Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The worst signing you've made

vCash

The worst signing you've made

Who are some of the worst signings you've made in the game?

Two come to mind immediately for me and both in the same save with Rangers (on 3.9.60), first is Alan Smith who I bought for £18m from Leeds in about the 2nd or 3rd season who over 3 seasons managed about 30 goals (his strike partner Anelka managed 20+ each season).

Second is John Carew who I signed for £15m after Anelka became inevitably unhappy after 5 seasons and left for Bayern Munich for £25m (about £20m profit). However, while Anelka managed over 100 goals in just under 200 games, Carew managed about 6 in 35 across the season and was promptly sold at a loss.

Who were your flops you had high ambitions for that didn't work out?

vCash
    Igor Tudor, worst 'top' defender ever created in the game

Spent a fortune on Johnnier Montano thinking he would be brilliant after stepping down a level. Subsequent testing showed he could step down indefinitely and never find a level

Giovani from Olympiacos, Barcelona would regularly buy him and he's be a 40 goal a season man. I think 15 was my best with him in multiple attempts.

Rafael van der Vaart another you'd buy but never really get the return his stats promised

vCash
    Them top two comments

I had van der Vaart on that same save and also with Ajax on one of the challenges and he did well for me, obviously that's not hard domestically in Scotland and Holland but he did it in Europe for me as well.

vCash
    Just realised I should have pluralised signing in the title

vCash
    Sean Davis from Fulham on the ODB.

Guy has beatly stats almost Patrick Vieira like, but just can't seem to perform with them.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

vCash
    My worst signing, no matter how many different savegames and leagues I try will always have to be;
    Sebastian Frey
    -simply put, because for some he might be a top-class guardian, but for me he kept pulling off the most reckless, most inconsistent, and truly complacent mistakes in CM history. From my Scarborough journey from Conference to European glory, bought him on his last season at Parma (his contract expiring). Have to say that, out of all goalies I signed (free or last resort ones who outdid him spectacularly) I expected a lot from him. Had a series of 5s and 4s almost on a weekly basis, only performed well against good teams at home(max. 6,8 rating and 37+ goals conceded).
    Obs: his most OK season was when i used 4-1-2-1-2 Jack, from tactics challenge).
    Last edited by dilson84; 13-09-18 at 02:48 PM.

vCash
    Funny you mention Frey, I can't remember managing him before and I've just started a save with Parma and he threw in an early 5 so I've played Taffarel ahead of him now and he's performing much better despite his stats not being as good as Frey's.

vCash
    Alexandrow-Ridley

Everyone I signed since the draft for the CML

vCash

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Alexandrow-Ridley

Everyone I signed since the draft for the CML
    On that subject, mine is Ben Brereton in DTL. Never plays let alone plays badly!

vCash
    I can't remember, altough I do remember Samsamis worst signing ever..

vCash
    Philippe Mexès on my recent Saint-Étienne challenge was really very bad indeed, averaging much less than 6,5, and a good half a point average lower than any other defender in the squad. He once scored two goals in a friendly and rated a 6...

Another type is ones who play really well for the opponents and then don't come even close once I've signed them. I think Juan Pablo Ángel and Tore André Flo are good examples from 3.9.68.

Brazilian 'Fat' Ronaldo and 'Young' Michael Owen are another two major disappointments from that DB.

vCash
    Rio Ferdinand.
    Massive disappointment for me at Ajax and later on different saves Juventus and FC Bayern.

vCash
    samuel armenteros, in the october 2017 update. bought as a free agent after the first season, he made unhappy all the rest of my players (about 30 players)

vCash
    I think probably Adrian Mutu on the .68. Signed him for around £40m and barely averaged above 7.00.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dilson84 View Post
    My worst signing, no matter how many different savegames and leagues I try will always have to be;
    Sebastian Frey
    -simply put, because for some he might be a top-class guardian, but for me he kept pulling off the most reckless, most inconsistent, and truly complacent mistakes in CM history. From my Scarborough journey from Conference to European glory, bought him on his last season at Parma (his contract expiring). Have to say that, out of all goalies I signed (free or last resort ones who outdid him spectacularly) I expected a lot from him. Had a series of 5s and 4s almost on a weekly basis, only performed well against good teams at home(max. 6,8 rating and 37+ goals conceded).
    Obs: his most OK season was when i used 4-1-2-1-2 Jack, from tactics challenge).
    Frey was bad for me in a rangers game I had, klos was far better event if his attributes looked worse

vCash
    The first time I signed Mark Kerr.
    People had been talking about this wonder Scot, so I thought I wanted a piece of that and used up most of my transfer budget to get him. First game he gets a red card after 20 mins and a 3 game suspension. Second game he breaks his leg and is out for 6 months.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    Reminds me of spending my entire £55m Dream Team League budget on a then superstar Fernando Torres. Torn ACL for 9 months without even making an appearance

vCash
    Frey seems to have turned the corner for me in my Parma save thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarixus View Post
    Rio Ferdinand.
    Massive disappointment for me at Ajax and later on different saves Juventus and FC Bayern.
    I've just signed Rio ahead of my 2nd season with Parma, hopefully he does the business for me.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    People had been talking about this wonder Scot, so I thought I wanted a piece of that and used up most of my transfer budget to get him. First game he gets a red card after 20 mins and a 3 game suspension. Second game he breaks his leg and is out for 6 months.
    Mark Kerr is my worst signing every time! Never had success with the b*****d!

vCash
    Kerr's really good in lower leagues but not great in top flight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    That's bad RNG, but says nothing about the player itself.

Quote Originally Posted by whostheduke View Post
    Mark Kerr is my worst signing every time! Never had success with the b*****d!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobclear View Post
    Kerr's really good in lower leagues but not great in top flight.
    How is that even possible? I ALWAYS buy him. Had him at Inter, Barca, Man Utd, Liverpool and he ALWAYS gets an average rating of 7.50 or higher, +10 goals and +10 assists. Every. Damn. Time.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

vCash
    I did not know that .

- - - Updated - - -

He just seemed to flop for me

vCash
    He sucked in CML.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast