Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 3 - December
    Nations = 10
    England, Germany, Ivory Coast, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Wales

Could we actually do it? After 20 games, we find ourselves in 3rd place and two points from 1st. We're the third top scorers in the league but also have the third worst record for goals conceded so it's easy to see where our weakness lies. I still find that baffling given that I've signed Gavin Gunning and Jordon Forster in addition to my previous acquisitions of Liam Randles and Paterson Chato. Liam Francis, Joe Magunda and Connor Gudger make up the rest of my options in defence where only Randles is shining with an average rating of 6.72. Perhaps it's the goalkeeper that's letting us down, Tony Breeden playing every game so far (22) but conceding 37.

Still, I wasn't going to pull my hair out too much over it. As far as I was concerned, we're well on track to better our efforts from last year, needing only 31 points from 26 games to match last years tally of 65 points. We're also going into our last month before the transfer window opens and actually have a kitty to spend, 275,000 though I must admit that I am being frustrated in my efforts to sign players before the window opens. I do have four players lined up so far, all defenders from Argentina, Malawi, Niger and Russia so it's of course a question as to whether they'll obtain work permits to join us.

Meanwhile, we're still getting no bids for Karl Ledsham, Dan Quigley and James McPike who remain on the transfer list.

National League

The first game of a six game month takes place at Torquay where we left Kevin Sundstrom behind after picking up that twisted ankle last time out. His spot goes to Jozef Kovac whilst the suspension of Forster means Magunda coming in and there's a double surprise change as Francois Zoko and Ryan Powell lose their places to Ledsham and McPike, the latter fit again after injury. McPike himself bags twice to reach five for the season to record a 2:0 win but we lose Randles to strained knee ligaments that rules him out for two weeks.

Torquay 0:2 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Randles 8 (Gudger 6), Chato 7, Francis 8, Magunda 6, Guerrero 8, Guerrero 7, Kovac 7, Marsh 7, McPike 8 (Powell 6), Ledsham 7, Byrne 7.
    Goals - McPike x2.
    MotM - McPike.

National League

The injury to Randles paves the way for an immediate return for Forster to the team at right-back. A further change sees Anthony Holland back in centre midfield for Jak Marsh but the now 16 year old finds himself on the pitch after 9 minutes anyway as Holland goes off injured. Despite that blow, we power into a 5:1 lead by half-time thanks to a McPike hat-trick and goals from Ledsham and Kovac! Guiseley simply have no answer and we take it easy in the second half but find out that Holland is also now out for two weeks with a twisted knee. Meanwhile, a record crowd of 2,014 witness the win meaning we're just 36 fans short of a sell out!

Leamington 5:1 Guiseley
    Breeden 8, Forster 7, Chato 7, Francis 8, Magunda 7, Guerrero 7 (Laws 7), Kovac 8, Holland 6 (Marsh 7), McPike 9 (Powell 6), Ledsham 9, Byrne 8.
    Goals - McPike x3, Ledsham, Kovac.
    Assists - Ledsham, Byrne.
    MotM - McPike.

After the game, I'm shocked to receive a 130,000 bid from Aston Villa for Sundstrom! Our Swedish midfielder has a 500,000 release clause so I reject the offer and offer him a new deal only to learn that he's not interested in discussing a new deal at the moment. I sincerely hope that they and Stoke who are monitoring him, do not come back with improved offers!

National League

Our midweek scheduled game against FC United is postponed due to bad weather, meaning we don't play again until the Saturday when Ebbsfleet United come to town. The break has allowed for the starters against Guiseley to recover but we make two changes as Marsh comes in for the injured Holland whilst a fit again Sundstrom is recalled in place of Kovac. The visitors bombard us from the word go, getting a goal disallowed before scoring in the 7th. McPike equalises in the 13th as we fightback with Powell coming off the bench to put us ahead in the 61st! But the game ends in a tie with Ebbsfleet scoring an equaliser of their own only 7 minutes later. Meanwhile, Ledsham was forced off with an injury that turned out to be a calf strain that puts him out for a month. I wouldn't have been bothered at the start of the season but he's actually started performing well again recently.

Leamington 2:2 Ebbsfleet Utd
    Breeden 7, Forster 7, Chato 7, Francis 8, Magunda 6, Guerrero 8, Sundstrom 7 (Kovac 7), Marsh 7, McPike 7 (Powell 8), Ledsham 7, Byrne 7.
    Goals - McPike, Powell.
    Assists - Sundstrom.

National League

Guerrero twists a knee in training so he joins Ledsham, Holland and Sousa Silva in the treatment room for our Boxing Day clash against Solihull. It hands a first start of the season to 17 year old Richard Laws with Kovac brought in for Ledsham as Sundstrom moves inside. Randles also returns from injury to return in place of Magunda at centre-back whilst Jamie Byrne is rested as Zoko lines up at left-wing. Laws smashes in a shot off the post to give us a lead but Solihull level and go ahead by half-time. Kovac gets a goal in response and we come close to pulling off a late win when Smith hits the bar in the last minute!

Solihull 2:2 Leamington
    Breeden 6, Forster 6, Chato 8, Francis 7, Randles 6, Laws 7, Kovac 7, Marsh 6, McPike 7 (Powell 7), Sundstrom 6, Zoko 7 (Smith 7).
    Goals - Laws, Kovac.
    Assists - Chato.

National League

We're in action against York two days later and Forster joins the wounded as I make five changes with Magunda, Byrne, Quigley, Smith and Powell coming in. Laws and Sundstrom should be rested too but I have no replacement so they are asked to power through the next 90 minutes. The patched up side put in a truly professional performance, grinding out a 1:0 win thanks to Randles's 8th goal for the club since joining as my first signing.

Leamington 1:0 York
    Breeden 9, Magunda 7, Chato 8 (Gudger 6), Francis 7, Randles 8, Laws 8, Smith 7, Quigley 7 (Marsh 7), Powell 7, Sundstrom 8 (Zoko 7), Byrne 7.
    Goals - Randles.
    MotM - Breeden.

We're enjoying a seven game unbeaten run at the moment, eight if you include the FA Trophy win last month but have dropped to 4th place as teams around us have caught up with their games in hand. We had been two points from the top this time last month but now find ourselves 7 points from Walsall though they have played an extra game. I'm especially pleased to have worked on our goal difference this month, conceding five but scoring twelve goals.

For a third month running, the spotlight is shining on Guerrero once again despite missing our last two games. The Spanish maestro has been officially recognised once again as the Young Player of the Month for a second time and is definitely one of our most valuable players. Here's hoping he will settle down by the end of the season!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Leamington fan Weatherston has accused manager Mark of favouritism towards Guerrero, after 6 goals from McPike earns him nothing in the monthly awards.

Great month for Jimmy McPike, decent for a patched up team too.

Have I missed Gunning getting injured? Or has he been dropped. Told you he was shite, even I got the better of him!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I always pick out whoever has the best form to date, as that's how I tend to pick my starting XI's, so Guerrero is in top form at the moment but McPike has definitely done surprisingly well despite being a peripheral figure in my first two years. Getting on a bit now though, so not entirely sure he'll ever agree a contract extension before it runs out at the end of the season but you never know.

Gunning started really well but lost a bit of form so he's yet to force his way back into the game. I think he got a 5 after a series of 6's which paved the way for Liam Francis to come back into the fold.

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 3 - January
    Nations = 10
    England, Germany, Ivory Coast, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Wales

It's finally here, a transfer window and Leamington actually have cash to spend! As mentioned last month, we had four transfers lined up who are all defenders but not a one of them are EU citizens. Three were free transfers and one a cash based deal with a fellow English club which I was confident would go through.

As we moved into 1st January, I soon learnt that my fears were correct over the trio that I wasn't too sure of a work permit. 19 year old Argentinian Lucas Vargas, capable of playing left-back or in the middle, would not be joining us nor would 17 year old Russian centre-back Maksim Sakharov. I had hoped that Niger left-back Abdoulaye Boureima Katkore may achieve a work permit, given he'd featured 18 times for his country, but that too fell through. That left 35 capped Malawi centre-back John Lanjesi who does manage to get a work permit, joining us for 35,000 from Cheltenham in my very first signing that involves a fee!

Meanwhile, there was no news of any outgoings with James McPike, Dan Quigley and Karl Ledsham not even attracting any interest at the moment. As for any other potential incomings, we do have a shortlist of 32 pages and 344 players but just 34 of those are interested in joining us with a large number being players of nationalities that we already possess, especially England. Nevertheless, I've logged a number of bids and loan offers for anyone in positions I'm looking to fill, which includes a goalkeeper, four more defenders and three attacking midfielders.

National League

Following the arrival of Lanjesi, Joe Magunda is dropped from the team with Liam Randles moving to right-back to accommodate our new Malawian signing who wears the number 26 shirt. Three other changes saw Jak Marsh, Jozef Kovac and James McPike restored to the team having been rested last time out. We started brightly, seeing a goal from Byrne ruled out (again!) but despite dominating the game with 12 shots to Wrexham's 4, they win the points after scoring in the 54th minute.

Wrexham 1:0 Leamington
    Breeden 7, Randles 8, Chato 7, Francis 7, Lanjesi 7, Laws 5, Kovac 6 (Zoko 7), Marsh 7 (Quigley 7), McPike 6 (Powell 6), Sundstrom 7, Byrne 7.

Following our first defeat since 13th November, we were delighted to welcome our first Nigerian to the club albeit on loan from Crewe. Admittedly, he looks rather raw but it's another option for me in my midfield where he'll play behind the lone striker.

His arrival was swiftly followed by another loanee who'll give us options in the middle or on the right of midfield and will hopefully be as good as our last loanee from Yeovil, Otis Khan! Rhys Browne is our newest Antiguan & Barbudan player!

We also welcome our first player from Guyana after signing Anthony Jeffrey, a 25 year old right winger from Sutton United. His arrival means I'm now satisfied with my options in midfield with 9 attacking midfielders to choose from which will mean I'll have enough to rotate players instead of forcing some to play when they needed a break.

If that wasn't enough, the transfer fee spent on Lanjesi was broken by the arrival of 26 year old Janoi Donacien who becomes our first Saint Lucian player! He joins from Accrington for 65,000 and looks like a steal for this level.

National League

With a sudden spate of arrivals, we line up on Friday night against Cheltenham with Donacien handed his debut in place of Lanjesi but he's the only debutant as we also welcome Joan Guerrero back from injury in place of Richard Laws. Donacien takes the number 14 shirt as McPike opens the scoring before Cheltenham respond just before the break. They see a player sent off a minute into the second half but go ahead in the 63rd before we equalise through McPike once again. We pick up a cool 62,500 from appearing on TV!

Cheltenham 2:2 Leamington
    Breeden 6, Randles 6, Chato 5, Francis 5, Donacien 7, Guerrero 8, Kovac 6, Marsh 7, McPike 8 (Powell 7), Sundstrom 8 (Zoko 7), Byrne 7.
    Goals - McPike x2.
    Assists - Guerrero, Sundstrom.
    MotM - McPike.

FA Trophy

We have a solid eight days to prepare for our FA Trophy tie against Maidenhead where I fully expect just to win. Two changes are made to the team with Liam Francis dropping to the bench as Lanjesi partners Donacien at the back whilst Francois Zoko is brought in with Jozef Kovac losing his place as Kevin Sundstrom switches to the wing. Rhys Browne is also handed the number 18 shirt as he's named in the squad for the first time on the bench. The confidence that I had was soon evaporated as we concede first and then lose Jamie Byrne to injury in the first 26 minutes, before conceding again in the 32nd! McPike pulls one back for us and we somehow turn the game around completely in the last 3 minutes as Browne, Donacien and Guerrero all score!

Maidenhead 2:4 Leamington
    Breeden 8, Randles 7, Chato 6, Lanjesi 8, Donacien 8, Guerrero 9, Sundstrom 7, Marsh 7, McPike 7 (Powell 7), Zoko 7, Byrne 6 (Browne 9).
    Goals - McPike, Browne, Donacien, Guerrero.
    Assists - Marsh, Zoko x2.
    MotM - Guerrero.

Aston Villa are back in for Sundstrom with a 110,000 which is bizarre considering they offered 130k last month! It's again refused and the good news this time is that Sundstrom is willing to talk terms and we manage to extend his contract by two years as it was due to expire in 18 months time. He also gets a 450 pay raise to 800 per week and his minimum fee release clause is doubled to 1,000,000! Villa did come back with a 130k offer but Sundstrom had agreed a new deal by then.

National League

We play Maidenhead again but at our place in the league with Byrne ruled out for two weeks. Surprisingly though, it's Karl Ledsham who is named on the left wing as Zoko actually makes way too for Browne to start. The number 40 shirt is issued to Anthony Jeffrey who is named on the bench. The game takes a reverse start this time as we lead 2:0 through Jak Marsh and McPike and add another two with Browne scoring again and Marsh getting a second, all four goals coming before half-time! Unfortunately, we lose any prospect of a clean sheet as we emerge looking a completely different team, conceding 3 goals but hold on for a win. The second half was awful but at least a record crowd of 2,042 (only 8 from a sell out!) watch a great first half.

Leamington 4:3 Maidenhead
    Breeden 6, Randles 9 (Francis 6), Chato 6, Lanjesi 6, Donacien 7, Guerrero 8, Sundstrom 7 (Jeffrey 7), Marsh 9, McPike 8 (Powell 7), Browne 10, Ledsham 6.
    Goals - Marsh x2, McPike, Browne.
    Assists - Randles x2, McPike, Browne.
    MotM - Browne.

National League

Our re-arranged game against FC United is next on the calendar where we hope our new loanee Browne can shine against our old loanee Khan who lines up on their right wing! We make one change with Paterson Chato dropped to the bench with Jordon Forster coming in and Donacien moved to left-back. We inexplicably fall two goals behind by half-time but come back out to level the game through Sundstrom and sub Ryan Powell. But then up popped Khan to set up FC United's winning goal in the 84th minute.

FC United 3:2 Leamington
    Breeden 5, Randles 5, Donacien 6, Lanjesi 6, Forster 6, Guerrero 7, Sundstrom 8 (Zoko 7), Marsh 7, McPike 7 (Powell 7), Browne 8, Ledsham 7.
    Goals - Sundstrom, Powell.
    Assists - Browne.

The month comes to an end without any new faces though I'm pleased to have added five to the group for the rest of the season. We did try to get another centre back in, a Zambian international with 6 caps called Daudi Musekwa but a work permit fell through for him.

On the pitch, the gap to the top has been extended to 8 points so it's beginning to look as though we won't be able to catch up with the leaders. On a personal note, we're only 16 points from matching last years efforts which I'm still aiming to beat as the primary objective first and foremost.

There's no arguing that Rhys Browne has made a massive impact since arriving this month on loan. He got his chance earlier than expected when Jamie Byrne was injured and played his part in a comeback from 2:0 down to win 4:2, scoring the equaliser. He then heaped misery even more on Maidenhead with a man of the match performance by scoring and setting up a goal and notched an assist against FC United too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Redknapp69 is offline Soccer Manager - Division 1 Title/Cup
    Social Media Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Just catching up!

Great September!
    Kovac looks a bit of an all rounder atts wise
    Ledsham being a tool again and looks to be affecting squad in October
    Seems a poor loss v Salfords chance of some gone
    Da fuq you get 455k from?! Odd game for you and Eastleighto be on TV are they not bottom half?
    And Fylde also bottom half WEIRD
    Guerreor is a BEAST

"Because our last two games which we'd won had reached audiences in Germany, Ivory Coast, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden as well as the UK and Ireland?" Its good for the story

November you are very much Jekkyl and Hyde!
    Supporters cant afford the FA Trophy games!
    Good finish to the month slightly fortuitous to win MOM but hey youre near the top of the table so fair play!
    Surely you cant sell Guerrero?!
    Rather good December but so did others and just realised no plaoffs just the top 2. Well position to attack them though!
    Lanjesi looks good solid DC and with that Stamina should hold up with midweek games
    Udoh could have a bit about him IMO
    Browne looks very good Antiguan
    Jeffresy also very promising you are certainly getting players with better atts now which is great
    OH MY DAYS Donacien looks a STORMER and versatile
    Bummer of a loss to FC United at the end of the month bit of a six pointer that

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678