Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nowhere Men No Longer

The Nowhere Men No Longer

Introduction: Felipe Vega's Plan

“The game’s changing – you’ve got to move with the time,” Felipe Vega sat slumped at a bar in Rio, hand half clenching what was now just a glass of ice, whilst the other one steadied his intoxicated body. His utterances were falling on fairly deaf ears – his partner in crime, Alonso, was more interested in what wasn’t covered by millimetres of fabric as a stream of young Latinas scuttled past the bar and to the dance floor.

“Listen to me, you mestizo prick!” The crudeness got his attention. “We’re scouts out here, bringing the next Neymar or Coutinho to the doors of these clubs, yet what do we get for it?!” Alonso grunted a half-arsed acknowledgement. “I’ve got a host of names to my repertoire – enough to start my own team – but nobody knows my name.”

Alonso was at this point verging on optic emigration, the way he had his eyes so firmly planted on the other side of the room. Increasingly frustrated at the lack of response, Felipe signalled to the barman for the bill and paid his share, leaving his mate to stare his way into the sex offenders register.

Felipe was keen for change. Into his late 30s and still with a mortgage is not how he saw himself at this age when he entered the world of football over a decade ago. A failed left-back whose moment in the sun came in the most regional of the myriad of Brazilian leagues there are - and even then it was most akin to the sun in a Norwegian winter – he’d not quite fallen out of the game but tripped and caught himself in the world of scouting on the way out.

It was miserable hours, away from family, endless driving and often fruitless. Even when an arduous trip was made worthwhile by a brilliant performance from a previously unknown kid, the buzz was short-lived. Felipe was an ad-hoc scout; he’d take his findings to a club, pitch his discovery and hope he was remunerated for his efforts. He was competing in a world where ‘black boxes,’ Opta, number-crunchers, Moneyball mechanics, Squawka, and even Football Manager, were largely running the business in which he was trying to scrape a living.

The cunningness symptomatic with the City of God was going to have to materialise if Felipe was going to be something more than one of the Nowhere Men, like those in Michael Calvin’s book. The synopsis of that book described Felipe’s daily missions perfectly; he was one of ‘football's hidden tribe; everywhere yet nowhere, faceless and nameless, despite making the informed decisions worth millions.’

He had an idea. Watching the way money was bastardising the game he loved was painful, but football was all he’d ever known and watching it expand rapidly whilst leaving him behind hurt. He took a pen from his desk, cleared his whiteboard of his incoherent scribbles and started making a list. He split the board into 4 columns: players he’d scouted who went on to win international caps; players who had gone on to play in Europe’s ‘big five’; players who were playing in Europe but outside the ‘big five;’ and players playing in Brazil’s top divisions. He took a step back and soaked it all in. There were close to 40 names and at least ten of them would’ve been familiar to any football fan anywhere. Felipe wasn’t even sure his neighbour knew his.

He flicked his laptop open, turned his whiteboard wonder wall into a computerised spreadsheet and started raiding the internet for the thing that mattered – the money attached to the players: how much his first move cost, how much each one had amassed in total transfer fees, estimated wage, current value…….only so much was in the public domain, but he collated all he could.

Based on first moves alone, he valued his findings at 160m. For the first time in his life, Felipe wrote out a CV and instead of qualifications he put the names of the players he’d unearthed; instead of his different occupations he inserted the amounts those same findings had been sold for; and instead of a cover letter, he wrote out a business plan.

He didn’t leave the house that day, or the one after – in fact he didn’t step outside for close to a week. Not until he felt what he wanted and what he could offer was so succinctly put, with such assurance, did he walk out into the Latin sun.

‘Talent Acquisition & Management Services (TAMS),’ sat atop the document – an intentionally vague title. The plan was largely simple: based on his track record, Felipe hoped to secure funding from football-minded investors to purchase some young players from their clubs, where they would stay and play their football but in the ownership of TASM. Felipe also wanted to take on the scouts responsible for finding them as the players’ agents and slowly chip away at the rotten state of football agency and replace it with a network of appropriately rewarded scouts.

Cashing in on some favours he had amassed at various football clubs over the years, it only took a matter of months for Felipe to secure the funding he needed to get started. Now he needed to implement the next stage of his business plan – recruiting players – and for that he needed to find scouts who had recently found talent in the game.

Rules, points system and leaderboard for 2019/20

Most Updated Contract Buys
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited by JayFlo; 14-06-18 at 10:59 PM.

WANTED: SCOUTS

Felipe Vega's plan was now off the ground. The funding had been secured and he had a clear vision of what he wanted to achieve. For him, there was no place in the modern game for the agents who currently existed. He was going to change the landscape and for the better.

He put together an advert to post on several professional football sites and waited to hear back:

WANTED:
    TALENT SCOUT WITH PROVEN TRACK RECORD

Do you think you have what it takes to spot the next Pique? Xavi? Messi?
    We are looking for footballers aged 18 or under already signed to a professional club. If you feel you can pick out a future Balon d'Or winner amongst the rest, get in touch

The player you put forward must be playing in either the:

*The second tier or below of English football
    *The second tier or below of Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch or French football
    *The top tier of any other division worldwide

To join our team and compete to be the ultimate football scout, please find a player meeting the above criteria. He must be aged 18 or under and playing in one of the aforementioned leagues. All players must be from the October 2017 Database.

As a hybrid Scout-Agent, you will earn money based on the performances of your chosen player. You'll get money for each goal he scores, assist he makes, tackles he wins and more.

You'll help him through his career by: helping him climb the football pyramid, tailor his training sessions, influence the manager to play a formation best suited to your player and more. See below for a full table of what you'll earn and what you can do for your player.

• In addition, Transfer Fee will be divided by 10000 (Eg: 10m = 1000) to calculate a scout's cut and the number of appearances come the end of the month will earn 100 per appearance and 25 for substitution appearances, plus a win bonus of 50. Goalkeepers will earn 20 per save.

• There will be a Scouts Leaderboard to keep progress and running total of money made – Monthly Awards for Best Performing Scout

• Progress will be made a month at a time (unless transfer bids are made for a Scout’s Player, which will be communicated via Private Message)

• The aim is for two Progress Reports per week (dependent on Scouts’ responsiveness, if there is no response within 3 days the next Progress Report will commence).

• A Scout’s player is automatically dropped for 1 game for a rating of 5, 2 games for a rating of 4, 3 for a rating of 3, 4 for a rating of 2 and 5 for a rating of 1

To become a scout and take part in this game, choose a player who qualifies under the criteria and post a screenshot of his profile below.

Submissions close Thursday 1200 BST
    Last edited by JayFlo; 01-02-18 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayFlo View Post
    All players must be from the October 2017 Database.

can people pick the same player or is "he" mine ssshh

Quote Originally Posted by evesham View Post
    can people pick the same player or is "he" mine ssshh
    He is yours. Each Scout must act on the behalf of a single and different player.
    Last edited by JayFlo; 28-01-18 at 06:15 PM.

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

I'll start you off.

My client is a young, energetic, driven individual who has a bright future ahead of him. With me in his corner, I'm convinced he will go far!

Spoiler!

I'm in the mix for this - something different

My client has already attracted the interest of many top clubs and is destined for the top

Ladies and gents, I give you................

Spoiler!

My client is a very young, talented and exciting prospect. I think you'll find that he will suit this club perfectly!

Spoiler!
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

Flamengo super talent...

Vinicius Junior

Non EU ok?

Quote Originally Posted by London35 View Post
    Flamengo super talent...

Vinicius Junior

Non EU ok?
    Sure

Good to see people getting involved quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by London35 View Post
    Flamengo super talent...

Vinicius Junior

Non EU ok?
    Haven't Real Madrid signed him (but loaned him back)?

They’ve (pre)signed him. He signs in the summer and then loaned back again for another season. Would be good if you chose another, but up to London35

A very interesting idea. I'd love to get involved, but pretty much all talented dudes I can think of right now are in non-playable clubs... I'll have to come up with someone and get back here later.

I think I have found my man.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by JayFlo View Post
    They’ve (pre)signed him. He signs in the summer and then loaned back again for another season. Would be good if you chose another, but up to London35
    ill choose again..

Diogo Dalot!

Portugese RB/Mid

Interestingly I looked at Ben Brereton and Ryan Sessegnon, only thing that put me off was they are English.
    I PM'd mine to Jay but I'll post him here also, he's a young Argentinian who plays as an Attacking Midfielder, either Left or Central, Ezequiel Barco.
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by evesham; 30-04-18 at 07:53 PM.

Can I take Ruben Neves please?

EDIT: I don't have the new update yet and am at a work PC will try and post a screenshot when I can.
    Last edited by generalsmuts; 29-01-18 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by generalsmuts View Post
    Can I take Ruben Neves please?

EDIT: I don't have the new update yet and am at a work PC will try and post a screenshot when I can.
    If you mean the player on loan at Wolves from Porto, he is too old. Max starting age is 18 pick another - will be great to have you involved!

Updated Original Post to include the points scoring system, as well as a new Bonus Points System
    This can also be seen below.

Thanks for the sign ups so far! We have 6 and I am expecting at least two more. Hope to see Samsami and Mark get involved, too! All welcome

Spoiler!
    Last edited by JayFlo; 30-01-18 at 11:01 AM.

Stories Mod

Did you make that yourself?!

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Did you make that yourself?!
    Felipe Vega did.

Spoiler!

Stories Mod

It's bloody good work!!