Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: You Can't Win 'Em All ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    Dramatic stuff with Internacional in the cup final. It took you a while to find a system that worked for you but you got there in the end and it must have been a huge relief when that goal went in.

Half way through the State Championships now and this was probably the easiest of the lot. I wonder if at any point you were tempted to throw it and take your chances in the Copa Libertadores. At least by losing the final you can be safe in the knowledge that this wasn't a missed opportunity.

Tough board to please but your job at Coritiba is done and soon they'll be begging for you to come back.

France next, then. Sticking with the Brucey bonus theme, I'm going to predict that your next club will be Nice (to see you, to see you, Nice).
    If we had been in both finals, I would certainly have had a decision to make on which one I wanted most. When they gave us the State title without a playoff, that threw me.

You're such a lovely audience, so much better than last week's
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The Brucie jokes

Ooh, good thinking CMAdventurer! Bet you're on the money!

7 titles to go in Brazil, that adventure will never end

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ooh, good thinking CMAdventurer! Bet you're on the money!
    I was going to say unlucky not to get the Copa Libertadores ticked off as well but then I remembered Kingsley's rules. A second trophy wouldn't have counted because each title has to be won with a different team and only the first one counts.

You get nothing for a pair, not in this game.

Edit: I thought you meant good thinking regarding throwing the State Championship, rather than guessing his next club. That joke stays in, though.

Oddly enough, when I saw the title (before I'd seen the rest of it), I tried to think of what it could mean and Nice came into my head fairly quickly.
    Last edited by CMAdventurer; 13-03-19 at 05:04 AM.

vCash
    Chapter 51 - Back Before The Postcards

Quevilly-Rouen

US Quevilly-Rouen Métropole, known simply as US Quevilly or USQRM is a French football club based in Le Petit-Quevilly (Seine-Maritime). The club was founded as US Quevilly in 1902 and reached the final of the Coupe de France in 1927, and the semi-finals in 1968 and 2010. In the 2010–11 season US Quevilly won the CFA Group A and was promoted to the Championnat National. In 2012, they reached the Coupe de France Final for the second time, losing 0–1 to Olympique Lyonnais.

In April 2015, US Quevilly joined with FC Rouen to form US Quevilly-Rouen Métropole, taking the place of US Quevilly in the Championnat de France Amateur for the 2015–16 season. This was not a straight merger, as FC Rouen continued to exist as a separate entity, with the new joint entity incorporating the colours and crest of FC Rouen into its kits and crest. In 2016, US Quevilly-Rouen gained promotion to the Championnat National, achieving back to back promotion to French second tier in May 2017. After having played only one season in Ligue 2, US Quevilly-Rouen were relegated back to Championnat National. From the 1st of July 2018 FC Rouen is no longer part of the project.

They play at the Amable-et-Micheline-Lozai Stadium, which has a capacity of 2,500.

I'm struggling to think of any Brucey catch-phrases with Quevilly-Rouen in it, however we will be in the Championnat National, along with a certain team from the Mediterranean coast, so perhaps when we visit we will get to say “Nice to see you, to see you Nice”

International Update

Uzbekistan

World Cup finals and a daunting task to get past Senegal, Italy and Belgium just to get out of the group. Uzbekistan have lost 5 of the previous 6 games in the finals (USA, Ukraine, Senegal, Portugal and Switzerland) with only a 0-0 draw against Portugal being their best result.

Senegal
    This game in Sevilla is the one that I am targeting. If we lose this one, there is very little home in the remaining games. We are at full strength, lining up in a 4-4-2 formation with Hasanov and Ergashev leading the attack. Senegal have an identical formation, but can boast players from the French, Spanish and Turkish top flight leagues. This was also a game they had to win.

It was an extremely dull first half, taking 21 minutes to see the first effort on goal. Senegal were dominating possession, but doing nothing constructive. We saw it to half time at 0-0 and neither keeper had been overly worked. The start of the second half did see an improvement and there were a couple of chances at each end. It was still nearly an hour played, before the breakthrough. A Senegal attack broke down and Gafurov spotted left back Khakimov with space to run into. Nasimov on the other wing was up in support. The diagonal pass was perfect and Nasimov's low shot beat the keeper at his near post.

That goal changed the whole complexion of the match. Now it was all Uzbekistan and we could easily have scored more before Ergashev finally got us a second, heading in a Rakhimov cross.

As one pundit said “They'll be dancing on the streets of Tashkent tonight”

Italy
    Italy had beaten Belgium 2-0 and would be assured of qualification if they beat us and Belgium beat Senegal. Surprisingly, they set up as a 3-5-2, rather than the expected 4-3-3. Maybe they were playing safe ? Such thoughts lasted 3 minutes before Torino's Richard D'Agostino scored with a long range shot that Hasanov should have dealt with better. The last thing we had wanted was an early Italy goal.

To our credit, we defended bravely for the rest of the first half, despite intense pressure and their were no more goals before the interval. We were still in it, but not for long. Like the first half, the second started with an Italian goal. Alessandro Parisi, the Torino left wing-back, was left unmarked and his free header doubled their lead. Soon after, Mario Belotti, the Middlesbrough striker hammered in a superb volley to make it 3-0. It looked all over, but surprisingly the Italians took their foot off the gas and suddenly we were the team creating all the chances. Davron Moglievsky scored his 10th International goal when he barged his way through a defence that looked frightened of getting an injury.

That gave us hope and with fresh legs in attack, Khasanov hit the bar with a thumping header. Time was running out. The board went up showing 4 minutes of injury time. Ilyasov found himself with space for a shot, which was saved by Ferrero. Petrov pounced … 3-2 ! He sprinted back to the centre spot with the ball and Italy kicked off. They knew what they were doing, taking the ball to the corner flag and seeing out the remaining few minutes.

Belgium
    The Belgians had managed a 2-0 win over Senegal, which left us in second place on goal difference, behind Italy who had qualified. All we needed was a draw. Again we were unchanged, mainly due to the fact that there was bog all alternatives. Belgium also lined up 4-4-2. We had to avoid conceding the early goal. From the last 2 games, we were better as the game progressed. Gilles van Winckel destroyed that plan with his 6th minute strike.

In a one sided opening, Steven Hulsmans added a second. Belgium thought they had done enough and went into cruise control. We huffed and puffed, but were no match for the Belgians, until 1 minute from time when Davron Moglievsky turned on a sixpence and let rip with his right foot to give us a late consolation.

We were heading home, however the postcards, when they did arrive were mainly positive. We had done better than any previous Uzbek side and Moglievsky had been named in the team of the tournament. The Uzbek FA were satisfied and so the project goes on.

In the final, Croatia came back from 2-0 down with 15 minutes to go to beat Germany.

The next big date for Uzbekistan is 5th June 2055, 11 months from now and the date for the AFC Asian Cup draw

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Awww, feel bad for CMAdventurer as I thought he was bang on the money with Nice being your next job!

I'm surprised but you gave it a go with Uzbekistan! To lose by just one goal to Italy and Belgium is no disgrace at all. Hopefully your job is still secure?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Awww, feel bad for CMAdventurer as I thought he was bang on the money with Nice being your next job!
    Nah, I knew the Brucey bonus applied to the Copa Libertadores rather than his next club. Just thought I'd put the suggestion out there to continue with the theme.

A valiant effort at the World Cup, you just came up against teams with far more quality. Your teams seem to get drawn against Italy a lot at major tournaments.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I was going to say that Italy are a bogey side, but it is a bit the other way as my teams have done well against them.

vCash
    So where was I?

Ah yes Granada and another chance at the Segunda title, typical the board then spend some of your transfer money on increasing the stadium capacity! Not that it mattered as you brought in 11 new faces without spending a single penny (or cent), hopefully they'll do the job for the season ahead.

What a start to the season it was as well with just a solitary draw in your first 10 games, although Alaves right on your coat tails. Then in the blink of an eye that went and it was when not if you'd be declared champions, but what a win over Barca in the cup that is as well!

I don't blame you turning down the Cruzeiro offer, it would have been a big ask to make up that 6 point gap with just 3 games left, so to France and the possibility of a very short stint! Short it was as you lifted the cup despite receiving a very harsh red card, trying to think of clubs that sound like Museli or something now

Easy stuff with Australia as expected, the only blemish being the goal you conceded in qualifying South Korea aside that 2nd phase looks pretty straight forward too.

vCash
    Great choice of a club with Quevilly ! I watched this final on tv in 2012 when they lost only 1-0 to Lyon.

Lloris, Lovren and Lacazette notably played for Lyon at that time

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112