Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash
    It appears that it might be time for the cheque book....

I also tend to agree with Redders re: selection policy, although we all have our own individual plans and tactics.

I think you will survive, only just mind you.

If Bonne is leading the line however - things will be different. Just as a matter of interest how far off the Play Offs are you?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Big E For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Shocker. I hope the Christmas party was dumped for an extra training session. From looking safe and an (outside) chance of the playoffs, it is back to the relegation mire.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow, incredibly tight at the bottom and you have the momentum in the wrong direction.

Nevertheless, I don't smell trouble... in fact, I predict a finish close to the play-offs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    It appears that it might be time for the cheque book....

I also tend to agree with Redders re: selection policy, although we all have our own individual plans and tactics.

I think you will survive, only just mind you.

If Bonne is leading the line however - things will be different. Just as a matter of interest how far off the Play Offs are you?
    It's nice to see Bonne has bagged a couple more goals, I was starting to think he may have finally reached his level. Fulham in 6th place are now a whopping 13 points ahead of us. It shows how many points we've dropped lately!

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Oh my days - WTF is going on!

I think you are at a point where your selection policy is going against you as you are now playing teams of a much higher level

If players do not take a chance for whatever reason they are binned next game and it's a constant change of matchday XI which IMO is leading to a real lack of understanding

I reckon if you stuck with what you perceive to be your "best XI" then would come out of this but I don't think you'll do that

So - instead, ya need a big dose of luck, some defenders and GK who want to keep the ball out of the net and someone up top taking the mantle and leading the line

Worrying times for Hendo...........

How are the board taking results/general confidence? What was thie inital hope for season - battle relegation it should be which is what you are doing I guess

DJ - having an awful season at Burnley - I liked him as well
    Selection policy is fine mate, it's never an issue. It's down to the quality of players now imo, and we'll probably look to slowly revamp the squad over the next few seasons providing we can stay up, consolidate and then start to improve the squad.

Battle against relegation was always the priority. The board should never be upset with me imo after all the promotions they've been given! They do note that they're concerned about the recent run of defeats though.

I did like the look of DJ too, he was just too injury prone unfortunately! Still on the shortlist though so he may return one day, he may not!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Shocker. I hope the Christmas party was dumped for an extra training session. From looking safe and an (outside) chance of the playoffs, it is back to the relegation mire.
    In fairness, back to the relegation mire is a first for us! Never finished below 10th place in 8 years to date!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    Wow, incredibly tight at the bottom and you have the momentum in the wrong direction.

Nevertheless, I don't smell trouble... in fact, I predict a finish close to the play-offs
    That's mighty faith you have in us there, KDS! I do always say we finish strongly so I do have hopes of coming out of this slump.

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 9 - January
    Nations = 24
    Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Burundi, Canada, Cyprus, England, Finland, France, Ghana, Greece, Luxembourg, Montserrat, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Scotland, Spain, Surinam, Wales, Zimbabwe

Losing seven in a row is unheard of at Leamington. We've only once had an eleven game winless run but had picked up draws in the midst of those eleven. But to lose seven on the trot is certainly new to us and some of the players were looking down about it. I pointed out that we have an FA Cup game to come as a welcome distraction after which we can also start to plan ahead and finish strongly, a feat that we have a reputation for. The players were allowed to enjoy New Year's Eve and they came back on the 2nd January for a light training session before we travelled for a fourth away trip in a row to Fulham.

FA Cup Third Round

We have only once made it beyond the Third Round and that was three years ago. The players, except the recently injured Chris Willock, were looking fit and raring to go. There were four changes made from our last game as Anfernee Dijksteel, Caolan Lavery, Warren Smith, Jay Chapman and Panagiotis Michos came in with the latter deployed up front which sums up our woes amongst the main strikers at this moment in time. Fulham occupy 6th place and had defeated us 2:0 on our own turf earlier this year. This was a chance for us to put that to bed and get our own back. Credit to the players, they came out flying for a change and finally put to bed the awful record of conceding early or conceding twice by Michos (6) putting deservedly us ahead. Fulham had only one shot on goal i the first half and their next one went in the net though it was then disallowed. They grew into the game as the second half went on but we showed solidarity to go through and pocket 341,565 in our share of the gate receipts! Our reward is a trip to either Norwich (top of the Championship) or Chelsea, who have won the Premier League four times in the last eight years!

