Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 1 - September
    Nations = 0

We're in the thick of it now, aren't we?! No left winger and no defensive midfielder in the squad until January during which we will play 24 league games. Bring it on!

It is going to be tough, that's for sure. But I'm happy to see what those 24 games bring me in the meantime. I had the numbers in the squad to fill in where necessary, 24 players to choose from and I have no doubt we will pick up enough good results to perform reasonably enough in the league. It was also a great opportunity now to use the next four months to see what my three scouts would turn up as I will rely on them to turn up talents for the positions that I'd need to fill.

National League North

An unchanged lineup travelled to Harrogate who have had an identical start to ourselves in winning and drawing the first two games. By half-time we were 2:0 down and a red card for Harrogate's midfielder saw us given a chance to get back into it. We did pull one back through Dan Quigley's first strike of the season but it wasn't enough to stop us losing for the first time.

Harrogate 2:1 Leamington.
    Breeden 7, Fordsick 7, Gudger 6, Francis 6, Magunda 6, Husband 7 (Ogleby 7), Till 7 (Hawker 7), Quigley 7, N.Gordon 7, Moore 6 (English 7), Owen 6.
    Goals - Quigley.
    Assists - English.

An offer for goalkeeper Lewis Feeney of £22,000 from Aldershot was negotiated to £55,000 and a 25% sell-on clause. As he picked up a 5 during pre-season, he was highly unlikely to feature much this season with three other goalkeepers on the books. It was tempting to accept it just to keep the club out of debt but in truth, I felt that it would be a mere dip in the ocean if I were to accept it. The club would end up in debt regardless and I would much prefer to worry about finances at the end of the season rather than trying to keep on top of it now. My plan would be to review things at the end of the season. As of the 7th July, we were 9k in debt. £69,884 had been spent on wages last month with just 10k coming into the club. My efforts in reducing wages had not avoided this situation so we'll cross that bridge at the end of the season and focus our efforts on the pitch.

National League North

Despite a first defeat, the team were unchanged to welcome my old team Alfreton to New Windmill Ground. We certainly put on a show for the 818 spectators in attendance with Alfreton hitting back twice after we'd taken a lead before goals from Craig Owen and James Husband wrapped up a great 4:2 win!

Leamington 4:2 Alfreton.
    Breeden 7, Forsdick 7, Gudger 8, Francis 6, Magunda 7, Husband 7 (Ogleby 7), Till 6 (Hawker 6), Quigley 8, N.Gordon 7, Moore 10 (English 7), Owen 7.
    Goals - Moore, Quigley, Owen, Husband.
    Assists - N.Gordon, Forsdick, Moore x2.
    MotM - Moore.

National League North

Although we won, there was a change to the team as Delroy Gordon took over from Liam Francis at centre-back. I also opted to swap the two wingers around so Craig Owen got some time at his preferred right wing spot with Till now out of position on the left. Salford hadn't won a game yet and it showed as they had just two shots all game. We had more possession but didn't do much with it but I was happy to go home with a first clean sheet of the season!

Salford 0:0 Leamington.
    Breeden 7, Forsdick 8, Gudger 6, D.Gordon 7, Magunda 6, Husband 7 (Ogleby 6), Owen 6, Quigley 6 (Hawker 6), N.Gordon 7, Moore 5, Till 6 (English 7).
    MotM - Forsdick.

National League North

Facing Darlington three days after playing at Salford, there were five changes which saw us field Quigley, English and Owens in unfamiliar roles. As a result, I didn't know what to expect so it was a pleasant surprise indeed to see us take a 2:0 lead into half-time and to hold onto it to pick up a second clean sheet in a row too.

Darlington 0:2 Leamington.
    Breeden 7, McNamee 7, Gudger 8, D.Gordon 7, Forsdick 7, Quigley 7, Till 6 (Hawker 6), Husband 7 (Sangha 7), Johnson 8 (McPike 6), English 8, Owens.
    Goals - Owens, English.
    Assists - Gudger.
    MotM - Owens.

Off the pitch, Aldershot came back in with a £75,000 offer for Lewis Feeney which I rather cheekily countered for £1,000,000! If you don't ask, you don't get... Of course, they gave it up!

National League North

Fitness meant that Simon Forsdick was rested for the next game at Gainsborough, our third away game in a row. There were recalls for Craig Owen, Nicky Gordon and Stefan Moore as well as Liam Francis who took over from Forsdick. A disallowed goal for English set the tone early on with English then scoring for real shortly afterwards. There'd be no third clean sheet in a row though as McNamee gave away a penalty that saw Gainsborough equalise.

Gainsborough 1:1 Leamington.
    Breeden 7, McNamee 8, Gudger 6, D.Gordon 8, Francis 6, Husband 6 (Owens 6), Owen 6, English 7, N.Gordon 6, Moore 8 (Quigley 6), Till 7 (Quigley 6).
    Goals - English.
    Assists - Moore.
    MotM - Moore.

National League North

Changes were the order of the day once more as a busy September continued with our sixth game of the month in what was only our second home game! Despite the home advantage, we fell behind and struggled to fight our way back into it though we did register more shots at goal. Dan Quigley's efforts can be forgiven given he's a centre midfield player trying his best on the left wing.

Leamington 0:1 Blyth Spartans.
    Breeden 7, McNamee 7, Gudger 7, D.Gordon 7 (Magunda 7), Forsdick 7, Husband 6, Till 6 (Owens 6), English 7, Johnson 6, Moore 7 (Sangha 7), Quigley 5.

National League North

We had 671 supporters to witness the defeat to Blyth Spartans and three days later, 711 came midweek to witness victory over Spennymoor. Delroy Gordon had a game to remember, scoring then going off injured before Spennymoor were reduced to ten men. We took advantage to add another through English in the second half to put us back on track.

Leamington 2:0 Spennymoor.
    Breeden 7, McNamee 7, Gudger 7, D.Gordon 7 (Magunda 7), Forsdick 7, Husband 6 (Owens 5), Owen 7, English 8, N.Gordon 8, Moore 9, Till 7 (Sangha 7).
    Goals - D.Gordon, English.
    Assists - Moore, Sangha.
    MotM - Moore.

National League North

It was bad news for Delroy Gordon as scans showed he'd pulled his hamstring and would be out for a month. His spot went to Liam Francis for yet another away trip to Tamworth but there were changes all round with a number of players looking knackered after a long month indeed. Fortunately, this was the last game of September and we almost went home with a win after Joe Magunda had given us the lead only for two second half goals to earn Tamworth the points instead.

Tamworth 2:1 Leamington.
    Breeden 7, McNamee 7, Gudger 6 (Forsdick 6), Francis 7, Magunda 6, Husband 7 (Owens 6), Till 6 (English 6), Sangha 7, Johnson 6, Quigley 6, Hawker 6.
    Goals - Magunda.

Eight games played this month and we'd lost three of them. Given the situation that the club found themselves in, I thought we'd done very well indeed to pick up three wins as well as a couple of draws. That left us in 11th place with the league leaders (York) six points ahead. I was not looking up this season though but behind my shoulder to ensure that we would not be threatened with relegation at any stage. We were three points ahead of 16th place and more importantly, eight points clear of the relegation zone.

Player of the month simply has to be Stefan Moore. No longer a player-coach, it meant that he could focus fully on his game and he's done well this month with four assists as well as getting his first goal. His age does mean he gets subbed quite a lot but it's great to know that he can contribute before that point!

vCash
    • These finances could be interesting!
    • 818 sounds like a decent crowd to me though?
    • Draw v Salfords is ok – they are the “big boy spenders” now IRL
    • Meh – if you did 250k or something for Feeney maybe’s they come back with something decent?
    • Moore- strength of 1 and work rate 3
    • Good enough month – 1 less loss and would have been happier
    • QUESTION – why is Ogleby not playing? Jayflo and I picked him out as maybe the “standout” striker – but looks like he is not getting a starting chance?

vCash
    The club just don't earn enough money and I'm not going to be able to save them by selling players. I'd sell one just to clear the debt and then I'd have to sell another and it just won't work. Got to be patience and play the long game with it.

818 was the highest at the time, gone down since!

We'll see if they do come back. Just a cheeky one as I'm not fussed about selling anybody yet.

1 less loss and you would have been happier? You do know this is the WORST team in the league, right?

Nicky Gordon played better in pre-season so got the spot nailed down right now. Ogleby has been coming in with Ricky Johnson but not got going in his appearances at all.

vCash
    Can't say Leamington Spa without putting on that posh Scottish accent Kevin Bridges does in his stand up set.

Decent start to the season, once the team is more balanced, hopefully in January, you can start looking up. I don't see you in relegation trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dweatherston11 View Post
    Can't say Leamington Spa without putting on that posh Scottish accent Kevin Bridges does in his stand up set.

Decent start to the season, once the team is more balanced, hopefully in January, you can start looking up. I don't see you in relegation trouble.
    A fair assessment My aim for the first season is to just get it under my belt and avoid relegation. If I can start to add 4/5 new faces to get started with, I'll be happy.

It'll take time but I believe we'll get there!

vCash
    #OglebyIn

That is a truly manky colour scheme for The Spa.

Reunion might be a good nation to have a look at. EU nationals if I am not mistaken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFlo View Post
    #OglebyIn

That is a truly manky colour scheme for The Spa.

Reunion might be a good nation to have a look at. EU nationals if I am not mistaken.
    I think there'll be a few little nations like that which will help at this level, hopefully the scouts will turn some players up

Ogleby will get his chance, I'm sure. Tough when there's 5 strikers for 1 spot.

The black on orange/gold colour scheme? I quite like it if I'm honest!

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 1 - October
    Nations = 0

We kick off the month with the news that we'll face Stafford Rangers in the FA Cup Qualifying Round. Home advantage too so here's hoping that we can put together a good run.

National League North

The pack is shuffled somewhat due to fitness concerns over a few players as this is a midweek fixture following the 2:1 defeat at Tamworth. Nicky Gordon and Junior English both score to give us an early lead after just six minutes. Kidderminster pull one back but Dan Quigley comes off the bench to make it 3:1 before we concede a second late on but hang on for victory. Junior English is doing rather well, his goal being his fifth of the season and he's only started five games!

Leamington 3:2 Kidderminster.
    Breeden 7, Fordsick 8, Gudger 6, Francis 7, Magunda 7, Husband 7, Owen 7, English 9, N.Gordon 8 (Johnson 7), Moore 6 (Quigley 7), Till 7 (Owens 7).
    Goals - N.Gordon, English, Quigley.
    Assists - Forsdick.
    MotM - English.

I'm delighted to add two new faces to the backroom team, a physio and a scout. Both Welshmen, Wyn Jones is hired as a new physiotherapist whilst Peter Harding joins the scouting team which means we can cover a wider range of countries with four scouts on the books. Both don't have age on their side so hopefully they'll do us a job before they do retire!

National League North

David McNamee and Jordan Sangha are both recalled to the team having been rested. We take an early lead once more through Craig Owen but Cruzon Ashton turn it around to lead 2:1 by the 39th minute. We're then indebted to Nicky Gordon scoring a second successive goal in the 87th minute to salvage a point! The 33 year old striker is keeping out fan favourite Rob Ogleby but also set up the opening goal.

Curzon Ashton 2:2 Leamington.
    Breeden 5, McNamee 6, Gudger 6, Francis 6, Forsdick 6, Sangha 6, Owen 8, English 6 (Hawker 7), N.Gordon 9, Moore 6 (Johnson 7), Till 6 (Husband 7).
    Goals - Owen, N.Gordon.
    Assists - N.Gordon.
    MotM - N.Gordon.

FA Cup Qualifying Round

It's FA Cup day! I want the supporters to enjoy the occasion but the game comes at a bad time with a few players needing to be rested. After Tony Breeden's poor performance last time out, Neil Collett is given a first start in the sticks and David McNamee is rested for Joe Magunda. Josh Hawker and James Husband are tasked with playing out of position and Rob Ogleby is given a first start of the season too. It's a massive chance for the Welsh striker as we take on a non-league outfit but it's Magunda who gives us the lead. Stafford equalise after the break but goals from Owens and Ogleby himself confirm our entry into the FA Cup proper where we have been drawn at home to Crewe!

Leamington 3:1 Stafford.
    Collett 8, Magunda 7, Gudger 7 (McNamee 7), Francis 8, Forsdick 7, Husband 7 (Owens 7), Till 7, English 7, Ogleby 8, Moore 7 (Quigley 7), Hawker 6.
    Goals - Magunda, Owens, Ogleby.
    Assists - Moore, Till.
    MotM - Ogleby.

Despite my cheekiness last month in asking for £1,000,000 for 23 year old goalkeeper Lewis Feeney, Aldershot have returned with an offer of £20,000 for the stopper. This time, I've asked for £500,000 plus a 25% sell-on clause. Sadly, they are not interested at that price either.

National League North

Stockport at home as we return to league action where there are three changes, Sangha, Owen and Nicky Gordon being recalled. Ogleby had done well but Nicky's overall efforts have not been forgotten recently but it's great to have a two way battle between them going on. Nicky Gordon scores alongside English and Stefan Moore to wrap up a great 3:1 win.

Leamington 3:1 Stockport.
    Collett 7, Magunda 8, Gudger 7, Francis 7, Forsdick 7, Husband 7, Owen 7 (Owens 7), English 8 (Quigley 7), N.Gordon 8, Moore 8 (Ogleby 7), Sangha 7.
    Goals - English, N.Gordon, Moore.
    Assists - Magunda x2, Sangha.

National League North

Three players are rotated out of the team for a rest which sees Ogleby get his first league start. Unfortunately, it was one of those games where nothing went right and Bradford PA scored three goals in a crazy 13 minute spell in the first half. It was our first defeat after four games unbeaten so I didn't beat the players up too much about it.

Bradford PA 3:0 Leamington.
    Collett 5, Magunda 6, Gudger 7 (McNamee 7), Francis 6, Forsdick 6, Owens 5, Owen 5 (Quigley 6), English 6, Ogleby 6, Moore 6, Till 6 (Hawker 6).

National League North

Chris Kiely is given an official warning after Kasey Keller made comments about poor fitness in training. Luckily, he recovers in time for the next game because it's his chance to shine after Collett's performance. James Husband and Nicky Gordon are also brought back in to play at Southport. Gordon marks his return to the team with his 5th goal of the season and English gets the second in the 89th minute!

Southport 0:2 Leamington.
    Kiely 8, Magunda 6, Gudger 7, Francis 7, Forsdick 6, Husband 7 (Sangha 7), Owen 7, English 8, N.Gordon 8, Moore 8 (Ogleby 7), Till 7 (Quigley 6).

National League North

Changes are the order of the day again as we welcome York to our ground. It's a tough looking fixture as McNamee, Quigley and Sangha are played out of position. McNamee though is forced off injured on the 48th minute and York score just two minutes later.

Leamington 0:1 York.
    Kiely 7, Forsdick 6, McNamee 7 (Gudger 6), Francis 7, Magunda 6, Sangha 6, Till 6 (Owens 6), Husband 7 (Hawker 7), Ogleby 6, Moore 8, Quigley 6.

Having been 11th a month ago, it's great to see us looking comfortable at this level and sitting in 9th place now. FC United are 11 points clear of us but I'm not aiming that high this season anyway. We're already 14 points clear of the relegation zone so I have high hopes of us making progress once we start to get new faces in. It's all quiet on that front though as the scouts haven't really found anyone yet. There was an Australian striker recommended as a free agent but he soon signed for another team as I didn't put in an offer, given we have five on the books at the moment anyway.

Speaking of strikers, Nicky Gordon has been singled out for praise this month. He's started four times, scoring four goals, setting up one and picked up a man of the match award. It's form that shows why he's in the team on merit at the moment as he's starting to get amongst the goal having only scored one in seven before this month. His performances had always been good and now it's good to see him adding goals to his game as well.

vCash
    Looks like Morgan is much better in performances than my man Ogleby! Who's providing the most assists for you and what position? CM?

vCash
    • Fecking age on Wyn Jones - I reckon he’s an old school physio of the “magic sponge”
    • Ogleby starts – and scores - But hasn’t really done much since with fleeting opportunities
    • Crewe – crikey – that seems like a massive team to play at this stage – not sure if home is good or not?
    • Bizarre battering loss in the middle of a fine run! Maybe too many (enforced) changes didn’t help
    • Fair play to Gordon – must be re-living any glory years he had!
    • Very very good month overall – happy days in top half!

vCash
    Looks like Morgan is much better in performances than my man Ogleby! Who's providing the most assists for you and what position? CM?
    Assists is that man Stefan Moore, he has 7 now and plays behind the lone striker.

Who's Morgan? Guessing you mean Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    • Fecking age on Wyn Jones - I reckon he’s an old school physio of the “magic sponge”
    • Ogleby starts – and scores - But hasn’t really done much since with fleeting opportunities
    • Crewe – crikey – that seems like a massive team to play at this stage – not sure if home is good or not?
    • Bizarre battering loss in the middle of a fine run! Maybe too many (enforced) changes didn’t help
    • Fair play to Gordon – must be re-living any glory years he had!
    • Very very good month overall – happy days in top half!
    Yeah, Ogleby had two more starts up front but didn't score He comes off the bench a lot too but often just to replace Moore's tiring legs at AMC.

I think I'd have preferred to play Crewe away. Not bothered about home advantage but it'd be nice to pocket just a bit of cash. But we'll give it a go!

It's quiet an ageing squad. Average age is 28.38 and 9 of them are over 30, so we get a lot of tired legs for these busy schedules.

vCash
    I did indeed mean Gordon. Was either tiredness or a typo!

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 1 - November
    Nations = 0

Moving into November, we're now just two months away until new faces can be signed. That's if my scouts can find anybody else as I've only pre-arranged a deal with the Welsh teenager as it stands. With only three scouts, it was tricky to get them out far and wide but that will hopefully change after the appointment of Peter Harding last month and I'm delighted to confirm that we've added a fifth scout in the form of Lewis Haldane and a third physiotherapist who looks to be the best of the lot. He'll become senior physiotherapist in the not too distant future, I would imagine.

National League North

Delroy Gordon gives us a boost in returning from a 5 week injury layout as 6 changes are made for the visit of FC United. Junior English keeps up his goalscoring record to give us the opener but the visitors equalise just before half-time. The final score of 1:1 is pleasing, given that FC United are top of the league.

Leamington 1:1 FC United.
    Kiely 7, Magunda 6, Gudger 7, Francis 8, D.Gordon 6, Husband 7 (Quigley 7), Owen 7, English 8, N.Gordon 6, Hawker 8 (Ogleby 7), Till 7 (Owens 7).
    Goals - English.
    Assists - Till.
    MotM - English.

FA Cup First Round

It's FA Cup day but changes are needed with Owen, English and Gordon needing a rest. Ricky Johnson is given the nod up front but hopes of an upset go awry when Crewe score in the 21st minute. Bearing in mind that Crewe are two leagues above us, I'm just happy that we don't make it easy for them and Johnson actually scores in the 81st minute to force a replay! The winner will take on Yeovil at home in the next round.

Leamington 1:1 Crewe.
    Kiely 8, Fordsick 6, Gudger 7, Francis 6, D.Gordon 6, Hawker 6, Till 6 (Quigley 6), Husband 6, Johnson 8, Moore 7 (McPike 7), Sangha 6 (Owens 7).
    Goals - Johnson.
    Assists - Husband.

National League Nortth

Shuffling the pack once more as we travelled to Nuneaton for a midweek match, we fell behind twice in the second half but got back into it with goals from Delroy Gordon and Peter Till. But where Nuneaton scored two more in the second half, we could only score once with Liam Francis scoring with the score at 4:2. Chris Kiely has a performance to forget and a reminder that our goalkeepers haven't quite kept up any consistency in their performances so far.

Nuneaton 4:3 Leamington.
    Kiely 4, Magunda 6, Forsdick 7, Francis 7, D.Gordon 5, Owens 6, Owen 6, English 7 (McPike 7), N.Gordon 8, Moore 6 (Quigley 7), Till 7 (Sangha 6).
    Goals - D.Gordon, Till, Francis.
    Assists - N.Gordon.
    MotM - N.Gordon.

National League North

David McNamee returns to the team after a spell out injured which is a timely boost but Nicky Gordon and Junior English sit this one out in rotation. It's a chance for Ricky Johnson to shine after his cup exploit against Crewe but after conceding in the 43rd minute, it looked as though we wouldn't get back in it when Husband popped up with a strike in the 75th minute to avoid losing back to back games for the first time.

Leamington 1:1 Chorley.
    Kiely 7, McNamee 6, Gudger 7, Francis 7, D.Gordon 5, Hawker 6 (Owens 5), Till 6 (Sangha 6), Husband 8, Johnson 8, Moore 7 (McPike 6), Quigley 6.
    Goals - Husband.
    MotM - Johnson.

FA Cup First Round Replay

Nicky Gordon and Junior English are brought in to face Crewe this time after being rested for the first game. There's a surprise in store too in the sticks as Chris Kiely is replaced by Tony Breeden. It takes just five minutes for a goal to be scored and it's from English to hand us a shock lead! But Crewe level matters just five minutes and the next 80 minutes results in no goals which takes the game to extra time! We actually perform quite well and could have gone home with a deserved goal but it's not to be. Instead, it's penalties and Johnson, Owen, Gordon and Hawker all score to send us through with Breeden saving from Paul Green and Zoumana Bakayoko sending his spot-kick wide!

The percentage of the gate receipts means we've picked up a handy £45,030 as well as £9,000 in prize money. It's a figure that almost clears the debt with the club now £12,038 in the red.

Crewe 1:1 Leamington (Leamington win 4:2 on penalties)
    Breeden 8, McNamee 6, Gudger 6, Francis 6, Forsdick 7, Hawker 6, Owen 7, English 7 (Quigley 7), N.Gordon 6, Moore 7 (Johnson 7), Till 7 (Owens 7).
    Goals - English.

FA Cup Second Round

I'm immensely relieved to see we now have ten days before playing our next game which just so happens to be the second round tie against Yeovil. It means I have a full squad without the need to rest anyone for once although Husband twisted a knee in training and was out for two weeks. There was just the one change to the team that started at Crewe though with Ricky Johnson starting ahead of Nicky Gordon. Having already beaten Crewe, I urged the players to hold no fears in facing another League Two side but the game didn't start in the best manner as both centre halves had to go off injured in the first 30 minutes. Despite that, we took the game all the way to full-time and managed to force another replay! The winner will play Reading at home!

Leamington 0:0 Yeovil.
    Breeden 8, McNamee 8, Gudger 6, Francis 6 (Magunda 7), Forsdick 6 (D.Gordon 7), Hawker 7, Till 6 (Quigley 6), English 7, Johnson 7, Moore 6, Owen 6.
    MotM - Breeden.

National League North

Back in action in midweek again, we are down to the bare bones in defence with Forsdick and Francis both out for two weeks whilst three midfielders are rested as well. It gets worse as the game gets underway and David McNamee pulls up injured which means Josh Hawker, a centre midfielder, is asked to fill in at right-back. We never had much of a chance after that.

Telford Utd 2:0 Leamington.
    Breeden 6, McNamee 6 (Hawker 6), Gudger 7, D.Gordon 7, Magunda 5, Owens 6, Till 7 (Moore 7), English 6, Johnson 8, Sangha 6, Quigley 5 (Owen 6).

After playing seven games this month, it's starting to feel as though the players aren't able to keep up with the demanding fixture list. Progress in the FA Cup has come at a cost this month as we've failed to win a single league match, drawing twice and losing twice which has seen us drop to 13th. I see no reason to panic though, given that we're still 13 points clear of the danger spots but with just three defenders on the books, we'll be tested even more so in the next month which will include the FA Cup Replay at Yeovil.

It's been a mixed month overall for the players with no-one particularly standing out. Despite scoring only one goal, a critical one at that, Ricky Johnson has been the best player after out-muscling Nicky Gordon to be the current number nine.

vCash
    Given its highly unlikely you'll grab promotion this season, maybe it's worth prioritising the cups to the best of your abilities for the revenue. Yeovil isn't Old Trafford but it's still bigger than our Spa's ground! The money is at a premium.

Will the Welsh lad slot straight into the line up or will he be bedded in?

vCash
    • You are dropping some money on all of those backroom staff – understandable given you need to sign a wedge of players though!
    • Good result against the league leaders!
    • Great draw v Crewe and TBH a replay is sort of perfect to bring in some cash!
    • Shocker of a day for GK v Nuneaton. Gordon is also on a mediocre run as well……..
    • Gordon with another poor game v Chorley – has he been warned?!
    • Yesssssssssssssss – what a result v Crewe and some cash to reduce the debt. Players must be fooked after that though!
    • Ah – a rest – Yeovil seems ok – home again – good chance to make 3rd round………….ah a draw – and Reading for the winner – now it’s a shame THAT wasn’t away!
    • Telford – injuries and squad being properly tested now – ugh
    • Not a great month in league but you SHOULD be good to escape relegation. Do that and re-shape squad is what first season is about
    • Ricky John singled out for praise – he has ONE goal?! #wewantogleby

vCash
    Given its highly unlikely you'll grab promotion this season, maybe it's worth prioritising the cups to the best of your abilities for the revenue. Yeovil isn't Old Trafford but it's still bigger than our Spa's ground! The money is at a premium.

Will the Welsh lad slot straight into the line up or will he be bedded in?
    I can see your logic though I've never been one for prioritising games and just take each one as it comes!

The young Welshman is a D/DMRC. Ultimately, I'll look to use him as a defender but for now, he'll be an actual, an authentic, a natural, defensive midfielder! What's one of them?!

• You are dropping some money on all of those backroom staff – understandable given you need to sign a wedge of players though!
    • Good result against the league leaders!
    • Great draw v Crewe and TBH a replay is sort of perfect to bring in some cash!
    • Shocker of a day for GK v Nuneaton. Gordon is also on a mediocre run as well……..
    • Gordon with another poor game v Chorley – has he been warned?!
    • Yesssssssssssssss – what a result v Crewe and some cash to reduce the debt. Players must be fooked after that though!
    • Ah – a rest – Yeovil seems ok – home again – good chance to make 3rd round………….ah a draw – and Reading for the winner – now it’s a shame THAT wasn’t away!
    • Telford – injuries and squad being properly tested now – ugh
    • Not a great month in league but you SHOULD be good to escape relegation. Do that and re-shape squad is what first season is about
    • Ricky John singled out for praise – he has ONE goal?! #wewantogleby
    I like a full quota of backroom staff as I think it's the one of the most important things to get done. You need enough physios to cope with injuries and I rely completely on the scouts to find me new players so I want to get all 7 in. Assistant manager and coaches are all set though.

No-one gets warned for poor performances, they're not robots, they can't put in 10/10 performances every week. Would you have warned Karius after his CL final performance? The lad will feel bad enough as it is.

Look at Johnson's form, it's not been a great month but he's been the most consistent with his performances. He's not had that many starts either. You kept playing John Hartson even though he had about 3 goals in 40 games

vCash
    I think my point is Gordeon continually was mediocre for a number of games in a row - not a one off

Hey - Hartson offers something differnt and brings the best out of those around him - and we have the results that prove it

I never know if having 3 physios makes any difference at all vs 1? (in the game)

vCash
    The same applies to Karius then, would you warn him after clanger after clanger?

I know what you mean though but I don't go in for warning players on performances, not my style.

I'd have thought that being able to have up to 3 physios will have an impact. I had one at the start of the season and picked up a lot of injuries. Got 3 now and don't seem to get as many? At least in training anyway, the two CBs just got injured in-game.

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 1 - December
    Nations = 0

We're now in December which gives my scouts only a month now to find worthy players to join the club when the transfer window opens! I've actually been given a number of players since the season began, 129 in total, with the majority being from the same league. But in terms of being able to attract players, there were just 4 that'd consider joining us and we can't afford them!

National League North

I had more pressing things to worry about, such as how was I going to cope with only three fit defenders for the visit of Salford? When I say fit, I just mean they aren't injured. Connor Gudger wasn't 100% fit but would be forced to start anyway. I pushed Joe Magunda out to right-back and Dan Quigley had the unfortunate honour of filling in at centre half. Quigley didn't feel comfortable there, unsurprisingly, but the players responded brilliantly to win 2:0 despite being out played. We hadn't won in our last five league games so it was great to get one back on the board.

Leamington 2:0 Salford.
    Breeden 8, Magunda 6, Gudger 7, D.Gordon 7, Quigley 6, Owens 7, Till 7 (English 6), Hawker 7 (Sangha 6), N.Gordon 8, Moore 7, Owen 6 (McPike 6).
    Goals - Hawker, N.Gordon.
    Assists - Moore.
    MotM - Breeden.

FA Cup Second Round Replay

Forsdick and Francis both returned to light training but would not be fit to partake in the big game at Yeovil for the FA Cup replay. This time, Craig Owens drew the short straw to fill in at centre back with no doubt that he was in for a tough time. Yeovil took the lead but we surprised them once more as Ricky Johnson again got an FA Cup goal in the 40th minute with our first attempt. Unfortunately, we couldn't keep up the pace in the second half as Yeovil scored two more though Junior English did get his 10th of the season. We'd given it our best and went home with £59,430 in our share of the gate receipts!

Yeovil 3:2 Leamington.
    Breeden 7, Magunda 6, Gudger 6, D.Gordon 6, Owens 5, Hawker 5, Till 7 (Quigley 7), English 7, Johnson 8, Moore 6 (Sangha 7), Owen 6 (N.Gordon 7).
    Goals - Johnson, English.
    Assists - Moore.

National League North

We really were down to the bare bones after the FA Cup game in midweek. Gudger needed a rest but had to play at left back whilst Owens was again asked to play at centre-half as this was one game too soon for the injured players to come back. In midfield, I had to ask Rob Ogleby to play behind the lone striker and pushed Stefan Moore to the wing. It wasn't ideal but with North Ferriby firmly rooted to the bottom of the league, I was quietly confident of a win and we certainly did that! It went so well that I even decided to give Gudger a break and put Junior English on at left-back for the final 23 minutes. The only downside was Ogleby getting injured after 36 minutes.

North Ferriby 0:4 Leamington.
    Breeden 7, Magunda 7, Gudger 7 (English 6), D.Gordon 7, Owens 6, Sangha 7, Moore 8, Quigley 7, N.Gordon 10, Ogleby 7 (Perrow 7), Till 8 (Hawker 7).
    Goals - Till, Moore, N.Gordon x2.
    Assists - Gudger, N.Gordon, Magunda.
    MotM - N.Gordon.

National League North

We travelled to Spennymoor a week later looking in a much better shape. Ogleby and McNamee were in light training but at long last we had Francis and Forsdick back to full fitness and everyone else had enjoyed there being no game in midweek. Having taken the armband in the last game, Moore led by example once more to put us two goals clear before the inevitable happened. Gudger got injured! Moore then had to drop back into centre midfield when Junior English got himself a stupid red card for kicking out. We had 10 men for the final 24 minutes as I'd used up all my subs too. Spennymoor pulled one back but we held on for the win. Naturally English was warned for the red card but I was more concerned to learn that Gudger was now out for 3 weeks with the busy Christmas schedule on its way.

Spennymoor 1:2 Leamington.
    Breeden 8, Forsdick 7, Gudger 7 (Magunda 6), D.Gordon 6, Francis 6, English 6, Till 6 (Hawker 6), Husband 7 (Sangha 7), N.Gordon 8, Moore 8, Owen 6.
    Goals - Moore x2.
    Assists - Forsdick.
    MotM - Moore.

National League North

Joe Magunda was tasked with playing out of position at left-back and a frustrating game lay ahead as Curzon Ashton took a lead in the 12th minute, had a player sent off in the 37th minute yet held on to beat us.

Leamington 0:1 Curzon Ashton
    Breeden 7, Forsdick 8, Magunda 4, D.Gordon 7, Francis 7, Sangha 7, Till 6 (Hawker 7), Husband 6 (Owens 7), N.Gordon 7, Moore 6 (Quigley 7), Owen 6.
    MotM - Forsdick.

National League North

McNamee finally returns from injury and is picked ahead of Magunda to play at left-back. He's not a natural there but as a natural right-back, he seems to adapt to it much better. It's the only change to the team as we welcome Gainsborough who are then beaten 3:0!

Leamington 3:0 Gainsborough.
    Breeden 7, Forsdick 7, McNamee 7, D.Gordon 6, Francis 7, Sangha 7, Till 7 (Hawker 7), Husband 8, N.Gordon 8, Moore 7 (Johnsonn 7), Owen 7.
    Goals - Till, Husband, N.Gordon.
    Assists - N.Gordon, Moore.
    MotM - N.Gordon.

National League North

An unchanged line-up is a bit of a rarity but that's what we managed to do as we took on FC United of Manchester who are no longer top of the league, but second. They won't be either after Nicky Gordon's 10th goal of the season turned out to be the only one of the game!

FC United 0:1 Leamington.
    Breeden 8, Forsdick 7, McNamee 6, D.Gordon 7, Francis 5, Sangha 6, Till 7 (Quigley 6), Husband 7 (Hawker 7), N.Gordon 8, , Moore 6 (Johnson 7), Owen 7.

After a really tough November, I'm delighted with how things have panned out in December, particularly with the injury crisis in defence that we've had to endure. To lose just once in the league is great form and we've also picked up four clean sheets in six games which is amazing given we'd picked up the same amount in the previous twenty! It's starting to feel as though we can say we are in no danger at all of relegation so perhaps we can just enjoy how things go from here until the end of the season?

Back in top form after recently being dropped for Ricky Johnson and very briefly, Rob Ogleby, Nicky Gordon has bagged his 10th goal of the season recently and is a great team player too, setting up five as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The same applies to Karius then, would you warn him after clanger after clanger?

I know what you mean though but I don't go in for warning players on performances, not my style.

I'd have thought that being able to have up to 3 physios will have an impact. I had one at the start of the season and picked up a lot of injuries. Got 3 now and don't seem to get as many? At least in training anyway, the two CBs just got injured in-game.
    Apart from CL final, when did Karius make clanger after clanger last season? Only Oblak in Europe had more clean sheets than him from January 2018!

hn he joined and did make clangers he was soon dropped!

I think we all think mentally 3 physios "must" help - just no ide if it does I'm sure someone who knows the match engine must know

vCash
    • Bloody hell – awful % willing to join 
    • What a win v big spending Salford with bare bones in defence
    • Helluva effort v Yeovil and good to get some credit in the form of £££££££
    • Massive determination from the lads to pull in that barnstorming performance v North Ferriby! Looks like you are building a good siege mentality there
    • Crikey – another win – you’re flying now – that can’t be far off relegation avoided already!
    • Frustrating that you couldn’t get at least a point v 10 man Curzon
    • Then TWO clean sheets win – WHAT A MONTH!
    • Just 6 points between 4th and 12th though – very tight!
    • Nicky Gordon using all his experience and on absolute and confidence sky high!

Maybe after this month you can attract more players – hope so and would be good timing with window opening!

vCash
    I was another for Oglebly but Morgan, sorry I mean Gordon is doing the business

Really filling that backroom staff, hopefully when the transfer window opens again your scouts have found plenty of players for you as well.

An awesome result over Crewe, but November was a terrible month in the league, like you say though you are the worst team in the league with not many options in the current squad, so I'm sure you'll settle for a comfortable mid table finish.

A great December though and now up to 5th, nice to see Gordon find the back of the net again, hopefully you've got more than 4 players interested in joining now, and they're not asking for too much. Hard luck against Yeovil, but a great effort regardless.

vCash
    Apart from CL final, when did Karius make clanger after clanger last season? Only Oblak in Europe had more clean sheets than him from January 2018!

hn he joined and did make clangers he was soon dropped!

I think we all think mentally 3 physios "must" help - just no ide if it does I'm sure someone who knows the match engine must know
    I'm only winding you up re: Karious mate

• Bloody hell – awful % willing to join 
    • What a win v big spending Salford with bare bones in defence
    • Helluva effort v Yeovil and good to get some credit in the form of £££££££
    • Massive determination from the lads to pull in that barnstorming performance v North Ferriby! Looks like you are building a good siege mentality there
    • Crikey – another win – you’re flying now – that can’t be far off relegation avoided already!
    • Frustrating that you couldn’t get at least a point v 10 man Curzon
    • Then TWO clean sheets win – WHAT A MONTH!
    • Just 6 points between 4th and 12th though – very tight!
    • Nicky Gordon using all his experience and on absolute and confidence sky high!

Maybe after this month you can attract more players – hope so and would be good timing with window opening!
    Definitely going surprisingly well at this stage! Imagine how we'd look if we had actual round pegs in round holes and cover in each position?!

We'll see, I think I only have the Welshie to come in as it stands but we're coping very well on the pitch either way!

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I was another for Oglebly but Morgan, sorry I mean Gordon is doing the business

Really filling that backroom staff, hopefully when the transfer window opens again your scouts have found plenty of players for you as well.

An awesome result over Crewe, but November was a terrible month in the league, like you say though you are the worst team in the league with not many options in the current squad, so I'm sure you'll settle for a comfortable mid table finish.

A great December though and now up to 5th, nice to see Gordon find the back of the net again, hopefully you've got more than 4 players interested in joining now, and they're not asking for too much. Hard luck against Yeovil, but a great effort regardless.
    That's what I'm hoping, though a lot of them are taking their time and not finding many new players. But I was happy to just get this season out of the way and see what I'm working with in the squad to begin with and then start putting the pieces together.

Really can't argue with Nicky Gordon's form. Doesn't look the best but he's doing a job

Happy with how we've gone in the FA Cup. It's kept clearing the debt away but a shame that we didn't get through one more round to perhaps help us last the rest of the season.

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 1 - January
    Nations = 0

The January window is now open and I'm delighted to welcome 20 year old Liam Randles as my first signing for Leamington! A versatile player, he can play in defence in the middle or at right-back in addition to defensive midfield. The latter will be where I'll deploy him for the time being given that we have no cover there whatsoever, which frees our central midfielders to actually focus on playing in their own spot, though some will still be moved to the left wing as Randles is the only player to join us at this moment in time.

A day later, I was pleased to welcome two new faces who both join the club on loan for the remainder of the season. Marc Lancaster will be our temporary English representative, joining from Blyth Spartans and is a left-back. The other is Phil McGrath, a Northern Irish right winger who comes from Salford.

National League North

With Connor Gudger still out injured, the arrival of Lancaster really is a boost as I'd been fielding right-back David McNamee at left-back. He makes an immediate debut along with Liam Randles and Phil McGrath who is tasked with starting at right-wing. With only Peter Till being asked to play out of position on the left wing, the team looks more balanced. Lancaster is handed squad number 14, Randles gets the number 16 shirt and McGrath number 29. All three perform well with Nicky Gordon again on fire.

Leamington 3:0 Southport
    Breeden 7, McNamee 8, Lancaster 7, D.Gordon 7, Forsdick 7, Randles 7, McGrath 7, Husband 8 (Hawker 7), N.Gordon 9, Moore 7 (Johnson 6), Till 8 (Owen 6).
    Goals - Till, N.Gordon x2.
    Assists - Husband, Till, McNamee.
    MotM - N.Gordon.

National League North

Cup matches and postponed games means that we have a healthy two week break until our next fixture against Nuneaton at home. It gives Gudger time to recover from his injury and he actually comes back into the team but at the expense of Delroy Gordon at centre-half. Stefan Moore wins a penalty early on, converted by Till but we concede shortly after. More drama follows with Moore himself then putting us back ahead only to get sent off on the half-time mark for a two footed challenge. Though Breeden saved the resulting free-kick, it went out for a corner which Nuneaton then equalise from! From that point on, Nuneaton scored twice more even though Randles gets a first ever goal late on whilst we also lose Lancaster to injury!

Leamington 3:4 Nuneaton
    Breeden 6, McNamee 7, Lancaster 6 (D.Gordon 7), Gudger 6, Forsdick 6, Randles 7, McGrath 6, Husband 6 (Hawker 7), N.Gordon 6, Moore 7, Till7 (Owen 6).
    Goals - Till, Moore, Randles.
    Assists - Moore.

National League North

Moore is given an official warning for his first red card of the season whilst I'm relieved to see Lancaster is only out for 10 days with a twisted knee. Gudger moves to left-back to face Harrogate with Delroy Gordon recalled and James Husband is pushed forward to fill in for Moore with Hawker brought into the starting eleven. We start well with Husband opening the scoring but McGrath gets sent off in the 8th minute for pushing over an opponent. It leads to Owen being brought on with Hawker unfortunate to get subbed as Husband drops back into the middle and Owen plays wide right. We hold on to half-time and then Owen stupidly gets sent off too just 3 minutes into the second half for a headbutt! This time, I have to sacrifice Nicky Gordon as the striker and shut up shop for the rest of the game and amazingly, the 9 men held out!

Leamington 1:0 Harrogate
    Breeden 9, McNamee 7, Gudger 7, D.Gordon 6, Forsdick 6, Randles 8, McGrath 5, Hawker 6 (Owen 6), N.Gordon 7 (Sangha 6), Husband 9, Till 7.
    Goals - Husband.
    MotM - Husband.

National League North

I'm outraged to learn that I can't hand McGrath a warning for his red card but Owen gets one. Oddly enough, McGrath isn't banned for the next one but Owen is. With Till and Husband also knackered from their efforts last time out, there's some changes as I force Sangha and Quigley to play out of position for me at Stockport. Quigley himself scores twice to cancel out Stockport's goals and Nicky Gordon gives us the lead only for us to concede and go home with a draw.

Stockport 3:3 Leamington.
    Breeden 8, McNamee 6, Gudger 6, D.Gordon 7, Forsdick 5, Randles 7, McGrath 7, Hawker 7 (Owens 7), N.Gordon 7, Quigley 9 (English 6), Sangha 7 (Johnson 7).
    Goals - Quigley x2, N.Gordon.
    Assists - McGrath.
    MotM - Quigley.

We drop two places in the league this month but I'm still pleased with how things are panning out this season. The objective had been to simply survive at this level and I think we can say that we have now achieved that, being 20 points clear of the relegation spots with 12 games to play. We've lacked discipline this month though, which is a worry, but only lost once in four games.

There had been a bit of a merry-go-round system going on in the sticks this season with Chris Kiely starting 6 games and Neil Collett starting 3 (Lewis Feeney has yet to feature) but Tony Breeden has recently made the number one spot his own with some superb performances and was man of the match as we pulled off the win with a clean sheet despite having 9 men. It's nice to see some consistency in the goalkeeping department as although he has conceded 7 in two games this month, he has actually kept 6 clean sheets in our last 10 games.

vCash
    Good to see ya get some bodies in, less square pegs in round holes can only be a good thing even if a couple are only on loan.

Safety assured I'd say, so a good chance to do some scouting ahead of next season and you should have a fair idea now who you want to keep from the current squad, assuming you can get some replacements in.

Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast