Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A-Z of Music

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash

A-Z of Music

Thought this might be a bit of fun and get us listening to some music we wouldn't normally necessarily come across.

The premise is simple enough - using a band's name, go through the alphabet (e.g. The All-American Rejects, Bastille, The Cranberries etc.) and post a video of a song that you like and tell us a bit about it! Make sure it's a song you actually like rather just posting one for the sake of it. Once we get through to Z, start again! Try to refrain from double-posting (unless for bumping purposes if it goes quiet) so that as many people as possible can get involved

I'll kick us off with Arctic Monkeys - What If You Were Right The First Time?

I've never been too fussed on Arctic Monkeys, but my mate loves them, which probably explains why I've heard this because it's just a Brianstorm B-side - so wasn't released and doesn't feature on any of their albums. Anyway, I heard it and loved it - I thoroughly recommend it for running/workout playlists. Enjoy!

(hopefully you understand what's going on - next person posts a song that they like by a band beginning with 'B', then 'C' and so on)
    Run out of vCash? You can request a recharge here!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to riise For This Useful Post:

vCash

Too easy

The song details how the E Street Band formed and how the early days went - the best band intro ever
    Last edited by jacobclear; 18-02-19 at 11:13 AM.

Tournaments Won: 10

vCash
    Not going into any detail as riise requested, jacobclear?

Learning new songs/lyrics are a bit of an effort for me, especially as I get older so I find myself back in the late 90's/early 2000's when it comes listening to my music. One of the first gigs I went to was to see the Coral and I was absolutely obsessed with one song in particular - Dreaming of You. It pretty much covers the Indie era for me and will always be right up there as a firm favourite of mine.

vCash
    Well, I won't be original.

D in my alphabet can stand for any band, but I will pick Disturbed. I totally love this band, but it's a bit of shame people now talk about their cover of Sound of Silence way more than other songs.

For me, this band, was one of first ones I respected for their lyrics. They can let you live through shit days and it's a nice metal band in general when you want something softer sounding (an additional note should be: There is NOT a single BAD Disturbed album).
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/info0
    Twitch.tv: infonator07
    Twitter: info0

Donators welcome

vCash
    This is my kind of game!

American outfit "Earthside" debuted with the album "A Dream in Static" in 2015. Made up by members of various bands I won't list here because you don't know them anyway, their music is shifting between atmospheric, hard and proggy. This song is instrumental, but rest assured there are some stunning vocals on this album as well. Guest starring Moscow Studio Symphony Orchestra - what's not to like?

Put on your headphones and crank it loud.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    One of the first gigs I went to was to see the Coral and I was absolutely obsessed with one song in particular - Dreaming of You.
    Served as a soundtrack to a fair few of my teen years, too - not least because they're from near me (I think at least one of them went to my school...) so everyone buzzed off them.

I've created a Spotify playlist for this, so I will get round to listening to the other submissions! I'll link it if/when we get to Z!

I'm trying not to spam this thread but I can't resist the opportunity to post Future Islands. I've gone with my favourite song of theirs, Tin Man. You may have heard of Future Islands but they didn't really get famous until their fourth album, so (and I don't wanna sound all Indie Guy here, but it's true...) a lot of people aren't aware of their older stuff, which I reckon is their best stuff.

Anyway, I happened to hear this song on Radio 6, probably almost 10 years ago, and loved it straight away. I like 80s New Wave/Synth so the synth on this must've grabbed me immediately. Throw in the superior production value of a modern song and the singer's distinctive sound and I was hooked.

Luckily I got to see them live before they became relatively well-known - last time I tried to see them I couldn't get tickets!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to riise For This Useful Post:

vCash

Well, this one is also obvious. Gorillaz. The band created by two guys and using animated characters in video clips. Kind of a novelty back in the days.

Noodle is still my favorite character after all those years lol xD.

Donators welcome

vCash

Human League - reason is us Oldham fans sing Jose Baxter baby to the chorus.

vCash

I was never a fan of Incubus, but this song was immensely popular back in the day and it's easy to understand why.

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there // with open arms and open eyes, yeah"

Played it to death in my teens. Still a great song! Unless this is just nostalgia talking, haha.

vCash
    Great idea for a thread and can go on for ages!

Quite simply - my favourtie song EVER

Fecking love busting the moves when this comes on - ANYWHERE

vCash

German music in the 70s was absolutely boss and so influential on so much that comes later on. Not just Kraftwerk, but also Neu! Can, Amun Dul, Ash Ra Temple and many more.

This Kraftwerk tune I have always found to be essentially the musical embodiment of sitting in a comfy chair with pipe and slippers, looking back on a life lived and wondering how much more there might be yet to discover. Magic! I love that combination of sterile technology being used to make a sound so warm and homely in nature
    Last edited by Kenny Dalglish's Smile; 18-02-19 at 10:46 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Speaking of most influential bands, honorable mention to: Lacuna Coil

Still rocking on scene since formation in 1994! Also a point to take, they are from Italy and from 1996 they have same female lead vocalist: Cristina Scabbia.

I do wonder if we would have as many female metal vocalist bands if not for Lacuna Coil popularity back in the days? I did fell in love with them from first hearing. Brutal male vocals and pure female vocals combo is untouchable .

Donators welcome

vCash
    The Gathering released their Always album back in 1992. I guess they set the tone and trend here in the Netherlands for this type of music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    The Gathering released their Always album back in 1992. I guess they set the tone and trend here in the Netherlands for this type of music.
    ag forgot about them. Anneke <3

Donators welcome

18. The Following User Says Thank You to info0 For This Useful Post:

AJ

vCash
    Can't believe no one is going for M as there are soooo many good choices here. I will go for a little bit of an obscure one with:

Mel Smith and the Night Riders.

Why? Because back in the 50s there were so many bands who basically had no idea what they were doing when it came to production and among a lot of uninspired failures you can stumble across some utterly raw little gems such as this one. Brutal bassline probably played on a stick and piece of rope, double cow bell, guitarist just making it up as he goes along... really cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    Can't believe no one is going for M as there are soooo many good choices here.
    It took a tremendous amount of restraint for me not to post a Modest Mouse song

vCash

N. Nightwish. There won't be another band like this. Period. Toumas is musical genius. All stuff he has written for Nightwish is insane. Be it Tarja, Annette, or Floor Jansen he knows how to write a piece fitting each vocalist... Again one of those bands which have no a single bad album.

Donators welcome

vCash
    N

Well - just because it's my FAVOURITE EVER PLAYER "rapping" in a song - it has to be New Order - World in Motion

Barnesy is actually pretty good on the mic - doesn't need to be asked twice to blast out some sort of tune - Rappers Delight is one of his fave's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by info0 View Post

N. Nightwish. There won't be another band like this. Period. Toumas is musical genius. All stuff he has written for Nightwish is insane. Be it Tarja, Annette, or Floor Jansen he knows how to write a piece fitting each vocalist... Again one of those bands which have no a single bad album.

Feck sake - beat me to it

Ok

O

I went through a "grunge" stage when I was a kid, Pearl Jam, Nirvana etc

This is a BELTER of a tune from Offspring I loved

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'll try and still to Australian only music to give everyone a taste of what I enjoy.

Here's a bit of a belter from the ever legendary Paul Kelly, a frequent play on the radio

vCash
    Pure 80s blues rock track from Jacob, there!

Not sure all this pomp-Metal is my cup of tea, info0, but that's the fun of a thread like this, listening to some stuff I would never normally have a clue about. I'm assuming my kids are going to blaring that stuff out of their bedrooms in a few years, lucky me. Going to invest in a set of high end, noise cancelling cans

vCash
    You know, if you went to a record store looking for Paul Kelly music you would find it under "K" ...

Q. You knew someone would post this, so I'll go ahead and get it over with. It's just one of those classics. Goosebumps. That kind of stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JLa View Post
    Q. You knew someone would post this, so I'll go ahead and get it over with. It's just one of those classics. Goosebumps. That kind of stuff.
    ]
    Certainly couldn't think of any other Q bands/artists off the top of my head!

For 'R' I'm going for Run The Jewels. The only way I really hear new music now is from my 'Discover Weekly' playlist on Spotify (they present 30 songs a week based on my listening habits) - this song came from that and has been on my main playlist for probably about a year! Not my usual thing, and I didn't like any other songs on the album when I gave it a listen, but I like this song at least!

Tournaments Won: 10

vCash
    S it is...

Another old school one from the 90's. It takes me back to the days of being in high school and following music on Top of the Pops! With subtitles also surprisingly in tune on the TV back then, it was a great way to be introduced to modern music at that time! So these were one of the first bands I got into (along with Travis) and a few years ago, one of my best friends and I fulfilled a dream to see them live at V Festival

vCash
    Big T

We'll go for The Screaming Jets with Better, a classic rock hit from a one hit wonder that I've seen live, great song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JaDPHbFs4

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast