Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 210

Thread: World Cup 2018 - Discussion

  1. #51
    Join Date
    21-06-14
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    651
    vCash
    500
    So here's this result today and I was thinking through the whole second half, and they want to *increase* the number of qualifiers? So we can see even crappier teams than Saudi lose by even bigger margins? Ridiculous...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Join Date
    31-03-13
    Location
    Happyland
    Posts
    1,133
    vCash
    13333
    A joke of a game. I knew that Saudi arabia was crap but not that they were this much of a tin pot job. Russia looked bad too, but since they got an extremely easy group they will likely advance anyway.

    Fucking joke this. Tomorrow the WC starts!

  4. #53
    Join Date
    17-03-12
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapinoe View Post
    So here's this result today and I was thinking through the whole second half, and they want to *increase* the number of qualifiers? So we can see even crappier teams than Saudi lose by even bigger margins? Ridiculous...
    Many teams better than Saudi Arabia did not qualify so I guess it's all about how they do it. Increasing the number of sides doesn't have to be a bad thing and isn't some of the World Cup fun goals with plenty of games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    A joke of a game. I knew that Saudi arabia was crap but not that they were this much of a tin pot job. Russia looked bad too, but since they got an extremely easy group they will likely advance anyway.

    Fucking joke this. Tomorrow the WC starts!
    Russia really weren't as bad as you are making out but they weren't tested in any way by Saudi Arabia.

    In general I think its worth pointing out that Saudi's entire squad will have been fasting for a solid two weeks going into this game and possibly were even on a fast going into the game. They had fasted the day of their first final qualifier last year, too.

  5. #54
    Join Date
    07-07-12
    Posts
    4,921
    vCash
    581
    Has Saudia-Arabia still the rule player can't play for foreign teams? Good way to kill your own chances (Do remember there was a test with players going to Spain didn't they??)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMCZ For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    Join Date
    15-12-11
    Location
    Your Mother
    Posts
    29,438
    vCash
    648000
    One game on the opening day is like a one letting you have a few raw pumps and then telling you to put on a johnny

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:


  9. #56
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    4,325
    vCash
    62950
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFlo View Post
    In general I think its worth pointing out that Saudi's entire squad will have been fasting for a solid two weeks going into this game and possibly were even on a fast going into the game. They had fasted the day of their first final qualifier last year, too.
    Cat among the pigeons, not sure how true this is:
    http://www.arabnews.com/node/1319286/sport
    The majority of the Saudi Arabia team and staff have delayed their fast until after the tournament. No more than seven of the 20 Muslim staff are fasting, while four players, including vice-captain Tayser Al-Jassem and striker Mohammed Al-Sahlawi, have abstained from food and liquids on all but match days and the day directly before. Since Friday night’s 2-1 defeat to world champions Germany, however, even the quartet have elected to delay in order to be in peak condition for Thursday’s curtain-raiser.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Erkifino For This Useful Post:


  11. #57
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    20,276
    vCash
    2891

    World Cup 2018 - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapinoe View Post
    So here's this result today and I was thinking through the whole second half, and they want to *increase* the number of qualifiers? So we can see even crappier teams than Saudi lose by even bigger margins? Ridiculous...
    Pretty sure our ‘crappy’ Wales team did ok in the Euro’s by getting an extra spot for qualification . . . .

    Hell - if we didn’t play so defensive and shit scared v an average Portugal we would have got the final!

    There should prob be more thought about how those extra spots get determined though

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:


  13. #58
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    4,325
    vCash
    62950
    Extra spots will be to make sure Netherlands, Italy et all are always there.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Erkifino For This Useful Post:


  15. #59
    Join Date
    17-05-12
    Posts
    3,419
    vCash
    15217
    A headline saying "Impressive Russia" by the BBC is absolute nonsense. Impressive my arse. It was a very dull game considering the scoreline.

  16. #60
    Join Date
    17-03-12
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    Cat among the pigeons, not sure how true this is:
    http://www.arabnews.com/node/1319286/sport
    The majority of the Saudi Arabia team and staff have delayed their fast until after the tournament. No more than seven of the 20 Muslim staff are fasting, while four players, including vice-captain Tayser Al-Jassem and striker Mohammed Al-Sahlawi, have abstained from food and liquids on all but match days and the day directly before. Since Friday night’s 2-1 defeat to world champions Germany, however, even the quartet have elected to delay in order to be in peak condition for Thursday’s curtain-raiser.
    Thanks for linking I discuss it in my blog (https://champman0102.co.uk/showthrea...274#post392274). To summarise, breaking fast just on the day of a game and/or the day before doesn’t give enough time for recovery and today being the last day of Ramadan, I find it highly unlikely they haven’t been fasting for the past month. These are elite athletes too, so arguably more damaging. In balance to the Arab News article, the Saudi FA told the press and others a similar story last year about players not fasting on match days and their then-Manager has since said it was all talk and that his players were fasting and their was no imam on hand giving special dispensation and substitutory prayers to excuse them, which is one such custom.

  17. #61
    Join Date
    31-03-13
    Location
    Happyland
    Posts
    1,133
    vCash
    13333
    More spots will mean more shit teams in the WC. Hence will devalue performances in the WC, as we will se many more goals (would not be surprised for example if Salah and Suarez/Cavani scores 4-5 goals against Saudi arabia). Compare with times when there was 16 or 24 teams in the WC, it was harder to perform such records as there were less tin pot teams in it.

    Don't you remember how many boring games there were in last Euros?

    I think Panama will at least try, which Saudi did not, but can still already see English papers bragging on about some new RECORD as England smash them. Hard to break records when you face teams that wouldn't even take 1 point in League 2...

  18. #62
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    4,325
    vCash
    62950
    Ah bollix, it's the WORLD cup. Less of this exclusive, only the best nonsense. Fair enough ye don't want to see these teams but think of the Italian and Dutch fans who would love to have their team to follow.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erkifino For This Useful Post:


  20. #63
    Join Date
    31-03-13
    Location
    Happyland
    Posts
    1,133
    vCash
    13333
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    Ah bollix, it's the WORLD cup. Less of this exclusive, only the best nonsense. Fair enough ye don't want to see these teams but think of the Italian and Dutch fans who would love to have their team to follow.
    You want me to feel sorry that a team that conjured up like one scoring opportunity in 180 minutes against Sweden are not in the WC? Not everyone can be in it, tough luck. Move on and focus on the next qualifiers. What about New Zeeland, Nicaragua, Tchad and Andorra, pretty sure they would like to be in the World cup too, eh?

  21. #64
    Join Date
    17-03-12
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    Ah bollix, it's the WORLD cup. Less of this exclusive, only the best nonsense. Fair enough ye don't want to see these teams but think of the Italian and Dutch fans who would love to have their team to follow.
    Seconded.

  22. #65
    Join Date
    07-07-12
    Posts
    4,921
    vCash
    581
    Most Dutch fans are realistic and understand we have no chance of winning the cup. Anything else as winning is not satisfying for the average Dutch fan. So its ok we are not at the tournament.

    Quality above quantity but also a little room for teams who can surpise.

  23. #66
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    4,325
    vCash
    62950
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    You want me to feel sorry that a team that conjured up like one scoring opportunity in 180 minutes against Sweden are not in the WC? Not everyone can be in it, tough luck. Move on and focus on the next qualifiers. What about New Zeeland, Nicaragua, Tchad and Andorra, pretty sure they would like to be in the World cup too, eh?
    Sweden have no business in the World Cup. Who wants to watch them only Swedes? Peru? Fuck them. African teams? Fuck them too. Australia? Fuvk them an all. Let's just have the teams with the players who command the most wages in the richest domestic leagues.

    I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for any teams, but to be honest sport, and more to the point football, unites the world. Countless people who couldn't give a hoot about Madrid, Milan, Manchester, Munich and the domestic calendar tune in to watch their nation. It's so much more than for a minorities entertainment. Greece were European champs, do you think it mattered to the Greeks how they won it?

    The dream teams of football have taken away the actual joy of football for some people. I feel sorry for them.

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erkifino For This Useful Post:


  25. #67
    Join Date
    31-03-13
    Location
    Happyland
    Posts
    1,133
    vCash
    13333
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    Sweden have no business in the World Cup. Who wants to watch them only Swedes? Peru? Fuck them. African teams? Fuck them too. Australia? Fuvk them an all. Let's just have the teams with the players who command the most wages in the richest domestic leagues.

    I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for any teams, but to be honest sport, and more to the point football, unites the world. Countless people who couldn't give a hoot about Madrid, Milan, Manchester, Munich and the domestic calendar tune in to watch their nation. It's so much more than for a minorities entertainment. Greece were European champs, do you think it mattered to the Greeks how they won it?

    The dream teams of football have taken away the actual joy of football for some people. I feel sorry for them.
    Nah, and Sweden usually aren't in it either. Missed out on the WC in 1998, 2010 and 2014. Even a blind rooster, though...

    Of course there should be a spread with nations from different parts of the world. That doesn't mean that every possible tin pot country should get the chance to be in the WC though. Saudi arabia today was an embarrassment. Do you also want to expand Champions league to 200 teams so more european teams can compete? I bet the likes of Sunderland, Sundsvall and Esbjerg would love to play in CL!

    32 teams is fine by me, more will make it a snooze fest until the semi finals.

  26. #68
    Join Date
    17-03-12
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    Sweden have no business in the World Cup. Who wants to watch them only Swedes? Peru? Fuck them. African teams? Fuck them too. Australia? Fuvk them an all. Let's just have the teams with the players who command the most wages in the richest domestic leagues.

    I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for any teams, but to be honest sport, and more to the point football, unites the world. Countless people who couldn't give a hoot about Madrid, Milan, Manchester, Munich and the domestic calendar tune in to watch their nation. It's so much more than for a minorities entertainment. Greece were European champs, do you think it mattered to the Greeks how they won it?

    The dream teams of football have taken away the actual joy of football for some people. I feel sorry for them.
    I'm with you 100% on all your points. For me it is a direct result of the FIFA Ultimate Team generation and the elitist nonsense that manifests off the back of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Do you also want to expand Champions league to 200 teams so more european teams can compete?
    Nah, but they can f%*k off to their European Super League if they want.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to JayFlo For This Useful Post:


  28. #69
    Join Date
    15-12-11
    Location
    Your Mother
    Posts
    29,438
    vCash
    648000
    Good points Erk


    International football is the last bastion of football not ruined by greed (FIFA are slowly trying to change that of course). Maybe the Copa Libertadores too - but that suffers from the result of European greed. The Saudi's were in the competition on merit and if you even just watched the highlights, tactically they were tragic. Ability wise they weren't as bad a 5-0 suggests. They simply tried to play a possession based game against a vastly more experience and more physical team. That's more down to coaching. International teams need to play to their strengths based on the players they have available, this is far more important than at club level. The Saudi coach didn't have them set-up that way at all. Uruguay under Tabarez are a prime example of playing to their strengths. Yes they have had amazing forwards in Suarez, Cavani and Forlan plus some excellent defenders, but they have always accepted they haven't the same depth in midfield. So Tabarez sets them up so that their weakness is mitigated for the general good of the team rather than having a notion that with their attack and defence they can overcome not being as good in midfield.

    The Saudi's looked very poorly coached, playing out from the back and keeping the ball was the plan . . . . and that was it. There seemed to have been no work done on what to do when not in possession and at international level, experience is going to punish you more than at club level. Ireland were the same at 2012 Euros. Coached to do one thing and one thing only and once that was exposed the coached never changed things. Poor coaching? Definitely hubris from the coach for sure.

    On the difference in physicality, I expect one or both from Japan and Korea to take a hammering solely from a team have can beat them in the air. I've actually put my most points on Sweden to beat Korea here. If the Germans start with Mueller upfront in the last group game I expect Korea to be in big bother from crosses and set pieces alone.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:


  30. #70
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    25,659
    vCash
    576
    I actually thought Saudi Arabia started brightly and impressed me with how well they passed the ball about in the opening 10 minutes. Trouble is, they didn't have the presence nor the ability to become a threat with the ball in the final third. As the goals were conceded, they lost their confidence and got battered by Russia but it certainly wasn't the beating that some are proclaiming it to be.

    Cheryshev the star of the show, great goals too. Any other team though, he wouldn't have the time to dink that ball over 2 defenders sliding in, then take a touch before shooting. But great goal for his 2nd. Done well considering he started on the bench.

    Gutted for Dzagoev, btw. Could be out of the tournament now if it's a bad hamstring pull?

    Roll on today's 3 games though

    Quote Originally Posted by CMCZ View Post
    Has Saudia-Arabia still the rule player can't play for foreign teams? Good way to kill your own chances (Do remember there was a test with players going to Spain didn't they??)
    I wondered this myself, actually. As even in the latest patch, you still can't buy Saudi players.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    Ah bollix, it's the WORLD cup. Less of this exclusive, only the best nonsense. Fair enough ye don't want to see these teams but think of the Italian and Dutch fans who would love to have their team to follow.
    I agree, in a way. But they had the chances to qualify and fecked it up.

  31. #71
    Join Date
    17-03-12
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    600

  32. #72
    Join Date
    31-03-13
    Location
    Happyland
    Posts
    1,133
    vCash
    13333
    JayFlo, "my team" is in the WC just so you know. I see more complaints about Italy and Netherlands messing it up for themselves here. And no one is happier than me that USA is not in WC, believe me.

    Saudi were unable to pass the ball within the team even when there was no pressure on them, stopped counting how many times they passed to the wrong player or out over the line but it was a lot. And the defending were not even sunday league level. On the last goal the keeper almost tried to save but then changed his mind and performed some kind of alibi dive instead.

  33. #73
    Join Date
    17-03-12
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    600
    You're a Madrid fan aren't you? I might be wrong. Are you a Spain fan too? If so, me too! Half English, half Spanish. Wasn't aimed solely, or personally, at you. It is boring though! I personally haven't seen any complaints from Dutch or Italian fans.

    I personally think the 2026 decision is bizarre as was the initial submission.

  34. #74
    Join Date
    31-03-13
    Location
    Happyland
    Posts
    1,133
    vCash
    13333
    Yeah I'm a Madrid fan, but have no connections to England or Spain. From Sweden, even though I realize we are not that good (sure beat Italy and ended before Netherlands in the qualifications but both of them have their worst teams in like 20+ years atm).

    I always like a dark horse to go far, like Colombia. Not sure which team I like and not as I think I will want to see them before deciding that. Sweden will most likely finish 2nd or 3rd in the group, and 2nd means facing the winner of Brazil's group in the next round, so that is as far we can go anyway.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:


  36. #75
    Join Date
    15-12-11
    Location
    Your Mother
    Posts
    29,438
    vCash
    648000
    A bit harsh calling them codgers Mark


  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:


Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •