Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash
    Gateshead got smashed!

Great month and up into the top 2. But can you stay there?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

Redknapp69 is offline Soccer Manager - Division 1 Title/Cup
    Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Superb month

I think the extended break really helped as well - it's been a slog so great for some R&R for the players

Bang in the mix now for automatic promotion - you seem to have a much more settled side (in your mind) and the results are bearing fruit

Big push now and no real distractions of other competitions to "get in the way"

Q - what's the average attendance and what is capacity again?

Is academy being improved?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Gateshead got smashed!

Great month and up into the top 2. But can you stay there?
    I don't see why not! It can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Superb month

I think the extended break really helped as well - it's been a slog so great for some R&R for the players

Bang in the mix now for automatic promotion - you seem to have a much more settled side (in your mind) and the results are bearing fruit

Big push now and no real distractions of other competitions to "get in the way"

Q - what's the average attendance and what is capacity again?

Is academy being improved?
    Yep starting XI is beginning to take shape, so only a sharp drop in form will see the team change dramatically. Good to see a few players are building up momentum now.

Capacity is 2,050, which was increased after my first year when it cost us 1,712,500!

Training ground has never been increased though, I do always put the request in but we just can't afford it.

vCash
    Leamington are on fire.
    I hope that the 3 weeks without Lavery won't be too costly. He seems to by the driving force in midfield at the moment.
    Am I imagining it, or has he been a bit prone to injuries ? Has the physio team given him an assessment ?
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I think you are imagining it! I'll have to double check but pretty sure that's his first injury since joining us! Bakayoko is the chap who has been injured three times already!

I'd like to think that Sundstrom will step up now, having had a quiet season until his part this month just gone. He and Wedgbury will hopefully cover for his absence!

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 4 - February
    Nations = 21
    Andorra, England, Germany, Guyana, Italy, Ivory Coast, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malawi, Netherlands, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Slovakia, Sweden, Wales, Zimbabwe

As expected, the transfer window closed without any activity from ourselves which I'm absolutely fine with. After all, we'd seen 15 new faces added to the squad since we played our final game of last season and as far as I was concerned, we're now seeing the benefits of their arrival after appearing to have settled on a fairly settled starting XI. The injury to Caolan Lavery was a blow to our hopes of overtaking Maidenhead but as ever, it means that there's an opportunity for someone else to come in and impress and hopefully that man will be Kevin Sundstrom who finally opened his account for the season in terms of assists and goals last month having previously been one of our key men in midfield in the past two years.

With Piotr Maczynski still considering a new deal with us, Huddersfield came back in with an offer of 240,000 for our Polish starlet which I countered to 1,000,000, hoping to put them off. Likewise with Wigan, who offered 160,000 for Sundstrom. Thankfully, both did pull out though Maczynski opted not to improve his contract with us.

National League

After that superb January, I hoped we could extend our five game unbeaten run into February and really put the pressure on Maidenhead. We started off at Eastleigh where John Lanjesi was replaced by Connor Gudger in defence as the only change from our last match, a 3:1 win at Tamworth. A very quiet first half saw Lorenzo Musto graze the crossbar before he turned provided after the break to set up Maczynski to score in the 68th minute. It seemed as though we were going to see the game out with victory and a clean sheet when it all went wrong in the last four minutes, as Eastleigh scored twice! It was an opportunity missed to go top as Forest Green beat Maidenhead 3:2.

Eastleigh 2:1 Leamington
    Breeden 6, Magunda 6, Chato 6, Gudger 7, Knops 7, Sousa Silva 6, Sundstrom 6 (Wedgbury 7), Maxted 7 (Marsh 6), Musto 6, Maczynski 8, Byrne 5.
    Goals - Maczynski.
    Assists - Musto.

National League

We were now up against Forest Green ourselves and I made two changes to the team. Luis Sousa Silva had picked up a minor injury in training and was replaced by Erik Stokke in defensive midfield whilst Jamie Byrne lost his place as Maczynski moved to the left wing, Sundstrom moved inside and Sam Wedgbury was back in at right-wing. This being a Friday night fixture, we had the opportunity to go top for a brief time and we took it as Musto and John Maxted handed us a 2:0 lead by half-time. Musto grabbed a second goal and Joe Magunda popped up with two goals of his own to record an emphatic win once again.

Leamington 5:0 Forest Green
    Breeden 8, Magunda 8, Chato 7 (Agovic 6), Gudger 6, Knops 6, Stokke 8, Wedgbury 10 (Byrne 6), Maxted 8, Musto 10, Sundstrom 7, Maczynski 8.
    Goals - Musto x2, Maxted, Magunda x2.
    Assists - Wedgbury x2, Stokke, Maczynski.
    MotM - Wedgbury.

National League

Sadly, Accrington weren't able to stop Maidenhead from winning and returning to the top which made this a big game for us, as Morecambe were level on points with us and in 3rd place. Handing us a massive boost with a return from injury was Lavery who comes in for Sundstrom as the only change to the side. Morecambe came out firing but thankfully we won a penalty through Wedgbury which Paterson Chato converted. But after the break, Morecambe struck twice in 11 minutes to take the lead before we were saved thanks to an own goal! While we were battling away, Maidenhead lost 3:0 to Brackley which moved us both a point closer to the top!

Morecambe 2:2 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Magunda 6, Chato 5, Gudger 6, Knops 5, Stokke 7, Wedgbury 6 (Sundstrom 6), Maxted 7, Musto 7, Lavery 6 (Byrne 6), Maczynski 6.
    Goals - Chato, Braham-Barrett own goal.
    Assists - Wedgbury.

National League

Admittedly, we'd been lucky to come away with a point at Morecambe after a lacklustre performance. I needed our players to get back on song and made a change for the visit of 9th placed Torquay as Chato was taken out of the squad with Gudger moving to left-back to welcome Alen Agovic to the starting XI. Morecambe and Maidenhead both took a lead into the break but we were behind 1:0. Torquay had only 3 shots on target all game and won 1:0, despite our best efforts in registering 10 on target ourselves!

Leamington 0:1 Torquay
    Breeden 7, Magunda 7, Gudger 7, Knops 6, Agovic 7, Stokke 8 (Sousa Silva 7), Wedgbury 7 (Sundstrom 6), Maxted 7, Musto 6 (Bonne 7), Lavery 7, Maczynski 7.

National League

Injury rules Agovic out for our last game of the month at AFC Fylde with Chato coming back in along with Lanjesi who replaces Kjell Knops. Maczynski is also looking fatigued which hands only a 7th start of the season to Warren Smith on the left. Fylde start the day in the bottom 3 while we are now 7 points from top and two from Morecambe with both teams playing the day before us. Smith himself scores to hand us the perfect start but our defensive woes are on show again as Fylde turn it around to take the lead before Gudger is sent off on the 30th minute for arguing with the referee! It forces me to take off Wedgbury, move Lavery out wide and bring on Knops at centre-back with Chato moving to left-back. We actually play OK but are wasteful with our chances as Fylde still score another two to condemn us to a heavy defeat.

Fylde 4:1 Leamington
    Breeden 6, Magunda 6, Gudger 4, Lanjesi 6, Chato 6, Stokke 6, Wedgbury 7 (Knops 5), Maxted 6, Musto 5, Lavery 7, Smith 7.
    Goals - Smith.
    Assists - Wedgbury.

Have we now thrown away the chance of promotion after just one win in five games this month? It certainly feels as though we have and we're going to have to pick ourselves up and get ourselves going again if we are to fight our way back to the top. It's going to be a big month in March as we'll play Maidenhead AND Accrington and will need to win both to put ourselves back into contention.

Lavery remains our most in-form player and has made his return from injury to start the last three games but hasn't quite reached the levels he had prior to his injury. Hopefully he will soon as we'll need his assists to put our season back on track.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ouch !
    That is not a good time to have a lackluster month. With these 2 big games, it is just about in your own hands.
    Too many players getting 6 ratings
    I hope that Gudger got a bollocking

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yeah, it's worrying that a few have dropped in form now. Musto not looking in great shape in the past few games and Sundstrom not taken his chances at all either.

Hopefully we'll still be able to beat last year's tally at the very least!

Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    • Of the new 2k stadium – what’s average home attendance?
    • Getting some decent offers for your “star” players but you are haggling for more if they have to go!
    • Thumping win v Forest Green and good away point v 3rd
    • One of those days v Torquay
    • VERY scrappy month but maybe you didn’t get what you deserved – but it’s points that matters now. At least next month you can put it right with the “6 pointer” games you reference

vCash
    Hardly new mate, it's 3 years already

Average attendance for this season is 1,894 though. Up on 1,747 from last season. It was 1,587 in season 2 and 996 in season 1.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hardly new mate, it's 3 years already

Average attendance for this season is 1,894 though. Up on 1,747 from last season. It was 1,587 in season 2 and 996 in season 1.
    Do the supporters travel in a motorbike and sidecar to away games ?

vCash
    You've done bloody well to stay as high as third after that awful month!
    Need to seriously step it up in March.

Particularly like the symmetry of all the M's scoring against Forest Green!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    We have, yeah. Must admit that some results went our way which makes our own mini-collapse even worse as we could be top!

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 4 - March
    Nations = 21
    Andorra, England, Germany, Guyana, Italy, Ivory Coast, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malawi, Netherlands, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Slovakia, Sweden, Wales, Zimbabwe

As we moved into March, my assistant Shay Given and I called a meeting with the squad following the run of three games without a win and just one win in our five games in February which had left us 7 points behind Maidenhead. We held the meeting as we were concerned that the focus was beginning to drop from the players and we were keen to address that before we played our five fixtures this month, two of which would be against the Maidenhead and Accrington who were currently 1st and 4th. It was looking as though it may well be a battle between Morecambe, Accrington and ourselves for the second promotion spot but I personally felt that we could still reach Maidenhead as long as we got six points out of the games against our key opposition as well as beating the other three teams that we'll take on. In short, I wanted 15 points out of 15 this month otherwise I think we can write off our chances of winning the National League title.

After Given speak, the likes of Frank Lampard, Kasey Keller and Brian McBride also spoke up to the players and they were looking reinvigorated. They were given the afternoon off to do an activity as a group bonding session and hopefully we'll see the benefits of it on the pitch. Although I had set them the target of getting maximum points this month, I knew that I was still on course to record our best season yet, being only 12 points away now from matching last season's point tallly which will always be our minimum objective. We'd already matched the 21 wins from last season but had also matched the 12 defeats too. Recording only one draw had been the difference this season, that's for sure!

National League

Brackley (12th) are our first opponents of the month, a team we have faced four times and never lost to which I can only hope is a good omen. With Connor Gudger serving a one match ban (but picking up a bruised rib injury in training anyway, which I wonder whether it was an act of revenge after his stupidity), Paterson Chato is moved to left-back with Gavin Gunning starting at centre-back for only the 7th time this season. In midfield, Warren Smith makes way for Piotr Maczynski after his rest last time out and there's a surprise up front as Macauley Bonne starts ahead of Lorenzo Musto who loses his place after some very below par performances last month. It's only Bonne's 4th start of the season but he has 3 goals to his name after appearing 12 times from the bench. All the optimism that we took into the game evaporated after 8 minutes when Sam Smith put down his microphone and gave Brackley a lead. But the players fought back, showing their spirit to end up winning 4:1 with a great showing from John Maxted whilst Erik Stokke also got his first ever professional goal! There was even a first appearance of the season for Liam Randles who hadn't been in the matchday squad all season so far despite chalking up 100 appearances in the past three years. Good news followed as Maidenhead and Accrington lost whilst Morecambe drew, allowing us to go 2nd on goal difference.

Leamington 4:1 Brackley
    Breeden 7, Magunda 9, Chato 6, Gunning 7, Lanjesi 7 (Randles 7), Stokke 8, Wedgbury 7 (Jeffrey 7), Maxted 10, Bonne 7, Lavery 9, Maczynski 7.
    Goals - Lavery, Stokke, Wedgbury, Maxted.
    Assists - Maxted, Magunda x2.
    MotM - Maxted.

National League

Now came the first of the six pointers this month as we headed to Accrington (4th) with a record of one win, one draw and one defeat against them, the defeat coming earlier this season as we lost 2:1 at home. Alen Agovic made a return from injury with Gunning relegated to the bench in the only change to the side that knew what they needed to do. Did they listen? Sam Wedgbury certainly did as he inspired us to two goals and set up Bonne for a third before being withdrawn on the 72nd minute to a standing ovation from our visiting supporters at the Wham Stadium. Presumably, George Michael and co. were nowhere to be seen at the final whistle! So that's Accrington who lose on the night but both Morecambe and Maidenhead also picked up 3 points that keeps us 4 points behind the top and in 2nd place only goal difference ahead of Morecambe as Accrington drop to 6th(!).

Accrington 0:3 Leamington
    Breeden 8, Magunda 8, Chato 5, Agovic 7, Lanjesi 7, Stokke 8, Wedgbury 10 (Jeffrey 7), Maxted 7, Bonne 9, Lavery 8, Maczynski 7.
    Goals - Wedgbury x2, Bonne.
    Assists - Magunda, Bonne, Wedgbury.
    MotM - Wedgbury.

National League

Now, could we really turn the screw on Maidenhead (1st) three days after facing Accrington? With a record only one defeat in six games against the current league leaders, the bookies were tipping us for victory but I was concerned about the fitness of our players. Fortunately, all but Maxted and Maczynski looked ready to go which saw Jak Marsh and Jamie Byrne come in. However, Gudger also lined up at left-back in a third change for us as Chato had once again lost his form in another frustrating show of inconsistency from our versatile German player. I had the feeling that the first goal could be key in this game and when John Lanjesi powered in a header, his first goal of the season, I celebrated as wildly as the supporters did in the stands. My mood got better when their top striker, Mark Cullen (23 goals so far this season) was sent off for headbutting Agovic though we then lost Stokke to injury a minute later. We simply had to play it clever now against 10 men but to my horror, Maidenhead grabbed an equaliser with 15 minutes left on the clock! In all honesty, we hadn't managed the game very well as Maidenhead were always a threat despite having only 10 men. But as I ranted and raved on the sidelines, Marsh, still only 17 years of age, popped up with a winner in the 88th minute that saw most of the substitutes spill out onto the pitch in celebration! We were now only a point behind Maidenhead but so were Morecambe after they also won to keep with us on goal difference.

Leamington 2:1 Maidenhead
    Breeden 7, Magunda 6, Gudger 7, Agovic 7, Lanjesi 6, Stokke 6 (Sousa Silva 7), Wedgbury 7 (Jeffrey 6), Marsh 8, Bonne 7, Lavery 8, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Lanjesi, Marsh.
    Assists - Lavery.
    MotM - Marsh.

The bad news was that Stokke was now out for a month after he'd pulled his hamstring. We were now looking to Luis Sousa Silva to find form again after Stokke had worked his way into the reckoning in the past couple of months. Richard Laws was also told to keep on his toes in case we needed him. There was good news for Kevin Sundstrom though who has been called up once more to the Sweden Under 21's but has yet to appear for them! Macauley Bonne also received a call up for Zimbabwe.

We were due to play FC United on a Tuesday evening but bad weather forced the match to be postponed until the following Wednesday. In the meantime, Maidenhead won and Morecambe drew as we were pushed to 3rd. Jak Marsh was then ruled out for two weeks with a groin strain sustained in training.

In other news, Chris Kiely confirmed his departure from the club in the Summer which was always likely to happen once his contract expired. The 31 year old had been part of the squad when I arrived at the club but has featured just 27 times. He's now agreed to move to Deal in July, where presumably he'll be playing a lot of card games.

Huddersfield also returned with a 200k offer for our Polish winger which was swiftly rejected. I can see the lad being with us for a few more years yet and had no intention of cashing in.

National League

After a long 8 days since the initial match was postponed, we were heading to FC United (9th) who we have lost to just once in seven games. Obviously, we were without Stokke and Marsh for this one with Sousa Silva and Maxted replacing them, as was Maczynski with Byrne making way. After a bright start, we reached half-time without any goals in the game. The hosts started to take control afterwards, with Tony Breeden forced into a few important saves before a potential game changing moment took place in the 65th minute as Sherwin Seedorf was shown his marching orders for pushing Maczynski in the chest. But once again, I was left flabbergasted as the 10 men of FC United won 1:0 thanks to a goal from Scott Quigley and heroics from their man of the match, goalkeeper Scott Low. The results means we're now 4 points from 1st and Morecambe are 2nd with a point ahead of us.

FC United 1:0 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Magunda 6, Gudger 6, Agovic 7, Lanjesi 5, Sousa Silva 6, Wedgbury 7 (Jeffrey 6), Maxted 6, Bonne 6, Lavery 7, Maczynski 7.

There was some good news to be positive about though as Kevin Sundstrom finally made his under 21 debut for Sweden after numerous call-ups! He came on as a substitute in the 54th minute as Sweden lost 3:1 to England but to feature against the likes of Callum Hudson-Odoi, Edward Nketiah and Ryan Sessegnon will have been a great experience for our 19 year old.

National League

Naturally, I was gutted after all our hard work against Maidenhead and Accrington only to lose against 10 men. There had been good news going into this fixture though as Maidenhead lost to Telford on the Friday night before our game against Woking. It's a chance to restore the one point gap to the league leaders but we'd be doing it without Lanjesi, Sousa Silva, Maxted and Lavery as Gunning, Laws, Dan Quigley and Daniel Udoh came into the team, the latter making his debut for us at long last. It was Laws who made a difference from the start as he set up Wedgbury before teeing up Quigley to double our lead. Two then became four as Bonnea and Maczynski found the net by half-time. It's a good job we did have the four goal lead as Gunning was sent off in the 80th minute for a second booking, seeing Woking score twice in a minute though Jeffrey then got a 5th goal after coming off the bench. More good news followed as Morecambe conceded twice in the last four minutes to lose 3:1 to York!

Leamington 5:2 Woking
    Breeden 7, Magunda 8, Gudger 7, Gunning 6, Agovic 6, Laws 8, Wedgbury 8 (Jeffrey 7), Quigley 9, Bonne 8 (Lanjesi 6), Udoh 8 (Byrne 6), Maczynski 7.
    Goals - Bonne, Quigley, Wedgbury, Maczynski, Jeffrey.
    Assists - Laws x2, Udoh, Quigley.
    MotM - Quigley.

What a month it's been! Apart from that hiccup against FC United where we really should have beaten 10 men, we've won every game which has seen me win the Manager of the Month award for only the fourth time in my career, my first for 16 months! Having been seven points from the top this time last month, we've narrowed it back to a single point again and most importantly, we've now matched our point tally from last season! Just one more point and we'll be enjoying our best ever season yet!

He may have only scored once and set up one goal this month but one man who continues to play a key part in the team is Caolan Lavery as he keeps the midfield ticking over, often being the man that plays the pass before the assist. Special mention must go to Sam Wedgbury too for his efforts and to Macauley Bonne for filling in well for Lorenzo Musto, as Joe Magunda too for his assists from defence.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Tense stuff indeed!! Lavery is a cracking player at this level. Been disappointed with Sundstrom this season, but he can be the hero in the last 7 games!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'd be surprised if he gets a look-in, to be honest. Even when handed a chance, he just hasn't matched the levels he has set in previous seasons which is a huge shame. It's a squad game though and it doesn't mean I'm writing him off.

vCash
    Some card happy refs in these games. Is that a red card in each of the last 3 games ?

It is a good turn round in form at the right time, but any of the top 5 could still be in with a shout of promotion. More twists and turns to come

What is Magunda's scoring record ? For a full back, he does seem to bag himself regular goals and assists.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Brilliant month!

That puts you in prime position to go up now - just as it looked shaky

But winning those 6 pointers was huge

But no slip ups in final hurdle!

Seems like to Team talk worked wonders!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Some card happy refs in these games. Is that a red card in each of the last 3 games ?

It is a good turn round in form at the right time, but any of the top 5 could still be in with a shout of promotion. More twists and turns to come

What is Magunda's scoring record ? For a full back, he does seem to bag himself regular goals and assists.
    Yep, three in a row and thankfully just the one for us. Though it made no difference against FC United!

There's something about Magunda that he gets assists often. He takes the corners a lot for us and has 5 so far this season, a joint-high for assists recorded. The brace he got last month was his first goals of the season though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Brilliant month!

That puts you in prime position to go up now - just as it looked shaky

But winning those 6 pointers was huge

But no slip ups in final hurdle!

Seems like to Team talk worked wonders!
    We needed it! Great that some of the backup players actually stepped it up this month too when we really needed it as not many have managed to do so throughout the season. Was great to see Udoh shine on his debut too.

vCash
    Great way to respond after the poor month.

Right back in the mix.
    I spy a title in your future.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    Open ended. But I'm sticking my neck out and saying this season. As long as you keep up momentum in the early part of the month.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Near future or next season?
    Why not both ?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Open ended. But I'm sticking my neck out and saying this season. As long as you keep up momentum in the early part of the month.
    Confident! I'd like to think it's definitely possible to finish 1st. Looking at the run-in this morning, we are up against teams that we certainly can beat so the players just have to keep working for the wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Why not both ?
    Ooh, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves One step at a time, we're not all wizards like you

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 4 - April
    Nations = 21

I couldn't quite believe how things had panned out last month, putting ourselves in an excellent position to grab a promotion place though we were still quite wary of Morecambe and Solihull being only two and five points behind us, with Solihull also due to face us in our last game of the season next month. Personally, I was absolutely delighted that with seven games to play, we now only needed a point to record our best season yet and improve on last season which in my mind has always been the main objective. We'd registered more wins, we were only 6 goals from matching last year's tally of 90 strikes and we had only conceded 49 which is far better than the 77 and 74 that we'd recorded in the last two years in this league. As far as I was concerned, I was happy but there was no way I was going to let up on the players, urging them to continue putting the pressure on Maidenhead who will also have the distraction of featuring in the FA Trophy Semi Final this month as well.

National League

We kick things off with a Friday night home tie against Telford United (11th) who we've beaten just once in five meetings. This was a chance to temporarily top the table and put pressure Maidenhead and we'd have to do it without Gavin Gunning (banned) and Macauley Bonne (international duty). John Lanjesi replaces Gunning and 17 year old Adam Nelson got the nod to start for only the third time. Three changes in midfield also saw the return of Luis Sousa Silva, John Maxted and Caolan Lavery who had all been rested in the 5:2 win over Woking. The performances in that game from Dan Quigley and Daniel Udoh had earned them a place on the bench. Lavery got us off to the perfect start in the 8th minute but Terry Kennedy levelled the match in the 21st. Three minutes into the second half, Sam Wedgbury bagged a goal that turned out to be a winning one as we saw out what was a very tight game indeed. The following day, Maidenhead returned to the top after beating Curzon Ashton 1:0. A win was also recorded for Morecambe whilst Solihull drew.

Leamington 2:1 Telford Utd
    Breeden 8, Magunda 6, Gudger 7, Lanjesi 8, Agovic 8, Sousa Silva 8 (Randles 6), Wedgbury 8 (Udoh 7), Maxted 7, Nelson 6 (Powell 7), Lavery 8, Maczynski 7.
    Goals - Lavery, Wedgbury.
    Assists - Maxted.
    MotM - Lavery.

Bolton were not leaving Piotr Maczynski alone and came in with a 240,000 offer which was of course, rejected. At this stage, I wasn't even prepared to negotiate. Meanwhile, Tony Breeden was the only player to be named in the English National League Team of the Year for this season as he enjoys a superb season in starting 32 league games, conceding 37.

National League

Bonne return to the club having failed to feature for Zimbabwe and is immediately put back into the starting eleven to face Ebbsfleet (7th) with Nelson dropped from the squad as Ryan Powell keeps his spot on the bench. This game comes on the Sunday after Morecambe won to go top of the league, with Maidenhead featuring in the FA Trophy instead. As a result, Wedgbury finding the net again in the 49th minute sets us up nicely but for Ebbsfleet to score in the 66th. We thrown on Powell and Udoh for the final 20 minutes and it's Powell to sets up Maczynski for a crucial winner! It's also the Pole's 10th goal of the season whilst Wedgbury's was a 17th strike that sets a club record for most goals scored in a season.

Ebbsfleet Utd 1:2 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Magunda 6, Gudger 6, Lanjesi 6, Agovic 7, Sousa Silva 7, Wedgbury 8 (Udoh 7), Maxted 7, Bonne 7 (Powell 7), Lavery 7, Maczynski 8.
    Goals - Wedgbury, Maczynski.
    Assists - Powell.

Huddersfield come in for Maczynski at 300,000 which is beginning to worry me, being only 700k now from his 1m release clause. I offer the Pole a new deal which he again rejects as we can't afford his wages. Meanwhile, Maidenhead feature on the Wednesday evening, thrashing Sutton Utd 4:1 to return to the top as all three teams don't drop any points so far this month.

National League

Aldershot may be 18th but are something of a bogey team for us as we've never beaten them in four meetings, as they have won three times. Erik Stokke returns from injury to take over from Sousa Silva in just the one change as we hit the ground running with numerous chances to score until Maxted finds the breakthrough in the 40th and Bonne gets our second three minutes later! But we emerge a different side in the second half as Aldershot score not once but twice within the first ten minutes. But Powell comes off the bench to play a part once again as he fires in a winner for only his second goal of the season, assisted of course by Lavery!

Leamington 3:2 Aldershot
    Breeden 6, Magunda 6, Gudger 6, Lanjesi 6, Agovic 7, Stokke 6, Wedgbury 7, Maxted 8, Bonne 7 (Powell 8), Lavery 8, Maczynski 7.
    Goals - Maxted, Bonne, Powell.
    Assists - Bonne, Stokke, Lavery.

National League

With Maidenhead playing in their second leg of the FA Trophy, we return to the top once more and Morecambe sit in 2nd place after they again win too. 48 hours later, we're all in action away from home on Monday evening which for us means seven changes as Joe Magunda, Connor Gudger, Stokke, Wedgbury, Maxted, Lavery and Maczynski are all left behind as we play Wrexham (14th). Zoumana Bakayoko, Liam Randles (first start of the season), Sousa Silva, Jak Marsh, Udoh, Anthony Jeffrey and Jamie Byrne are the seven who are tasked with keeping our run going in their place. There's actually an 8th change too as Powell has worked his way ahead of Bonne to start as well. It's a lot of changes but it's a fit team that take to the field and we witness Jeffrey handing us a 4th minute lead and Byrne doubles it with his first goal of the season! But then Wrexham fight back with two goals of their own through Millen Hoefdraad by half-time. With Morecambe and Maidenhead losing at this stage, I can't hide my frustration as I urge the players to get back out there and finish the job. Instead, Kyle Vassell caps their comeback off with a winning goal. Fortunately for us, Morecambe lost too but Maidenhead scored twice in the last two minutes at Solihull to salvage a point and are only a point behind us with a game in hand.

Wrexham 3:2 Leamington
    Breeden 6, Randles 6, Bakayoko 7, Lanjesi 6, Agovic 7, Sousa Silva 7, Jeffrey 8, Marsh 6 (Quigley 7), Powell 7, Udoh 6, Byrne 8.
    Goals - Jeffrey, Byrne.

Another 48 hours later, Maidenhead host Wrexham who I sincerely hope can repeat their comeback against ourselves! Instead, Maidenhead win 5:1 and go two points clear at the top.

National League

The last game of the month comes against Sutton Utd (23rd) in front of the TV cameras on Friday evening. Six changes are made to bring back Magunda, Gudger, Maxted, Wedgbury, Lavery and Maczynski. Urged to go out and simply express themselves, we see Powell get a goal ruled out for offside which thankfully doesn't put him off his game as he then bags a brace by the break. Another two goals are recorded in the second half through Stokke and Lavery, the latter getting his 10th of the season and we're back at the top of the table once though it comes at a cost as Wedgbury goes off with a hamstring that ends his season as he won't recover from it for a month!

Leamington 4:0 Sutton Utd
    Breeden 7, Magunda 6, Gudger 7, Lanjesi 7, Agovic 7, Sousa Silva 7 (Stokke 9), Wedgbury 9 (Bonne 7), Maxted 7 (Quigley 7), Powell 9, Lavery 9, Maczynski 7.
    Goals - Powell x2, Stokke, Lavery.
    Assists - Wedgbury x2.
    MotM - Lavery.

The good news is that York hold Maidenhead to a draw the following day which means we are now top by goal difference! Elsewhere, Kevin Sundstrom comes off the bench and puts in a good performance for the Sweden Under 21's who lose 3:0 to Switzerland. Bolton table an offer of 110,000 for him, which is rejected.

I am absolutely gutted to lose Sam Wedgbury for our final two games of the season as we seek to achieve promotion. He has been a massive part of the squad since we sold Karl Ledsham that led us to purchase his services for 35,000 from Wrexham and has scored a staggering 17 goals from the right wing. He has even outshone Caolan Lavery this month which takes some doing!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast