Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The Alphabet Game #4 - October 2017 Data Update

vCash

End of Season Update

Final League Table

A disappointing 3rd place all things considered. The 0-0 draw with leaders HSV on matchday 16 (my third game in charge) was the start of a 12 match unbeaten run, which included 7 consecutive wins. This meant that with 7 games to go, we were just 2 points behind HSV. I felt confident that we could overtake them in that time, but we then lost our next two games, meaning that HSV were 6 points clear. Both ourselves and HSV won our next three, so we went into the penultimate game needing to beat HSV at their place to take it to the final day. The 1-1 draw we got was decent, but not enough to stop HSV claiming their 3rd title in 4 seasons. The 0-2 defeat we suffered at Leverkusen on the final day, meant that we had to settle for 3rd place.

Europa League

Wins over Eupen, Palermo, and Krylja Sovetov meant that we progressed to the semi-final. We were drawn against AC Milan, and lost the first leg 1-3 in Italy. However, in the second leg, we smashed them 5-0 to reach the final. We played Turkish side Goztepe in the final in Copenhagen, and beat them comfortably 2-0.

This was Dortmund's second success in this competition.

Dortmund have done well in Europe in this save.

This win was good for my reputation too, and I was briefly in this position.

Next Season

They'll be plenty of arrivals and departures this summer, to give us the best chance of challenging for the title next season. HSV will be tough to overcome, and with their strong defence, lost just two league games this season. They were knocked out of the Champions League in the semi finals by my old club Kayserispor last season, and reached the final the previous season.

Inexplicably, after our 5-0 win over AC Milan in the Europa League Semi Final, several members of the squad stated that they had 'lost confidence in their manager's ability'. Now we've reached the end of the season, they no longer feel this way, but I'm not having it. They're all going on the transfer list. Four of them were players that I signed in January, and one of them is Jakub Kucharski, who was with me at Kayserispor. He's been excellent since he came into the side, but I'm not having players that could turn on me.

I'll provide a transfer update before the start of next season.

A: Akhmat Grozny - Russian Premier League 2027
    C: Club Brugge - First Division A 2026/27
    E: Estudiantes - Argentina Superliga (Closing Stage) 2029/30
    K: Kayserispor - Turkish Super Lig 2030/31
    O: Oostende - First Division A 2025/26
    P: PAOK - Greek Superleague 2023/24
    S: Skive - Danish Superliga 2018/19
    X: Xanthi - Greek Superleague 2021/22
    Z: Zenit St. Petersburg - Russian Premier League 2029

vCash

Transfer Update

We're about to kick off the start of the new season with a Champions League Qualifier 1st Leg at Ludogorets. I've been busy again in the transfer market, offloading 18 players, (including 4 of the traitors that I mentioned in my previous post) bringing in around 188M. I've spent around 129M on these 13 players.

Carlos Palacios was with me at Club Brugge and Akhmat Grozny, and will hopefully provide plenty of assists from the left hand side with his high crossing and dribbling attributes.

This is the fifth time I've signed Giacomo Perego, (Oostende, Club Brugge, Kayserispor, Twente) and the third time I've signed him in the last two years! A tackling machine with that Positioning attribute.

Marcio Moreira dos Santos has been a regular in the Goztepe side that has been so successful in this save. He is Brazil's first choice keeper. Hopefully he'll be an upgrade, and do well for us. There wasn't another keeper available that had similar attributes for Handling, Agility, and Reflexes.

I'm hopeful that we can knock HSV off their perch this season.

vCash

Mid Season Update

Transfers

I've added just two players in the winter transfer window. Callum Hudson-Odoi did well for me at Kayserispor. He eventually fell out of favour there, so I snapped him up for 5.75M. Seems like a bargain considering his high Jumping, Off The Ball, and Finishing attributes. Joaquin Matosas did well for me at FC Twente. When Utrecht activated his 2M buy out clause, I decided to get involved, and that fee is a bargain considering his age and Positioning attribute.

DFB-Pokal (German Cup)

We're into the semis after easing past Rostock, Dusseldorf, Monchengladbach, and Hannover 96.

European Super Cup

A solid 1-0 win over Barcelona confirms my belief that we can have a successful season both at home and in europe.

It's also done my rep no harm either.

Champions League

We eased past the Bulgarian side Ludogorets in the qualifying round, and were drawn in a group with Barcelona, Galatasary, and Rangers. Galatasary and Rangers were both beaten home and away, and we drew both games with Barcelona to win the group. We're currently top of our second phase group which contains Atletico Madrid, Fenerbahce, and my previous employer, Club Brugge.

World Club Cup

We won our group with wins over Tigres (Mexico), Copa Libertadores Champions, Santa Cruz (Brazil), and a draw with Moghreb Tetou (Morroco). We then played Moghreb Tetou in the semis, and beat them 2-0 to reach the final against the Brazilians, Joinville, who reached the final of the Copa Libertadores, and got to this final by putting Barcelona out on penalties.

This comfortable win means that Dortmund are World Champions for the first time in their history.

League

This is how the title race is looking just over halfway through the season.

As you can see it's going brilliantly. We're top scorers, and have been ruthlessly solid defensively. A ten point lead over champions HSV at this stage is excellent. We go to HSV in our next game in what is a championship six pointer. A win for us gives us a thirteen point lead, and HSV a mountain to climb. A defeat for us closes the gap to just seven points with fourteen games left to play. I'll be happy with a draw.

This win over 3rd placed Bayern (who had won their previous six league games) shows how dominant we've been.

My Man of the Match made an incredible 18 dribbles!

Even though his dribbling attribute is nothing special

My next update will be at the end of the season. We've played 39 games in all competitions so far, and have yet to be beaten, and we didn't concede a single goal in the first 15 of those games.

Last edited by Libertine; 16-10-19 at 10:46 PM.

vCash

End of Season Update

League

Our next game after my last update was away to HSV. We won the game comfortably 3-0 with 9 shots to their 1, and went thirteen points clear. Below is the final league table showing Dortmund as champions, which is their first title in 9 seasons.

We wasn't as formidable in the final third of the season, and lost our first game in all competitions 1-2 at Frankfurt on Matchday 24. However, we finished 17 points clear of HSV, are joint top scorers, have the best defence, and broke the points record for Bundesliga champions in this save. (Not IRL though)

I'm delighted to pick up my 10th letter, by using the flat 352 formation at home, and the 352 Attacking formation away from home. This is my first title in this save with a club from one of europe's top five leagues. (The Bundesliga is in fact the highest ranked league). I've been able to fulfil a personal challenge of mine which was to win a top title playing a formation that contains wingers, a strike duo, three at the back, and no-one in the DMC role.

It was very much a squad effort this season, but I've picked out two players who have made the biggest impact.

Moreira dos Santos may have cost 24M but he was worth every penny. He was the best keeper in the division, made important saves, and helped make a great defence into an even greater defence. As you can see, he conceded just 5 goals in his 27 games, which means that between them, the other keepers at the club conceded twice as many goals in just seven games.

Phil Mkhize proved to be a surprise star of the squad. He cost just 100K from Santos (RSA), and was the complete midfielder, scoring high on Average Rating, Man of the Match, Goals, Assists, and Average Tackles per Game.

DFB Pokal

We beat Leverkusen in the semi final, but Frankfurt proved to be a bogey team for us, and we were prevented from winning the double when we were defeated 0-1 in the final.

Champions League

We won our second phase group with a game to spare, then eased past Man. Utd in the quarter finals 6-2 on aggregate. We then came up against Barcelona again. The spanish giants had won the last six La Liga titles, and the last three European Cups. Earlier this season we beat them in the European Super Cup, and drew both of our first phase group stage games against them in this tournament. We got a good 1-1 draw at the Nou Camp, but were defeated 0-1 at home, enabling Barcelona to reach their fourth successive final which they won by beating HSV on penalties.

The Future

There are a couple of jobs that I'm interested in where the manager is very insecure. Gary Rowett at QPR who have just finished in 14th place in the Premier League, and Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid who are currently in 8th place with one game to go. Also, the managers at Barcelona and Galatasaray are both 64 years old, so those jobs will probably come up this summer.

I'll keep you posted.

D: Dortmund - German Bundesliga 2032/33

vCash

New Job Update

Gary Rowett and Zinedine Zidane are clinging on to their respective jobs at QPR and Real Madrid, and neither of the Barcelona or Galatasary managers have retired yet, so when Eduardo Baptista retired, the Man City job came up, which I applied for, and have accepted.

City have been nowhere near as good in this save as they have been IRL. After a couple of 2nd place finishes, they steadily declined into mid table. They flirted with relegation in 2031 and 2032 by finishing 17th both seasons, then improved last season by finishing 11th.

City are still a rich club though. They have 776M in the bank, though that's just a fraction of the 4.5B that I left Dortmund with. However, 739M of City's fortune is available to me for transfers, and the annual wage bill is currently 105M compared to the 200M transfer fund that was available at Dortmund, and the 78M wage bill.

Arsenal and Tottenham have been the top 2 for the last four seasons, so I'm not expecting to win the title in my first season, but hopefully in my second or third.

I'll update with transfer news before the start of the season.

vCash

Transfer Update

The season is about to kick off, and I've offloaded 9 players so far, bringing in around 41M, and I've added to the two players that were signed a couple of weeks before I joined by signing 13 players at a cost of 55M.

7 of the 13 were signed from my previous two clubs, Dortmund and FC Twente, so I've gone with familiarity. The 13 are 2 keepers, 6 centre backs, 2 DMCs, an AMC, a winger, and a striker. I'm hoping to bring at least four more players in before the transfer window closes.

I'm expecting to finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th place. Anything lower than 6th will be disappointing. I think it will be hard to break into the top 2. Signing all those centre backs shows that I intend to continue using the 352 formations that have served me well in this save.

I'll next update at the end of the winter transfer window, unless anything significant happens before then.

vCash

Update

So the league table looks like this.

A slender lead at the top of the table. I spent a further 127M on 4 players at the end of the summer transfer window, which has helped us to become title contenders, but the board annoyed me by vetoing a deal for this player.

He would have cost 62M, which is a lot of money, but I think that City could have had many good seasons out of him, and potentially sold him at a profit. To be fair, I'd spent 182M in that window, though I had recouped 48M, and City could easily afford him.

Then this happened.

I then tried to offer my captain a new contract, but the club wanted him to take a pay cut, so I requested that the wage bill be increased. My request was declined, so after I issued no fewer than three ultimatums, this happened.

So I applied for the vacant QPR job.

I'll be honest. If the QPR job hadn't come up, I'd have carried on at City and looked to improve the squad further, and I daresay that City will have pulled away from Arsenal and won the league, so for the third time in this save, I've passed up the chance to add another letter (I previously left Lamia to go to Xanthi, and was headhunted by Dortmund whilst at Twente), but Q is one of the most difficult letters to get, and I said at the beginning of the save that I want to get the tricky letters out of the way early doors.

As you can see, QPR are currently in 14th place, 10 points clear of the relegation positions, and with a good chance of finishing in the top half of the table. The club have 449M in the bank, and 413M of that is available to me for transfers, so this seems like a good time to take this job, as the club is established in the Premier League, and financially rich. The way I see it, I have two transfer windows to build a title winning side, plus a third window to add any finishing touches needed, so hopefully QPR will be champions in 2035.

I'll give a brief update at the end of this transfer window.

vCash
    Definitely the right move going to QPR, very difficult letter and in a good position to be able to win soon-ish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
    Definitely the right move going to QPR, very difficult letter and in a good position to be able to win soon-ish.
    Yeah, there should be other opportunities to get M later in the save. When I was at Estudiantes, Quilmes came up, but it would have meant dropping down a division, plus Estudiantes had a good lead at the top of the table, so I stuck with them. Regretted it though, as like you say, Q is a difficult letter.

vCash

Update

My first game in charge as QPR manager was a trip to Tottenham. A tough test, as the North London giants have finished as runners up 6 times in the past 7 seasons. Making what I felt was the best use of the players that I had available, we lined up with the flat 442 formation. We took a 1-0 lead, but ended up losing 1-3.

Six days later, my first home game in charge was against Shrewsbury, who incredibly are holding their own in the Premier League. I switched to the flat 352 formation that has worked well for me, and we spanked them 4-0.

Transfer news

I spent around 62M on these 14 players. This includes 1 goalie, 3 centre backs, 2 right wingers, 3 left wingers, 1 attacking midfielder, and 4 strikers. 7 of these players have played under me previously. I've offloaded 13 players, bringing in 6.25M. This has mostly involved releasing young players from their contracts early, as I had 47 players in the squad initially.

Although the squad has greatly improved enough for me to feel that we can comfortably finish in the top half of the table, I will need to do more wheeling and dealing in the summer to turn us into title contenders next season.

vCash

End of Season Update

As you can see, my previous club Man. City coped well with losing me by appointing Gary Rowett (who I replaced at QPR), who after a sticky start, led them to their first title in this save.

After QPR's 1-3 defeat at Tottenham in my first game in charge, we then won 9 and drew 1 of our next 10 games, which included 8 clean sheets, using the flat 352 formation. This suggested that we would definitely be title contenders next season, though 2 wins, 1 draw, and 2 defeats in our final 5 games suggests there is still work to do.

Overall we played 16, won 11, drew 2, and lost 3, so picked up 35 points. Over a 38 game season, this equates to 83 points which is 1 more than what Man. City got this season.

At the time of writing, I have six players arriving (subject to work permits) this summer. This will hopefully improve us enough to win the title next season. There should be plenty of incoming and outgoing transfer business this summer, and hopefully our 7th place finish will mean that we'll be in the Europa League next season.

My next update will be at the end of the summer transfer window.

vCash

Early Season Update

Transfers

I've offloaded 15 players, bringing in around 65M, and signed the 13 players below at a cost of 181M. This includes 1 keeper, 4 centre backs, 4 central midfielders, 1 attacking midfielder. 1 left winger, and 2 strikers. 8 of the 13 have played under me previously, and 6 of them have come directly from my previous club Man. City. I'll go into a little detail about my last 2 signings.

I first signed Loris Bruno for Man. City from little Italian club Monopoli for just 300k. I initially signed him as cover/competition, but he got into the side early on, and didn't look back. He provided a goal or assist in roughly every 1 and a half games, and had the best tackles per game ratio in the league for a midfielder by the time City sacked me. A little more than a year later, I've smashed QPR's transfer record by paying City 51M for his services.

Less than four weeks later, I smashed the record again, by shelling out 70M to Barnsley for Evan Brennan. I'm hoping that his creativity will mean plenty of assists.

Early season form

In Europa League Qualifying we overcame Basaksehir, Frankfurt, and Clermont, to set up a 2nd round clash with the Macedonians, Vardar.

We've not had a very good start in the league, with a 0-0 draw at Aston Villa, and a 0-1 defeat at Tottenham, but I'm hopeful that the signings that I've made will get us on course to challenge for the title.

My next update will be at the end of the January transfer window.

vCash

Mid Season Update

Latest League Table

As you can see, we're challenging for the title with 14 games to go. This hasn't always been the case though. After 15 games, we had only managed to score 16 goals, giving us the worst goal scoring record in the division. We were just outside the top 6, around 10 points behind Arsenal, and looking nothing like title contenders.

I addressed this by abandoning the flat 352 formation, and switched to the attacking 352. This has worked well, we've scored 22 in the last 9 games, and closed the gap on Arsenal to just 1 point. Hopefully we can sustain this form.

Domestic Cups

Shrewsbury put us out in the 3rd round of the League Cup, and we will play Derby in a 4th round replay in the FA Cup.

Europa League

We've overcome Vardar, Apollon Smyrnis, and Osmanlispor to reach the last 16 of this competition where we will meet Silkeborg.

Transfer News.

There's been 4 departures in this winter window, bringing in around 90M, and 1 arrival, which is a promising young centre back from my previous club Man. City.

My next update will be at the end of the season.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You're doing more than okay now, but what happened to Manchester City after you left them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrkh View Post
    You're doing more than okay now, but what happened to Manchester City after you left them?
    I was replaced at Man. City by Gary Rowett, who had been sacked by QPR. City went on to win the title, but he didn't fancy a lot of the players who did well for me, so I've managed to buy a lot of them, and they've slipped away quite a bit this season.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

End of Season Update

FA Cup

After getting past Derby in the 4th round replay, we beat Accrington in the 5th round before being knocked out by West Brom in the quarter final. West Brom went on to get beaten in the final by my previous club Man.City.

Europa League

We got past Silkeborg, then Charleroi to reach the semi finals, where we were beaten by eventual winners Swansea.

League

Here is the final league table.

We managed to sustain the good form we had shown since switching to the 352 Attacking formation, and with the form of all the teams around us crumbling in the final third of the season, we clinched a first ever Premier League title for QPR with 3 games to spare. Our defence remained the strongest in the division, and we went from having one of the lowest goal scoring records earlier in the season to the second best.

Key Players

In no particular order, these three players were our most important this season.

Davor Alispahic was already at the club when I arrived. He was first choice keeper, and club captain. This continued until the start of this season, when one of my new signings took over between the sticks. However, Alispahic returned to the side when my new signing got injured, and showed impressive consistency to keep his place, and lead us to the title as captain, whilst having the second highest average rating for a keeper.

Mamadou Fofana was an important player for me at both Dortmund and Man. City, so I had no qualms about paying 6.25M to bring him to QPR. He was vice captain, and was up amongst the best defenders for his tackles-per-game ratio.

Felice Lazzari was a fringe player for me at City, and cost me just 2.3M. He also was amongst the best for his tackles-per-game ratio.

The Future

My decision to engineer my sacking from Man. City has been vindicated by this success. Q is my eleventh letter, and is one of the trickiest to achieve, as QPR are obviously not considered to be one of the glamorous clubs in English football. I spent around 243M over the three transfer windows that I was in charge, and recouped around 171M, so my net spend was about 72M.

I decided to engineer my departure from QPR. I issued two ultimatums before the club agreed to increase the stadium capacity, another ultimatum meant that they increased the wage bill, but an ultimatum to increase the transfer budget was too much for the club to bear, so I was on my way.

I can't see finding another job being a problem with this World Rep.

I was right to think this when this job came up.

Milan are obviously a massive glamorous club, and have won the last two Scudettos under Andre Villas-Boas, who left to become manager of La Liga side Eibar. La Liga is the highest ranked league, and Serie A is 5th, which goes some way to explaining this surprise move. The EPL incidentally is 3rd. Hopefully I'll just need to make a few tweaks to the squad, and I'm looking forward to an early chance to have another crack at the letter M.

My next update will be at the end of the August transfer window,

Q: QPR - English Premier League 2034/35

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

Early Season Update

Approach to the Milan job

As you can see below, Milan have been Serie A champions for the past two seasons.

Both of these titles were won with Andre Villas-Boas in charge. With this in mind, I've decided not to change things too much in terms of overhauling the squad to suit the 352 formations that I've mostly been using throughout this save.

Instead I've looked at the formations that AVB used - a variation of the 451 Norway that has various diagonal arrows coming infield, and the 4213 that looks similar to the original default 433 formation with the ball.

As I'm only using default tactics, I've looked at the squad that I've inherited, and have decided that to begin with, I will use the 433 formation, and see how things go.

I originally planned to just make a few tweaks to the squad, but I want to give myself the best chance of Milan retaining the title, so have signed these 9 players at a cost of around 295M

This includes 1 keeper, 1 left back, 3 centre backs, 2 central midfielders, an attacking midfielder, and a striker. 5 of these players have played under me previously. As you can see I've splashed out big money on Abdoulaye Mbengue, who I first signed for Dortmund on a free transfer.

We've had a good start, coming from behind to beat last season's Serie A runners up, and Coppa Italia winners Juventus 2-1 in the Supercoppa, and in our only league game so far, we came away from Udinese with a 2-0 win with Mbengue scoring both goals.

My next update will be at the end of the January transfer window.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

After so long simming the game waiting for a team to accept my job application I took over JS Hercules in the Second Division of Finland, Relatively good squad for the league and with some tweaks to the starting 11 made it quite comfortably from 3rd to 1st in the 7 games I've been in charge.

Will now look to build a good enough side to compete in the Finnish first division next year. What I quite like about this league it it is very small and short. Can attract good enough players from other leagues.

Obviously the second division is not the first league in Finland so it doesn't count, but I think this is the best way to get a top league club champions, Will see where we are in 30 games time.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisuren For This Useful Post:

vCash

Mid Season Update

Coppa Italia & Champions League

After knocking out Carpi and Napoli, we face Juventus in a two legged Coppa Italia semi final.

In europe we won our first phase group which contained Fenerbahce, Ufa, and Partizan Belgrade. We're currently 2nd in a group that contains Fortuna Dusseldorf, Tottenham, and one of my previous clubs Zenit St. Petersburg.

League

As you can see it's going brilliantly. 21 wins out of 22, top scorers, and best defence. We've won each of our last 14 league games. Even if our form dips to something like just under 2 points on average per game, Juventus and/or Napoli would have to go on an incredible run, which I just can't see happening.

We started the season playing several games using the 433 formation as planned. Injuries forced me to switch to the flat 352, which worked well for several games, then more injuries and suspension meant that I went with the game's 4132 which has also worked really well.

Transfer News

I've added 4 more players in this window to improve the depth of the squad so that hopefully we can also have a good chance in the Champions League. A right back, a centre back who I first signed for FC Twente, and a couple of AMLRCs.

My next update will be at the end of the season