Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Journey Manager - A side story by ZanSnake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Outstanding stuff mate, two great possibilities of silverware, Connah's Quay going backwards currently but I'm sure they'll come back at you at some point, and you've a massive game against Haverfordwest next, is that at home or away?
    At home

Yeah, dunno what's with the turnaround, but definitely exciting stuff. Tempted to try to win League Cup and Premier Cup before leaving - Premier Cup allows Welsh clubs in England to play, so extra challenging

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Update:

Had a little two week break from Champ Man as the heat rose and so did my working hours, but I am back! Hoping to get the ball going again shortly before my other exile when i am on holiday. Decided to go with a 17 year time limit to add some intrigue to the story, as well as a nifty little banner to spruce up the opening page.

Stay tuned for the update

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Chapter One
    – The Stretch for Glory –

On the morning of the dawn of Spring, myself and the lads trained as if any other day. The tide had been coming in with the air of expectation intensifying as we came closer to the dying days of the season. Life had truly started to blossom, as the cold winter had passed.

Famous faces – few of which I wasn’t even aware was connected to the town before – started to emerge, cheering on the team. In the local pubs, an operatic singer called Paul Pans… or Pots kept drunkenly singing our name in the midst of midnight celebrations after games. We were also publicly endorsed by the town’s local super-hero Captain Beany after he publicly said he would make the whole team baked beans on toast if we won the league. Further adding he might add some bacon or sausages of we did the double, perfect motivation!

But the biggest compliment was from Port Talbot born, acting legend, Sir Anthony Hopkins who mentioned the teams impressive form on a national radio interview. While only being a three second peroid in an hour and a half intense interview, to have recognition from one of the greatest actors ever to grace stage or screen was a testament!

After hearing all the admiration, our short training session went intense and determined for the game for tomorrow. We had to keep the big named fans entertained for longer!

Mark Jones does a mean Hannibal impression!

At home, we hosted Haverfordwest – who came from South-west of Wales – in what was a shot of revenge after the 0-1 defeat suffered away. An intense first half left the spectators of 779 on a dramatic thrill ride, which was finally break the suspense with a quick-fire series of goals within 7 minutes. Ryan Thompson decided to be useful for the first time in a while, smacking an easy loose ball into the back of the net just seconds after the restart for remarkably his 5th of the season. Masudi was then pushed 7 minutes later in the box, allowing Alan Hughes to step up and score the resulting penalty to bag redemption as well as 3 points for the 2-0 win.

The week after, the dream of a possible double blossomed like a daffodil in spring. The location was set upon our own soil as we played home against Caersws in the Quarter Final of the Welsh Cup.

It was a game of UTTER domination! There was more mercy shown to a cow at the slaughterhouse then what we had given to the away team. Though the scoreline reflected it otherwise, it was a simple case of shooting until the horse was dead after the first goal went in.

It started with a tragic line as after a heart-breaking close early goal, we were forced to see one our leading actors of the attacking ensemble be ushered off the pitch for his curtain call. The stand-in – the younger Ben Jones – had failed to score a positive reaction as of yet, but I had hoped that under the spot light, he would flourish.

The metaphor I was going for to value his chance.

Alan Hughes, the architect of first missed chance, was the man to break the duck after we was awarded a penalty after Ready pushed from a corner opportunity unfairly. Alan took the chance with all his two hands and three legs – or so I heard from the local groupies – and smashed it into the top right corner to make it his 5th of the season; 2 in 2 for march; and more importantly 1-0.

Like a tug of war with an a Sumo, it was all us pulling for the next goal. The possession statistic alone showed that utter determination to find a second goal!

Spoiler! We scored a second.

From the echelons of the first half, to the gruelling middle of the second, we had fought tooth and nail for the second goal. It was around half an hour until the Gods of football finally allowed us to be blessed with a second gift, Thompson holding up play as Masudi rushed past the full-back who, once played in, slotted the ball into the box for the usual assassin ‘Marky’ Mark Jones to slot in his 15th of the season.

And boom! We were into the Semi-Final!

The importance for the game away against Aberystwyth was diminished after the gruelling previous game, and after beating them twice in three meetings, it was a very routine game. Thomso came in as the attacking midfielder as I pushed goal-behemoth Mark Jones into a forward slot.

Jones was like a dog at the butchers, gleaming ear to ear, at his chance to be the star striker and he took the opportunity like said dog does with a good leg! A brace with each goal coming in both halves made it a happy routine win on the road, so happy I merely forgot the penalty given away and conceded from just 12 minutes into the game. A 2-1 away win was good enough for me.

Another game at home, and it was another starring role for Mark Jones as a striker against Welshpool, though his supporting class was helping as usual. His attacking midfielding replacement, Thomso, helped create one of his two goals after collecting the ball from a simple thrown in and then crafting another simple pass forward to open space for the rushing forward to latch onto and duly finished as deadly as always with only 15 minutes played.

As what was seemingly coming common for the 20-year-old Londoner, Jones finished his brace in the second half. The assist was from 19-year-old left back Thomas Paul Griffiths, whose brilliance of a pass was unfortunately out-shone by the perfect skills shown by the finish, as Jones collect the ball with superb control to the jink past Mark Thomas and then nutmegged covering Chris Fry coolly before smashing it low into the back of the net.

With two victims on his list, Jones had now put us 6 points ahead of 2nd place Connah’s Quay, and the 2-0 win put us on the future projection for the double!

Playing really well, and also one of few players with RL pictures of….

With definitive game of the month, it was time to reintroduce the returning Dean Thomas back into the side, meaning Marky Mark would be returning as the second-striker role behind. With an away visit to Carmarthen Town, it would be the final game until our semi-final match against Haverfordwest in April. With already a win advantage (a 1-0 home win in November; where Marky Mark goes his 5th of the season to win it for us) over the hosts, confidence was high.

The confidence grew a lot when we scored 5 minutes into the game, Marky Mark getting his 20th of the season. It was another game where we put a young goalkeeper into the spotlight, with only one more of the 21 shots on target getting a goal – that being Ryan Thompson who headered in from a Masudi cross after half-an-hour.

It was Peter Blain who clearly stood out for the home side, who had impressed so much this season that he had been called up for the under 21’s! But still didn’t do enough to stop the 2-0 away win we want away with.

The end of March came with a beautiful end, and another reign of superamcy from the lads. 10 goals scored, 1 conceded in 5 games was a prevalent performance for the double we had now been set with. Marky Mark continued with more glory-filled performances, and led the team in attack, with goals coming from both forwards as well!

Adams experience as a defender continued to show. Other teams in the league had conceded over 20+ goals so far this season, but we had only seen 14 hit the back of our net. Though our attack was significant less – Connah’s Quay has scored 60 goals – it was enough to rank up the wins.

We have 9 points over Connah’s Quay, and those three wins would surely mean it was only a matter of time – if we continue our amazing performances – before the titles was our with only 4 games left!

And as expected, I won the Manager of the Month award.

Haverfordwest has been one of thee teams that we have had only faced twice, with each team with a win. We initially lost 1-0 away in October when we were trying to find our identity still, and won 2-0 when we faced them just last month.

But now, that doesn’t matter. We are in the cup. Only 90 minutes would make or break us in terms of a double. All I could do was send out the same boys and hope for the same performances we’ve been giving all season!

With the motivation of the final looming above both set of teams marched out, the atmosphere was tense, but that didn’t translate to the performance from the sides!

It was close, entertaining, and open – though opportunities didn’t start until it settled in the 20th minute. Masudi had a chance after getting free, but his volley was high and wide of the goal. Another perfect opportunity came close for Thompson whose header was wide as well.

Into the second half, Haverfordwest – the ‘home’ side – made a few changes that allowed them to start getting a brighter forward patch. Adams made an easy attempt for Carl Thomas to have a chance, but right-back Evans did a sublime tackle to turn into a counter which ended with Thompson again going wide.

Fate was nearly against us after the hour mark, as a fierce shot from Nathan Thomas smacked George who nearly scored an own goal if not for the push from the hands of Sadoucas. Watts and Adams again combined to force another save from Sadoucas – who had been on high alert – as Haverfordwest showed determination.

Into the dying minute, we finally had another clear chance. Marky Marked had a quiet game, after being marked out, but so nearly came closer to grabbing a last minute winner in normal time as his shot forced 42-year-old Fredrickson to turn back the years with a sublime save.

With extra time looming, Thomso came on for Thomas as Jones was pushed forward to look for a goal. The first half was gruelling. Tiredness had settled into the lgs of the players, and exhaustion was the key factor of anything.

