vCash

The Journey Manager - A side story by ZanSnake

Distance Travelled:
    (Shepshed to Port Talbot) 179.5 m
    (Port Talbot to Bembibre) 1,260 m
    Total: 1,439.5 m
    Number of Countries Worked: 2
    Number of Clubs Worked: 2

A side career that sees myself going from country to country, trying to mould a successive career within 18 years. No cheat tactics, .98 database with a hopeful adherence away from known players.

Idea is to apply for a new job after a title or cup win, aiming for a bigger club each time and seeing how succesful I can become by the time the story started, would I be a Jose or a Pardew?

I started the save from Cambridge United and resigned immediately, in order to properly start from a 'rookie' role.

Hoping to update frequently.

Last edited by ZanSnake; 29-12-18 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Updated

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Chapter One
    - The Process of Application -

After a coaching gig at my local non-league team, it was time for us to separate – it was clear that we had both gone as far as we could. Though the club may be no more, I got my CV all shiny and loaded up the old PC.

A mass email exodus to a variant of football clubs who had jobs applications free, and my new chapter as a manager would start. But, only I didn’t know the location or nation it would be….

I applied for every single football manager job available, though realistically – I am never going to manage a top-tier side like Real Madrid (though there wasn’t a vacancy) straight off the bat! Even if I applied for a few international jobs, it was the smaller roles – China, Paraguay…

I sat next to my phone waiting for the anticipated call, hoping it would be from a nice coast side town or city…

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Chapter One
    - Journey Start -

It had taken only one week since my exodus of applications got a response. The response was a semi-professional Welsh side called Port Talbot. Nestled within the bottom of South Wales, the small town has built it’s reputation for the Port Talbot Steelworks – one of the biggest in the world – as is estimated as 10% of town’s populations employers.

Sat on the eastern rim of the Swansea Bay, the town is indeed coast side with a popular 3 mile beach called Aberavon Sands. The high tides are keenly popular with surfers, which is good to know.

The town actually homes two Welsh Premier Division sides, Port Talbot Town and close rivals Afan Lido. The two teams are actually situated less than half a mile away, offering a nice healthy extra competition.

But before I could get carried away, I had to do the interview with the chairman Andrew Edwards.

Edwards: Mr. Snake, it’s bloody great to meet ya! Welcome to Port Talbot, hope the drive wasn’t too hellish.

It was 3 hour drive from my former home in England to the coast side, but if it all worked out, it would be worth it. The interview was fairly typical line of questioning, all relative to football.

What is your plans for the club? Where do you see us in five years?

It seemed, despite it all being within the footballing sphere, the interview stage was all the same. Which was good for me. Charming away, Edwards finally got to the details he hadn’t explained yet. The club had already told me there expectations, which was to attain a respectable league position – and any wins over our local rivals would come with an incentive.

Then came the gritty details, firstly the finances. It seemed that if I was with the job, I would have no money to work with and, at the current moment, the team was working at a loss with only a small margin of profit. I am no accountant, but that wasn’t something I would want for a long term.

A quick break down showed the team I would be working with…

A squad of already 28 players – one prospect already signing on a rolling contract – with a mid-twenties average age, it meant the squad could be either rather young with a few oldies with experience, or there was a lot of middle twenty year old. Though this guess went with the oldest player being 39 year old Gary Wager.

The interview started to conclude with a tour of the stadium, Victoria Road. The stadium has a capacity of 2,500 with 262 being seated, but the club has had a history of failing to full the stadium with only an average of 240 coming to home games since 1994.

Something worrying, though I was going to hope if I made a successful tenure here, then maybe I could break that record.

Edwards: Well Mr Snake, I can safely say you’ve made an impression with me. Though I can’t officially offer the job without going to the board, I am going to say you will have my full recommendation if you see full fit to commit to the role.

I shook the man’s hand, gleaming to have this golden opportunity to craft my own footballing career.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    ANOTHER Zan story

I was born a couple of miles away from Port Talbot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    ANOTHER Zan story

I was born a couple of miles away from Port Talbot
    Yeah, always love having an ODB save as it makes me nostalgic. Thought I'd do something like this - a mess around save - allowing to just play and do a story bout it with quick short posts. No 'Zan' stuff, just football - I hope .

Awesomely noted

Literally first job I got response back from, plus seems like an nice starter.

Should add, I may - if I get cocky enough - try to create my own win wob tactics down the line, nothing to worry about as my attempts in past weren't best

vCash
    Chapter One
    - Assessing the Situation -

22nd July 2001

The day I can call myself a football manager. I set off at 5 am with my suitcase of stuff to arrive at the stadium for what was the public announcement of my hiring. It seemed the board had accepted me as the ideal candidate for the role, though solely based upon Edwards recommendation.

It was a tremendously, exciting moment to walk out into the light of the conference room where a makeshift team of local journalists had gathered for the surprising announcement.

It was an interesting moment to see the bewildered looks on the faces as this unknown man sat in the chair next to the chairman himself. And each question reflected that same disillusionment.

“How can someone so inexperienced make sure the club won’t get relegated?”

”Your having a joke, we’ve just got up! How is this nobody going to help us?”

But as one would expect, Edwards was ready for this line of questioning.

Edwards: We believe that Mr. Snake has got the ambition and raw talent to see us through, not only to survive within the league, but to also build a team to procure our future long-term. He has the backing of myself, and the board, as we hope the fans will also too.

With that said, I signed on the dotted line and shook hands for the second time with my now-boss. The news was out, ZanSnake was the new Port Talbot Town manager.

After the media unveiling, the word spread of my appointment and soon my name was on internet forums of the clubs fan club, reading the thread highlighted just what response I could be expecting come the first game of the season.

Spoiler!

- - - - -

24th July 2001

With two days experience under my belt, I arrived at the training ground for the first session of preseason training. My new rented home – only viable thanks to a gifted signing on bonus – was only a few miles away; making the dreaded 3 hour drive a nightmare of the past. I arrived and met by current assistant manager John Karamouzis, who would assist me at the current moment on a temporary basis as I ‘see’ if replacement staff was needed. Based from what I saw of him, Karamouzis wouldn’t be around for long.

John introduced me to the other staff members, which included only coach Ian Jefferies:

Spoiler!

scout Ryan Parry:

Spoiler!

and finally, physio Antony Thomas:

Spoiler!

Out of the four staff members, only Thomas seemed to be on the level that I feel would be best around me. Though the cost for anyone better might come greatly, it would only push the club to a level that would be beneficial. Ideally, a combination of second string player and coaches might be most cost effective – if they are decent enough...

Watching from the sidelines, I was able to weigh up the best of the 28 players I had to work with. Though the players themselves seemed to be basic – which I guess would be the norm at this level – I wanted players that could add to the team for the future as well as the present. Splitting them into their positions, I assessed the players I wanted to keep by their strengths and possible importance to the squad.

Spoiler!

And that was all.

Out of 28 players, only 4 stood out.

It seems like I would have a very busy first week in charge.
    Last edited by ZanSnake; 21-06-18 at 09:59 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Daily updates will be interrupted for few days as it's my missus birthday weekend. I'll try to get one out tomorrow and another Monday.

But we'll see

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ahh Mickey Copeman a blast from the past. He lives local to me and runs a driving school.

vCash
    Chapter One
    - Making a Finger Print -

Within a week of my arrival, my ambitions were met with harsh realities for most members of the club. The image I had in the club was one of a bright future, from the staff members to the players. It was one that could be a decent project as I work my style through experience, earning a reputation! Taking on the world!

But, to do that I needed to surround myself with staff members I feel could bounce off ideas from, and whom I feel would be young and progressive with myself. And for that it meant needed one big name to make a start.

Tony Adams has joined as my assistant manager just after retiring at the end of last season. A Arsenal and England legend, his presence brings alone ups the club’s reputation, nevermind how talented he is….

Spoiler!

At 34 years old, he is also the oldest member of the coach staff after the new coaches were both under 30 and dualled as players too. The oldest was 27 year-old Frenchman Francois Keller who would be a man for the young squad to work with.

Spoiler!

The youngest – by 12 years from Adams, and 5 years from Keller – is 22 year-old Stephen Driver, who despite being the reserve goalkeeper, would be best to coach the outfield players. With both having years to develop as coaches, this was the partnerships I thought would both develop with myself as the season (or seasons) goes on.

Spoiler!

The big process of my tenure has been building a side I think could be competitive enough to adhere to the boards expectations as well as possibly a little more. In order to do that I had to get rid of what I saw as dead wood, in order to bring new, healthy timber.

Ideally, I looked to rake as much money into the club I possibly could, which fortunately I was able to gain an amount, but not as much as I wanted.

Code:
    Date Player Out To Fee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 30.7.01 Craig Lima Alcorcón £6K 30.7.01 John Wile Noja £2K 30.7.01 Lee Matthews Cádiz £14K 31.7.01 Richard Ryan Barreirense £9K 31.7.01 Dean Philpott Logroñés £10K 1.8.01 Russell Wigley Released Free 1.8.01 Vince Lewis Released Free 1.8.01 Gary Twynham Released Free 1.8.01 Hayden Fleming Dover £7K 2.8.01 Craig Hanford Bangor City Loan 3.8.01 Robert Folland Dover £9K 4.8.01 Rob Shannon Kidderminster £4K 4.8.01 Gary Davies Hamble £10K 11.8.01 Michael Regan Ashton United £8K
    With 15 players coming out, it allowed for a large influx on new players that replaced them and would hopefully build the team for the future seasons of my tenure.

Code:
    Date Player In From Fee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 20.7.01 Alan Hughes Free Transfer Free 26.7.01 Lee Sinnott Free Transfer Free 26.7.01 Mark Jones Free Transfer Free 27.7.01 Phillip Owen Free Transfer Free 27.7.01 Gareth Evans Free Transfer Free 27.7.01 Steve George Free Transfer Free 27.7.01 Kristian Lewis Free Transfer Free 28.7.01 Philip Jones Free Transfer Free 28.7.01 Marcus Jones Free Transfer Free 28.7.01 Geraint Williams Free Transfer Free 30.7.01 Karl Ready Free Transfer Free 30.7.01 Tony Adams Free Transfer Free 30.7.01 Thomas Paul Griffiths Free Transfer Free 30.7.01 Daniel Slatter Free Transfer Free 30.7.01 Samuel Okikiolu Free Transfer Free 31.7.01 Thomso Free Transfer Free 31.7.01 Jason Jones Free Transfer Free 31.7.01 Craig Steins Free Transfer Free 31.7.01 Danny Barwood Free Transfer Free 1.8.01 Ben Jones Free Transfer Free 1.8.01 Ryan Thompson Free Transfer Free 3.8.01 Dylan Evans Free Transfer Free 7.8.01 Dean Thomas Free Transfer Free 8.8.01 Geraint Bater Free Transfer Free
    From 15 departures, we gained additional 24 players which added depth to the first team, a second choice and a little bit of a reserve team. Certain signings highlighted the way the club is looking to move forward. They include former Chelsea youth player Daniel Slatter, forward Dean Thomas, attacking midfielder Thomso with captain and former Welsh international player Karl Ready.

Spoiler!

From having virtually no attacking threat, we had crafted a variant of options with the elder Thomas and younger prospects who could partner with him. Options such as Ryan Thompson, Ben Jones, Geraint Williams and Craig Steins make a perfect hard choice to make with each game, making me excited for the possible results.

Spoiler!

Preseason offered a chance for me to sit down with my coaching staff and discuss possible tactical options for the season. With all my staff members up for the 4-4-2 formation, I kindly agreed.

Assistant coach Adams was very effective with a hard tackling approach to the style, adding a direct attacking flair on top to use the forwards pace to our advantage.

The results were shown clearly during preseason as we won the two games when transfer started to come in and despite a heavy rotation between the two fixtures. An especially brilliant performance against Gresford Athletic saw 3 goals scored by new players (Stein, Thompson, Thomso) gave me impressions that this tactic is the way forward as the start of the season approached against Oswestry Town.

For a second option, I decided to alter the positions slightly to retain the structure of the 4-4-2, but in the mode of a diamond. Though at the moment we have only one natural defensive midfielder, it would be an option we could turn too if results go against us…

Preseason showed a team ready for the limelight, but would it be the case when it all started?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great stuff mate, particularly liked the messageboard comments

Like ya say the existing backroom staff are awful apart from the physio, but with little money there’s no point sacking anyone for now, especially if no one’s interested in joining. Hopefully you can find some decent veterans who can sign on as player-coaches and pull double duty for one wage.

Having never managed in the Welsh league, if them 5 are the star players I’d hate to see the other 23

vCash
    Now I’ve posted that I see another update, I should have refreshed

Adams is a great signing, no chance he can be tempted to put his boots back on again?! A 22 year old player-coach as well

A lot of wheeling and dealing, I’m sure for the better too, didn’t Red have Karl Ready at Swansea in his story?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Now I’ve posted that I see another update, I should have refreshed

Adams is a great signing, no chance he can be tempted to put his boots back on again?! A 22 year old player-coach as well

A lot of wheeling and dealing, I’m sure for the better too, didn’t Red have Karl Ready at Swansea in his story?
    Perfect timing

Yeah, only decent defender that wanted to sign and is Welsh as well. Hoping for a solid season from him. Trying to pump as much money into the club and get rid of deadwood. Looked for a lot of youngsters to hopefully build a team to hold down for a few seasons, so fingers crossed that it'll work out

Adams really shocked me Not only was he interested but would work as assistant manager, thought was going to be 1.best for story ahead (actually using pics of a coach ) and 2. makes training a bit beeter

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Started next one, so either tonight or tomorrow will be done. Hoping for daily updates once again starting today.

So stay tuned

vCash
    looking good, Port Talbot has changed a lot though

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by evesham View Post
    looking good, Port Talbot has changed a lot though

vCash
    Chapter One
    - Harsh Realities -

The day before my professional debut match as Port Talbot boss, the club had arranged for another press conference with myself and the local media to try and increase local interest in the club’s forthcoming season in the Premier Division.

I sat at the table, shaking with nerves so much my drink of water went everywhere like a sprinkler onto the table below. I was never one for public showing, I remember running off-stage crying for my mummy when I was in nativity scene.

But this was different, this time they would be looking to ridicule.

“Mr Snake, you’ve made a lot of changes to the club. How do you think the club would work with such a large inlfux of changes within a short period?”

ZanSnake: Well…

”You have a lot of young bodies at the club, aren’t you scared that pressure might get too much to them throughout the season?”

ZanSnake: You see, I think that-

”What do you say to the people who say that your new assistant manager Tony Adams should be the fist team manager and you just a coach?

Suddenly, the pressure started to amount on my shoulders and a horrific flashback started to emerge in my head. All I could do was gulp down my half-empty glass of water to try and find some courage. The hyenas were ready to pounce from the get go, and I came unprepared as well as unprotected.

In a haste movement, I charged out of the room – though not calling for my mummy as some would’ve hoped. A barrage of laughter eachoed off the walls, as I cooled down in the hallway.

It seems, I maybe still a little public shy….

It was time for my debut – unfortunately not my home debut as that would still be a few weeks away – and the nerves had continued into the game. Though the home side Oswestry Town didn’t see to be a big named team for this division, the fear of defeat scared me straight.

The team lined up with the attacking 442 that was trialled during preseason with some success. The main talking point was the partnership I had gone for. Thomas was selected on the left hand side due to his impressive finish and being the only left footed striker.

Ryan Thompson comes in with a goal to his name with his only showing in preseason, meaning he could be reliable possibly to pop up as a poacher.

The away fans chanted in the tens of them, as the action started. Within just a few minutes Thomso and Kristiam Lewis connected to have our first opportunity within 5 minutes, but it was defended well and turned into a counter.

A brilliant save from the aging Wager denied the home side which was a nice set-up for the rest of the game. 0-0 towards half-peroid, we started a deadly attack from a interception….

Prancing like a ballerina, I couldn’t hide my excitement with the lead thanks to the brilliant work of Alan Hughes, who came close to scoring a screamer himself a few minutes later.

The opportunity to add another came thick and thin, with Thomas having numerous of chances to grab a brace, but losing out on the final part with saves or hitting the cross bar. But finally the striker could pounce on a nice low cross from Thomso on the right to score the second at the dead of the half.

The ref blew the whistle as the dream start had happened, I couldn’t ask for more from the team as we left for the second half, but they kept on trying to find a third.

The home side had planted themselves firmly to the ground however, and made sure a second wouldn’t be coming. And the only event that occurred was that our captain, Karl Ready was forced to come off with 5 minutes left to play.

The injury had put a damper on the over-all performance, but it was a positive sign from the team that the tactic could be a working on and the dream of a high fiinish might be a littler stronger!

A few weeks later….

The dream died a painful death as the harsh reality killed it with no mercy.

After the initial win, we couldn’t seem to find the net. Solid defensive performances, though mostly down to the experience of the goalkeeper, I had no choice but to sign some additional players as we hoped to break the streak from continuing on.

Another player-coach was added to the club as legend Belarus legend Sergey Gerasimets signed to the club. With 27 caps and 6 goals, he was the third capped member of the club (after Adams and Ready) and hoped that his presence would inspire the team to step up.

Sergey was a start of another young influx as 3 more players came in the next five days, with the highlight being the young defensive midfielder Mark Collins. The position allowed me to think of other tactics I could try to change the team too, and with only being 18 years old, Collins could be someone to mould into a decent first team option.

Spoiler!

After a decent performance against Afan Lido on the right wing for Sergey, I adjusted the tactical approach for the next game against big side T.N. Solutions at home. Hoping to surge the home support our way, a change to a 4231 formation was the decision.

Ready returned to the centre of defence after his injury in the first game, bringing an experienced partnership in defence with Lee Sinnot hoping for a composed duo. Sergey was positioned behind the top goalscorer Dean Thomas who had yet to add to his brace from opening day.

Despite playing half of the game with a man off after Ready decided to start his boxing practice with the opposition’s attacking midfielder, it was a dominant attacking performance that we we’re unlucky to not find a second. 75% of our shots on target it only took one to win the game!

The news got worse though, as Ready’s action result into an 8 match ban (initially 1 match ban with a deouble yellow).

A fine was issued and he accepted, but his absence didn’t affect us that badly as we bounced back with our only win in the League Cup against Aberystwyth.

A match we dominant to the point they didn’t have a single shot, all game! As once again my dreams of a winning streak started to emerge, the football reality came reeling in. For the second in the season, our form was stopped in a brink and went the other way.

September wasn’t our month. One draw and three loses – one including our rivals – made it a hard time for myself and the club. The press pressured on for a response for the unfortunate turn of form, too which my shy self pushed my assistant to the limelight.

Adams: The lads are obviously disappointed, but we have a young side who are still mellowing together. The manager and myself feel we are working out the cogs of a team with a lot of potential. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

After a few jokes about Adams coming out of retirement to help our fortunes, he laughed them off in a composed manner, as a man with years of media experience would. Then came the dread question.

“Why aren’t you the manager Tony? You have the experience of the game, and offer a lot more than Snake, who can’t even be arsed to talk to the press!

It was something I was dreading. Adams did imply he would love a chance to manage a club, but wanted to earn experience from the coaching side, behind stepping his toe in the managerial pool.

Adams: Zan has a bright vision for the club, that is why he was given the job by the board. He, me and the rest of the coaching staff are all working hard week in, week out to turn this form around and shake things up. Zan would love to show you his vision, but wants to leave all the talking on the pitch. I am more than happy to be apart of an ambitious project like this, and my ear is always there to help.

Adams took a diplomatic approach which I can’t thank him for any more than I did. But the eyes had been cast, only in the sense that I now had two men who were legends in their own right and could easily step up for the manager role.

Time for me to step up.

With a two week break between games at the end of September and our next game against Aberystwyth Town, I made even more signings. The signings would probably be my last few as it would be my last roll of the dice for another tactic change.

4 new key players joined the club, all on a free. Freddie De’ath and Alain Masudi-Ekakanga signed as winger options, with Freddie being a young option for both left and right wing and Alain solely the right.

Raul Torres joined after being released from Murcia B, and offers a versatile option as a defender in the backline or, more likely, as a defensive midfeilder as our current option hasn’t offered much.

But, the biggest signing of all was the capture of young goalkeeper Peter Sadoucas who at 19 year-old could automatically be starting as goalkeeper, but also is the long-term replacement for Gary Wager who approaches his 40th birthday.

A change to a 433 formation with a solid defensive Torres behind an attacking Mark Jones and Thomso with both new boys De’Ath and Masudi (a nickname I gave Ekakanga) supporting lone striker Thompson was our new hope.

Sorted!

A brilliant 3-0 home result once against Aberystwyth gave the small number of home fans something to get excited about. A mixture of a solid defensive performance and great attacking play allowed Thomso to become equal top goalscorer with a brace and Masudi with a nice debut.

The second game of October was an solid 0-1 defeat to the best team in the league, but with another stellar performance from a new signing Sadoucas who came in goal and was only let down by a quick fire goal from the start.

We bounce back with another win as we beat Barry Town – a team I had actually heard of – 3-1 as we dropped back to a 442 diamond to allow more options for the winger positions as De’Ath was struggling to settle and Masudi was having fitness issues.

The partnering of Thomas and Thompson was tested once more, which resulted in a terrific performance! Away from home, Thomas was the play maker as he first earned the penalty that took the lead early in the first half, then a sublime pass from kick off in the second for Mark Jones to slot in the second.

The month of October was hopefully the starting point, the establishment that this team would build to something. We had tallyed the same amount of wins in the league in just October then we had in the previous two months, and for that we had nestled into the table comfortably.

The table looked great for us, but a little closer and you could see two team that had games in hand that could over take us. But that didn’t matter. We had the best defensive record in the league, thanks to the knowledge of our assistant manager Tony Adams, and hopefully the attacking display would also be improving.

To further eclipse the brillance of the last month, I was award the Manager of the Month award. I took it in my stride,as it wasn’t me but the whole team that had improved massively. I was more bothered by what the future might hold….

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    after a shaky start both with the glass and on the pitch, things seem to be improving. Let's hope De'ath isn't a bad omen for your Welsh career!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to evesham For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Very inconsistent to start with, but the change to the 4-3-3 system and some more signings seems to have got you going again, hopefully this one can carry on for some time.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Very inconsistent to start with, but the change to the 4-3-3 system and some more signings seems to have got you going again, hopefully this one can carry on for some time.
    Was the 442 diamond towards the end as I don't trust just one striker to be source of goals ATM think form is more down to the new signings, Raul and Masudi have been brilliant so far!

Oh, btw, this is not a representation of me as a manger or person, I have e me er had stage fright just trying to play like a noobie player so I can learn the basics.

Looking at building tactics, right attributes to look at for certain positions, working out finances, and finally bout training. Learning process to be the best

Updates delayed due to England game and work. Hoping for a few to be done asap for you guys

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by evesham View Post
    after a shaky start both with the glass and on the pitch, things seem to be improving. Let's hope De'ath isn't a bad omen for your Welsh career!

Yes

Hopefully found a decent 11 to build from. Not thinking this season will be the winning one before I can leave, but definitely a building process.

vCash
    Chapter One
    - Keeping Up Steam -

The terrific form coming into November was better then I could’ve ever had imagined. The team had an effective response through the shaky start, but performances have started to turn around. A 4-4-2 diamond has played to our strengths, though a significant mystery still holds over who be the most impactful partnership up-front.

As November came into view, it was essential that we tried to end the year with a high. If this wasn’t going to be our year, then I wanted next year to be at least be a better chance. The first test was top team Cwmbran Town who sat in 4th in the table.

Only one significant change to the side as [b]Karl Ready[b] returned from his suspension, though wasn’t handed the captaincy due to his ill-discipline. A long ridden speech from Adams to Ready before the game was a hope that he wouldn’t re-enact his behaviour in only his first start.

Ready responded with a goal and a solid performance in his first full 90 minutes for the club, though he wasn’t the only highlight of the game as Masudi continued his terrific form since arriving at the club with a brace to his name as well as the Man of the Match award.

A lowly scrapped 1-0 away win against 10-men Welshpool continued our good fortunes, though we dominated the match with 10 shots on goal, we scored with the only one on target. In the end it was as Adams said in the post-match interview;

”A win is a win, and that’s what we got.”

Adams thumbs up for the team came at the right time as entered into the Welsh Cup 3rd Round, which had redemption for not only loosing out of the League Cup so quickly, but revenge for the earlier home defeat we suffered.

Rhyl Town weren’t an exceptional team. They seemed destined to finish mid-table or possibly lower. They caught us in a period of time where we was sorting ourselves out, and Wager had a horrific day.

With a more compacted squad, a brilliant dressing room atmosphere, and an air of confidence, we arrived the Belle Vue looking to set off from the front foot.

With Ben Jones partnering Thomas up-front, we set off from the first minute!

Left back Griffiths sent the ball far forward for Ben Jones, who unleashed a powered volley at goal but keeper Steward dived to the ball, though not gathering the ball clearly, it fell perfectly to the path of the on-looking Dean Thomas. Thomas didn’t need second invitation and smacked it, aiming for the low left corner of the unmanned goal.

The team was ecstatic!

Not even 5 minutes in and we had scored….

Or so we thought as the linesman flayed his flag around like a gymnyst with ribbon trying to swat a fly.

Despite the denial, we kept on pushing and it wasn’t long till we had our second clear-cut chance. An attack starting from the right flank with Masudi crossing into the box, resulting in a half-arsed clearance from the centre-back after bossing Thomas off the ball. Alan Hughes – the left winger – collected the loose ball and squared the perfect ball back in.

The defenders squandered to get back in time, and it was Masudi who was raining free into the back post. Diving for glory, he went head first and….

SCORED!

Masudi continued his terrific form with his 5th of the season

The team pushed on for a second, but couldn’t find the deadly ball or the final finish. It was like watching dramatic film with gut-wrenching, false endings. The major postive was that the home side didn’t have a single chance within the first 30 minutes.

They were completely nullified.

And things fgot worse as right-back Rigby’s clearance kindly fell infront of anchorman Raul Torres who ventured further then he should have been allowed and lofted the ball forward for the one man who had torn the defence apart before….

Masudi!

A routine first half was hampered however as the home side started to find their feet, finally, in the dying minutes of the half. After more failed chances for ourselves, Rhyl had started to take a footing, though the chances were often wide.

But with the literal last minute, Steffan Hughes moved the ball forward to the byline and deleivered a ball to the near post. A lovely timed diving header from the unmarked Filson allowed them to score one back.

The second half was started as fast a bullet from a gun as Mark Jones, who had numerous opportunities throughout the first half but couldn’t converted chances to goals, was set free from a counter attack started from Ready and right-back Mark Evans to a lovely skill rounding the goalkeeper and slotting in to retain the two goal lead.

The game was back on as Rhyl pushed further to attack, allowing to craft a beautiful back and forth game – despite the 2 goal lead – which was highlighted with three subs by Rhyl combing together to play out from the back to find space in the midfielder, only to have the final ball go dreadfully high and wide, out for a thrown in.

But the old adage of keep knocking and soon you’ll get an answer, and unfortunately it came true as Hughes’ cross went through the grasp of Sadoucas, and with a great timed run, substitute Wilson found space – losing his marker in the process – and volleyed the ball into the back of the net.

The away fans had earned the money they paid, a game of 5 goals already and plenty of chances for it to have doubled since then, the minor setback of Rhyl’s second only fuelled both teams to push on.

Within minutes off the restart, Stewart was forced to deny Masudi a hat-trick with a lovely stretched save, and with Gerasimets coming on for the AWOL Ben Jones, the veteran was also unfortunate to bag on in as Stewart once again was the wall in goal – a chance created from Masudi.

Pegged back to their half, we pushed on till the final minutes of the game, with the monster that was Masudi dominanting the tired legs to bring the field forward before a cheeky switch to the other flank where Hughes, with no space to shoot himself, unselfishly fed the ball to Thomas.

On the night of redemption. Of wasted chances, and heroes being made, Thomas was gifted another chance to redeem for his disallowed goal. With all the time in the world, every second slowed down to the final impact of his left foot cracking onto the ball. The destination; the back of the net!

And with another scrappy 1:0 home win against Carmarthen Town a week later, thanks to Mark Jones being able to find the net after the team’s 12 other chances failing too though getting injured in the process, we had recorded not only 5 games undefeated streak but also a terrific end of another month.

Heads had started to turn to our sudden impressive run, with myself winning the Manager of the Month for a second successive month, and with the chance of something come off this.

The deciding month of the finish of the year came with an unexpected visit from the higher-ups as chairman Andrew Edwards came for a chat to me one morning after training. At my desk, it was the first time I had a personal visit from the board since my hiring.

“We are delighted with the results lately Snake, the potential you’ve got this team showing is outstanding. We can clearly see that your appointment here was the best decision for the club.”

The praise was heart-warming, but not worth the effort of coming down to the stadium for. I knew there had to be some sort of pressing issue for the man to come here.

Zan: What’s wrong Andrew? You didn’t come here to fire up my ego; let’s not beat around the bush.

“Okay Zan, I am not going to sugar-coat it. The board are a little concerned about you not talking to the press. I mean, Tony’s done terrific so far, but the club wants you to do the talking. It’s the up-most that the fans can connect with the team.”

Zan: And they are. The average home side this season – since me taking over – has ore than doubled!

“But we want you to talk Zan, it’s a chance to market the club’s image. You don’t see the big manager’s avoiding press conferences like you do, do ya? We’ve given you time to get accustomed here and deal with the pressure, but we are going to get you to come to the press conference after the Llanelli home game. No matter the result, you are going to talk to the press.”

With that being said, I shook Andrew’s hand and let him leave. With only seven days to prepare for my forced re-debut infront of the press, I had to make a few phone calls.

With Mark Jones’ injury only being a bruised shin, it meant he would only miss the first game of the month. As it is in Wales, sometimes there would be club names that I would slaughter if I had to read them. And being me, I butchered the name of our opponents numerous of times whilst trying to sort out the tactics of the game.

Away to Flexsys Cefn Druids, with only the one forced change (Gerasimets for Mark Jones) and one cautionary change (Craig Steins for Ben Jones) it was the ‘don’t fix what’s not broken’ mentality, the team went away with another easy 2-0 win. Gerasimets and Thomas both scored in the second half, with Masudi this time being the assist maker and Man of the Match rather then the scorer.

The next game was the home game against Llanelli, meaning no matter the result, I would be facing the press after the game. With nerves settling into my stomach I watched the team with anticipation.

Mark Jones was recalled back into the side at the first notice, his presence had been a great big help in the last couple of matches and would be for any further. Though the first half was full of chances, neither side took the game from the scruff of the neck.

Into the second half, it seemed it was going the same way until our anchorman was forced off with a dead leg. Mark Evans pushed into the role as Clarke slotted into his role, hoping that despite Evans not being centrally confident, he could do the role for the half hour needed.

Luckily, it didn’t matter much as a free-kick from Captain Ready – who was reinstated recently after some terrific displays such as this game where he was Man of the Match – took a nice free-kick which found the head of the returning Jones to score the only goal of the game.

With another game of dominance of chances, but coming down to one goal, it was something that’s was getting to consistently happening. But, with the press conference bearing down my neck, I stood on the edge of Hell or Heaven.

With a glass of water, a pad with a pen, and the eyes of the Welsh media I sat back in my chair acting coolly and confidently as instructed.

The club’s press officer – a bloke who looked like he had just finished high school – started off the line of questioning. Getting comfortable, I knew no matter the questions, I had the response.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the post press conference of the Port Talbot Town versus Llanelli AFC match. Today, I am joined with Port Talbot’s football manager ZanSnake, who has made it clear that he is ready for any line of questioning. So, let’s start off by the local newspapers first.”

The teenager held up well, but it didn’t matter to me. I readjusted myself to be in a big, confident posture ready for the questions to start. After pointing the local journalist, the media circus finally started to prevail.

“Mr ZanSnake, I first have you congratulate you on your two victories today; first the match against Llanelli which continues this tremendous run of form, and secondly, your personal battle to find the press room.”

The room burst out of laughter as I smiled back with a sarcastic nod, still awaiting for my cue.

“My question is, Mr Snake, what is the goal for the club this season? We were to believe we would be struggling, but that’s seems to be an understatement as of late.”

The journalist sat back to rest his pen and pad against his leg to write my answer. I instantly grabbed my glass of water, gallop of mouthful and swallowed before writing a message on my own pad of paper. With it done, I stood up and chucked it to the kid, leaving the room with shock anguish.

The flutter of flashes as I exited illuminated my face, this was the game changer. The club wanted to market me, make the club’s image; now it had started.

On the pad was written my answer; “to Win”.

I woke up the next morning with a target on my face as my actions gained headlines, so much so it was feature on the BBC Sport website.

This what I wanted, the publicity towards the club when we were in a positive run would only mean that every action we would on the pitch would be highlighted, and the words would mean nothing. Though, I would continue to use Adams as our vocal point, it would be much less as the season goes on.

A phone-call with Edwards meant the club would publicly back my stance, allowing me to concentrate on what really mattered most: the football.

And what a response the team had waiting!

A 5-2 away thrashing against a competent mid-table team Caernarfon Town brought on more applaundence to the team, and it was once again Mark Jones in the centre light. A hat-trick for the recently turned 20-year-old alongside an assist ear-marked him perfectly for the Man of the Match performance.

But it was also first goals for Welsh duo Craig Steins – 17 year-old striker – and Steve George – 21 year-old centre-back – who had both become another star prospects in the side. Masudi was involved, as usual, with two assists and it was a complete performance from the lads.

The festive period had been a glorious run for the team, which saw us become on of the league’s best sides after a flayling side. In the end I couldn’t ask more for the team, and in the Christmas spirit, I bought them all a day off training to spend an extra day of to spend with their family.

Myself, I spent Christmas with my immediate family and enjoyed a nice meal around a warmed fire.

Unfortunately, it was straight back to business on Boxing Day as we played away to under-performing giants T.N. Solutions. Though we had beaten 1-0 already this season, they had changed manager since despite no changing their fortune. Win-less under new manager Roy McFarland, last season Welsh Cup runners-up really needed to start to find some form once more, and we were the targets.

Or so I thought, as it turned out to be another routine second half slaughter as we scored three within 28 minutes to finish off another easy performance.

It was good to see Thomas back in with the goals after a few games where we had become reliant on Jones, I needed to see a source of goals elsewhere. Of course, there was always Masudi who scored his 7th in 11 games to continue his ridiculous good form.

To say how well we had done for this year so far, to call the last game of the year a complete and utter kick in the teeth was an under-statement. Despite our normal dominance, we couldn’t find a single goal against Oswestry Team no matter how hard!

The term ‘super-keepered’ game to mind, but I thought that was only used against people called Redknapp69?

Despite the under-whelming end of the year, it was a massive improvement when I finally took time to look at the table to evaluate just how well the team had improved.

Four points off first? Five points from fourth?

We had improved massively, with consistency and a solid back four – no surprise with Tony Adams on duty – we had potential to possibly push for the title this season!

I didn’t want to dream again, but it came closer to reality….

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A great run of results there mate, some big score lines in there too!

Enjoy ya Xmas, maybe Santa will bring you a voice (or a new writing pad) for the next press conference

36. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Chapter One
    - The Test -

To be able to really go for the title, we had to just play the games to the best of our capability. The 442 diamond has done wonders for the club’s form since it was introduced, and the players had taken to it exceptionally.

The star man (Mark Jones) was struggling to find a spot at the club before the tactical change, and with his late runs – as well as his superb free-kicks – he has given us a grain of hope to fully test the teams in the league.

And we were in the team in form!

The wins had garnered more attention from the plain, bored locals as after around 7 years of only pulling up and average of about 250 people to the home games, we were now double the amount.

While not matching up with the wonders of Newport (3,275), Wrexham (4,179), Swansea (6,379), Cardiff (13,552), it was an improvement and if – that's a big if – I wanted to stick around long enough, I could see if we could develop a little closer to that level.

But that meant a continuation of what we had been doing for so well!

January 2002

The start of the New Year was one I had been started with a win as a sign of good fortune for the rest of the year. Four league games are spaced out through the month, with the second game against local rivals Afan Lido at home. Our past meetings had been in their favour, with a 0:1 win the in league, a 0:2 win the Welsh League Cup and a goalless draw in the return fixture.

Game 1

Port Talbot Town vs Connah’s Quay
    0:1
    MotM: Andy Mulliner

It was a frustrating game for us as we were held back at home for the full 90 minutes, only for the away team to snatch a late winner in the last minute of the game. Our 5th defeat in the league, and we were truly super-keepered by their Man of the Match Andy Mulliner.

We did craft 9 opportunities throughout the game, 5 of which was from out star talisman Mark Jones, but it wasn’t enough to stop Connah’s Qauy running away with the three points to stake their claim on top of the table.

Game 2

Port Talbot Town vs Afan Lido
    2:1
    (Thompson ‘61, Hughes ‘90)
    MotM: Masudi

A hard earned victory for the boys as we finally got some redemption against our local rivals. It all seemed to be more of the same as they got ahead on the 25th minute after a well-rehearsed free kick routine ended with O’Leary finding the back of the net, but really it was use with the ample of opportunities!

It felt like a repeat of the amazing showings of last game as we were denied each chance in the first half, dejected at half-time, the lads lacked motivation. A rally cry to not give in, and a change for Thompson for Thomas, built up the second half nicely.

Thompson repaid his introduction by finishing off an attack from Masudi post the hour mark. Thompson thought he had scored again 14 minutes later, but was ruled out as his challenge for the header was adjudged to be a push on the goal keeper Brian Thomas.

Bad scene came as Ready had to stumbled off the pitch just a minute shy from the ruled out goal, though it turned out he had a stubbed toe and not long term, did mean he was a doubt for the rest of the month.

The crowning moment did finally come, however, when Masudi played the ball into the dying minutes on the right wing, and played another deadly cross into the box finding the space for Hughes to guide in his first of the season!

Game 3

Caersws vs Port Talbot Town
    0:3
    (M. Jones ‘27, Thomas ‘66 ‘87)
    MotM: Masudi

With our third game, we knew we could be touching distance to the first position and with a win, we had taken the 2nd spot in the league. Another terrific performance saw Masudi take the Man of the Match award for his constant threat in attack and earning another assist, but it could have been any man in white!

While our attack came out with the applauds with 3 goals, it was the defence that could duly come out proud with their performance also. Sadoucas was key to stopping another threat from the home side, allowing the wing-backs the opportunity to move more forward.

First goal was Jones’ 10th of the season, a simple header from Masudi’s near cross was a sweet start to the game where we had ample opportunities to score. Unfortunately, we didn’t take them until the second half when Dean Thomas was able to score from a rebound after a furious strike from Jones had been saved.

Another defensive injury came on the 86th minute as young centre back Stuart George was taken off with a thigh strain. He would miss two weeks, but his reintroduction to the team would be a great asset – especially with his pairing with Ready,

The concerns were for George was son forgotten though, as just a minute later Thomas added another goal in the final minutes of normal time to no longer doubt anyone! We had taken 2nd place.

Game 4

Bangor City vs Port Talbot Town
    0:1
    (Hughes ‘86)
    Motm: Stuart Cooper

An irritatingly frustrating game where the home side was looking for the draw from the get go, we had been boxed in and failed to make a decent chance till Alan Hughes picked up on a rare error from the defensive dominator Stuart Cooper – who had been average all season till this game – blocked a Mark Jones shot and it fell kindly to Hughes. With no need for a second introduction, Hughes bagged the goal we had been searching for all game and that had finally came into the last minutes.

The game, though not remarkable for the on-field display, was historic for the nature the victory meant. With capturing the 2nd place in the last game, with the result against Bangor and Connah’s Quay drawing against fellow title contenders Haverfordwest 2:2, we jumped in with a chance to over-take.

We were now three points off 1st, and in brilliant, solid form. So much so that their had been question being made if we were possible outsiders for the title. And, on my day off, I was approached publicly by one journalist waiting to know my response.

With a little bit of excitement in his voice, and with all my heart set to agree, I had a plan and that plan meant for me to remain silent.

Leaving the journalist with the old classic shrug of the shoulder.

February 2002

With four more league games and the 4th Round of the Welsh Cup coming up in February, it was essential we had to continue what we had started. Eyes were fully on us to compete for the title, and that would be exceptional as we faced three of the league games against teams within the top half of the table.

Game 1

Port Talbot Town vs Newtown
    1:0
    (Thomas ‘12)
    MotM: Peter Sadoucas

With Karl Ready’s reintroduction to the defensive side of the team, it was a much needed implementation as we forced to fight the three points against Newtown. Though the hard work was somewhat our own fault with failure to add to the early goal scored by Thomas, and it ultimately came down to a superb performance from Sadoucas, who had clearly shown his worth to the club after being brought into the club.

The win made yet another bout of redemption as Newtown, who had won the reverse fixture in the same manner, was the first team to beat us. Another example of our growing presence as a title contender, the win did something else for us too….

With Connah’s Quay 1-2 loss to Aberystwyth Town, we were able to claim the top spot! With the exact same amount of wins, draws and losses, we were on level terms for the future games. The test for our ambition for the league title had started!

Game 2

Welsh Cup 4th Round
    Port Talbot Town vs Caerleon
    2:0
    (M Jones ‘19, Thomas ‘45)
    Hughes miss penalty ‘69
    MotM: Mark Jones

A nice break from the league saw us prevail into the Quarter Final’s of the Welsh Cup. After bowing out of the Welsh League Cup – two of three cups that can be won in Wales – in disappointing style, to progress as far as can be was the goal!

And in order to do that we saw off Caeleon in a domination of a performance, in which the away side was able to only muster a measly two shots – both off target – and had only 29% of possession over-all.

Despite the 79% possession, it was only the first half that had seen goals as Mark Jones latched onto Raul Torres’ lob ball to round the keeper and slot it in 20 minutes, and then in the dying minutes Dean Thomas scored his 10th of the season, latching onto Hughes’ lay-off to ferociously smack it into the back of the net.

The second half was more dramatic, however, as their fullback went in with a reckless challenge on his second namesake – David Thomas on Dean Thomas – and was sent off for his worries as well as awarding us a penalty. But, only for then Alan Hughes to strike the penalty into the keepers arms!

Game 3

Cwmbran Town vs Port Talbot Town
    0:2
    (M. Jones ‘47 ‘56)
    Alan Hughes missed penalty ‘90
    MotM: Mark Jones

Another worthy performances from Jones, another missed penalty by Alan Hughes.

Hughes did do some good, however, as he assisted Jones’ first goal with a header down that Jones volleyed into the back of the net. Not one to be outdone by his winger patriot, Maudi was the man to assist the former Wimbledon man just 9 minutes later, with a collection from a rebound save, Masudi slotted the ball straight to Jones who did what he does best!

Mark Jones wasn’t finished there for his evening! As in the last minutes, Jones continued his usual attacking prowess, rounding the ball of keeper O’Hagan who then caught him with his hand on the trailing leg of Jones.

A red card later, and Alan Hughes was faced to faced with 18 year-old Dickenson who was brought on to play for the last few minutes. Dickenson was alert, however, and easily saved Hughes’ poor attempt at a penalty.

Not too bothered as we had already sealed the win, scores elsewhere helped us in our title bid.

Three points ahead!

Game 4

Port Talbot Town vs Barry Town
    2:1
    (M Jones ‘29, Thompson ‘45)
    MotM: Alan Hughes

Another goal for Jones as he and Thompson scored against Barry Town once more like they did in the 3:1 away in at the end of October. Though we were down a goal within 10 minutes, the lads continued their all-out attacking display and got two back within the first half.

Alan Hughes, who certainly had his crossing boots on, redeemed himself after two games missing two penalties by assisting both goals for his best performance in the blue shirt so far this season. The win didn’t do anything but continue our three point lead over Connah’s Quay however.

Game 5

Rhyl vs Port Talbot Town
    1:1
    Hughes pen 76
    MotM: Thomas Paul Griffiths

It was a gruelling performance that put the end of a significant two months as home side Rhyl held onto a lead from the 32nd minute of the first half, and was able to subdue us from making any significant efforts on goal.

Thankfully it was done to Welsh full-back Thomas Paul Griffiths who took things into his own hands and pushed up the field, offering a goal threat the 19 year-old was caught in the area after his feet was clipped by Dave Williams.

Though initially worried by the fact Hughes stepping up for the spot, the winger was confident as he positioned the ball onto the spot. And that confidence went all in as he skilfully scored into the bottom right corner.

A continuation of our massive improvement meant we had claimed the top spot and started to make a gap between ourselves and second position. With the Quarter Finals of the Welsh Cup still ahead, the questions of a possible may come, though I just wanted to settle on the title before even thinking of a double…

Now with four points, it seemed Connah’s Quay had started to choke which we could take advantage of. Though with 3rd place Haverfordwest the first game in March, and with only 8 games of the league left, it would be a full-on last few months for the team.

And, with some surprise, I had won the Manager of the Month for a third time as the FAW gave me the award for Feburary. With another undefeated streak continuing I couldn’t argue.

The Welsh Premier League Trophy

Could the title come back to Port Talbot? Could we be on for the double?

Agonisingly, it would be a hard fought ambition, though exciting to experience!

Come on you Steelemen!

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Outstanding stuff mate, two great possibilities of silverware, Connah's Quay going backwards currently but I'm sure they'll come back at you at some point, and you've a massive game against Haverfordwest next, is that at home or away?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast