Thread: The 5 Man Network Game

vCash

The 5 Man Network Game

So after finishing the 6 man network game I've played for a good 10 months, we've decided to start a new one with 5 of the lads. One of them had to drop out as he was too busy IRL to continue on, but with 5 of us left it will still be a great game.

The setting is a Saturn v6 network game with all of us starting out in the League Two. We looked for 5 similiar teams in terms of stadium size and facilities and set some rules regarding tactics and transfers. We exclusively play non wibwob/non cheat tactics and there's a 6 signings per transfer window restriction as well.

Teams are:

Andy: Swindon Town
    Mikey: Notts County
    Mort: Tranmere Rovers
    Pep: Port Vale
    Myself: Carlisle United

First session was a bit boring and took forever as we were going through the transfer period trying to get our squads together. Almost everyone got their allowed 6 transfers in except for Mort who had no cash and only managed to attract 5 freebies.

The second session was played last night and took almost 4 hours where we managed to get all the way to the second week of November.

All in all Mikey and myself had the best session as you can see in the table below. Pep is doing well too, but suffered a small form loss nearing the end of the session and the same goes for Mort although his form dip was at the start of the season. Andy's arguably had the worst session of the five as the game decided he was the one to get f*cked a lot last night. We've almost all played eachother once with only Mikey and myself still needing to play eachother which cooïncidently will be the very first game we will return to next session.

In regards to the Cups, we all got through the EFL Cup first round just to all crash out in the second round against higher placed teams. Four of us got through the FA Cup first round with only Andy drawing his game which will cost him a replay at home against Mansfield. The EFL Trophy first round has been drawn too with four of us being in the Northern section and Andy being the only one in the Southern section. Either Pep or myself won't make it through to the second round as we were unlucky enough to be drawn against one another.

So that's it for this first update. We're aiming to play each Thursday night so expect more updates soon!
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Very interesting start - GF on top but only a point in it. I remember following this on YouTube or something, so I'm excited to see it back.

Free transfers aren't always a bad thing.......

4 hours? Did some asshole have their entire squad - backups and all - in the first team and just spent forever rotating the players around just to piss people off? I know that happened to me once, no amount of tea, table bashing, swearing grunting and groaning would ever get me through that hell. What's worse, he was possibly the worst manager. I'm talking 4-4-2 with bloody sweepers, and a central defender at striker because "he can put one away, I know this well", and 3 GKs on the bench in a cup game - jesus christ.

I used to dominate network games - I played with people who said they knew what they were doing and then I got texts like "Where can I see press conferences?".

Ahhhhhh memories.

The most competitive one I ever played was a Legends League, where custom teams were seeded into the Prem, and were filled out with legends from the original game, but it was played on the latest database (2008 at the time). Had haggling (though that's not what we called it) and everything, a remake of CML if you will. I won two titles back to back and then came second three times in a row. Annoying, but very fun.

And, believe it or not, it's still going now.

I am no longer in it as I had personal issues last year, forcing me to leave this website and the league for a few months, and here I am again, still trying to release the patch i've been working on.

Good work GF, looking forward to keeping an eye on this one.

I used to love network games - I would love to get in next season as a sixth manager but that damned time zone difference........
    Last edited by jacobclear; 12-01-19 at 03:21 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jacobclear For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great Write Up Ray, its gonna be a long road to the top, and I can categorically state from experience, it is real good fun. Especially in the case we can't all make promotion but 1 rule we have agreed on, is any of us must stay at our clubs for a minimum 6 months, and should we then decide to move, it MUST be in England, no pissing off to Italy, no names (PEPE)

It will be a long game in terms of what we achieve and when, as 5 of us online isn't easy, but provisionally, Thursday looks a good day

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Offside Trap For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Had two good two hour sessions this week on Monday and Tuesday as Pep is off work this week.

Andy, who had a shit first session, did pretty well now and has climbed up to a 3rd place together with Pep, but Andy's got a better goal difference. He cruised through the EFL Trophy south section where he has reached the QF. Also went through in the FA Cup where he now needs a replay in the 4th round against Leeds to advance.

Morten was on the receiving end of things on Monday and performed really poor dropping back to 5th place, 8 points behind Andy en Pep. He got eliminated at home by me in the EFL Trophy 2nd Round and left the FA Cup in the 3rd after he lost a replay against Norwich.

Pep dropped some points as Andy surpassed him in the league, but still won enough on Mikey to close the gap towards 2nd place. He also got eliminated by me in the EFL Trophy 1st Round and a good month later I also eliminated him from the FA Cup 3rd Round.

Mikey had the odd result here and there. He lost at home to myself, but he keeps in 2nd place although his gap towards 3rd and 4th is only 3 points. The EFL Trophy 1st Round was his Waterloo as Burton Albion threw him out and same went for the FA Cup where Cardiff proved the better side in the 3rd Round.

Yours truly is still on top of league and even extended my lead over 2nd place to 4 points. A deserved loss against Andrew made the league much tighter as 1st to 4th are now within 7 points of eachother. We beat Pep in 1st and Mort in the 2nd Round of the EFL Trophy and are now in the QF of the northern section. A potential final with Andy looms at the end of the season. Also got to the 4th Round in the FA Cup where Wolves knocked us out.

On the transfer side of things we all did our best to get our max. 6 signings in. Everyone managed to get those 6 in except for Morten who got stuck at only 4 due to financial troubles.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ray will be posting an update on the close of season, but this is a video into the previous session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9oAZVBdBOM&t=6s

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Offside Trap For This Useful Post:

vCash
    We finished our first season on this save game after a 3.5 hour session where we powered through the remainder of the game. Here's the recap:

Andy - Swindon

Andy had the best closing session of us all as he continued what he did in the previous two sessions: winning! In the end it got him second place as he beat Mikey on goaldifference, +64 to +60. He only lost one game this session which was the FA Cup 4th Round replay against Leeds in which he had some bad luck. In the EFL Trophy however he managed to win the southern section final to advance to the grand final. There he managed to beat Sunderland on penalties since scores were level even after extra time.

Ray - Carlisle

My own team were on fire throughout this closing session, but we had to suffer a draw and a loss after the game crashed and we had to restart near the end of the season. It almost costed us the title as our 8 point gap at that point went to 3 points, but we closed it out and took a deserved title home after being on top for most of the season. In the EFL Trophy we reached all the way to the final of the northern section where Sunderland proved to big of an obstacle for us. Should I have won that game it would have been a final between Andy me, but sadly I lost although Andy did take revenge on them.

Mikey - Notts County

Mikey had a decent session as well in a fierce battle with Andy for the second place that he lost on goaldifference in the end. A typical champman loss after the crash probably sealed the deal for him as he couldn't overcome the goaldifference in the final two games.

Mort - Tranmere

Mort started the session really well, but suffered some draws and losses near the end of the season and in the end he secured 4th place over Pep on goaldifference: +59 to +41. In the Playoff Semi-final he beat Cheltenham over two games which earned him a spot in the Playoff Final. In that final MK Dons proved a too tough nut to crack and a poor first half from Morten's side costed him the win in the end. Now Mort has to stay another year in League Two unless he decides to move on.

Pep - Port Vale

Pep had an up and down session with wins, draws and losses all over the place. In the end he qualified for the Playoffs in 5th place losing out 4th spot to Mort on goaldifference. But then right before the Playoffs were about to start he jumped ship and left Port Vale for Barnsley who finished 17th in the League One. This unexpected move made sure that Pep would be active in the League One next year as he decided not to wait on the outcome of the Playoffs. Without his guidance Port Vale stranded against MK Dons in the semi's.

Table

And now we will have a short break after three sessions in one week. After that we're going to head onto the summer and all try to strengthen our team for season two!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great write up Ray

We did well with this, to be into season 2 already. Why am I not shocked that Pep took a new job all good, but hes gotta restart a build job though, question is, are the pre arranged deals gonna help him with the now reduced 5 a window we're allowed. As for Mort - very unlucky, but I feel he'll smash League 2 next season, with some cracking money coming through, and the fact he can remain at 6 players per window. Andy - what a finale for us both in the battle for 2nd, but credit where its due, and your Vans - wow, you're a dark horse. Ray - I may have started strong in league 2, if you recall, 8 outta 8, but you came good and took advantage of some blips in form for me, well done, next season we do it all again

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Offside Trap For This Useful Post:

vCash
    R.I.P

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepeP For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The game unfortunately crashed on the end of season update and we can't fix it.

Started a new game however in the EPL this time with Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Wolves and Newcastle. Unlimited transfer in season 1 to build up the squads and restrictions later on.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post: