can't achieve success for some reason. After a lengthy break I decided to play yet another season, but with 10 points behind and only seven games to go my team will most likely finish 2nd or 3rd once again. It's like a curse. Maybe I should just stop fooling around and finally learn how to wib-wob

vCash

Took me long enough!

I was close to giving up in frustration, but decided to go for one last effort. I strengthened the squad even further, significantly improved the coaching staff and considerably modified the wib-wob screens of my tactics. The team rewarded my persistence with an enthusiastic all-season performance, smashing a few league records in the process. Then we topped off an excellent year with our third FA Cup victory in a row. My best player by far was Quentin Dembi, former Sochaux star who scored a pretty amazing 37 goals in 34 games for an average rating of 8.56.

Now to move somewhere with no foreign player restrictions...

6 letters:
    C - Columbus Crew
    J - Jagiellonia Bialystok
    K - KamAZ Naberezhnye Chelny
    P - Police Service of Northern Ireland
    S - Slask Wroclaw
    U - Ulsan Hyundai

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to navpirx For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Inspired by this thread and its cool stories plus in need of a new challenge I took the Alphabet game on board for a new save....

Maybe will go into more depth of it all in the How Are You Doing thread if I find the time - anyway, the calender's already showing September 2017, when a small Finish club, solid 80 miles east of Helsinki, is tumbling toward relegation in the second Division Ykkönen, finally takes a punt on the unknown quantity that's me:

KTP Kotka; with four games to go and fallen to 8th spot right into the relegation play-off zone, only a single point to spare to the two spots that send you straight into nonexistence. It's a scenario as good as I can probably hope for, given nobody knows my name so far. Here I can make a name for myself... either in a good or a bad way!

The "new manager effect" seems to have the desired impact - we draw one and win the final three games of the season for a finish that leaves us a mere five points outside the promotion play-offs eventually! What a tight little leagues this Finish Ykkönen is!

However, at this point I have already set my eyes firmly on the Job that's becoming available at Haka Valkeakoski. Without a manager, after finishing third last in the Ykkönen North, the club at least saves themselves from relegation in the Play-Offs - that's when I sense moment to make the dream come true: manager the one Finnish football club I hold dearly to my heart.

A move decided by the heart, not the head. Circumstances at Haka are dire. Should I have stayed in Kotka? The best players on the move, little to no money available, and those players with the lit bit of quality that could enhance this small but talentless squad aren't mad keen to sign on for my project "Make Haka Great Again!".

Nonetheless, there is enough to see us winning the Ykkönnen South by a wide margin in 2018 right away... yet we throw all away in the first leg of the promotion play-off against Ykkönnen South runner-up Oulu... it's a bitter pill to swallow.

I'm close to throw in the towel during the agonizingly long seasonal break. But where to go? There's nowhere to go! The club debt approaches the €1.2m mark, we lose some of our better talent and find it still tough to attract anyone with two legs and a bit of class in same. Starting the 2019 season we're actually weaker, if only in depth, and need to bolster the squad with some very mediocre players brought in on loan.

We finish 2nd and qualify for the play-offs once more, regardless. Thankfully we peak at the right time this time! We beat JJK and Turku respectively - promotion! That we also make it into the Cup final, which we lose against a top flight side is a pity, but certainly no big deal.

Rising debt - although the board regularly pumps some money into the club - and attracting talent remains an issue. Nonetheless, particularly from non-league- & relegated Ykkönnen sides we were able to pick up for free some fair pieces. Can we finish in a European spot, first year back in the big leagues?

Well, halfway through the season we're doing way better! In fact it's a scrappy neck and neck fight with HJK Helskini, the champ of the last two years. Ten games out, we're a point ahead, have to play HJK in our backyard - in front a Haka home record crowd we slaughter HJK - 4-0!

HJK's confidence seems shattered - they are going to lose five of their remaining games, whereas we keep mistakes to a bare minimum in the season finale: with two games to go, Haka Valkeakoski wins the Finish Veikkausliiga!

It's the near perfect year: we also land the Suomen Cup, make it the Finish double!

I have become the highest rated manager in Finnland - although, worldwide still only 844th place in terms of reputation. Still a long way to go.... somewhere else, as with heavy heart I resign from my role at Haka, knowing full well a new challenge lies ahead.

1 Letter:
    H - Haka (Finnish Veikkausliiga 2020)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Porridge Flo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I have been away from the game for a few months but have come back with the release of the new update. I shall be taking up this challenge as it looks great fun but with the new update applied as there isn’t an alphabet game for the new update. Will post as and when the first job gets offered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Following the release of the October 2017 Data Update and saturn's v4 patch, the time has come for a FOURTH instalment of the Alphabet Game

There were some great suggestions for the next round of the game but what we're going to do this time is to win the top tier league title with every letter of the alphabet to complete the game. To make things a little bit easier, we don't have to go in order this time so you can tick off the letters whichever way you prefer!

Specifications
    Requirements: Saturn's v4 patch which is bundled with the October 2017 Data Update.
    Start Year: 2017.
    Database: Maximum.
    Masked Attributes: Off.
    Selected Leagues: ALL league selected but don't include the lower leagues.

Instructions - Start a new game with the above settings and take over as Everton (who are unmanaged in the game) before resigning and waiting patiently for your first job!

Aim of the Game
    Tick off every letter of the alphabet by winning the league in the top tier of any country! National teams DO NOT count.

Join in and post your progress as you go along, let's have some fun

The following is a recorded list of members who have taken on this challenge. I'll keep this updated to see who is 'winning' so far:

Alphabet Table
    25 - evesham (Arsenal, Benfica, Corinthians, Dender, Everton, Feyenoord, Genk, Hibernian, Ipswich, Jagiellona, Knockbreda, Leverkusen, Monaco, Newcastle, Olympiacos, Pohang, Q.P.R., River, San Jose Earthquakes, Trabzonspor, Union Berlin, Viking, West Ham, Yokohama, Zenit)
    16 - AJ (Anderlecht, Barcelona, Chicago, Dundalk, FC Dallas, Girona, Huracan, Juventus, Liverpool, Milan, PSV, RB Leipzig, Standard Liege, Toronto, Vitesse, Watford)
    15 - PilgrimPete (Ards, Ballinamallard, Celtic, Dundee Utd, Eginiakos, FC Bayern, Glenavon, Hearts, Karaiskakis, Lahti, Motherwell, Newcastle, PSG, Rangers, St. Mirren)
    5 - GFRay (Crusaders, Heracles, Ilves, Lahti, Zadar)
    5 - navpirx (Columbus Crew, KamAZ, PSNI, Slask Wroclaw, Ulsan)
    4 - Andrea71 (Brondby, Hobro, Lahti, Midtjylland)
    2 - CMAdventurer (Cliftonville, Rangers)
    2 - Pegster (Skive, Wexford)
    1 - BlackyM (Gent-Zeehaven)
    1 - GFRay (Toronto)
    1 - Mark (Western Sydney)
    1 - MR_Punk (Skive)
    1 - NormandyWept (Dundee Utd)
    Going to start this. Not that I can win now as so far behind but looks fun. Can you use any formations and tactics as didn't see anything about that in the rules?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910