Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VAR

vCash
    Oh thank God I found this thread. Now I can whinge about how my beloved Mariners were ripped off by VAR.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...a56ac00bd736ae

Watch the video.

The second one was absolutely disgraceful.
    I travelled and watched that live.

vCash
    the 2nd one is really harsh you are correct

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobclear View Post
    Oh thank God I found this thread. Now I can whinge about how my beloved Mariners were ripped off by VAR.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...a56ac00bd736ae

Watch the video.

The second one was absolutely disgraceful.
    I travelled and watched that live.
    The red card decision was a correct one. Stretched leg onto the opponents leg without any chance of even playing the ball. That's a direct send off so good VAR decision to overturn the yellow card.

The penalty should have been cancelled though as he's clearly moving away his arm to avoid it hitting the ball. But I agree with the caster who says that the replays shown are poor and can't really be used to make a good decision. Why were there only two camera angles?
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

vCash
    Ray, my argument here is not so much the fact that it was red or it wasn't , but more so the fact that it's simply ruining the game.

That was what Mariners coach Paul Okon said after the game in the press room. And, being there on the night, it's too true. People fail to understand how football has gone from the Beautiful Game to, in some cases, the ugly game in the past few years, with players like Ronaldo, Pique, Ramos, Suarez etc.

The ridiculous antics these imbeciles get up to these days makes me hesitate before watching a game. And that is really sad. The VAR only adds to the dilemma, as it hasn't made things much better. Remember Feyenoord Vitesse Ray?

If it wasn't for Man City, I wouldn't watch football.

vCash
    How did you start supporting Man City?!

vCash
    I actually cannot recall with 100% certainty, but I think when Simon Colosimo signed I decided to delve into English football

vCash
    UEFA or FIFA will never fix this when they get Hollywood endings like that

vCash
    from an unbiased POV that was no penalty Dermo, but the Ref give it

vCash
    Handball rule just needs massively changing

Problem with VAR is that each ref can give a different decision. I'd just have VAR for anything CLEAR and OBVIOUS. Goal line tech is great - but otherwise, every ref will have a different perception on an incident when the law is an ass on a fould/handball etc

Half of the offsides should just go with attacking team (based on current law if level to go with attackers) rather than if 0.01mm offside then to call offside - hardly clear and obvious is it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I don't like that it's in some matches but not others, I don't like that some decisions are deemed important enough to review but not others and I don't like that they replay the clip on a loop in slow motion (which is bound to look worse) until the referee gives a decision.

The game was fine as it is IMO, they seem to have added this for entertainment purposes.

vCash
    Its bullshit - they should just scrap it. Its getting worse. Roma pen was just as bad

vCash
    As a United fan evesham, that wasn't a penalty in my opinion. But, maybe in the refs handbook that was A penalty. Random dangling arms are always trouble. Kimpembe's main negative against him is that due to lack of effort to tuck in his arms, their purpose is to block the ball thus making it deliberate (according to the laws of the game)

As I said, for drama like last night Fifa and UEFA will never change it. Even 10 matches with a rugby style video ref and clear and defined rules over what can and cannot be challenged would make it a positive thing.

It's amazing that people thinking a properly functioning VAR would take from football as a sport and spectacle. It has bigger problems if is needs wrong decisions over correct decisions to provide entertainment and drama. I'd say anyone that is big into multiple sports finds football hard to watch these days as the lack of help and lack of sense for any help refs get is putting them off football. The goal line linesmen should be helpful, but they are total bollox. "Stand there but don't undermine the ref by highlighting a decision he missed".

Too many people come to the same conclusions to be wrong. 1. Stop using referees as pawns to add financial gain through unnecessary drama that's nothing to do with the actual football being played 2. Stop using hubris as an excuse to try out what works in other sports

vCash
    The problem is, Kimpembe's arm was out and to its side. If it wasn't there, where is Dalot's shot going (probably into row Z!)? I think it can be given as a penalty imo but the rule needs to be more consistent. It's getting tough to judge what is clear and obvious when it used to be a case a long time ago that any ball to hand is a penalty even if accidental. There's more clarity that way.

vCash
    The problem with any handball is it's easy to manipulate i.e. players kicking it at hands/arms. It was certainly more straight forward for sure

vCash
    The idea behind VAR is good, and it is good when the referee can correct himself when he has made an obvious mistake that is important (like missing a clear penalty). But the biggest problem with VAR is how bad it is being used. In Serie A and La Liga there have been several obvious cases of mis-use of it. For example some weeks ago Vinicius Jr got tripped by the goalkeeper, a clear penalty. Yet they don't even check VAR. What is the point with having it if they only use it for certain teams anyway? And even more hilarious was in a Valencia game where the referee team straight up made up an offside that didn't exist to avoid calling a penalty after a VAR review. Meanwhile Luis Suarez could dive to get an opponent sent off, and no VAR check despite it being obvious that it should not have been given on the replays.

You need to go all in or nothing here. The system has no credibility or faith in it if they only use it from time to time, some penalties, some red cards etc but not all.

vCash
    Copying NFLs challenge system would sort that out. Basically the head coach can throw a red flag to indicate he's challenging a non decision or a decision by the refs. They then go to the video.

2 per half should be plenty.

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Replay in hockey tends to work pretty well. Coaches can challenge only a few specific things. Offside prior to a goal (if the coach is wrong, the team gets a 2 minute penalty for delay of game), and goaltender interference (if the coach is wrong, the team loses their only timeout)

Occasionally, a play will be reviewed to see if the puck was kicked in, or batted into the net with a high stick, or knock in with the hand, or that it actually did entirely cross the goal line.... the delays are few, and the importance of the call being correct is key.

Subjective things like penalties, however, can never be reviewed.

vCash

vCash
    That's almost on Australian A-League level.

Probably for the better, they're that bloody useless anyway

vCash
    I fucking love VAR after tonight

#COYS

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    To be fair, that's exactly what it's for. First time I've seen it used well (in both games tonight, in fact). Not for witch-hunty handballs in the area e.g. Alexander-Arnold last week when Alisson paddled it at him from about a yard away when it was going out anyway.

vCash
    I still hate VAR. Ruined what would have been a great finish to the game, with the Raheem Sterling racial abuse and whatnot. My point isnt the final decision and whatnot, I agree with riise in saying that they were the right call, but it ruined the finish completely.

The referee needs to make the decision on field. If they can't trust first instinct and have to look at replays, why are they employed? It took a ridiculous amount of time to check the Llorente goal, and yeah, it looked like it hit his waist but the ref needs to make that call on the spot. Do you get my argument?

You may disagree, you may think this is biased but its a valid argument. The ref is not on the pitch to not trust his first instincts.

well done Tottenham but my opinion on VAR is yet to change

vCash
    I disagree Jacob.

VAR (when executed right like yesterday) makes the game more fairer. Such levels of offside with how fast the play goes just can't be spotted by the human eye. So the refs are bound to make mistakes if they have to act of their 'first instinct'. These mistakes costs teams wins which makes the game unfair i.m.o.

I remember a Lampard 'goal' at the World Cup 2010 that would most definitely had changed the outcome of that game and maybe even the tournament. The ref acted on it's first instinct as he thought it wasn't a goal. He was wrong and the whole of England was then wishing for VAR to be there.

VAR makes the game fairer, but I agree that it must be used proper and developed further.

But yesterday it was the right call to make and if the ref had acted on it's gut feeling and allowed the goal, Tottenham would have been robbed.

vCash
    Vertonghen used his arm for Spurs 3rd goal, even with VAR it didn't get picked up.

VAR went into dangerous territory last night though, how far back into a play do they need to go? It could be counter argued that Wanyama followed through pretty wildly to put the ball out of play before the move for goal (the City player made nothing of it). Isn't that part of the build-up to the goal? What happens then, the clock gets 3 minutes added on? Yes, it's an extreme example but this is where VAR will end up in it's current form.

VAR adds to the game, but it shouldn't be doing so as is it. Like the PSG Vs Utd game, these were checked to add drama. And drama = $$$$ to UEFA. I don't think either decisions gets checked in the opening 3 minutes of a game. If it wouldn't be reviewed then it shouldn't be reviewed at all.

At the minute it's all too grey and situational and wildly varying in it's interpretation. The rules of the game shouldn't be misinterpreted or situational.

I am not making a point about whether it was correct or not, it was (Vertonghen's wasn't - and very hard to spot also).

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Its a touchy subject

I felt it did his Vertonghen's arm, it may not have but its that case of the more you look at it the worse it looks for one outcome. Fair point Ray, but there was no need to spend THAT BLOODY LONG checking the third goal for Spurs.

All I'm saying is yes, Spurs would have gotten robbed but both teams would have had satisfaction with the result in a sense, but Spurs will feel horrible because it was controversial.

It's also the fact that it was first introduced for Goal Line Technology and then it was developed into the pisshole of a situation with VAR.

But Ray, games were fair back in the 20th century without VAR. Its the refs call, let it stay that way. Again, he's not employed to not trust himself on field.

One A-League game roughly a month ago featured a penalty call that the ref reviewed for 5 BLOODY MINUTES. It's not necessary.

I love ya Ray, but I don't feel the same about VAR. I'd rather be robbed like I was this morning without the video ref than with.

It's also very inconsistent. Remember Man C v Wolves and that handball goal? If that was reviewed it gets overturned and that's another W for Man C on the table.

Get rid of it. But its all about the money......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast