Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of the King

Good away point that

Gutting to conceed so late on but TBHJ Chelsea looked the better team with regards player ratings so a fair result IMO

You have a tough run of league games now in the next 3 - against teams all in the top half

Just caught up on this after suffering from a flu this week.

Besiktas stole a point from you, but you did well with a convincing win against Atalanta.

In the league some fine results especially beating Man City with 10 men. It may feel Chelsea denied you a win, but stats wise they deserved a point.

Against Crystal Palace I predict a tight 1-2 win for you!
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    Just caught up on this after suffering from a flu this week.

Besiktas stole a point from you, but you did well with a convincing win against Atalanta.

In the league some fine results especially beating Man City with 10 men. It may feel Chelsea denied you a win, but stats wise they deserved a point.

Against Crystal Palace I predict a tight 1-2 win for you!
    Welcome back! But do you really think we will concede a goal???

I think so yes, but only because it's Crystal Palace and their weird formation might offset you.

Lucky, lucky Chelsea!

I still think you can put together a title challenge in the end, you'll slowly creep up to the top spots!

A very even game, sad to lose 2 points at the end of the game

Rovers steal win against Palace

On Wednesday 5th October we played Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park and we snatched an entirely undeserved win against a remarkably tough Palace side.

Crystal Palace played well and we started very cautiously so that nothing much happened during most of the first half except that Suárez scored a goal, but it was ruled out because Milik had his shirt pulled by Marichez. Our right defender was shown a yellow card for his trouble.

Crystal Palace became stronger now and just before the break Rossiter almost scored. He took the ball into the penalty area and hit it in low, but László saved and deflected the ball clear. Barely two minutes later Clark drove the ball towards the goal but again László did well to turn the ball away!

In the second half we brought on Akpoguma for Marichez. We needed a goal, but Palace defended well and it doesn't often happen but we only managed one single shot on goal in the entire match! But that was the deciding moment and typically, no less than four of our defensive players were involved in the buildup to that goal. It began with Dennis Praet who found Sven van Beek with a pass to feet. Van Beek lifted the ball forward with Wanyama looking to pick it up, Wanyama headed the ball to Akpoguma, who played it left to Matic's feet, Matic hit the ball ahead of Suárez in the area and our winger got free in the penalty area and shot on the volley and scored with a fine strike!

And that was it, as far as our scoring opportunities were concerned. Our defenders and our two defensive midfielders, on the other hand, had their work cut out for them! Crystal Palace created more than half a dozen decent scoring chances, making it necessary for László to show his skills. And that's exactly what our goalkeeper did time and again! He was almost beaten, though, when Diaz delivered the ball to the near post and Clark got up to head at goal and László let the ball run free. Rossiter was there to apply the finish, but László pushed it away superbly!

And so we grabbed an important win at Selhurst Park - but we certainly did not deserve it!

This was already our sixth clean sheet in seven games and for the first time László was named Man of the Match.
    Spoiler!

We had been warned that it would not be easy and it certainly wasn't. But it's a crucial win, especially just before the long international break!

Spoiler!

Our next fixture

After the international break we will play Tottenham Hotspur at Ewood Park.

Laurent Blanc prefers Tottenham to play an attractive attacking formation. Tottenham have a world class team with two great strikers. Midfielder Hakim Ziyech is a key player in the Tottenham squad.

We will play with our usual formation. Praet will start as attacking midfielder again Spurs. It's really hard to know who to pick, Praet or Cataldi, so they both get plenty of game time until January.

Last edited by samsami; 12-05-18 at 08:12 AM.

wow Laszlo was like Gordon Banks, you deffo stole 3 more points, congratz

Quote Originally Posted by evesham View Post
    wow Laszlo was like Gordon Banks, you deffo stole 3 more points, congratz
    The big question is, is he better than Steele?

In the international break we will have to make a hard decision with all the coaches, especially based on Ed de Goey's advice.

You deserved nothing at Selhurst Park, but you took everything with you. Laszlo and your defence to thank for that!

Hi Samsami,

There are some interesting looking tactics in your story!

They are not the default tactics right? Are all of them NWW? Where can I find them?

Thanks in advance!

Good luck getting the rovers back on top ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio Paim View Post
    Hi Samsami,

There are some interesting looking tactics in your story!
    They are not the default tactics right? Are all of them NWW? Where can I find them?
    Thanks in advance!

Good luck getting the rovers back on top ;-)
    Thanks! I just sent you a private reply.

So solid! Laszlo showing that Steele may not be able to walk back into the team for the first time.

László to become first goalkeeper

Although Jason Steele is not match-fit yet and Ferenc László will therefore play against Spurs after the international break, we have been talking about who should be our number one goalkeeper for the remainder of this season.

Steele has been extremely important these past seven years, and he has been maturing like good wine, but there comes a time when a player is past his prime.
    Spoiler!

And Ed de Goey believes that this is the case with Jason Steele.

All the other coaches do agree with De Goey, although Huisman emphasises that Steele still has a very important role to play for Rovers.

So we will not try to sell him. Steele will be our backup goalkeeper.

One of the reasons Ed de Goey has recommended that Ferenc László should become our first goalkeeper is because László still has his best years ahead of him.

And again, all of our coaches do agree with De Goey while O'Hanlon added that he is very impressed with László's loyalty. This loyalty was already very clear because László has spent a lot of his time on the bench without ever saying that he wants to leave the club!

Spoiler!

So the decision has been made and Rovers have a new number one goalkeeper. It's the end of an era, but we have to move on!

Last edited by samsami; 12-05-18 at 08:13 AM.

It's sorted then! Are you keeping Steele or letting him go if he wants regular game time?

Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    It's sorted then! Are you keeping Steele or letting him go if he wants regular game time?
    We'll have to find out how patient and loyal Steele is. Perhaps like László he will not even complain. But if he wants to leave we will not stop him.

Rovers defeat Spurs at Ewood Park

On 15th October we played Tottenham Hotspur in front of a crowd of 33,449. Not a capacity crowd, unfortunately, but hopefully that will change soon.

We played well against a strong Spurs team who had a major setback when Maxime Gonalons got injured and had to go off. Gonalons joined Tottenham on a free transfer this past summer and he has immediately become a key player for Spurs. Max Page (20) replaced him, but Page is not a defensive midfielder and so Spurs were somewhat crippled without Gonalons.

We immediately seized control of the midfield and indeed we scored the opening goal just before half-time when Van Dijk hit the ball towards Di Bari in the area and our striker out-jumped the goalkeeper and scored his fifth goal of the season as the ball went in off the bar.

Not that it was going to be all that easy, though. Eight minutes into the second half Gomes hit a fantastic 30-yard ball ahead of Kane who struck the ball with fury and scored a fantastic equaliser. And it wasn't the first chance Gomes has created for Spurs, either!

That goal was a big disappointment for us but less than ten minutes later we set things straight as Mahrez chipped the ball left to Di Bari who had no space to shoot so he fed Marichez and our full-back hit a low shot and restored our lead!

Tottenham never recovered from that second goal. We wanted more so we brought on three substitutes who all needed game time, but only Jordy Clasie played up to par. Still, at the end of the day we won the game without too much difficulty.

Di Bari played exceptionally well again. He almost found the net again after he had gone by the challenge of Musacchio and hit the ball high and hard toward goal but McManus saved and held the ball well.

A well-deserved and very important win. Obviously, with his goal and his assist Di Bari was named Man of the Match.
    Spoiler!

It's an interesting season already with both Swansea and Newcastle over-performing while most of the Big Six teams vastly under-perform. But then, it's early days of course and anything can still happen.

Spoiler!

Our next fixture

We know our next opponents fairly well now. Atalanta have not changed their tactics for the return match, although they made one or two changes in their lineup. Paloschi will start out on the bench and Puscas will play alongside Petagna this time.

We may have beaten our Italian opponents 4-0 at Ewood Park but this will be a different game altogether. Of course Di Bari is more than happy to play in Italy again!

The good thing is that we have not had any serious injuries yet this season so we can always play with our best possible lineup, although this also means that some of our players, like Clasie, Besic and our strikers Vera, Agüero and Duelund don't nearly get enough game time...

Jason Steele is back from his injury so he will sit on the bench again. Of course Steele is more or less used to that in cup matches and European matches.

Last edited by samsami; 12-05-18 at 08:14 AM.

Good win vs Spurs and you've really started well!

Already up to 5th and a 7 point gap with the league leaders. Nothing's decided yet!

I thought Steele would end up playing your European and domestic cup games?

Great win over Spurs, win that game in hand and you're only 4 points behind the leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I thought Steele would end up playing your European and domestic cup games?

Great win over Spurs, win that game in hand and you're only 4 points behind the leaders!
    If Steele is past his prime he should not play in important European games. Besides, he is still injured so he cannot even play against Atalanta.

Very odd game v Palace - they had better match stats but you had better individual stats so some may say you were VERY lucky to get ANYTHING out of it but I see if slightly differently...............not the win though

Can't believe Spurs had Aubam on the bench!

They have some team

But I was worried who the feck McManus is in goal (keeping out Ondoa) and my thoughts were correct

I'm calling it now - back to back league wins

BTW - Cannot believe Steele has been discarded but you have to say Lazlao has taken his chance so well!

Rovers beat ten-man Atalanta

On Wednesday 19th October we played Atalanta Bergamasca at the Atleti Azzurri d'Italia in Bergamo and we beat our opponents for the second time in a row, this time with a little help from the referee.

Initially it looked like we would have a difficult evening as Atalanta set their stall out to attack, but we have Di Bari and with fifteen minutes on the clock our striker drove the ball in low and scored!

There were one or two further scoring chances for both teams in the first half, the best one for Di Bari again who tried another low drive, but Sarr just managed to put the ball behind.

In the second half we knew that Atalanta would have to attack so we brought on some fresh faces, including Agüero for Di Bari and Cataldi for Praet. And so we were bracing ourselves for a difficult second half but within two minutes things had already changed dramatically! Agüero looked to go past Rolán who made a sliding tackle but he took the man rather than the ball and received the red card for his professional foul!

That red card basically decided the match. We were in full control of the game now and it was Agüero who eventually scored our second goal with a ferocious right-footed strike.

Wanyama was named Man of the Match, but one could argue that more than one player qualified for that honour.
    Spoiler!

An unexpected easy victory. So this means that all we have to do now is beat Ventspils again to qualify from Group H.

Our next fixture

We have a very tough away game next as we will be facing Everton at Goodison Park.

Pál Dárdal normally prefers Everton to play an attacking formation. Their strike force of Zoran Jansson and Romelu Lukaku are a threat which shouldn't be taken lightly and it comes at no surprise that Everton are currently in fourth position on the Premier League table.

However, as it turns out Jansson is slightly injured so Everton will play with Lukaku and Januzaj as striker duo, which comes as a bit of a surprise.

We have no injuries or bans so we can play with our best possible lineup again. Steele is finally back from his injury. However, this shall be the first time that Ferenc László will play in a Premier League match while Steele is not injured or banned!

And if one thing is clear it is that László will be put to the test at Goodison Park because Everton are obviously planning to stay in the title race as long as they possibly can this season!

Last edited by samsami; 12-05-18 at 08:15 AM.

Indeed an unexpected easy win against Atalanta but I guess the red card helped a lot in that.

Everton have some very good players so I expect a draw: 1-1

Is Steele past his prime though? He was still putting in the performances for you so I don't see why the roles can't be switched so he gets the cup game time now. Anyhow, you're the boss

Another easy win, another clean sheet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is Steele past his prime though? He was still putting in the performances for you so I don't see why the roles can't be switched so he gets the cup game time now. Anyhow, you're the boss

Another easy win, another clean sheet!
    Steele will get game time every now and then. The main point is that everyone on our staff agrees that László should be our 1st goalkeeper now.

Also, Steele lacks match practice so he needs to get occasional game time like Agüero, Besic, Clasie and some of the others.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast