Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 476 to 487 of 487

Thread: General Discussion

  1. #476

    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    4,553
    vCash
    3344
    So basically, I win.

    I'd like to thank the academy. My friends. My family. My friendly forum family... And to you naysayers that said it couldn't be done... Well... You... Ah... Ahem... What dya mean trunk won? Ffs.

  2. #477

    Join Date
    17-05-12
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,857
    vCash
    19217
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Pretty sure Jacob would have loved to take over...
    Whatever happened to him...

  3. #478

    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    29,450
    vCash
    110
    Is there anybody interested in running the UML once we've moved to the new site?

  4. #479

    Join Date
    11-03-12
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,649
    vCash
    3954
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is there anybody interested in running the UML once we've moved to the new site?
    Can't say I'm not interested as it's my baby, but not sure if it's manageble with Beat the Best as well.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

  5. #480

    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    29,450
    vCash
    110
    Indeed, be good if someone else would be interested in setting it up, otherwise will probably not have it as a forum on the new place.

  6. #481

    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    29,450
    vCash
    110
    OK, looks like we won't be running a version of the UML on the new site with the lack of volunteers

    Sure we'll have other stuff to keep us occupied though!

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:


  8. #482

    Join Date
    15-12-12
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    483
    vCash
    5925
    After inquiring with Mark about a possible alternative to the UML, that has finished its run, I'm here to propose running an alternative and gauge if there is sufficient interest.

    My idea is to run a 'lite' type of DTL, using the usual mechanics, with the handling of finances and haggling being prominent. We would use ODB players, but the biggest difference is that I would be using a completely different game engine to simulate the matches.

    A bit of backstory: several years ago I decided to port ODB players into the FIFA08 interface. Now, some of you might call me insane, and to those I say that you are probably right. In any case, after intermittent work at that database I'm now at 13 completed leagues and around 4000 players imported, which is why I decided to present this alternative.

    In my opinion, this would provide an interesting twist to the format, since you would have to explore how tactics work in the new game engine, what positions players perform best in, all while eliminating the need for AI players as each matchup would be a head-to-head game.

    I've got the basic structure of the system figured out, but I won't bore you with details, since this is only an enquiry post to see if there is any interest. In my opinion, since there is no AI teams, we'd need at least 6 participants.

    Show of hands?

  9. #483

    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    27,466
    vCash
    8860
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
    After inquiring with Mark about a possible alternative to the UML, that has finished its run, I'm here to propose running an alternative and gauge if there is sufficient interest.

    My idea is to run a 'lite' type of DTL, using the usual mechanics, with the handling of finances and haggling being prominent. We would use ODB players, but the biggest difference is that I would be using a completely different game engine to simulate the matches.

    A bit of backstory: several years ago I decided to port ODB players into the FIFA08 interface. Now, some of you might call me insane, and to those I say that you are probably right. In any case, after intermittent work at that database I'm now at 13 completed leagues and around 4000 players imported, which is why I decided to present this alternative.

    In my opinion, this would provide an interesting twist to the format, since you would have to explore how tactics work in the new game engine, what positions players perform best in, all while eliminating the need for AI players as each matchup would be a head-to-head game.

    I've got the basic structure of the system figured out, but I won't bore you with details, since this is only an enquiry post to see if there is any interest. In my opinion, since there is no AI teams, we'd need at least 6 participants.

    Show of hands?
    Unsure how it all works but stick me down for interest

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:


  11. #484

    Join Date
    15-12-12
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    483
    vCash
    5925
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Unsure how it all works but stick me down for interest
    Apologies about that, I didn't know how much detail it was necessary, I'll restructure and explain a bit below.

  12. #485

    Join Date
    15-12-12
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    483
    vCash
    5925
    How does it work
    Have you participated in DTL? Do you want something similar, but completely different? Then this is the format for you!

    The start-up of the format and its financial aspects are inspired by the forum's own DTL. You start with a team of your own choice, an empty roster and a certain amount of money, with which you acquire your players. The format is played in a league system, with each week featuring head-to-head matchups between managers, which means there are no AI teams required. As the game simulations are run in a different game engine (FIFA08), the tactical options a manager can take are reduced to their picked line-up, one of 17 formations and their set-piece takers. Instead, the challenge lies in finding the best role for each player, predicting the opponent's formation choice and figuring out the best counter formation. Transfers work in a similar fashion as in its spiritual predecessor, meaning that the managers are free to trade in between themselves, or let the player be reabsorbed into the free agent pool by their market value.

    The players
    Bringing CM 01/02 to life

    The players used in the format are taken from the old, standard ODB .60 database and recreated in a FIFA08 database. The main guideline for the conversion is taking the player's CA and transforming it into their FIFA OVR (overall rating). Their attributes are put into the database and adjusted to fit the OVR in their ODB position (meaning they can be more suited in another). The player's OVR is the only visible attribute a manager sees before the player is acquired, while also being the attribute that determines their market value. Currently, there are 13 leagues available, amounting to around 4500+ ported players. In the first season of the format, only several leagues would be unlocked, while more would be opened as the format progresses.

    Gauging interest
    Have you got what it takes?

    With champman0102 moving to another site, the format would go live after the move, IF there is enough interest for it in the community. On estimates, it would require at least 6 candidates to be run. So, if you're willing to try and deal your way to the top, mark your interest under this post!

    Currently interested (2/6):
    • Redknapp69
    • AJ


    If you have any questions about the format, ask away. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by Kaneman; 07-05-20 at 11:46 AM.

  13. #486

    Join Date
    09-04-12
    Location
    Rotterdam, Holland
    Posts
    6,238
    vCash
    300000
    Is this doable with zero knowledge and interest in Fifa? If so, I'm in.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:


  15. #487

    Join Date
    15-12-12
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    483
    vCash
    5925
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Is this doable with zero knowledge and interest in Fifa? If so, I'm in.
    It is

    Added you to the list!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •