Thread: User tactics - GFRay

User tactics - GFRay

Okay here's my non wibwob tactic that I've been using with great succes on my network save games. I present to you: Fibonacci!

Here's how each player works and what I look for attribute wise.

GK: Always on mixed passing as it will help reduce the poorly taken goalkicks. Also always normal tackling to avoid unnecessary red cards. Look for Handling, Reflexes and Agility. In that order of importance.

DR/DL: They are fullbacks, but are supposed to go down the whole flank and deliver crosses into the box. Look for Pace/Acceleration, Stamina and Crossing.

DC: I use zonal marking UNLESS the opponents plays direct passing. If there are two strikers, I man mark them both. If there is one striker, I let the one with the best marking attribute mark him and the other one on zonal marking. If there are three strikers, I let the fullbacks mark the outer strikers, the DC with best marking the middle striker and the other DC on zonal marking. Look for Positioning, Tackling, Marking, Jumping.

DMC: The DMC is on mixed passing as it helps better with the Try Through Balls that he's on. Notice that he's not running forward or with the ball. This is because you need balance in the team. See him as the playmaker in front of the defence. Look for Passing, Technique, Tackling, Positioning.

MCR/MCL: They are running down the center of the pitch joining behind the strikers. Look for Pace/Acceleration, Off The Ball, Dribbling, Passing.

MC: Basically a 'jack-of-all-trades'. Notice that he has Long Shots on. Turn it off if you haven't got a player with at least 15 for Long Shots. Look for Passing, Long Shots, Technique, Off The Ball.

AMC: I usually play a forward here since he moves into channels behind the striker. Look for Pace/Acceleration, Off The Ball, Dribbling and Jumping.

SC: I used to have the striker on Forward Runs and Run With Ball, but noticed he wasn't scoring a whole lot. Dropped Run With Ball and added Hold The Ball to make him more of a target man and it worked well. Basically he will hold the ball giving the other 4 attack minded players time to close in. Look for Finishing, Off The Ball, Jumping, Balance and Strength.

Also a very important thing is to tinker with the tactics during the game. If you're up by 2 goals at half time, switch back to normal mentality to not get caught on the break. If you're hardly creating any chances at half time, switch to mixed passing and it will almost always let you create more. Remember also to make substitutions in time. Check at half time and around 60 minutes and 75 minutes who are fatigued/injured and sub them if needed. Also look how well a player is doing. If he's playing a 6 and has much less passes than the rest, take him off. Same goes for defenders. If you see them not winning tackles, switch their tackling to normal. And always immidiately switch a player to normal tackling when they get a yellow card.

Oh and when the opponent is playing with 2 or more DMC's, always go with mixed passing as this helps the best against that (props to Andrew for this one).

Here are some of my results from three network games. Not all seasons have finished, but it's going very well. In the Burnley and Southampton one, none of us took a top 6 team so they're CPU controlled. In the Newcastle one, the other lads are Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd and have WAY better squads than me. Also we had transfer restrictions on each save so you couldn't just buy a complete new team.

And remember that the better players you will sign, the better this tactic will work.

And ofcourse a link for you guys to download and try it yourself.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/f6h65a
    Last edited by GFRay; 13-05-18 at 08:57 AM.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

Hi GFRay any chance of uploading Looper3142??
    In any way Big thanks for all the great work you are doing on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by piotrrybak View Post
    Hi GFRay any chance of uploading Looper3142??
    In any way Big thanks for all the great work you are doing on this forum.
    Sure, here it is: https://www.sendspace.com/pro/s1snxw

It's completely the same as Looper352, but it has a DMC with a forward arrow rather than a MC with a backwards arrow.

Another non wibwob tactic I've been using recently with decent succes is this one:

I'm using this tactic on my from Rags To Riches playthrough on YouTube with Stockport in the lowest of English Leagues with great success. Like all other tactics this one works best when you've got the right players for it.

Make sure you get defenders in with decent Positioning and the Offside Trap will work wonders with a 3 men defence. Your wingers are key as they will be attacking and defending a lot. Make sure you get wingers with decent Pace/Acceleration, Work Rate and Stamina. Defensive mid needs good Passing as he is on Try Through Balls and the center mids should have decent Off The Ball as they are running forward a lot. The striker needs to have decent Pace and Jumping.

Download: https://www.sendspace.com/pro/kscd7b

Thanks for sharing your insights as usual.

I have been tinkering with similar systems as your creatively named Fibonacci in some saves lately. Though, struggled to get production from the full-backs with only the small arrow forward (maybe I didn't recruit the right talent?). However, when pushing the arrows up to the middle of the pitch my teams saw a massive increase in production, involving the full-backs like not seen before. Though also conceding dramatically if the full-backs aren't up to it quality wise/the best ones injured.

Have you ever played around with such attacking minded full-backs? Or would you say from your experience it throws the balance off and if you want attacking minded wingers you rather prefer the sort of system you play Stockport with midfield wingers and 3 at the back?

Quote Originally Posted by The Porridge Flo View Post
    Thanks for sharing your insights as usual.

I have been tinkering with similar systems as your creatively named Fibonacci in some saves lately. Though, struggled to get production from the full-backs with only the small arrow forward (maybe I didn't recruit the right talent?). However, when pushing the arrows up to the middle of the pitch my teams saw a massive increase in production, involving the full-backs like not seen before. Though also conceding dramatically if the full-backs aren't up to it quality wise/the best ones injured.

Have you ever played around with such attacking minded full-backs? Or would you say from your experience it throws the balance off and if you want attacking minded wingers you rather prefer the sort of system you play Stockport with midfield wingers and 3 at the back?
    Exactly that in the bold part.

I found that my fullbacks in Fibonacci work best without arrow and with forward runs, run with ball, cross ball instructions. But still they weren't performing how I wanted them to. That's why I switched to the Airplane formation with an ML/MR that are don't have an arrow so they will defend back. I even put them on man marking if the opposing wingers are outplaying them.
    Last edited by GFRay; 03-08-18 at 05:14 PM.

Interesting. Never really gave three at the back a chance yet as I got bad memories from the past.... but the system you've put out there with the ML/MR is one that looks promising and at the same time pretty real and modern, which is what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by The Porridge Flo View Post
    Interesting. Never really gave three at the back a chance yet as I got bad memories from the past.... but the system you've put out there with the ML/MR is one that looks promising and at the same time pretty real and modern, which is what I like.
    Also when facing a 4-5-1 formation (which the managers on the new patches seem to love) I let my middle DC man mark the opposing striker and the outer two DC's are on zonal. I find that the outer DC's actually help out and defend the wingers when they get in their zone and 4-5-1 usually doesn't work against me.

So far done two seasons with Stockport on my 'From Rags To Riches' YouTube series and here are the results:

I did had more than decent players and a massively good striker in the second season, but still the tactic works. Off all games I was the lesser side in maybe two games. Its fairly stable defensively despite having three at the back. Scores a buttload as well.

The goal differential is remarkable! Looking forward to see how this holds up in higher grade now.

So I just finished a first season on a four player network game where we all took teams in the League Two and had some strict restrictions.

Only non-wibwob tactics are allowed with at least three at the back and wide players somewhere. Also only eight transfers per season in the League Two, six transfers in the League One, five in the Championship and only four per season in the Prem so it gradually gets harder and harder.

I took Luton and my Airplane tactic and had an AMAZING season winning the league by a big margin. I focused my signings on a good keeper (15 for handling, reflexes, agility), good defenders with positioning and a good striker (May from Doncaster Rovers, he got 44 goals in 44 games).

Very pleased with how the season went and looking forward to test this tactic in the League One.

I have to say Beckham and Giggs REALLY like this airplane tactic.
    Also, Van The Man is on 10 played, 16 goals right now. Not bad.

Hi, your aeroplane tactic is just what Iím looking for. Just one question though, have you tried to wib/wob the tactic?

Just won prem with my Nottingham forest team after trying a number of my own to OK success but alas, Fibonacci won me the title with a few changes in the view tab. Brilliant tactic

Hakim Ziyech received world player of the year after playing as my number 10. Don't question it, this tactic works

I've been playing with your Aeroplano tactic for about four seasons now, and I have a few questions:

1. What do you do when you get a red card?
    I've tried a number of things:
    - Drop the AMC position and keep the rest as is. (Works okay, but not if I need a score a goal.)
    - Drop the DMC position. (Dangerous.)
    - Go down to just two DCs. (Also dangerous, but this together with attacking mentality does work sometimes.)
    What are your changes for when you need to defend a lead and when you need to score a goal?

2. Have you ever tried the ML and MR on man marking against extremely offensive opponent wingers?
    I found myself trying this against the 4-1-4-1 with ML and MR with an arrow to FL and FR respectively, and against the 4-2-4 Bayern plays with.
    I was wondering whether you tested this.

3. For the DMC position, do you prefer a playmaker or a physical DMC?
    I used Guardiola on the position for a while, but he underperforms for me. I now have a 20 tackling, 20 strength guy there (with 14 creativity and 16 passing), and it seems to work better.
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but my defense feels a lot more secure with the physically strong DMC, and we're still scoring goals okay.

PS. Buy Lamberto Zauli. Best player for this tactic, as he's cheap, consistent, and can play in 5 positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I've been playing with your Aeroplano tactic for about four seasons now, and I have a few questions:

1. What do you do when you get a red card?
    I've tried a number of things:
    - Drop the AMC position and keep the rest as is. (Works okay, but not if I need a score a goal.)
    - Drop the DMC position. (Dangerous.)
    - Go down to just two DCs. (Also dangerous, but this together with attacking mentality does work sometimes.)
    What are your changes for when you need to defend a lead and when you need to score a goal?
    I take off the AMC for balance. When I really need a goal I'll put the DMC on forward runs and run with ball.

2. Have you ever tried the ML and MR on man marking against extremely offensive opponent wingers?
    I found myself trying this against the 4-1-4-1 with ML and MR with an arrow to FL and FR respectively, and against the 4-2-4 Bayern plays with.
    I was wondering whether you tested this.
    I almost always use man marking against ML/MR that have forward arrows. Or when they are getting a 7 or higher. I usually don't playing wingers there myself, but DMR/DML with decent tackling and marking. More defensive minded wingers sort of speak.

3. For the DMC position, do you prefer a playmaker or a physical DMC?
    I used Guardiola on the position for a while, but he underperforms for me. I now have a 20 tackling, 20 strength guy there (with 14 creativity and 16 passing), and it seems to work better.
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but my defense feels a lot more secure with the physically strong DMC, and we're still scoring goals okay.

PS. Buy Lamberto Zauli. Best player for this tactic, as he's cheap, consistent, and can play in 5 positions.
    My DMC needs to have 3 things. Positioning, Tackling and Passing. So yeah I prefer a physical passer over a playmaker.

Have been giving the aeroplane a go - it's awesome. One the the best non wibwob formations I've tried (substantially better than my own). Keep forgetting to set the man marking though...

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Tried your tactic Fibonacci, right central defender is really struggeling... I use Dendoncker, he has 6.59 in 37 games. Tips?

https://imgur.com/LoYuu07 - after 6 games in second season.

https://imgur.com/qZoPmSc - my team in second season.

Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    Another non wibwob tactic I've been using recently with decent succes is this one:

I'm using this tactic on my from Rags To Riches playthrough on YouTube with Stockport in the lowest of English Leagues with great success. Like all other tactics this one works best when you've got the right players for it.

Make sure you get defenders in with decent Positioning and the Offside Trap will work wonders with a 3 men defence. Your wingers are key as they will be attacking and defending a lot. Make sure you get wingers with decent Pace/Acceleration, Work Rate and Stamina. Defensive mid needs good Passing as he is on Try Through Balls and the center mids should have decent Off The Ball as they are running forward a lot. The striker needs to have decent Pace and Jumping.

Download: https://www.sendspace.com/pro/kscd7b
    Just wanted to point out how good this tactic is.

Playing .68 with Man City, 6th season, with a reasonably developed squad with Louis Saha at STR. 2nd place heading into Feb. Are you kidding me.

I take off the AMC for balance. When I really need a goal I'll put the DMC on forward runs and run with ball.
    Thanks. This was where I was struggling the most.
    I was getting all the red cards (West is a bit overenthousiastic at times & telling my guys to tackle medium after they get yellow didn't do much all of a sudden...), and I needed a proper plan.

In my 4-2-1-2-1 tactic, I can always just take off the MC, and the team will perform almost as if nothing changed.
    Not that I expect such results for any strong tactical change after a red card, but having a solid plan really helps.

I almost always use man marking against ML/MR that have forward arrows. Or when they are getting a 7 or higher. I usually don't playing wingers there myself, but DMR/DML with decent tackling and marking. More defensive minded wingers sort of speak.
    Right. I play the Aeroplane with six attacking-minded players. Perhaps that's a bit dangerous.
    I'll try to get some more defensive minded ML/MR guys and see if that improves my results.
    (Not that I need better defense, though. I'm already getting very few goals against with this amazing tactic!)

My DMC needs to have 3 things. Positioning, Tackling and Passing. So yeah I prefer a physical passer over a playmaker.
    No Guardiola/Xavi type. Got it. I'm guessing the same counts for your Fibonacci? That tactic looks to be working in more or less the same way.

Thanks. This was where I was struggling the most.
    I was getting all the red cards (West is a bit overenthousiastic at times & telling my guys to tackle medium after they get yellow didn't do much all of a sudden...), and I needed a proper plan.
    I always put the player on normal tackling after a yellow and sometimes even on easy if they have high aggression (like West or Roy Keane). It's not 100% failproof, but it does work most of the time.

No Guardiola/Xavi type. Got it. I'm guessing the same counts for your Fibonacci? That tactic looks to be working in more or less the same way.
    Fibonacci has attacking fullbacks and I use wingers on the MCL/MCR spots. Also the DC's, DMC and MC are off forward runs and run with ball to preserve that balance.

New tactic I'm currently employing with success on several saves: SpRAYpaint.

The idea behind is that the two DC's and the two DMC's don't run forward or run with ball and sit back to guard the balance in the squad. The fullbacks bomb foward delivering crosses to the forward players who are attack minded.

The striker gets the majority of the goal followed by the left AMC and the right AMC (in that order, no idea why). If you invest into your front three and some good DM's then you're golden.

Got a save going with Parma on ODB going 13-0-0 for the start of the season even beating Roma along the way. Also got a save going with Belarus where I managed to qualify for the World Cup.

Download link: https://www.sendspace.com/pro/l1vekd.

That's my default tactic, except I have both DMC's and the MC with an arrow forward.
    But I'm guessing you have different player instructions as well. I'll be downloading it to see what improvements you made.