Fulhm 0:1 Leamington
    McCarthy 8, Dijksteel 7, Donacien 6, Agovic 8, Muleba 7, Sousa Silva 7, Lavery 6 (Byrne 7), Marsh 8, Michos 8, Chapman 6, Smith 6.
    Goals - Michos.
    Assists - Marsh.

Championship

Back to action in the league against Mansfield (4th), Jay Chapman and Jak Marsh come out of the team as Tarek Taravel and Macauley Bonne come in with Michos dropping into the number ten role. With the Greek in good form again, I hope the Zimbabwean can link up with him to get the goals flowing again for Leamington. We do score early on but it's a disallowed goal for Taravel who then gets injured in the 29th minute and Marsh comes on. Having started so brightly, it's a kick in the teeth as Mansfield then grab a goal against play and then do likewise in the second half. Jamie Byrne comes off the bench to score but it comes right at the death. It's a double blow after the game as we learn Taravel is out for a month and Agovic's booking was his fifth of the season, earning him a one match ban.

Leamington 1:2 Mansfield
    Pastoor 6, Dijksteel 7, Donacien 7, Agovic 6, Muleba 6, Sousa Silva 8, Lavery 7 (Byrne 8), Taravel 6 (Marsh 6), Bonne 6, Michos 8, Smith 7.
    Goals - Byrne.
    Assists - Michos.

Championship

Middlesbrough (14th) are next on the schedule and we really need to pick up points having now dropped into the relegation spots. After his hard work in the last two games, Michos needs a rest and Jamie Byrne gets a start, with sees Warren Smith move to the right flank and Lavery move inside. In another two changes, Marsh replaces the injured Taravel and Inaki Valenzuela Lozano comes in as Dijksteel moves inside to replace the suspended Agovic. We have just one shot to Middlesbrough's seven but the game is goalless by the break. We look as though we're set to break the losing run with a show of defensive solidarity but concede twice in the final ten minutes to put paid to those hopes.

Middlesbrough 2:0 Leamington
    Pastoor 7, Valenzuela Lozano 6, Donacien 5, Muleba 6, Dijksteel 7, Sousa Silva 5, Smith 6, Marsh 6, Bonne 5, Lavery 6, Byrne 7.

Meanwhile, it's confirmed that we have a trip to Stamford Bridge at the end of the month after Chelsea won the replay 2:0 following a 1:1 draw at Carrow Road. It'll certainly be a lucrative fixture for us which will be great news but how we will cope against a top drawer Premier League side when we are struggling to even pick up a point at the moment?!

Championship

It's a game of contrasts as we are now second from the bottom and welcome Bournemouth who are second from the top. We welcome Agovic back to the fold as Valenzuela Lozano drop out of the squad completely. Michos is also a welcome sight and so too is the return of Willock from injury. The latter goes to right-wing, the former back in the middle and Lavery is moved up front as Bonne loses his place in the side after an awful showing at the Riverside. Bournemouth score after just three minutes but in contrast, Jonathan Muleba heads in from a corner three minutes before the break. Marsh then puts us ahead and dreaming of a rare win only for Joshua King, now 34, to equalise. But we do pick up a point and at long last, it stops that unwanted sequence of nine games lost in a row.

Leamington 2:2 Bournemouth
    Pastoor 6, Dijksteel 6, Donacien 7, Muleba 8, Agovic 7, Sousa Silva 7, Willock 8 (Smith 6), Marsh 9, Lavery 7, Michos 7 (Chapman 7), Byrne 7 (Powell 6).
    Goals - Muleba, Marsh.
    Assists - Willock, Muleba.
    MotM - Marsh.

At long last, we receive a first bid for Harry Kyrpianou and I have to say that we snapped Aris Limassol's hands off when they tabled 500,00 for our Cypriot. After an excellent loan spell where he'd recorded an average rating of 6.98 from 43 starts, we bought Kyprianou for 180,000 but quite frankly, he's been a nightmare in often showing up late for training and generally looking unfit. In selling him for 500K, we've freed up a spot for a new defender who may help us to turn this season around. The Cypriot leaves with a record of three goals in 78 appearances.

We move quickly to replace Kyprianou after choosing not to utilise the loan market or spend cash. There are three players we look at, a Japanese left-back, a Polish centre-back and a Swedish centre-back. The first two are players for the future and perhaps a little too raw for what we need right now. So we welcome Ali Suljic as our third Swede (following Kevin Sundstrom and William Tidstrand) who was out of contract at Helsingborg. He actually started his career with Chelsea but was released and joined Chesterfield for a couple of years before Helsingborg bought him for 275K where he's been a key player for four years.

He may be gone in person but it seems Kyprianou's spirit is hanging around as goalkeeper Alex McCarthy reacts badly to an official warning when coach Ian McCaldon reports to me that he had concerns over his general fitness. The 36 year old was supposed to set an example to others so it's extremely disappointing news.

FA Cup Fourth Round

The irony of signing an ex-Chelsea graduate just before we're due to play them in the FA Cup is not lost on me. He's handed an immediate debut as Muleba is perhaps a tad unfortunate to lose his place. It's the only change with McCarthy cut from the squad as Adam Corcoran is named on the bench, with McCarthy actually having been set to replace Wouter Pastoor in the sticks were it not for his poor showing in training. The players are simply urged to enjoy themselves at Stamford Bridge and Suljic takes the number 26 shirt. The Chelsea team has Thibaut Courtios, Ethan Ampadu, Andreas Christensen, Lewis Baker, Victor Moses and Alvaro Morata amongst the starters. They also have Jose Gimenez, Houssem Aouar, Denis Suarez and Mauro Icardi so Antonio Conte is not taking this game for granted! It's a solid sign of respect and we shape up nicely, holding out until the 38th minute when Icardi opens the scoring. But shortly after hitting the post, Jamie Byrne, our first ever academy player, gets his second of the season in response! What a time to score only a 12th goal for the club in his 180th appearance! The boys are full of it in the dressing room at half-time and afterwards, Morata goes off injured which could disrupt some clubs but not Chelsea as they score right away to take back the lead through Baker and Icardi adds a third to win them the game. But with 6 shots to their 12, I'm proud of my boys as we worried them for a spell and we're left counting the joys of the FA Cup when we see 1,251,612 go into the bank account!

Chelsea 3:1 Leamington
    Pastoor 8, Dijksteel 6, Donacien 7, Suljic 6, Agovic 8, Sousa Silva 6, Willock 6 (Smith 7), Marsh 5, Lavery 7, Michos 6 (Chapman 7), Byrne 7.
    Goals - Byrne.
    Assists - Lavery.

Meanwhile, a second poor showing in a week has seen McCarthy fined a week's wages to which he responds with a transfer request. It's denied but I place him on the list anyway though no club appears to be interested in his services just yet.

Championship

From Stamford Bridge to the DW Stadium, the players have certainly been given a taste of the big time and know what they must do if they want to get there one day. It's an unchanged side as McCarthy is again left out of the squad whilst Lavery continues to play the striker role. This is a big game for us given that Wigan are 19th and a point ahead of us. Having just stopped the rot with our first point in a while, can we build on that with a win? The first half ends 0:0 but we've lost Willock to another injury. We actually play really well but a sucker punch in the 72nd minute puts us behind in a familiar story and we then lose Janoi Donacien to injury which leads me to play Joseph Asante, a right-back, out of position at left-back. Wigan then score at the death.

Wigan 2:0 Leamington
    Pastoor 8, Dijksteel 6, Donacien 6 (Asante 6), Suljic 7, Agovic 6, Sousa Silva 6, Willock 6 (Chapman 7), Marsh 7, Lavery 6, Michos 8 (Smith 6), Byrne 6.

Donacien is ruled out for three months with a torn groin muscle and Willock's out for a week after that double injury blow. Unfortunately, that result is another unwanted club record as we've now gone 12 games without a win. I do actually feel we've been unlucky in the last few games where we've played well but had lapses in concentration where we've been punished. It means that we've now sunk to the bottom of the table but we have every chance of getting out of this position if we can get the rub of the green and get the results that our play deserves.

Panagiotis Michos is doing his best to help us get out of this sticky spot. He's been employed all across the attacking three and even up front this season and has chipped in with six goals and four assists to date. He's fast proving to be a key player but needs others to start contributing to the cause as well.

Looking back at another former loanee, we've had Mohamed Eisa three times from Fulham. He was a major player in the team in his first two spells, which saw 20 goals scored in 51 appearances. However, his third spell of 6 in 38 appearances didn't quite match his previous efforts. Eisa has since been released by Fulham after coming off the bench just twice last year and the Sudanese forward recently moved to Kuwait where he has 3 in 13 starts for Al Arabi. Now 31, Eisa remains on our shortlist too.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some rotten luck with those results and certainly testing times now ahead....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Big E For This Useful Post:

vCash
    /revises prediction to comfortable mid-table

500k for Kyprianou! Hell of an agent there

Anything you can do tactically to ship less goals ya reckon? 2 wins would make a hell of a difference.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash

HENDO OUT!

Nice cup win - then v Chelsea a decent effort - where did 1.2m come from though? Gate receipts or prize money or both - seems VERY high?!

Awful stuff in the league and a 3 month injury to boot doesn't help (not a fan of him though)

Eisa did great for you but over the hill now and I'd remove him from shortlist

McCarthy - what a tool - glad ya taken action - will you still play him though given your selection policy?

Sulijic looks good but maybe lacking "in the air"

Looks like this level is showing that the standard of players you have may not be where it needs to be - and playing against much better teams the consistancy issue remains given the selecion policy

Survival now the order of the day!

Board must have made more worrying comments after this month?!

Any players doubting your ability or still holdinga tight ship?

Glad Harry has gone - he was a wrong 'un

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow Just wow !!!

Can the over achievers survive ?

How's your managerial status at the minute ?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Beardo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some rotten luck with those results and certainly testing times now ahead....
    Yup. Still think we're due to put an end to it and maybe we can get more of a settled XI now. Injuries are not helping the cause right now.

/revises prediction to comfortable mid-table

500k for Kyprianou! Hell of an agent there

Anything you can do tactically to ship less goals ya reckon? 2 wins would make a hell of a difference.
    Delighted with that fee! I think it was about 275K when we got promoted so being in the Championship added some value. Just what we needed along with the FA Cup revenue to build up a nice balance in the bank.

Could probably do a lot tactically but I'm not one for tinkering with that sort of thing. Got to keep faith in the system and the players!

HENDO OUT!

Nice cup win - then v Chelsea a decent effort - where did 1.2m come from though? Gate receipts or prize money or both - seems VERY high?!

Awful stuff in the league and a 3 month injury to boot doesn't help (not a fan of him though)

Eisa did great for you but over the hill now and I'd remove him from shortlist

McCarthy - what a tool - glad ya taken action - will you still play him though given your selection policy?

Sulijic looks good but maybe lacking "in the air"

Looks like this level is showing that the standard of players you have may not be where it needs to be - and playing against much better teams the consistancy issue remains given the selecion policy

Survival now the order of the day!

Board must have made more worrying comments after this month?!

Any players doubting your ability or still holdinga tight ship?

Glad Harry has gone - he was a wrong 'un
    Behave! I do worry sometimes as I think CM overlooks the work you've done if you've had a rapid rise from the lower leagues. Once you're at a level and have a bad sequence of results, there's no hesitation to fire you which I think is harsh in this sort of situation.

1.2M is the gate receipts from Stamford Bridge alone. We pulled in 1.6M altogether last month.

It depends if McCarthy sorts himself out for long enough to be selected. Pastoor had a wobble so it's ironic that he would have started at Chelsea if he didn't start playing silly buggars.

No comments made directly after games at all this month. Board confidence says 'delighted with your general performance' right now. I would like to add a win or two just to keep the confidence going too.

The only unhappy players are McCarthy (been treated "unfairly") and Djalo (homesick) who are listed and also Theate who is finding it hard to adjust in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    Wow Just wow !!!

Can the over achievers survive ?

How's your managerial status at the minute ?
    No problems at all. Reputation wise, I'm 68th and average. Overall, my match record is 14th best in the country

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sounds a slightly harsh ranking (like mine in Swans story) - supoose depends how you perform this season and if survive should surely go up

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ohh shit. Not going so well in the second tier. With the squad it isn't too surprising, but one positive is certainly the Greek, and I guess the cash money.
    If you can somehow survive, improve in the summer and we go again. Otherwise, hopefully just survive the board meeting in the summer and bounce straight back up.
    Still hope, but things need to change quickly.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Jesus that is some run that you are on. Where did the come from ? Survival any way you can is now the name of the game. Plenty of time left and a couple of wins would make a huge difference

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just noticed this on Twittorrrr

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Welsh Premier League Redders???

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big E For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sounds a slightly harsh ranking (like mine in Swans story) - supoose depends how you perform this season and if survive should surely go up
    I'd hope so! Maybe it's also because we've not won the league titles along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by dweatherston11 View Post
    Ohh shit. Not going so well in the second tier. With the squad it isn't too surprising, but one positive is certainly the Greek, and I guess the cash money.
    If you can somehow survive, improve in the summer and we go again. Otherwise, hopefully just survive the board meeting in the summer and bounce straight back up.
    Still hope, but things need to change quickly.
    It's going to be tough but with how tight the league is, I have faith that we can build up some momentum to get out of trouble. Then it should give me the opportunity to make some changes here and there.

Jesus that is some run that you are on. Where did the come from ? Survival any way you can is now the name of the game. Plenty of time left and a couple of wins would make a huge difference
    Yep, that start to the season seems like a long time ago now, doesn't it?!

Just noticed this on Twittorrrr

Haha, I've literally just logged on to the site tonight because I saw something similar on Sky Sports!

Welsh Premier League Redders???
    Well..

vCash
    The new Jamie Vardy or what? Kinell.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash
    He was certainly our very own Vardy for a few years! Is it too late for him to hit the goal trail?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well, I thought December was as bad as it was going to get but then you fell to the bottom of the table!!

Need an upturn in form. And soon. One win though will turn the morale and probably push you a few places up the table.

I think I remember you saying there was no chairman at the club. So you have no idea how patient they will be with you in terms of giving you the bullet. I think you are safe though and unlike KDS above, I'm not going to change my prediction and stick to saying you will come 15th.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 9 - February
    Nations = 24
    Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Burundi, Canada, England, Finland, France, Ghana, Greece, Luxembourg, Montserrat, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Scotland, Spain, Surinam, Sweden, Wales, Zimbabwe

It's certainly been a rapid decline in our season to go from 8th place to the bottom of the league table in just twelve games. Those twelve games have seen us lose ten times, draw twice and fail to win a single match. It certainly made for worrying reading but I was refusing to panic or throw in the towel just yet. Our performances haven't been too bad and I felt that we were just having individual moments where we'd be punished with a goal or a lack of finishing at the other end. There were still 16 games left to play and I have every faith in my players to get a first win on board and then build some momentum from there.

Championship

The first game comes against Blackpool (10th) and for me, this was an opportunity to make our home a tough place to visit again for our opponents. The injuries to Janoi Donacien and Chris Willock means starts for Michael Hughes and Jay Chapman whilst I have reverted to playing a natural striker up top as Ryan Powell takes over from Caolan Lavery. A fourth change also means that Erik Stokke starts ahead of Luis Sousa Silva in defensive midfield. We began the game well, but again failed to make possession count as Blackpool scored three in seven minutes. Jak Marsh (7) pulls one back but we'd left far too much to do to get back into it. The performance of the two centre-backs who haven't let us down this season just sums up my point about us getting punished when an individual switches off.

Leamington 1:3 Blackpool
    Pastoor 6, Dijksteel 7, Hughes 6, Suljic 5, Agovic 5, Stokke 7 (Asante 6), Michos 7 (Smith 7), Marsh 6, Powell 7, Chapman 7 (Lavery 7), Byrne 6.
    Goals - Marsh.
    Assists - Powell.

Championship

After failing to beat Blackpool on home turf as I had hoped, could we then beat Bristol City (3) away from home? There are three changes to the team and two in defence as we try and find the right combination to shore things up. Hughes is replaced by Tom King at left-back and Agovic has lost his place to Jonathan Muleba who also takes the armband. The other sees a fit again Willock take over from Jamie Byrne at left wing. The changes made no difference as Bristol City score after 15 minutes as Stokke was outwitted by a dribbling run. We don't concede again but more worryingly, we fail to even register a shot on target from only three attempts. We're now two points from safety.

Bristol City 1:0 Leamington
    Pastoor 8, Dijksteel 7, King 5, Suljic 5, Muleba 7, Stokke 5, Michos 6, Marsh 6, Powell 6, Chapman 6 (Lavery 7), Willock 5 (Byrne 7).

Championship

Ali Suljic really hasn't hit the ground running as I had hoped after replacing the departed Harry Kyprianou. He's now lost his place along with King as both Agovic and Hughes find themselves reinstated for the visit of Birmingham (23rd) in what is simply a must win game! A further change on the wing sees Willock dropped for Lavery. We gain a huge advantage after just 19 minutes when Birmingham's striker is sent off after getting caught punching Anfernee Dijksteel in the face! Do we respond by dominating the game and winning at a canter? Well, we find it tough to break down Birmingham but it comes from Dijksteel himself who scores his first ever goal for us to finally register a first league win in fourteen games! Victory moves us away from the bottom but only by one place as Derby remain in 22nd spot on goal difference.

Leamington 1:0 Birmingham
    Pastoor 7, Dijksteel 7, Hughes 7, Agovic 7, Muleba 7, Stokke 8, Lavery 7, Marsh 7, Powell 9, Chapman 7 (Byrne 7), Michos 7 (Smith 7).
    Goals - Dijksteel.
    Assists - Powell.
    MotM - Powell.

Championship

After knocking Fulham (4th) out of the FA Cup last month, could we repeat the feat by building on a rare win and make it two in a row? This game comes after playing Birmingham on a Wednesday night and so there's some changes to rotate the side as in come King, Sousa Silva, Tarek Taravel, Warren Smith and Byrne. I'm hoping the changes won't be a disruption and it didn't seem that way as we have six shots in just fifteen minutes. But Sod's Law dictates that none go in and Fulham score in the 30th minute. The players keep going and get a deserved point when Powell (7) gets an equaliser for us though we stay 23rd.

Fulham 1:1 Leamington
    Pastoor 8, Dijksteel 6 (Asante 6), King 6, Agovic 5, Muleba 6, Sousa Silva 6, Smith 5, Taravel 7, Powell 8, Michos 8 (Drinan 7), Byrne 7 (Soisalo 6).
    Goals - Powell.
    Assists - Michos.
    MotM - Michos.

Championship

If we can beat Reading (17th), we'd only be five points from them, which suggests this is another must-win to get out of our current predicament. Hughes, Lavery and Chapman return to the side after their rest but there's a fifth start of the season for Richard Laws as Stokke is ruled out injured and Sousa Silva has gone off the boil somewhat. Laws has registered just 9 assists in 101 appearances for us but gets a 10th in setting up Chapman, who actually scores his first goal of the season despite this being his 19th start. We go in at half-time in the lead but typically, Reading score immediately after the break. Powell (8) then becomes our hero once more in scoring our second goal to win the game!

Leamington 2:1 Reading
    Pastoor 8, Dijksteel 8, Hughes 6, Agovic 8, Muleba 6, Laws 7 (Asante 7), Lavery 7, Taravel 7, Powell 8, Chapman 8 (Byrne 7), Michos 8 (Drinan 7).
    Goals - Chapman, Powell.
    Assists - Laws.
    MotM - Chapman.

Well, that red card in the Birmingham game was a huge moment in our season. It helped pave the way for our first win and we've since drawn and won the next two to move off the bottom and are now 22nd. With 11 games left to play, have we now built up some consistency to get out of danger?

After our strikers have struggled for goals this year, I'm glad to see Ryan Powell has found the scoring touch in recent games to help us put a stop to that awful run of games. His eight goals to date is his third most productive season for us and he's now only 3 away from his best run.

I'd broken the club transfer record to sign Evan Alexandrow-Ridley for 120,000 from Melbourne City five years ago and it's fair to say we never got the value in that deal! After conceding an alarming 34 goals in just 16 starts, Alexandrow-Ridley struggled to gain any consistency after some very calamitous performances. We had tried to move him on but instead, the Lithuanian moved on to join Barrow on a Bosman two years ago. He has since kept up the poor goals conceded to games ratio as he has now conceded 122 games in 66 games with Barrow finishing 16th last year in the National League North and currently occupy 19th, just outside the relegation spots.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Well, I thought December was as bad as it was going to get but then you fell to the bottom of the table!!

Need an upturn in form. And soon. One win though will turn the morale and probably push you a few places up the table.

I think I remember you saying there was no chairman at the club. So you have no idea how patient they will be with you in terms of giving you the bullet. I think you are safe though and unlike KDS above, I'm not going to change my prediction and stick to saying you will come 15th.
    I think you are bang on with a certain statement there. At least, I hope so after this update!

vCash
    Not quite safe yet, and a lot of results must have gone against you to still be in the bottom 3.
    You do have some momentum and are at least starting to find the net again

Just be thankful that you dont have Alexandrow-Ridley any more. Things could be a whole lot worse

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You said it that red card moment was huge and could have saved the season
    Derby game in hand is worrying as is the gap to safety
    Massive 6 pointer win over Reading Reading down are all still in it IMO
    Powell always seems to deliver goals to games over the course of a season so good hes getting a run. Not much mention of Bonne!
    I never felt Mr Lietuva was given a fair crack of the whip and I think youve destroyed his career so much so hes struggling the level hes at

I have renewed confidence your form will improve but I think youre very much in the hands of those above you as well you need a couple of them to have a shite run now to get out of this

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I tell you, you have the magic touch with strikers. Ryan Powell is way worse than any of the forwards in 'Intrinsically Valuable' but he is 1 in 3 two leagues higher up the pyramid! Fingers crossed he can keep it up, but a pretty good month all-in-all. I'm still convinced you can stay up... but it iis gonna be close with that little gap that Hull and Rovers have over you

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Not quite safe yet, and a lot of results must have gone against you to still be in the bottom 3.
    You do have some momentum and are at least starting to find the net again

Just be thankful that you dont have Alexandrow-Ridley any more. Things could be a whole lot worse
    Indeed, yes! We've come a long way from the days of having Breeden and Alexandrow-Ridley to choose from

You said it that red card moment was huge and could have saved the season
    Derby game in hand is worrying as is the gap to safety
    Massive 6 pointer win over Reading Reading down are all still in it IMO
    Powell always seems to deliver goals to games over the course of a season so good hes getting a run. Not much mention of Bonne!
    I never felt Mr Lietuva was given a fair crack of the whip and I think youve destroyed his career so much so hes struggling the level hes at

I have renewed confidence your form will improve but I think youre very much in the hands of those above you as well you need a couple of them to have a shite run now to get out of this
    You just won't admit that the Lithuanian was just plain shite, will you?

Yeah, no action for Bonne this month although he has been on the bench in every game. Powell's fitness isn't even a concern to bring Bonne on in games at the moment!

I tell you, you have the magic touch with strikers. Ryan Powell is way worse than any of the forwards in 'Intrinsically Valuable' but he is 1 in 3 two leagues higher up the pyramid! Fingers crossed he can keep it up, but a pretty good month all-in-all. I'm still convinced you can stay up... but it iis gonna be close with that little gap that Hull and Rovers have over you
    I know! The likes of Powell, Laws, Smith and Byrne should be nowhere near the starting XI yet their form keeps getting them in ahead of their competitors who look far better on paper. I do think they'll be phased out eventually but at this rate, they'll be playing regularly enough to earn new contracts and become part of the furniture!