Thread: Is it possible to run a network game on 3.9.60?

vCash

Is it possible to run a network game on 3.9.60?

I was able to get network games running in the past but patches versions.

I was planning to play with my brother but the original unpatched version.

I've followed all the steps for win 7 and am getting the 'network game could not be created.'

It's on win 7 (running win NT4)
    Have deleted IP
    The ~net.out file shows my hamachi IP
    Tried disabling antivirus & firewall
    Last edited by Foggy; 07-04-19 at 08:21 AM.

Tournaments Won: 5

vCash
    Have you followed every step of this tutorial: https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9564.

So Windows NT 4.0 compatibility AND Run as administrator? Also did you make sure to set it for ALL USERS?

Did you download the right version of Hamachi from this website?

Have you deleted the cpuinf32.dll file that's inside the Data folder?

You said you have deleted IP, but you should not delete that. You need to double click that to generate a ~net.out file.

Did your IP address stay in the ~net.out file even after saving?
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

vCash
    I assume you mean 3.9.60? as in ODB - yes it is, I have a current game with Pepe, and we're into the latter part of season 2. No patches applied or anything, literally as it is when first installed.

What Ray says above, but also, have you checked the ~net file to ensure it matches that of the IP number? if not, copy the ~net to the desktop, edit it there (from desktop) an change to match your hamachi, save it (on desktop) then copy the ~net from desktop and paste into your CM over riding the other one - as you can't edit the ~net file whilst its in the cm directory

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    Have you followed every step of this tutorial: https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9564.

So Windows NT 4.0 compatibility AND Run as administrator? Also did you make sure to set it for ALL USERS?

Did you download the right version of Hamachi from this website?

Have you deleted the cpuinf32.dll file that's inside the Data folder?

You said you have deleted IP, but you should not delete that. You need to double click that to generate a ~net.out file.

Did your IP address stay in the ~net.out file even after saving?
    Thanks for replying GFRay...

Yes to the first three... I deleted IP after clicking on it to generate the net file. I noticed though that there was one net file created which appeared in the cm0102 folder but another when I clicked on the 'compatibility files'.

I manually entered the Hamachi IP on the net out from the compatibility files net file and the other one which appeared in the default folder showed my local 192... IP. I then changed that manually to the Hamachi IP as well.

Yes, both of the net.out files show the correct Hamachi IP after saving (I had to save on the desktop first, then move it to the folder, also set read only on them.)

I did get a message when I download and installed Hamachi that one of the drivers wasn't installed because it is unsigned and windows cannot install an unsigned driver... That could be the issue possibly (?)

@offside trap thanks for the reply, yes I did mean that and I did do as you've described.

vCash
    Why did you delete the IP icon, if you dont mind me asking? normally, you need to double click this, which basically creates a tunnel from Hamachi to CM, although nothing happens, its imperative to do this. a ~net file if gone/deleted will auto recreate when you goto network play on the cm main screen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offside Trap View Post
    Why did you delete the IP icon, if you dont mind me asking? normally, you need to double click this, which basically creates a tunnel from Hamachi to CM, although nothing happens, its imperative to do this. a ~net file if gone/deleted will auto recreate when you goto network play on the cm main screen.
    Initially I didn't delete the IP icon, but I noticed the game was taking a lot time to get from one screen to another when clicking on 'start network game' and the following screens (I don't recall that happening before).

The game wasn't created so I had a look on a few threads on here, older ones, and saw someone mentioning deleting the IP icon to stop it automatically generating anything altogether.

I only deleted the IP icon after an net.out file was already made.

vCash
    i've uninstalled and reinstalled both cm and hamachi and the problem seems to be that clicking the ip always gives a 192 ip address in the net file.
    if I manually change it, the game crashes while being made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offside Trap View Post
    Clicking it only creates a net file with a 192 ip address and not my Hamachi IP.
    Is it supposed to generate a net file with my Hamachi IP without me needing to manually input?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Clicking it only creates a net file with a 192 ip address and not my Hamachi IP.
    Is it supposed to generate a net file with my Hamachi IP without me needing to manually input?
    No it always generates a file with the 192.xx IP address and you manually change it by putting your hamachi's IP there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    No it always generates a file with the 192.xx IP address and you manually change it by putting your hamachi's IP there.
    Okay, so... Once I've manually input the Hamachi IP, I save the net file (via desktop) and then delete the IP exe?

I've tried leaving it there and setting the net file as read only. It becomes jerky and crashes while the network game is being made.

I've also tried deleting the IP exe after setting the net file but the game finishes initialising shortlists then says failed to create network game... I wonder what it could be.

What would be the normal procedure after setting the net out IP to match Hamachi?

And how is it that I have two net files, one when I click compatibility files and one in the default cm directory...(?)

vCash
    Mate I have no clue what you're doing wrong, but it seems like you're not following the instructions to the latter.

Just start completely over with a fresh install and then follow this to the latter step by step: https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9564.

vCash
    I've done that now for a second time. After I change the address on the net.out file under compatibility files manually I'm able to save it just by clicking save.

But once I try to create s network game a new net file is generated in the default CM directory (not under compatibility settings) and the game is created on 192 server.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else can help if able as well

Thanks in advance!

vCash
    Okay try changing the normal ~net.out file and not the one under compatibility settings. I've never done that compatibility settings stuff so that might be the issue.

vCash
    Yeah, I've tried that as well... I don't recall fiddling around with compatibility files last time.

vCash
    An idea for you Foggy - either Ray or myself could do it for you, remotely, I think its a small issue, and more than fixable, maybe a fresh pair of eyes might see the problem