Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Challenge 37 - Bringing Back Barakaldo

vCash
    I will have a try with this exciting challenge! Someone finished it with non wib wob?

vCash
    I doubt any one finished non wib wob

vCash
    Our first season in the top flight has come to an end. Can't really complain, although I want to complain anyway! We hit the ground running and were top for quite some time, but our form started dropping around Christmas and by April it was non-existant. We kept dropping points right, left and centre to all sorts of rubbish, and eventually finished 4th.

I had my hopes up for the UEFA cup, but playing a final when everyone's out of form ... no good. We clinged on to a 1-0 lead for over an hour, but football is a game of 90 minutes and the Germans always win. Schalke equalised in the 92th minute and of course won the penalty shootout.

The less said about the Spanish cup the better. 2nd round.

Where do we go from here? 2 million in the bank doesn't help much. I splashed 1.8 million on a striker before this season and he didn't perform at all (15 starts, 22 subs, 9 goals). Need another one but buying sub-standard players is always a lottery. Can't really afford to mess up again, especially as I can't offload anyone! It's crazy, I've had players listed for a year and there has been absolutely no interest what so ever.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    OK my turn to give this a go...Have a quick question, how do I see the league tables from previous seasons? i.e. I want to see the Segunda B and playoff tables from the year before, as I forgot to take a screenshot of these.

Adopted a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic from a previous saved game, that in turn I think is a modified version of a tactic I downloaded somewhere, could possibly have originally been Iodine CF if I remember correctly.

First season, can see the goals and points for the first stage of the Segunda B league here: https://postimg.cc/image/6m17itpzx/ (91 goals)

Play-off results: https://postimg.cc/image/qfdbblnz1/ (18 goals)

Total league goals: 109 = 109 points

Promotion = 100 points

Season 1 total points: 209
    Last edited by au; 09-07-18 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Updated screenshots

vCash
    You can't see full tables from previous seasons, under your club history and competitions you can pull up how you did in cups and what place you finished in the league along with W/D/L, GS, GC and pts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

au

vCash
    At the end of the first season, annoyingly lost my two physios, leaving me with no physio at the club...As there were no Basque physios interested, played the whole of the 2nd season without a physio. Much like Arsenal do every year.

Pretty successful in the league: https://postimg.cc/image/5juddxuvr/ (119 goals)

Semis in the cup: https://postimg.cc/image/589knevul/

Total league goals: 119 = 119 points

Segunda winner = 200 points

Cup semis = 100 points

Season 1 total: 209

Season 2 total: 419

Overall total after 2 seasons: 628 points
    Last edited by au; 09-07-18 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Updated screenshots

vCash
    Jla the exact same thing happened to me! was flying high until Christmas then started getting smashed lost about 10 in 15 games at one point

10. The Following User Says Thank You to drkshadow1 For This Useful Post:

JLa

vCash
    Season 4

I had £3m to spend and I had some realistic targets that would improve the squad …. Then the bloody idiotic board spent £2.5m of MY MONEY on expanding the stadium. Plans ripped up.

Fortunately I got key target Peru Nolaskoain from feeder club Atletico Bilbao for a second season on loan, along with José García and Miguel Olivide. A 4th midfielder came on loan from Peña Deportivo. I still had a few more targets, so I looked at who I could ship out and managed to get a bit of money for Txema Pan (£1.6m), David Martin (£1.2m) and 3 others, so I was back in business. 4 bosmans, (including EnekoCapilla) plus a player/coach goalkeeper and 4 that I paid money for, completed the transfer activity.

As I said on the season 3 update, I would be looking at the tactics and my first effort was one that I had been playing about with but never used. It was a mashup between Mourinho-Play (the best defence in the OTL) with Evolution, (the best attack in the OTL)

To an extent it worked, 3 wins from 3 and no goals conceded, but the wingers and forward midfielders were knackered after an hour, so it was not sustainable, especially when the pitches got heavy. I decided to fight fire with fire and reverted to a more conventional 4-1-4-1. What followed was the most boring season ever. A rock solid defence made us incredibly hard to break down and we recorded a string of low scoring wins and draws. We were miles clear of the pack, ut never looked like catching eventual winners Leganés. The final league table is slightly flattering as we had a 6-0 win in our penultimate game and Leganés lost 3 of their last 4 games.

There was a flutter of transfer activity in January when I got 2 bids of £1m for my keeper Jon Ander Serantes. Since I thought my backup keeper was just as good, I negotiated that upto £1.2m, which allowed me to bring in a Bosnian/Basque striker, Kenan Kodro, from Mainz, for £600k and that in turn allowed Ito to leave. He hadn't cut it since we got promoted.

The Copa del Rey campaign was short and sweet. We got past Almería 2-1 only to draw Real Madrid. They fielded a full strength side and demolished us 3-0 (Casemiro, Dybala, Bale)

Kodro top scored with 14 from 13 starts and will be key for next season. Capilla added 10, but the best average rating, for a second season, went to keeper Aitor Navarro, a Bosman signing at the start of my 2nd season.

And so to La Liga. Survival is the only aim, and replacing the 4 loanee players about all that I can hope for. I have plenty to spend, but I expect that the board will again up the capacity to wipe that out, and I have no more dead-wood to sell.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 4 come to an end, and there has been absolutely no progress. Another 4th. Actually we did worse than last year, but apparently so did everybody else so we still finished 4th.

Qualified for Champions League, but was knocked out from the first group stage (Bayern, CSKA, Rosenborg and ourselves). We would have qualified for group stage 2 if we had defeated Rosenborg in the last match, but as always we struggled to score and it finished 0-0. Bayern and CSKA on to the next round, we got to play UEFA and was hammered by someone. Can't remember.

Got a bit more money in the bank now, but quality Basque players are so friggin' expensive. I will need to empty my bank account to sign any one of them, it's only a matter of deciding who to bring in. I think I'm gonna look for a midfielder. We got Mikel San Jose this year, he was immense.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mid-season update for season #5

Maybe this will be our year?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    End season 5. We couldn't quite do it this year either, Real Madrid are a tough nut to crack! We did significantly better than last year though. We even won some unexpected silverware!

League table:

... but we showed we are certainly no pushovers! Turan (Barca) was sent off at 86 after a rough challenge on our left back. The very same left back who drilled in the winner in the last minute. Hah!

The trophy cabinet at Lasesarre doesn't need expansion quite yet. Not half bad for an all-Basque side though!

My proudest moment as Barakaldo manager. Bayern had 0 shots in this game. None! While we had 13.

Final score: can't be arsed.

Thanks challenge team, really enjoyed this! All hail Barakaldo!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Early doors, but Barakaldo fans are getting excited

vCash
    Season 5

My one and only attempt at La Liga and money is not an issue. Despite the board increasing the stadium capacity again, the TV money gave me a whopping £11m to spend. The problem though is finding anyone willing to come for our maximum £6k per week wages.

Firstly, 2 departures. Xabier Aizpuru looked good on paper but failed to deliver. He went to Bilbao for just short of £1m. Markel Etxeberria headed to Tenerife for £425k. Along with the 4 departing loan players, and a retirement, there were quite a few vacancies.

José García decided to make his loan from Bilbao permanent and I picked up 3 Iñigos … Córdoba, a winger from Las Pamas, Ruiz de Galarreta a midfielder also from Las Palmas and Vincente, a forward from Caudal who had been on loan a couple of seasons ago. I also found a backup defensive midfielder

The opening fixtures were a joke. Atlético Madrid (H), Sevilla (A), Barcelona (H) and Athletic Bilbao (A). No chance …. but we get 7 points, that would have been 8 if Thiago hadn't scored an injury time winner for Barca ! Amazingly we were up with the leaders and stayed on their tails with some great results against the lesser teams. We even went top for 24 hours following a 5-1 thrashing of Oviedo.

But it couldn't last and those narrow wins turned into draws, while the draws turned into narrow defeats. Nobody put more than 2 past us all season, but we dropped into the bottom half, only for a good run of 7 points from our last 4 games to lift us upto a very respectable 7th placed finish.

Scoring goals was the problem. None of my strikers bagged more than 4, and my top scorers were both midfielders. Best player was again my keeper. Aitor Navarro is a must buy for anyone attempting this.

The Copa del Rey has to be a missed opportunity. El Ejido, Girona, Valladolid and UCAM Murcia are all from the lower tiers. We then avoided Valencia and only had to beat Segunda B side Villanovensa for a place in the final. They scored twice in the first 5 mins of the away leg then parked the bus. We should have taken them at home, but a red card each in the 3rd minute wrecked the plans, and we were reduced to 9 after just half an hour. They bagged an away goal from their only attack and heads went down after that.

A very good challenge and a great reminder of a misspent youth going back to one of the clubs I had managed many years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Season 1 50 + 66 = 116
    Season 2 100 + 89 = 189
    Season 3 100 + 50 = 150
    Season 4 100 + 69 = 169
    Season 5 100 + 48 = 148

Total = 772

I'll get some screen shots and put them in the results
    Last edited by Kingsley; 17-07-18 at 08:57 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

GFRay is offline 0102Bet Mod
    Network Games Mod
    Official Challenge Mod
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    Most Mod Titles
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless View Post
    Season #5

Spoiler!

Total points = 211 + 125 + 173 + 5,287 + 5,080 = 10,876 points

As the club does not allow to sign non Basque players, I will only provide list of staff-in and prove of Basque nationality

Spoiler!

Please let me know if i miss anything
    You forgot to add the 100 points for finishing 4th in your final season so your total is 10,976.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!
    Want to have your tactic tested to see where it ranks? Check out the Revamped Tactics League!
    Current games: Ultimate Managers League, Road To Glory and International Managers Competition
    Current stories: From Misfits To Champions: An Interactive Story, The Coventry Comeback and The Great Comeback: A Dutch Football Story

Network Games Mod
    Official Challenge Mod
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    Most Mod Titles
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by evesham View Post
    Season 5 and I threw the La Liga title away in the last 2 games drawing them both and losing the title to Barca by 1 point
    On the bright side it was my highest La Liga finish but a shame we blew it.

Spoiler!

Season 1 Total = 213 points
    Season 2 Total = 294 points
    Season 3 Total = 296 points
    Season 4 Total = 80 points

Season 5
    Goals for = 87 points
    La Liga 2nd = 500 points
    Copa del Rey Rnd 3 = 0 points
    Season 5 Total = 587 points
    Final Challenge Total = 1470
    You actually scored 96 goals in season 2 rather than 94 so your final total is 1,472

Also: Didn't you have any success in Europe? I don't see you talking about that at all while you do get points for it.
    Want to have your tactic tested to see where it ranks? Check out the Revamped Tactics League!
    Current games: Ultimate Managers League, Road To Glory and International Managers Competition
    Current stories: From Misfits To Champions: An Interactive Story, The Coventry Comeback and The Great Comeback: A Dutch Football Story

Network Games Mod
    Official Challenge Mod
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    Most Mod Titles
    vCash
    Spoiler!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyefc View Post

A great season again, with Williams finally coming good and finishing the season as our top scorer. Greizmann was a slight disappointment, but our defence was really sound.

Total for season - 18202
    Challenge total - 32014

A thoroughly enjoyable challenge! And i've kept it going into season six. However my gamble has backfired slightly as i'm now in massive debt and need to sell players to balance the books! haha! :-)
    Mate you made an error for the points calculation for the final season. It should be 17,202.

La Liga = 1,000
    Goals Leauge: 102
    Champions League = 10,000
    World Club Champion: 5,000
    Spanish Cup: 500
    Manager of the Year: 500
    Spanish Super Cup: 100

Total: 17,202

vCash
    By mistake I deleted my first attempt at this after 2 seasons, so decided to start again, but with the latest patch. This is how I got on:

vCash
    Points for league goals: 505
    Points for league finishes: 1st season 50, 2nd season 200, 3rd season 200, 4th season 200, 5th season 1000, total - 1650
    Point for cup: 100 (semi), 500 (winner), total - 600
    Points for CL: 10,000
    Points for manager of the year: 500

Total points: 13,255

vCash
    First season

Tactic
    Spoiler!

Players in
    Spoiler!

League
    Spoiler!

Playoffs
    Spoiler!

Spanish Cup
    Spoiler!

100 for Promotion
    100 for Spanish Cup semi-final
    94 for golas scored

TOTAL 294
    Last edited by giopos; 07-08-18 at 10:42 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to giopos For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Second season

Players in
    Spoiler!

League
    Spoiler!

200 for Segunda Division winner
    88 for goals scored
    294 for first season

TOTAL 582

30. The Following User Says Thank You to giopos For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I've just started this one. I want to see how far I can go using just default tactics and training.

I have a question. If a player gets promoted through the academy, but he isn't Basque, do I have to release him?

vCash
    Not very far!!!

Sacked after 16 league games. W4 D6 L6. Not terrible but we were 5th from bottom. A few players lost confidence in my ability, then loads more turned on me after I fined one of their team mates for a needless red card.

Player power rules!

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    I've just started this one. I want to see how far I can go using just default tactics and training.

I have a question. If a player gets promoted through the academy, but he isn't Basque, do I have to release him?
    yes.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567