Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash
    • Did physios want more money than guys being brought in? Otherwise – why leave them go? Are any other att’s for physio beneficial in game really? I have no idea if so!
    • Parker a good upgrade on the ODB ledge!
    • Great stuff on training facilities and a credit to you on how you managing finances and not blowing ya load on players
    • No new faces though
    • Any idea on board expectations yet?
    • I reckon mid table would be a great effort

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    They're both an upgrade imo. I look at five attributes overall for physios and the two coming in having better attributes there

Think I missed the expectations for the season ahead Probably same again, avoid relegation!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    What have the facilities been upgraded to?
    If you sell will you buy?
    Decent upgrade on the scout.
    Any big teams been relegated that you are looking forward to visiting?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    'Good' facilities. Better than awful

Yes, definitely. I always sell before I can buy so it's on the basis we can sell the 4 that are listed to bring in new faces. There could also be surprise retirements but that would be a surprise. I think McCarthy is the oldest at 36, Lavery and Wallace are 33 and the rest below 32.

The three relegated were Charlton, Leeds and Forest. Not especially excited about those

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Caught up on the first season. Looks like you inherited a very tough job and you did brilliantly to get them promoted at the first attempt. Some good signings in the second half of the season (I particularly like the look of Randles) probably made the difference. Formidable backroom team as well.

Interesting challenge overall. I imagine it will be a while before you can get the full 50 nationalities in but I look forward to seeing how it progresses. Great read as ever, keep it up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ooh, another 7 seasons to go

Great to see you following though. I still don't know how we managed that promotion in the first year too! Was genuinely expecting to spend at least two years putting a squad together first!

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 10 - July
    Nations = 24
    Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Burundi, Canada, England, Finland, France, Ghana, Greece, Luxembourg, Montserrat, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Scotland, Spain, Surinam, Sweden, Wales, Zimbabwe

For the third time since I arrived at the club eight years ago, there were no new faces at the club as the players reported back for pre-season. I wasn't too overly concerned about that. All managers would like to freshen up their squads each year but football doesn't necessarily always work that way. I have stressed before that I wouldn't buy players just for the sake of buying players and would always put the club first financially. Having finally invested in training facilities for the first time, we were going about it the right way and now I hoped we were on the road to investing in the stadium in the near future.

There were just three days until we had the first of six friendlies which would all be played at home. This was likely to be the last pre-season where I'd restricted the players to home friendlies only, a decision I'd made previously simply to try and boost our finances via gate receipts. If we could consolidate ourselves as a regular Championship, I would like to start taking the squad abroad which will surely help to raise our profile even further across the globe.

Friendly

We kick off against Scottish outfit Albion Rovers where right-back Craig Murray had been on our radar for a number of years. My head scout, the newly appointed Tom Parker, felt that the 31 year old would no longer be of benefit to us so we will no longer have an interest in his fortunes. On the pitch, I named a largely fringe side of those who had rarely featured last year or had a stuttering end to the season. Amongst them is centre-midfielder Arthur Theate who I still hope will turn out to be a key player for us. The transfer listed Murray Wallace and Marcelo Djalo partnered each other at the back and young Adam Corcoran got a rare run out in the sticks. Theate made an immediate impact which delighted me, scoring after 12 minutes and Montserrat man Chris Willock doubled our lead, both goals set up by Jay Chapman.

Leamington 2:0 Albion Rovers
    Corcoran 7, Valenzuela Lozano 7, King 7, Wallace 7, Djalo 6, Sousa Silva 7, Wells 7, Theate 8, Nelson 7, Chapman 8, Willock 8.
    Goals - Theate, Willock.
    Assists - Chapman x2.
    MotM - Willock.

Friendly

Next up is non-league Kidderminster who had dropped out of the National League North the same year we had been promoted. Once again, we removed all interest in a player when our scout advised that 32 year old Joe Piggott would not be a worthwhile signing. As usual, the starting eleven is changed completely for this one with Ali Suljic handed a chance to redeem himself after a nightmare start to his career with us. It's also a chance for Macauley Bonne to get some action under his belt too. We start very well, with the legend that is Caolan Lavery opening the scoring before Warren Smith doubled our lead. But I'm left disappointd as Kidderminster score twice in a minute to tie the game before half-time, with Pigott ironically scoring the first. A Mikael Soisalo strike puts us back in the lead to win the game.

Leamington 3:2 Kidderminster
    Pastoor 7, Asante 6, Donacien 7, Suljic 7, Barrow 7, Stokke 7, Smith 8, Marsh 6, Bonne 7, Lavery 9, Soisalo 8.
    Goals - Lavery, Smith, Soisalo.
    Assists - Soisalo, Lavery x2.
    MotM - Lavery.

It seems that in being transfer listed, Murray Wallace decided to hang up his boots rather than seek pastures new. He did actually generate interest from Motherwell but after they failed to follow it up, he greeted us with the news that he'd be retiring! It is a shame for the lad as he'd done well in his first year in 18 appearances, scoring once, but didn't get into the side at all last year. We wish him all the best in his future ambitions and his retirement of course means that there's a spot free for me to add a new defender to the squad.

By complete coincidence, though there were also a Pole, a Czech, two Austrians, a Japanese and a Dane that I'd looked into signing, Wallace's replacement was also Scottish. Alex Davey becomes our fourth Scottish player (after Wallace, Steven Kinniburgh and Jordon Forster) and by another sheer coincidence, is a defender too! The one-time Chelsea graduate joins us after a career that took in Scunthorpe, Peterborough, Stabaek, Crawley, Boreham Wood, Bradford and Bristol Rovers. He offers power to our defence and I have high hopes that he'll do well and even offers us an option at left-back.

Friendly

Davey is handed the number 3 shirt but is named on the bench as we face our toughest friendly yet with League One Yeovil coming to town. With the final XI to feature for the first time (Davey excepted), we fall behind twice in the second half but Ryan Powell keeps up his form from last year in scoring twice to tie the game.

Leamington 2:2 Yeovil
    McCarthy 7, Dijksteel 7, Hughes 7, Agovic 6, Muleba 7, Laws 6, Michos 7, Taravel 8, Powell 9, Drinan 8, Byrne 7
    Goals - Powell x2.
    Assists - Drinan, Taravel.
    MoM - Powell.

Friendly

Irish side Drogheda United were invited for our final friendly of the month as a 25 year old versatile defender cum midfielder was removed from the shortlist after being scouted out. Davey was given the armband and selected at left-back for this one with the rest of the starting XI getting a second 90 minutes under their belts. A strike from Norwegian Erik Stokke gave us a first half lead and despite 15 shots to their 0, we failed to add to the goal.

Leamington 1:0 Drogheda
    Corcoran 7, Asante 8, Davey 8, King 8, Djalo 7, Stokke 8, Wells 6, Marsh 7, Nelson 7, Chapman 7, Willock 7.
    Goals - Stokke.
    Assists - Asante.
    MotM - Stokke.

The month ends with the news that we have been handed a home tie against West Brom in the first round of the League Cup. The Baggies and Leamington had passed each other when we were promoted to the Championship and therefore, we have never played them before. They had finished 11th in League One last season but still possess a decent enough squad that will pose a threat to us.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    • Good to see Theate having a good game first out
    • Muzza 
    • Davey looks superb
    • Formatting/writing all over the shop in Yeovil stats bit
    • Drogheda stats are from Yeovil game I think
    • Good pre-season so far!
    • Looks a tough draw but tables have turned to where you are in leagues now

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 2 done.

Promotion certainly took its toll on the club's finances but it'll be worth it in the long run. So many retirements in preseason.

Given your circumstances, perhaps it's not surprising that it was a struggle for most of the year, with results being very inconsistent. Still, you're bringing in a variety of different nationalities and I expect you to have a good go at promotion next season. Losing Otis Khan is a blow though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    • Good to see Theate having a good game first out
    • Muzza 
    • Davey looks superb
    • Formatting/writing all over the shop in Yeovil stats bit
    • Drogheda stats are from Yeovil game I think
    • Good pre-season so far!
    • Looks a tough draw but tables have turned to where you are in leagues now
    What the blinking heck happened to that formatting I've tidied it all up now!

Yeah, I'm pleased with the Davey signing, adds much needed quality to the defence even if Wallace wasn't that bad. Still, it's an upgrade which is the important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    Season 2 done.

Promotion certainly took its toll on the club's finances but it'll be worth it in the long run. So many retirements in preseason.

Given your circumstances, perhaps it's not surprising that it was a struggle for most of the year, with results being very inconsistent. Still, you're bringing in a variety of different nationalities and I expect you to have a good go at promotion next season. Losing Otis Khan is a blow though.
    Yeah, those retirements were insane! I thought there'd be a few but not that many! It was good to bring in a few younger lads though. I have high hopes for them all! Yeah, gutted that we never signed Khan up after that loan spell.

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 10 - August
    Nations = 24
    Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Burundi, Canada, England, Finland, France, Ghana, Greece, Luxembourg, Montserrat, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Saint Lucia, Scotland, Spain, Surinam, Sweden, Wales, Zimbabwe

Pre-season has certainly gone OK so far though I was mindful that we had only been tested once and that was the 2:2 draw against Yeovil. Still, it's mainly about getting minutes in the legs and getting the players up to speed ahead of the season itself.

Transfer wise, I was happy to have brought in Alex Davey after the sudden retirement of Murray Wallace. I was disappointed thought that we hadn't received any offers for Alex McCarthy whilst I wasn't surprised that Marcelo Djalo still hadn't attracted any bids after first going on the list this time last year. I also had mixed feelings about the lack of interest in Macauley Bonne too. At 30, the striker's time looked to be coming to an end after entering the last twelve months of his contract. After scoring 88 goals in 189 appearances, I did think we may be able to raise more funds by selling him after the Zimbabwean refused to discuss an extension of his contract but perhaps opposing managers felt that he had overachieved in those years. Who knows?

We will kick off the month with two final friendlies before the season gets underway. My personal objective will be to continue our season-by-season progression as a club and that means bettering the 17th place finish that we'd achieved last season in avoiding relegation.

Friendly

A completely unchanged side take on another non-league outfit but we fall behind to two first half goals despite enjoying more possession and chances. It seemed the defence just fell asleep and though Smith pulled one back for us, we crashed to a surprise defeat. I wasn't too concerned about it though as the objective in pre-season is to just get minutes under the belt.

Leamington 1:2 St. Albans
    Pastoor 6, Valenzuela Lozano 7, Donacien 6, Suljic 7, Agovic 7, Sousa Silva 8, Smith 8, Theate 7, Bonne 7, Drinan 7, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Smith.
    Assists - Sousa Silva.
    MotM - Sousa Silva.

Friendly

The sixth and final friendly of pre-season comes against Chester-le-Street and another completely changed line-up had more of an end product about them, storming into a 3:0 lead. An 83rd minute conceded goal took the gloss off the performance though but I was left happy as every player (barring the injured Davey) had managed two full games each.

Leamington 3:1 Chester-le-Street
    McCarthy 7, Dijksteel 8, Hughes 8, Muleba 6, Barrow 7, Laws 8, Lavery 7, Taravel 7, Powell 9, Michos 7, Soisalo 9.
    Goals - Soisalo x2, Powell.
    Assists - Laws x2.
    MotM - Soisalo.

Championship

The season begins at The Stadium of Light and the statistics for the first half reads 4 shots to Sunderland and 3 to Leamington. Unfortunately, we didn't score and Sunderland converted 3 of their chances to boast a 3:0 lead. It was simply a defensive horror show and though we tightened up in the second half and had plenty of chances to get back in the game, we couldn't find the net and start the season off with defeat.

Sunderland 3:0 Leamington
    McCarthy 5, Dijksteel 6 (Asante 7), Valenzuela Lozano 5, Hughes 7, Barrow 5, Laws 5, Soisalo 6 (Smith 7), Taravel 6, Powell 7, Lavery 7, Drinan 6 (Michos 6).

Championship

It was important for us to bounce back and start our home form in style, but Middlesbrough's visit was a tough prospect. Thankfully, I was able to hand Davey a debut after recovering from injury to replace Scott Barrow and there were three other changes as Inaki Valenzuela Lozano, Richard Laws and Aaron Drinan were replaced by Joseph Asante, Luis Sousa Silva and Warren Smith. Smith, who'd scored twice in pre-season, fired us ahead after just two minutes and celebrated wildly, especially as he hadn't scored at all last season! After the shambolic performance at Sunderland, I was only too pleased to see us stay tight and hold on to the lead to record a clean sheet too!

Leamington 1:0 Middlesbrough
    McCarthy 8, Asante 6, Hughes 8, Davey 8 (Barrow 6), Dijksteel 7, Sousa Silva 7, Soisalo 7 (Drinan 7), Taravel 7, Powell 7, Lavery 7, Smith 8.
    Goals - Smith.
    Assists - Lavery.

International news follow as Mikael Soisalo (Finland), Caolan Lavery (Northern Ireland), Inaki Valenzuela Lozano (Andorra) and Alen Agovic (Luxembourg) are called up for their nation's start of the European Qualifying stages. Would any of them make it to the big stage where we are yet to be represented?

EFL Cup First Round

Some may consider the League Cup a chance to play fringe players but not me. I named an unchanged side to take on League One's West Brom in the first ever meeting between both clubs. There were signs of our defensive frailty early on as West Brom scored twice in two minutes to lead, but we fought back with goals from Soisalo and Lavery to tie the game by half-time. Disaster followed in the 56th minute as Lavery undid his hard work with a red card for pushing away an opponent and it looked like we'd forced the game to penalties when West Brom scored a late winner.

Leamington 2:3 West Brom
    McCarthy 7, Asante 7, Hughes 6, Davey 7 (Muleba 7), Dijksteel 7, Sousa Silva 9 (Donacien 7), Soisalo 8 (Drinan 7), Taravel 7, Powell 7, Lavery 7, Smith 6.
    Goals - Soisalo, Lavery.

Championship

Lavery accepts an official warning for his dismissal and his place in the side goes to Drinan in the only change as we return to action on the Saturday at Cardiff, where one Kevin Sundstrom now plays but is not included in the squad to face us. Davey has been superb for us but is found wanting as Cardiff take an early lead before pulling up injured shortly after Cardiff got a second goal. Sousa Silva gets one back to give us hope of a comeback but Cardiff then score a third before Asante gets a second booking to leave us with 10 men once more.

Cardiff 3:1 Leamington
    McCarthy 8, Asante 4, Hughes 5, Davey 5 (Donacien 6), Dijksteel 6, Sousa Silva 7, Soisalo 6 (Byrne 6), Taravel 7, Powell 7, Drinan 7 (Michos 7), Smith 7.
    Goals - Sousa Silva.

Championship

With Davey now out for 3 weeks after breaking his toe and Asante banned for three games, changes were required for the visit of Wigan but in fact, with the game taking place on Monday night after featuring on Saturday, another six changes were also made which saw first starts for Janoi Donacien, Jonathan Muleba, Erik Stokke, Arthur Theate, Panagiotis Michos and Bonne. We took an early lead through Anfernee Dijksteel and this time, the opponent was issued a red card after 32 minutes and despite losing Stokke to injury and Theate missing a penalty, we went on to win 4:0 with one Bonne grabbing a brace!

Leamington 4:0 Wigan
    McCarthy 8, Valenzuela Lozano 8, Donacien 8, Muleba 7, Dijksteel 8, Stokke 7 (Agovic 8), Lavery 7, Theate 9, Bonne 10, Drinan 7 (Chapman 8), Michos 7 (Byrne 7).
    Goals - Dijksteel, Theate, Bonne x2.
    Assists - Theate, Chapman x2.
    MoM - Bonne.

Well, it's been a rollercoaster ride already after five games this month. We find ourselves eliminated from the League Cup and after conceding three times in both away games, we've managed to pick up wins without conceding at all! Hopefully, it won't take long for the team to settle down and for us to get into a rhythm again.

I'm delighted to see not only Macauley Bonne back amongst the goals in the most recent outing but also to see Arthur Theate put in a superb performance in his first start of the season. He's a player that I have real high hopes for and I'm expecting him to push on and become a regular now. Both will do well to keep up their form but in terms of who has played well so far, we have to give a shout out to Luis Sousa Silva. The Portuguese defensive midfielder has now racked up 211 appearances for the club but has only recently declared that he is homesick. He still has 21 months on his contract though so I don't forsee him going anywhere and like others before him, we'll review his situation at the end of the season.

A look back at a couple of seasons ago, we sold Ben Wilson to Chelsea of Ghana for £100,000 after conceding 94 goals in 71 appearances for us in two years. It had been a great deal for us having signed Wilson on a Bosman from Chester. He has since gone on to start 60 times in Ghana and is now valued at £30,000. Incidentally, he had joined Connor Gudger over there who has now retired.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    • Q – do you carry “form” over into a new season? Wandering why the feck transfer listed McCarthy started in goal?!
    • Out of cup already
    • Is Davey injury prone?! Physios taken a look at him?
    • BONNE IS BACK!
    • Very much a mixed start and I think this is how your season will pan out
    • Wilson having a whale of a time in Africa!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    • Q – do you carry “form” over into a new season? Wandering why the feck transfer listed McCarthy started in goal?!
    • Out of cup already
    • Is Davey injury prone?! Physios taken a look at him?
    • BONNE IS BACK!
    • Very much a mixed start and I think this is how your season will pan out
    • Wilson having a whale of a time in Africa!
    Form is always the last 5 games, and everyone got two games in pre-season to make an account for themselves too.

Not taken a look at Davey but certainly has been worrying that he was injured in pre-season, then was taken off early twice due to his fitness dropping. Bad luck if we've signed an injury prone player!

I'll take a mixed season, could mean a potential mid-table finish!

vCash
    Season 3 done.

A steady improvement on last season results wise and the finances are looking much healthier too. An alarming number of goals conceded though, surprising after bolstering your defence with some excellent signings. Time to look for a new keeper?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice start to the season. Worrying about Davey, injuries adding up already.
    Sad to see Muzza retire too.
    Bonne is back!!
    Bring on September

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    Season 3 done.

A steady improvement on last season results wise and the finances are looking much healthier too. An alarming number of goals conceded though, surprising after bolstering your defence with some excellent signings. Time to look for a new keeper?
    Who was the 'keeper, Breeden? I did like the fact that he'd served us well to begin with but yeah, we definitely had to improve sooner or later. I was certainly disappointed with the defence, think Gunning/Forster should have tightened us up big time!

Quote Originally Posted by dweatherston11 View Post
    Nice start to the season. Worrying about Davey, injuries adding up already.
    Sad to see Muzza retire too.
    Bonne is back!!
    Bring on September
    Yeah, it felt like Wallace had more to give? But he was getting on and I suppose Davey is too though I expected a lot more in terms of quality from him.

Nice to see Bonne in the goals again indeed! I do wonder if he can keep it up or whether it'd make a difference in terms of being set to leave at the end of this season.

vCash
    As mentioned, mixed start.
    Shame to go out of the cup so early and against a lower league side as well. Even though they West Brom and a 'bigger' team

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm not too fussed. I know it'd be nice to get a cup run going but my main priority is to work on becoming a solid outfit in the league. Gone are the days where we'd rely hopefully on a cup run to boost our finances!

vCash
    Bit of a mixed set of results there, but early doors.
    Disappointed to duck out of the League Cup so early. What is your record in cup ties ? I can't remember many wins
    Alex Davey looks like a good 'un
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 10 - September
    Nations = 24

After losing Erik Stokke to injury in our last game to go on the sidelines with the injured Alex Davey and suspended Joseph Asante, we were hit by a mini-injury crisis as Panagiotis Michos and Ali Suljic also went in the treatment room. Fortunately, thanks to an international break, we wouldn't actually play a game until the 12th September.

Talking of internationals, the European Championship Qualifying campaign got underway for our called up players though only Inaki Valenzuela Lozano featured, losing 2:0 to Albania in his 23rd cap. A few days later, he performed better but still lost 2:1 in Romania to leave Andorra rooted to the bottom of their six-team group. Elsewhere, Caolan Lavery earned only a second cap for Northern Ireland, coming off the bench in a 2:1 defeat to England where his side had actually been leading when he joined the action.

Championship

Despite the break in between games, only Suljic returned to training leaving us short of four players. The last game had been one with wholesale changes due to playing twice in three days. As a result, there were seven changes to the starting XI but Arthur Theate keeping his place after a superb first appearance of the season, one which will hopefully lead to many more. Ryan Powell's first goal of the season gives us a deserved lead and Anfernee Dijksteel and captain Warren Smith made it 3:0 in the second half to keep our winning home form going.

Leamington 3:0 Brentford
    McCarthy 8, Hughes 7, Donacien 8, Agovic 7, Dijksteel 7, Sousa Silva 8, Soisalo 7 (Lavery 8), Theate 7 (Taravel 7), Powell 9, Chapman 7 (Drinan 7), Smith 8.
    Goals - Powell, Dijksteel, Smith.
    Assists - Sousa Silva, Lavery.
    MotM - Powell.

Championship

Four days later, we travel to Bristol City hoping to end our pointless win away from home. The team look fit but there's just the one change as Mikael Soisalo swaps places with Aaron Drinan on the right wing. This game is certainly lacking in the entertainment factor but I don't care as we draw 0:0 and pick up our first point on our travels this season.

Bristol City 0:0 Leamington
    McCarthy 8, Hughes 6, Donacien 6, Agovic 7, Dijksteel 7, Sousa Silva 6, Drinan 7 (Lavery 7), Theate 7 (Taravel 7), Powell 7, Chapman 7 (Soisalo 7), Smith 6.
    MotM - McCarthy.

Championship

The recently relegated from the top flight Nottm Forest seem to struggling to adapt to Championship football as they sit 22nd. Still, I expect them to be a threat to our 100% record at home so far. Davey gives us a boost in returning to training and comes straight into the team at the expense of Michael Hughes with Dijksteel moving to right-back. A second change also takes place as Smith drops out in favour of Lavery who lines up on the right wing with Drinan moving to the left. Alen Agovic takes over the armband and despite a bright enough start, we go in at half-time a goal down. A half-time change in Smith coming on for Jay Chapman at half-time sees Lavery switch inside and he sets up a first ever Leamington goal for Davey to level the game. Lavery rattles the crossbar shortly afterwards as we look to seal a win but instead, we settle for a point.

Leamington 1:1 Nottm Forest
    McCarthy 7, Dijksteel 7, Donacien 7, Davey 7, Agovic 8, Sousa Silva 8, Lavery 8, Theate 6 (Taravel 6), Powell 6, Chapman 6 (Smith 7), Drinan 7 (Soisalo 7).
    Goals - Davey.
    Assists - Lavery.

Championship

Charlton are another relegated Premier League side who are in the lower half of the table (16th). For this one, there's a change as Macauley Bonne replaces Powell who has gone off the boil since opening his account for the season in the win over Brentford. Bonne had scored a brace against Wigan at the backend of last month and this is his chance to add to that, though Charlton lead after 22 minutes. We're denied a penalty as Bonne is clearly clipped by the goalkeeper and ultimately lose the game to end a run of four games without defeat.

Charlton 1:0 Leamington
    McCarthy 7, Dijksteel 7, Donacien 6, Davey 6, Agovic 6, Sousa Silva 6, Lavery 7, Theate 6, Bonne 6, Chapman 6 (Soisalo 7), Drinan 7.

Valenzuela Lozano (Andorra) and Lavery (Northern Ireland) are again called up for international duty next month along with Soisalo (Finland) and Agovic (Luxembourg) who will be hoping to feature. Soisalo especially will be in a squad that will play Andorra in their group.

Championship

Leeds away from home makes it three games all against teams who were relegated last season from the top flight! Despite some lacklustre performances at Charlton, we are unchanged as we again concede one in the first half. We're never out of the game completely, having chances of our own but it falls apart in the last three minutes where they score two more as we had pushed for an equaliser.

Leeds 3:0 Leamington
    McCarthy 8, Dijksteel 7, Donacien 6, Davey 7, Agovic 6, Sousa Silva 6, Lavery 7, Theate 6, Bonne 6, Chapman 6 (Michos 6), Drinan 7.

A bright start to the month that had seen us climb as high as 6th place has resulted in being 17th after losing the last two games. I'm not too overly concerned though given that we have just been through a tough schedule of facing the three relegated teams in 11 days. I'm encouraged too, that we remain unbeaten at home which will hopefully be a strength of ours this season.

You have to give credit where it's due. He was a pain in the arse last season and remains on the transfer list but Alex McCarthy's performances on the pitch itself has never dropped, earning his first man of the match award for us this month. Prior to that Leeds defeat, McCarthy was enjoying a run of conceding only two in five games and kept three clean sheets in the process.

I had expected more from William Tidstrand we signed him on a season long loan from Birmingham but perhaps he had too big shoes to fill after we'd sold compatriot Kevin Sundstrom before his arrival. Tidstrnd only managed 9 starts (and 12 from the bench) and failed to score at all, setting up just the one goal during his time with us. He returned to Birmingham and failed to feature at all for them last season as they finished rock bottom in the Championship. He has made an appearance from the bench this season but doesn't seem to be part of their plans once more as he is on the loan list once again.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Bit of a mixed set of results there, but early doors.
    Disappointed to duck out of the League Cup so early. What is your record in cup ties ? I can't remember many wins
    Alex Davey looks like a good 'un
    Yeah, we don't have a good record in the EFL Cup, that's for sure. Gone out at the first stage four times now and only managed the second round twice which were in the last two seasons.

vCash
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm - mixed month

But very tough fixtures there against some big boys

Lack of goals is worrying (always been the csae for you) but at least you are "generally" stable at the back

Look how crazy the table is though - typical Championship - put a run together and you can go far!

4 points from bottom to 10th

I predict a topsy turvy season - really need Powell or Bonne to have a purple patch

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Lack of goals hasn't always been the case for us. Maybe at this level, agreed but certainly not in the past. We got 97 goals when we were promoted from League One!

I think we'll be OK if we can keep strong at home and then pick up points occasionally away. Should be a definite improvement on last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yeah, we don't have a good record in the EFL Cup, that's for sure. Gone out at the first stage four times now and only managed the second round twice which were in the last two seasons.
    What is your best in the FA cup and EFL Trophy. I cant recall any long runs there
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    We reached the 4th round for only the second time last season in the FA Cup. Got to the 3rd Round once and the 2nd Round twice. Knocked out of the 1st Round twice and qualifying round twice too!

EFL Trophy - Can't compete in that any more but had gone out at the 2nd round last time we were in it. Also went out at the first hurdle 3 times and reached the QF once!

Not great reading but I'd argue that we've more than made up with it with 4 promotions in 8 years

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post: