Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [STORY] CMSG Ltd - Pass the Parcel

[STORY] CMSG Ltd - Pass the Parcel

CMSG Ltd (Championship Manager Sports Group Limited) is a sports based international investment fund. It works similar to the well known MSI group where the company owns rights to certain players and sells those rights on to interested sports clubs. Most famously they loaned Carlos Tevez to Manchester United over a 2 years period spanning 2007-09 where he helped United win an array of trophies including the English Premier League and the Champions League.

CMSG Ltd owns the rights to an array of managerial talent that are waiting in the wings to prove themselves to prospective employers. Previously, CMSG Ltd had been given the permission to take the reigns at Notts County with a wide range of managers taking to the helm of the oldest football club in the world that transformed form them from League Two minnows to Champions of Europe in a matter of 8 seasons.

Backed by unknown investments from across the globe, rumours are rife that CMSG Ltd corperation will be venturing back into the football world with media speculating that the group will pop up in the lower echelons of the Italian leagues.

It works like this
    • A game will be set-up of CM 01/02 March Update 2009 (Untapanified) consisting of the 5 main European leagues England, Italy, Holland, Germany and Spain.
    • Normal database will be used to reduce the game size as well as the miniumum storage for matches (5000).
    • Various forum members who have signed up will take control of the teams, one at a time.
    • Each participant has a week (7) days at most to complete one season only. If they haven't completed it by that time, the next guy inline will pick up the save game from the previous participant
    • When the season is effectively over (last game of the season or end of May works well), the person in the hot seat must save and upload it for the next player.
    • If CMSG Ltd are sacked whoever is responsible has to own up to their inadequacy post their progress, and the next person takes over at that point, until the end of the NEXT season. Therefore they will be playing for longer than 12 months and applies to domestic jobs only.
    • Players must read and stick to the rules set out below.

Thanks to Shaun for the logo

by Rossinho

Rules

Rules for playing the game

When it’s your turn:
    • Each player will control the club for a maximum of one season at a time.
    • Your season should be completed within 7 days, but everyone is encouraged to be as quick as they can. This thread requires a good momentum to keep the story going.
    • You must use compressed saving. This reduces the size of the file, hence upload/download times.
    • Please use auto save. It’s disappointing when people lose their game and have to replay or give up.
    • You must be using the latest available patch (3.9.68) and an untapanified version of your game.
    • Everyone has other commitments. If you feel you can’t complete the season, please let us know so we can work out how best to progress. You will most likely go back of the list
    • When you’re finished:
    • The game must be saved after the final game of the season, and no later than May 31.
    • The save game file must then be uploaded for the next player (using filefront, megaupload or similar)
    • You DON'T have to stay with the one side, you are free to switch clubs if so desired.
    • You takeover as the existing manager in the game. Edit the nickname to your username for correct identification

Signing players:
    • Each manager has a free reign over signings. However, be sensitive in regards to players that other participants have said they like, or who've been at the club a while...be courteous and engage in some conversation before making anything that looks like a big decision. Following the story should identify such players to you as well as PM’s with previous managers if possible.
    • Please try and cut down your shortlist by the end of the season and only leave players on there that you feel are relevant to the club on your departure. Otherwise, we will be building up pages and pages of possibly useless players.
    • The next manager is not obliged to sign any bosman signings negotiated by the previous manager and hence has the power to cancel any signings that does not figure in their plans. Remember to check the future transfers page out first!

What’s considered cheating:
    • No external utilities such as CMScout can be used. This is for fun, the game can be easy enough as it is so there I s no need to flaw the game. Remember that you’re messing it up for others if you use these.
    • Please do not exploit flaws in the game by offering players who wouldn’t realistically join the club month to month contracts or hijacking bids for any players who may be on loan to your club.
    • Downloaded tactics may not be used. Each player should create their own tactics for their team. It's not meant to be easy and does of course give you greater bragging rights when you do well.

Rules of the thread

This is an interactive thread for dedicated forum members who take a keen interest in the ups and downs of CMSG Ltd. Therefore if you're taking part:
    • One post per season. You can make this post as long as you like but try to refrain from a complete match-to-match review. Make it a summary and highlight key players, runs, transfers, league positions, cup runs and games if you wish. Anything you think is relevant...and try to back up with some screenshots. Using one post means that I can edit the post below so that readers can navigate themselves to relevant seasons more easily once the story starts to take shape.
    • At the start of the season, try to provide at least the following: the board's expectations; your OWN expectations; player predictions and players to look out for.
    • At the end of the season, provide a summary of the season, with screenshots. Also provide some feedback to the next person, with a discussion of which players to keep, sell, and potential signings. Also provide the squad print outs that include Transfers, Fixtures and squad details. The print button for these can be found in the top right corner of the squad screen.

If you want to take part
    Just post your interest in the thread. Please head to post #651 (page 22) so I know you've read this far at least.

We are now in the second round of managers 'Passing the Parcel' please read the thread if you want to continue to participate.

How to Post a Screenshot
    While in CM, press 'Alt + Prt Sc' buttons (Prt Sc is usually next to F12 on your keyboard).
    Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image, delete any white bits around the edge
    Save the file as a JPEG
    Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack or Tiny Pic.
    Post the direct Url to the image here with IMG tags around.

Menubars
    There are a couple of menubars available to use in game should you wish
    Shaun's Menubars
    Rossinho's Menubars

by Rossinho

I emailed my CV to CMSG lets see how it goes and also made a few menubars people may like to use when they play

by Shaun

Rumour has it your CV has been accepted Shaun. Nice to have you on board. Great work on the menubars too! Also got a version of my own I'd like to add, will link posts to first post too, good work mate!

by Rossinho

Honour Role

2001/02 Rossinho - Pergocrema - 2nd Serie C2A (Promotion via Playoffs)
    2002/03 Mark - Pergocrema - 5th Serie C1/A (Promotion via Playoffs)
    2003/04 Noods - Pergocrema - 2nd Serie B (Automatic Promotion)
    2004/05 Croman - Pergocrema - 18th Serie A (Relegation)
    2005/06 The Eejit - Pergocrema - 1st Serie B (Champions)
    2006/07 Jesus - Hereford United - 1st Second Division (Champions); Vans Trophy Runners-Up
    2007/08 Toon - Hereford United - 12th First Division
    2008/09 cafcjgreen - Hereford United - 1st First Division (Champions); League Cup Runners-Up
    2009/10 Churky - Hereford United - 4th Premiership (Champions League Qualification)
    2010/11 CMAdventurer - Hereford United - 6th Premiership (UEFA Cup Qualification)
    2011/12 m0ri - Hereford United - 1st Premiership (Champions), UEFA Cup Champions, F.A. Cup Champions
    2012/13 Mark - SS Lazio - 2nd Serie A (Runners-up); European Cup Champions
    2013/14 The Eejit - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 1st First Division (Champions)
    2014/15 CMAdventurer - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 10th First Division
    2015/16 m0ri - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 1st First Division (Champions)
    2016/17 BigBadBaz - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 10th First Division
    2017/18 Rossinho - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 1st First Division (Champions)
    2018/19 ZanSnake - Ternana - 1st Serie C1/B (Champions)
    2019/20 Red9 - Ternana - 10th Serie B
    2020/21 Buggy1887 - Ternana - 1st Serie B (Champions)
    2021/22 Merkezekrem - Ternana - 4th Serie A (Champions League Qualification)
    2022/23 Kenny Dalglish's Smile - Ternana - 2nd Serie A (Runners-Up); European Cup Champions
    2023/24 DAB1 - Ternana - 1st Serie A (Champions); Italian Cup Runners-Up; European Super Cup Champions; Intercontinental Cup Champions
    2024/25 Mark - Hereford United - 2nd Premiership (Champions League Qualification)
    2025/26 The Eejit - Hereford United/Holland - 1st Premiership (Champions); FA Cup Champions/World Cup Qualification
    2026/27 CMAdventurer - Hereford United/Holland/Brazil - 2nd Premiership (Runners-Up)/World Cup Quarter Finalists (Holland)
    2027/28 BigBadBaz - Hereford United/Brazil - In Play

CMSG Ltd's Manager Waiting List

Round 2 managers shortlist

1. Rossinho
    2. bugg1887
    3. Kenny Dalglish's Smile
    4. Merkezekrem
    5. highflyingdwarf
    6. cafcjgreen
    7. Shaun
    8. emanon
    9. DAB1
    10. AMC
    11. Toon

From time to time, the game corrupts for a variety of reasons. It can be inexplainable and a complete pain in the arse as some seasons will unfortunately not be included in the CMSG Ltd career. However, the work that was carried out will never be forgotten and honourable mentions will be left here.

2012/13 ZanSnake - ADO Den Haag - 1st Dutch First Division (Champions)
    2023/24 highflyingdwarf - Ternana - 6th Serie A; European Super Cup Winners; Intercontinental Cup Winners; Italian Cup Runners-Up

Honour Role

2001/02 Rossinho - Pergocrema - 2nd Serie C2A (Promotion via Playoffs)
    2002/03 Mark - Pergocrema - 5th Serie C1/A (Promotion via Playoffs)
    2003/04 Noods - Pergocrema - 2nd Serie B (Automatic Promotion)
    2004/05 Croman - Pergocrema - 18th Serie A (Relegation)
    2005/06 The Eejit - Pergocrema - 1st Serie B (Champions)
    2006/07 Jesus - Hereford United - 1st Second Division (Champions); Vans Trophy Runners-Up
    2007/08 Toon - Hereford United - 12th First Division
    2008/09 cafcjgreen - Hereford United - 1st First Division (Champions); League Cup Runners-Up
    2009/10 Churky - Hereford United - 4th Premiership (Champions League Qualification)
    2010/11 CMAdventurer - Hereford United - 6th Premiership (UEFA Cup Qualification)
    2011/12 m0ri - Hereford United - 1st Premiership (Champions), UEFA Cup Champions, F.A. Cup Champions
    2012/13 Mark - SS Lazio - 2nd Serie A (Runners-up); European Cup Champions
    2013/14 The Eejit - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 1st First Division (Champions)
    2014/15 CMAdventurer - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 10th First Division
    2015/16 m0ri - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 1st First Division (Champions)
    2016/17 BigBadBaz - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 10th First Division
    2017/18 Rossinho - SC Cambuur Leeuwarden - 1st First Division (Champions)
    2018/19 ZanSnake - Ternana - 1st Serie C1/B (Champions)
    2019/20 Red9 - Ternana - 10th Serie B
    2020/21 Buggy1887 - Ternana - 1st Serie B (Champions)
    2021/22 Merkezekrem - Ternana - 4th Serie A (Champions League Qualification)
    2022/23 Kenny Dalglish's Smile - Ternana - 2nd Serie A (Runners-Up); European Cup Champions
    2023/24 DAB1 - Ternana - 1st Serie A (Champions); Italian Cup Runners-Up; European Super Cup Champions; Intercontinental Cup Champions
    2024/25 Mark - Hereford United - 2nd Premiership (Champions League Qualification)
    2025/26 The Eejit - Hereford United/Holland - 1st Premiership (Champions); FA Cup Champions/World Cup Qualification
    2026/27 CMAdventurer - Hereford United/Holland/Brazil - 2nd Premiership (Runners-Up)/World Cup Quarter Finalists (Holland)
    2027/28 Buggy1887 - Hereford United/Brazil - 1st Premiership (Champions); Copa America Champions
    2028/29 Kenny Dalglish's Smile - Hertha Berlin/Brazil - 1st German Second Division (Champions); German Cup Champions; World Cup Qualification
    2029/30 Merkezekrem - Hertha Berlin/Brazil - 1st German First Division (Champions); UEFA Cup Champions; German Cup Champions; German League Cup Champions; Copa America Runners-Up
    2030/31 AMC - Hertha Berlin/Brazil - 1st German First Division (Champions); European Cup Champions; German League Cup Runners-Up; World Cup Champions

From time to time, the game corrupts for a variety of reasons. It can be inexplainable and a complete pain in the arse as some seasons will unfortunately not be included in the CMSG Ltd career. However, the work that was carried out will never be forgotten and honourable mentions will be left here.

2012/13 ZanSnake - ADO Den Haag - 1st Dutch First Division (Champions)
    2023/24 highflyingdwarf - Ternana - 6th Serie A; European Super Cup Winners; Intercontinental Cup Winners; Italian Cup Runners-Up
    Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 06:15 PM.

Season One - Pergocrema

It had finally been announced. CMSG Ltd were going to be employed by Italian minnows Pergocrema. They had paid the company a rather large amount of money for the initial year ahead which had pretty much crippled the team’s finances. I wasn’t aware on the exact amount that had been paid to CMSG, but what I could see from the notes in front of me was that the club was £133k in debt. I estimated it was probably in the region of £200k, but it was hard to tell. It must have been more than the £30k I was getting. Still I wasn’t complaining, I had been out of the game for a while now and CMSG had offered me a different route back into the managerial community.

When I looked at my job background notes, there wasn’t much description on the town I’d be staying in except that I would be staying in Cremona, of which Pergocrema was a suburb of. I must admit, I was very impressed with the scenery and the apartment I was in over looked the beautiful town centre.

Established in 1932, the football club had a capacity of 3,700, more than enough for Serie C/2A which they were in, and boasted of previous legends that had donned their colours Dario Hubner and Attilo Lombardo. The stadium was falling apart a little, but you couldn’t fault the fans who had given me a great introduction as I was unveiled as the first face of CMSG Ltd.

I wasn’t sure If our fans wore clothes usually, but nonetheless i appreciated the turn out.

Predictions & Expectations
    Having paid a rather large amount for CMSG’s services, I was expecting the board to tell me that they expected a title at the very least, but this wasn’t the case. They understood it may take time and urged me to obtain a playoff place. Looking at the squad I wasn't so sure, but I was quietly confident I could atleast gain a 5th place. And so my career at Pergocrema commenced.

With some help from the solitary scout at my disposal and some searching myself, I managed to bring in seven players that were unattached – Pugliese, Doardo, Ceballos, Picard, Espejo, Pinto and Iglesias. They weren’t anything special, but then again, neither was the team I had at my disposal.

There really wasn’t a great deal of talent in the Pergocrema side, but there were a couple of players who I thought may help us through this coming season. Massimo Brambilla, a veteran of Italian football and at the club on arrival looked like the man that could hold my midfield. Even if it could only be 60 minutes, I had felt that his presence would be worthy in this team. The other man was new Luxembourger signing Yves Picard. At 36 and going on 37 he possessed some qualities that I felt might be good enough to see at least one more season out.

Brambilla & Pericard

The Season
    I opted for a 4132 formation (non wib/wob ) with the Serie C Cup my first games in charge as manager. We won the first 2 games after defeating Pro Sesto (2-1) and then Monza (2-0) before losing to Lumezzane (1-2) and being demolished by Cremonese (2-4). This was going to be a long hard season.

Saying that, we managed to pick up points in our first 4 games before our first loss in the league. Lumezzane undoing us again (2-4). But that was the only loss we incurred in our first 10 games and despite a few draws by the 10 game mark we were sitting in 4th and very much in contention for not only a playoff spot but a Champions spot. During this time, several members of the original squad had become disgruntled that they weren’t getting regular first team football and found themselves transfer listed before being promptly sold. I managed to make £825k out of the player sales and had a approximately £500k at my disposal for reinforcing the side. Unfortunately, there wasn’t anyone good enough interested in playing C2A football that warrented any decent transfer money. Magnani (SC) however did join for £5k from Rieti to bolster my striking options.

We continued our good run of form winning 8 and drawing 2 of next 10 games. We were lucky in some games, but it didn’t matter, we were consistently picking up points and had found ourselves topping the league with a 3 point lead as we passed the half way point of the season.

By this time, January had been and gone and we had some new arrivals at Pergocrema as I finally spent some of the cash I had received a few months back. First in was a Spanish striker, Jordi Tarres, costing a whopping £9k. I know, I was really breaking the bank. But this man had turned out be a steal, repaying me with 2 goals on his debut and a MoM performance. More of him later. The big signing was bringing in Federico Viviani, a solid DC from Pisa. I forked out £190k for this guy and he was instant hit with fans and teammates.

Tarres continued to show why I he was worth every penny of his massive £9k price tag as he continued to light up Serie C2A with his prolific goalscoring. He scored braces in his first 4 games and had earned himself 5 MoM awards in his first 5 games too. Incredible. But despite this valiant effort from the Spaniard, the team as a whole was struggling. Perhaps it was age. The first 11 averaged 30 with four players the ages of 36, 37, 37 and 39. Either way, we slipped up – 5 times. Como were simply unbeatable as they continued to brush past teams and before long they had found themselves not only top of the league, but also had a nice margin on us too. With 4 games to go Como had secured a playoff place and had a 9 point lead, the title race was over. However, a playoff place was almost a certainty to be on the cards for us as we only need 1 more win from our remaining 4 games.

And that win came, along with 2 more and a draw as we qualified for the playoffs. Mission accomplished. Well, almost still had the playoffs to play.

We were drawn against Olbia who we had beaten 4-2 and 2-1 earlier on in the campaign. We only won the first leg by a goal, but came guns blazing in the second and wrapped up a 4-1 win to send us to the final. Could we make it?

We faced Lecco in the final. We had yet to beat Lecco this season having drawn 1-1 away and lost 2-1 at home. Could we beat them in the playoff finals? The first leg at home ended 1-1. Tarres scoring in the first half before Lecco equalised in the second. In the second leg, on loan striker and recently named Serie C2A Player of the Season Tarallo was sent off after 5 minutes. It wasn’t a good start. We now faced Lecco with 10 men for the remaining 85 minutes. 36 minutes in and Tarres had stunned the Lecco crowd, it was 1-0 to Pergocrema! With only 10 men we had the lead. Orders were sent out to sit back and defend which worked well up until the 55th minute when they grabbed an equaliser. We still held tight, counter attacking when possible but playing by new rule “if in doubt, kick it out”. After 90 minutes of full time and 30 minutes of extra time, the game came to a close at 2-2 on aggregate. Our players started celebrating, I was confused. No penalties? Then the fourth official walked over to me and let me know that there was no penalties, the higher seeded team gets promotion! In a moment of madness I planted a kiss on the official’s head proceeded to the mass player pile up that followed the final whistle.

Review
    That was it, the end of my year contract with Pergocrema with CMSG Ltd. I packed my suitcase in my flat, said goodbye to the staff and fans and headed for the aiport. Whilst waiting for my flight back to England, I mulled the incredible past year over in my head:

For the majority of the season I had only been working with 22 players and was thankful that there was no major injuries or a mass plague that affected my team. As not predicted, Brambilla and Picard were not major players in my squad. In fact, loan signings Tarallo who bagged 17 goals, and Bonaventure who gained 13 assists were instrumental throughout the season. It would be good to try and get these guys back on loan. Tarres was the coup of the season. At only £9k, he chipped in with 20 goals in his 22 appearances averaging an impressive 8.36.

Viviani and Tarres are perhaps the only 2 players that I would hold onto from the squad that would merit any playing time next season in Serie C1. I haven’t renewed any contracts and several players can therefore be let go for nothing should the next manager not require them. There are no future signings in the pipeline either as there were none that I considered worthy. It won’t be easy for the next guy, as he will now be in a harder division with pretty much the same squad I had – the only difference being that he has £250k plus TV rights money to play with. Best of luck to him."

by Rossinho

Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:34 PM.

Season Two - Pergocrema

It was a wet and windy day in the West Midlands in England, despite it being the beginning of summer. Forecasts has predicted that it would be the hottest summer for years in the UK, but boy, were they wrong!

I'd spent last night cycling around the local town, trying to improve my fitness for the upcoming Sunday League season. I was soaked and this morning, I was feeling the effects of cycling up a particularly steep bank! Muscles aching, I decided to check my emails and the newest email that had arrived in my inbox at 11.34 last night caught my attention. The contact was listed as CMSG Ltd, I recalled writing an application for a management job at their firm sometime last year, but they had appointed a man who goes by the name of Rossinho to the job. Opening the email, I discovered that Rossinho had now completed his year-long appointment with success and that CMSG Ltd had offered me the job for the forthcoming year! The contract was currently tied to Pergocrema, a team in obscurity in the lower leagues of Italian football, but a team that Rossinho had lead to promotion from Serie C1/B. I thought sod it, I'm gonna go to Italy!

I arrived in Crema, home of Pergocrema and was introduced to the current squad. Before long, I realised that Rossinho had worked wonders to achieve promotion with these bunch of 'footballers'. There were some decent players but there were many old fogeys who I didn't think would have much to offer the club in a new league. I appointed Claudio Ferrante as a coach and we both set about reviewing the squad.

Transfer Activity

To start off with, Massimo Brambilla left to join Lecce on a Bosman, as arranged before the end of the previous season. I also transfer listed Luca Magnani, Jordi Tarres, Luca Giorgetti, Alvaro Ceballos, Piero Pugliese and Luigi Crisopulli. I also chose not to renew Yves Picard's contract and released him. Jordi Tarres was the only one of these players who was a regular last year, having scored 20 goals in 22 appearances but I didn't think he would cut the mustard at a higher level. The loan players (Danilo Russo, Michele Tarallo and Giacomo Bonaventura) also returned to their clubs. There wasn't much by way of finances, but I was happy to accept a £20k bid from Rovigo for Luca Magnani and a £40k bid from Marcianise for Jordi Tarres.

I then set about strengthening a considerably small squad. In came Bas van Herk (GK - Roda JC - £10k), Javier Oliva (GK - Castellon - £50k), Stefan Ferrario (DC - Ravenna - £28k), Marco Zaninelli (DC - Treviso - £50k), Mattia Serafini (DRC - AlbinoLeffe - £80k), Davide Landolfi (SC - Felsina - £9k), Guiseppe Ciaramitaro (SC - Vittoria - £14k), Marco Pelliccia (FRC - Gualdo - £20k), Teto (SC - Binefar - £12k) and Marco Perotta (AMC - Brera - Free). I also explored the loan market to bring in Nicola Donato (DRC - Sassuolo), Ciro Sirignano (DL - Avellino), Nicolas Gorobsov (Vicenza - AMRL) and Manuel Scaglione (Sanremese - DMC). Unfortunately, after 4 games for us, Sirignano was snapped up by Spezia so I then drafted in Nino Marcantonio (FLC - San Gimignano).

A number of players also came through the youth system. These were Alessandro De Rosa (MC), Denis Ferri (AMC), Carlo Zito (MC), Pierpaolo De Paola (AM/FC) and Bruno Mantovani (SC).

That gave me 34 players to call upon for the season with virtually no money left in the bank!

Serie C - The Road To...

We had to kick off the season with the Serie C Cup, having been drawn into Group H along with Castelnuovo, Lumezzane, Sassuolo and Spezia. A team that included 7 of Rossinho's players (40 year old goalkeeper Pierluigi Brivio, defenders Paolo Doardo, Federico Viviani, Andrea Federici and Jonathan Espejo, midfielder Andrea Marconi and forward Roberto Bonazzi) beat Castelnuovo 2-1 (Pelliccia and Zito) and helped to finished 1st in the group after beating Lumezzane 3-0 (Marconi, Bonazzi and Pelliccia), Sassuolo 2-0 (Marconi and Zaninelli) and lastly drawing 0-0 to Spezia.

We then went on a remarkable run:

2nd Round Leg 1 vs Ivrea - 4-1 win (Bonazzi, Zaninelli, Teto x2)
    2nd Round Leg 2 vs Ivrea - 3-1 win (De Paola, Pelliccia x2)
    3rd Round Leg 1 vs Foggia - 4-1 win (Gorobsov, Zaninelli, Pelliccia, De Rosa)
    3rd Round Leg 2 vs Foggia - 3-2 win (Zito, Marcantonio, Viviani)
    Qtr Final Leg 1 vs Cremonese - 0-0 draw
    Qtr Final Leg 2 vs Cremonese - 2-1 win (Baldini og, Pelliccia)
    Semi Final Leg 1 vs Cesena - 1-1 draw (De Rosa)
    Semi Final Leg 2 vs Cesena - 2-0 lost

So close to the final! I was pleased with the result against Foggia and Cremonese though, but Cesena just proved to be too much for us. In fact, Cesena turned out to be something of a bogey side for us.

Consolidation is the Key...

Before the season started, I asked myself what my target was for the season. Having assembled the squad, I felt mid-table was probably the best we could hope for but in fact, the lowest we had fallen during the entire season was 10th! We started off remarkably well with a 5-1 win over Lucchese (De Paola x2, Marconi, Pelliccia, De Rosa), but suffered a 3-1 defeat to Perugia before going unbeaten in the next 3 games and then losing to Verona. This was very much the theme of the season with us having a great start to the season, which saw us flirting with the top 6 before losing form a little and dropping down towards mid-table. However, towards the end of the season, results started to pick up and we eventually secured a play-off place in the last game of the season!

Spoiler:

We were to face Cremonese in the semi-final of the playoffs, but our preparations were hit by an injury to top scorer Marco Pelliccia who would miss both legs and the final if we progressed. We would also be missing Andrea Federici but he wasn't as key as Pelliccia was.

Spoiler:

Cremonese were a team we'd played 5 times this season and we'd managed to beat them twice, drew once but also lost twice.

The first leg was at home. Cremonese had an early goal disallowed and their main midfield man was stretchered off injured. But the game erupted into life on the 45th minute. Marcantonio struck to give us a 1-0 lead, but Coly equalised for the visitors. De Rosa then bagged a goal right before the half-time whistle to restore the lead. We then lost a man in the 2nd half as Viviani was stretchered off and Gorobsov wrapped the win up with a 90th minute penalty. That was 3-1 in the first leg to us...

Armed with a 2 goal advantage, we travelled to Cremona with the news that Viviani would be joining Federici and Pelliccia on the sidelines. Jonathan Espejo was drafted into the line-up to help get us into the final and he did his job! Nicolas Gorobsov scored again as we won 1-0 and progressed into the final with a 4-1 aggregate win!

Gorobsov makes it 8 goals for the season with the only goal at Cremonese

The first leg of the final was to be played at Ravenna's ground and we were playing Ravenna, a team we had failed to beat in two attempts so far this season (drew 2-2 and lost 4-3 in the league). But to give us a timely boost, Andrea Federici and Marco Pelliccia both passed fitness tests and were named in the starting eleven to help us try and make it 3rd time lucky against Ravenna...

Things couldn't have started any better! Marco Pelliccia proved why he was valuable to us this season by scoring on the 17th minute. Then Morganella was sent off two minutes later for Ravenna after holding back Pelliccia. However, we were then reduced to 10 men after De Rosa decided to push Polo over! Fortunately, we didn't lose our lead as De Paola made it 2-0 to us and we won despite a late goal from Gasparini which will give Ravenna hope for the 2nd leg.

Spoiler:

This was it... Our hopes of promotion to Serie B (!) was in our own hands as we welcomed Ravenna to our home turf for the 2nd leg of the final. A win or even a draw here would see us go up. The starting line-up was forced to be changed as De Rosa was suspended after his red card, that meant 18 year old Carlo Zito replaced him at the heart of midfield.

Once again, we took the lead as De Paolo scored again to make it 1-0 after just 4 minutes. But the nerves flared up again as Jose Garro equalised for Ravenna just before half-time. Gorobsov gave us back the lead on the 65th minute but once again Ravenna equalised as Gasparini scored in the 75th minute.

But... That was enough for us to go up! With a 4-3 aggregate win, we were promoted!

Spoiler:

After the celebrations ceased some days later, I had to go home and hand over the reigns to another budding manager. On the plane home, I thought about the squad that the new manager will inherit. Unfortunately, the club was around £200k in debt after the money had dried up last summer. Hopefully being in Serie B will mean a handsome sum in TV revenue for the new manager whilst there were several players who the new boss could also sell to make a profit. I had rejected bids of up to £200k for Jonathan Espejo who I had wanted to keep to ensure promotion instead of clearing the debt. Pierluigi Brivio had also showed no sign of his old age (41!) to be named first choice goalkeeper in the team of the year award! I have the feeling that the new boss will do the same as I did and try and go for a complete overhaul of the squad to compete in Serie B. And fair play to him if so!

by Mark

Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:35 PM.

CMSG turn to 2.0

CMSG Ltd have confirmed Noods 2.0 as manager of Pergocrema for the 2003/04 season.

2.0 will take over for a year, after previous managers Rossinho, and Mark, lead the side to back to back promotions.

Fans' expectations will be high for the new season, but 2.0 remains unfazed about the challenge that lies ahead.

He said: "I'm delighted to have been given the chance to play my part in an exciting new era for the club..

Pre-season

The board expected us to battle bravely against relegation, so I set about building a team that could compete in Serie B. Looking at the squad, it was clear that we needed to strengthen if we were to avoid a season of struggle.

Roberto Bonazzi, Luigi Crisopulli, Andrea Federici, and Lauro Florean were all allowed to leave on free transfers, whilst Jaime Pinto completed a pre-arranged move to Nastic. I then managed to raise £200k worth of transfer funds by offloading Mattia Serafini, Andrea Marconi, Lucas Iglesias, Paolo Doardo and Luca Becchetti.

Now armed with a budget of £600k in total, I began rebuilding the side.

Marco Turati (£35k), Paolo Bravo (£24k), Andoni Andres (£30k), Luca Rea (£30k) and Marco Giordano were brought in to solidify a weak-looking defence. I then added some steel to the midfield by snapping up Maurizio Anastasi (£35k) and Cristian Brocchi (£170k). Wingers Rogerio (£45k), Maicol Panno (£45k), and Nicola Iachement (£55k) added some creativity to the attack, whilst I identified Joaquin Larrivey (£170k) as the striker to lead my 4-5-1 formation.

A new season begins...

Our season began with the Italian Cup, in which we found ourselves grouped with Brescia, Frosinone, and Reggiana. I was simply hoping that the tournament would provide a chance for the players to gel and get in some match practice, although I wouldn't have minded a cup run. In the end, a draw, a win, and a defeat was only only enough for 2nd place in the group, meaning that we were free to concentrate on the League for the rest of the campaign.

The highlight for me was
    naturally my first win as manager, a 3-1 sucess against Frosinone, in which Panno, Brocchi, and Rogerio got the goals. It was an inconsistent set of results, but I was encouraged by the performances as we prepared to start our Serie B adventure.

That began away to Reggiana, the team who four days earlier had beat us 1-0 to end our Italian Cup hopes. We made no mistake this time though, as an early goal from Anastasi got us off to a winning start. Three more wins, two draws, and two defeats followed, leaving us in the top four after eight games.

Last minute heroes...

I was pleased with how the team had gelled and taken to my style of play. Big centre back Marco Turati in particular was looking like an inspired signing, and had already weighed in with three goals, two coming in the same match!

I was also impressed with the amount of late goals we were scoring. Andoni Andres grabbed an 85th minute winner in a 2-1 victory over Pescara, whilst backup striker Davide Landolfi wrapped up a 2-0 win away to Bari with two minutes on the clock, before resucing a 1-1 draw at home to Mantova with ten minutes remaining.

As the transfer window prepared to close, I made two more additions to the squad. Defenders Cesar Caneda (£170k) and Manuel Pablo (£100k) joined the revolution, as I tried to generate some competition for places.

We continued our trend of scoring late goals in the next two games, Joaquin Larrivey scored an 89th minute equaliser in another 1-1 draw at home to Catania, before tucking away an 81st minute penalty to give us a 1-0 win at Chievo.

However, we then hit something of a sticky patch, winning only once in six games. That dreadful
    run came to an end at home to Pisa, where after dominating a match against ten men, it looked as though we'd have to settle for a 1-1 draw, only for Joaquin Larrivey to head in an injury-time winner. Despite recent problems, I was confident that this would give us the boost we needed to revitalise our promotion challenge.

Back to winning ways...

Slowly but surely, our form returned. After disappointing 1-1 draws against Ternana and Nascoli in which we lost the lead, we embarked upon a four match winning
    run to put us back in the top four. The highlight for me was another late winner, this time at Cesena, where a sweet half-volley from Joaquin Larrivey earned us a vital three points. We then faced fellow promotion hopefuls Brescia at home. They took the lead early on in the second half, but Nicola Iachemet soon levelled to secure a draw which kept us on track for Serie A.

During this period, I bolstered my attack by snapping up the out of contract Craig Beattie on a free transfer. Aside from Larrivey, I wasn't convinced by the other strikers in the squad, so I signed Craig in the hope that he would make a solid backup to chip in with a few goals from the bench now and then.

Crunch time...

With fourteen games left in the season, the promotion race was heating up. We comfortabley dispatched of Pescara and Bari, before a confidence-sapping defeat away to Mantova. They scored with their only two shots on target, to leave us in an uncertain frame of mind ahead of our fixture against Serie B leaders Catania. They dominated us, putting on a show for their home fans and taking all three points in a 2-0 defeat. For our next match, at home to Chievo, I pushed Larrivey back into midfield and gave Craig Beattie his first start up front. The ploy worked, as both players got in the scoresheet in a 2-0 win, with Larrivey taking home the MOTM award. That was just the boost we needed ahead of another top of the table clash away to Modena. Rogerio ran the show in the first half, opening the scoring with a low shot from distance, before doubling our lead with a superb free kick. They pulled one back in the second half, but it wasn't enough, as we consolidated our place in the top four.

The final push...

We were getting close to promotion now, it was just a case of holding our nerve throughout our remaining fixtures. Novara and Salernitina were beaten easily enough enough, before we entertained another team at the top, Empoli. In an open match, Maicol Panno fired us into the lead right on half-time, before the visitors equalised soon after the break. Two minutes later and they were in front, and when Joaquin Larrivey missed a penalty with twenty minutes left, it looked like that was it. I was forgetting about our team spirit though, and with seven minutes left, centre back Cesar Caneda blasted in a half-volley to save us a point. However, we then stumbled 3-1 at Reggina, before recovering to beat Piacenza by the same scoreline. That meant that with three games left, we could confirm promotion in our next match, away to Pisa...

My work here is done...

So, to Pisa. We were on the brink now. Brescia had to win to stay in touch with us. It was just as well, as we chose this match to put in probably our worst performance of the season. We were well beaten 2-0, but it didn't matter! Brescia could only draw in their match, meaning that promotion to Serie A had been secured!

There was a party atmosphere inside the stadium for our last home match of the season, against Ternana, in which a Brocchi header and a Larrivey penalty gave us a 2-0 win. It was a perfect end to a perfect season.

Going into the final game, we still had a chance of winning the title, but a 3-1 defeat at Ascoli meant we'd have to be content with a runners up spot, six points behind deserved champions Catania.

Season Review

It's been a great season, and I'm delighted to have achevied promotion. Now it's time for me to step down, and give a new manager the challenge of managing this club in Serie A. We recieved prize money of £1.3million for finishing second, so it looks like that manager will have the funds to build his own team for next year.

As for my team though, special mentions go to Javier Olivia, the goalkeeper who proved himself a worthy first choice after failing to do so under the previous manager, my rocks at the back; Luca Rea, Paolo Bravo, Andoni Andres, Marco Turati, and Cesar Caneda, now club record league apperance maker Jonathan Espejo, first choice midfielder Maurizio Anastasi, wingers Rogerio, Nicola Iachement and Maicol Panno, and top scorer and star striker, Joaquin Larrivey.

Some of these players will no doubt move on, but their contribution to the club will not be forgotten. In all honesty, most of them probably won't make the grade in the top flight, but Larrivey is a class act, and I hope that the new manager keeps hold of him.

My star man...

by Noods 2.0
    Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:35 PM.

OK guys I'm done. Sorry for didn't do good work like Noods, Mark and Rossinho.
    Here are few screenies:
    Spoiler:

I was at the end of season 18 like you see. Start wasn't so bad but I couldn't get to the end.

Spoiler:

My tactic was defensive but I couldn't do a thing against "big" clubs.

Spoiler:

And for end my transfers. Didn't got help with Voronin and other great players to survive in the league.

Spoiler:

by Croman
    Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:36 PM.

The start of my story

Stoke City were safely back in the Premier League after a gap of 18 years that had seen them drop down to League 2. Three promotions in 4 years had rocketed them back up the divisions and put into my gun sight the ultimate goal … winning the Italian, French, Spanish, German and English leagues with teams of only their home nationality. A big ask, but then Churky is full of big asks. Before I could start to plot the downfall of Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and the others, I received an unexpected e-mail. It was from my old mate Pirovatis who I had last heard of a few weeks ago when he was invited to take over the hot seat at Pergocrema. Apparently he had run into difficulties after accepting his contract with some dodgy umbrella company CMSG ltd. To cut a long story short, “Piro” wanted me to drop Stoke and take over at Pergocrema, just for a season. The shadowy figure of AK16 would be in position for next year.

My year in Lombardy started with a refresher on what had happened at the G. Voltini stadium since CMSG ltd had taken over. Rossinho had been the first manager and took them from Serie C/2 to C/1 with an excellent second place. Mark had then managed them for a season that saw further success, beating Ravenna 4-3 in a promotion playoff after a 5th place finish in the league. Noods was next to have a crack and despite the rapid rise, was able to guide Pergocrema to 2nd place in Serie B and a 3rd consecutive promotion before handing over to Croman. It was a massive challenge just to survive and sadly CMSG ltd had their first setback as Pergocrema finished rock bottom with just 17 points from 34 games. It was here that I took over and I was desperate to get going. Would Pergocrema have bouncebackabilty and how would the fallen stars from the Serie A reason react to relegation.

Before meeting my staff and players, I wanted to know what the directors expected. The directors of this shadowy organisation turned out to be 2 men. Massimilliano Aschedamini, who called himself Chairman (but was known behind his back as Mad Max) and Tarcisio Cantoni who claimed the title of Director of Football, but I saw little evidence of any direction or of any football from him, however I wasn’t going to argue with a man nicknamed “The Neutraliser”. I think I caught them at a bad time as, judging by the violin cases they carried, they were off to a string quartet recital. “Just get us a respectable league position” was the only direction that they gave.

A busy summer

I was shocked. This was not the professional Serie A outfit that I was expecting. For a start, the ground was tiny, cramming in just 3,700 when full. The training facilities were in need of major investment and the atmosphere was that of a small town club with small time ambitions.

View of the G. Voltini stadium

That view was confirmed when I met with my staff, Claudio Ferrante who was the one and only coach and Giampaulo Soldati, the physio. I asked them both for reports on every player, then sacked them both. I wanted my own men and was immediately on the phone to agents to sound out who would be interested.

It was time to check out the players and I was in no mood to be messed about by premadonnas who had failed to deliver. The defence had conceded 81 goals in the league, and I new that changes would be required, but I wasn’t prepared for the scale of the problem.

Keepers, I had 2. Abbiatti was 1st choice abut the 35 year old and had a bad season. He may be OK as backup. Oliva was also 35, and was simply not good enough. He would be allowed to stay until a new keeper is found. Van Herk has transfer arranged that I wont be cancelling

Defenders were my nightmare. Maniero, Pugliese, Del Grande and Cebalos are not good enough. Chester is the pick of the centre backs but has an injury history and stamina of 8. He would be allowed to go. Andreas, Giordano and Turati are OK as backup. Rea is my only fullback (right sided) and would be considered as backup at best. I need a complete defence !

Midfield was more promising with Espejo the pick of the DMs. I had been told that he has a recurring injury so will be sending him for 2 months rehab. He should be back before the new season. Andreas would be OK as backup. Neither can play midfield but both could cover at DC. Anastasi is too old and Alliotta not good enough. Leto looks to be a very good on left wing, while Sivakov is good on right, although he may be better in central midfield. Iachemet can provide cover on either flank Vailatti and D’Agostino are strong central partnership that I am looking forward to see in action. I am expecting goals from Vailatti’s stunning free kicks. De Rosa could stand in at central midfield in an emergency, however Pugliese, Ferri, Guerra, De Paula, Zito and Perotta not good enough and transfer listed. Overall, I have the basis of a good midfield.

Attack and Pozzi was an immediate standout. There are goals in him for sure. Calabro and Larrivey should be good enough to support. There was also Andriy Voronin, a player that I dislike intensely. I don’t care how good he may look or what reputation he carries, he can GTF out of my team. 8 goals in 34 games didn’t help his lost cause !

Alexiy reacts to being axed by The Eejit

Craig Beatie is backup at best, as is Colak. Landolfi is not good enough at this level.

Before the first league game, 16 players had departed, mostly for free, however Voronin brought in £1m and James Chester £190k. The board had obviously had a very good recital with their quartet as they invested nearly £1m and that took us out of the red and gave me a modest transfer budget. It was added to by £300k for Espejo who came back from rehab still injured. First call though was the free transfers where I picked up most of the players I was looking for
    Spoiler:

A couple to highlight are Pakistani international DRC Mattie Earnshaw, Aussie internationals Rhys Williams and Adrian Madaschi, Solomon Islands international striker Lance Morrell and Hungarian international keeper Peter Gulacsi. There are also a couple of youngsters in Santaelena and Izzo who I will be following with future managers.

By now, I also had a full set of coaches, led by my assistant Mark Byrne and a full set of scouts who had been sent to find the best talent available. I had also settled on a 3-1-4-1-1 formation primarily because I had not found any fullbacks.

Spoiler:

The big story of the summer, was the persistent rumours that Francisco Totti might be heading for Pergocrema after leaving Roma. In the end it didn’t happen but we did get within £2K per week of his wage demands. Although 35 his stamina was still good so even if he could only last an hour, he would have made mincemeat of this league. He ended up as a coach at Napoli.

One that got away

Out of the blocks

The season started out with the Italian cup and we had drawn Frosinone, Piacenza and Triestina. With 2 games at home it was a group I thought we should win. An opening draw and 2 wins was easily enough and we would entertain Serie A Modena in the home leg of the first round proper. The league started with a visit from Bologna and it was a furious opening that saw 3 goals in the 1st 8 minutes D’Agostino and Madaschi for us sandwiching one from Osvaldo. Mudingayi equalised before Pozzi and Castellazzi put us 4-3 up with just 35 mins on the clock. Bizarrely that was the end of the scoring ! Further wins over Rimini and Ravenna followed before Triestina took revenge for the cup exit. Wins over Reggiana, Brescia (Pozzi hat-trick) and Verona with draws against Ascoli and Empoli completed a very successful opening that took us top although Salernitana and Bologna have games in hand.

Spoiler:

Modena had won both games in Serie A, but this was a very different Pergocrema that faced them in the cup. De Rosa scored the only goal of the first leg and the tie was safe when we awarded an 8th minute penalty in the second leg that saw Modena reduced to 10 men. Rudea added another for good measure. It was tense watching the draw as the big teams now joined in, and even Mad Max managed a smile when we were picked alongside Juventus, with the second leg at home.

Striker crisis ? What striker crisis ?

It had started a few weeks earlier. While Pozzi was banging in the goals as predicted, none of his strike partners were showing much sign of scoring. Larrivey, Colak and Morrell had all been tried, as had AMCs Sivakov and Rudea but none gave me any confidence. Despite the £1.1M transfer of Craig Beatie to Stoke (NO WAY !) my £1m transfer kitty had been almost wiped out in wages (Note to future managers - Spend the money when you can) so I brought in Guido Marilungo on loan from Sampdoria with instant results. However 2 goals in 2 games brought him to attention of the Serie A scouts and with the transfer window closing I needed a backup. My scouts had uncovered Rafaele Volpi who had rattled in 51 goals in 54 starts for Orvieto. My scouts had unsettled him and when his transfer request was granted, I bid my maximum £250K which was accepted.

The inevitable bid for Marilungo came in, from Napoli, but with 1 day before the window closed, West Ham came in for Volpi. The window closed and my transfer was cancelled, I tried to rebid, but my budget was now just £190K and it was rejected. To cap it all, Pozzi would be out for 2 weeks with a training injury.

Pozzi Injured

There was further transfer activity to report with Abbiati, Oliva and Turati all departing while Paoloni arrived from Frosinone as backup keeper and Dutch DMC Kees Kwakman came, partly for his name, but mainly to shore up the midfield. I picked up a couple of usefull youngsters and a few loan signings to bolster the squad.

Despite being reduced to 3 fit strikers, none of whom could score, the midfield of Leto, D’Agostino, Vailatti and Sivakov new where the net was, and set us on a 7 game winning run that took us clear at the top. This run included a shock12th minute Sivakov penalty win at Stadio Olimpico in Turin. It may not have been the Juventus 1st team, but it was a stunning result. Before the return leg, we travelled to Catania who appeared to have an extra player, dressed in black we competed 12 v 11, but when it became 12 v 10 after just 14 minutes our winning run was over. I expected nothing less when travelling to Sicily, however Mad Max and The Neutraliser were very upset and took their violins to another recital to de-stress.
    Juventus came to Crema looking for their second string to repair the damage, and Brienza levelled the tie in the first half. A goal each side of the interval for Sivakov put us firmly in control and despite a late equaliser to set up a nail biting finish, it was enough for Pergocrema to go through 3-2 on aggregate. The reward being a 2 leg quarter final against Inter. Despite young striker Izzo opening his account with an 80th minute equaliser, Inter had enough in the tank to secure a 2-1 win and it looks like an uphill struggle for the return in Milan.

Further league wins over Salernitana, Lecce, Marsala (5-0) and Genoa followed by a 3-3 draw at Chievo saw us move clear at the top of the league, and Serie A is looking ever closer.

Spoiler:

The midfield from left Leto, D’Agostino, Vailatti and Sivakov

Hanging on

With the transfer window reopened, I was able to bolster the squad, particularly the attack which was relying heavily on Nicolla Pozzi. With no money to spend, I was once again looking at the free signings and set up a deal with the old Morroccan war horse Nabil Baha. He was to pay an immediate dividend with 4 goals in 4 games while Pozzi had another injury. Allesio Stamilla was brought in to challenge Leto for the left wing position while 2 further loan signings ensured there was now competition for every position.

It was an indifferent start to the year as we struggled to beat Genoa before dropping points to Chievo, Bologna and Ravenna. Bologna closed to within 5 points at one stage as our form dipped badly. We did have the glamour tie at the San Siro where we were far from outplayed although goals from Ribery and Ibrahimovic sealed the win for Inter. The gate receipts of over £100k put us back in the black, and I used the funds to secure new contracts for Pozzi, D’Agostino and Vailatti. Scouts had been sniffing and offers were getting close to their Min Fee clauses.
    The turning point for our form came in the home game against Bresica. This is probably the best opening I have ever made to a match !

Spoiler:

Pozzi and his goals returned, and with Kwakman snuffing out all attacks, a 6 game winning run extended the lead to 10 points with 10 games to play and only 8 points away from promotion.

Spoiler:

Points win prizes

3 games later and promotion back to Serie A was confirmed. A win against 2nd placed Catania and a draw with Mantova set up a home game with Bari. A Pozzi brace was enough to win the game and when news came through that Rimini had only managed a draw with Verona the mathematics were over and AK16 could look forward to plotting his assault on Serie A. 2 games later and the title was also decided. Vailatti and Pozzi scored in the first 8 minutes to send the Cremaschi into rapture.

Supporters celebrate at the final whistle

After the game a spokesperson for the supporters stuck 2 fingers up at Rossinho, Mark, Noods and Croman

I think this was harsh on 4 excellet managers, but I decided to invite her back to my flat in town to discuss positions, tactics and stamina.

The final 5 games were played out without any incident and finished with a 3-1 win against Chievo with Pozzi and Vailatti scoring in injury time. The final table showed a new points and goal scoring record for Serie B

Spoiler:

Thoughts on the future

Although this was a very successful season and I fulfilled the aim of returning to Serie A, it does to an extent mask over some big problems. If we can hold onto D’Agostino, Vailatti, Kwakman and Pozzi then we have the foundations of surviving in Serie A. Although they have a couple of years to run on their contracts, Kwakman has a £3.5M release clause and the others have £10M clauses. Already though the scouts are sniffing and I have had to reject £2M for Vailatti who is now upset and wanting to leave. Also need to watch Pozzi’s fitness as he had 3 injuries that saw him mis 9 league games.

The defence and keepers are a big concern. I think that Gulacsi just edges Paoloni for the gloves, but it is close, and Gulacsi is prone to the occasional 4 or 5 rating. Young Santaelena is the standout defender with an average of 7.54 from 22 starts. None of the others stoodout, and Rhys Williams was a disappointment. Work will need to be done and there may be an early Christmas present in the Future Transfers. I doubt that a 3 man defence will be robust enough in Serie A, so I would be looking for full backs as a priority.

Of the other players the wingers Stamilla, Leto and Sivakov should easily cope with the step up and Madaschi never let me down when coming off the bench. Izzo, Antonini and Pellizaro are all young and I’ll be watching how they progress.
    The big problem is the finances. I made a profit of £3.5M on transfer fees and we still made an overall loss of over £500K. The 3700 seats are simply not enough to support a team at this level and without selling all of the star players, there is never going to be the funds to add additional capacity. I did manage to have the training facilities upgraded to Awful ! Assuming that Mad Max and The Neutraliser don’t raid the local bank, I have applied for the vacant job at Juventus. We are ranked 4th in Italy, so you never know (although I don't know what our nationality is).

Finally, my player of the season has to be Kees Kwakman. It is not easy to get good ratings at DMC, but the Dutchman quietly went about his business and stifled attacks before they reached the defence.

Managers player of the year

by The Eejit

9.45am

Sunlight filtered through the small opening between my curtains. The bright light splashed upon my face, forcing me awake. I squinted and cursed myself for hastily closing the curtains the night before; I was having such a good sleep too. Yawning, I pushed myself out of my somewhat comfortable bed and perched on the side. My head suddenly began to spin and my stomach felt all fizzy. I got up and ran to the bathroom. Several minutes later, I went back to where I was previously sat. Groaning, I rubbed my eyes and reached for my phone.

“Lets see what we’ve got here then..” I checked my sentbox to see if I had drunkenly sent a text to someone the night before. “Hmm. ‘I gate zou so mubh’ sent to.. whoops.. better text Lee and apologise for that.. I’m sure he knows he’s my cutie pie..”

After I’d finished my ritual of sending apologetic messages to anyone I might have offended the night before, I moved onto my inbox. “Huh? What’s this? I don’t recognise this number..”

Code:

Dear Mr. Christ, You have been chosen. A car will arrive at 1400 later today. We have your wife and kids.

I laughed. “Probably number_25 again. He’s pretty good at this bullshitting thing. I don’t even have a wife or any kid either. Maybe I should give Obama a call and see if he should get involved?”. Deleting the message, I pushed myself upright, my head somewhat stable, and checked my alarm clock. The big red numbers told me it was only 9:45.
    “I need a cold shower and some aspirin” I mumbled to myself.

The Eejit

I lapped up the last of the beans on toast and sat back feeling content. I leaned against the back of the chair, head pointing towards the ceiling and closed my eyes. “How I hate this ‘morning after’ feeling..”.

My eyes snapped open as I heard a light knocking at my front door. “Who could that be?” I wondered as I made my way gingerly towards the noise. I listened again. The same light knocking came from the door in front of me. I opened the door to see a rather simple looking man staring back at me.

“Err.. oh yeah.. Mr. Christ I presume?” the man said in a rather boring tone.

“Yes I am. What can I do for you?“

“I’m best known as ‘The Eejit’ and I’m afraid you have to come with me.” With that, he advanced towards me rather athletically and pushed a wet rag over my mouth. My vision went blurry and I struggled to regain consciousness. My limbs wouldn’t function and my eyelids began to shut out all light..

The Beginning

I opened my eyes, dazed and confused, and stared into the dark expanse before me. “HELLO!?” I cried out hoping that someone would return my call. A light flickered on and off above me causing my headache to worsen. Suddenly a large click echoed from somewhere in front of me and the generator started up in the distance. Bright lights flashed on, illuminating the hall and banishing the darkness that had once occupied it. The lights were blinding and I tried to shield my eyes. However, my hands were tightly bound behind my back and I could only press my chin into my chest and hope for the pain to go away. A manic laughter reverberated around me and fear welled up inside me. I began to shout at the top of my voice, trying to rid the laughter from my ears. I just wanted it to end!

The laughter died down and the sound of footsteps came towards me. I tried to lift my head up and see who it was but the bright lights enveloped the person before me, causing them to be almost angel like.

“Mr. Christ. As I stated quite clearly in the text message, you have been chosen. I am part of CMSG Ltd - a sports based international investment fund. It works similar to the well-known MSI group where the company owns rights to certain players and sells those rights on to interested sports clubs. CMSG Ltd owns the rights to an array of managerial talent that are waiting in the wings to prove themselves to prospective employers. And we believe that you’re a prospective employee”.

“Me? Wha-? I don’t understand. Why me of all people.. I applied for the project years ago. Why now?”

“Well Mr. Chirst, we had to do it on a first come, first serve basis and unfortunately you were a bit late on your application. There were 5 other applicants before yourself. However, the time has come to pass the responsibility on to you. We want you to undertake a one-year career at the club of our choice. Do you accept?”

“Uh.. Well.. I..” I couldn’t help but stutter; everything was moving so quickly. “Sure. I mean.. Well.. Can you at least untie me first? Oh and where will I be managing? I don’t really like pasta.. or pizza. I heard the previous managers had done well for a small Serie C club”.

There was no reply. Suddenly, the lights went out and pain exploded across my forehead. Reality began to fade once again and let myself drift into a state of bliss..

The Appointment

It’s been almost a year now since I remember that piece of news becoming a breaking story on Sky Sports News. After all, Hereford had just finished 3rd in the Third Division with 78 points and were celebrating promotion. However, sources close to the club had revealed that there had been trouble between the previous manager and the chairman which had resulted in the manager finding a new job. The chairman had also struck a deal with a sports based international investment fund known as CMSG Ltd and had let the new company decide the next manager.
    That’s where I came into the picture.

During a brief meeting with the chairman I was handed a small note with my name scribbled on the front. I decided to wait until the meeting had concluded before having a look what was written on it. The chairmen had told me we had adequate funds in kitty for a few transfers and that if I needed anything, he would try his best to provide it. I thanked him, bided him farewell and left for my office. Upon reaching my office I opened the small note I had been handed.

Code:

Dear Mr. Christ. Welcome to your new club. Enjoy your stay. Oh and we expect you to battle bravery against relegation this season
    With a massive sigh of relief, I went to meet my backroom staff and to access the squad that I had inherited. The backroom staff consisted of my assistant manager, John Trewick, 1 coach, 2 scouts and a physiotherapist. I decided that the coach wasn’t good enough to remain at Hereford and sent him on his way. I also did the same with one of the scouts. However I decided to keep the remaining scout, Ron Jukes, as he looked like a useful addition to my staff.

Wheeling and Dealing

After a comprehensive list of my players health from the remaining physio Neil Evans, I decided to send Stephen O'Leary for physiotherapy after it was reported that he was carrying a groin strain which could affect him later on in the upcoming season. Consequently, this put him out of action for two weeks. It wasn’t a major blow as the 05/06 season had just concluded and I knew he would be back in time for our pre-season friendlies.

Next I moved onto my squad and asked John Trewick to file reports on all the squads progress. After reading through the notes that Trewick had compiled I decided to cut the wage bill and transfer the following players: Andy Logan (DLC), James Marsh (DC), Matt Mills (DC), Luke Hickie (MC), Mark Baker (AMRC), Paul Reid (AM/FL), Michael Barnes (AMRL), Tom Pope (SC), Ander Lekue (MC) and Jack MacLeod (MR). All players left on free transfers to numerous clubs. I also released Marvin McCoy (MC) and James Miller (SC) as I believed they would not feature in my plans for the future.

With the squad pruned, I went about searching for some bargains. The step up to Second Division would be a shock for most players and I didn’t think we had enough talent to survive. John Trewick and I had already identified that we needed a backup keeper as we only had Michael Jordan and he looked unstable. Eventually I signed Jamie Speare from Accrington as a backup for £7,000. He had also agreed to help coach the squad and so became a valuable asset. In addition, I signed Ben Smith from Brighton for £140,000 and Joe Murphy from Conventry for a whopping £625,000. I decided that Joe Murphy would be my number one keeper for the season and would share the gloves with Ben Smith.

The defence was surprisingly good and the only signing I made was Richard Rose from Leyton Orient for £75,000. Rose could play anywhere across the back and I believed he would play an important role for Hereford.

The midfield was my biggest problem. We lacked creativity on both wings and the only quality we possessed in midfield was in the form of Toumani Diagouraga. As a result I brought in a total of 4 players to bolster the midfield and form some healthy competition for places. In came Adnan Ahmed from Tranmere for just £14,000 (MC), Francesco Carratta from Blackpool for £350,000 (MC), Jason Moxon from Scunthorpe for only £14,000 (AML) and Max Gradel from Crewe for an expensive £425,000 (AMR).

To help strengthen the strike force I managed to attract Aala Kubail. He joined on a free transfer and I knew he would play an important role in the upcoming season. I also managed to sign Warren Feeney from Tranmere for just £90,000. He would be my backup striker. To add a bit of versatility to both my midfield and strike force I snapped up Nathan Woolfe from Bristol Rovers (FLC) on a loan deal. Later on in the season, Woolfe became a permanent member of the Hereford squad and signed for £120,000.

The biggest signing of the summer came in the form of ex-England international Paul Scholes. He joined Hereford on a free, accepting a 3-year-deal and just £900 p/w. He also agreed to help with coaching the team. However, Scholes decided that it was time to hang up his boots a few weeks before the season kicked off and so never stepped on the pitch in Hereford colours.

Pre-Season Problems

We had two friendlies arranged for the pre-season: a home fixture against Bury and an away fixture at Oxford. After deciding I would go for a 4-5-1 formation, we were up against Bury first. A disappointing performance saw us get demolished 3-1 with new signing Carratta getting on the scoresheet. Deciding that my 4-5-1 formation wasn’t good enough I developed a new 4-2-4 with an attacking midfielder on the left and the right. The change of tactic seemed to do the trick and we managed to come away winners at the Kassam Stadium with a 2-1 victory.

Here We Go..

We began our new life in Division Two with a trip to Mansfield. Sticking with my 4-2-4, we left the changing rooms brimming with confidence. However, Mansfield notched two early goals (2’ and 9’) and we were left winded. We were given a ray of hope when Simon Johnson made it 2-1 in the 57’ but we just couldn’t find the final goal to seal us a point. A new start to my career and already we had a loss.

However, the squad soon gelled together and we went on to beat Swansea (2-1), Bristol Rovers (1-0), Stockport (2-1) and Woking (3-2) before dropping 2 points to Swindon (1-1). Our streak continued as we beat Burnley (2-1), demolished Shrewsbury (3-0) and had an entertaining 3-3 draw against Wycombe. I was delighted at the way the team was performing and the good performances kept pouring in. A 2-1 win at Grimsby followed by a 0-0 draw with Charlton meant that we were sitting in 2nd position, just behind Swansea. We then went on to demolish Macclesfield 3-0.

12 games into my new career and we were sitting on top of the table. I could not believe it. We continued our winning ways and squeezed 3 points out of Aldershot (1-0), managed a draw with Southend (2-2), another draw at home to Leyton Orient (0-0), a 2-1 victory against Peterborough and a battering of Cardiff (3-0).

Our streak finally ended after Tranmere beat us 2-1.
    The team did not seem phased that we had lost our unbeaten streak and bounced back to seal 3 points at Plymouth (2-1) and record the seasons biggest with against Carlisle (4-1). Unfortunately, just as we had got the ball rolling, Swansea managed to steal 3 points off us with a 1-0 win. To round off the year, we beat Bristol Rovers (2-1), Northampton (3-0) and were hammered by Mansfield who had already beat us once before (0-3).

Bye, Bye Ben

Before our defeat to Mansfield, Crewe poached our main striker Benjamin Hutchinson. Hutchinson had been voted the ‘Fans Player of the Year’ last year and was forced to leave due to a minimum fee release clause in his contract. Hutchinson appeared 28 times scoring 10 goals, chipping in with 2 assists and receiving 3 Man of the Match awards. He averaged 7.54 and left for £450,000.

Welsh Worries

After New Year, we faced Stockport, Walsall and Burnley. It was clear that ‘new year syndrome’ had taken effect after we were outplayed and beaten 2-1 by Stockport. We then went on to draw away at Walsall (0-0) before finally picking up 3 points against Burnley in an exciting 4-2 victory.

Swansea had pulled ahead of us and had been in contention for first place all season. Then again, we had a game in hand over them and I was hopeful that we would be able to take advantage of this and put a bit of daylight between us. We managed to pick up six points after we beat Shrewsbury 3-0 and Derby 3-1. However, we were unlucky against Woking and a superb performance from the goalkeeper caused us to suffer a humiliating 3-0 defeat.

We managed to rescue a point away to Swindon after going behind twice, notched wins against Wycombe (3-1), Macclesfield (2-1) and Grimsby (1-0) and drew to Aldershot (1-1).

By now, we had leapfrogged Swansea and still had a game in hand. Peterborough were next to face us and were bulldozed 3-1. We also picked up 3 points at home to Southend in a 2-1 win. However, we lost 6 valuable points in two consecutive matches: a 2-0 defeat away to Derby and a 2-1 defeat against Leyton Orient. Thankfully, we came back strong in the next match against Plymouth and ran out 3-0 victors.

Swansea had surprisingly slipped down to 4th place on goal difference and the top 6 had become quite tight. Only 4 points separated 2nd from 6th. In addition, we now had a 4 point lead over 2nd place and a game in hand. A win away at Charlton would seal a playoff place for us.

The Final Countdown

7 games left and everything to play for. We travelled to Charlton, spirits high and confidence soaring. It took just 14 minutes before Nathan Woolfe put us ahead with a superb shot that almost ripped through the back of the net. Charlton fought hard to get a goal back and panic began to set in. Samuel Oji got himself sent off in the 20th minute after pushing Adam Barrett in the chest and Richard Jackson, our captain, got his second yellow card of the match 3 minutes before half time. This meant we would have to play another 45 minutes with a tiring 9-man team. I went ballistic at the two players who had got themselves sent off and sent my suffering team out onto the pitch. Amazingly, they managed to hold on for another 45 minutes and we sealed three points. After the match, news came in that both Derby and Tranmere had lost and Swansea could only manage a draw at Walsall. This meant we were in the playoffs!

We stretched our run of wins to 5 after beating Cardiff (4-2), Tranmere (2-0) and Carlisle (2-1). After the Carlisle match the fans exploded onto the pitch. I stood there at the sideline dazed and confused as people slapped me on the back and ruffled my hair. What was going on?

I couldn’t believe it. We’d done it! We’d managed not only to survive in a new division, but also win it with 2 games to go! My team paraded around Edgar Street with smiles of extreme pleasure and my vision started to become blurry with tears as I heard my name being chanted around the ground. I wanted this moment to last forever.

However, we still had two games to play and I decided to let my first team have a well deserved break for the remaining two games. The reserve team ended up losing the next match against Walsall (2-1) but responded brilliantly in the last game of the season to clinch a 3-1 victory over Northhampton.

Oh, I Almost Forgot

I bet you wondered when I would mention how we did in the cups.

The League Cup
    The first round saw us drawn against Charlton at home. Charlton went 1-0 up within 33 minutes and help on until half time. However, new signing Hubail managed to pull one back in the 66th minute to level the scores and go into extra time. In extra time, Hutchinson put us in the lead with a shot in the 96th minute but McLeod levelled the scores with just 6 minutes to go. The match went to penalties and a tense affair saw us net all 5 penalties whilst Charlton could only manage 4. We were through to the second round.

We had managed to draw Stoke in the second round and would be playing at their ground. Stoke had managed to survive in the Premier League for 5 seasons and still possessed a strong team. Beattie managed to put Stoke in the lead after scoring from a corner. Half time and we were losing. The team went out and continued to work hard. Hutchinson managed to save us once more and scored in the 68th minute. The match went to penalties and the pressure got to the team – we missed three of our five penalties and we crashed out.

The FA Cup
    Unlike the League Cup, we were a bit more successful in the FA cup. We beat Walsall in the first round (3-1), Colchester in the second round (4-1), Peterborough in the third round (2-1) and Barnsley in the fourth (2-1). The 5th round saw us drawn against Reading – another Premiership side. Things got off to an explosive start as Nicky Hunt got himself sent off in the 6th minute giving us the advantage. Unfortunately, we could not capitalise and Fernández González put Reading ahead in the 32nd minute.

However, after half time, Diagouraga and Rose managed to put two past Almunia and we progressed to the quarterfinals! I watched the draw with butterflies and hoped we didn’t get another Premiership team. Luck wasn’t on my side and Newcastle were pulled out of the hat first, followed by Hereford which meant we didn’t have the home advantage. To add to our worries, Newcastle were sitting comfortably on top of the Premiership.

Things started well and we managed to keep Newcastle from scoring for a whole 45 minutes. However it was clear that they had worked hard on maintaining high levels of fitness and I could only watch as my players got tired over the course of the game. The deadlock was broken when Sychev played a cleaver one-two and blasted the ball into the roof of the goal. Things got worse after we lost possession from the kick off and Sychev found his way into our box again and made it 2-0 to Newcastle. I sat there, my head in my hands and hoped we could find something to get us back in it. However, Newcastle increased their lead in the 72nd minute and it was all over. We’d done well to get to the quarterfinals but we just didn’t have enough talent.

Vans Trophy
    Southern Section:
    We kicked things off with wins against Charlton (AGAIN! (3-1)), Wycombe (1-1, won on penalties) and Brentford (1-0) to secure a place in the Southern Section Final. We faced Torquay over two legs with the first leg giving us an away advantage. We managed to win the first leg 1-0 and the second leg 2-1. We’d managed to get another final.

The Final:
    The final saw us playing against a strong Derby team. However, I wish we had never got here in the first place. Derby opened the floodgates within 6 minutes and continued to put the ball in the back of our net. Goals in the 9’, 28’, 34’ and 45’ meant that Derby had already won the trophy by half time. I pulled out a bottle of vodka cleverly disguised in a hip flask and drank it within 3 long gulps. I don’t remember much of the second half but all I know is that we managed to get a consolation goal. I left Wembley Stadium feeling deflated and embarrassed. I just wish we’d got another piece of silverware before the end of the season.

Summary:

Well after a VERY long post, I must first apologise. The team did superbly and I’ve added a few presents on the ‘future transfers’ list. Good luck to the next manager and lets hope you can lead Hereford to glory once more!

by Jesus

Sorry for the lack of screenshots, I didn't think to take some as the season was progressing. I got into a real obessive bout of CMing palying this one.

Toon with the Bulls

As the fans bid farewell to Jesus Christ as he faded into the heavens on a golden suitcase it was time for a new manager to take the reigns. Step forward Steven 'Toon' Hadlow, could he continue to lead the club onwards and upwards as they began life in the First Division?

The Board were expecting a respectable position this season. I can't deny that as I looked around the facilities and finances of the club I didn't see much more ambition beyond that but I hoped we could at least challenge for a play-off spot and, if nothing else, improve the squad for next years Division One challenge.

Making a mark on the squad
    I am something of a control freak when it comes to taking over clubs, I always like to stamp my mark in the transfer market. This is no disrespect to Jesus but rather I just like to make my own signings (and then at least it's my fault when it all goes wrong!). The club had some decent resources and I began to use them. My first signing was that of Getuilo Vaca on a free tranfer. The 30 year old was (is) a Bolivian international and I felt he would add some useful depth. I did cancel a number of incoming transfers but a couple that were still completed were the moves of Tamas Kadar and Robert Snodgrass from Newcastle and Leeds.

My next capture came as something of a surprise to the fans as I managed to capture 33 year old Robbie Keane following his release by Spurs. Also coming in on a free was 23 year old ex Arsenal and current France striker Gilles Sunu, something of a coup I thought. I'd also sent the scouts out to look for new players. In Southern Europe they found a 26 year old Turk named Ahmet Erdogan.This lad had good stats and thanks to his part English nationality I was able to complete a £50,000 signing.

Inevitably with all these incomings there was quite a few outgoing also as Jimmy Phillips, Stephen O'Leary, Shane Clarke, Andrew Byrne, Samuel Oji, Robbie Threlfall, Liam Shepherd, Simon Johnson and Dean Beckwith all made moves away from Edgar Street. Midfield was an area that was concerning me. Going some way to easing my squad worries was the addition of 34 year old veteran midfielder Yossi Benayoun after he left Arsenal. A somewhat more expensive signing was Danish international winger Lasse Schone. The midfielder joined the club from Dutch giants PSV for £700,000. Irish international defender Brendan Moloney and former French Under 21 Damien Plessis also made free transfer moves. My scouts had also uncovered another gem, this time in Scandinavia. Kelwin Igwe is a defender with 4 caps for Nigeria. For only £60,000 I was able to sign this promising 26 year old from Danish semi-professional side LFA. I felt I now had a good squad to progress into the season with. Former Arsenal man midfielder Nacer Barazite also joined us on loan until October.

A flying start!
    After a strong pre-season we began with a home game against potential title challengers Southhampton. Two goals from Robbie Keane were enough to give us a promising opening day win as we claimed a 2-1 win. My modified 3-5-2 system looking like a good bet. Our second game was also eventful. We travelled to the Riverside Stadium to play a dangerous looking Middlesbrough side. We started well as Sunu netted his first goal for the club after only ten minutes. However it all went pear shaped four minutes later as 'keeper Joe Murphy gave away a penalty and was sent off after brining down Afonso Alves. Digard netted the spot kick and it was looking bleak. However Keane, now the lone striker managed to scramble home a goal to give us the lead and through dogged defending we held onto that goal for the rest of the match!

We went on to an establish a five game winning run with impressive 2-1 away wins at Bradford, Leicester as well as Division three side Hartlepool in the Carling Cup. Run-away early leaders MK Dons finally put an end to the run as a single goal was enough to see them claim a 1-0 win at Stadium MK, a Richard Rose sending off was inconsequential. Keane was the star as he had started the season with 5 goals in 6 games.

Spoiler:

Getting jittery?
    Unfortuantely that defeat signalled the end of our dominating run. A poor 1-1 draw at Barnsley was a dissapointing result. This was quickly followed by a defeat away at Reading which brought our Carling Cup endeavours to an aprubt halt. We managed to scrape a pair of 2-1 home wins against Bolton and Tranmere in the league mainly thanks to the efforts of Benayoun and Keane. A 1-1 draw at home to QPR left me fuming as 90th minute equaliser destroyed all our hard work. However, yet another 2-1 win at home to Sunderland was a morale booster as North Eastern side had a very strong team on the park.

Spoiler:

Away day blues
    So our home form was not too bad, but our away performances were spiralling downwards despite all my best efforts. Part of the problem was our keepers inexplicably letting in everything that was thrown at them. Both keepers Ben Smith and Joe Murphy performing with infuriating inconcistency. The arrival of 32 year old Swedish veteran Emil Malmqvist did little to help as he fell into the same malaise!

By now we were drifting out of the automatic spots and into the playoff scrap as a ridiculous 4-2 reverse at Blackpol (despite having 17 shots to their 7 which saw our keeper Malmqvist get a 3!) as well as harsh 1-2, 0-1 defeats at Doncaster and Wigan left us rueing what might have been. Our form at home was still impressive however as a 4-1 win against Fulham, 5-1 rout of Coventry and 4-0 defeat of Leeds left the home crowd delighted. I was at a loss to correct the problem.

Spoiler:

Christmas is overrated
    It wasn't the way I'd wanted to come into the extremely busy festive period but here we were. We started in the worst possible manner as we sunk to a depressing 0-3 home defeat at the hands of Bristol City. It was a crushing result as our keeper got a 6 and yellow card whilst theirs claimed an 8. As it turned out that result was to set the stage for what was to be a very gloomy Christmas in Hereford.

Between the 2nd and 29th of December we proceeded to take a truly dismal 6 points from a possible 18. It wasn't promotion form and we plummeted out of the top six for the first time. Surely 2008 would see better days?

New Years resolutions
    Thankfully 2008 began well as a single goal from Ivory Coast winger Max Gradel saw us defeat Bradford 1-0 at home. Our campaign in the FA Cup began at St.James Park (no, not that one!) as we faced division three side Exeter City. What a pulsating game! Typically we started the game with a butter fingers in goals as Murphy let in two quick goals in the 17th and 20th minute to cancel out Sunu's third minute opener. However a goal from Plessis drew us level only for Exeter to managed a third goal with their third shot! It was looking bleak but two great goals from rising star Ahmet Erdogan were enough to see us through 4-3!

It was back to business as usual in the league, however. A Nathan Woolfe goal looked to have secured us the three points during the visit of Leicester in a game we had completely dominated. However with only second shot on target of the entire game they were able to steal a point with a Taylor goal. It wasn't good, and we continued to struggle with super-keeper syndrome for most of January as the affliction saw us lose points. We were six points off 6th place and were losing ground with every game we saw stuffed up unfairly.

Spoiler:

Dawns and Giant Killings
    It's often said that the cup competitions over-ride form, and we certainly proved that. The visit of Premiership Wolves was looking like an extremely unwelcome side show as we continued to stumble in the league. However on the day we put on a performance which belied our league status against a side 12th in the division above as goals from Robbie Keane and Ahmet Erdogan saw us through despite a late reply from Darren Bent. We would face Division Two leaders Swansea in the next round.

Thing finally began to look up a little in the league. A 6-2 win at Prenton Pak over Tranmere was the highlight of our season so far as Schone, Keane and Vaca all scored along with a hat-trick for Woolfe. A solid 1-1 draw at home to MK Dons and 2-1 win against Blackpool were positive. A 1-3 defeat Sunderland was a cruel result as we held the leagues top side 1-1 until the last minute when Ben Smith decided to go missing and give the home side two late goals. However, it was still a much improved performance with my new tweaked tactic and, although we still weren;t in the playoff spots, we were holding 8th position only six points behind sixth place as we approached March.

In the FA Cup tie against Swansea we endured another slogging match. In the end we were lucky to win 3-2 thanks largely to two Robbie Keane penalties as well as a Schone goal. Our opponents in the quarter final would be the Premiership leaders, Man Utd at Edgar Street!

Spoiler:

Cup Distractions and Defensive Failings
    The visit of Man Utd to our tiny little ground was something that really had the local area buzzing and whilst I was looking forward to it I was concerned about the impact the game would have on my side in the long term, would they be able to still raise themselves for league games? The game itself came and went like a blurr. We were without Robbie Keane due to a suspension however I was secretly pleased to have him rested. A full strength Man Utd side was able to walk all over us as Metzelder, Rooney and Anderson all scored. A Carratta goal was at least some consolation. An injury which was to leave the talismatic Erdogan out for the rest of the season was an unwelcome consequence of the game.

My fears appeared to be confirmed as our first league game, a trip to Elland Road saw my defence fall to pieces as Leeds managed to net four. We managed to score three of our own but that wasn;t enough. Unfortunately it seemed my lads had adopted a Keegan mind-set as we continued to find the net regularly only to concede more. I tried various defensive mixes but nothing worked.

A 2-2 draw at home to Ipswich dealt our fading playoff hopes a huge blow as yet again we gave away a 90th minute equaliser in a game we were on course to win after taking the lead in the 84th minute. Our playoff challenge was all but dead as we succumbed 2-1 to Fulham at Craven Cottage (despite being the stronger side) and an astonishingly awful 4-3 reverse at home to Wigan after we had been leading 2-1 at half-time.

Spoiler:

Ending the season on a low note
    By now we had fallen to a miserable twelfth and were nine points away from sixth, it was over bar a miracle. A 2-1 win at Coventry at least restored some pride before a 2-0 win in the visit of Huddersfield left us with a faint hope of catching Wigan who were now only six points away in sixth. That hope was soon extinguished however. I was left shattered after yet another horrific goalkeeping display saw us destroyed at Ashton Gate by run-away champions Bristol City. I tok Murphy in goal off after 10 minutes saw him let in the two first shots by the home side only for his replacement Smith to let in another three.

The season ended poorly as we were beaten 2-1 at Reading in yet another game that saw us have twice as many shots as our opposition. A 2-1 home win against Porsmouth was at least a slight morale booster but we ended the season in typical fashion as (once again!) we equalled our visitors Millwall on shots only to be beaten 4-2 and we slipped all the way down to 12th which is where we finished.

Spoiler:

Leaving without a trace
    Amazingly, the board had been delighted with my performance all season, but then, I had acheived what we had set out for. I would have been happy with this at the start of the season, but the manner in which we ended up acheiving it left me bitter. We could have easily acheived a play-off spot but in the end a baffling loss of all defensive and goalkeeping clue cost us dearly.

I feel that we do have a decent squad and perhaps a more tactically minded manager will be able to make it work next season. Kelwin Igwe was our only fully reliable defender with a AVr of 7.37. He also played for Nigeria at the African Cup of Nations. In midfield I was left a little disheartened. Potential star Lasse Schone occasionaly played well but was far too inconsitent. Yossi Beanyoun was solid given his age. Ahmet Erdogan was a real success however. 10 goals and 8 assists is a superb return for £50,000! Elsewhere it was a mixed bag, and the next manager can analyse stats and attributes for form his opinions. Up front Robbie Keane was reliable 23 goals from 44 games. This is perhaps the best area in the squad with promising younger players Woolfe and Sunu both looking positive. Italian striker Robert Acquafresca is also due to sign from Torino, should the new manager wish to let that deal continue. My main piece of advice to my succesor would be to sign a whole new set of goalkeepers as all three were totally unreliable for me.

In the end my time with CMSG Ltd was a let-down as I claimed the second-worst record. I was pleased with many of the squad had assembled but in the end I was let down by my tactical naiveity and the ever troublesome super keeper vs butter fingers issue. We scored the most goals in the league and conceeded more than any other team bar the second bottom side! Ah well, live and learn!

by Toon
    Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:38 PM.

The Beginning

CMSG replace Toon with unknown youngster. In a shocking announcement the CMSG group who run Hereford United have installed Jamie Green as manager. The fans might have been expecting someone with more experience to attempt to lead them into the Premier Division.

As I threw the paper into the bin in disgust it hit me I have 1 year to turn this team into a league winning outfit. I have had plenty of experience on cm0102 and have learnt alot from the guys from the forums but this is going to take all my knowledge and more.

Changes

As I looked over the squad list I realised I needed to make many changes whilst Toon's squad was good I needed a side that could last all season. I decided the free transfer route was going to be my way of improving the squad.

I quickly bought in:

Dany N'Guessan - £875k
    Kevin Kuryani - Bosman
    Holmar Orn Eyjolfsson - Bosman
    Sebastiano Bizzari - £275k
    Robert Acquafresca - Bosman
    Matteo Alberti - Bosman
    Josh Gowling - Free
    Andy Carroll - Bosman
    Declan Byrne - Free

Whilst I was forced to release 3 players due to needing money for wages:

Yossi Benayoun - Free
    Graham Livermore - Free
    Tom Osborne - Free

I was sad to see them go but I thought we had adequate cover for all 3 of the players.

The Beginning

I had decided not too take part in any friendlys instead focusing on improving the squad.

We started the season well winning the 1st 2 games 1-0 with Kevin Kuranyi scoring the goals. Brighton were the opponents in the 1st round of the league cup and we progessed with a lucky 1-0 victory thanks to Andy Carroll. The next 2 games were somewhat dissapointing after our good beginning with us drawing 1-1 against both Stoke and Barnsley. With Kevin Kuryani being the star of the show with 3 goals from 6 games.

Spoiler:

Mixed Results

We followed up our good start with wins over Brentford and Bradford in the league. It was time for our 2nd league cup match against Coventry and we progressed with ease defeating them 2-0 with goals from Gradel and Schone.
    This cup match seemed to take a lot out of the men with us drawing 1-1 in the league once again to Coventry and then in a dissapointing result losing 0-1 at home to Tranmere. We quickly recovered from this loss with just 1 loss from the next 6 games adding 10 points to our tally.

Spoiler:

Lead up to December

We once again progressed through the league cup reaching the 4th round with a 0-1 victory over Bristol.This victory seemed to spur the team on with us winning the next 7 games including the league cup 4th round against Chesterfield.

Spoiler:

Start of something special?

We started December with a 2-1 league cup quarter final victory over Everton with Kuranyi and Carroll grabbing the goals. We then earnt 10 points from 5 league games being victorious in 3 of these games. It had been a dream season so far for the Hereford fans reaching the League Cup semi final's and sitting top of the table but I knew the job was far from over.

Spoiler:

New Years

We started the new year badly losing 2-3 in the 3rd round of the F.A cup. However we then went the next 4 league games unbeaten. This led us to the semi finals of the league cup, We drew the 1st leg 2-2 away against Huddersfield. But goals from Kuranyi and Byrne secured our spot against chelsea in the final. After reaching the final we won only once out of the next 5 games gaining just 6 points. Things would need to improve greatly if we were to hold onto the top spot.

Spoiler:

The dream becomes a nightmare

With just 1 game remaining until the League cup final it was vital we returned to winning ways. With Doncaster our opponents we ended up winning 3-0 with goals from N'Guessan,Carroll and Kuranyi.

League Cup Final

Spoiler:

The cup final couldn't have had a worse effect on the lads it shows just how much these games can knock a players confidence. We went on to lose our next 5 league games conceding 11 goals and scoring just 3.

Spoiler:

The final hurdle

I cant believe it we have thrown it away we was clear at the top then we lose 5 in a row. It is however my job to turn our fortunes around and it was Sunderland who took part in quite possibly our most important game of the season.

We went on to win this game 4-1 with goals from Schone,Gowling,Kuranyi and Keane but with 2 games left this season was far from over

Spoiler:

2 Games left

The penultimate game of the season was away against West Ham and it was a game we should have won. With us dominatiing the game but that counted for nothing as we left london with a 1-1 draw.

Spoiler:
    [/IMG]

Final Game

I cant believe it 1 game left and we could still finish in a playoff spot.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Afterthought

Yes we've done it my job is done I have got Hereford into the premier league and while I wont be managing them there I will take some pride in knowing it was me and my squad who achieved it.

As I walked out of the CMSG office having rejected a job in the boardroom I realised it was well and truly over.

by Cafcjgreen
    Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:40 PM.

So, here we go. I'm not in the mood for a fancy write-up so don't expect one
    Upon the arrival, I took a quick look at the squad...Very good team for the Championship, but I immediately realized I needed a few really good assets if I was to survive in the EPL...
    First of all, I signed two more coaches with the high relevant atts.
    Second of all, we had 4 Bosmans lined-up...I cancelled 2 of them, leaving Nacer Barazite and Gary Madine.
    I noticed a serious lack of left fullbacks, with only Kadar capable of playing on that position. Generally, speaking, I figured we needed 2-3 central midfielders to provide some depth for the legendary wine'n'coke formation I was planning to employ.
    I transfer-listed a few players. Danny N’Guessan left to Toulouse for 1m pounds, while Max Gradel joined Sunderland for 140k.

Oh, almost forgot...Congratulations, Cafc

The Pre-Season begins
    TV money...mmm...some of the money left for the costs of the new seats, but we have more than enough...let the games begin...

15th July

Pardon my French, but trying to get someone to sign for a newly promoted side is fucking hard...The money doesn't help and I've tried many players, from young prospects to experienced, unhappy players from mediocre European clubs...
    Everything is not that gloomy though...The scout report arrived with some excellent findings and I jumped at a chance to sign them. A young defender by the name of Angelo De Santis joined us from Atletico Catania for 250k. A promising striker from Potenza, Eugenio Di Corcia, joined for 275k, while we arranged the same fee for the arrival of right fullback Francesco Castellano from Cremonese.
    No sign of a left-back, let alone those 2-3 mids I was dreaming about.
    It's still early days, though...
    In other news, Gilles Sunu (1.3m) and Kevin Kuranyi (600k) left the club and joined Swansea and Borussia M.

22nd August

It's a match day, and I can look back on our transfer windows activity really pleased, after all...Sala, Godinho, Hugo, and Fattori are all the players who joined Hereford from Italian and Portuguese clubs for a combined fee of 560k pounds. However, I'm the proudest of the signing of Francisco Manuel Cabrero. This defensive midfielder only got 7 games in the last two seasons at Almeria and thus was thrilled to sign for us. 550k went the other way.
    We tried to sign a young Spaniard from Bolton, namely Juan Jose Soler, but the attacking midfielder was not available for sale. Instead, we loaned him until the end of the season.

2nd November

After the opening win against West Bromwich (2-0) and loss against Birmingham away (0-1), we faced the mighty Arsenal, who spent 24m pounds in the last transfer window. In a brave performance, we grabbed a point (1-1)!
    We lost the following game in a typical CM fashion..Don't you just love when something like this happens?

We showed our fury a few days later, beating Blackburn at Ewood 3-0.
    In the following game against Rushden in the League Cup I fielded a team consisting mostly of backup players. We won 3-0 with a hattrick by Acquafresca.
    After beating Middlesbrough 2-0, another disaster struck, this time at Goodison Park:

Luckily, we pulled ourselves together and won the following three away games: Forest, Wolves, and Blackburn (League Cup 3rd round).
    Just today we lost to City. We were in the lead until the 80th minute when Michael Johnson levelled the score. 7 minutes later he scored again and bye-bye points for Hereford.

All in all, I'd say this was a very good opening. This is a good position to wait the games against Chelsea, Man Utd, and Liverpool from.
    Also, 2 more transfers came through. We signed a Spanish defender from Toledo for 1.2m. Francisco Nunez will be used mainly on central positions, but he can cover the left flank as well. On the other hand, Jamie Hooper joined Aberdeen for 575k.

2nd January

Amazing run of 4 wins followed the defeat against City: Aston Villa 2-1, Crewe 3-1 (League Cup 4th round), Bristol City 1-0, and Doncaster 1-0.
    The following game was exactly was I expected : one big nothing for us. We lost to Chelsea 1-2, with De Santis scoring in the 88th minute only to cushion the blow.
    That was followed by a disappointing defeat at the hands of Newcastle in the League Cup quarterfinals (0-1).
    However, that was just a minor setback before our following 3 wins in a row (Southampton, Tottenham, and Norwich).
    Guess who stopped us this time?

...followed by...

I guess the postponed match against Liverpool affected my players so they couldn’t focus on playing the fairly weaker teams before the big clash. However, there was no time to waste. Another giant was awaiting us...

...and that appeared to be our best game that far!

Fan-bloody-tastic! Halfway through the season and we're sitting on the CL spot!

21st March

Our great form continued...In the following 10 league games, we lost only to Arsenal and Everton! We faced Arsenal just 3 days after Man Utd and I knew that would be too much to handle for my boys...We beat Liverpool along the way, 2-0. To be fair, they had been in serious problems throughout the season (Benitez eventually resigned), but a win is a win.
    Unfortunately, after beating Preston, we lost to Tottenham in the FA Cup 4th round (1-2).

The big three are unreachable in any case so my primary goal is to keep pushing to prevent Everton from catching us.

23rd May

From the last 8 games, we needed only 4 to mess up everything. Only 2 points from 4 games and Everton closed the gap between us!
    Things got worse when I drew against 19th placed Southampton while Everton beat Forest at home...
    We SOMEHOW managed to win the following match against Norwich...but Everton finally lost (to Newcastle)! That cheered me up all right, but not for long...Our fixtures schedule said Liverpool (A) and Man Utd (H), while Everton's showed Middlesbrough (A) and Southampton (H).

We started with an early goal by Godinho in the 10th minute...Landon Donovan scored quickly two minutes after, just that Acquafresca could bring us back in the lead 4 minutes later...However, Donovan just wouldn't let go and scored another one a minute later!
    By the half time Middlesbrough were still holding a draw against Everton. I was literally trembling in my chair...
    60th minute: Baines scored for Everton...
    79th minute: Everton scored another one...
    Just when I started to swear, Acquafresca scored for 3-2! Later on, he scored another one and we won!

So, there we were, one game to go...With the minor difference that they had to play already relegated Southampton, while we were about to face 3rd placed Man Utd...
    The games were about to kick-off when I spotted something weird...Man Utd line-up was full of fringe players! I checked their schedule and it finally dawned on me: they were saving their first teamers for the CL final 3 days later!
    This was their usual line-up...

...and this is what they confronted us with...

I got excited as I knew that was an enormous chance for us.
    I was right as we were confident, grabbing the lead early on, just to score another one before the half time...Everton were struggling to score against Southampton and I saw the CL on the horizon...
    The frosting on the cake was a goal in the dying seconds of the game by Di Corcia...It didn't matter to us anymore, but Everton drew 0-0...

Our best player ( most goals and highest average rating)

Best assistant with a mere 7 assists

Best defender (a combination of tackles per game and average rating)

Final thoughts

First of all, I must say I enjoyed every minute of playing this save game. I was always wondering what was it like to build on someone else's selection of players.
    I'm surprised with the overall achievement, but we were indeed lucky with the injuries and suspensions. Very few of them enabled us to play the best XI most of the time. I think I could have achieved more in the FA Cup, but maybe it's better this way...We lack depth, but I left a decent basis for CM Adventurer to build on. Good luck in the CL!

All in all, this was a splendid season...After all...

Can't argue with that, can you?

by Churky

Hereford United season 2010/11

Stepping in to my new challenge
    So Hereford United were about to appoint their sixth manager in as many seasons. People say that stability is key to success but CMSG Ltd seem to be defying that theory. Let's hope it would continue for their latest manager who goes by the name of CMAdventurer. As I arrived at Edgar Street for my first day in charge, I caught sight of my predecessor churky who drove away from the ground in his quite beautiful car. That guy achieved 4th place with a supposedly small club so I've got a lot to live up to. It was time to see what sort of challenge I would be taking on during the following 12 months.

First impressions
    Of course I met the squad which managed to do the business under churky. I had a good look at them and thought I had a decent mid table side but how they finished 4th last season I'll never know. Could it be down to churky? He never came over as a genius to me . Maybe I was wrong. It was an ageing squad which consisted of many nationalities such as English, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. I never associated a multi-national side with Hereford United Football Club but how times have changed since CMSG Ltd took over four years ago. There were some good players in the squad but there would have to be changes if we wanted to push on from an excellent 2009/10 season. Time to meet the Hereford board.

Meeting the board
    I was stunned to find out that the board would have been content just to retain our Premier League status. WHAT? This club had come such a long way in such a short space of time and the board had such low ambitions! Well I thought the club should be competing at the right end of the table with a bit of wheeling and deeling. I had a healthy transfer budget of just under £20 million (never thought I'd get that with a club like Hereford) so I thought I'd spend it wisely. If churky can guide Hereford to 4th place in the Premier League then so could I . Upon my arrival, I had noticed that the training facilities were still non league standard so they would have to improve if the club was to become a force both domestically and in Europe. Here was the board's response:
    Spoiler:

Transfer activity
    There were a couple of departures before any arrivals. Goalkeeper Ben Smith was released as he had fallen out of favour at the club and he was certainly not in my plans. Then came a huge blow when we lost last season's top scorer Robert Acquafresca. The Italian was still part of my plans but Manchester United came in and made an offer of £2 million. I thought the bid was a joke but then I realised that he had a minimum fee release clause of £2 million so I had to accept rather reluctantly. He accepted the contract offer of course and now I was forced to look for a replacement.

Thanfully I managed to attempt a few additions to the squad as we signed three players on 1st July. These were veteran defender Martin Skrtel, goalkeeper Colin Reeve and right winger Sotiris Ninis from Panathinaikos. Ninis and Skrtel both had unprotected contracts so I still had to pay their clubs compensation for the transfers. Meanwhile, Reeve was signed for a bargain £950k from Villa. He was only 24 at the time of the signing so I had high hopes for him. This signing didn't look good for previous number one Oscar Jansson, who had done an excellent job for the club.

On the same day as those three arrivals, strikers Euginio di Corca and veteran Robbie Keane left to leave us with a striker shortage. Di Corca went to Lazio for £6 million as I thought the offer was too good to turn down. Keane left on the Bosman Ruling as he couldn't agree a new contract. I wasn't that bothered about losing him as he was 36 but we now had only two strikers.

We did manage to replace the strikers as young Dutch duo Jordy van Putten and Kees Bijl signed on 4th July. I was especially impressed with van Putten and I would like to praise whichever previous manager shortlisted him . We got him cheap at £4.2 million from FC Utrecht as that was his minimum fee release clause. A few days later, winger Joaquin Garmendia was signed from Sevilla as I wanted him to play on the left wing. I sold Michele Fattori and Jose Hugo to raise cash as they were full backs and were not required for the tactics I would be using. Here are the attributes of our signings:
    Spoiler:

I was happy with the squad for the forthcoming season so it was time to get down to business on the pitch.

I almost forgot to mention that I made a few alterations to my staff. I sacked a few coaches and brought a few in. Long serving assistant John Trewick was demoted to coach while former Ipswich forward Pablo Counago was to be my number two. Quite good stats if you ask me.
    Spoiler:

Pre season
    A tour of Greece was arranged for our pre-season. We cruised to a 5-0 win over Koropi in the first game and followed that up with victory over Ionikos. A defeat to AEK Athens followed but we bounced back to win our final match of the tour against Larisa.

Champions League Qualifying
    The draw was very kind to us as we were drawn to face Austrian outfit Red Bull Salzburg. We cruised to a 4-0 win in Austria to all but secure our place in the group stages. The second leg at Edgar Street ended 1-1 as we safely booked our place in the next round. This was the draw we were given:
    Spoiler:

Not a bad draw at all.

Mixed start
    Our Premier League campaign started off reasonably. Our first game saw us claw back a 2-goal deficit to draw against Birmingham despite an iffy performance. Wins over Bristol City and Leeds followed but we suffered our first defeat of the season at Stamford Bridge.

Our Champions League campaign got off to an absolute flyer with convincing wins against Porto (3-1) and Panathinaikos (2-0) to leave us in a strong position.

September to November
    We had a few good results in the league. Most notably there were 4-1 wins against Liverpool (away) and Aston Villa (home). There were one or two disappointments though such as a 2-0 defeat at Arsenal and a last gasp defeat at Ewood Park.

Our two matches against Bordeaux saw us lose in France but beat them at Edgar Street with both matches finishing 1-0. We should have at least drawn the away match but the return resulted in a deserved victory leaving us still on course for qualification.

Slight frustration during festive period
    We welcomed league leaders Man Utd to Edgar Street in early December and put up a brave performance and lost narrowly by a goal to nil. We responded by thumping Norwich 5-0 in our next game. However, the frustration came after Christmas as we drew three consecutive away games. This is how the table looked at the halfway point:

Champions League phase 1 final countdown
    Matchday 5 saw Porto arrive at Edgar Street. The game finished goaless. Bordeaux drew with Panathinaikos to leave us as firm favourites to reach the next group stage.

The match in Greece was a tense affair. We would qualify and win the group with a draw. We would go out if we lost, Bordeaux beat Porto and there was a four goal swing in goal difference. It started badly for us as Panathinaikos took the lead from the spot in the 7th minute. It remained 1-0 until half time but Bordeaux took the lead in Portugal to leave qualification on a knife edge.

Porto equalised in the second half but moments later, qualification was dealt another blow as we fell further behind. Jordy van Putten pulled one back to give us breathing space but Bordeaux soon restored their lead against Porto. No more goals were scored in either game as we scraped into the next group stage.

This is what we were up against in the next round:

Cup runs
    We cruised into the semi finals of the Carling Cup as we beat both Bristol teams and Swansea to set up a semi final clash against Premier League strugglers Tranmere.

We took the lead in the away leg and then capitulated to lose 4-1 and leave us with a mountain to climb in the return match.

The first half of the second leg was goaless. Strikes from Nunez and Godinho gave us real hope but Tranmere held on to reach the final.

Meanwhile in the FA Cup, we faced real embarrassment at home to Weymouth in the 3rd round as they took the lead totally against the run of play on the stroke of half time. Their keeper continued to frustrate us and I eventually sent on van Putten who scored a hattrick while another sub Lasse Schone completed the scoring. We crashed out in the next round with a 3-2 defeat at Old Trafford.

Champions League
    We managed a respectable draw at Benfica in our first game only to lose against Milan in our second to leave us with work to do. We then faced two crucial games against Getafe.

We lost the first game 1-0 in Spain and were way below par to leave our chances of reaching the last 8 hanging by an absolute thread.

We gave ourselves a glimmer of hope by beating them 1-0 at home and deservedly so.

January to March
    We had some good home wins in this period against third place Chelsea and Liverpool (both 2-1). New signing Nathan McGregor scored the winner against Liverpool. McGregor is a young central defender who I would say has potential. Here are his stats:
    Spoiler:

However, during that time, we lost 3-2 to West Brom. That really had me kicking myself because:
    Spoiler:

. Another frustrating game was the 0-0 draw at Villa Park where we totally dominated but couldn't finish off our chances. Our inconsistency meant that it looked like we would have to settle for the UEFA Cup as 4th place looked out of reach.

Champions League fate
    Our fifth match saw us entertain Benfica in another must-win match. We won 3-1 with goals from van Putten (2, 1 pen) and Plessis. We had to wait until the last minute to seal the win but we should've had it wrapped up much earlier. However, there was bad news as Getafe beat Milan which meant that we would travel to the San Siro in our final game needing a win to progress. Big ask but not impossible if you ask me.

Result against Milan:
    Spoiler:

We gave it a good go. We were under severe pressure early on but we eventually asserted ourselves. Nacer Barazite had our best chance with a second half header which was save. So we went out of Europe with our heads held high.

The run-in
    After exiting Europe we finally put a winning streak together as we won five in a row. The run took us to within 3 points of Everton in 4th with us meeting on the final day at Edgar Street. The winning run included a good victory against Newcastle and two 3-0 wins.

However, in game 36, disaster struck. Everton lost against Villa which meant that we would leapfrog them with a victory against Spurs. We didn't really turn up as a late goal secured a 1-0 win for the visitors. We had to go to Old Trafford and win to stand any chance of CL qualification but unfortunately lost 3-0 which meant that we had to settle for the UEFA Cup.

Season review
    Despite us dropping down a couple of places in the league, I was pleased with how the season went. The Champions League probably had a lot to do with it as we looked a bit tired at times. We certainly had a very promising debut season in the Champions League as we showed that we can compete on the European stage. However, there were a few frustrating things, such as the number of forced substitutions I had to make due to injuries during the match. Martin Skrtel also got sent off three times including twice in a row at the business end of the season. Perhaps making him captain was a bad decision. Finally I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed working for CMSG Ltd and I would have stayed for 100 years if they let me. I begged them to let me stay but they reminded me of their policy of having a new manager every season. They had a young Dutch manager named m0ri lined up to replace me. His track record was not great as he has previously endured a difficult season with lower league Spanish club Antequera. So I said goodbye to the players and the board and drove off in my car which was a little more elegant than churky's car, trust me. Soon after, the new manager arrived. What could he achieve with the club during his season in the hotseat? Good luck to m0ri!

by CMAdventurer
    Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:43 PM.

I just thought I'd show you how Pergocrema have been doing since CMSG left them. In fact, they have since suffered two more relegations from Serie A to become a real example of a yo-yo team .

by CMAdventurer

I’m terribly sorry, but expect no fancy write-up from my side.

My reign as manager started on 28 May. The previous manager, CMAdventurer, informed me of the scheduled departure of Adam Carroll, back to Newcastle United.

I saw there was 8m Euros available for transfers, and I was sure there would be plenty more, coming from TV rights in a month or so. Unfortunately, I was given the message that the stadium needed expanding, and the youth facilities needed improvement. Which meant there was no money left at that moment. Shortly after, 12M Euros became available due to the tv-rights. I began looking for good, but most of all, cheap players.

There were a few players in the squad I felt would make some money, so I decided to put no less than 12 players on the transfer list, unfortunately, hardly any player attracted any interest, so the only ones I managed to sell were:

Samuele Giovannetti – DC – sold to Rushden and Diamonds – 650k Euros
    Brendan Moloney – D/M RC – free, contract was running out, and he wasn’t good enough for a spot on my team
    Nacer Barazite – AMC – sold to HSV – 2.7m Euros
    Daley Blind – D/DMC – sold to Sporting Gijon – 4.1m Euros
    Sotiris Ninis – AMR – sold to Atalanta – 7.25m Euros
    Angelo de Santis – DC – sold to Kashima Antlers – 5.25m Euros

Diego Godinho (AM RC) had his contract unprotected, and since he wasn’t going to feature in the side this season, I let clubs approach him, and eventually he accepted a contract from Liverpool, and he would be leaving for 4.9m in December.

With 7 players out I still had a big enough squad, but I had money to spend now, and I didn’t feel the squad was anywhere near pushing for European spots, not with Ninis, Barazite and Godinho leaving.

So, I went for some good old manual scouting, and found the following players willing to join..

Patrice Evra, 37 years old, coming on a Bosman from Southampton, he still looks like he can keep up at this level, and DL is a position where we only have one decent option, so I decided to bring him in.
    Spoiler:

Mark Beevers, the 28 year old defender could be a useful addition as he is sure to play a part in the league campaign this season, brought in from Rangers, for a mere 3.8M.

Spoiler:

Another Bosman signing, 35 year old Franck Ribery joins from Atletico de Madrid.

Spoiler:

There were a few DMC’s at the club, but I felt they weren’t good enough, so I decided to bring my own, Tiziano Merlo came over from Internazionale, for a mere 3.2m Euros.

Spoiler:

Georginio Wijnaldum was available for only 1.6M due to his contract being unprotected, he joins from Panathinaikos.
    Spoiler:

In the same construction, Marko Arnautovic was available for only 3.3M at FC Twente.

Spoiler:

Goalgetter Marcus Berg joins for 240k Euros from Sheffield United.

Spoiler:

Raul Lopez Gimenez is a young defender with potential, managed to snap him up for 375k Euros from Brescia, Italy.

Spoiler:

Aurel Voicu, a 30 year old F LC (who is obviously Adrian Mutu’s regen), joins from Romanian side Unirea, for a mere 325k Euros.

Spoiler:

Paulo Francisco is an attacking midfielder who was playing for Vitoria de Guimaraes in Portugal. I’ve no idea why he hasn’t been snapped up by a bigger side before, as he is truly amazing. Signed him for 300k Euros.

Spoiler:

When looking through Portugal, I found another great addition to the squad. Porto’s strong DC Filipe Coelho joins for 2M Euros.

Spoiler:

Coelho’s teammate at Porto, D/DMC Claudio Miguel, meets up with Coelho at Hereford for Herefords most expensive transfer this season; 4.2M Euros.

Spoiler:

Scott Sinclair will prove to be a useful addition to the side filling in the gap on the left wing, the F LC joins for 2.5M from Aston Villa.

Spoiler:

Last signing of the summer, Oscar Nunez, 21 year old Spanish F RC, joins for 3.9M from Nottingham Forest. He’s one for the future, this kid.

Spoiler:

So, with the transfers done, the season got underway. I was planning to use the tactic I am using for the Dream Team League, modified it with wibwob (as that isn’t allowed in DTL), and some other settings.
    We got off to a great start, winning 6 games from our first 7 matches, beating the likes of Newcastle and Liverpool , but defeated by Middlesbrough on the second day of the season. We then went through a difficult period, where Chelsea beat us at home, and Aston Villa held us to a goalless draw (Superkeepered ffs)

Then Ipswich knocked us out of the league cup, beating us 1-0 at their turf. After that, somehow, we got our shit together, and managed to string back to back wins together, and halfway through the season, we were in a good position. We had just drawn 0-0 at home versus Arsenal, 2-2 at home versus Liverpool, and we won 1-0 against Man Utd, and after these three matches, things were looking promising.

Meanwhile, we had proceeded to the 4th round of the UEFA Cup for which we were qualified. We beat OSC Lille in the first round (1-0 and 2-0), then beat AEK Athens in the second round (2-0 and 3-0), and we then drew CFR Cluj (0-0 and 3-0) but they too didn’t even manage to score against us.

In the fourth round, we beat FC Moscow (2-0 and 3-0), and the quarter finals had drawn us against Vitesse (1-0 and 4-0), and we still had yet to concede for a first time this European campaign. Meanwhile, we were unbeaten in the league since the winter-break, and in good position, Arsenal were the only ones who could keep up, albeit 5 points from us.

In the FA Cup, we were handed some easy draws, the third round Swansea (2-0), the fourth round Wolves (3-0) and the fifth round Newcastle, though they’re meant to be tough opposition, they weren’t on that day (3-0).

In the semis of both the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup, things got a bit tougher. In Europe we were facing Valencia. At home, we beat them 3-1, which would mean they needed 2 goals at the Mestalla to send us home. Unfortunately, we beat them 3-0 at their turf.
    The FA cup semi against Man Utd proved to be a lot more difficult.

Anyway, we were in the finals. We had a difficult run-in, facing both Man Utd and Arsenal in the last 5 matches, Arsenal was even the final match of the season!.
    However, they were already 8 points behind by now. We drew Bristol City 2-2, which meant an end to our 21 match winning streak.
    6 points clear, 3 matches to go. Our goal difference was lots better, so when we beat Coventry with 2 matches to go, things were still open for Arsenal on paper, but they needed to win the next two matches by 10 goals each, and we had to lose twice. We hadn’t lost in 35 games by then. So when we won against Birmingham, Arsenal had already given up, drawing West Ham 1-1, and we were champions!! For the first time ever, Hereford had won the title!

We were not done yet though, we still had two finals to play.
    The first was against Chelsea, the FA Cup Final. Not a very exciting match, we beat them 5-1.

The other one, the UEFA Cup final, saw us facing Arsenal, who proved to be more of a competition to us. The match was very even, but in the end we were lucky to win by 3-2, grabbing the treble.

by m0ri

Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:44 PM.

Whipped this up for a bit of fun to add to the story. Briefly covers the 'to stay at Hereford or not' discussion. Which I'm glad has gone on as it shows that there's a few dedicated subscribers to this thread that have an interest in where this story will go.

CMSG Ltd have come to light in recent weeks for their more than interesting way of management. Assitants and coaching staff aside, until just over a decade ago managers worked on a solo basis being employed by clubs around the world who required their services. If expectations were met, their job was safe, exceeded and they were heroes but when failed they quickly found themselves jobless. That was until CMSG Ltd entered the frame.

The managerial sports group made small headline news as they encountered their first dip into the football with a lowly ranked Italian team, Pergocrema. Speculation outlined that Pergocrema had spent some hundred thousands of pounds for this group to turn Pergocrema into a more successful side than it was. Working on a principle of interchangeable managers over 12 month periods, CMSG Ltd began it's career in the managerial world of football.

Pergocrema advanced to the cream of Italian within three straight seasons. It was no doubt a great achievement for the sports group, but so far there was still no silverware to bare to the CMSG name. The first season in Serie A witnessed a hard dose of reality as the cash straped Italian side fell below par of the standards to compete at the highest levels. Finally CMSG tasted their first piece of silverware, a whole 5 years since setting up, finally lifting the Serie B title.

Media attention had started to pick-up on this managerial 'revelation' and had started to become an attractive employment opportunity to several clubs across Europe. "It was great that we were finally getting some decent publicity in the footballing world, we were no longer a 'joke'." explained a director of CMSG who wished not to be named. But the attention wasn't from fallen giants or teams with a rich footballing past, "The bigger clubs still laughed at our project, they believed it wasn't going anywhere and that CMSG had ridden through the Italian leagues on luck" the director explained. But some teams were prepared to gamble on that luck, which is were Hereford United came in.

"We left Pergocrema on amicable terms. It wasn't easy, but we had an opportunity." And my CMSG took that opportunity. Within 3 seasons CMSG had directed Hereford into the Premiership, with Division One and Division Two titles to add to the bag. Within the next 2 years they made instant waves in the premiership and tasted European football for the first time. And then last season, Hereford's most successful yet, as CMSG could proudly add their most lucrative honours to date to a growing cabinet of trophies - the Premiership, FA Cup and UEFA Cup.

Hereford's new found success has been nothing but jubilent for fans with even the most hardened and pesimistic groups finding it difficult not to fully embrace the quick and successful changes that have taken place since CMSG's dramatic entrance 6 years ago. However, the talk of a restless board room has become a focal point at the club.

"Everyone has thoughts and opinions on how CMSG Ltd should be run." explained the director, "and whilst the next manager that is appointed by CMSG Ltd should take into account the thoughts and advice of his predecessors, it is ultimately their decision in how they chose to run the course of their 12 month tenure."

A possible hint of a change to come in the winding path that is CMSG Ltd? But wait, there's more...

"All managers want to put their own stamp on things when they take charge which is perfectly fine but are asked to be sympathetic to certain signings, youngsters and fan favourites that have made an impact. This is also applies to the team that CMSG is currently employed by, however some times may occur and from time to time we may all need to brace ourselves for change."

Is this a hint that CMSG may go a different way in the future of football or is it simply a reiteration of the very rules that CMSG has performed to over the past 11 years?

Whether CMSG remain at Hereford United for another season or not appears to remain in the balance with ZanSnake the reported next manager, however what is certain is that the CMSG story will continue to entertain the world of football.

by Rossinho

I grand day it was. The sun was out, blazing down, a record breaking hot day. And there I was, sitting inside my house, watching Sky Sports News. With a glass of cold milk in my hand, I sat and watched as breaking news erupted down the bottom of the screen.

“Some shocking breaking news coming through, CMSG Ltd has announced the announcement that they will be leaving Hereford after nearly 6 years since taken over the club. It was under CMSG Ltd that saw Hereford come from a second division struggling side to become one of the biggest teams in Europe. With the company’s tradition of having a new manager every season, it showed that this unorthodox maneuver was a successful” Said the News anchor.

“I can’t believe it! I thought that they would at least want one more season finding European success before leaving the club. I guess they wanted a new challenge, but the biggest question is, who is going to be the new manager of the next club they will invest in,” said a stupid random guy who thinks he knows everything.

“Well, a CMSG representative has been quoted as saying:

‘The Hereford project has become a great achievement, bringing in more profit for the club and more acknowledgements to our company. After six years in England, everyone in the company has decided it’s time to move on; we have won the biggest title, the biggest cup in England, now we want to go elsewhere and make our mark once again. And I want to say thank you to all the Hereford fans that have been coming to the club, if it wasn’t without them then we wouldn’t have had such a great journey. But this is an endless journey, as long as there are still competitions and cups that have eluded us, we will fight until we won. Hell, maybe one day we may comeback to our roots in Italy or here in England. The future is always ahead, and with that we will look forward, giving young managers their chance to make their mark in the sport of football.’

Stay tuned for further details.”

I turned the TV, gob smacked. How can they just leave like that? But I guess great managers like m0ri, Jesus, CMAdventeur and many more won’t be forgotten. I guess I will go back onto Championship Manager 01/02.

But later that day….

“Super Zan to the rescue,” I shouted, standing on my bed with underwear ontop of my trousers. “Man, I should stop smoking m0ri secret stash,” I said walking down from the bed. Then the doorbell rang. I ran down the hallway (a bungalow was cheaper for my nan) and answered the door, facing a man with blonde stylish hair and a black suit.

“Erm….. This is for you,” he said, giving me the letter. Obiviously, this guy isn’t the smartest around the block. I grabbed the letter and read it:

Code:

Dear Mr ZanSuper, I am an important man at CMSG Ltd, and I am happy to say you Have won the lottery that earns you to become the new manager Of the next selected CMSG Ltd football club. We will know kidnap you and take you to the club’s destination, Please do not reframe to struggle. Love, Some Guy from CMSG Ltd
    “Damn, and I thought I was called Super Zan, ZanSuper? Wtf!” I said to myself as the big blonde man came closer with something big and wooden in his hand, then all I could remember was darkness and thud against my head.

I then awoke in what seemed a total different country (about 20 minutes of failed Q+A with passers by) I found out I was in Holland. How? The ‘odd’ cafés that are around.

I then came across another mysterious man, this time his accent seemed more Northern Ireland and was able to say a whole sentence.

“Mister Snake, I presume?” He said. “Welcome, you are going to manager local side, ADO Den Haag.”

"I am the replacement of m0ri? I am the next one in line? I am the new face of CMSG?" I said, trying to acknowledge the facts.

"No! You will be the face for a season, nothing more. If you fail, you will be sacked, if you succeed then your name shall be marked into history." Said the silly little Irish man.

It suddenly comeback to me, the people that has also done this job. From Pergocerma to Hereford, there has been good times and there has been bad. There have been highs and there has been lows. And now, it's my time. It's my time to try and shine.

"Okay," i said, "I accept your job, and i will try to do my best."

"Well, good. But you were going to do the job anyway, i mean your in frigging Holland, your about a couple of thousands miles away from Nottinghamshire," he said back, but i Ignored him, thinking to what the future may hold.

The Summer Start

Expectation

Are you having a laugh? To me, this makes this a challenge, a war for a better season. If that is the clubs expectation, then mine is to reach the final of the Dutch Cup Final (or win it) and to win the league, bring in more gold for CMSG. But I guess getting promoted and reaching the Semis or Quarters is good enough for me as a more realistic target.

Transfers

Amieva, 22, Mc
    Spoiler:

Young talent that has ton of potential, and also a whiz at free-kicks. A good one for the future, and also, with the lack of MC a great team player.

Jimmy Barlow, 20, DC
    Spoiler:

Young defender, has still a great future ahead. A great back-up for my other defenders.
    Dino Cantoni, 24, FC
    Spoiler:

I guess I was a little hasty on this one. But seems like a great back-up in case my first and/or second choices and injured/banned.

Geoffrey Schut, 20, FC
    Spoiler:

Yet again, another great back-up, and has a lot of potential for future. He is a determined finisher, someone that could be helpful in certain scenearios. But I don’t see many matches for him this season.

Carlitos, 32, FC
    Spoiler:

Another hasty buy, but an experienced player who could come on as sub and do some good stuff (hopefully!).

Arjan de Roo, 24, FC
    Spoiler:

One of the best players I have ever seen. A young talented forward who could easily score a few here and there when in top form.

Marco Joordens, 26, DMC/R
    Spoiler:

A player I hope to help the lack of midfielders I have. I hope he can score and create a few goals in that midfield.

Said Van den Berg, 23, DMC/R
    Spoiler:

Another young talent, someone defiantly to keep hold on to for the future.

Pietro De Vita, 27, DMC
    Spoiler:

A good little player, who can help in defensive midfield. Great back-up for the central midfield role.

Loans

Cor Reiziger, 21, D/DML
    Spoiler:

A player I brought in not knowing my future tactic, I was going to either choose my Attacking Midfeild formation or the Forward March Z, in the end I choose the on with three Centre-backs, as so his existence wasn’t really needed. K

Dennis van Schijndel, 24, D/DMC/R
    Spoiler:

A great talent, such a great talent I later bought him when he requested to leave his parent club. A lad who will sit in defensive midfield for me, and will be used as a back-up in defence if needed.

Tactic

I went with my own (for obvious reasons), so I went for Attack Midfielder (name will change) that looks like:

Friendlies

I started a little competition (CMSG Ltd Cup) with a three randomly selected teams, consisting with: Adelaide Cobras, Osasuna B, and Catanzaro. Each from another country: Austria, Spain and Italy.

Our first match was Adelaide Cobras, which we saw we were beaten 1-0. For the next game, I decided a different approach by replacing one striker. Our next game was Osasuna B, which we easily won 2-0, goals from Barlow and Di Lallo. Our third and final game was against Catanzaro, which was harder but we able to stretch for a 1-0 thanks to an Amieva strike. We finished second as Adelaide took the cup, next time I am sure we will win that back, or will we?

Season

First Month

Our first couple of games was the Dutch Cup Qualifering group stages for the second round. As I am against a few non-league teams, I was expectating some easy wins. And that’s what is got as we won Ijsselmeervogels by an amazing 3-0 (Linssen, van Schijndel, Amieva). We then beat Oranje Nassau by an astonishing 4-0 (Linssen, de Roo 2, Joordens). After being qualified from our group, the league debut was next.

This performance was then followed by dull draws against AGOVV, the final Group stage game, and against Excelsior. The last game of the month, we were able to score one goal against Omniworld thanks to Joordens. The month ended with us not conceding any goals.

Second Month

The second month started out well with a 3-0 thrashing of Den Bosch (de Roo, Linssen, Amieva). The second game, we lost 0-1 against an average Roda JC side. The third game, we were able to salvage a 1-1 draw against Veendam (Amieva). Then, the second round match against Feyenoord came up, which ended 1-1 and we won on Penalties.

But we couldn’t celebrate for long as our next match against AGOVV came, and even though we came back, it ended in their favour in a 3-2 (Linssen, Gyasi) loss for us. Our second month wasn’t such a success as the last month, but we could only hope the next month will come to be better.

Third Month

The third month since the start of the season, and the third challenge ahead. Our first challenge was Telstar which we ended in a 2-2 draw (Gyasi, Linssen). We actually got a win against Helmond Sport as beat them 2-1 (de Roo, De Vita). But we could only slavage a point as we faced Cambuur which ended 1-1 (de Roo). Our next match we Fortuna Sittard but lost 1-2 (John). Next we faced RKC who we would face later on in the third round of the Dutch cup, we won the first meeting 1-0 (Joordens). In the second facing against RKC we completely looked like a total different team as we thrashed them 3-0 (Amieva 2, Joordens) to go on to the third round. We may have had a iffy month in the league, but in the cup we were rolling harder then a rolling machine.

Fourth Month

We started the fourth month off with a bang, as we thrashed Emmen 3-0 (John, Amieva, Joordens). The next match was against Willem II, we thrashed that 4-1 (de Roo 2, John, Joordens). We next faced Volendam, we was decided 1-0 in our favour (John Pen). We ended the month undeafted, and favourites for competing for the first division title, but I still want to wait one more month.

Fifth Month

We started the month with a 0-0 draw against PSV. The next crucial game was against De Graafschap as we thrashed them 4-1 (de Roo, Linssen, Alberg, Maruanaya og). Our next result was against Excelsior in a 2-1 ( Linssen 2). The last game of the month was against Zwolle which we beat 2-0 (Amieva, John). We had a great month, and with just one game next month I think the players should have a well deserved break.

Sixth Month

The one and only game of the month was our match was the third round match against Volendam which we won 2-0 (de Roo, Moreno Freire). Now we are in the quarter finals.

Seventh Month

The first game was against Omniworld which we lost 1-2 (de Roo). We then faced Fortuna Sittard in the Dutch Cup Quarter Finals, which we won 1-0 (de Roo). Our next game was against Den Bosch which we won 2-1 (de Roo, Linssen). Then, in our next match against Roda JC which we lost 2-1 (de Roo), this was followed by a 2-2 draw against Veendam (John, de Roo). Another mix month, I am hoping for a successful month next.

Eighth Month

The first game of the month we faced Telstar which we won 2-0 (Amieva, Linssen). The second game we thrashed 4-0 (Joordens, John pen, de Roo, Linssen) against Helmond Sport. Third game, Fortuna Sittard who we beaten 2-0 (Linssen 2). For the fourth game, we thrashed AGOVV 4-0 (Linssen, de Roo, Alberg, Amieva). The last game of the month was a 3-0 (Di Lallo, Linssen 2) thrashing Cambuur.

Ninth Month

The first game of the second-to-last month was against RKC which we beat 2-1 (de Roo, John). Second game was the Dutch Cup Semi-Final against Premier side NAC, which we lost 3-1 (Linssen). The next game, we beat Willem II 3-0 (Linssen, de Roo, Etxarri). With that win, it meant we only needed one more win and we would clinch the First Division title. So, the next game was a must win against Voledam, but we weren’t able to win as we lost 1-0 meaning the tension for the next game was even more bigger. Next game was against a team that once was the biggest club in Holland, PSV and now this small team beat them 2-0 (de Roo, Linssen), meaning we won the First Division.

Tenth and Final Month

With us winning the title already, I wasn’t really bothered if we won the next couple of matches or not. The second to last game was against Emmem which we won 2-0 (Alberg, Gyasi pen). And as for the last game against Zwollewe were beaten 2-3 (Alberg 2).

Overall Thoughts

I am kind of disappointed not to have reached the final of the Dutch Cup or even winning it. The lack of players for defense and midfield may have been the main problem. To the next manager I say good luck in the premiership, and I hope the best for the future.

by ZanSnake
    Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:46 PM.

Alright guys,

Sorry for letting the thread go a little stale. You're entitled to an update, so this is what's happened. Basically the save that ZanSnake had passed on to me had corrupted. I couldn't even load the game due to an error that according to Cmela, had pretty much made the game non-playable. So, hoping that ZanSnake may have already had copies saved before he played, I was hoping he might be able to replay his season and then try and make the 'pass' again. However, I haven't been to contact him unfortunately. Time is ticking, so tonight I have emailed m0ri in the hope that he still has his finished season saved that he can then forward on to me. Unfortunately this might mean a season lost, but it's better than a career going down the pan right? I hope you can bare with me for a little while longer and hopefully we can get this resolved and get the ball rolling again with this. Everyone has done a fantastic job keeping this story going.

Thanks again for your patience,

//Rossinho

PS - Good news! m0ri still has the link. Downloading the save now.

by Rossinho

*RING, RING*
    Mark: Zzz.
    *RING RING*
    Mark: Zzz.
    *RING RING*
    Mark: Huh? Oh, f**k off, it's 3 in the morning!
    *RING RING*
    Mark: *Mutters obscenities* - Hello? Do you know what time it is?
    Caller: Mark? It's m0ri. Sorry about the time, but this is an emergency. You've got to come at meet me as soon as you can.
    Mark: m0ri? What are you phoning me for?
    m0ri: It's urgent. I'm in Hereford. Come and meet me as soon as you can.

With that, m0ri hung up the phone. "Hereford? What the f**k does he want me to go Hereford for. I'm going back to sleep!".

But curiosity got the better of me and within an hour, I had showered, dressed and took some Relentless into the car with me as I prepared to drive to Hereford. At least it was only two hours away from Stoke-on-Trent! Before long, I arrived at Hereford headed for Edgar Street as I knew that would be where m0ri would be as he was in fact the Manager of Hereford and had just won the English Premiership! I pulled up outside the stadium of the English Champions and straight away a chap came striding towards my car. I got out to greet him:

m0ri: Mark? Fantastic. I knew you'd come.
    Mark: What's going on? Why the urgency for me to come here?
    m0ri: I'll explain to you inside. Come on...

We went inside the ground and m0ri took me to an office which was undoubtlessly his. I spotted the recently acquired medals of the EPL, UEFA Cup and FA Cup pinned up on the wall.

m0ri: Mark, as an ex-employee of CMSG Ltd, you already know the rules that the company has. Each manager that is appointed by CMSG Ltd is only allowed a year in the job before somebody else takes over. Which means my time at Hereford has come to an end.
    Mark: Right...
    m0ri: CMSG Ltd then appointed a guy called ZanSnake to take over from me. He told the directors that he felt that he couldn't live up to what I had already achieved at the club and informed them that he would look to take CMSG Ltd to untried territory. Within a week, he was appointed as the manager at ADO Den Haag in Holland. However, there has been a few complications since then...
    Mark: Tell me more...
    m0ri:You have to promise me that not a word of this is spoken to anybody else. There are legal implications if you do so...
    Mark:Okay, yes. Whatever. Spill!
    m0ri: Well. ZanSnake arrived in Holland and shall we say, went on the 'waccy baccy' almost straight away. But there were journalists around who spotted him doing some rather discriminating stuff. He was reported to the police and found with copious amount of substances in his body as well as in his possessions. He spent the night in the cells and the story goes that he was babbling on about being the manager of ADO Den Haag and winning the title there, but not winning the Dutch Cup. The police were rightfully quite concerned about his state of mind and a doctor was called who then advised that the ZanSnake was not fit to manage the club after all. Therefore, he has returned to England on orders to undergo a rehabiliations process. He is due to return to the country tomorrow.
    Mark: Corr Blimey...!
    m0ri: Indeed, now that brings me to my next and final thing. CMSG Ltd had contacted me and they have insisted that you are the man to take over from me now and that you are in fact, the manager of Hereford so you may choose to remain here or like ZanSnake, go elsewhere. It's entirely up to you. But just avoid getting yourself into trouble! Right. I'm going to return home now with my medals so I will wish you the best of luck. Goodbye, Mark.

With that, he walked out of the room and I never saw him again for more than a year. Goodness me, what has ZanSnake got himself into?! What a drama...!

Over the course of the few days, I had a good think and also decided that I couldn't match up to m0ri's achievements at Hereford. As a result, my future would lie elsewhere. While I awaited news of my job applications, I decided to take a trip to Italy in order to see how my old side Pergocrema were getting on. They were doing alright by all acounts having established themselves as a solid Serie B side, finishing 10th in the season just gone. The players I had managed had long since moved on which is hardly surprising since it was 9 years ago that I had managed them. In fact, I wasn't even recognised as I walked around the stadium! Charming!

I had another reason to be in Italy though. With a years experience in management, winning promotion with Pergocrema all those years ago as well as CMSG Ltd's reputation for appointing managers who had a talent in the game, I applied for several jobs and was pleased to be offered a return to football management in Italy. The team in question had just finished a lofty 3rd in Serie A and their manager had retired from the game with grace. I was proud to be the newest manager of...

Spoiler:

S.S. Lazio!

With a new job, I had to give my old friend and assistant manager at Pergocrema, Claudio Ferrante a call:

Mark: Claudio! Are you still an ugly b*****d?
    Claudio: Mark?! Is that you? Where have you been?!
    Mark: Ah, wasting my life doing naff all! Have you heard? I'm the Lazio manager now!
    Claudio: Si? Wow, that is craziness!
    Mark: I'll give you crazy, you c**t! How about coming down here and working with me again?
    Claudio: Excellente! I be there!

With that, I was re-united with Claudio and armed with a £25,000,000 transfer budget. It was time to get to work! Although the club wasn't short of money, I still sold 14 players for a total fee of £4.3M, with a few listed and left to rot in the reserves for the season. There were a couple of decent players in the squad already including Nazzareno Giampaolo, Attila Filkor, Alessio Cerci, James Milner and £6M signing from Hereford two years ago Eugenio Di Corcia. I set about signing 21 players, strengthening the goalkeeper and defensive options in particular. Main signings from those 21 were Igor Akinfeev (£2.8M), Davide Santon (£1.9M), Micah Richards (£6M), Kermit Erasmus (£1.7M), Iago Falque (£6M), Maourane Fellaini (£1.6M) and Nani (£8M). I also signed five players from Hereford! These were Adam Milner (GK - free), Francisco Nunez (DLC - £1.5M), Scott Sinclair (FLC - £2.7M), Francisco Manuel Cabrero (DMC - £1.3M) and Nathan McGregor (£1.2M).

The season got underway and we kicked off in style with a 1-0 win over Parma, but our form in the league left a lot to be desired. We were very inconsistent but then managed to get our season back on track thanks largely to the form of a striker who was spotted completely by luck by my scouts and signed for just £250k from Canon Yaounde!

Spoiler:

We beat Hajduk Split on penalties, with a rare occasion taking place as all 5 penalty takers scored for us! That then took us into the first group phase against Sevilla, Anorthosi and none other than Hereford themselves! Representatives of CMSG Ltd were invited back to Hereford in the first of two meetings as we played and...

Spoiler:

Lost

We then faced them again in the final game of Phase 1 and needed a win in order to qualify...

Spoiler:

... And we won! Meaning we then overtook them into 2nd place to qualify for Phase 2!

Phase 2 pitted us against Chelsea, Heerenveen and Olympiakos which we found tough going at first, but once again managed to sneak into the knockout stages thanks to the last 3 games after failing to record a win in the first 3!

Spoiler:

What of the Italian Cup, I hear some of you ask? Well, after beating Torino, we were then knocked out by Milan at the Quarter-Final stage - Nothing more to say!

After putting in a series of inconsistent performances in Europe, we managed to get our act together in order to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the Quarter-Finals and then Chelsea 3-0 in the Semi-Finals to face Milan in the final! Is revenge on the cards for the Italian Cup knockout?

Meanwhile, back in the league, our form had been so good, we actually reach the summit of Serie A and even built up a 7 point lead until the last few games of the season cost us our place. We found ourselves slipping to 2nd place with one game left to play. Our cause was not helped by injuries and suspensions to key players either (Fellaini was given a 7 match ban for headbutting...!) our last match was to be against Fiorentina, the very team who had overtaken us into 1st place!

And so began the last two games of the season which would determine the success of my year at Lazio!

First we had to play Fiorentina. I was without Fellaini and Giampaolo for a match that we simply HAD to win. Luckily, we were at home which hopefully gave us an advantage...

Spoiler:

... It didn't We lost 2-0 to goals from Eder Mendes and Pietro Mollica and finished 2nd in the league. A very bitter pill for me and Claudio to take

But we had a chance to make amends in the Champions League Final against Milan at Copenhagen and this time, I had a full team available...

Spoiler:

AND WE WON!!!

What a season. I practically built a brand new squad and although we didn't conquer the league in the end, I was pleased to pick up a Champions League medal. The success was largely down to three players in particular who were all signed by me:

Spoiler:

by Mark

Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:48 PM.

22nd May 2013, Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark

The match had finished, the medals awarded, the cup presented and the victory celebrated with the fans. Lazio had beaten AC Millan 1-0 in an all Itallian Champions League final. To be honest, it wasn’t a great game, typically Italian with defences on top, but on reflection, Lazio just about deserved it. I was lucky enough to have an all areas pass and used it to congratulate Lazio manager Mark on his success.

Mark: Cheers Eejit. It’s been quite some season. Glad it’s over, I’ll tell you
    Eejit: Come off it, Champions League and 2nd in Serie A, must have enjoyed that
    Mark: It had it’s moments. What are you upto ?
    Eejit: Nothing much. Trying to remember my alphabet, but can’t get past “D”
    Mark: Great. In that case, I’ve got something for you.

He pulled from his pocket a Ferrari key ring.

Eejit: Ha ! That wont turn your Punto or Multipla into anything decent !
    Mark: Keys fit the red F430 Coupe out in the car park. Drive carefully, only 5,000 on the clock.
    Eejit: WHAT !
    Mark: Car comes with the job. Big key there is for my, sorry your office at The Olimpico
    Eejit: Come again …. Am I missing something ?
    Mark: Didn’t CMSG Ltd tell you ? You are taking over from me.
    Eejit: But Mark ….. I ****ing hate Lazio
    Mark: Not my problem mate. Take it up with CMSG Ltd. I’m off to Le Havre

29th May 2013 – The Board Room, CMSG Ltd, CMSG Towers – New York, USA

Eejit: Rossinho, there is no way I am going any where near Lazio.
    Rossinho: But we have our contractual obligations ….
    Eejit: Well un-contractually obligate then.
    Rossinho: What’s up with Lazio anyway ?
    Eejit: Nazi salutes for one, Gascoigne for another, just never liked them.
    Rossinho: Lets assume we can get out of this mess, is there any other club you don’t like
    Eejit: Airdie obviously. Everyone hates Airdrie. Clyde, Rangers, Celtic, Inverness, Hearts, Hibs, Chelsea, Millwall, England of course, I’m not that keen on Liverpool, Leeds or Necastle. Couldn’t stand Palace when I lived in Croydon. Fiorentina, Metz, Celta Vigo, BATE who always beat me, and I’m sure there are a few others.
    Rossinho: Christ man, there’s a lot of hate in you dude ! You need to chill a bit
    Eejit: I’ll add people who tell me to chill to the list !
    Rossinho: Here’s what we’re going to do. There is a map of Europe there. Put this blindfold on and make a mark. We’ve got some funds and will take over the closest club. I’ll wory about Lazio later.

Eejit: ing hell. Middle of the ing North Sea ! Who are we going to manage ? Marine ?
    Rossinho: You’re not making this easy. We’ll be in touch.

4th August 2013, My Home, Manchester, UK

The e-mail arrived

Where the hell is Cambuur ? It isn’t on any map that I can find. The mystery was resolved by a phone call from Rossinho minutes later, telling me to shift my arse to Leeuwarden in North East Holland. I got there as soon as I could and founs a sorry state of affairs. I had 16 players, 1 was injured and I had a cup game with Oranje Nassau in 3 days time. I couldn’t even fill the bench, and even the free transfer market would take too long. I had no option but to use loan signings, and immediately made 10 offers. 8 players arrived in time for the opening cup game, a 6-0 thrashing of the non-league minnows, with 4 goals coming from the loan signings. We were off and running and followed up with a 3-0 win over Achilles 29 and a 90th minute winner from loan striker Danny Vos to beat NEC 2-1 and progress from our cup group.

30th October 2013, The Tunnel, Mandemakers Stadion, Waalwijk, Netherlands

Interviewer: Congratulations Eejit on making the playoffs
    Eejit: Thanks. It’s been a great start to the season and the lads have deserved that for the effort they have put in on training. It was a good game today, and RKC are a very good side. I’m sure they will be in the mix for the playoffs come the end of the season too. They pushed us hard today, but I think we just about deserved it and got the luck when we needed it.
    Interviewer: You said you got the luck today, are you referring to the freekick that led to the goal ?
    Eejit: To be honest, I didn’t see the incident, but it was a great freekick from Thijs Brunswijk right where Rene Seedorf wanted it. We’ve been practicing that one in training, and I was pleased to see it come off. As for the Frank de Ridder incident, I will be looking at the tapes and if he did something wrong then we will take that up within the club. Fortunately there was only seconds to hold out after the red card, but I don’t tolerate misconduct from my own players, let alone those on loan
    Interviewer: You are currently unbeaten after 12 games, what is your secret
    Eejit: Like I said, hard work. We have signed 10 players and a further 9 on loan, so it has not been easy to integrate, but I have to say there is real teamwork and a great team spirit. I had 7 players under 20 out there today and I think they are showing a hunger having been passed by at previous clubs. It is my job to focus that hunger on a Saturday.
    Interviewer: Danny Vos is attracting a lot of attention do you think you can hold onto him ?
    Eejit: Danny has been sensational. 17 goals in 17 games, you can’t ask for more, but this is not a one man team. His partner Nol Vonk will also be missed when the both return to FC Uttrecht at the end of the year. Andres Pedrosa is a huge talent and I think he will play for Brazil one day. But I have to say that from 1 to 11 each game I have not been disappointed in the performance. I know Danny will go onto better things one day, but like the rest of the squad, he tells me that he is happy to be playing and scoring every week.
    Interviewer: Thankyou Eejit and congratulations again

8th November 2013, KNVB Offices, Amsterdam Netherlands

Comment from The Eejit: This is a great draw for Cambuur and a real chance for us to show what we are made of on the big stage. I am under no illusions that we will be underdogs, but we fear no one and Ajax had better show us respect or they may be sorry. I hope this will also be a spur to league performance too as all of our players will be wanting to play in Amsterdam in February.

1st February 2014, Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    I’m really pleased with the lads today. There is no disgrace in loosing to a side like Ajax and we pushed them all the way. Only a couple of weeks ago NAC came here and shipped 4 goals. The lads totally deserved the standing ovation from both sets of supporters at the end. We learned a lot today, especially about taking chances in a game of few openings, and should we be promoted, I am certain we will come back stronger from today

5th April 2014, De Vliert, Den Bosch, Netherlands

Spoiler:
    What can I say. The lads were as fantastic today as they have been all season. I am especially pleased for Fabio (Cosenza) who has had to play second fiddle to Danny (Vos) but he has really shown what he is capable of since Danny suffered his injury. The lad is only 19, but he has shown a maturity beyond his years. This though is a team performance, all 26 players that were involved over the season should feel very proud this evening. To win the league with 5 games to spare and unbeaten all season is an amazing performance. I have no doubts that the Premier League will be a tougher challenge, but with these lads, anything is possible.

11th May 2014, Cambuur Stadion, Leeuwarden, Netherlands

I had tidied up all the paperwork, left some scouting notes for my successor. Left details of the bosman signings that he may or may not want and was locking the door to what was my office when Managing Director Alex Pama approached.

Pama: Thanks again for an excellent season, both on the field and off. We have over £400K in the bank now. Is there no way that we can encourage you to stay ?
    Eejit: That isn’t the way CMSG Ltd works. The manager stays for 1 year then moves on.
    Pama: So where will you be off to next ?
    Eejit: All will be revealed, but not here and not now.
    Pama: Who in the name of the son of god is going to replace you ?
    Eejit: Funny you should mention the son of god …….

by The Eejit

Originally Posted by The Eejit
    Sorry guys, second half was a bit rushed. Realy pushed at work, so hope it is OK. I have PM'd Jesus with the link to the save, so over to the man to take the story on.
    The write-up was great Eejit don't worry if you were rushed, you've been busy anyway so it's just nice that you've managed to get this season and continue the ball rolling. Excellent work on winning the league, will update the first page accordingly.

As a message to all, if possible at the end of the season could there be more of a 'review' of the season...
    Originally Posted by Rossinho
    Rules
    • At the end of the season, provide a summary of the season, with screenshots. Also provide some feedback to the next person, with a discussion of which players to keep, sell, and potential signings. Also provide the squad print outs that include Transfers, Fixtures and squad details. The print button for these can be found in the top right corner of the squad screen.

It's getting to that point in the game where it's mainly regens, and it's always nice to get attached to a player or 2, maybe even find a CMSG legend. Sorry if it's pedantic!

ALSO, this story is still free to anyone and everyone who wants to join in and give it a good crack

AND good luck Jesus

by Rossinho

Details of all the squad follows. The key issues will be finding a couple of strikers. Cosenza is good, but there is no backup and I doubt he is up to being first choice in the Premier League. If you can get hold of Vos and Vonk (currently on loan) they are brilliant together with Vos as loan striker and Vonk in the hole. The other problem is between the sticks, however there are a couple of keepers lined up in the Bosmans that should do the job.

Star players were the wingers Pedrosa and Recoba. I have also rejected a £1m offer for midfielder Fraile, however that is getting close to his min fee clause. There are a few others on min fees that you might want to review. Brunswijk hits a fantastic freekick and is worth having him in the starting 11 just for that reason. You probably wont want all of the defenders lined up on Bosmans.

by The Eejit
    Last edited by AMC; 25-04-12 at 05:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast