Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546
Results 1,126 to 1,143 of 1143

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash
    Jesus - Arteta is a steal!
    Think you can argue? Test your skills in Ban this Filth today! Respond to this thread and plead your case, and if you're a football fan, have a go at Best of the Best!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobclear For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Not much upgrade in Scouts

Coaches upgrade well though and Arteta a great appointment!

Lavery - shame no coaching att's?

Powell - grafter - can't ask for more and we wish him ell

Afif did ok for 1 season

Christ - that was some quandry about Quesada - is he pissed?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yeah Lavery has full-on retired I don't think anyone but Stefan Moore back in my first year have actually turned into non-playing staff!

Nope, all is good with Quesada thankfully!

Couldn't do much better with scouts. Both still an upgrade though, replaced judging abilities of 12/11 and 11/11 with 14/14 and 13/12. Best I could do!

vCash
    * Well, Arteta looks like an amazing assistant, be surprised if he is with you for long.
    * Scouts are average.
    * Lavery won the hearts of the fans, probably just Redders wanted him replaced after season 7
    * Afif is no loss really.
    * Wow, 6m for Quesada, very tempting indeed. A 10m with percentage of next sales would be enough to persuade me with those debts!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Redders feels no attachment to any of our players

Yeah, if they can stump up 10M, I'd snap their hands off. I don't want to part with Quesada but with the finances as they are, maybe it's worth considering. Having said that, my usual policy is not to accept any bids for players who aren't actually available.

vCash
    I have plenty of love for some of them....................trying to think who though

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    That April was an absolute bust.

But on the bright side, although it's technically a worse season than the one before, you were only three points off the play off spots.
    Arteta will definately make a difference in the dugout next season.

Looking forward to the unveiling of the Lavery Stand over the summer!

I must say I'd have been snapping Gijon's arm off for that 6m. Brave move to turn it down. Let's hope he repays you now for having faith in him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    I have plenty of love for some of them....................trying to think who though
    That says it all, you just moan about things instead of building affection for the players who got little old Leamington, the smallest club in the English leagues with the smallest capacity to the Championship in just eight seasons. I don't get it, true fan my arse

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    That April was an absolute bust.

But on the bright side, although it's technically a worse season than the one before, you were only three points off the play off spots.
    Arteta will definately make a difference in the dugout next season.

Looking forward to the unveiling of the Lavery Stand over the summer!

I must say I'd have been snapping Gijon's arm off for that 6m. Brave move to turn it down. Let's hope he repays you now for having faith in him.
    Thing is, I could accept it but then we'd be back in debt within four months. Seems like a pointless exercise! I've checked and we paid out 1.5M in wages in May.

vCash
    Hendo and fan in twitter spat!

I agree on rejecting 6m for Quesada. Hes a belter of a player (could be better as DM ) and youve gone through to days of being fully responsible on keeping club on even keel.
    With the success you have had I would imagine owners would dip in pockets and bail you out if needs be, but also to be understand you are trying to get to promised land and that aint gonna happen selling best players

10m and hed have to go though!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 13 - July
    Nations = 25
    Azerbaijan, Croatia, Denmark, Democratic Republic of Congo, England, Finland, France, French Guiana, Ghana, Greece, Indonesia, Italy, Luxembourg, Martinique, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Surinam, Sweden, The Gambia, Zambia
    ]

As the July transfer window opened, the departure of Erik Stokke was confirmed as he completed his Bosman transfer to Alfreton. Our first and only Norwegian, Stokke brings to an end a nine year spell during which he scored 14 times in 178 appearances. Admittedly, the Norwegian was never the most consistent of players as he largely played backup to Luis Sousa Silva who we released last year. Still, he never shied away from his task in defensive midfield and had actually contributed with five goals last season. We wish him all the best in the National League, a level he returns to after eight years.

I'm sorry to say though that we had not managed to line up a replacement for Stokke, nor had we concluded any deal to replace the retired Akram Afif and Caolan Lavery in time for the window to open. It's been a strange time in the transfer market for us at the moment as although we have a 78 page shortlist of players that we have built up over the years, I was struggling to find any player that fit the criteria and were open to a move to Leamington. Perhaps it's a sad reflection on our financial power as it stands? All is not lost though as with the window now open, it gives me the opportunity to explore the loan market for the first time in four years.

Friendly

We schedule an appealing trip to Italy for our supporters in our first friendly as the players are thrown straight into action. The first one sees players largely in the fringes last year with the likes of Adam Corcoran, Alex Davey and Scott Barrow starting. We perform well enough, winning thanks to a Mikael Soisalo strike but I am left cursing when Tarek Taravel and Dominic Wells are both forced off with injuries. Taravel will only be out for ten days with a damaged heel but it's awful news for Wells who broke his ankle and will be out for six months.

Vibonese 0:1 Leamington
    Corcoran 7, Melandri 6, Davey 7, Suljic 7, Barrow 7, Pelupessy 7, Wells 6 (Nasyrov 6), Taravel 6 (Robson 6), Nelson 6, Michos 7, Soisalo 8.
    Goals - Soisalo.

Friendly

Next is a visit at home of Concord Rangers who we wish to run the rule over a centre midfielder who was once on the books at Chelsea before falling down the leagues. Sadly, we have no new faces in the squad for this one as I have yet to strike gold in the loan market. The performance isn't great in this friendly, though I appreciate a number of players are still working their way back to full fitness. Still, I'd expect us to do better against a non-league outfit. At least there were no injuries this time!

Leamington 1:2 Concord Rangers
    Ronnow 6, Asante 6, Pellet 5, Simunovic 7, Agovic 6, Herelle 8, Tannane 8, Robson 6, Lawrence 6, Nasyrov 7, Claro 7.
    Goals - Tannane.
    Assists - Asante.

In addition to being on the look out for two midfielders, we'll now be searching for a defender as the retirement of Alex Davey was confirmed. It's a shame this one didn't quite work out as I was pleased with his arrival three years ago. But he was rather injury prone and didn't manage a game for us at all last season. He bows out with a record of 2 goals in 48 appearances in his three years with us.

Friendly

The fans are treated to another away day abroad, this time to Switzerland where we are welcomed by St. Gallen. Once again the side is rotated though a few now play for a second time. We look a much better side but the problems from last season clearly haven't gone away as although we matched St. Gallen throughout the game, we lose 3:0.

St. Gallen 3:0 Leamington
    Pastoor 5, Melandri 6, Masuaku 5, Musonda 5, Suljic 5, Pelupessy 6, Soisalo 6, Marsh 7, Hindmarch 7, Michos 7, Drinan 6.

Fifteen days into the window, we sign our first player at long last and it's actually not a loanee. Nathaniel Chalobah was released by Crystal Palace and we have swooped him to snap him up as a free agent. Despite being 34 years of age, Chalobah looks fit as a fiddle and will hopefully become a key cog in our machine this season, battling with Armand Herelle and Joey Pelupessy for the defensive midfield role as a replacement for Stokke. He is also our very first player from Sierra Leone and is our 51st nationality since we started the global project.

Two days later, we brought in David Turnbull for free after his time at Hibernian came to an end, where he managed 28 goals and 37 assists in 149 appearances. I wasn't having much joy in the transfer market and with limited options in the free agent market too, I decided to take the plunge and bring in David Turnbull (no relation to Craig Turnbull!) as our fifth Scottish representative after Jordon Forster, Steven Kinniburgh, Murray Wallace and Alex Davey. It's the first time we've signed a Scottish player who wasn't a defender!

Friendly

Next up is a visit from East Fife in Scotland against whom Chalobah and Turnbull are thrown straight in, being assigned then number 28 and 21 shirts respectively. To make things more confusing for some, Craig Turnbull also lines up along with Alex Evans as the only players yet to taste any action this pre-season. Though we will not get carried away with the result, it's really good to see us win so emphatically after scoring six goals, one of which came from Chalobah and another that had been assisted by D.Turnbull.

Leamington 6:0 East Fife
    Ronnow 7, Asante 7, Evans 8, Musonda 8, Barrow 7, Chalobah 8, Claro 10, C.Turnbull 8, Lawrence 10, D.Turnbull 8, Drinan 8.
    Goals - Chalobah, Asante, Claro x2, Lawrence x2.
    Assists - Drinan, D.Turnbull, Lawrence, C.Turnbull, Claro.
    MotM - Claro.

Following the game, we've also received confirmation that Arthur Masuaku has now retired as expected. Our first player from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Masuaku only joined a year ago and scored once in 22 appearances. In all honesty, he won't be missed as we have three left-backs on the books already (Carlos Quesada, Amaury Pellet and Alex Evans) and therefore won't find a replacement.

I finally managed to strike gold in the loan market as Fulham accepted a season long loan for their Swiss international centre-half. Stefan Kamber, who has 10 caps, becomes our first player on the books from Switzerland and will hopefully help us shore things up at the back! To say that I am delighted with this arrival would be an understatement!

Friendly

Kaber is handed the number 15 shirt as he starts in our third and final friendly abroad, this time in Germany to play Aachen. With he and Quesada starting, every player has now featured in pre-season with the exception of Anfernee Dijksteel who is in rehab following surgery and wouldn't be back for another three months. Ethan Robson showed signs of his old self as he got the game underway with a strike which was added to from Soisalo and Buday Nasyrov though Soisalo suffered an injury, being ruled out for three week with a damaged foot.

Aachen 1:3 Leamington
    Corcoran 6, Melandri 7, Quesada 7, Agovic 6, Kamber 6, Chalobah 6, Soisalo 7 (Michos 7), Robson 7, Nelson 8, Nasyrov 8, Tannane 7.
    Goals - Robson, Soisalo, Nasyrov.
    Assists - Chalobah.
    MotM - Nasyrov.

We now have just the one more friendly left until the season gets underway and have been handed a home tie against League Two Crewe for the first round of the EFL Cup. Unfortunately, we're not getting much interest in the quartet of Scott Barrow, Joey Pelupessy, Ethan Robson and Mikael Soisalo though Sporting Gijon have tried their luck for Carlos Quesada a couple of times. I am now only after one more player to add to the squad, an offensive midfielder, and currently have my eye on a Welsh free agent and a young Senegalese winger who may not be able to get a work permit.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    3 very good signings there!

Excited by Chaloboah (2 yellow cards in games he had though - eek!)

Turnbull could do some "numbers" for you

Swiss defender looks AWESOME

Mixed pre-season but results improved the later you went on which is good and maybe expected with fitness

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yes - quality additions!

Couple of poor results but came back to kick some ass in the end of the month
    Think you can argue? Test your skills in Ban this Filth today! Respond to this thread and plead your case, and if you're a football fan, have a go at Best of the Best!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobclear For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    3 very good signings there!

Excited by Chaloboah (2 yellow cards in games he had though - eek!)

Turnbull could do some "numbers" for you

Swiss defender looks AWESOME

Mixed pre-season but results improved the later you went on which is good and maybe expected with fitness
    Yeah, two bookings and both in friendlies. Much be very eager to impress!

The fringe/out of form players were the first ones to get a run out in pre-season so probably the main reason why we didn't perform so well. Plus fitness levels indeed a very low as we start pre-season, quite a few had 'tired'.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 13 - August
    Nations = 24
    Azerbaijan, Croatia, Denmark, England, Finland, France, French Guiana, Ghana, Greece, Indonesia, Italy, Luxembourg, Martinique, Morocco, Netherlands, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Sierra Leone, Spain, Surinam, Sweden, The Gambia, Zambia

So what can we expect when the season gets underway? I honestly have absolutely no idea. It's been a long time since we had our hands tied financially due to debt, with the club now 695,820 in the red as it stands. I urged the players not to focus on events off the pitch but to concentrate their efforts on it. We had one final friendly to play and then our fifth campaign in the Championship will get underway. Where has the time gone?! In the meantime, hopefully we will add that new midfielder to the squad before the window closes.

Friendly

Staines Town come to our place for the last friendly where Wouter Pastoor, Amaury Pellet, Stefan Kamber, Tarek Taravel, David Turnbul, Miguel Claro and Kodi Hindmarch got a second 90 minutes under their belts. As expected, we ran to a 4:0 win with goals from four of those players!

Leamington 4:0 Staines
    Pastoor 7, Asante 8, Pellet 7, Suljic 8, Kamber 9, Herelle 10, Michos 7, Taravel 8, Hindmarch 8, D.Turnbull 9 , Claro 9..
    Goals - Kamber, D.Turnbull, Hindmarch, Claro.
    Assists - Herelle x2, Taravel.
    MotM - Herelle.

Championship

And so it begins! We kick the season off at Bury, who were promoted via 2nd place from League One last season. I fully expect us to win this one despite our woes on the road last season. Kamber and David Turnbull are both handed their official debuts and the latter rattles the crossbar early on before namesake Craig (1) opens the scoring himself. But Jozo Simunovic gets injured in the first half which hands a rare appearance to Scott Barrow who has not featured for two years but has had a decent pre-season. Bury equalise and then go ahead by a further two goals as we completely lose our grip in the game. Claro (1) pulls one back after the break but we're unable to find that third goal to salvage a point. After the game, I make it clear that I'm disappointed with how they surrendered the game so easily and am personally disappointed with Hindmarch, who wasted a bag full of chances.

Bury 3:2 Leamington
    Pastoorrrr 6, Asante 7, Quesada 7, Simunovic 6 (Barrow 6), Kamber 6, Herelle 9, Claro 7, C.Turnbull 8, Hindmarch 5, D.Turnbull 7, Drinan 7 (Tannane 6).
    Goals - C.Turnbull, Claro.
    Assists - Herelle.

The Welsh free agent who I'd hoped to add to the squad was asking for a substantial wage and more than we could offer in terms of a signing on fee. Fortunately, I spotted that another Welsh forward was now interested in joining us and snapped him up on loan from Bristol City. 25 year old Joe Parker offers great versatility and becomes our third Welsh player after Liam Randles and Michael Hughes. That concludes my business in the transfer market now unless we are able to move any of the listed players on.

Championship

Parker is issued the number 22 shirt and finds himself starting straight away on the left flank in place of Aaron Drinan. He's one of three changes to the side as we also replace Pastoor with Frederik Ronnow in the sticks whilst Barrow takes over from Simunovic who is out for three weeks. Wigan had repeated our feat in finishing 4th last season but failing to make it through the playoffs. They proved why they were up there last year with a goal in each half to leave us searching for our first win. It was an especially poor performance as far as I was concerned, even with Armand Herelle having a goal disallowed and I'm disappointed again that we aren't able to rely on our usual solid home form.

Leamington 0:2 Wigan
    Ronnow 7, Asante 6, Quesada 7, Barrow 7, Kamber 8, Herelle 7 (Pelupessy 7), Claro 7 (Tannane 7), C.Turnbull 7, Hindmarch 7, D.Turnbull 7, Parker 7 (Drinan 6).

International news follow as we have several players called up. Mikael Soisalo (Finland), Carlos Quesada (Spain U21), Alen Agovic (Luxembourg), Buday Nasyrov (Azerbaijan), Kamber (Switzerland) and Ali Suljic (Sweden) are six European players who will be jetting off at the end of the month. Meanwhile, Sporting Gijon have once again baulked at the 10M asking price for Quesada.

EFL Cup First Round

We play Crewe for the first time in five years and it's a chance for us to regain some confidence with a win on home turf. Jamie Lawrence is handed his first start of the season with Hindmarch dropped to the bench. Two other changes see Joseph Asante and Craig Turnbull rested and they are replaced by Andrea Melandri and Jak Marsh. We go on to have 13 chances but fail to find the net as the first 90 minutes are goalless. Hindmarch comes on with Nathaniel Chalobah making his debut but no goals are forthcoming as it goes to penalties. It starts well with Ronnow saving Crewe's spot kick and Hindmarch converts, but Parker and David Turnbull fail to convert. Crewe then miss one too so it goes to sudden death after Kamber, Chalobah and Melandri score. But Oussama Tannane misses his spotkick and Crewe go through after scoring their seventh spotkick.

Leamington 0:0 Crewe
    Ronnow 8, Melandri 7, Quesada 8, Barrow 6, Kamber 8, Herelle 7 (Chalobah 8), Claro 7 (Tannane 7), Marsh 7, Lawrence 7 (Hindmarch 7), D.Turnbull 8, Parker 7.

Championship

At this point of the season, we would play on the Saturday and then a Monday. But by a stroke of luck, we don't feature at the weekend before welcoming Stoke on Monday. It allows the team who went to penalties to recover with plenty of time to spare and we welcome back Asante and Craig Turnbull in only two changes. Stoke are left with 10 men after 27 minutes for a poor challenge on Claro which should be what we need to get our first win of the season but we just can't seem to score at the moment as we end up drawing 0:0 to finally pick up our first point of the season. Parker is also injured with a twisted knee that puts him out for ten days.

Leamington 0:0 Stoke
    Ronnow 8, Asante 6, Quesada 7, Barrow 6 (Agovic 6), Kamber 7, Herelle 7 (Chalobah 7), Claro 7, C.Turnbull 6, Lawrence 7, D.Turnbull 7, Parker 7 (Tannane 7).

Well, I am certainly struggling to remember when we had a worse start to the season than this?! A poor surrender at Bury, an awful home display against Wigan, a disappointing First Round elimination on penalties to a League Two side and an inability to score against ten men for an hour has led to our being joint bottom of the division. Surely the only way now is up?!

I'm pleased to see that David Turnbull and Stefan Kamber appear to have settled in well. Miguel Claro is in decent form too but the man who is getting the hard work done for us is Martinican Armand Herelle who has built on his pre-season form with some fine displays.

Looking back in my fifth season again, Dan Quigley had been the last player to head out of the club but has now retired. I then turn to our loans in that season and find that Brandon Payne is still going at the age of 31 where he now plays in League One with Rotherham. Payne had come to us on loan from Cardiff for a season, scoring 6 in 46 appearances. He'd impressed but went to Norwich on a Bosman deal only to play just once in five years which was from the bench! Despite that, he managed to get his one and only cap for Ireland whilst at Carrow Road before being released. He then joined Rotherham in last season's January window and has yet to score for them, playing 19 times so far.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Disastrous start - hopefully you will turn the corner, but there is plenty to play for....

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Big E For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Disastrous start - hopefully you will turn the corner, but there is plenty to play for....
    Hopefully! It's still early days for sure but we've got a big turnaround to do! Hopefully just a case of finding a settled XI again.

vCash
    1st game of season - is your strating line up still based off form or do you just choose who you want 1st game - then from there in it's form based? (pretty sure the former - I was just surprised Jozo Sim played)

Ugh - horrific start, out of a cup already (the fans love a cup run but never really had one IIRC?) and REALLY struggling to score goals

Doesn't seem like the team are playing badly in gerenal - just cohesion and gelling taking a little time

Good perfromances from Chalobalah so far in his 2 games

Welsh fella looks very good - assume he'll play in midfield for you though?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Always based on form, except in friendlies where I try to give everyone an equal amount of game time.

Hopefully they'll come good again soon.

Yeah, although he's a forward, I plan to use him in any of the three attacking midfield spots.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546