Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 2 - June
    Nations = 6
    England, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Wales

I return back to the UK nicely tanned and arrive at the New Windmill Ground at the beginning of June in a frustrated mood. The frustration had boiled over when I had failed to organise any more departures from the club despite there being eight players on the transfer list. After two years at the club, I had never been able to spend a penny with a debt to deal with and it had built up once more over the past year. Assuming the sales of Neil Collett, Phil Butcher, Ian Morris and Luke Wells went through without a hitch, we were set to bank 122,000 which of course, wouldn't clear our debt of 445,230 as of 2nd June.

Junior English, Craig Owens, Karl Ledsham and Josh Hawker were not triggering any interest whatsoever. I had especially hoped to raise at least 100,000 for Ledsham. There was interest in Rob Ogleby and Craig Owen but no serious bids had materialised.

Hopefully as we approach the opening of the transfer window in July, things will start moving. All I could do in the meantime was keep looking out for new talent to join the club to increase my current number of only six players for our project to get Leamington's name out there across the globe.

My faith was soon rewarded as Hamilton came in with an offer of 60,000 for Rob Ogleby and they agreed when I negotiated them to 100,000. Assuming it goes through of course, it'll help to clear another chunk of our debt! That, along with a payment of 100,000 for National League TV rights may just help us clear the debt completely if we're able to move the other players along too.

Then came an offer from Maidstone for Craig Owens and to my delight, they went for a 50,000 negotiated fee. I could well have tried to get more but opted to keep it simple just to keep moving the players off the books. Stourbridge also offered 6,000 for Junior English and they accepted when I asked for 10,000.

It was around this time last year where we were hit by those sudden retirements. I have fingers crossed that there won't be a repeat of it but you never know. We do only have six players over the age of thirty with Junior English being 33. Tony Breeden, Ricky Johnson, James McPike are 31 and both Joe Magunda and Craig Owen are 30.

67 year old Luke Cook has retired though, which wasn't too much of a surprise. He arrived from Pwllheli as a physiotherapist and he was swiftly replaced by 42 year old Josh Wood.

My final act of the month was to organise five friendlies, all at home to raise money through gate receipts, in readiness for the players to return for pre-season. They will report back on the 1st July and we'll play our first friendly against Curzon Ashton and will then have a match every weekend against Harrow Borough, Aldershot, Al Nafat and Yeovil.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Redknapp69 is offline Soccer Manager - Division 1 Title/Cup
    Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Think you've asked that before, I never sub a player on their performance. How humiliating it would be to be subbed during a game. Poor man-management!

Agree, very concerned with that average for Chato. I'll try and give him a proper run of games in one position next season rather than shuffling him around all over the place. Francis should be a leader but can be capable of a few howlers. Guess that's why he is at Leamington!

Guererro is awesome! Ledsham had the chance to become a legend but his time is up, I want to try and cash in on him.

My bad re: Ogleby. It's now fixed so you can check his stats out! It was McPike's stats from last year I'd left in by mistake.

Scouts have worked non-stop since I appointed them, no holiday last year! Built up a big shortlist now so they get to recharge their batteries and come back with the rest in mid-June!

Yeah, no 25% fees on players over 21.

Gutted on Khan, really thought we'd be able to bring him back then FC United of wankers came in with a cash offer and I couldn't compete Was waiting for him to be released then hoped to snap him up.

Kloppo did it IRL after 20 mins with Lovren v Spurs last season - since that game he's been very good for rest of season and WC!

Didb't realise Chato was played everywhere so yeah doesn't help the fella!

Not sure what Ogleby needs to do to prove himself based on the goals to starting stats

Why don't you try and get 25% on deals?

Yeah - FC United seem to be holier than thou which gets my goat. Let's hope Khan gets unhappy ther soon or you can loan him

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Al Nafat in a friendly

Good to see Yeovil agreeing - maybe after playing them in cup - did you chance your arm for any friendies with "bigger" clubs?

grim on the signings front

Good cashj for Ogleby given he doesn't want a new deal and expiring - JOKE that you never made him your first choice striker though

Good to see the club back to not far off break even - hope the club continue to inject where becessary or support as you are trying to help them financially as well

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Kloppo did it IRL after 20 mins with Lovren v Spurs last season - since that game he's been very good for rest of season and WC!

Didb't realise Chato was played everywhere so yeah doesn't help the fella!

Not sure what Ogleby needs to do to prove himself based on the goals to starting stats

Why don't you try and get 25% on deals?

Yeah - FC United seem to be holier than thou which gets my goat. Let's hope Khan gets unhappy ther soon or you can loan him
    Al Nafat in a friendly

Good to see Yeovil agreeing - maybe after playing them in cup - did you chance your arm for any friendies with "bigger" clubs?

grim on the signings front

Good cashj for Ogleby given he doesn't want a new deal and expiring - JOKE that you never made him your first choice striker though

Good to see the club back to not far off break even - hope the club continue to inject where becessary or support as you are trying to help them financially as well
    Don't always get 25% when asking for it, I prefer to try and negotiate more cash. You won't get much more value for some of these ageing pro's anyway once they move on. I do make a point of including it for younger players who could have the potential to go on to bigger and better things.

Al Nafat a bit random, isn't it? I pick my friendlies based on who I have on my shortlist so there's an Iraq player in their squad that we've got eyes on! It also helps with clearing duds from shortlist if scouts don't rate them any longer.

I think I did try Middlesbrough and Crewe but both weren't interested.

Ogleby wasn't as good as you're making out mate, get over it

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 3 - July
    Nations = 6
    England, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Wales

Monday 1st July was a big day for Leamington. It confirmed the departure of a number of players whilst we also welcomed our own players back for pre-season and got them back on the training pitch ahead of our five game run of friendlies. We also expected new faces though I wasn't sure which would actually go through due to work permit problems.

First off, we waved goodbye to Neil Collett who completes his 70,000 switch to Waterford after only 9 starts for Leamington in two years. He is soon joined by Rob Ogleby who moves to Scotland for 100,000 after just 9 goals in 41 appearances. Moving to a lower level is Junior English with Stourbridge purchasing his services for 10,000 after a run of 12 goals in 40 games in two years. Craig Owens also moves on with our thanks after serving two years with 51 appearances, many of them out of position, with a return of 5 goals. The departures of the quartet has raised 230,000 which has actually brought us out of debt at long last though perhaps not for long with 30,658 in the bank.

We've brought in four players as the window opened which should have been ten after six players failed to get a work permit so we would no longer follow our interest up in them. The six players had been Ramazan Kurtuldu (19 year old Turkish centre back), Dong-Min Ahn (19 year old South Korean right back), Victor Flores (19 year old Mexican striker), Abdullah Al Yazidi (19 year old Qatari striker), Aaron Elrich (17 year old Australian centre back) and Ricardo Suarez (18 year old Bolivian striker).

The four that did go through have added strength to our defence and midfield. Gavin Gunning, our first Irish signing, looks to be a snip for this level after leaving Forest Green and he is joined by Jordon Forster, our first Scottish signing! Forster comes from Cheltenham and can compete at right-back or in the middle.

Francois Zoko was one of the players I had tried to sign last year and I finally got my man after he was released by Yeovil, making the forward our first Ivorian! Sadly, he is now 35 years of age but will provide us with an option in attacking midfield where Jamie Byrne has often struggled to make an impact. Also arriving is 18 year old Jozef Kovac, a natural right winger which should cover for Ian Morris when he departs. I actually had a choice between two Slovakian players as a striker had been recommended too but given that I wasn't sure if Rob Ogleby's deal would go through, I played it safe and added Kovac instead.

The quartet were also joined by our latest academy promotion as Anthony Holland comes through to add competition to centre midfield where we already have four players! It's also the third time we've had a centre midfielder through after Phil Butcher and Luke Wells graduated last year. Typically, he joins those lads in being transfer listed after failing to commit to a permanent deal! It doesn't take long for a new club to go for him, with Stalybridge agreeing to sign him for 18,000 in compensation in twelve months time.

Kasey Keller reports that Karl Ledsham once again reports to training late and looking unfit. I'm furious with him and issue another official warning. We've yet to receive a bid for Ledsham who I hope to move on as it will allow me to buy a new Englishman. As we'll need a third goalkeeper following Collett's departure, the idea is to bring in a goalkeeper as we're struggling find a 'keeper of a differing nationality. Ledsham is then handed a one week fine for showing up late again three days later!

Friendly

Our first friendly of the season creeps upon us with my choosing to give those who didn't get a lot of action last season a run out to begin with. The likes of Chris Kiely, Richard Laws, Craig Owen, Dan Quigley, James McPike and Warren Smith start with Francois Zoko also included after Ledsham's dickheadiness. Zoko plays with the number 10 shirt and the new defenders Forster (13) and Gunning (4) are also included on the bench. What follows is a bit of a shambles as Curzon Ashton score twice in the first eight minutes before a McPike double ties the game. That's as good as it gets for us as the defence really don't show me why they should be regulars with Kiely having the worse game I've ever seen to concede another 3!

Leamington 2:5 Curzon Ashton
    Kiely 3, Chato 5, Gudger 7, Francis 5, Randles 6, Laws 8, Owen 7, Quigley 6, McPike 9, Zoko 7, Smith 8.
    Goals - McPike x2.
    Assists - Smith.

A huge boost of 75,000 comes our way when Rochdale shell out to hire Neil Edwards as a scout. I'd snapped him up as a coach this time last year and though I tried to keep him, I'm not complaining as the fee increases our balance to 93,074 though I cannot spend a penny yet. He is swiftly replaced by Niall O'Brien.

Another departure follows as Craig Owen follows his namesake Craig Owens out of the door. Out of contract at the end of the upcoming season, I agree to let him join Tucson in the USA for 20,000. Perhaps I could have got more but I didn't want to waste time with his contract running down now. Like Owens, he did a job for us with 47 appearances, often being deployed on the left too in that first year.

Friendly

Changes all round with only Paterson Chato remaining in the team after that awful start to pre-season, he lines up at left-back with both Gavin Gunning and Jordon Forster wearing the shirt for the first time in the middle. Jozef Kovac and Anthony Holland make it to the bench and are handed the number 7 and 19 shirts respectively while Karl Ledsham is nowhere near the squad. I expect an improvement and I get it as we storm to a 3:0 half-time lead. Ricky Johnson scoring twice and he gets a third in the second half with Josh Hawker and Kevin Sundstrom both impressing.

Leamington 4:0 Harrow Borough
    Breeden 7, Magunda 7, Chato 8, Gunning 8, Forster 7, Sousa Silva 7, Morris 7, Hawker 10, Johnson 10, Sundstrom 9, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Sundstrom, Johnson x3.
    Assists - Hawker x2.
    MotM - Johnson.

The departure of Phil Butcher is confirmed after the move to Lincoln for 20,000 that was arranged last year went through without a hitch. I do find it frustrating that we weren't able to tie him down to a new deal when he came through the academy as I would ordinarily try to include a 25% sell on clause in the deal but it's not to be. I won't be searching for a replacement as we still have Anthony Holland, Josh Hawker, Luke Wells and Dan Quigley on the books.

Friendly

Aldershot were surprisingly relegated to the National League North last season so this should be a tough friendly for us. Joan Guerrero, Jozef Kovac, Anthony Holland and one Karl Ledsham come in for the first pre-season outing with the likes of Chris Kiely also starting to make up for the poor Curzon Ashton performance. Joe Magunda is the only man to stay in the side but moved to centre-half as we fall to a 1:0 defeat but did play well.

Leamington 0:1 Aldershot
    Kiely 7, Randles 8, Gudger 7, Francis 6, Magunda 7, Guerrero 8, Kovac 7, Holland 7, McPike 7, Ledsham 7, Smith 6.
    Goals - Chato x2.
    Assists - Johnson, Morris.
    MotM - Chato.

Leyton Orient reject a loan bid from us for Northern Irish centre-back Jamie Sendles-White and in the same day, the signing of 17 year old free agent Vladimir Seslija, a Bosnian attacking midfielder, falls through when he is unable to obtain a work permit. Surprisingly, York cannot afford to buy Ian Morris which gives us an opportunity to sign him permanently yet he will not discuss terms and is placed back on the transfer list. He is not short of suitors as five teams come in for him but he once again chooses to join York who cannot afford him!

Friendly

A different challenge for us as Iraq side Al Nafat come to the club to play a team that includes Luke Wells, the last player yet to feature this pre-season. Karl Ledsham lines up on the left wing with Paterson Chato at left-back where he impressed last time out. I'm curious to learn if that is indeed his best position and he helps to confirm that with the opening goal, though from the penalty shot. He converts another penalty in the second half to confirm a win.

Leamington 2:0 Al Nafat
    Breeden 8, Forster 7, Chato 9, Gunning 7, Francis 8, Laws 7, Morris 7, Wells 7, Johnson 8, Zoko 7, Ledsham 7.

Wells was the third youth player supposedly on his way out this Summer and his move does go through with Solihull paying 16,000 in compensation. After his 8 goals from midfield last season, he definitely walks through the door with regret for me. Again, no replacement will be necessary as I now have a midfield three of Anthony Holland, Josh Hawker and Dan Quigley to choose from.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    • Good point about 25% for the old guys – forgot about that
    • Ogleby was better than any of the strikers you have – anyway – his ship has sailed
    • Where do his 41 apps come from?! (same Q for the other released players)
    • Gunning looks a BELTER – I’ve heard of him/seen him in CM before – GREAT SIGNING for area most needed!
    • Foster good as well – the quality is improving!
    • Not fussed by next 2 and at least you get a development fee for the kid
    • Ledsham is a fecking bad egg – any of the squad pissed with him yet?
    • Mixed friendly results but decent in the main
    • Great club crest for Harrow!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I've played against Foster and Gunning IRL, both decent standard for that level. Foster far quicker than Gunning too, stats don't back that up on the game though!
    They should both be good for you. Not sure about the other signings, but important to have numbers.

It's a shame Redders won't be following the story anymore, after Ogleby gets his move to Hamilton he will now be at New Douglas Park every week following the Accies.

edit...and yes, get Ledsham the fuck out of the club, he is dragging everyone down with him. Fine him every time he fucks up and accept any bid, he is bad for morale.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good point about 25% for the old guys forgot about that
    Ogleby was better than any of the strikers you have anyway his ship has sailed
    Where do his 41 apps come from?! (same Q for the other released players)
    Gunning looks a BELTER Ive heard of him/seen him in CM before GREAT SIGNING for area most needed!
    Foster good as well the quality is improving!
    Not fussed by next 2 and at least you get a development fee for the kid
    Ledsham is a fecking bad egg any of the squad pissed with him yet?
    Mixed friendly results but decent in the main
    Great club crest for Harrow!
    They'll have double figures for substitute appearances so they don't fit in the column sometimes.

Nobody annoyed with Ledsham just yet. Only me!

Quote Originally Posted by dweatherston11 View Post
    I've played against Foster and Gunning IRL, both decent standard for that level. Foster far quicker than Gunning too, stats don't back that up on the game though!
    They should both be good for you. Not sure about the other signings, but important to have numbers.

It's a shame Redders won't be following the story anymore, after Ogleby gets his move to Hamilton he will now be at New Douglas Park every week following the Accies.

edit...and yes, get Ledsham the fuck out of the club, he is dragging everyone down with him. Fine him every time he fucks up and accept any bid, he is bad for morale.
    Really? Interesting stuff, where did you play against them?

Yeah maybe I should follow Ogleby's progress for Redders

I know, trouble is that we're not even getting an offer at the moment. Very frustrating as his transfer value of 100k is just what we need to start looking financially stable.

Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    There is the balance though that if you fine the shit out of Ledsham every time (2 weeks wages) then other squad may think you are picking on him

If you warn him continously or maybe 1 week wages it may not mess with squad morale - but you do need to rule with an iron fist!

vCash
    Played against both while I was with Falkirk. Gunning was pish, at Dundee United, foster at Hibs.

They will do well. Foster lots of injuries irl so hope his injury proneness isn't high in game!

vCash
    There is the balance though that if you fine the shit out of Ledsham every time (2 weeks wages) then other squad may think you are picking on him

If you warn him continously or maybe 1 week wages it may not mess with squad morale - but you do need to rule with an iron fist!
    True. Ideally I'll get an offer and get rid before the poison spreads!

Played against both while I was with Falkirk. Gunning was pish, at Dundee United, foster at Hibs.

They will do well. Foster lots of injuries irl so hope his injury proneness isn't high in game!
    Sound, fair play! Hope Forster isn't injury prone indeed. Have high hopes for both at this level!

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 3 - August
    Nations = 10
    England, Germany, Ivory Coast, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Wales

The final month of the transfer window and I haven't been able to move Karl Ledsham on yet in order to bring in that third goalkeeping option as my Englishman. Loan offers are being sent out for other players of differing nationalities but we're not getting anywhere with them. As it stands, I would still like to add five new defenders, two attacking midfielders and a striker to the squad as well as the goalkeeper but the most important thing is that we do have at least two players per position within the squad for the very first time, especially in defence where Gavin Gunning has really impressed me.

Friendly

The final friendly of a mixed pre-season comes against our strongest opposition yet, Yeovil of League One. I had another chance to impress to Chris Kiely and Dan Quigley and further run outs for the rest of the team. Kevin Sundstrom knows he doesn't need to do much to impress me anyway but he bags a goal after just three minutes. Yeovil do pull one back but I'm more than impressed with our performance against a decent team as we win 2:1 thanks to an own goal whilst having another goal disallowed!

Leamington 2:1 Yeovil
    Kiely 8, Randles 7, Gudger 8, Gunning 7, Forster 8, Sousa Silva 7, Kovac 7, Quigley 7, McPike 7, Sundstrom 8, Byrne.
    Goals - Sundstrom, Raggett own goal.
    Assists - Sousa Silva.
    MotM - Sundstrom.

Once again, Ian Morris agrees to move to a team who cannot actually afford his compensation fee as Stevenage and Sweden this time pull out after York did likewise twice last month. His fee is only 18,000! One man who does depart the club though is Josh Hawker who moves on for 50,000 after Curzon Ashton initially offered 28,000 for the centre midfielder who has 10 months left on his deal. He had shone during pre-season with two assists in his only start but his official appearances haven't been great themselves. Moving Hawker on also frees up a spot in centre midfield for someone new to come in.

Meanwhile, my third choice striker spot is filled when 18 year old Ryan Powell comes through from the academy. Though rather raw, he solves a dilemma for me should Ricky Johnson or James McPike get injured. I had strikers on my shortlist but none that I was able to sign due to having players of that nationality already at the club. Powell also bucks a recent trend in actually being willing to sign a new permanent deal and does so to stay with us for four years.

National League

I feel fairly confident as we prepare for the season to officially kick off. There are six of my own players lining up to play Ebbsfleet with Francois Zoko named as the captain. I'm especially keen to see how Paterson Chato gets on at left back. Ricky Johnson gets his tally off to a good start and we look as though we'd secure a 1:0 win when Ebbsfleet equalise rather disappointingly late on.

Ebbsfleet Utd 1:1 Leamington
    Breeden 8, Forster 6 (Magunda 6), Chato 6, Gudger 6, Gunning 7, Guerrero 7, Sundstrom 8, Holland 7, Johnson 8, Zoko 7 (Kovac 6), Byrne 7 (Ledsham 6).
    Goals - Johnson.
    Assists - Sundstrom.

National League

I had hoped we'd look a lot stronger at the back this season but that's certainly not the case as an unchanged side concede early on before Chato is sent off for a push in the area which allows Solihull to make it 2:0. We struggle with 10 men and end up losing 4:0!

Leamington 0:4 Solihull
    Breeden 7, Forster 7, Gudger 6, Gunning 6, Guerrero 7, Sundstrom 7, Holland 7, Johnson 6 (McPike 6), Zoko 6 (Randles 6), Byrne 6 (Smith 7).

Paterson Chato accepts an official warning for his first red card of the season but we receive some fantastic news when Kevin Sundstrom is rewarded for his hard work in the eight months that he has been with us with a call up to the Swedish Under 21 squad!

National League

We've obviously not made the desired start to the season after a draw and a defeat in our first two games. With Chato suspended, Connor Gudger was moved to left-back with Liam Randles introduced to the team. Francois Zoko was also dropped to the bench with Warren Smith brought in as Kevin Sundstrom moved to play behind the striker. The Swede himself celebrated his call-up with his first goal of the season and doubled our lead too! James McPike then comes off the bench to score a third to wrap up our first win! The game was also the 72nd league appearance for Gudger which is a club record.

York 0:3 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Randles 7, Gudger 7, Gunning 7, Forster 8, Guerrero 8, Smith 7 (Morris 6), Holland 8, Johnson 7 (McPike 7), Sundstrom 9, Byrne 7 (Zoko 7).
    Goals - Sundstrom x2, McPike.
    Assists - Holland, Johnson.
    MotM - Sundstrom.

15 year old Jak Marsh comes through the academy as yet another centre midfielder and puts pen to paper on a 4 year deal. It's quite a timely promotion actually which gives me three options for the position once again as I hadn't managed to find a replacement after selling Hawker.

National League

We play two days after the York match and Sundstrom is the only player to be rested as Zoko starts in his place. We come from behind twice with goals from Ricky Johnson and Zoko to get a point. But there's bad news (sort of) as Ledsham gets injured just three minutes after coming on as a substitute and is ruled out for three weeks.

Leamington 2:2 Wrexham
    Breeden 6, Randles 6, Gudger 7, Gunning 7, Forster 7, Guerrero 8, Smith 7, Holland 7, Johnson 7 (Kovac 6), Zoko 8 (Ledsham 6 (McPike 6)), Byrne 7.
    Goals - Johnson, Zoko.
    Assists - Guerrero, Smith.
    MotM - Zoko.

Bad news followed when Warren Smith was then injured in training, putting him out for a month as well whilst Jozef Kovac has been given an official warning for turning up late to training too. But the good news was that after the draw to Wrexham, we'd set a record attendance when 1,819 showed up for the game! Meanwhile, Ian Morris has decided to leave the club after failing to secure a move away with all those clubs pulling out of signing him due to the compensation fee. The transfer window then shuts on the 31st August without any new faces but I'm happy with the squad at my disposal for the time being.

National League

Jak Marsh is handed the number 8 shirt as he's named on the bench whilst Jozef Kovac recovers to start his first game for us in place of the injured Smith. Both teams have a goal ruled out early on in the game but Cheltenham go on to asset their authority, leading 5:0 by half-time! Gudger then gets sent off after 55 minutes to see our day go from worse to absolutely woeful and Joe Magunda has to come on at left-back. Ironically, we then score twice with 10 men!

Leamington 2:5 Cheltenham
    Breeden 4, Randles 8, Gudger 3, Gunning 7, Forster 6, Guerrero 8 (Sousa Silva 7), Kovac 9, Holland 7, Johnson 6 (McPike 7), Zoko 6, Byrne 6 (Magunda 6).
    Goals - Kovac x2.
    Assists - Sousa Silva.

I hand Gudger an official warning for his red card which seems a bit soft, so I appeal his ban and complain to the FA about the performance of the referee. It's certainly been a slow start to the season though and I can only hope that we will build up a bit of momentum as the season goes on. As long as everyone stops getting sent off and injured!

Our best player on the park has undoubtedly been Kevin Sundstrom, scoring of two goals and creator of another. He's only started three of our five games to date though after missing the last two matches, first as he was rested and the last one due to his Sweden U21 call-up!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Poor start and some leaked goals there

I hope Chato can come good but after a few more chances he'll have to be discarded to bench etc if he cannot perform

GET THE SWEDE SIGNED UP FOR LONGER - improving att's nicely

Academy faces through but none really gonna improve first team and not ideal when no menaingful new transfers come in either

I think this season is gonna be another slog for you TBH

How are finances?

What was boards expectation?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Chato is really disappointing me at the moment. I can see myself cashing in on him at some point if he doesn't start to show some consistency.

We all love Sundstrom Hoping he becomes an absolute legend! First ever U21 player

Can't recall the finances right now nor board expectations Definitely not got cash to spend at the moment anyway. That could all change if I could get rid of bloody Ledsham!

vCash
    Ouch, a really tough start to the season.
    Bit worried about the depth in quality in the squad for sure. So many games at this level, can see you (us?) struggling in the winter as well.

Chato has never really done it, he must have low consistency, and high stupidity too.

Sundstrom, as predicted, the top man. Get him tied down and sell him for big money in a couple years to let him get on with an amazing future career.

Leaking a lot of goals, hopefully can sure things up a bit, maybe time to think about a new keeper.

However, we go again in September!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hopefully we'll build up some consistency once we've got a settled starting XI again. I have faith that we will still be able to improve on last season!

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 3 - September
    Nations = 10
    England, Germany, Ivory Coast, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Wales

Just the one win in our first five games is certainly worrying me, especially after we've conceded 12 goals in those 5 games which is a huge disappointment for me given that I had believed we'd finally strengthened our defence during pre-season. However, as they say, it's a marathon, not a sprint and I have every faith that we'll be able to get some consistency as the season goes on. Meanwhile, I had a concern too over Luis Sousa Silva who doesn't seem to be settling into life in England. My defensive midfielder, who has played 10 times so far for Leamington with three assists to his name may be an option to cash in if he can attract any interest. One man who has yet to attract bids is Karl Ledsham who is currently out injured for two weeks though Shamrock Rovers appear to be monitoring him. James McPike and Dan Quigley also remain on the list too.

National League

After Connor Gudger was sent off last time out against Cheltenham, Paterson Chato comes in at left-back whilst Kevin Sundstrom also makes a return after missing two games due to fitness and under 21 duty where he unfortunately didn't play for Sweden. He comes in for Jamie Byrne as Francois Zoko moves to the left wing. However, Zoko lasts 32 minutes before becoming our third player to be sent off this season in just six games for pushing away a Tamworth player! It forces Sundstrom to play on the left wing who stays there until the 56th minute when Byrne comes on for Jozef Kovac and Sundstrom then moves to the right. A few minutes later, Tamworth are down to 10 men themselves when Sundstrom is punched in the face! We'd held on to stay at 0:0 until then, and then took advantage as Chato and Anthony Holland score to confirm a 2:0 win! Holland too, scoring his first ever professional goal in only his 6th start.

Tamworth 0:2 Leamington
    Breeden 8, Randles 6, Chato 7, Gunning 7, Forster 6, Guerrero 7, Kovac 6 (Byrne 7), Holland 6, Johnson 7 (McPike 7), Sundstrom 8, Zoko 5.
    Goals - Chato, Holland.
    Assists - Sundstrom.
    MotM - Breeden.

Obviously, I choose not to appeal Zoko's red card though the Ivorian has been issued an official warning for his first red card of the season. In truth, I'm not blown away by the 35 year old's performances so far this season in which he has only scored once.

National League

Once again, there are two changes for the team as the enforced change of Zoko's suspension sees Byrne back in at left-wing whilst Joe Magunda also comes in at right-back in place of Liam Randles. Sutton Utd prove to be tough opposition who last until the 67th minute as we finally wear them down and score through Kovac and McPike steps off the bench to double our lead! It's a third win of the season for us and all three wins have also come with our only clean sheets.

Leamington 2:0 Sutton Utd
    Breeden 7, Magunda 7 (Randles 6), Chato 7, Gunning 7, Forster 7, Guerrero 7 (Sousa Silva 7), Kovac 8, Holland 8, Johnson 7 (McPike 7), Sundstrom 7, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Kovac, McPike.
    Assists - Holland.
    MotM - Kovac.

National League

Ideally, there'd be no changes for our trip to Hartlepool but as we'd played Sutton on a Wednesday, our offensive midfield trio are looking tired on Saturday. However, we still have Ledsham and Warren Smith out injured so the only change is a recall for Zoko with Kovac the only one to get a rest with Sundstrom pushed out to right wing. After two clean sheets in a row, Hartlepool score first but the players rally superbly with Holland, Sundstrom and Ricky Johnson all scoring to put us 3:1 ahead! Hartlepool do pull one back but we hold on to win, with 15 year old Jak Marsh coming on for his professional debut in the last 12 minutes.

Hartlepool 2:4 Leamington
    Breeden 6, Magunda 6, Chato 6, Gunning 7, Forster 7, Guerrero 8 (Sousa Silva 6), Sundstrom 8, Holland 8 (Marsh 7), Johnson 8 (McPike 7), Zoko 7, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Holland, Sundstrom, Johnson.
    Assists - Holland, Guerrero.
    MotM - Holland.

National League

Thankfully, we have a week until our next game against the recently relegated Accrington which allows for our tired legs to recover as well as Ledsham to return to full training. There's a change at the back with Randles brought back in at right-back for Magunda whilst Kovac is reinstated with Zoko making way. It takes just four minutes for us to score as Johnson scores a header from a great cross from Kovac. The visitors turn it around in the ten minutes before half-time though to score twice. Gavin Gunning scores his first goal to help us equalise but Accrington score in the 90th minute to look as though they'd win. But Sundstrom had other ideas as he tried his luck from a first time shot by a Chato cross in literally the last kick of the game!

Leamington 3:3 Accrington
    Breeden 7, Randles 6, Chato 7, Gunning 7, Forster 8, Guerrero 7 (Sousa Silva 7), Kovac 8, Holland 7 (Marsh 7), Johnson 8 (McPike 7), Sundstrom 7, Byrne 6.
    Goals - Johnson, Gunning, Sundstrom.
    Assists - Kovac, Forster, Chato.
    MotM - Kovac.

News filter through that we'd set a club record attendance of 1,849 in the game, a third time we've set the record this season. We're not too far from selling out our 2,050 capacity New Windmill Ground. Kevin Sundstrom meanwhile, has been called up to the Sweden U21's again after keeping up his fine work this month.

National League

Our final trip of the month is to Maidenhead who have picked up the same amount of points as ourselves so far this season. Randles didn't take his chance at right-back last time out so Magunda comes back in once more whilst the return of Smith from injury sees him in at left wing in place of Byrne. We've had a fine run of five games unbeaten this month, and have lost just once in our last seven games. But at Maidenhead, we fall behind twice in yet another goal fest of a game. Kovac and Johnson help us to pull level after those two first goals before Joan Guerrero and Holland make it 4:2! Maidenhead pull one back themselves in the 76th minute but we hold on for victory!

Maidenhead 3:4 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Magunda 7, Chato 7, Gunning 7, Forster 6, Guerrero 8, Kovac 8, Holland 7, Johnson 7 (McPike 7), Sundstrom 6, Smith 7.
    Goals - Kovac, Johnson, Guerrero, Holland.
    Assists - Smith x2, Chato.

How things change! We have flown from being 5th from the bottom of the table to 4th after an undefeated September meaning we've now lost just once in eight games. We're still shipping a few goals but I don't think the supporters will have too many complaints with the entertainment that is being served up at the moment!

There have been some excellent performances this month, with Sundstrom looking good (last game excepted), Johnson reaching five goals for the season and both Holland and Guerrero opening their accounts for the season too. However, Slovakian Jozef Kovac has been outstanding with two goals, an assist and two man of the match awards in four starts.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Brilliant month for the Spa's. Kovac having a great run of games, he can certainly be a good creater for you.

Sundstrom again with a strong month, he really is making the difference regularly. His continued improvement could well take you towards promotion spots.

Defensively still a bit of a worry, but good that Forster and Gunning are regularly in partnership.

Exciting times ahead, confidence must be flowing through the team!

edit: How's Rob Ogleby getting on?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Brilliant month for the Spa's. Kovac having a great run of games, he can certainly be a good creater for you.

Sundstrom again with a strong month, he really is making the difference regularly. His continued improvement could well take you towards promotion spots.

Defensively still a bit of a worry, but good that Forster and Gunning are regularly in partnership.

Exciting times ahead, confidence must be flowing through the team!

edit: How's Rob Ogleby getting on?
    Yeah, I can see Kovac chalking up good numbers behind Sundstrom this season. Hopefully both can stay injury free!

Defensively still not great, agreed. At least we're getting goals though!

One Rob Ogleby has zero goals so far for Hamilton, but has only started once. Fellow striker Steven Boyd has 5 in 9!

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 3 - October
    Nations = 10

Financially, last month wasn't a great one after we lost 95,722. 121,976 went on wages alone and we pulled in just 33,038 from gate receipts. However, it is worth noting that we played just two home games in a five game month but we will play three times at home this month. We also have an FA Cup Qualifying Round against Salford and after losing 4:1 to Kidderminster last season, I've definitely got my eye on progressing this year to bring in some additional cash. We still had 45,560 in the bank but I was still wary of the fact that I had never been able to spend a penny on a player in my time at Leamington so far.

National League

What has happened to Walsall?! They've recorded back to back relegations to find themselves in the National League and travelling to Leamington in 7th place, 3 points behind us. Our team has one change in it after Kevin Sundstrom jets off to join in with the Sweden under 21's, meaning a surprise start for Karl Ledsham who remains on the transfer list. It's a first start of the season for my chosen English representative and a chance for him to make amends but he finds it difficult to do so when we concede in the 3rd minute and then give away a penalty in the 34th. After five games unbeaten, our run comes to an end with Walsall scoring a third in the second half. With five players also being booked, the only brightside is another record attendance, 1,898 turning up to see us get thrashed.

Leamington 0:3 Walsall
    Breeden 6, Magunda 6 (Randles 7), Chato 5, Gunning 6, Forster 6, Guerrero 8, Kovac 6, Holland 7 (Marsh 7), Johnson 6 (McPike 7), Ledsham 6, Smith 6.

National League

Sundstrom returns without being capped for the Swedish under 21's which is a shame but at least he's fit to make an immediate return in place of Ledsham who comes out of the squad altogether. Liam Randles also returns at right-back with Joe Magunda dropped to the bench. It's another nightmare start for us though, conceding after 5 minutes. The swagger we had last month just isn't there in a poor first half but we do come out looking much better in the second, grabbing an equaliser through Paterson Chato. The game also marks a 75th league appearance for Tony Breeden, a new record for the club after overtaking Liam Francis who has yet to feature this season.

Forest Green 1:1 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Randles 7, Chato 7, Gunning 6, Forster 6, Guerrero 7, Kovac 7, Holland 6, Johnson 6 (McPike 6), Sundstrom 8, Smith 6.
    Goals - Chato.
    Assists - Kovac.

National League

The build up to our next game is dominated by headlines about Ledsham after he is fined two weeks wages for lacking fitness and turning up late to training for a third time this season. His attitude fortunately isn't disrupting the squad but I am certainly desperate to move him on. The visit of Maidstone comes three days after facing Forest Green and I wanted to rest the midfield quartet of Jozef Kovac, Anthony Holland, Warren Smith and Sundstrom which ironically would have meant a start for Ledsham were it not for his shenanigans. Instead, Sundstrom stays in the side with Jamie Byrne, Francois Zoko and Jak Marsh starting, the 15 year old making his first start! Once more, there's an early goal conceded with Maidstone scoring after 7 minutes but young Marsh gets his first ever goal after half an hour. The visitors get their lead back in the second half and we're indebted to Luis Sousa Silva to coming off the bench to pull us level once more only to then concede a 90th minute winner. Our attendance record is again broken, 1,972 going home disappointed.

Leamington 2:3 Maidstone
    Breeden 6, Randles 6, Chato 6, Gunning 6, Forster 6, Guerrero 8 (Sousa Silva 8), Sundstrom 8, Mstah 7 (Quigley 7), Johnson 6 (McPike 7), Zoko 7, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Marsh, Sousa Silva.
    Assists - Byrne, Sundstrom.

FA Cup Qualifying Round

It's time for the FA Cup Qualifying Round and after the midweek defeat, I'm forced to leave out Sundstrom, Zoko and Byrne. Magunda and Holland also take over from Randles and Marsh as Smith, Kovac and Ledsham all start. It's not ideal to start the latter but such are our numbers in the squad unfortunately. Salford give us an early warning with a disallowed goal which we fail to heed as they score to lead 1:0 by the break. For the second season in a row, we go home knocked out despite an improvement in our play and matching Salford statistically.

Salford 1:0 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Magunda 6, Chato 5, Gunning 6, Forster 6, Guerrero 7 (Sousa Silva 6), Kovac 5, Holland 7, Johnson 6 (McPike 7), Ledsham 6, Sith 6 (Byrne 7).

National League

After a poor run of games, there's a bit of a shake up in the team with Sundstrom recalled after recovering but first starts of the season handed to Francis and James McPike. Gunning and Jordon Forster have been dropped with Randles starting too, whilst Byrne and Zoko line up in midfield. There's also a first sighting of 18 year old striker Ryan Powell on the bench, who is given the number 9 shirt as Ricky Johnson is dropped from the squad. The result sees us take a lead at long last with Holland opening the scoring, McPike doubling it and Zoko making it 3 by half-time! Sundstrom then wraps things up with another goal in the second half, his 5th of the season which is a career best for our Swede, who managed 4 goals in 15 appearances last year. With such a lead, we give Powell a run out for the first time in the last 30 minutes too.

Leamington 4:0 Fylde
    Breeden 8, Magunda 6, Chato 7, Francis 7, Randles 6, Guerrero 9, Sundstrom 8, Holland 8 (Marsh 6), McPike 8 (Powell 7), Zoko 9, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Holland, McPike, Zoko, Sundstrom.
    Assists - Zoko, Guerrero x2.
    MotM - Zoko.

National League

Oddly, we now play Eastleigh on Friday night, having played Fylde on Wednesday night! So it'll be no surprise to learn that we have 7 players rested with Connor Gudger, Gunning, Sousa Silva, Marsh, Smith, Ledsham and Kovac coming in. Naturally, I was worried about the number of changes but Sousa Silva gave us an early lead again with Eastleigh hitting back, before Marsh struck twice to give us a two goal advantage by half-time. Eastleigh got a second goal but then our teenage striker Powell came on to score his first professional goal!

Eastleigh 2:4 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Randles 8, Gudger 6, Francis 6, Gunning 6 (Forster 6), Sousa Silva 7, Kovac 7, Marsh 9 (Quigley 6), McPike 6 (Powell 8), Ledsham 8, Smith 6.
    Goals - Sousa Silva, Marsh x2, Powell.
    Assists - Marsh, Ledsham x2.
    MotM - Marsh.

Playing under the cameras had been a pain for our schedule but financially, it's given the club a huge boost! I'm astonished to learn that we've banked 455,000 which has suddenly given me some cash to spend for the first time ever!

After failing to win the first three games of the month (as well as getting knocked out of the FA Cup), we seemed to lose confidence and dropped to 11th in the table. But the last two wins have seen us fight our way back up to 5th place and leave us only 5 points from the top.

Quite a few players have dropped in form this month, including the likes of Kovac and Johnson. But one man who has remained consistent has gone on to win the Young Player of the Month award after a fine month and that is Joan Guerrero. Our Spaniard is performing even better than last season but is rumoured to be unsettled in the UK, just like fellow defensive midfielder Luis Sousa Silva.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Money, money, money!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Certainly not complaining but I'm just not sure if it's perhaps a mistake in the patch to give out so much cash at this level for TV revenue?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Certainly not complaining but I'm just not sure if it's perhaps a mistake in the patch to give out so much cash at this level for TV revenue?
    I know in Scotland a club used to make 80k-ish when the game was on tv, so given the money England hands around it wouldn't surprise me!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 3 - November
    Nations = 10

I put the phone down and sat back in my chair in shock. I couldn't believe it. I'd just been told that I had 350,000 in the bank to spend on players after the club had earned 455,000 for the games against Fylde and Eastleigh that had made it to live television.

After a while, I wondered if it meant that our mission to spread the name of Leamington globally was finally starting to pay off. Was that why we'd picked up so much cash? Because our last two games which we'd won had reached audiences in Germany, Ivory Coast, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden as well as the UK and Ireland?

Hopefully the cash will still be there come January if I found some new additions for the squad. I certainly had a few on my shortlist, work permit pending, so it'd be a case of trying to get deals over the line in the next couple of months now as well as focusing on our ambition to better last year's 10th place finish.

National League

We begin November with the visit of 9th placed Darlington who are only three points behind us. After resting a number of players last time out due to playing twice in three days, I recalled Joe Magunda, Paterson Chato, Joan Guerrero, Kevin Sundstrom, Francois Zoko, Jamie Byrne and handed a shock first ever start to 18 year old striker Ryan Powell after he'd scored from the bench against Eastleigh. It was fellow teenager Jak Marsh though who took the plaudits with a brace in the first 14 minutes before Powell himself made it 3:0 after 23 minutes. Darlington were blown away in a great performance but they did score in the 87th minute before Sundstrom made it 4:1.

Leamington 4:1 Darlington
    Breeden 7, Randles 7, Chato 8, Francis 7, Magunda 7, Guerrero 8, Guerrero 8 (Sousa Silva 7), Sundstrom 8, Marsh 9 (Holland 6), Powell 10, Zoko 7, Byrne 7.
    Goals - Marsh x2, Powell, Sundstrom.
    Assists - Powell, Marsh, Chato.
    MotM - Powell.

National League

After such a fine performance, there were to be no changes as we headed to Gateshead though James McPike had sprained an ankle in training which saw Ricky Johnson added to the bench in his place. We were now only two points from the top whilst Gateshead were five points behind us in 9th place. Could we pick up another key win? We were slow out of the blocks though, with Gateshead taking a deserved lead through an unfortunate Liam Francis own goal. The old inconsistency issue cropped up again as Gateshead found the net once more to defeat us.

Gateshead 2:0 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Randles 8 (Forster 6), Chato 5, Francis 6, Magunda 6, Guerrero 7 (Sousa Silva 6), Sundstrom 7, Marsh 7, Powell 6 (Johnson 7), Zoko 6, Byrne 7.

National League

Fresh legs were in order with the attacking midfield three running out of gas at Gateshead. They were replaced by Jozef Kovac, Karl Ledsham and Warren Smith in the only changes for the trip to Barrow who remain two points ahead of us in 2nd place but with a game in hand. We looked much better from the off this time with the game even at 0:0 at half-time. But Barrow went back out in the second half and we crumbled, losing 3:0!

Barrow 3:0 Leamington
    Breeden 6, Randles 6, Chato 5, Francis 7, Magunda 5, Guerrero 6, Kovac 6, Marsh 6, Powell 6, Ledsham 6, Smith 6.

National League

Some were rested and some were dropped as six changes were made for our next match as we looked to end a run of two games without a point nor a goal. Failing to score is not usually a problem for us and thankfully that came to an end as Sundstrom opened the scoring after 19 minutes. The 62nd minute was a crucial moment in the game though as Byrne scored a rare goal for us, only for it to be disallowed for backing into a defender and fouling him. He was furious with the decision and talked himself into a straight red card which left us a man down for the last 28 minutes. We hung on for a big win though. 17 year old Richard Laws also came off the bench for his first appearance this season having previously appeared 22 times in the last two years. I appealed the red card for Byrne but gave him an official warning, feeling that a yellow would have sufficed but the appeal was thrown out.

Leamington 1:0 Leyton Orient
    Breeden 7, Randles 7, Chato 7, Francis 6, Forster 7, Sousa Silva 7 (Laws 6), Sundstrom 8, Holland 7, Powell 7, Zoko 6, Byrne 5.
    Goals - Sundstrom.
    Assists - Chato.
    MotM - Sundstrom.

FA Trophy Second Round

Guerrero, Marsh and Ledsham were brought back into the fold to face Eastleigh again but this time in the FA Trophy where Powell ended a run of three games without a goal to hand us an early lead and once again, we saw the rest of the game out to record a 1:0 win with another rare clean sheet! More importantly for me, it meant we'd finally broken our curse in the last 18 months of going out of competitions at the first hurdle, something that hadn't been a problem in my first year at the club when we'd made it to the FA Cup Second Round! Certainly as long as we are in the National League, I have got my eyes on picking up the FA Trophy at this level. The supporters perhaps didn't think so though after only 149 had shown up for the game, a record low!

Leamington 1:0 Eastleigh
    Breeden 8, Randles 7 (Gunning 5), Chato 6, Francis 6, Forster 6, Guerrero 8 (Laws 6), Sundstrom 7, Marsh 7 (Holland 6), Powell 8, Zoko 7, Ledsham 7.
    Goals - Powell.
    Assists - Guerrero.

National League

Our last game of the month saw us welcome Telford United who are down in 17th. I've learnt a long time ago that league positions mean nothing as I make one change to the team, Byrne back in from suspension for Ledsham on the left wing. He made up for that with his first goal of the season after 8 minutes which is only his third in 55 appearances with a record of just one goal in each season now. Unfortunately, Telford equalise just before the break before Sundstrom hits the crossbar but gets injured in the 54th minutes. With no natural winger on the bench, I ask Johnson to play out of position which is a task I've not had to ask a player to do for quite some time! Johnson does well but it's fellow substitutes Laws and Holland who get us an injury time winner as the former sets up the latter! The bad news for us is that Sundstrom had twisted his ankle and will be out for 2 weeks whilst Jordon Forster's booking was a 5th of the season which will see him banned for a game too.

Leamington 2:1 Telford Utd
    Breeden 7, Randles 7, Chato 8, Francis 7, Forster 7, Guerrero 8 (Laws 8), Sundstrom 7 (Johnson ), Marsh 7 (Holland 7), Powell 7, Zoko 7, Byrne 8.
    Goals - Byrne, Holland.
    Assists - Chato, Laws.
    MotM - Guerrero.

We may have lost to Gateshead and Barrow but I'm absolutely delighted to be named Manager of the Month after we won our other three games this month to climb up to third place. It's only the third time I've ever won such an award and the second time I've won one at this level, having won it the first time in May last season. We're in a great position at the moment but there are obviously a lot of teams around us with a game in hand and FC United have two!

Sundstrom, Marsh and even Tony Breeden have had a solid month but the best player has once again been Joan Guerrero. I am concerned that he is still not adjusting to life in England (neither is Luis Sousa Silva) but have already had a chat with our Spanish star asking him to keep performing until the end of the season where we will review his and Sousa Silva's situation. It may be that we will have to move them on if they cannot settle which will be a shame but I can imagine that it'll be a scenario that we may well encounter a few times during this project!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I know in Scotland a club used to make 80k-ish when the game was on tv, so given the money England hands around it wouldn't surprise me!
    I've realised we were on TV twice so maybe that explains it? Still seems like a lot though!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast