Thread: How to identify good players

vCash

How to identify good players

- without using CM Scout and other tools?

In my current save I picked up this striker on a Bosman. I couldn't believe my luck and was expecting great things from him. But after nearly half a season, he's not playing as I thought he would.

Screenshot:

To my eyes he looks like a very good all rounder.
    + good acceleration and pace (17/15)
    + good decisions (16)
    + good finishing (16)
    + very good heading and jumping (18/17)
    + good off the ball (17)
    + good strength (18)

Granted, there are no 20's here, but he ticks all the boxes I would expect from a good striker. He even has high determination (18) and work rate (15) thrown in.

He's playing as a single striker in a 4-1-4-1.

Why isn't this guy scoring?

Are there any 'warnings' amongst his attributes? Could (should...?) I have known he would be just average?

It just pisses me off I can't seem to find a good striker in this game! I have others too, there's this other guy who is much more reliable. His finishing is 20 but the rest of the attributes are in the 11-13 range, so I assumed he wouldn't be as good. He would hit the target given the chance, but then again I thought he would struggle to get to those chances. But so far he's the one I've been subbing in for goals.

vCash
    Aggression and Bravery stats aren't that great, but I'd have gone for him with the rest of those attributes. He's still fairly young, so maybe the best is yet to come?

GFRay is offline 0102Bet Mod
    Network Games Mod
    Official Challenge Mod
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    Most Mod Titles
    vCash
    Well the lack of Technique makes it that he won't be able to control many passes that are played to him. But other than that he looks fine.

It might more be a problem of lesser players around him that can't get the ball to him.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!
    Want to have your tactic tested to see where it ranks? Check out the Revamped Tactics League!
    Current games: Ultimate Managers League, Road To Glory and International Managers Competition
    Current stories: From Misfits To Champions: An Interactive Story, The Coventry Comeback and The Great Comeback: A Dutch Football Story

vCash
    Hm, technique... Maybe I'll try putting him on some intensive skill training and see what comes out of it.

He reminds me of a legend in cm 97/98, Bakayoko. He looked amazing with 20's all over the place, but I could never get him to perform. Must have been some mental, hidden stats.

GFRay is offline 0102Bet Mod
    Network Games Mod
    Official Challenge Mod
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    Most Mod Titles
    vCash
    Could also be low consistency, but that should go up the more he plays. So if he turns into a beast after 2~3 years you will know it was consistency
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!
    Want to have your tactic tested to see where it ranks? Check out the Revamped Tactics League!
    Current games: Ultimate Managers League, Road To Glory and International Managers Competition
    Current stories: From Misfits To Champions: An Interactive Story, The Coventry Comeback and The Great Comeback: A Dutch Football Story

vCash
    14 games is not enough time to tell, simple as that.

vCash
    I eventually bought back one of my previous strikers. He had 33 goals in 36 apps before he was poached a few seasons ago due to a min release clause. Luckily they didn't use him so I could bring him back for pennies. He got 10 goals from 14 apps now (getting older).

The main difference between this guy and the one in the OP is that the "good" one has better Anticipation (16 vs 12). His technique is also better (14 vs 10). But the other atts; finishing, off the ball, heading, pace... the new guy (OP) is better.

Is anticipation super important?

OP ended with 26 games and 10 goals. He spent half a season doing intensive skill training but his technique didn't move. F this, don't have time for him to develop! Finished 2nd this season after some really poor draws that really should have been wins if I had a good striker. Grrr.

Dermotron is offline Sir Mergements
    Director
    Manager
    Member of the Month
    VIP
    Captain
    vCash
    Like most CA related atts, Anticpation is either good really high or really low for strikers, not in between (Messi and Ronaldo have 1 for Anticipation I'm current DB, RvN has 20 on ODB)

His atts from GK Save Game Editor would be more useful to say why he wasn't working. But 33 in 36 means there's nothing wrong as such