Thread: Has anyone heard of an old manager game like this?

vCash

Question Has anyone heard of an old manager game like this?

Hello, fellas! Long time lurker here, subscribed to see if someone might help me in this quest.

I have played a lot of manager games throughout my life, and there's one I would like to give another shot at, but I simply can't recall the name, and my clues haven't been good enough to find any traces of it throughout the internet.

It is somewhat similar to 1-nil, same type of interface, but a much simpler game. It starts telling a little story about you watching your team lose a match by a wide margin at a bar, after which you go to the chairman of the club and tell him you could manage the team better than the previous manager, and he hires you. Instead of having national leagues and a continental cup, the game is set as an European league, in which teams are divided between four - I think - divisions according to a rank - for instance, at the top division are Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, ManUtd, while at the bottom you may find teams like Steaua Bucharest. Your team starts at the bottom division.

The game hasn't got much in on itself. It's very simplistic, but rather fun. The most interesting feature, for me, was the ability to sign and train young players to become your new stars. It also featured an interesting transfer system.

The thing is, I have been at many major abandonware sites and some manager game forums and I can't find even the slightest trace about this game, to the point I'm starting to doubt my own sanity. At this point I want to find this game just to prove myself I'm not crazy, it exists and I've played it. Pls send help.
    Last edited by AngryKiwi; 16-03-18 at 01:59 AM.

Tournaments Won: 10

vCash

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yes, it was a PC game. Abou the year I'm not sure, I played it around the 2000's, but I'm pretty sure it is older than 1995. Judging by the fact it is a DOS game and by it's interface and mechanics, I would guess around late 80's or early 90's.

Oh, hi Mark!

was it more text based like football manager spectrum or a few graphics in it?
    Don't suppose its this one European Superleague
    Last edited by evesham; 17-03-18 at 01:57 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to evesham For This Useful Post:

vCash
    No, it was not that one. It was entirely text based, with an interface similar to 1-nil, without its simulated match field.

vCash
    I remember playing a text based game where you could buy players (but had no clue how much to offer) which I played a couple times in the early nineties. Can't forget what it's called now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    If I recall correctly, this one game has player values, and you even had to deal with players' agents, which were a pain in the bottom most of the time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AngryKiwi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi View Post
    Hello, fellas! Long time lurker here, subscribed to see if someone might help me in this quest.

I have played a lot of manager games throughout my life, and there's one I would like to give another shot at, but I simply can't recall the name, and my clues haven't been good enough to find any traces of it throughout the internet.

It is somewhat similar to 1-nil, same type of interface, but a much simpler game. It starts telling a little story about you watching your team lose a match by a wide margin at a bar, after which you go to the chairman of the club and tell him you could manage the team better than the previous manager, and he hires you. Instead of having national leagues and a continental cup, the game is set as an European league, in which teams are divided between four - I think - divisions according to a rank - for instance, at the top division are Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, ManUtd, while at the bottom you may find teams like Steaua Bucharest. Your team starts at the bottom division.

The game hasn't got much in on itself. It's very simplistic, but rather fun. The most interesting feature, for me, was the ability to sign and train young players to become your new stars. It also featured an interesting transfer system.

The thing is, I have been at many major abandonware sites and some manager game forums and I can't find even the slightest trace about this game, to the point I'm starting to doubt my own sanity. At this point I want to find this game just to prove myself I'm not crazy, it exists and I've played it. Pls send help.
    i try:
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/soccer-game
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/starbyte-super-soccer
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/pol-gol
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/trener/credits
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/bundesliga-manager
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/footy-fanatic

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antimodes For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I remember playing Footy Fanatic and was good fun. Takes time getting use to.
    A new game was going to be released but I think the guy never had time. The developer was Thunderbear...wow how did I remember that lol!