Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost souls

vCash

Lost souls

Now he would know…

The referee was about to put the whistle to his mouth, the players were raring to go and to finally start this new season and the 16'740 souls in the stadium were roaring with anticipation, a number of them with fear in their eyes.

Now he would know if it had been worth flying away, if it had been worth leaving his friends and family without a clue, if it had been worth losing his pride, losing his soul and even losing his name.

And above all, he would know if it was worth a murder...

Suddenly silence fell on Home Park. The referee blew his whistle.

Now he would know...
    Last edited by LucasGills; 08-02-19 at 06:40 PM.

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    intriguing

vCash
    Murder. Must be watching Thistle this season
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash

11 August 2001
    Home Park, Plymouth

The referee blew his whistle and the match was on.

Andy May realised he had stopped breathing for an eternity. He took a deep, long inspiration and started to concentrate on the game.

During the last few weeks he had felt confidence growing around the club. The excellent pre-season and most notably the victories over Bradford and Villa, clubs plying their trade in higher divisions, had injected a new hope, a sense that finally, maybe, maybe, this club was on the right tracks again.

The papers had also contributed to this feel-good atmosphere lately by publishing a number of positive articles, after initially doubting the clubs'choice of a manager.

The sudden raise of volume in the stadium got Andy out of his thoughts and as he saw Pilgrims French midfielder Friio accelerate on the wing and easily pass Adie Moses, he immediately sensed danger. The fine cross that followed was blasted into the net past the helpless Karine by Beresford and after a bare 5 minutes Plymouth was in front !

Suddenly on his feet Andy shouted at his players to stay calm and keep their heads up. Not that many of them heard him though, given the ambient noise.

The game restarted and after a new alert down the same side, his players regrouped and gradually found a way back into the game. One player in particular stood out during this period, upping the tempo, tackling harder, passing better and constantly encouraging his teammates. Ex Gunner Gilles Grimandi was this man and it was precisely the reason why Andy had insisted on offering him a contract.

The chances started to come, one for John Stead, one for Andy Booth, another one for Stead and finally, after 24 minutes, the ball was in the Pilgrims net, silencing the home crowd and sending chills down Andy's neck. And who was the scorer ? That man Grimandi who, Andy thought, epytomised the new fighting qualities of this club.

Less than one minute after it was 2-1, Stead controlling a 45 yards pass from Holland, muscling his way through the Plymouth defense and firing into the roof the net.

A lapse of concentration gave the home side an equalising goal but two goals from Booth, just before and just after half-time, quickly followed by a fifth one scored by attacking midfielder Schofield definitely sunk the South-Coast club.

Young Doni Clarke, on for Schofield, added two more while missing a penalty by shooting straight at the goalkeeper.

When the final whistle was blown, a strange silence descended on Home Park, barely disturbed by the players screams of victory and the away fans celebrations.

The electronic scoreboard read "Argyle 2 - Huddersfield 7".

And now Andy knew.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LucasGills For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I put the next part yesterday evening but it's still not there.

I got a quick message on screen saying something about moderators needing to review it. Any idea why ?

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    It appears the spam guard doesn't like image shack anymore

vCash
    Uh woah. Just took a monthly abo there for this story

vCash

11 August 2001

While the journalists were frantically checking their stats to determine when was the last time the Terriers had scored seven goals away from home Andy was looking at his players with pride.

The dressing room was in joyous mood, Joe Jordan and the other staff members joining the players in their vocal celebrations and distributing pats and even punches all around.

It had not been a long time but Andy liked this lot so much. Jordan, ex Scottish star striker, was the assistant manager when he arrived at the club and he had been more than happy to keep him at this position. His long experience and famous fighting spirit were an asset to the club and Andy simply loved the guy.

The other two coaches and the physio were all nice men, humble and dedicated to their jobs.

But most of all Andy loved his players. Each one had his own personality, history or aspirations that Andy would have to discover. But together they formed a great bunch, bound by the same goal: to make this club great again.

When Andy got home this night in the little apartment he rented on Coniston Avenue, he felt almost happy.
    Last edited by LucasGills; 09-02-19 at 02:58 PM.

vCash
    Host your banner elsewhere, that post isn't going to load correctly either

vCash
    Again the latest part of the story has been blocked. I'm giving admins a lot of work these days

Where do you guys upload your images to ?
    Last edited by LucasGills; 09-02-19 at 02:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Host your banner elsewhere, that post isn't going to load correctly either
    Hi Dermotron
    Thanks for the info. I saw a lot of you are using postimage, will change to this.

Do I have to re-post the latest chapter or can you deal with it ?

vCash
    You might consider restarting the story from scratch (with everything posted on PostImage.org) and have this false start removed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasGills View Post
    Do I have to re-post the latest chapter or can you deal with it ?
    No, I will fix it. Then maybe use postimages for new posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    You might consider restarting the story from scratch (with everything posted on PostImage.org) and have this false start removed.
    There's no need to start over. Everything is loaded that can / will load

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    No, I will fix it. Then maybe use postimages for new posts
    Thanks, will do

vCash

18 August 2001
    McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield

The next match was against Mansfield at the McAlpine Stadium and Andy made only two changes from the 11 who had performed so brilliantly at Plymouth. Young forward Doni Clarke was given the attacking midfielder spot while Danny Schofield replaced John Stead up front.

Andrew was quite happy with his transfers, three very experienced players and one talented young lad:

In the same time three players had been sold, bringing much needed funds into the club coffers:

Jenkins's sale to Hull had raised some eyebrows and a few players had resented it, but with the polyvalent Adie Moses and promising Irishman Thomas Heary, Andy felt he had enough material for the right back berth.

Only 4'460 spectators were present at the McAlpine, which was slightly disappointing, but Andy hoped the attendance would quickly catch with the team results.

He was barely seated however that Mansfield, repeating what had happened at Plymouth, opened the scoring. Just like in this game though it took the team 20 minutes to come back and turn the match with two more goals for Grimandi (19, 28) and one from Chris Holland (26).

Only one goal was scored in the second half, Mansfield seemingly happy to defend deep and take no risks. Doni Clarke was the scorer, tapping home after a shot from Schofield was blocked by the keeper.

The only bad news was an injury to centre back Jon Dyson that would sideline him for at least two weeks.

Last edited by LucasGills; 09-02-19 at 06:47 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LucasGills For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I wasn';t sure if you were Hudders or Plymouth then

2 fine victories

ODB database then

Some fine signigs - isn't Jamie Victory a bit of a 01/02 wonderkid?

What formation?

Wib wobbing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    I wasn';t sure if you were Hudders or Plymouth then

2 fine victories

ODB database then

Some fine signigs - isn't Jamie Victory a bit of a 01/02 wonderkid?

What formation?

Wib wobbing?
    Yeah original 3.9.68 DB. Charlton plays in the Premier League and Laurent Blanc is still patrolling Manu's rearguard

I'm playing 4312 with pressing and offside trap.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LucasGills For This Useful Post:

vCash

31 August 2001

Andy May was enjoying the warmth of the evening sun. A glass of wine in his hand, he was relaxing in a chair in the little garden attached to his flat.

In terms of results, the last few weeks had been nothing short of extraordinary. The initial victories against Plymouth and Mansfield had been followed by successes against Gillingham (in the League Cup), Brentford and Northampton.

Twenty years old Doni Clarke was scoring for fun: nine goals in five matches ! A couple of journalists were starting to compare him to Tony Woodcock. Like the former Forest and England striker, Clarke was rotting in the reserves when Andy came at the club. At Nottingham, then in second division, it had taken Peter Taylor's eye for talent and sheer persistence to convince Clough to give the young striker a chance in the first team. Woodcock went on to win the first division title, two league cups, a European cup as well as 42 caps for his country.

And so after four rounds the table looked like this:

Tomorrow Huddersfield received Wycombe, second with the same number of points, for the first clash of the season. The pundits were predicting a new victory for the Terriers but Andy kept quiet on the subject, fearing to put too much pressure on his players, particularly the younger ones.

The sun had long disappeared when Andy realised he had fallen asleep. Rising slowly from his chair, he suddenly shivered. The temperature had markedly fallen. And in the distance he could see a storm was approaching...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LucasGills For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Belter of a start!

ndy seems a worrier

Hope you don't lose games otherwise I don;t know what'll happy to Andy!

vCash
    You're pulling my leg if that's non Wib Wob but if so, ouch!

vCash
    I AM using a Wib Wob tactic from a pack I downloaded from this site. I also installed a pack of tactics for AI teams.

I had not started a CM0102 save for a few years and honestly I must say I was not expecting such immediate good results. Since my goal is to tell a story and not to win the Champions League with Blith Spartans, I may have to use a less effective tactic if it goes on like this.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LucasGills For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ah wib wobbing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Ah wib wobbing
    Let me understand because, as I said, I've not played this version for a few years and so I may be a bit out of date: has wib wobbing somehow become "forbidden" because it's too much of an advantage for human players ? But what if AI teams also use it ? Does it not equalize the chances ?

Compared to the current versions of FM this one offered much less tactical subtilities so, in my opinion, it's a pity not to use them all, don't you think so ? Or have I missed something ?

Really interested to hear your and other people's opinion here.

By the way are you guys enjoying the style of this story ?
    Last edited by LucasGills; 10-02-19 at 02:36 PM.

vCash
    Using WibWob against the default tactic means you can easily win anything with any team.

So to make the game (or a story) realistic and fair you basically have two choices.

1) Don't use WibWob so you are just as handicapped as the AI-managed teams.
    2) Have the AI teams also use WibWob

See my thoughts - and how to accomplish this - in this thread:

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10233

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast