Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: The worst signing you've made

  1. #1

    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    7,994
    vCash
    45650

    The worst signing you've made

    Who are some of the worst signings you've made in the game?

    Two come to mind immediately for me and both in the same save with Rangers (on 3.9.60), first is Alan Smith who I bought for £18m from Leeds in about the 2nd or 3rd season who over 3 seasons managed about 30 goals (his strike partner Anelka managed 20+ each season).

    Second is John Carew who I signed for £15m after Anelka became inevitably unhappy after 5 seasons and left for Bayern Munich for £25m (about £20m profit). However, while Anelka managed over 100 goals in just under 200 games, Carew managed about 6 in 35 across the season and was promptly sold at a loss.

    Who were your flops you had high ambitions for that didn't work out?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    15-12-11
    Location
    Your Mother
    Posts
    32,940
    vCash
    570000
    Igor Tudor, worst 'top' defender ever created in the game

    Spent a fortune on Johnnier Montano thinking he would be brilliant after stepping down a level. Subsequent testing showed he could step down indefinitely and never find a level

    Giovani from Olympiacos, Barcelona would regularly buy him and he's be a 40 goal a season man. I think 15 was my best with him in multiple attempts.

    Rafael van der Vaart another you'd buy but never really get the return his stats promised

  3. #3

    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    7,994
    vCash
    45650
    Them top two comments

    I had van der Vaart on that same save and also with Ajax on one of the challenges and he did well for me, obviously that's not hard domestically in Scotland and Holland but he did it in Europe for me as well.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    7,994
    vCash
    45650
    Just realised I should have pluralised signing in the title

  5. #5

    Join Date
    11-03-12
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,614
    vCash
    3792
    Sean Davis from Fulham on the ODB.

    Guy has beatly stats almost Patrick Vieira like, but just can't seem to perform with them.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    08-03-12
    Location
    Angola
    Posts
    90
    vCash
    500
    My worst signing, no matter how many different savegames and leagues I try will always have to be;
    Sebastian Frey
    -simply put, because for some he might be a top-class guardian, but for me he kept pulling off the most reckless, most inconsistent, and truly complacent mistakes in CM history. From my Scarborough journey from Conference to European glory, bought him on his last season at Parma (his contract expiring). Have to say that, out of all goalies I signed (free or last resort ones who outdid him spectacularly) I expected a lot from him. Had a series of 5s and 4s almost on a weekly basis, only performed well against good teams at home(max. 6,8 rating and 37+ goals conceded).
    Obs: his most OK season was when i used 4-1-2-1-2 Jack, from tactics challenge).
    Last edited by dilson84; 13-09-18 at 02:48 PM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    7,994
    vCash
    45650
    Funny you mention Frey, I can't remember managing him before and I've just started a save with Parma and he threw in an early 5 so I've played Taffarel ahead of him now and he's performing much better despite his stats not being as good as Frey's.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    28,952
    vCash
    0
    Alexandrow-Ridley

    Everyone I signed since the draft for the CML

  9. #9

    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    7,994
    vCash
    45650

  10. #10
    ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    8,306
    vCash
    435000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Alexandrow-Ridley

    Everyone I signed since the draft for the CML
    On that subject, mine is Ben Brereton in DTL. Never plays let alone plays badly!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    07-07-12
    Posts
    6,198
    vCash
    681
    I can't remember, altough I do remember Samsamis worst signing ever..

  12. #12

    Join Date
    08-03-12
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    766
    vCash
    500
    Philippe Mexès on my recent Saint-Étienne challenge was really very bad indeed, averaging much less than 6,5, and a good half a point average lower than any other defender in the squad. He once scored two goals in a friendly and rated a 6...

    Another type is ones who play really well for the opponents and then don't come even close once I've signed them. I think Juan Pablo Ángel and Tore André Flo are good examples from 3.9.68.

    Brazilian 'Fat' Ronaldo and 'Young' Michael Owen are another two major disappointments from that DB.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    09-03-12
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    30
    vCash
    500
    Rio Ferdinand.
    Massive disappointment for me at Ajax and later on different saves Juventus and FC Bayern.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    23-06-12
    Posts
    39
    vCash
    500
    samuel armenteros, in the october 2017 update. bought as a free agent after the first season, he made unhappy all the rest of my players (about 30 players)

  15. #15

    Join Date
    03-11-17
    Posts
    143
    vCash
    500
    I think probably Adrian Mutu on the .68. Signed him for around £40m and barely averaged above 7.00.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    09-09-18
    Posts
    78
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by dilson84 View Post
    My worst signing, no matter how many different savegames and leagues I try will always have to be;
    Sebastian Frey
    -simply put, because for some he might be a top-class guardian, but for me he kept pulling off the most reckless, most inconsistent, and truly complacent mistakes in CM history. From my Scarborough journey from Conference to European glory, bought him on his last season at Parma (his contract expiring). Have to say that, out of all goalies I signed (free or last resort ones who outdid him spectacularly) I expected a lot from him. Had a series of 5s and 4s almost on a weekly basis, only performed well against good teams at home(max. 6,8 rating and 37+ goals conceded).
    Obs: his most OK season was when i used 4-1-2-1-2 Jack, from tactics challenge).
    Frey was bad for me in a rangers game I had, klos was far better event if his attributes looked worse

  17. #17

    Join Date
    05-03-12
    Location
    Ribble Valley
    Posts
    5,193
    vCash
    19400
    The first time I signed Mark Kerr.
    People had been talking about this wonder Scot, so I thought I wanted a piece of that and used up most of my transfer budget to get him. First game he gets a red card after 20 mins and a 3 game suspension. Second game he breaks his leg and is out for 6 months.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

  18. #18

    Join Date
    15-12-11
    Location
    Your Mother
    Posts
    32,940
    vCash
    570000
    Reminds me of spending my entire £55m Dream Team League budget on a then superstar Fernando Torres. Torn ACL for 9 months without even making an appearance

  19. #19

    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    7,994
    vCash
    45650
    Frey seems to have turned the corner for me in my Parma save thankfully.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarixus View Post
    Rio Ferdinand.
    Massive disappointment for me at Ajax and later on different saves Juventus and FC Bayern.
    I've just signed Rio ahead of my 2nd season with Parma, hopefully he does the business for me.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,466
    vCash
    0

  21. #21

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Posts
    9
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    The first time I signed Mark Kerr.
    People had been talking about this wonder Scot, so I thought I wanted a piece of that and used up most of my transfer budget to get him. First game he gets a red card after 20 mins and a 3 game suspension. Second game he breaks his leg and is out for 6 months.
    Mark Kerr is my worst signing every time! Never had success with the b*****d!

  22. #22

    Join Date
    20-09-18
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,790
    vCash
    1115
    Kerr's really good in lower leagues but not great in top flight.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    11-03-12
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,614
    vCash
    3792
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    The first time I signed Mark Kerr.
    People had been talking about this wonder Scot, so I thought I wanted a piece of that and used up most of my transfer budget to get him. First game he gets a red card after 20 mins and a 3 game suspension. Second game he breaks his leg and is out for 6 months.
    That's bad RNG, but says nothing about the player itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by whostheduke View Post
    Mark Kerr is my worst signing every time! Never had success with the b*****d!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobclear View Post
    Kerr's really good in lower leagues but not great in top flight.
    How is that even possible? I ALWAYS buy him. Had him at Inter, Barca, Man Utd, Liverpool and he ALWAYS gets an average rating of 7.50 or higher, +10 goals and +10 assists. Every. Damn. Time.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

  24. #24

    Join Date
    20-09-18
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,790
    vCash
    1115
    I did not know that .

    - - - Updated - - -

    He just seemed to flop for me

  25. #25

    Join Date
    09-04-12
    Location
    Rotterdam, Holland
    Posts
    6,126
    vCash
    555000
    He sucked in CML.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •