Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 849091929394
Results 2,326 to 2,341 of 2341

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 7 - Global Attraction

vCash
    We had big hopes for Hindmarch!

Well - I complained about Mark keeping the likes of Adam Nelson for about 12 years who had about "4" for finishing but yes, the good thing about that is you remember them well!

Does seem at the top you have some big time charlies now!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    Ooh that Kazakh Borisov. He's a diamond that lad. Must have racked up a few assists now I reckon ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Treated Unfairly For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Well - I complained about Mark keeping the likes of Adam Nelson for about 12 years who had about "4" for finishing
    That was only because I had said, when he was promotted from the academy, that he would never play for Leamington
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash

Global Attraction - Season 24 - February
    Nations = 31
    Austria, Belgium, Benin, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Croatia, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Italy, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Latvia, Mexico, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Scotland, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay, Wales

Though I was pleased to bring in Danny van Veen during the January window to replace Dean Quinn, I was disappointed not to have replaced Marek Bilek after his outrageous comments about his colleagues. It means I'll have to rely on a 32 year old Nemanja Susic and a 31 year old Tiago Andre Luz for the remainder of the season, of which we're still competing on four fronts! It's just a shame we were finally beaten on home turf to have lost top spot as soon as we had grabbed it. But I have faith in my players to put the pressure back on Crystal Palace once again, who have never done better than a 2nd placed finish four years ago.

Meanwhile, we've confirmed our Champions League squad as van Veen and Luz are added to our options and we've also opted to bring in Mansour Faye and Raffi Ferreirain place of Vasilios Nikolaou and Musaba Ngama.

Premier League
    February begins with a trip to London against Q.P.R. who we've managed 16 wins against compared to their 7. Faye, Chris Barr, Antonio Bruno and Luz are rested with Olivier Frey, Stefan Hopfer, Philip Gren and Susic taking over. We also drop Yury Borisov after a couple of below par performances, move Jose Machado inside and start Lars Rose on the right. We are made to pay for wasted chances in the first half as the hosts strike within three minutes of the second half. But Borisov comes off the bench to equalise in the 79th minute for a point but it's allow Palace to move four points clear.

Q.P.R. 1:1 Leamington
    Kovac 8, Kone 7, Frey 7, Simic 6, Hopfer 6 (Nikolaou 6), Ferreira 7, Rose 7, Susic 7, Gren 8, Machado 7 (Borisov 7), Choi 7 (Van Houdt 7).
    Goals - Borisov.

FA Cup Fourth Round Replay
    As you'd expected, Bruno is back in for our fifth game of the season against Man Utd along with Faye, Barr and Luz. This is our 10th visit to Old Trafford where we've won only 3 times, the last of which came five years ago. We have a very slow start indeed as we don't register a shot in the first half, with Marko Kovac having another blinder, then are left with 10 men after Noel Kone picks up a second booking just before the half-time whistle. We come out after half-time with a penalty shout denied when Bruno is clearly clipped inside the area. Five minutes later, Man Utd score and we're out of the FA Cup!

Man Utd 1:0 Leamington
    Kovac 8, Kone 5, Faye 5, Simic 7, Barr 4, Ferreira 7, Rose 6, Luz 7, Bruno 6, Machado 7 (Van Houdt 6), Choi 6 (Frey 6).

Premier League
    Crystal Palace beat Watford while we were knocked out of the FA Cup, putting them 7 points clear. We need to bounce back but must do so at Arsenal who are now 4th. Out goes the banned Kone along with Barr, Luz and Rose for Frey, Hopfer, Susic and Borisov. With Quinn in their starting XI, Arsenal see a penalty shout denied after Borisov slid in on a player in the box. It's one we get away with as Chang-Su Choi puts us ahead, only for Arsenal to grab a point with their only shot on target in the 76th minute. Palace win to go 9 points clear and so do Man Utd to go 2 points behind us.

Arsenal 1:1 Leamington
    Kovac 6, Faye 6, Frey 5, Simic 6, Hopfer 7 (Ponce 7), Ferreira 7, Machado 7 (Rose 6), Susic 7, Bruno 7, Borisov 7, Choi 7.
    Goals - Choi.
    Assists - Susic.

Champions League Phase 2 Group B
    Our recent domestic woes are forgotten as we go into a double header with Dortmund, who we've never faced before competitively, having lost 3:0 6 years ago in a friendly. It's the home game first, with five changes made to get something out of it, including Bruno being dropped after the goals have dried up of late. Gren doesn't score but sets up one of two goals in the first half as Ferreira and Borisov find the net. Borisov strikes again in the second half, where Dortmund also score, but our first group win gives us hope.

Leamington 3:1 Dortmund
    Kovac 7, Faye 8, Frey 7 (Dyer 6), Barr 7, Ponce 7, Ferreira 7, Choi 7 (Reed 7), Luz 7, Gren 8, Borisov 9, Diakhaby 7 (Jaunzems 7).
    Goals - Ferreira, Borisov x2.
    Assists - Gren, Faye.
    MotM - Borisov.

Following the game, Czech midfield was issued with a warning after speaking to a newspaper and revealing that he believes the club needs to invest in better players as soon as possible. I'm absolutely outraged by the article, informing Bilek that he is free to move on as soon as possible. There were still 10 days left of the window for him to leave the club this month.

Champions League Phase 2 Group B
    A week later, there's just one change for the visit to Germany as Jurijs Jaunzems, subject of so many high profile bids this season, starts for the first time this season as Diakhaby drops to the bench. This time, we fall behind but Borisov gets another goal against Dortmund with a timely equaliser before half-time. We grow as the game goes on but then get punished with an 88th minute strike, returning us to the bottom of the group once more.

Dortmund 2:1 Leamington
    Kovac 8, Faye 6, Frey 6, Barr 7, Ponce 6, Ferreira 7, Jaunzems 7, Luz 7, Gren 6, Borisov 8, Choi 7 (Diakhaby 7).
    Goals - Borisov.

Premier League
    After losing one and drawing two of our last three league games, we have to get back on the winning trail after letting Palace build up a lead. In our way our Man City, down in 12th place and we make four changes to help achieve that. Susic does open the scoring early on with a fifth strike of the season and Gren sets up Borisov to double the lead. Man City hadn't a chance all game and so we shoot ourselves in the foot as Ferreira gives away a penalty to let them back into it. He eventually comes off to allow van Veen make his debut from the bench but it's fellow substitute Luz who sets up Borisov to ensure we win again!

Leamington 3:1 Man City
    Kovac 8, Faye 7, Barr 6 (Frey 7), Simic 8, Hopfer 7, Ferreira 6 (van Veen 6), Choi 7, Susic 8 (Luz 8), Gren 8, Borisov 10, Diakhaby 7.
    Goals - Susic, Borisov x2.
    Assists - Borisov, Gren, Luz.
    MotM - Borisov.

EFL Cup Semi Final Second Leg
    After the FA Cup elimination at the hands of Man Utd, I'd quite like to finish the job against Chelsea to make it to the EFL Cup Final for the first time. We have a one goal advantage but rest Faye, Hopfer, Choi and Diakhaby with Kone, Frey, Reed and Jaunzems coming in. Susic is also replaced by Luz. It's really not a great game as Chelsea try to force the issue but we stay firm for the full 90 to finish 0:0 and go through! Our opponents at Wembley? Crystal bloody Palace!

Chelsea 0:0 Leamington
    Kovac 8, Kone 7, Frey 6, Simic 6, Barr 7, Ferreira 6, Jaunzems 7, Luz 7 (Susic 7), Gren 7 (Bruno 6), Borisov 7, Reed 7.

Our title hopes have taken a massive dent after a disastrous month. From being 6 clear of Man Utd and only 2 behind Crystal Palace, we're now 1 behind Man Utd and 9 behind Crystal Palace!

Do you Remember...?

Academy centre half Scott Barrow spent ten years at the club but never quite managed to endear himself to the supporters. In that time, he played just 74 matches overall, scoring only the once. It's fair to say there may have been some celebrations when he finally left the club for Woking! He did enjoy a journey with us though, coming through the academy as we were promoted from the National League, leaving when we finished 9th in the Championship!

Leamington Statistics
    Starts = 57 (#77).
    Sub Apps = 17 (#57).
    Total Apps = 74 (#83).
    Goals = 1 (#150).
    Assists = 0 (#187).
    MotM = 1 (#140).
    Yellow Cards = 6 (#63).
    Red Cards = 0 (#98).
    Int. Caps = 0 (#151).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Treated Unfairly View Post
    Ooh that Kazakh Borisov. He's a diamond that lad. Must have racked up a few assists now I reckon ?
    He's great! He had a little wobble but back in now and has 8 goals and 13 assists

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    That was only because I had said, when he was promotted from the academy, that he would never play for Leamington
    He'd never score! In fairness, I treated him the same as every other player!

11. Oh man that wasn't a good month, Palace are really breaking clear at top! Have they won much in the last few seasons or got some quality players? Or has this come as a surprise?

Also now the Champions League next phase looks a huge ask but at least you have a Cup Final... although seems like it wont be easy against the mighty Palace!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Shit that was a horrible month. I don't remember that Barrow lad, he must have been awful!

Redders commitment to hating all that is loyalty and academy graduates is commendable

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dweatherston11 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I became a Leamington fan after you won the title but hey - what is this? Bad month League-wise and FA-cup wise and CL-wise.

I like Danny van Veen, though.

Although I must add that nowadays Dutch footballers are called Achraf el Bouchatoui or Jayden Candelaria or Gio-Renys Felicia or Omar Mohamedhoesein. And not Van Veen anymore.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Out of one competition and very nearly out of 2 more. That was a horrible month
    Need to win that game in hand to have any chance, but games are running out to recover
    Damned Palace in the final as well.
    Bilek can do one.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James_y View Post
    Oh man that wasn't a good month, Palace are really breaking clear at top! Have they won much in the last few seasons or got some quality players? Or has this come as a surprise?

Also now the Champions League next phase looks a huge ask but at least you have a Cup Final... although seems like it wont be easy against the mighty Palace!
    They've always been up there and thereabouts, so a threat but never won the title.

Quote Originally Posted by dweatherston11 View Post
    Shit that was a horrible month. I don't remember that Barrow lad, he must have been awful!

Redders commitment to hating all that is loyalty and academy graduates is commendable
    He was awful

Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    I became a Leamington fan after you won the title but hey - what is this? Bad month League-wise and FA-cup wise and CL-wise.

I like Danny van Veen, though.

Although I must add that nowadays Dutch footballers are called Achraf el Bouchatoui or Jayden Candelaria or Gio-Renys Felicia or Omar Mohamedhoesein. And not Van Veen anymore.
    Just like all English footballers appear to have double-barrelled names nowadays. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Callum Hudson-Odoi. A joy for the supporters to spend their money on all those letters on the back of their shirts!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Out of one competition and very nearly out of 2 more. That was a horrible month
    Need to win that game in hand to have any chance, but games are running out to recover
    Damned Palace in the final as well.
    Bilek can do one.
    Two more? Guessing you mean the league. I don't think it's over yet. Games against Palace and Man Utd are still to come, so if we can steady the ship again before that, it'll be very interesting to see how it ends up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just like all English footballers appear to have double-barrelled names nowadays. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Callum Hudson-Odoi. A joy for the supporters to spend their money on all those letters on the back of their shirts!
    Tonight my team will be playing Celtic who have Callum Hudson-Odoi as striker!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ugh - gash league month - but you do have a game in hand

Ugh - out of cup!

Nooooooo - CL looking VERY tough now to qualify

Great stuff on getting to league Cup Final though - a nice mentality game v Palace could help destroy thier league run in

No love for "wheel" Barrow from me

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

25. Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    They've always been up there and thereabouts, so a threat but never won the title!
    For your sake hopefully they blow this!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hopefully. We may put a run together once CL is over and done with, unless we somehow qualify!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 849091929394