Thomso, as the freshest player, came close with a shot clasping the top of the bar with a frustrated shot. It was clear this was going down to penalties….

And the start of the second half of extra time helped with assertion as left winger Alan Hughes was forced off with an injury. His tired legs had given out, and soon former-Cardiff youth player Philip Owen came on.

As predicted, bar an insanely tense moment from a free-kick from Haverfordwest, it was down to the dreaded penalties. The do-or-die of football had reached us, and it was down to this!

Thomso stepped up as the freshest player and looked set to make up for his dreadful miss from earlier. Running up he aimed with a side shot….

And SCORED!

Haverfordwest had player-manager Deryn Brace stepping up, the 27-year-old had an average game but as he took his penalty, it was more than average as he SCORED!

Masudi was our second-taker and he seemed to determined to score. Running up and smacking it full on, he SCORED!

19-year-old Dylan Blain was next up after coming on in the second half of normal time for the home side. The young player showed no lack of confidence, winking to his team-mate before confidently walking up and SCORING!

With each team taking goal in all the penalties so far, pressure was on Ryan Thompson who had missed a few chances in the 120 minutes. He looked a little nervous as he stared at the goal, and though I was thinking the worse, he showed no hesitation and SCORED!

The sixth penalty was now in motion, and with each kick the pressure was on. Veteran defender Phil Evans was the man who had to face Sadoucas, who had a terrific game. His saves kept us in this, and one-on-one with the Welshman he seemed focused as ever. Evans ran with might as hissing was heard from the away fans, but ultimately the shot was SAVED!

The momentum was on our side! And it was the hero, Sadoucas who stepped up for the 7th penalty. He stepped up with no emotion, ran and struck the ball which went flying into the air. Sadoucas had SCORED!

The atmosphere was on! Nathan Thomas stepped up knowing he had to score to keep Haverfordwest in the game. With a deep exhale before, he lined up and placed the ball on the spot. With the blow of the whistle he ran and….

SCORED!

Haverfordwest had the slimiest of life lines, but it surely wouldn’t matter right? As it was the saviour of our season Marky Mark Jones who would be taking the winning penalty. With the away fans singing ‘Good Vibrations’ already celebrating, Jones set himself.

Ball on spot, man in motion, the moment was ready. But it seemed it wasn’t to be as Frederickson turned back the clock once again and SAVED!

Now the home side had a chance to level, make it all square once more and continue this hell on Earth. It was the Man of the Match himself, and the team’s caption Derek Brazil who stepped up. He looked set to be the man for his team once more, and thumbs-upped his team-mates before stepping up. He ran the mark in the game, now all he had to do was smack the ball into the back of the net.

He ran up, but before he could push his whole foot to the ball he slipped, toe-poking the ball high and blazing OVER!

We had done it! We had made the final!!

With one step being booked for the double, the closest was to seal the title. With no more than 4 games to go for the season, all we had to do was win one and hope Connah’s Quay lose or draw and the title would be ours!

With Alan Hughes out injured, it was 19 year old Freddie De’Ath who came in on the left hand side, though with only a few dissappointing games under his belt, surely he could do a good one for the odd few games?

Our first attempt for the trophy was against Flexsys Cefn Druids at home, and despite dominanting the match, we couldn’t find a single goal! 13 attempts on goal, 4 on target, wasn’t the best ratio but was a good showing at trying, but couldn’t break the deadlock as Keeper Walsh kept us at bay.

Thomas came off with 18 minutes left to allow Marky Mark up-front, but even that seemed to not result in a goal. And with all things set on the draw, the worse case scenario was pulled out the bag as the away’s left back, Paul Morris, was pushed over by our own left back Thomas Paul Griffiths in our box!

A penaly award to which centre back Maguire slotted in for his first ever goal – just so happened to be against us – and to end our 11 games undefeated streak!

It wasn’t to be at home, it seemed.

But with a few words from experienced Adams about concentration throughout the whole game, we were on the road to face Llanelli. It was a 1-0 at home in December when we hosted the opposition, a solely Marky Mark goal was the decider. But today, I hoped a few other might show up to make the title win seem more of a team effort.

And it seemed the mentality went across well, within 31 minutes into the game we were 3-0 ahead with 2 different goal scorers. Marky Mark was involved in the first goal with 13 minutes on the clock, doing impressive dribbling before squaring the ball for Thomas to score the first. Griffiths was the assistant for the second, just three minutes, as he crossed the ball from the left wing for Masudi to smack a hard, high volley into the back of the net.

The third wasn’t a team goal, though it was an enforced save from a Marky Mark header that allowed the pouncing Thomas to score his second to put us up 3-0 up and one hand on the Welsh Premier Division title.

The celebration was dampened as Andrew Martin scored near-instantly on the reply, after being found from Player-Manager Nigel Winterburn in the box and simpe header through Sadoucas arms. Martin had impressed since signing after his failure to make it at Crystal Palace and was a name on my own short-list.

Winterburn had only taken over in early March and had only one won game so far

The second half did see Mark Jones score a goal from a Masudi pass, but only from the dismay of the red card of loanee De Vugit after he headbutted Thomas just two minutes earlier.

With ten men and an already a 4-1 result, I was half expecting a goal bonanza, but unfortunately the home side became an ultra-defense force that a UN member would be happy to have. But as deadly as can be, Thomas was finally able to complete his hat-trick after another deflected save fell to his feet to which he looked dead certain to score – and did!

And with the result, meant we had done it.

The fans sang with the team dancing and cheering as I stood coolly, clapping to the fans before heading into the locker-room to collapse against the wall. I had won a football league title? A final in a few weeks?

This would be a hard season to follow… Should I actually extend my contract, further then the one year deal I was given – mostly to save face if it would be a failure – I had the option to extend for another year.

Amongst my own inner discission of my future, one of my players came up to me just a day after we secured our title. Captain Karl Ready was the first big name to come to the team and his performances – though a hiccup at the start – was a starring role to our impressive defence. The 29-year-old came up to me, mention how he needed to move on to a bigger club, wanting to become a Wlesh international star once more.

I denied his attempt to leave the club. At least for now.

With his interests elsewhere, Ready was dropped for the rebound game against Caenarfon Town as young defender Phillip Jones took his place for only his 5th appearance. The absence of Ready wasn’t felt as we scrapped a 1-0 home win, thanks to Thomas scoring his 4th in 2 games.#

After the game, we finally had our hands on the trophy!

It was an unchanged side for what could have been a final showdown between the champions and the runners-up, we were travelling to Connah’s Quay stronghold Deeside stadium. The match was initially thought to be a close affair, but as usual, we had broken that dynamic.

Thomas scored his 15th goal of the season just 9 minutes, but couldn’t add a second as it was our kryptonite, Andy Mulliner in goal. 6 clear cut chances, came down to one goal. And despite the home side having most over all possession, we had cornered them to only one shot on goal all match.

Unfortunately the only two other talking points was the injury of right back Mark Evans who would now be a doubt for the Cup final, and Steve George picking up his 5th yellow card meaning a suspension in the final for one of our best centre backs. Connah’s Quay had now dropped down to 3rd in the final table after an abysmal run of 2 wins in the last 10 games!

Another positive was seeing rivals Afan Lido sitting in 12th position. To think I had once worried of finishing below them at the start of the season, it showed what a great turnaround the club had done!

Sitting back with a beer in hand in my small studio flat, I could only think of what solution I could have. But that would be a whole new chapter onto it self….

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

gratz on the title

8. The Following User Says Thank You to evesham For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by evesham View Post
    gratz on the title
    Cheers

442 diamond and the last three signings changed everything. Jones was a Gola machine and Thomas has been good when needed. Let's hope the season ends with the fairy tale ending

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Awesome stuff on the title mate, that's some collapse from Connah's Quay with just 2 wins in their last 10 games, but with a goal difference of +39 to their +12 you richly deserved that title.

Newtown in 4th placed though, the final could be a tricky one, either way I think like Karl Ready you should be looking to move on whatever happens after it.

vCash
    Chapter One:
    - The Final in Wales? -

It had been nearly over a year since I took over at Port Talbot Town with no ambition but to make it as a football manager with only a lowly non-league coaching experience. My profile was so low not even the government knew I was alive. Only or a short period; at least.

But now, local celebrities are calling my name. Newspapers are trying to contact me for exclusive interviews, and now I am the infamous Silent Manager of Port Talbot Town.

That simple gesture has now become synonymous to me. So much so, that even public agents have come calling. But only one was able to get through to me, only due to personal connections to my family. It started with one phone call...

“Zanny-Boy! Look who fell from the fame tree! You’ve grown into a sensation my lad, and to think you were so mundane and so uninteresting last we met.”

ZanSnake: Hello? I can’t say I remember whoever you are saying you are...

“Ha ha ha! They’re missing out on all your jokes with this monk stuff! It’s me, Lou! You’ve got to remember the man who put your family name in the lights!”

A vivid image of a short, balding, cigar-smoking mould started to gather in my head, and indeed I start to remember the agent of my parents, Lou Roll of Rollin’ Stars.

ZanSnake: I remember that you ditched them once they were the favourites any more, how’s life leading you?

“Well, not any more coke to snort nowadays! Ha ha, I kid. Look Zanny-Boy, I’m not going to sugar-coat you – your hot fire. This shtick you’ve come up with, the press are eating it up. A ‘silent’ football manager? Perfect! But, you have the wrong medium. Wales? Who the feck is there here except those sheep-lovers? No-one!”

ZanSnake: Well there’s Tom Jones, Sir Anthony Hopkins-

“And they all high-tailed it out of this wet, highland shit-hole for the real time! And you, my son, have got to hit it right on the head! We are talking about travelling the world, becoming a God in different countries and earning thousands – now, millions – at the same time!”

ZanSnake: This isn’t show business Lou, this is football!

“The most dramatic show on Earth! An unscripted two acts lad bare in front of thousands!”

ZanSnake: Actually, we’ve been averaging 660 people all season…

“Not if we worked together son, for old time’s sake, let the Snake-Roll connection combine once again to make history!”

His words spun me, and with questions already arising, it seemed even better for me to take the deal but again, I didn’t want my future to undermine the Cup Final. The answer was set, but it wouldn’t be until after the game that anyone would know.

[Left] The time had come, our chance to add only our second honour in the whole of the club’s existence came. And with such a disappointing start of the season, I would have never dreamt of the day that I could end my debut season as a manager with a double!
    The run had been a confident display since the first game in November, and the tense penalties Haverfordwest still gives me butterflies as I think of it. But we had done it. 8 goals in 4 games saw us through till the end, it was the same 11 I would rely on (minus Steve George due to his suspension) to carry that form into the final.
    [/right]

But the team opposite us wasn’t any ordinary push-overs. It was a tight 1-0 win for us in our last match-up, the heroics of Peter Sadoucas denying them to snatch a draw or, even yet, the three points. Though it was also another tense affair in the revese fixture before that, as they ran out the winners by a single goal.

A close affair was indeed what I am anticipating! They had pushed themselves all the way to the Quarters of the League Cup to get knocked out by eventual winner’s Connah’s Quay.

Scoring 7 along the way, they had the league’s third highest goal scorer as their main threat. With only Marky Mark and Coannah’s Quay striker McCormick taking the higher spots.

The stage was readied at our ground – home advantage – and the drama was ready to unfold.

It was not time for the performance of the season….

With the wind nestling into the coastal scenes, I shook my compatriots hand before getting into the dugout. With emotions already on high-wire, seeing the team readied for kick-off nearly set me off. As the whistle blew, the atmosphere was tense, which had gotten even worse after Phillips Jones lost possession near the half-way lane.

The centre-back was George’s replacement, and the pressure was on him to find a pass, but instead Newtown pressed and took to fling a chance from only the 4th minute. McKenzie controlled the lobbed pass comfortably on the wing, my eyes bulging out as he one-twoed with Jonathon Jones as Ben Bannon ran with acres of space. The inevitable happened as soon as they noticed, with McKenzie sent the ball into space for Bannon to take his time before slotting it into the back of the net.

Newtown poached an attack and scored with the first attack. It was now on for us to get back into the game, but again we went into cardiac arrest as Mark Williams – the target man for their attack – volleyed just over the bar just seconds after kick-off.

Fortunately, we settled back into the game.

No chances for 10 minutes, each team had a breather – though more deservedly for the away side. But they were back at it as a save from a Thompson shot went straight up the field the other end. Bannon had again gained space past Jones and was one-on-one with Sadoucas.

Thankfully, the Greek God had used his reach to enforce a miss but it was another close call.

A kick-up field lowered my blood pressure, for only a second as Raul Torres’s thrown in found the space seeking Griffiths – who turned his wing-back role into a Zidane showing - turning Shakespeare into a wordsmith of an illiterate before an excellent low cross.

The cross found the feet perfectly for Dean Thomas to score his 6th in the last four games!

The game was on!

But not literally as it was a dull rest of the half, with only Marky Mark Jones coming close to scoring another goal before the half-time whistle.

The first Act was indeed done.

A tense, slow-building, gruelling half that teased a dramatic fall-out. The intermission would leave the audience gasping for more, like a fish out of water, like an alcoholic out of whisky. There needed to be a final conclusion. A nail put into the coffin.

With the strike of the hour, we were marched back out for more. A battle between two determined battalions, putting it out there but reserving for the right moment to attack. And as the fist half had shown, it was only these little glimpses that was needed.

Setting the mood once more, the first 15 minutes was a reintroduction into the game – and despite his early mistake, Jones had stepped up since to make sure no early goals. It was on the hour mark when Sadoucas had to pull another save from the hat – the rabbit was used earlier – which was clear by Ready to the man in the heart of the midfield, Raul Torres.

The architect pass forward for Marky Mark who, shocking enough, fake shotted to get past his man and then unselfishly knocked it forward for the rushing Thompson who took his time to volley the ball towards goal.

Giving us the lead for the first time in the game!

The double was only a matter of time if we could hold on.

Just 7 minutes later I was forced to make a change as Phillip Jones was injured in a clash with the on-rushing Newtown’s attackers. 1 change made, the away side had three new players on the field. Their determination freighted me, and soon a chance was carved.

McKenzie found space on the wing once more, putting a deadly ball into the box where Mark Williams charged in. A low shot connected with his left foot, but fortunately went well wide. An instant repsonse was needed.

Thomas and Marky Mark did well to connect with one another to get past their markers, before pushing it onto Masudi on the wing. The right wing messiah did a beautiful curving ball for Thompson for a second. The easy header never came to fruition however, and soon it was back on the other side.

They say that in theatre, if there is an element of the story that isn’t relevant, then it shouldn’t be there. The term became known as ‘Chekov’s Gun’, after he wrote in a letter:

“One must never place a loaded rifle on the stage if it isn't going to go off. It's wrong to make promises you don't mean to keep”

In our Two Act epic, Mark Williams had shown his deadly feet many times throughout the match, but hadn’t let it go off. The promise for a goal for the away fans had been teased immensely, and with a sharp focus and a reloaded chamber, a mistake from a simple cross by Sadoucas allowed for Williams to blow his load into the back of the net!

The 89th minute had given a final twist to the tale…

But the 90th would go full circle!

Within a matter of minutes the game could’ve had three goals, two did go in and Hughes denied a Thompson hat-trick but in the end it was the home sides hat-trick – hat-trick of goal and a brace of glory!

And after being a team written off at the beginning, we were winners. The ending was a triumphant hero, defying the odds and riding off in the sunset.

“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.”

The lads celebrated into the morning hours, their names soon to become folklore both in the sports hall and into the town’s night life.

The awards of the season came to show that:

With even myself winning the Manager of the Year award:

My first season as a manager had definitely been a perfect taster, and with tears welling into my eyes I couldn’t be more proud with what myself and the team had accomplished.

But after the awards, after the title and cup; I met with chairman Andrew Edwards to discuss my future with the club. Both of us seemed enthusiastic at the beginning of a long-term success, but it had now become a reality.

In his office we sat and we chatted….

Spoiler!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well done on the double mate and in a breathtaking final too!

What jobs are currently available which interest you (and Lou)?

vCash
    Well done on the double mate and in a breathtaking final too!

What jobs are currently available which interest you (and Lou)?
    That's all up to Lou. Nothing concrete atm on the Horizon, but hey! I think I deserve a little break!

vCash

Chapter Two:
    - The Search of Application -

With Lou now my agent, it meant that once I had packed my suitcases, I could sit back and wait for the job offers to come my way. A ‘hot commodity’, as Lou put it, meant to me that I wouldn’t be unemployed for long.

Expecting a few weeks off as a holiday, it turned out to be six weeks instead until I received a phone call from my agent about a job offer. Luckily I had a World Cup to damp my football appetite.

It was only the group stages I was able to watch, but it was entertaining to tell the truth. The shocks of China going through as Brazil finished last in their group, South Korea going through as a disappointing Portugal were sent home as well as England, after losing to second place Nigeria and star striker Michael Owens injured for 6 months!

Before the Second Round started, however, I heard the long awaited phone-call finally. My tenancy had ended, moving to a rolling one while waiting, and I living from clothes in my suitcase. Answering the phone, Lou was ever enthusiastic.

“Zanny-Boy, you silent bastard you! How are you doing? Enjoying your little break? Hope your not chasing too many skirts, you’ve got a reputation to uphold!”

ZanSnake:
    Just been sat and waiting to hear about my new prestigious job. You know, you implied that their would be some big named teams after me, but the phone’s been cold for the last six weeks, Lou.

“Hey! Don’t put that B.S. on me, Zanny. I’ve been working out kinks to make sure we can get you there. You’ve shown your a young gun, really to blow up! I’m gonna get you to the big time, the shtick to be seen in the back stages of national newspapers! But, you gotta do what you did in Wales.”

ZanSnake: And what is that necessarily, Lou?

“To be the best son of a gun around, Zanny. Speaking of which, you’ve got a plane to catch!”

Arriving at the airport, I was able just to grab the flight Lou had told me to grab. The destination was Leon Airport in Spain, where Lou would be waiting for me to introduce me to my new possible bosses.

The four hour flight was an anxious affair as I kept wondering what Spanish teams could be awaiting me. Though there was no major public firings been reported in the major nations – Bury being the biggest club to my eyes – the thought of being lined up for a pre-fired manager due to my ‘hot fire’ would be amazing!

Arriving at the airport, I was able to pass customs and soon found myself trying to remember what the person who was going to pick me up looked like. It had been nearly a decade since Lou Roll managed the career of my mother and father, battling the divide after the public divorce, he kept signed to both. That was until he saw them as ‘collateral’ and let them in the muck, my mum on her way to the asylum after a mental breakdown and my father deluded into thinking he was the ‘Next Big Thing’ in wrestling….

But, I have to remember that when they were in the spotlight, Lou made sure they stayed there for as long as possible. Coaching them in the public spot-light, harnessing the gimmicks to the Press and what would be the best next steps for their careers. Indeed, it was worth the risk!

And as I thought to myself outside the airport in the burning Spanish heat, a red Mustang came approaching beeping away as it came closer.

It was a 1988 Ford Mustang, the same one my father bought for him after he won an award – the name of which blanks me – and was seen as a prized possession even back them for the plucky small man.

And as soon as he pulled up, his appearance was a quick remember. Lou Roll, Agent of the Stars, Stars-to-be and Post-Supernovas.

”Zanny-Boi! Loving this heat? Bit too much for me personally, showing me spots where I didn’t think I man shouldn’t sweat! Get in, gotta be quick. Hour-long trip and we are already a half hour late.”

Without a single word spoken to one another, we were off to where my future career would be playing out at.

With beautiful sights around me, I started to look around the new place I would be calling home for the immediate future. Being only an hour away from the recently opened Leon Airport – opened in just 1999 – it looked a great spot for any European travel!

But with only 10,000 people living here, I was thinking maybe the club would be bringing in players around the area. A short tour should a nice looking former Roman town, with the Parish Church of San Pedro Apóstol being the main staplemate of the beautiful design of the town.

Having a passing view – and disccusion with my driver – I started to think that I wasn’t about to land a high profile, elite club, but rather a more lower level club. My heart beat started to rise as we came to the staduim.

**In game the stadium is Los Juncos, the stadium the team moved out of in 1999 for their current stadium. To make it easier I have decided to use their current stadium but with in game information**

Soon we had arrived at the club’s stadium, Estadio La Devesa*, a 2,000 capacity stadium that had a running track outside the pitch. Though it was 500 less than the one I had working with in Port Talbot, I couldn’t hope but wait that maybe the team would still be a more inherited team than the Welsh side I had turned into Champions.

Indeed it wasn’t as I introduced Club Atlético Bembibre, a Segunda Division B side that had only just got promoted last season for the fist time in their history. A feat shocking since the club had been formed in 1922, with over 25 years in the Tercera Division since their acceptance into the league in 1966 it seems it is the perfect time for the club to start to push up the leagues.

Though I was at first hesitant to agree with another project, Lou had started to show his understanding why it would be the perfect opportunity for me.

“You are coming from a one division nation, to a chance to build a legacy! You built a tremendous team in Wales, but they weren’t tested, Zanny-Boi! You demolished them! Here, you face the youths of the big teams: Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia! You have a chance to be a face in the crowd, and when you win something – yes, when – you can take shot at the higher ups!”

Lou was speaking some sort of season. Here I could go for promotions and cups, I could push for bigger teams after building a reputation. Spain was my oyster.

“Plus Zanny, the Silence shtick would just be apart of the job. You don’t speak Spanish, but they wouldn’t know! We will bring their spotlight to this corner of the woods, and show ‘em where the bear had shat!”

With a cigar smoking in his mouth, I finally agreed – though to mostly shut him up.

I then went straight into review mode, trying to gather what I was working with for the forthcoming season. The first of which was the absence of a chairman or owner to speak too, which I also learnt I did have three staff members however, as I did at Port Talbot Town, it was one coach, one scout and one physio.

With that out of the way, Lou let me know that due to the club’s small stature it would be most likely going to be via email that I would be dealing with board. He said it was akin to a gathering coming together only at special times – a bit disheartening that my hiring wasn’t such a special time – and that it would be very unlikely i’ll ever meet a board member in person. But still, the expectation was noted:

A common sense goal for a team just promoted!

To help towards this, there was a little kitty in the bank to help. Not too much to bank roll a massive redevelopment, but something to work with.

And by looking at the actual team, I could see myself taking a few out of the kitty to try and amass an actual team. At Port Talbot Town, I had 28 players to work with initially, at Bembibre I had 3.

The major player was striker Alberto, a 31 year-old who looks like he could rip up the league after scoring 17 goals in 37 games (assisting 15 too) last season, I would be hoping that with some support he can redo that form in my debut season.

With still enough left in his legs, he could fire himself into first choice for the next couple of years, or just a second choice to what I can gather.

The other two players are both young players who don’t offer anything to the team, with only Corral possibly being around as a last option. But still, a large amount of recruitment would be need to make this team to the standard I would be pleased with.

A long-term project, or enough to get me famous for a bigger job – I had some work to do!
    Last edited by ZanSnake; 09-08-19 at 05:57 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just start reading this from the start (I'm upto Christmas season 1).

Some great results to get you're boys into contention. It looks as if you've now got the momentum

I don't think I've ever seen a 22 year old player coach before.
    I do love how the big name stars (Adams, Gerasimov) are happy to goto a diddy team and work for peanuts. (my current fave is Roy Keane who will join almost anyone)
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Just start reading this from the start (I'm upto Christmas season 1).

Some great results to get you're boys into contention. It looks as if you've now got the momentum

I don't think I've ever seen a 22 year old player coach before.
    I do love how the big name stars (Adams, Gerasimov) are happy to goto a diddy team and work for peanuts. (my current fave is Roy Keane who will join almost anyone)

I just saw Adams available as an staff member and thought it was worth a punt, not at all expecting him to join

I had the same reaction, wasn't too bad either with the others that was 'interested' in joining. Gonna have a long career on him, though more as a coach then as a player

Really was about trying to find the right balance for the uneven squad TBF, once it clicked... Well you'll see

vCash
    I've just made it to the end of your 1st season. Fantastic double with Port Talbot and the 4-4-2 diamond certainly got the best from your boys.

I wonder if Marky Mark will be following you in your adventure

Is there a reason for resigning, rather than just applying for another job ?

vCash
    Well can't say I've heard of them

Some work to do to get a squad together but a nice bonus you've some money to spend, I don't know about the club's rep for attracting players, but there are some bargains to be had in the Spanish and Portuguese lower leagues I find. Expecting big things from Alberto though!

By the way is your dad Brock Lesnar?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I've just made it to the end of your 1st season. Fantastic double with Port Talbot and the 4-4-2 diamond certainly got the best from your boys.

I wonder if Marky Mark will be following you in your adventure

Is there a reason for resigning, rather than just applying for another job ?
    Would love to bring some of the lads with me

Dunno if Division B would be good enough.

Thought it would be best to start anew after doing so well in debut season, if I resigned just felt more like a step to move on then applying while still employed.
    Well can't say I've heard of them

Some work to do to get a squad together but a nice bonus you've some money to spend, I don't know about the club's rep for attracting players, but there are some bargains to be had in the Spanish and Portuguese lower leagues I find. Expecting big things from Alberto though!

By the way is your dad Brock Lesnar?
    Have no reserves so expect alot of youngsters Hoping Alberto can start off with a bang, think it would be key to finding a formation and an eleven etc.

Whose to say that Brock wasn't really the Next Next Big Thing

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Still catching up. You have just won the title with Port Talbot
    An amazing change of fortunes for the second part of the season. That diamond formation certainly worked for you.
    What a shame that the unbeaten run had to end when you could have sealed the title. Just delayed the inevitable.
    Fingers crossed for the double

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash

Chapter Two:
    - Building an Armada -

Inheriting a team with only three players would allow me to completely build an army that I thought would be best with next to little deadwood. Though with no significant reserve squad at the team, it meant I would be recruiting my future youth prospects within the first team.

Options would be a great addition, especially as I was starting from scratch one again. Tactics, transfers and even a finding home, would be the goal for the next few weeks as the World Cup fever sang strongly in the streets.

With some money saved up from my stint in Wales, and with a little signing on fee from signing my 3 year contract, it was time for a little property hunting!

It was hard to find an easy enough property in the immediate area as due to the historic nature of the town of Bembibre, rent was significantly here then what I was used to in the United Kingdom. Look a further afoot, and seriously upping my price range, I was able to find a small historic cottage in a town over in Ponferrada.

Though a little distinguished in it’s shade of yellow, a seasonal rent which I was able to secure for a year – at least for now – I couldn’t complain. A 20 minute drive away from the stadium, the cottage had everything I would need, including an outside with a porch and a dining area – plus a barbecue!

With a place to call my temporary home, it was time to out my head straight to business and build myself a little armada!

As I went into a recruitment mode, the World Cup was still in full swing. After the group stages saw major teams like England and Brazil fail to progress further then people expected, it was major question who would be favourites for the Cup.

Though no major shocks occurred in the Second Round, it was Spain who was gaining the momentum with a 5-0 thrashing over Costa Rica in the Quarter Final. Croatia was the surprising bunch as they thrived also, winning 1-3 against Cameroon.

Raul had been the Player of the Tournament so far with 5 goals already though the stages, but just couldn’t add another goal against Italy as it ended in a stalemate. Spain was able to just get by on Penalties however, despite missing there first two in the shoot-out!

But it was again Croatia that shocked the World as they knocked out the current champions France with a 2-0 display. Organised, disciplined and hard to break down, they gained two goal in five minutes in the first half and held on till the final minutes of the game.

For the first time ever, Croatia and Spain had made it the Final of the World Cup!

The final was a tense affair with both teams determined to make a case for this historic occasion. Both wanting to see their nation become the best in the world, and Croatia thought they did early on as they scored in just shy of 2 minutes, only to be ruled offside by the pesky assistant !

Morientes had the closest chance for Spain as his header earned a decent save from the Croatian goal keeper to make sure the first-half would end as a stalemate.

The deadlock did come in the second half though, and it had to be the one man who missed Croatia’s last surprising hurrah in international competitions, Alek Boksic.

A superb play of partnering forwards with Suker, allowed Boksic to smash in the winning goal. The man who had made is first appearance at the competition at the age of 32, scored in the final. With many maintaining that if both Suker and Boksic played together in France 1998, they could’ve crafted a pivotal striker force and they had showed it when it truly mattered.

Spain didn’t go out empty handed, though not including the Runners-Up medal of course, as Raul’s terrific form in front of goal in the group stages won him the Golden Boot winner, and had three players in the World Cup Dream Team.

Though, Croatia had none…

With the World Cup just shortly behind us, it was time to get back to business in the Runners-Up nation as our preseason came to a start. The major thing, however, was to build a side to even compete whomever the board had aligned.

For that I made over 39 signings, some sales thanks to some wheeling and dealing, and some additional staff members coming in. Though it was hardly going to be the final number, as there would be numerous in-goings and out to build a fully fledge team, I had a firm idea of some signings who I had made early on who would be possible starters.

Jose Joaquin Melgar, or more now known by the nickname Mel is an experienced goalkeeper who I signed for £12k from Linense – a ‘non-league’ side. A 34 year old, Mel wouldn’t be a long-term option, but someone who can hold between the sticks with some relative trustworthiness.

Left-back Cordo was another purchase for £5k from Avila, who looks set to be first choice left back. With great positioning and some decent attacking attributes, I hope that the 25 year-old can provide some decent options for attack on the left wing, though you might see he already has…

Sticking with the defence, it was young prospect Raul Santamaria, or now comically named just Santa, who had taken a shine to me after being found by our only scout Serrer. The 15 year-old already posses some decent attributes, and with some nice nurturing, I hoped can become a brilliant player for the club – and possible future clubs for me!

After finding Raul Torres last season and seeing how important he had became to Port Talbot Town in the DMC role, I had a failed bid for him. With the 442 diamond being my preferred formation for at least the next season, it was important to find the right anchor for the side. Luckily there was a certain Frenchman to call upon!

No Patrick Vieira, but Barket Bekrar who came in as a free after being released last season from Martigues. Having played 69 games in the last 3 season (only 3 of which came last season), Bekrar looks like a solid player for the anchor role and a dependable stop gap between attack and defence.

With the addition coming in hot and fast, before I knew it the friendly against non-league U.D. Alzira, it was time to build the team up for the first time in my trusty diamond.

Though not the final line up just yet with hopefully some more additions coming in, the testing ground proved to do wonders once more as we thrashed the away side 5-0 as Ged Kielty – played the Marky Mark role – scored a brace, giving a brightening glimpse of the possible future.

Keilty joined Port Talbot Town on loan as an option as a back up, playing only a single game in his short tenure there before I terminated the loan and he seemed eager to jump at the chance to player with me once more.

Alongside Kielty, was goals from Alberto, our star attacker, and Joaquin Roger, a youngster with impressing finishing but nothing else. But the man who made the match for himself was left-back Cordo with 2 assists and a solid defensive performance to match.

The second game came in a midst of more signings, though none as significant as the ones I had made before, trying to change as many players around to try and let all the players test themselves for the formation was difficult with certain players not close to fitness.

In the end only three players were kept in the starting line-ups from the last game as Cordo, German and Hugo continued to player. Allowing youngsters like Maldonado a chance to shine!

The opposition was another non-league club that the mysterious board had found called U.D. Orotava, with only three actual players, signed to a contract, the team was meant to be worse than our previous opponents.

It was a game of periods, even though we dominated the game with all of our 10 shots hitting the target, the young legs showed their inexperience. Foruntaltey it was former Port Talbot Town trialist Mikel Aramaio who broke the deadlock on the 23rd minute as he volleyed in from a Hugo cross.

Aramaio – christened Amarillo after the game – would be possible the third choice after being one of the few players in the bunch to experience actually game time in a league.

[B]Jose Carlos Murillo[/B, also known as Amurillo, scored the second only three minutes after. Though it could because of the Marky Mark position he was playing in rather than any talent for the 31-year-old last thought, as Hugo made his second perfect cross to be found.

Hugo was my versatile experienced winger, playing on either side, he earned a lot of respect from myself with his Man of the Match performances.

With the second half emerging with additional changes, it was a slow burner. Only one moment of interest was when Maldonado came off for Mark Yates.

Yates joined for £12k from Burton Albion after they were relegated out of the conference. A perfect back-up for the DMC role, the 32-year-old was dual rolling as a coach as the ‘big named’ coach I was looking for. Though he was only a replacement for someone I had already gotten, but went against me….

Yates came on and scored just 13 minutes later, for what was one of the only interesting minutes of the second half. The only other being the injury to defender German right at the end of the game….

In between the last friendly ad the last result, I was dabbing my hands in further into the transfer market. Among my Wheeling and Dealing©® was an eye being kept at my former club. Seeing an opportunity for a former player who was no longer in the first team plans, I decided to have a quick bid which was…

Accepted.

Imaging how brilliant he would do in this league and watching him develop into the potential class left back he could be, I started to get excited!

But unfortunately, Griffiths preferred the beach of Port Talbot to the culture of the Spanish Bembibre. With sadness in my heart for yet a failed attempt to reunite with a former Steeleman, it was back to the tragic world of transfers and football.

Damn you, Thomas Paul Griffiths.

My heartache was soon comforted by the real challenge of preseason against at ‘Reserve’ squad of a bigger team. But with an eye with the start of the official season only two days after, I decided to make a team that would show what manner of squad depth they would be. Back-up, rotation, or last resort.

The team was Eibar B who was in the league below us – as were Alaves B, Espanyol B, Leganes B, Oviedo B, Real Madrid B, Real Sociedad B, Sporting B, and Valencia B – and possesed players that were nearly triple the worth of ours.

Not to back down to the fight, I aligned my back-ups and marched onto our home soil to have a go with both barrels.

Expecting a defeat, or at least a frustrating game where we’ll have less possesion, I was seemingly surprised. It was us who was the dominant force. Drawing first blood from the Marky Mark-position as Yachou latched onto Yates pass, smashing the net with on 20 minutes played.

Yachou was playing his second game of preseason, and is the potential partner too Alberto if there isn’t a significant signing made to otherwise take his place. At 27 years old, he is a veteran member of the squad, although he has only played 5 games in his career so far.

Yachou wasn’t the only scorer in the frst half, as young Angel Munoz added a second after latching onto another youngsters cross, in the form of right winger Alfredo Savedra just five minutes after. Celebrations were cut short as Eibar B’s team stepped up to score an equaliser.

Once again our prayers for the lead was answered by an Angel…. Munoz as he scored again in what initially I thought would be the last action of the game, but once again the pesky Reserves side bagged another equaliser!

With the end of probably the best football the locals have ever seen at the stadium, I decided to ruin the action for the second half by making a rare tactical change to an attacking flat 4-4-2. Trying out something new really didn’t seem to work however, as instead of scoring – we ended up conceding.

A tough 3-3 draw was the last result of a successful preseason.

Transfers Overview

With an outline nearly settled for the upcoming season, I started to relook over my transfer dealings – which included the more standout players above – and many others, that either will get the odd games for development or to be sold in the future like a few had.

Code:
    ================================================================================================ 2002/3 Transfers ================================================================================================ Date Player In From Fee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.7.02 Ged Kielty Leigh RMI £4K 1.7.02 Cordo Ávila £5K 3.7.02 Pedro Oliveira Pedras Rubras Free 3.7.02 Miguel Ángel Moreno Free Transfer Free 3.7.02 Jordi De la Cruz Free Transfer Free 3.7.02 Federico Zanon Free Transfer Free 3.7.02 Amurillo Free Transfer Free 3.7.02 José Ramón Lago Free Transfer Free 3.7.02 José Luis Recio Free Transfer Free 3.7.02 Sotiris Karagiannis Free Transfer Free 3.7.02 Óscar Argüelles Free Transfer Free 3.7.02 Fernando Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Ricardo Maldonado Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Pasquale Manzani Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Alessandro Zanini Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Ángel Muñoz Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Pavlos Papadimitriou Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Dimitris Dimitropoulos Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Juan Antonio Izquierdo Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Santa Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Mamadou Bagayoko Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 David Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Armarillo Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Barket Bekrar Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 Rachide Yachou Free Transfer Free 4.7.02 José Luis Ribera Free Transfer Free 5.7.02 Joaquín Roger Free Transfer Free 5.7.02 Antonio Piñeiro Free Transfer Free 5.7.02 Jesús León Free Transfer Free 5.7.02 Hugo Free Transfer Free 5.7.02 Onésimo Free Transfer Free 5.7.02 Ramón Free Transfer Free 6.7.02 Pedro Ibáñez Free Transfer Free 6.7.02 Donato Deportivo £140K 6.7.02 Raúl Román Free Transfer Free 6.7.02 Adolfo Aldana Free Transfer Free 7.7.02 Jorge Barrena Jerez £7K 7.7.02 Alfredo Saavedra Free Transfer Free 8.7.02 Carlos Santos Free Transfer Free 13.7.02 Mel Linense £12K 14.7.02 José Palmero Free Transfer Free 15.7.02 Jürgen Ndjeng Free Transfer Free 15.7.02 Robert Rosario Free Transfer Free 16.7.02 Francisco Javier Lago Free Transfer Free 23.7.02 Germán Free Transfer Free 29.7.02 Vincent Baret Free Transfer Free 1.8.02 Miguel Ángel Borrás Free Transfer Free 5.8.02 Mark Yates Burton Albion £12K 11.8.02 Marino Browaeys Wevelgem £10K 12.8.02 Litos Varzim £35K 13.8.02 Damián Marcelo Manusovich Free Transfer Free 14.8.02 Jörg Maier Free Transfer Free 19.8.02 Dimitri Cordier Free Transfer Free 19.8.02 Björn Kriegshäuser Neunkirchen £80K 20.8.02 Lee Riddell Melilla Loan 21.8.02 Sequeira Taipas £5K
    But we did make quite a lot of money from sales, which allowed me to come back to some certain targets. Though having the players at the club for a short amount of time, none really left an impression with me except one: Mamadou Bagayoko. A 23-year-old DM R/C he could’ve been the long-term choice for the DMC role and a very adequate second choice, But with more options coming in, such as Yates, Maldonado (whose 16), Fernando (a D/DMC), it made more sense to take the cash and use it elsewhere.

Code:
    Date Player Out To Fee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 11.7.02 Héctor Corral Jumilla £20K 11.7.02 Ramón Rodríguez Novelda £12K 27.7.02 Dimitris Dimitropoulos Fostiras £14K 28.7.02 Sotiris Karagiannis Betanzos £30K 4.8.02 Donato Released Free 9.8.02 Alessandro Zanini Almería £20K 13.8.02 Pavlos Papadimitriou Athinaikos £30K 14.8.02 Jürgen Ndjeng Reutlingen £26K 18.8.02 Raúl Román Logroñés £24K 18.8.02 Mamadou Bagayoko Radnicki (P) £30K 19.8.02 José Palmero Béjar Ind. £24K 19.8.02 José Ramón Lago Huesca £9K 20.8.02 Vincent Baret Chantrea £18K

Staff Overview

Inheriting a team with one coach, scout and physio wasn’t too bad. But what was, was trying to find people interested to join the club. Luckily I was able to enhance the numbers, but some weren’t as good as I thought it would be.

Player/Assistant Manager Jose Luis Ribera was an awful player but an alright option as number too. Nothing too specifically great, say as my assistant in Wales, but it was my first staff signing at the club.

Coach Adolfo Aldana was a better signing, and as a former Spanish international, it helped with prestige!

With three new additions in coaching, I didn’t want to many bad options. And I didn’t want to feel out of place too. Along side the appointment of Onesimo also, I had Yates and Robert Rosario come in for some English speakers.

Overall, I had a full backroom with a full team ready, but still I wanted something more….

Something More….

Spoiler!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Alot of new players, a lot to show, hoping to at least be able to show most off over the season; and in a good light.

Started writing the next update so hopefully wont be long over-due like this one, guess you can say i have left time for Kingsley to catch up

Any players you want to specifically see, let me know and any opinions on the red colour? Trying to match the team colours with the text each club, but will stop if just upsetting peoples eyes

vCash
    Up to date

Bermbire. Never heard of them, but why should that stop you.

Good wheeling and dealing to get players on a free then sell them for cash a few days later

29 (?) is quite a big squad when you don't have a reserve team. It should give you plenty of options. The new recruits are a bit of a mixed bag, but you don't know who is going to star (other than the Marky Mark role) until the season gets going.

vCash
    Good to see Marky Mark signed, I like the look of Bekrar too! Not sure on the two full back you mentioned though, they may have decent positioning but I don't know how good that is when both are terrible at tackling

vCash
    Chapter Two:
    - Setting the Pace -

With the recruitment period in the back mirror, it was time to settle into the season and really test how well the team could gel together. With the additions of young, present and experienced, I hope that the mixture would mean we could push for promotion.

With my new surprise as well, it all just build up my debut as the manager. My first opponents wasn’t an easy one either, being the winner of the league last season (though not promoted?) U.D. Pájara Playas de Jandia away it would be the best way to showcase our standing for the rest of the season early.

From our preseason there was a few familiar faces: Mel, Kiety, Alberto, Bekrar, Cordo, and Fernando were given the first team duties. Veteran Mel was the mouthpiece of the team so would be our acting captain for the season, with the injured German being the planned vice-captain, but being replaced by one of two late signings coming in.

Dmitiri Cordier was a scout find, at the young age of 16, he seemed a great option for the long-term as well as good enough in a depleted position as back-up. The other player was Björn Kriegshäuser who joined for a record £80k from German side Borussia Neunkirchen, a solid choice for the right wing as well as another choice for the Marky-Mark role.

Speaking of Marky Mark, as one of the biggest earners at the club, I am hoping for a lot from him. Partnering him up-front with Alberto, I am hoping that he could be prolific as well as unselfish as Kiety continue his fine form from preseason in the role behind.

With the lads lined up, it was all about the game plan. Attack, attack, attack!

And for the foremost, that was what we were doing!

Breaking the deadlock first with only 12 minutes played, Kiety found left midfielder Ramón with a perfect lofted pass which was met with a nice header into the back of the net!

The subsequent lead didn’t last long, however, as the pesky home side found their noses back into the game with a great strike on the half hour mark from a brilliant set piece.

Both sides searched for the illusive second but it wasn’t meant to be, even though we were the closest time and time again. Alberto was continuously denied by Gaitán, their goalkeeper, who kept up his denying to essentially super-keeper us.

16 shots on goal all game, 13 of which on target, it was frustrating to be denied the clear 3 points in the debut game, but I had to move on.

With a disappointing debut against Pájara Playas - thanks to a super keeper performance – it was time for my home debut against solid side Béjar Industrial, who had won their first game of the season. Expecting another solid performance, I made no changes from the line-up that started in the first game.

It was a wise decision, as not even 10 minutes in Alberto had scored his first goal of the season. He was followed by three more players that wanted to open their accounts for the season, them being Kielty, Fernando and Marky Mark which made the 4-1 win even better to take.

Hoping for back-to-back wins, only one change occurred as Hugo was called in on the right of the midfield as I searched for a more potent threat after the right hand side seemed the lesser kind in previous games. A.D. Ceuta were the hosts, who had one win and one loss so far, seemed eager to drawn out the game and it was another super keeper performance as we were once again frustrated to a 0-0 dull draw.

With Ramón injured with strained knee ligaments in the last game, 18 year old Juan Antonio Izquierdo was called up for his debut performance against struggling U.D. Lanzarote who hadn’t won yet and seemed destined for a relegation battle. At home, we weren’t helping scoring 3 before half-time as Fernando, Marky Mark and Alberto bagged in the goals. Misery kept coming for the away side as they were down to ten minutes into the second half after centre-back Josep Blanquera headbutted Hugo. Alberto added a second with 5 minutes left for a 4-0 thrashing.

Another unchanged side for the travelling game against Ciudad de Murcia, who sat in the relegation zone, and who offered not a single chance all game. Though we weren’t any better as only Izquierdo was able to take a chance to score in a 1-0 win, thought it was nice to see Marky Mark grab the assist.

An undefeated introduction to the league with 5 games in, it makes us sit just behind 1st place in Group 4 by a single point and have the best defence in the league so far. Though we only played one of the few teams in the upper table so far, I was pleased by the teams performances so far!

On the Marky Mark watch, he has settled in well into the team and has taken an active role in his left striker role. 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 games is a nice start, and very reminscent to the form he was showing in Wales.

With momentum on our side, I couldn’t wait to see how long our undefeated streak could continue and if we could push on for the top spot. Both aspirations were deemed non-compatible in our next game.

At home against 5th placed Motril it was a battle for promotion battlers, but in reality there was one clear winner. A poor performance from captain Mel gifted the away side the lead twice as Orife scored twice in the first half to take the advantage, despite Alberto getting one back. Another scrape back when Motril’s centre back Pía scored an own goal and Alberto had a goal cruelly disallowed before Piti pushed the sword in deeper with a lst minute goal to gift our first 2-3 defeat of the season.

We didn’t stress however, looking to bounce back as soon as we could. Ramón and Germán coming into the side, I hoped they could be the difference makers as we faced Betis B who have some impressive attacking players…

Away from home I expected a tough game, but the lads seemed determined to show me up. With a goal up within 10 minutes, Alberto scoring once again, we were handed a life line when there right midfielder went into Marky Mark with two feet. Down to ten men, they endured a goal bananza. Kielty scored the second, Marky Mark grabbed one for himself before Alberto got a little selfish and scored a brace within the dying minutes to seal his hat-trick. Despite having a score of 5-0 at half time, we couldn’t add any-more in the second half and walked away pleased with our bounce back.

The win made us move up a spot on the table to 5th, which made our next game be a promotion home-based showdown with 6th placed Díter Zafra. A team with a solid foundation, they had recruited well to finish 3rd last season but couldn’t get promoted. They also caught us out early with an early goal from young striker Monti, which set the tone of the game. On edge, I watched with my heart in my mouth as we wasted chances to equalise. Thankfully, Marky Mark got one back with fifteen minutes to player to ease some tensions, but they were sank further after substitute Armarillo had a late goal disallowed…

The 1-1 draw allowed the away side to jump is into 4th on goal difference while all we could was wave our fists demanding that we will avenge the missed chances for all three points.

Half way through October meant there was a lot of managerial changes throughout the country, and that meaning in our own division. Though not effecting myself, or my team, one new appointment did make me feel a bit intrigued into the new hirings as Group 2’s S.D. Beasaín appointed a young former Barcelona player…

One year after a less than terrific year in Roma, Josep decided to start as a player/manager at the age of just 31. Though not desirable as a manager at the moment, he certainly had something to offer as a player still!

On a whooping £60k a week contract for 3 years, I am guessing he’ll be okay to start so low!

My short intermission between matches was soon awaken by the principle of facing a Second Division relegated side, that was underperforming. Needing only one decent performance to fire up their side, and we were in their sights…

Las Palmas had exceptional players that had underperform last season, and I would expect over-perform this season. What was written as a possible easy home victory, we made it diffult. As written in the script, Las Palmas did take the lead half-an-hour in, but we held on till the last minutes to score an equaliser Marky Mark found young right midfielder Jesús León who slotted in a low, hard shot which went into the back of the net! Las Palmas wouldn’t let us celebrate however, as their striker found the back of the net in the last second to deny us a point and earned a 1-2 away loss for our second of the season.

Never one, again, to back down from defeat we charged into the next game with eyes for vengance.

With the same set-up, we hosted relegation battlers Dos Hermanas with the intention of gaining a 5th victory in 10 games. It didnt take long for us to gain the upper hand. Kielty, who had been lively all game, was found by Ramón for earned his 5th assist as Kielty drove the ball into the back of the net with a low shot.

It was a steady pace between the both of us, racking up chances for either end of the goal. Luckily it was us who scored the second, with the main man being the one who stepped up!

Another beautiful display on the left side, which saw Cordo doing all the work before a cross into the area where a certain Marky Mark beat the on-rushing goalkeeper to header in his 5th of the season!

A clinical 2-0 win saw us set ourselves for a nice little chance at promotion.

Sitting 5th with only a point difference between ourselves and 3rd, it was the perfect position for us to set ourselves to either go for promotion or to improve for a high mid-table finish in the long run.

There was a lot of positives in terms of the team’s performances too. The partnership of Marky Mark and Alberto saw them score 13 goals comined in the last 10 games. Ramón took the left midfielder position for himself, which the right was up for debate still.

Though young prospect Jesús León had made a claim recently for the role with some solid performances as of late, but we had many other options available.

With some time to break come the end of October, I was able to finally some down time with my new home town. Checking out the nearest attractions, I was drawn to the Castillo de los Templarios, or known as Templar Castle, which is a historic Roman castle.

But as I travelled around the amazing grounds, I heard a familiar voice...

“You know, where I am from you can do what ever you like! None of this Communistic policing!”

Soon, some security came past escorting a person I knew so well in an unusual attire…

“Zanny-boy! You can help me, tell these fascists I am a legit businessman of the stars, just trying to restart a dying flame!”

In my confusion, I shook my head and feigned any knowledge, watching him be dragged away. I walked back towards the castle, to see some sort of wrestling ring and a make-shift Hifi system, with an announcer about to introduce a certain wrestler.

“Damas y caballeros. ¡Bienvenidos desde Inglaterra! El ex campeón del mundo y ganador del Oscar, Big Mac Snake!”

Knowing the last few words only, I ran away as far as I could. Now knowing that he was in the same area as me was not good…

Nor for me, not for my father…

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Oh er ... The plot thickens

Sep

I think you are playing better than the results you are getting. I hope they turn around, as with the best attack and close to best defense you should be at or near the top.

vCash
    It's a tight league but as Kingsley says with your record for goals scored and against I'm sure in time you'll be further near the top.

Guardiola should beast that league if he decides to play himself

vCash
    Chapter Two:
    - Pushing On -

With a decent start to the season, it was time to look at the long run. A push on with the season to see what we could make for ourselves, and if we can achieve the potential had already shown.

With ten games played already, we had shown to have one of the best attacking starts to the season and with one of the best defensive shifts too, it seems that we would at least be aiming for a decent finish. Hopefully, pushing for a promotion spot.

November

After continuing on our brilliant performances from September into October, I was looking for more of the same. Marky Mark has had more then enough time to become adjusted to his teammates by now, and Alberto looks set to be continue his goalscoring threat from last season.

442 Diamond still in effect and the results still came. Kielty was pushed to the right hand side after León had some horror displays in first two games. Luckily, both Marky Mark and Alberto were alert, scoring in each game respectively to make sure we didn’t drop any points.

With his switch to the right, I worried at first that it might negatively change his form. But instead it was a decision of genius! Assist in all the games following, as well as the Man of the Match, Kielty definitely helped improved our performances better on the wing then in second striker.

17 goals between both Marky Mark and Alberto so far this season, and with the addition of Kielty recent assistance making even more deadlier chances; we had earmarked ourselves into the Promotion spots. The atmosphere in the club was solid, especially as I am trying to allow younger players to come off the bench.

As we started to gel as a team, I started to learn more about my back-room staff as well. One in particular was one of my coaches, Robert Rosario, who I learned had more about him then some decent coaching talent.

(Rosario’s history in spoiler below)
    Spoiler!

Learning Rosario’s past made me overthink about how our careers in football can be defined by certain aspects. With all he had done in his career, one Norwich fan recalled: “Rosario's first touch was somehow worst than his second. Which was his shot.”

December

December has always been a festive wasteland for myself and my family. It was either me alone, with some ‘friends’ or ‘associates’ or me being used as a tool to be pulled one way to another through a gruelling dual of competition.

No comment on that tragic nativity play, that haunted me for over a decade…

But, anyway, if I was to ever feel the festive cheer, it would be against our first opponents U.D. Melilla who had gained a great under helping to over take us with a few more wins and some impressive results.

Confident with the ever-present strong partnership of Marky Mark and Alberto, it is an unchanged side walking out the tunnel.

Unfortunately, Alberto decided this was the day he would have a little natter with someone in the stands then be an effective attacker, which the opposition decided against. Within five minutes the away side had the lead through Thierry from a decent set-piece routine.

With an instant return being sought after, Melilla just went with the punches and waited for the perfect moment to counter. That came 33rd minute, young winger Andoni Marín collected the ball and moved forward with way too much time to then analyze, discuss and then cross the ball for Mariano to score the finishing blow.

They stepped back, knowing we would be chasing and dealt well with any chances our way. A frustrating performance with all our other results in the last month.

[/i]“What’s the best position to play if you don’t like football?”

“Right back – right back in the changing rooms…”[/i]

A little joke to chill the air before the next game caused a resurgence in the lads – or so I would take credit for – in the last 3 games before the Christmas break. With 9 goals and only 2 conceded, it was the dominance I had hoped to be shown against Mellila.

It all commenced with a 2-4 thrashing against Sevilla B, with Kielty being the composer and Marky Mark being the star instrumentalist with a brace. His goal exploits followed in the 2-0 home win against Corralejo, with a rare goal from defensive midfield Bekrar also scoring.

It was a 0-3 away thrashing that gifted the fans a Christmas cheer. Both full-backs getting applaudance, with right back Barrena getting two assists and Cordo getting a goal. Though, for some reason, Ged Kielty got the Man of the Match once more.

With a surging run as of late, it left us 2nd in the table as we had our winter break. Equal points with Mellila, with only a +3 goal difference between us, it was more than I was expecting this earlier in my Bembibre career!

With half a season into my tenure, and with drunken festive Spanish neighbours around me, I had time to reflect on the players I had brought in and see who had made the best impact.

Cordo was lighting up at left-back, with a 75% passing rate and a 6.0 tackling average (not bad for someone with 2 tackling) he was a consistent before in the side with a hat-trick of 9 Match Ratings in as many games!

A star signing when he came into the club, DMC Barket Bekrar has been nothing but a star player so far this season. Not a goalscorer, or even a player-maker, Bekrar consistently has a good game this season in 17 games. With not even a single game to moan about, he’s made the holding role his own!

As a player I brought in as cover as a loanee in Wales, Kielty couldn’t make a chance due to the terrific form of the other players. When he had the chance to sign for me for a second chance, he took the chance and this time he made sure there was no doubt! Our star in either the AMC role or on the right wing, Kielty has been a consistent performer.

4 goals and 8 assists, only Marky Mark and Alberto has created more goals so far this season then Kielty! A £4k investment I feel has already been rectified…

Alberto and Marky Mark.

What could I say more?

22 goals, 4 assists,2 Man of the Match awards in 18 games! Both kept there form from last season raring on and shooting us up the table! Long may it continue!

As the microwave meal and the foreign TV shows warmed me up over Christmas, I felt somewhat reminiscent over the holidays and decided to have a little look over to my former club.

The double winning squad had taken on former St Johnstone manager Billy Stark as my replacement, who had been sacked four months before. And with no changes, it was a surprise that the team had continued their dominance despite their manager and top player no longer being there.

With just a single loss in the league, they sat atop the table with a five point advantage. Plus they qualified top of their Premier Cup Group and was still chasing the Welsh Cup, Stark could be chasing a treble!

With a flat back 442, it was Thomas and Thompson still charging the attack. A partnership that never flourish for myself; Stark had them scoring free-flow this season!

35 goals in 30 games is an excellent partnership display, making me somewhat jealous that I couldn’t get them to reflect that kind of performances for myself!

Though it was someone else that shocked me, as a DML was now playing the ML role and doing exceptionally well…

I never thought of Daniel Slatter as nothing more then a left back, and this season he had shown so much more promise further forward. Crafting 18 assists on the flank, he looks like a rejuvenated player this season – after only being a bit part for me with only 5 performances.

The New Year settled in, and with it came the final stretch for the season. But before we could even think of the happy days of summer, there was the month of January to start it all off with. A month break in between the two sets of games, I hoped it would be all the same from the get go and no one would be hung-over from the festive break.

A routine 3-0 home win started off the New Year with fine form, continued with an intense 1-0 against Pájara Playas who had held onto for the 1-1 draw back in August. Throughout the season so far I had avoided any serious injuries, and with such a small squad it was important to avoid them as much as we could.

But, after a perfect half-time performance against Béjar Ind. which saw us 0-3 up by half-time with Marky Mark, Alberto and defender Fernando grabbing the goals. After the first half, I expected more in the second, but instead I saw both of my centre-backs forced to come ff with injuries….

The news came through that they would be both out for 3 weeks and a month, which wasn’t too bad as I had enough back up.

BUT then my back-ups got injured! Lago strained his groin in training so would be 2 weeks out, and then youngster Recio suffered a damage heel, ruled out for 10 days. That means I would have only one fully fit centre back for the next two games…. Not ideal….

Continuing our perfect form into the New Year, our standing was the same still in the table. Melilla still had the advantage, as we gained a five point difference with 3rd place Motril.

Though it was nice with the football on the field, and to continue the push for the top spot in the table, it was also time to try and get rid of some deadwood from the team. After establishing an idea for the first team, I needed to try and rake in as much money from the players who wasn’t in my plans.

This meant that some players would be moved on as soon as possible as I started to turn my head towards the summer for more additions to the squad. That meant that 6 players left the club during January, 4 of which were paid for.

Sequeira – a back up AMC – moved to Cueta for £14k with us getting 10% of the next transfer fee. At 31 year old, the Potugese midfielder wouldn’t make the cut as any decent option with the form of Yachou – a forward playing currently in that role – and Kielty possibly there. A £14k fee was nearly triple the amount we paid in the summer, earning a big profit.

And the same could be said for Borrás, Piñeiro and Muñoz who all joined for free in the summer, leaving for a combined £69k before the end of the window. Only Muñoz was without the 10% of future fees due to the late nature of the sale, but still made enough to see us gain over £350k from sales so far this season.

All things going to plan, it seemed we were facing the same fortune as my season at Port Talbot had been. A slow start gathering a style and an identity, to only then push on strength to strength to the league title!

Only the future would know, but nonetheless my eyes were set on glory once again….

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Is that 6 successful tackles on average per game for Cordo?

Great couple of months with the loss to Melilla the only sour note, to be 2nd though at this stage is a great achievement. With Alberto and Marky Mark on fire, with Kielty putting the ball on a plate for them the future looks bright.

Always good to see a former club performing well after you've left, Slatter, Thompson and Thomas are actually putting your trio to shame with their stats

100% record for January, just a shame about all the injuries, no surprise you took to the transfer market as well as cash in on some players surplus to requirements, let's hope it doesn't leave you short on numbers for the rest of the season.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast