Thread: Mark's Half Marathon Fundraiser for the The Christie

vCash

Mark's Half Marathon Fundraiser for the The Christie

Hello all!

I've started another charity fundraiser this year, this time on behalf of The Christie who are one of the largest cancer treatment centres in Europe. As last year, where I had ran the Potters 'Arf Marathon for the National Deaf Children's Society, I'll be running it for another cause close to the hearts of my family.

In Spring 2017, my then 17 year old brother Joshua fell ill and was soon diagnosed with a rare form of kidney cancer called Wilm's Disease which is usually only found in toddlers. It took time for the diagnosis to be made but once the doctors at The Christie learnt of Josh's condition, they admitted him as a patient under their care and they have been simply fantastic ever since. Josh has had to have a kidney removed as well as undergoing radiotherapy and chemotherapy which he is still going through today.

The Christie have been amazing in support not just Josh but also my mother who has pretty much single-handedly looked after Josh in between treatment and taking him to Manchester every week (sometimes two or three times a week!) and I just don't know where we'd be without them.

I've set up a JustGiving page which I have been promoting for the past four weeks and completely forgot to share the page on here, though some of the lads who I'm friends with on Facebook have already donated (you know who you are ). I know that a lot of us have been through the horrible situation of having someone close to us suffering from cancer (my uncle died of cancer two years ago too, whilst another Uncle got the all-clear himself only last year) so I really hope that you can share our determination to raise money for a truly wonderful cause

Here's the link to my fundraiser: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...endo-christies

I'll do my best to post updates over the next 8 weeks until the half marathon itself on the 10th June. We have already raised 40% of my overall target of 1,000!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will remember to sponsor you this time mate and not leave it too late!

Probably be May though as I've sponsored quite a few for the marathon this weekend.

Keep us updated on ya training mate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I will sponser 1. good cause 2. I love running 3. you run DTL and finally you are a pretty cool guy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to drkshadow1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Five weeks to go until the half marathon and we're up to an amazing 78% of my donation target of 1,000 for The Christie. An amazing amount of money raised in a short space of time and still 5 weeks to go!

Here's the link if you would like to make a generous donation https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...endo-christies

Training is going well, managed a steady 9 mile run last weekend at an average of 8 minutes and 30 seconds which I'm happy with given I did take it quite easy. Got a 10 mile run to do this weekend though, the furthest yet in my training.

Also got my t-shirt from The Christie this week so here I am with a happy pose whilst trying it on

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Great pace that mate, as stated before it'll be end of the month till I'll be in a position to donate I'm afraid mate.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just a few days to go now mate, how ya feeling?

vCash
    Not great, unfortunately. Hurt my heel playing football on the pitch at Stoke's ground on the 22nd May and it's not been right since, so I've not done any running for two weeks.

Holidaying on the cobbles of Rome hasn't helped either!

I'm still going to do it but I'm just going to have to wing it on the day now armed with painkillers and ankle supports

vCash
    Sorry to hear that mate, just get through it even if you have to walk most of it, there will be other days for PB's.

That's also why I don't play football when training, I always pick up knocks which set me back.

vCash
    Sent you an Ayrton Senna or Ivan de la Pena towards the cause, I hope your Josh keeps on battling and improves. You'll have to battle to reach the end, so good luck and maybe stop at a few pubs along the route

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate, just get through it even if you have to walk most of it, there will be other days for PB's.

That's also why I don't play football when training, I always pick up knocks which set me back.
    I know and that's exactly why I actually stopped playing Sunday league football in April/early May! But an opportunity came up to play on the pitch at the Bet365 with my mates so I signed up for it. It was great fun and a good experience though but typically, I rode a tackle at the end of the game, landing on the base of my heel!

I wouldn't have been able to run whilst in Rome (didn't fancy doing it in the humidity!) so I thought a week of rest would help but no change unfortunately. I think I tend to put less weight on my heel whilst running so fingers crossed I can still put in a respectable time. I'll just have to see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by evesham View Post
    Sent you an Ayrton Senna or Ivan de la Pena towards the cause, I hope your Josh keeps on battling and improves. You'll have to battle to reach the end, so good luck and maybe stop at a few pubs along the route
    Thank you, evesham I'll definitely be finding a pub or two afterwards, there's no doubt about that

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can't blame you for playing mate, I played 45 mins of a match at Southport's ground about 6 weeks after my Hernia op just so I didn't miss out

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    last couple of weeks before a long run should be tapering down anyway so missing these runs should not cause too much issue. Just try and keep the Ankle in tact. Hopefully it holds out for the run

20. The Following User Says Thank You to drkshadow1 For This Useful Post:

AJ is online now Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Pitched in.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash

AJ is online now Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    go get m tiger!

Redknapp69 is offline Soccer Manager - Division 1 Title/Cup
    Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    All the best - hairy chest!

vCash
    Finally got round to this as I got paid today, sorry for the delay mate but well done once again

27. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post: