Thread: Poor Disciplinary Record

Poor Disciplinary Record

I have been fined in both seasons managing Vitoria Guimaraes in Portugal for my team's terrible disciplinary record. I am sure this makes not a jot of difference in terms of the game but I was wondering how you handle specific player problems?

I have a DC called Cleber who sets a great example as Team Captain by getting sent off twice a season and racking up double figure yellow cards so he misses 8-10 games through suspension. My problem is, when he DOES play he averages 7.72 and is also on a mere 500 quid a week for the next three years. Is it worth putting up with him going psycho on the pitch given that an equal quality replacement will want far more in wages?

Vitoria Guimaraes' board are not the most generous when it comes to setting wage limits so even somebody like Clint Hill is unaffordable from that perspective. I did have Risp lined up as a replacement but cocked up the contract negotiations so he refuses to sign for me.......

You can try to discipline your players for red cards. That can help. I'd be careful with fining them, though. Seems to upset a lot of players. If you play hard tackling, you may want to consider playing it only in really important games and/or turn to normal once in a relatively comfortable lead. Otherwise, 2 red cards per season isn't that bad, actually, is it? I'd continue to play that guy if he is given your team the extra it needs.... in those games he plays.

I might try warning him I suppose. The 2 red cards are not unreasonable, he's in Sergio Ramos territory😀 The 10 -12 yellow cards is more annoying because apart from the missed games, if he picks one up early I have to sub him at half time 'just in case'

If you play hard tackling you can change the individual setting of the player to normal if he picks up a yellow during the game. It's very rare in such a case for a player to pick up a second card.