Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alphabet Game #5 - March 2019 Update

vCash
    A little (more) consistency throughout the season is all I'm asking for. Not the most convincing start in the cup was followed by four consecutive league wins. Of course we couldn't keep that record going, but at least we managed to stay in touch with the most important place(s). Our traditional blip in form did come round the corner, however, and this time all six play-off ties were part of the seven in a row without a win... Like AJ noticed before, many winners of the play-offs don't leave our division after all, so maybe that's a comforting thought in this case.

Spoiler!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The loan deal of this player to MVV in the second half of last season caught my attention. I couldn't quite believe PSV's (former) captain was fallen out of grace this much. When I checked, his contract turned out to be up in the summer. I felt sorry for one of my first signings, who asked to be placed on the transfer list because of homesickness. Let us just say Luuk de Jong didn't disappoint in this league, scoring 28 goals for us in all competitions during 2021/2022. It would've been even better when a few of his teammates matched those stats...

Spoiler!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Avoiding the play-offs, but not like last year, seemed to stay the aim. Luuk de Jong gave it his all and found the net ten times more than during his first season at Almere City. That led to us achieving (at least) a play-off place in the first half of the season. As usual, our form dropped (slightly) afterwards. I still don't know if winning one of the periods takes away the focus from the bigger achievement that this tier has on offer. Perhaps I'm just not good enough to leave this level behind me...

Spoiler!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Is it imperative that we keep with Almere to get A or could we go elsewhere?

vCash
    go wherever you like for your A.

vCash
    Having four or five million euros on the bank a few years ago wasn't enough to convince the board to invest in expanding our stadium. Using it for purchasing players and paying higher wages didn't work out the way I had hoped, so I didn't replace all who went out of contract. Instead, I brought in some very promising players on loan. In his third and final year with us, Luuk de Jong was undoubtedly the star of the show. For the second successive season he produced a goal tally of almost forty and by doing so, he got past the century mark (28 + 38 + 37) as well!

Spoiler!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    go wherever you like for your A.
    and it doesn't have to be an A you move to.
    You DON'T have to do this challenge in Alphabet order.

I should be getting back to my go at some point tomorrow. When last I played, I hadn't been able to find a path out of Almere City as yet. Season was about to start so hopefully a couple of decent Champions League results might bump my rep enough to get me out of there!

Stories Mod

vCash
    Just loaded up for a quick blast.

Applied for a job, probably out of my reach, and my name was added to the Slightly Insecure list.

Might have to be more selective on what I apply for!

EDIT: Won the Dutch Charity Shield equivalent though.

vCash
    Another bunch of high earners went out of the door and the board of directors gave me the task to improve the squad. As such, a whole lot of Bosmans and a few loanees were added to the first team. They had some trouble getting to know each other's style of play, to say the least. Around Christmas, I was so desperate that I even applied for the Emmen job. Of course I didn't get it and showed my loyalty to Almere City. Don't worry, I still like this (sub)challenge!

Spoiler!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

Stories Mod

vCash
    Ouch!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

Stories Mod

vCash
    So, a full 221 days after I won Eredivisie, I had taken Almere forward, they were top of the table, unbeaten, and halfway to retaining the title. They were also in the last 16 of the Europa League (defeating Ajax in the Round of 32) and still in the Dutch Cup.

Could I find a job?? Could I heck.

Until now.
    It is a massive step down, it will kill any reputation that I might have built, it's not even a top flight side, it has barely anything going for it but incidentally it is actually a B even though I didn't actually need one.

I'm finally leaving the Netherlands!

Spoiler!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

Stories Mod

vCash
    We start 3rd in the Northern Irish Championship (second tier).
    I would be replacing Steve Morison who had gone to be player/manager at Guiseley in the English Northern Premier.

The side can't be that bad as they have only recently been knocked out of the League Cup at the Semi Final stage. They are top of the form table, have won the last three and are unbeaten in the last 6.

There are downsides. None of the decent players want to stay. They all want to move to a 'bigger club'.

And the more pressing issue is. The club is 3.4m in debt.
    So best case scenario, the unhappy players play themselves into the shop window and I can sell them on, clearing some of the debt. I highly doubt that is what will happen though.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Almost losing my job got me doubting about the future myself too. Being allowed to stick around after all and having another year to rebuild the team, restored a bit of my confidence. No real world-beaters arrived at the club and I even decided to change nothing about the tactics or the formation. All I can say is that this was a truly surprising season, which gave expecting the unexpected a whole new meaning. Tasting defeat in four of the last five regular league fixtures had us missing out on a second-tier championship for sure...

Spoiler!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

Stories Mod

vCash
    Congrats on getting up to the top tier.
    That Fourth Period nearly cost you!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

Stories Mod

vCash

Managed to overhaul both Sport and Leisure and Coleraine to the second tier title. Now to bring in some faces to make a tilt at the top flight.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Congrats on getting up to the top tier.
    That Fourth Period nearly cost you!!
    Thanks!!!

It required some hard work to finally get there!

Stories Mod

vCash
    First season in the Northern Ireland top flight.
    So close but so far. Will need to add some bodies to the squad.

My World Rep has taken a massive hit since I've been here though.

Down 400 or so and at 1927th at the end of the season.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

Stories Mod

vCash
    Well my weekend of playing has been worthwhile...........JUST.

At the beginning of February, I was 10 or 11 points clear. We didn't win for the whole month and Dungannon pegged us back to level points but we had a better goal difference. They drew a game three from home to give us the advantage that we just about held onto.

Letter number 2 done.
    I don't see myself getting a decent job next though. I'm only third best manager in Northern Ireland and way down ranked at 1752 in the world.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Our debut season in the Dutch Eredivisie started rather comfortably with an opening day win at home to Feyenoord. That immediately put my mind at ease for the remaining 33 matches, but to face the truth, the breakpoint of this campaign emerged soon afterwards and we never recovered from it as well. I still don't think we were (or are) that bad, although the stats do tell a completely different story. Not a single win in 2027 simply isn't enough to reach anything. Welcome back to earth, boys...

Spoiler!

Stories Mod

vCash
    Oh bad times.

What's the tactic? Non Wib Wob obviously but a default one or one of your own?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Oh bad times.

What's the tactic? Non Wib Wob obviously but a default one or one of your own?
    No killer tactic indeed. It's the one I use at Lech in my story too:

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The reality check we received from playing in the top flight didn't do us any good when returning to the division we are so used to play in. We were seriously damaged or I just can't get things to work properly over here... Some good wins weren't enough to string together a set of decent results and that made it almost impossible to lift the spirits. This will probably be about staying with this club forever, without filling the trophy cabinet. Almere City till I die!

Spoiler!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    We started a season at this level for the tenth time already. Highs and lows within a single campaign aren't new to me, but it's always nice to keep on trying. It was also the last year with us for the guy who came in as Luuk de Jong's understudy and did ever so well while serving Almere City. After a few years of personal problems, he decided to sign on a Bosman for a club playing a division higher at that time. We now know his new team will be facing us at least twice in the upcoming season...

Spoiler!

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

Stories Mod

vCash
    2 points short of being Champion.
    Very unlucky!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

Stories Mod

vCash
    I've been at Ballymena so long I've actually ended up winning the league a second time but I still can't get a sniff of a decent job.
    The only job that was offered to me was in the Turkish 2.Lig where the Classification Groups looked so confusing, I couldn't get my head round it and declined!

There has just been a glut of African National Managers fired so I applied for all available and..............

Should give my rep a bit of a boost if nothing else but African Nations have just gone by but there will be a World Cup on the horizon next summer.

Just taking the job has boosted my World Rep by a good 400 places! Now at 1339th!

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast