Page 28 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash
    The excitement is mounting for the 5 new signings. Is there likely to be any late hitch with work permits ?

I agree that you need to improve the training, but if you're not filling the current ground there is no need to touch that until you have to.

Have you looked at the chairman's attributes to see if he is likely to help when he can
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I don't think so, one is African but happens to have Italian second nationality.

I'll have a nose at that tomorrow.

vCash
    Damn I've lost track

Guess I'll reread from the start

Challenge accepted!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    @Kingsley....

No chairman at all within the club. Think that's why I never referred to the chairman by name

Guess it means that I won't be getting surprise injections of cash at all.

vCash
    Zan, It's just the usual story of back to back promotions with a diddy team. You should know the way it goes by now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 9 - July
    Nations = 20
    Andorra, Australia, Burundi, Canada, Cyprus, Finland, France, Luxembourg, Montserrat, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Scotland, Spain, Surinam, Wales, Zimbabwe

After confirming that we'd already pre-arranged deals for five players, there was excitement in the air outside the New Windmill Stadium as 1st July arrived.

First of all, we bid farewell to Connor Smith who will continue to play at League One level after agreeing a Bosman transfer to Cambridge Utd. The 32 year old Irishman cost us £250,000 three years ago which looked to be a sound investment when he scored 7 in 24 appearances in his debut season. However, he found it difficult to lock down a place in the side after that, scoring 4 in 52 appearances, 35 of which were from the bench!

The departure of an Irishman has led to the signing of a new Irishman with 27 year old Aaron Drinan joining us from Peterborough. His versatility should hopefully prove useful after Connor Smith had only been able to play in one position. Drinan began his career at Cork City and Oxford before heading to Ipswich. There, he made only 3 appearances before Fulham forked out £550,000 for his services. In fuor years, he scored 3 goals in only 3 starts (plus 22 from the bench) before joining Peterborough on a Bosman. He was a regular in his first year, scoring 8 in 45 appearances but made just one start and 17 from the bench, scoring once as Peterborough were relegated from League One last year. He becomes our fourth Irishman at the club after Smith, Brandon Payne and Gavin Gunning.

Also providing us an option in attacking midfield is a new nationality as we welcome our first ever Greek to the club. Panagiotis Michos joins us from Atromitos where he struggled to establish himself, scoring once in just thirteen games over five years. Still only 25 years of age, he has come highly recommended by the scouting team as a diamond in the rough and I certainly hope he'll become a key player for us. The arrival of Michos and Drinan means I'm happy with my options in advanced midfield.

Sticking with midfield, I've finally filled the void of the third central midfielder to compete with Tarek Taravel and Jak Marsh having loaned three players in the past four years (Payne, Maziar Kouhyar (twice) and Thomas Delaney). Delaney himself was available but sadly wanted far too much money for us to be able to afford him on a permanent deal. Instead, I turned to 25 year old Arthut Theate who joins us from Genk where he's made just one appearance and that came in his debut year some seven years ago! Hopefully he'll have better luck at Leamington and is also welcomed as our first ever Belgian!

I had held talks with two goalkeepers to take up the void of a third goalkeeper to compete with Wouter Pastoor and Adam Corcoran. One had been a Belgian which ruled him out of the running once we agreed to sign Theate which paved the way for the arrival of Alex McCarthy as our seventh Englishman (and by sheer coincidence, the fourth in a row to be a goalkeeper). Joining us from Bolton, McCarthy will add experience to the ranks having played for Aldershot, Reading, Yeovil, Brentford, Ipswich, Leeds, QPR, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Birmingham and Bolton!

Last but not least is also a new nationality as the signing of Joseph Asante, a Ghanaian, means we've now had 41 different nationalities at the club since I took over! Also part Italian, Asante is a right-back who started his career at Carpi before spending 9 years at Austria Klagenfurt, making 291 appearances. He's been on our shortlist for quite some time and I'm delighted to hand him a chance to show us what he can do.

It's great to have the squad settled on the first day of pre-season as they get the chance to integrate into the group immediately before we start our pre-season programme of five friendlies against North Ferriby, Clapton, Alki Oroklini, Omonia Nicosia and Austria Klagenfurt. I don't expect to make any further movements in the transfer market unless we do sell the transfer listed Harry Kyprianou or Marcelo Djalo who has now also been added after declaring that he is homesick despite spending three years at the club now.

Friendly

This is the third friendly we've lined up against North Ferriby over the years, meaning we've now played them five times. Now relegated from the National League North, this game is basically a chance for the fringe players to shake off the cobwebs from last season. The starting XI includes six academy players with Corcoran, Scott Barrow, Richard Laws, Warren Smith, Jamie Byrne and Adam Nelson starting and Drinan is the only new face to start too after being handed the number 10 shirt. McCarthy (12) and Theate (30) are also named on the bench though I plan to give the starters the full 90 minutes as usual. We control the first half but are unable to make our chances count with North Ferriby failing to trouble us at all. Nelson gets a goal to put us in the lead and gets a second ruled out through offside with the visitors also having one disallowed.

Leamington 1:0 North Ferriby
    Corcoran 7, Valenzuela Lozano 7, Kyrpianou 6, Barrow 7, Agovic 6, Laws 8, Smith 7, Taravel 7, Nelson 8, Drinan 7, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Nelson.

Friendly

Clapton are another team from the non-leagues and one we've met once before in a 1:1 friendly draw. An entirely different XI is fielded with starts for McCarthy and Theate whilst Michos (18) is on the bench. With this one boasting a bit more experience, I expect to see a better performance as we again get to half-time with the score at 0:0 despite controlling most of the half. However, Michos gets an unexpected appearance when Soisalo is injured and Clapton score within a minute. Theate marks his first appearance with a goal in response but I'm left seething as Clapton score a winner thereafter. More bad news follows as its confirmed that Soisalo had torn knee ligaments and is expected to be out for 3 months.

Leamington 1:2 Clapton
    McCarthy 7, Hughes 7, King 7, Wallace 5, Muleba 5, Sousa Silva 9, Wells 7, Theate 9, Powell 6, Chapman 7, Soisalo 7 (Michos 7).
    Goals - Theate.
    MotM - Sousa Silva.

I'm forced into a backroom change by the sudden retirement of 62 year old James Richards who had joined us seven years ago from Guilsfield. It's another opportunity to bring in a fresh face and one boasting more quality and 49 year old Tyrell Cook turns down League Two Walsall to join us.

Friendly

The first of three teams to come from overseas, Alki Oroklini have a player who had been monitored in the past but we've now removed him from the shortlist on advice of new head scout Callum German who checked them out before this friendly. Fielding a completely different team for a third game was denied by a minor training injury to Michos which saw Smith get a second run out with the rest of the team appearing for the first time including Asante being handed the 24 shirt and a very welcome return for Dijksteel after his broken leg. This one is more of a competitive game but there was plenty of goals involved as we come out on top with a 4:1 win, Alki Oroklini scoring in the middle of our goal haul.

Leamington 4:1 Alki Oroklini
    Pastoor 8, Asante 9, Donacien 8, Djalo 6, Dijksteel 7, Stokke 8, Smith 7, Marsh 9, Bonne 7, Lavery 9, Willock 8.
    Goals - Marsh x2, Donacien, Lavery.
    Assists - Stokke, Lavery, Asante.
    MotM - Lavery.

Friendly

The arrival of Omonia Nicosia offers us a tougher experience against a team who enjoyed a two year spell in the Europa League a couple of years ago. The game also marks two players being added to our shortlist for future reference, an Egyptian and a Cypriot. Talking of Cypriots, Kyrpianou gets a second run out along with 9 other players with Michos making his first start too. After Murray Wallace had an alarming game last time, he needs to impress alongside Alen Agovic and in fairness to the lads, they gave a very good account of themselves. The breakthrough was found in the 51st minute through Dominic Wells and I thought they were very unlucky to have a second ruled out from Taravel before Omonia Nicosia equalised in the 69th. Their goalkeeper being named man of the match summed it up for me!

Leamington 1:1 Omonia Nicosia
    Corcoran 7, Valenzuela Lozano 7, Kyprianou 7, Wallace 6, Agovic 7, Sousa Silva 8, Wells 7, Taravel 7, Powell 6, Michos 8, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Wells.
    Assists - Michos.

We'll play one final friendly which takes place on the 2nd August and the month is concluded with the League Cup draw where we'll play away at York for the First Round, a competition that we only made it to the second round for the first time last season.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Zan, It's just the usual story of back to back promotions with a diddy team. You should know the way it goes by now
    Not usually so for me

vCash
    Michos a stand out in the signing department for sure. Not convinced on Asante, but the other three will do a job.

Big step up, will be a tough season for sure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Asante should be better (on paper) than Valenzuela Lozano so still a bit of an upgrade at least.

But yeah, I do think it'll be a battle this season after two surprising years.

vCash
    I certainly like the look of Michos. Asante looks fine but I suspect you will need to upgrade on him to get promoted.

McCarthy, Theat and Drinnan look to be backups at best.

Bit of a mixed bag in the friendlies. Loosing to Clapton !

Soisalo's leg break is going to hurt both you and him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    It's torn ligaments for Soisalo, not a leg break

I think Theate will be decent. Agree that Drinan likely to be useful backup with his versatility and I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy retires after a year or two.

vCash
    • Drinan – 50/50 on him
    • Michos – looks like a SUPERGREEK to me
    • Theate – I like him as well
    • McCarthy – excellent keeper even though age isn’t on his side
    • Asante – not much love for him
    • Q – how the feck you decide upon friendly teams – always so random
    • Shocker v Clapton and bad for Saisolo but I still don’t rate him!
    • Cook is a nice upgrade
    • Dijksteel back!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The friendlies are always against teams with players on my shortlist. It's a good opportunity to clear players off if the scout assigned to 'next opposition' feel they're no longer good enough for us

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Global Attraction - Season 2 - December
    Nations = 3
    England, Pakistan, Wales

We move into December with four players who'll hopefully be joining us in January. However, we do have concerns over two of them, as they hail from Mexico and Peru. The Mexican is a centre-back and the other three are midfielders so we are still need of additional bodies in defence. I do have my eye on trying to sign a Northern Irish centre-back on loan once the window opens and hopefully my scouts will turn up some more in the coming month.

In the meantime, in what was becoming a familiar talk, we had a group meeting where the players were asked to give it their all for one more month as we aim to try and move back up to the middle of the table again. It was going to be a tough month ahead though, as we had 8 games on the schedule despite being knocked out of both the FA Cup and FA Trophy already!

National League

Richard Laws makes a very timely return from a 3 week injury lay off to return to the anchor role in midfield whilst Otis Khan is moved to the right wing to accommodate the return of Karl Ledsham as Ian Morris loses his spot in the team. Make no mistake, this was a key game for us with Hartlepool being a place below us and on the same amount of points. Khan gets us off to a fine start with a free-kick strike and Laws doubles our lead. Hartlepool pull one back in the 34th minute which makes for a nervy second half where they then equalise. Joe Magunda starts to complain of a shin problem, so Craig Owen is put on a right-back and we hold on to earn a point.

Hartlepool 2:2 Leamington
    Kiely 6, Magunda 6 (Owens 8), Gudger 6, Francis 7, Randles 6, Laws 5, Khan 8, English 7 (Owen 6), Ogleby 6, Ledsham 7, Byrne 6 (Smith 6).
    Goals - Khan, Laws
    Assists - Ledsham.

National League

It's confirmed that Magunda has a bruised shin from the Hartlepool game so he's not risked against Chester at home, with Liam Randles pushed to right-back and Laws asked to drop back into centre-back. That means Craig Owens comes in to play at defensive midfield, a position he filled in whilst Laws was injured last month. A early goal is disallowed for Rob Ogleby as Chester then take a lead. We're not at our best as we lose with both Laws and Owens unsurprisingly having a stinker.

Leamington 0:1 Chester
    Kiely 7, Randles 6, Gudger 5, Francis 7, Laws 5, Owens 5 (Quigley 6), Khan 7, English 6 (Morris 6), Ogleby 6, Ledsham 5, Byrne 6 (Smith 6).

National League

With Magunda failing a late fitness test and declared not ready to return, I'm forced to ask Laws and Owens to again do their best out of position for the trip to Torquay. There is a change though as Ricky Johnson is given the nod to start ahead of Ogleby. Thankfully, Johnson rewards the decision with the opening goal after just 9 minutes but Torquay equalise by the 18th. We lose Junior English to injury in a blow in the second half and Torquay take the lead just five minutes later, meaning we've now failed to win in four games. You know it's not your day when even Khan fails to make an impact.

Torquay 2:1 Leamington
    Kiely 8, Randles 5, Gudger 6, Francis 7, Laws 5, Owens 6, Khan 5, English 7 (Quigley 7), Johnson 8, Ledsham 6, Byrne 7 (Morris 6).
    Goals - Johnson.

Magunda may be back for the next one but we only have three defenders after the yellow card that Connor Gudger picked up at Torquay was his 5th of the season, meaning he's suspended for this one. There's also no English after he's been ruled out for 2 weeks with strained ankle ligaments. We're really having a tough time at the moment but credit to the board, they've been willing to help out and have done their best again with another injection, meaning they've now ploughed £1,425,000 in total in six months! It does help our debt somewhat as it now currently stands at £405,128!

National League

With Gudger being suspended, Magunda doesn't actually return to right-back but to left-back with Laws again employed at centre-back. Craig Owens is put out of his misery with playing at defensive midfield though with Phil Butcher asked to play there this time whilst Dan Quigley takes over from the injured English. Khan also needs a rest so in comes Craig Owen at right-wing. The defence just can't stop leaking goals at the moment and Barrow take full advantage, going 2:0 up after 30 minutes. They end up beating us 3:0 and to make matters worse, Magunda has to go off injured with a broken toe that puts him out for 3 weeks!

Barrow 3:0 Leamington
    Kiely 6, Randles 4, Magunda 4 (Hawker 7), Francis 5, Laws 4, Butcher 6, Owen 6, Quigley 6, Johnson 7, Ledsham 6 (Morris 6), Byrne 7 (Smith 6).

National League

We're being hit hard now as we go into the Christmas period as we have just two defenders to play Maidstone. Gudger is back but Liam Francis has gotten injured in training meaning there'll be two midfielders playing at centre-half. Richard Laws clearly can't cope in that position so he moves back into defensive midfield and it's Josh Hawker and Phil Butcher who play in defence. Khan isn't quite ready to come back in yet either as he's still tired from carrying the team so far so Ian Morris starts on the right and Owens comes back in for Quigley. There won't be any surprise to learn that there is no clean sheet but thanks to Owens and Ledsham scoring prior to conceding, we win 2:1! The only downside is yet another injury to Laws which is a a sprained ankle, putting him out for 2 weeks.

Maidstone 1: 2 Leamington
    Kiely 7, Randles 7, Gudger 7, Hawker 6, Butcher 6, Laws 7 (Quigley 6), Morris 7, Owens 7, Johnson 7 (Ogleby 7), Ledsham 8, Byrne 7 (Smith 6).
    Goals - Owens, Ledsham.
    Assists - Randles.
    MotM - Ledsham.

National League

It's time to rotate again for a game taking place only three days after winning for the first time in 6 games. Khan and Owen come back in with Morris and Byrne rested. Butcher is given a start in midfield, Quigley playing in his place in defence and Owens is asked to play as a defensive midfielder after the injury to Laws. With a patched together team, Aldershot lead 2:0 before Johnson hits one back. Aldershot added another two to make it 4:1 by half-time. It's an absolute drubbing and signifies why the club need the transfer window to open ASAP!

Aldershot 4:1 Leamington
    Kiely 4, Randles 5, Gudger 6, Hawker 5, Quigley 4, Owens 6, Owen 6 (Byrne 7), Butcher 6, Johnson 7 (Ogleby 7), Khan 7, Ledsham 6 (Smith 6).
    Goals - Johnson.

National League

Boxing Day and there are mass changes to the team. Tony Breeden returns as the number one and thankfully Francis is back to captain in defence where he's partnered by Owens. Butcher is employed as the anchorman and Hawker plays in his natural spot. A final change also sees Jamie Byrne returns on the left wing. It's still not a balanced team with both Magunda and Laws injured but we put in our best performance in a while, taking a 3:0 lead and winning 3:1.

Leamington 3:1 Fylde
    Breeden 8, Randles 7, Gudger 7 (Quigley 6), Francis 7, Owens 6, Butcher 7, Khan 10, Hawker 7, Johnson 7 (McPike 7), Ledsham 7, Byrne 7 (Morris 6).
    Goals - Khan x2, Hawker.
    MotM - Khan.

National League

Finally, we reach the last game of a hectic month and it's another patched up team to face Leyton Orient as we play only 3 days after the Boxing Day victory. Breeden concedes after only 5 minutes and I can only watch on helpless as Francis is sent off after 54 minutes for taking away the legs of Lawson. Credit to those stlil on the pitch, they didn't concede again!

Leyton Orient 1:0 Leamington
    Breeden 8, Randles 6, Gudger 7, Francis 6, Owens 6, Butcher 8, Morris 6 (Smith 6), Quigley 7, Johnson 6 (Hawker 6), Khan 6 (Owen 6), Byrne 7.

After winning just twice in December, losing the other six games, we've dropped to 19th. But the irony is, where we were only 4 points from the bottom three, we've now increased the gap to 7 points despite being rather close to the danger spots. However, with new signings due to come in, I've every confidence that we will now be able to climb back up the table once again!

After a difficult month where all but Neil Collett got game time, it was difficult for the players to maintain some kind of consistency. One player who did manage to do so was Jamie Byrne, who came through the academy last year to give me my first option as a left winger. His overall contribution in terms of goals and assists is very poor but for a 17 year old, he has been very consistent in his performances on that wing!
    young player with high work rate and determination at that level you can't go wrong, especially for free.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to joeybeefboy1966 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 9 - August
    Nations = 24
    Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Burundi, Canada, Cyprus, England, Finland, France, Ghana, Greece, Luxembourg, Montserrat, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Scotland, Spain, Surinam, Wales, Zimbabwe

It's finally here! The month where we play our first ever game in the second tier of English football. After a whirlwind two years, I'm amazed that we've put ourselves in a position where we are now just a league away from one of the best leagues in professional football.

I have no delusions about the task ahead though. With a squad of players that were still only playing League Two football two years ago (we've signed just 7 players since then), I do think we're in for a very tough fight in the coming months. We should enjoy it while we can and try to keep the millions from the TV rights in the bank to improve the club at the end of the season but in the meantime, we'll take each game as it comes and hopefully show the world why we have become a global attraction.

Friendly

Before that though, we have a fifth and final friendly to play against Austria Klagenfurt who are the old club of Joseph Asante. However, Asante himself doesn't feature as I opt to give eleven players a second run out of the season. The result sees Macauley Bonne back amongst the goals in scoring after just two minutes but Austra Klagenfurt responded with a goal of their own. Arthur Theate then made it two in two during pre-season in giving us the lead back but again, the visitors hit back to tie the game. The defence just hadn't been as tight as I'd hoped they would be.

Leamington 2:2 Austria Klagenfurt
    McCarthy 6, Hughes 6, King 6, Muleba 7, Barrow 6, Laws 7, Drinan 7, Theate 7, Bonne 7, Chapman 7, Willock 7.
    Goals - Bonne, Theate.
    Assists - Willock.

Championship

The day arrives and our first game is against Sheffield Wednesday in front of our own supporters. Our highest attendance had been 4,220 last year despite the capacity of 6,000 so I'm delighted that we've smashed that with 5,986 watching on. The starting eleven sees two debuts handed out, as Asante and Panagiotis Michos start. Marcelo Djalo, Richard Laws and Adam Nelson are surprise names in the starting XI too after impressing in pre-season and Janoi Donacien leads the team out as club captain. It takes just 9 minutes for a goal to be scored and it's for us as Michos marks his debut with a goal. Sheff Wed respond within two minutes but Nelson gets his first goal of the season already to put us back in the lead. The players work hard but a goal from Jacob Bennett pulls one back before half-time and then he scores a second afterwards to hand the points to the visitors. It's a very unlucky defeat.

Leamington 2:3 Sheff Wed
    Pastoor 7, Asante 6, Donacien 6, Djalo 5, Dijksteel 7, Laws 5, Lavery 6, Marsh 8 (Theate 6), Nelson 8, Chapman 6 (Drinan 7), Michos 8.
    Goals - Michos, Nelson.
    Assists - Marsh.

Championship

Our first away game comes at Mansfield who've done very well for themselves, fighting their way to the Championship from League Two like ourselves but consolidated themselves in recent years. It's something for us to aspire to and as we prepare in the hope of winning our first game, Laws and Jay Chapman are the only two changes as they are replaced by Erik Stokke and Aaron Drinan who makes his first start for the club having come off the bench in the last game. However, we fall behind to Jordy Hiwula who scores his 200th career goal and Olufela Olomola doubles their lead. To compound our luck, Stokke gets injured and we get a goal disallowed! Hiwula gets their third goal and though Michos pulls one back, it's just too late for us to get back in it. The scoreline is harsh with ourselves having 12 shots, 7 on target. Mansfield had 7 alone all together so it's been a bad day at the office for Wouter Pastoor and his defenders.

Mansfield 3:1 Leamington
    Pastoor 5, Asante 5, Donacien 5, Djalo 6, Dijksteel 5, Stokke 6 (Sousa Silva 6), Lavery 7 (Willock 7), Marsh 7, Nelson 6 (Bonne 7), Drinan 7, Michos 7.
    Goals - Michos.

Stokke is ruled out with a gashed leg for two weeks. International news follows as after six years at the club, Caolan Lavery has won his first ever call up to the Northern Irish squad at the age of 32! Also selected are the still uncapped Alen Agovic for Luxembourg and Harry Kyprianou for Cyprus, who has 6 caps and hasn't played for four years.

EFL Cup First Round

Will playing York in the EFL Cup give us our first win and regain some confidence? It's not as though we're playing badly so I feel we can still get back into it. This will be our 12th meeting against them having last lost to them on penalties in the League Two playoff final two years ago. Djalo loses his place to Michael Hughes whilst Luis Sousa Silva takes over from the injured Stokke. However, there are another four changes in midfield as Lavery, Jak Marsh, Drinan and Michos are rested which hands starts to Theate, Chapman, Chris Willock and Jamie Byrne. York, 15th in League Two, have a slow start as we start off brightly without scoring. The game though is goalless right up to full-time which triggers extra-time. It then goes to penalties which is just typical after our last meeting against them! Pastoor does well to save the first penalty and we go ahead with Theate scoring. York score their 2nd but Asante misses. The next four go in as York score twice and Hughes and Chapman convert. Pastoor saves the 5th which means we're through if we score only for Sousa Silva to put it wide! York score the 6th but so does Willock! Pastoor saves the 7th and Harry Kyprianou buries ours to put us through! It's almost poetic given that Kyprianou had been sent off in that playoff final defeat against York!

York 0:0 Leamington
    Pastoor 8, Asante 7, Donacien 7 (King 6), Hughes 6, Dijksteel 7 (Kyprianou 7), Sousa Silva 7, Willock 8, Theate 6, Nelson 6, Chapman 7, Byrne 6 (Wells 7).

Kyprianou though reminds us why he's on the transfer list in putting in a poor showing at training and then expressing his shock when issued with a warning! Gumushanespor appear to be monitoring him but we've had no offers for the Cypriot yet. Meanwhile, we're drawn against Peterborough in the second round at home.

Championship

Unsurprisingly, there are some tired legs as we take on QPR the following Saturday. The goalkeeper and defence is unchanged though ironically, Kyprianou could have started if he didn't play silly buggars in training. Marsh, Lavery, Michos and Drinan all come back in as well with Nelson also replaced by Ryan Powell who make his first appearance of the season. Like ourselves, QPR are winless and we take advantage by storming into a two goal lead thanks to Lavery and Sousa Silva. Typically, QPR pull one back just before half-time to make it nervy second half and they do equalise 12 minutes in. But Marsh puts us back ahead and we're forced to see out the game with 10 men when Laws goes off injured, having replaced Sousa Silva at half-time! But we hang on and we get our first ever win in the Championship!

Leamington 3:2 QPR
    Pastoor 9, Asante 6, Donacien 7, Hughes 7, Dijksteel 7, Sousa Silva 8 (Laws 7), Drinan 7 (Wells 7), Marsh 8, Powell 8, Lavery 9, Michos 7 (Byrne 7).
    Goals - Lavery, Sousa Silva, Marsh.
    Assists - Lavery.
    MotM - Lavery.

Championship

We sign off the month by playing at Norwich just two days after QPR which of course rules then entire outfield ten out. However, with Laws and Stokke injured, Dijksteel gets the nod over Sousa Silva as the fitter player to start in defensive midfield. The back four of Agovic, Kyprianou, Tom King and Inaki Valenzuela Lozano start for the first time with Theate, Byrne, Chapman, Willock and Nelson coming in as well. It transpires to be a day to forget as Norwich lead 2:0 at half-time before Pastoor is sent off for bringing down a man in the box. Alex McCarthy makes his debut as a result but is unable to stop the penalty and a fourth goal rounds it off.

Norwich 4:0 Leamington
    Pastoor 4, Valenzuela Lozano 5, Kyprianou 4, King 6, Agovic 6, Dijksteel 7, Willock 7 (Wells 6), Theate 6 (Taravel 6), Nelson 5, Chapman 7 (McCarthy 8), Byrne 6.
    Goals - Lavery, Sousa Silva, Marsh.

The month concludes with great news for Alen Agovic who finally wins his first cap for Luxembourg after several call ups in the past five years. He starts but is subbed after 53 minutes in a 0:0 draw against Estonia in a World Cup Qualifier. Luxembourg are bottom of their group with 2 points after 8 games. The bellend that is Kyprianou also earns a 7th cap for Cyprus, subbed after 87 minutes in a 3:0 defeat to Switzerland. They have 4 points in their group and are 4th after 6 games.

It's certainly been a tough start to life in the Championship, picking up one win in four games that leaves us 20th. Interestingly though, we've been the better side statistically so I do feel that we are able to cope at this level. Even in the 4:0 defeat to Norwich in a second string side and ending with 10 men, we had more attempts than them!

The star of the month has surprisingly been Jak Marsh who has scored one and set up one in three starts, building on his solitary pre-season appearance where he struck twice. The 21 year old had registered 23 goals in his first four years since coming through the academy but just one in two years since. I'd tipped Arthur Theate to become a regular in centre midfield but Marsh is doing well to keep him at bay.

Who remembers Lewis Grant? The academy striker who hit the ground running with 22 goals in 39 appearances, he just wouldn't commit to a permanent deal and ended up leaving the club on a free and joined Chester six months later. He helped them avoid relegation in his first year with 12 goals in 29 appearances and followed it up with 15 in 28 appearances last season. Despite those goals though, Chester were relegated to the National League where he currently has a record of 3 in 5 starts. Worth £130,000, he has a minimum fee release clause of £800,000.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeybeefboy1966 View Post
    young player with high work rate and determination at that level you can't go wrong, especially for free.
    You on about Byrne back in season 2? I'm in season 9 now Got some catching up to do

vCash
    Looks like you will need to splash the £££ for some defensive reinforcements....

What's Bonne done wrong??? Leading goalscorer not started a game....

BRING BACK BONNE

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Big E For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice wedge of cash. Remember to look at the long game though. As and when you actually get promoted to the top flight, that stadium will have to be upgraded. Very good idea to stick to the patented wheeling and dealing.
    Ah Redders has already pointed that out.

None of those new signings set my pulse racing if I'm honest but maybe I'm setting expectations a little high. Theate looks ok for someone who's only ever played one game though. Maybe Michos as well.

Losing to Clapton wasn't the best pre season prep but I guess it's all about game time not the result.

DickSteel is back!! Whoop!!

The first few games have given you a taste of what's to come. Think the players will adapt and get used to it.
    I'm calling you finishing......... 15th I reckon.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Looks like you will need to splash the £££ for some defensive reinforcements....

What's Bonne done wrong??? Leading goalscorer not started a game....

BRING BACK BONNE

He lost his way a little in pre-season. I'm sure he'll be back soon, Nelson looks to have gone off the boil in recent games after the goalscoring start.

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Nice wedge of cash. Remember to look at the long game though. As and when you actually get promoted to the top flight, that stadium will have to be upgraded. Very good idea to stick to the patented wheeling and dealing.
    Ah Redders has already pointed that out.

None of those new signings set my pulse racing if I'm honest but maybe I'm setting expectations a little high. Theate looks ok for someone who's only ever played one game though. Maybe Michos as well.

Losing to Clapton wasn't the best pre season prep but I guess it's all about game time not the result.

DickSteel is back!! Whoop!!

The first few games have given you a taste of what's to come. Think the players will adapt and get used to it.
    I'm calling you finishing......... 15th I reckon.

I'd take that! I'd take 21st at least

DickSteel

vCash
    • Great to see a full house!
    • Mad that Agovic not played for Lux!
    • Nelson in the championship and scoring
    • Wow – surprised you give Harry and game time but he puts you through – maybe a small run – the cash will always be good as well!
    • But then acts like a muppet again!
    • Not an awful month – got ya first win and some other results could have gone your way. Seem to have settled in nicely but squad already tested
    • Grant – knows where the goal is for sure – just don’t expect him to do much else but why should you if he’s a goalscorer!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hopefully the first of many for Agovic!

Nelson just loves proving Kingsley wrong I doubt he'll get much game time now, seems to have gone off the boil a bit.

Just can't seem to get rid of Kyprianou Hopefully offers will be forthcoming soon.

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 9 - September
    Nations = 24
    Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Burundi, Canada, Cyprus, England, Finland, France, Ghana, Greece, Luxembourg, Montserrat, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Scotland, Spain, Surinam, Wales, Zimbabwe

We've certainly been put through the wringer in our first month, playing five matches in a testing schedule during which we've won two, albeit one being a cup game and on penalties. I think there are still encouraging signs though that we are once again being competitive, having been the better team in all of the game so far. If we can just put together a consistent run of performances and a team that settles as we go on, I think we'll be OK.

Meanwhile, the international break from the end of August carries on with Agovic earning a second cap for Luxembourg and despite losing 2:0 to Belarus, I'm proud of him as he earns the man of the match award. Harry Kyprianou also featured for Cyprus in losing 1:0 on his 8th cap. I'm gutted for Caolan Lavery who has had to wait a long time for his first ever call up to the Northern Ireland squad but comes back without earning a cap.

Championship

Eight changes are made to the team after I had to make mass changes to rest players with us playing two in three games before the international break. With Wouter Pastoor serving the first of a three match ban, Alex McCarthy makes his first start for us in goals with only Agovic, Anferne Dijksteel and Chris Willock staying in the team. We play Birmingham (18th) with Lavery (2) taking his frustrations out on them with the opening goal. Ryan Powell gets his first of the season to put us in a good position to win and we do just that despite Birmingham pulling one back with eight minutes to spare. The win sees us overtake Birmingham and move into 16th.

Birmingham 1:2 Leamington
    McCarthy 7, Asante 6, Donacien 7, Agovic 6, Dijksteel 6, Sousa Silva 8, Willock 7, Marsh 7, Powell 8, Lavery 8 (Drinan 7), Michos 8 (Chapman 7).
    Goals - Lavery, Powell.
    Assists - Marsh, Michos.
    MotM - Lavery.

Championship

We host Wigan (11th) three days later with just two changes as Joseph Asante loses his place with Dijksteel moving to right-back and Scott Barrow coming in for his first appearance of the season. The other change is a rest for Willock and Aaron Drinan lines up at right-wing. The game explodes into life in the 30th minute when Wigan's Slovakian centre-back (who we also happened to shortlist after scouting them earlier in the week) kicks out at Powell and is sent off. We take full advantage as goals from Panagiotis Michos (3) and Jak Marsh (2) confirm our first league win of the season that comes with a clean sheet and we move up to 11th.

Leamington 2:0 Wigan
    McCarthy 8, Dijksteel 8, Donacien 8, Agovic 8 (Djalo 6), Barrow 7, Sousa Silva 8 (Stokke 6), Drinan 8, Marsh 8, Powell 7, Lavery 7, Michos 8 (Chapman 7).
    Goals - Michos, Marsh.
    Assists - Sousa Silva.
    MotM - Marsh.

Championship

Our third game in a week is the long journey to Bournemouth (9th) who have now been in the Championship for five years. There are five tired legs (Dijksteel, Marsh, Lavery, Drinan and Janoi Donacien) who are rested from a team that would usually be unchanged. Taking over are Michael Hughes, Tom King, Arthur Theate, Jay Chapman and Willock. Powell (2) hands us the perfect start but the hosts then take over the game, scoring twice in each half to condemn us to a 4:1 defeat that drops us down to 15th.

Bournemouth 4:1 Leamington
    McCarthy 5, Hughes 5, King 6, Agovic 7, Barrow 6, Sousa Silva 6, Willock 7, Theate 6, Powell 7 (Bonne 6), Chapman 6 (Wells 6), Michos 7.
    Goals - Powell.
    Assists - King.

EFL Cup Second Round

We're up against Peterborough in the Second Round of the EFL Cup with both teams having gone in different directions from League One last year. Now 12th in League Two, we welcome them back to the New Windmill where Agovic misses out after suffering concussion in training. Michos is also left out to rest as Donacien, Dijksteel, Marsh, Lavery and Drinan all come back in after being left behind from the Bournemouth game, the latter also comes up against the team we've signed him from. If you're a betting man and put money on Drinan scoring against his old team, you'd be a happy man when he scores his first goal against them. A Luis Sousa Silva (2) strike gave us a comfortable lead which we proceeded to throw away with two conceded in the last 34 minutes to put the game to extra-time once again. Despite two substitute defenders coming on, we concede in extra-time but Sousa Silva (3) ties it to force the game to penalties. Wouter Pastoor, having been put on the bench after his ban was up, must have been watching on with a rueful smile after being our hero in saving three penalties in the First Round. This time, after Chapman scored the first one, McCarthy saved the Peterborough effort but Sousa Silva blasted his over the bar. McCarthy then failed to save the next two as Donacien had our third penalty saved and Drinan scored the fourth. It was left to Lavery to keep us in it but he put his effort wide and with it, our hopes of progressing to the Third Round for the first time was over.

Leamington 3:3 Peterborough
    McCarthy 5, Hughes 7 (King 7), Donacien 7, Barrow 5, Dijksteel 7 (Muleba 7), Sousa Silva 9, Drinan 8, Marsh 8, Powell 6, Lavery 7, Willock 7 (Chapman 7).
    Goals - Drinan, Sousa Silva x2.
    Assists - Sousa Silva, Marsh.
    MotM - Sousa Silva.

It's just as well that Pastoor is now back from his suspension as I discover that Adam Corcoran, the 17 year old goalkeeper, has broken his collarbone in training and will now be out for three months! Hopefully Pastoor or McCarthy won't get injured or sent off in that time.

International news sees Lavery (Northern Ireland), Kyprianou (Cyprus) and Inaki Valenzuela Lozano (Andorra) all called up again and interestingly, a first call up for Murray Wallace for Scotland since joining us. The centre-back only has one cap for Scotland which came some nine years ago whilst playing at Scunthorpe.

Championship

I'm grateful to learn that our next game comes on Sunday which gives us an extra day to recover from the League Cup game. Drinan is rotated out though and Hughes is relegated to the bench but everyone else looks fine with Agovic and Michos coming back into the team. Bristol City (19th) is a game we've earmarked for a win at home but instead, we endure a quiet first half. The second half has three goals in it though with Powell (3) finding the net but we conceded within a minute. Fellow academy graduate Marsh (3) puts us back in the lead though and the win is ours to put us 12th.

Leamington 1:2 Bristol City
    McCarthy 7, Dijksteel 7 (Hughes 6), Donacien 7 (King 6), Barrow 6, Agovic 7, Sousa Silva 8, Willock 7 (Chapman 6), Marsh 7, Powell 8, Lavery 8, Michos 7.
    Goals - Powell, Marsh.
    Assists - Lavery.
    MotM - Lavery.

Championship

We play a third game at home in a row against a tough looking Middlesbrough side who are surprisingly 13th. Michos gets a rest in this one with Willock coming in and there's two other changes with McCarthy and Barrow losing their places as Pastoor and Hughes start instead. A superbly taken free-kick from Lavery (3) puts us ahead and Sousa Silva (4) keep up his golden touch in front of goal in doubling our lead before the break. It's actually quite an even game so to then go 3:0 up through Drinan (2) shows how ruthless we are up front. However, there's no clean sheet on Pastoor's return as Middlesbrough score in injury time. Despite that, we're up to 7th!

Leamington 3:1 Middlesbrough
    Pastoor 8, Dijksteel 8, Donacien 8, Hughes 7, Agovic 8, Sousa Silva 8, Drinan 8, Marsh 7, Powell 7, Lavery 8 (Chapman 7), Willock 7 (Wells 7).[/I]
    Goals - Lavery, Sousa Silva, Drinan.
    Assists - Agovic, Wells.
    MotM - Agovic.

Championship

Our 7th(!) game of the month comes against Blackpool (17th) who we have not met before. Drinan is rested this time as Michos comes in and there's a place on the bench for Mikael Soisalo who has returned to training recently following a 3 month lay off with a torn knee ligament. Powell (4) hands us the lead to which Blackpool lever after five minutes. But the legend that is Lavery (4) scores once more with a right footed drive. After Blackpool equalise once more in the second half, we bring on fresh legs including Soisalo but the game ends as a tie, our first of the season.

Blackpool 2:2 Leamington
    Pastoor 8, Dijksteel 6, Donacien 6 (King 6), Hughes 6, Agovic 7, Sousa Silva 7, Willock 6 (Soisalo 6), Marsh 6, Powell 8, Lavery 8, Michos 7 (Chapman 7).[/I]
    Goals - Powell, Lavery.

A fine month of three wins, a draw and just the one defeat sees us climb from 20th to 8th, a sequence of results that sees me named as the Manager of the Month for September! I would like to think we're well on track to achieve our objective of avoiding relegation but it is still rather tight in the league, even if Burnley in top spot are just six points away.

Lavery, Sousa Silva and Agovic have been great this month but the spotlight is shined on Aaron Drinan who has settled in so well at the club since joining us from Peterborough. I always liked his pace and versatility and he's utilised it to good effect in the last three games, scoring his first goals of the season too.

The last player to be let go from the squad I inherited on my first day at Leamington was Tony Breeden when he was released just over two years ago. He didn't find a new club to play for and has since retired and is now a coach for Stockport. Part of me is debating whether I ought to give players like Breeden a role at Leamington but perhaps that's just being too sentimental to those who have served Leamington well

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good month all in all.
    Huge leap up the table but still early days. Shame to go out of the cup (but that may be a blessing).

Next step. Turn that negative goal difference into a positive! 21 goals in 10 games conceded is a huge amount.
    Always bet on both to score when Leamington are playing!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'd have liked a run in the cup. Guess McCarthy had a bad day at the office after we threw away the 2:0 lead

Haha, we are never short of a goal or two!