Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The Alphabet Game #4 - October 2017 Data Update

vCash

End of Season Update

Final League Table

A disappointing 3rd place all things considered. The 0-0 draw with leaders HSV on matchday 16 (my third game in charge) was the start of a 12 match unbeaten run, which included 7 consecutive wins. This meant that with 7 games to go, we were just 2 points behind HSV. I felt confident that we could overtake them in that time, but we then lost our next two games, meaning that HSV were 6 points clear. Both ourselves and HSV won our next three, so we went into the penultimate game needing to beat HSV at their place to take it to the final day. The 1-1 draw we got was decent, but not enough to stop HSV claiming their 3rd title in 4 seasons. The 0-2 defeat we suffered at Leverkusen on the final day, meant that we had to settle for 3rd place.

Europa League

Wins over Eupen, Palermo, and Krylja Sovetov meant that we progressed to the semi-final. We were drawn against AC Milan, and lost the first leg 1-3 in Italy. However, in the second leg, we smashed them 5-0 to reach the final. We played Turkish side Goztepe in the final in Copenhagen, and beat them comfortably 2-0.

This was Dortmund's second success in this competition.

Dortmund have done well in Europe in this save.

This win was good for my reputation too, and I was briefly in this position.

Next Season

They'll be plenty of arrivals and departures this summer, to give us the best chance of challenging for the title next season. HSV will be tough to overcome, and with their strong defence, lost just two league games this season. They were knocked out of the Champions League in the semi finals by my old club Kayserispor last season, and reached the final the previous season.

Inexplicably, after our 5-0 win over AC Milan in the Europa League Semi Final, several members of the squad stated that they had 'lost confidence in their manager's ability'. Now we've reached the end of the season, they no longer feel this way, but I'm not having it. They're all going on the transfer list. Four of them were players that I signed in January, and one of them is Jakub Kucharski, who was with me at Kayserispor. He's been excellent since he came into the side, but I'm not having players that could turn on me.

I'll provide a transfer update before the start of next season.

A: Akhmat Grozny - Russian Premier League 2027
    C: Club Brugge - First Division A 2026/27
    E: Estudiantes - Argentina Superliga (Closing Stage) 2029/30
    K: Kayserispor - Turkish Super Lig 2030/31
    O: Oostende - First Division A 2025/26
    P: PAOK - Greek Superleague 2023/24
    S: Skive - Danish Superliga 2018/19
    X: Xanthi - Greek Superleague 2021/22
    Z: Zenit St. Petersburg - Russian Premier League 2029

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

Transfer Update

We're about to kick off the start of the new season with a Champions League Qualifier 1st Leg at Ludogorets. I've been busy again in the transfer market, offloading 18 players, (including 4 of the traitors that I mentioned in my previous post) bringing in around 188M. I've spent around 129M on these 13 players.

Carlos Palacios was with me at Club Brugge and Akhmat Grozny, and will hopefully provide plenty of assists from the left hand side with his high crossing and dribbling attributes.

This is the fifth time I've signed Giacomo Perego, (Oostende, Club Brugge, Kayserispor, Twente) and the third time I've signed him in the last two years! A tackling machine with that Positioning attribute.

Marcio Moreira dos Santos has been a regular in the Goztepe side that has been so successful in this save. He is Brazil's first choice keeper. Hopefully he'll be an upgrade, and do well for us. There wasn't another keeper available that had similar attributes for Handling, Agility, and Reflexes.

I'm hopeful that we can knock HSV off their perch this season.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

Mid Season Update

Transfers

I've added just two players in the winter transfer window. Callum Hudson-Odoi did well for me at Kayserispor. He eventually fell out of favour there, so I snapped him up for 5.75M. Seems like a bargain considering his high Jumping, Off The Ball, and Finishing attributes. Joaquin Matosas did well for me at FC Twente. When Utrecht activated his 2M buy out clause, I decided to get involved, and that fee is a bargain considering his age and Positioning attribute.

DFB-Pokal (German Cup)

We're into the semis after easing past Rostock, Dusseldorf, Monchengladbach, and Hannover 96.

European Super Cup

A solid 1-0 win over Barcelona confirms my belief that we can have a successful season both at home and in europe.

It's also done my rep no harm either.

Champions League

We eased past the Bulgarian side Ludogorets in the qualifying round, and were drawn in a group with Barcelona, Galatasary, and Rangers. Galatasary and Rangers were both beaten home and away, and we drew both games with Barcelona to win the group. We're currently top of our second phase group which contains Atletico Madrid, Fenerbahce, and my previous employer, Club Brugge.

World Club Cup

We won our group with wins over Tigres (Mexico), Copa Libertadores Champions, Santa Cruz (Brazil), and a draw with Moghreb Tetou (Morroco). We then played Moghreb Tetou in the semis, and beat them 2-0 to reach the final against the Brazilians, Joinville, who reached the final of the Copa Libertadores, and got to this final by putting Barcelona out on penalties.

This comfortable win means that Dortmund are World Champions for the first time in their history.

League

This is how the title race is looking just over halfway through the season.

As you can see it's going brilliantly. We're top scorers, and have been ruthlessly solid defensively. A ten point lead over champions HSV at this stage is excellent. We go to HSV in our next game in what is a championship six pointer. A win for us gives us a thirteen point lead, and HSV a mountain to climb. A defeat for us closes the gap to just seven points with fourteen games left to play. I'll be happy with a draw.

This win over 3rd placed Bayern (who had won their previous six league games) shows how dominant we've been.

My Man of the Match made an incredible 18 dribbles!

Even though his dribbling attribute is nothing special

My next update will be at the end of the season. We've played 39 games in all competitions so far, and have yet to be beaten, and we didn't concede a single goal in the first 15 of those games.

Last edited by Libertine; 16-10-19 at 10:46 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

End of Season Update

League

Our next game after my last update was away to HSV. We won the game comfortably 3-0 with 9 shots to their 1, and went thirteen points clear. Below is the final league table showing Dortmund as champions, which is their first title in 9 seasons.

We wasn't as formidable in the final third of the season, and lost our first game in all competitions 1-2 at Frankfurt on Matchday 24. However, we finished 17 points clear of HSV, are joint top scorers, have the best defence, and broke the points record for Bundesliga champions in this save. (Not IRL though)

I'm delighted to pick up my 10th letter, by using the flat 352 formation at home, and the 352 Attacking formation away from home. This is my first title in this save with a club from one of europe's top five leagues. (The Bundesliga is in fact the highest ranked league). I've been able to fulfil a personal challenge of mine which was to win a top title playing a formation that contains wingers, a strike duo, three at the back, and no-one in the DMC role.

It was very much a squad effort this season, but I've picked out two players who have made the biggest impact.

Moreira dos Santos may have cost 24M but he was worth every penny. He was the best keeper in the division, made important saves, and helped make a great defence into an even greater defence. As you can see, he conceded just 5 goals in his 27 games, which means that between them, the other keepers at the club conceded twice as many goals in just seven games.

Phil Mkhize proved to be a surprise star of the squad. He cost just 100K from Santos (RSA), and was the complete midfielder, scoring high on Average Rating, Man of the Match, Goals, Assists, and Average Tackles per Game.

DFB Pokal

We beat Leverkusen in the semi final, but Frankfurt proved to be a bogey team for us, and we were prevented from winning the double when we were defeated 0-1 in the final.

Champions League

We won our second phase group with a game to spare, then eased past Man. Utd in the quarter finals 6-2 on aggregate. We then came up against Barcelona again. The spanish giants had won the last six La Liga titles, and the last three European Cups. Earlier this season we beat them in the European Super Cup, and drew both of our first phase group stage games against them in this tournament. We got a good 1-1 draw at the Nou Camp, but were defeated 0-1 at home, enabling Barcelona to reach their fourth successive final which they won by beating HSV on penalties.

The Future

There are a couple of jobs that I'm interested in where the manager is very insecure. Gary Rowett at QPR who have just finished in 14th place in the Premier League, and Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid who are currently in 8th place with one game to go. Also, the managers at Barcelona and Galatasaray are both 64 years old, so those jobs will probably come up this summer.

I'll keep you posted.

D: Dortmund - German Bundesliga 2032/33

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

New Job Update

Gary Rowett and Zinedine Zidane are clinging on to their respective jobs at QPR and Real Madrid, and neither of the Barcelona or Galatasary managers have retired yet, so when Eduardo Baptista retired, the Man City job came up, which I applied for, and have accepted.

City have been nowhere near as good in this save as they have been IRL. After a couple of 2nd place finishes, they steadily declined into mid table. They flirted with relegation in 2031 and 2032 by finishing 17th both seasons, then improved last season by finishing 11th.

City are still a rich club though. They have 776M in the bank, though that's just a fraction of the 4.5B that I left Dortmund with. However, 739M of City's fortune is available to me for transfers, and the annual wage bill is currently 105M compared to the 200M transfer fund that was available at Dortmund, and the 78M wage bill.

Arsenal and Tottenham have been the top 2 for the last four seasons, so I'm not expecting to win the title in my first season, but hopefully in my second or third.

I'll update with transfer news before the start of the season.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

Transfer Update

The season is about to kick off, and I've offloaded 9 players so far, bringing in around 41M, and I've added to the two players that were signed a couple of weeks before I joined by signing 13 players at a cost of 55M.

7 of the 13 were signed from my previous two clubs, Dortmund and FC Twente, so I've gone with familiarity. The 13 are 2 keepers, 6 centre backs, 2 DMCs, an AMC, a winger, and a striker. I'm hoping to bring at least four more players in before the transfer window closes.

I'm expecting to finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th place. Anything lower than 6th will be disappointing. I think it will be hard to break into the top 2. Signing all those centre backs shows that I intend to continue using the 352 formations that have served me well in this save.

I'll next update at the end of the winter transfer window, unless anything significant happens before then.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314