Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Alphabet Game #5 - March 2019 Update

vCash
    Well, nothing new here. The men in charge still considered us as relegation candidates. Based on our second attempt to qualify for the Europa League, albeit with an unfit squad, they were probably right. That did incite us to start the domestic league season like never before. Of course we were dreaming of bigger things way too soon and after our early elimination out of the Dutch Cup, followed by four straight away fixtures, things were pretty much back to normal. I was surprised that we didn't lose a lot of ground on the reigning champions, though!

Spoiler!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Speechless...

Spoiler!

vCash
    It's hard to believe, but after almost 22 seasons, I was separated from Almere City. Still empty-handed, the hunt for a new job started. Very patiently, I waited for the summer updates to go by first and then I only contacted clubs with acceptable accomodations (for me). When I had the choice between two of them, I had no trouble to even accept the fact that I was going to some third tier. The sloppy part being that I didn't check all of my messages carefully and totally missed out on the opportunity Boavista had to offer...

Spoiler!

vCash
    Given the performances during the previous season and the expectations of the board, namely a second consecutive relegation battle, I didn't bought a whole new team going into this year. We were doing all right again, but - like at Almere - I had the feeling the team could even do a bit better. Most of the times when we were looking up, we went down instead. Out of the blue, not completely because Cousin Itt is obviously American(ish), a chance to move came by. I wasn't convinced by the prospects they had to offer, so the Italian job is also turning into a long-term project...

Spoiler!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ouch, didn't see that sacking coming. And after so long!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
    Ouch, didn't see that sacking coming. And after so long!
    It took me by surprise too. Apparently just the one bad season (not even completed!) following several good ones was enough to kick me out.

vCash
    The ask for a respectable league position at the end of this new season proved to be a dubious request at my previous club. After a perfect start for Calcio Padova in the Coppa Italia Serie C, without me applying, the home nation of Cousin Itt came calling once more. With still a long way to go in Italy, this was a chance I simply had to take. Only five regular fixtures of the MLS - all of them on the road - to go and it would be nearly impossible to not reach the playoffs. A closed transfer window was the biggest disadvantage in terms of fielding players that suit my formation...

Spoiler!

It felt a bit like cheating to take over at this stage of the (American) season, but a lot of work had to be done nevertheless. I guess a return to Padua as an employee is ruled out now and the search for a new labour contract was on. The Portland Timbers owners weren't pleased by that fact, so after a while I wisely resigned. None of the real big guns were interested in my services, so I went for a lesser one with a stadium capacity of 32,000. They were demanding participation in the playoffs of their country's fourth level. I swiftly brought in a keeper (avg. 7.55 in his first six months with us) and a striker (avg. 7.47 in the opening half of 2043) to keep them going.

Spoiler!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Looks like being sacked from Almere finally got your game's pace up, congrats on the first title!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
    Looks like being sacked from Almere finally got your game's pace up, congrats on the first title!
    It could have been worse indeed. Thanks!

vCash
    After 25 seasons and finally collecting my first letter, it was back to a relegation struggle down at the English Football League One in my first full campaign with newly-promoted Barnsley. The striker I brought in when I took over half a year ago showed the world that he was good enough for this level as well, with ten goals in his first five games, adding another five in as many following fixtures too. Obviously he couldn't keep things up at that pace, but we were still looking safe in mid-table and then I had the surprising chance to jump ship...

Spoiler!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Compared to last season, the board gave me the exact same task. With a few new faces arriving, I wasn't afraid of going down at all. Around New Year, we were in the position to have a look at both the places above us as well as the ones below us. If only we at least could stay in there for the second half of the 2044/2045 season. I like to think a single red card for us on mathdays 44 and 45 changed our fortunes quite a bit, but despite yet another cry for help from my fictional motherland, I definitely wanted to play that final round too.

Spoiler!

vCash
    We were slowly getting used to being considered relegation material, even by the members of our own board. If we could pick up just a few more points than last year, playing in another division at a completely different level was a possibility too. I wasn't sure we were capable of doing just that, but we weren't exactly underperforming. Then, suddenly, I had to think long and hard about a return to top-flight football in a country where (sort of) English is also the main spoken language...

Spoiler!

When I found out that the amount of (quality) players that were interested to join the Galaxy didn't reach the sky, it might already be a first sign of this move being a mistake made by me. We had a pretty young and rather talented squad, which was strengthened - as far as possible - with a few more adolescents. Nonetheless, I had high hopes for us to do better than during the last season before my arrival. Gaining over only fourteen points in 32 Major League Soccer group games sounds doable by all means!

Spoiler!

vCash
    My first annum in charge didn't lift any reputation and so it remained difficult to attract many (better) players to the club. Doubling our points tally again would have been a big ask no matter what. Maybe the maturing of the already available bunch was enough to improve last year's results. That didn't exactly go according to plan and I began to wonder if even a single league win was on the cards for us. Just when things went up slightly, on the first day of August (2047) the save gave up on me, with the game exiting without any notification whatsoever. I guess this is end of story for me...

Spoiler!

vCash
    Last edited by adnams; 07-09-19 at 06:31 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adnams For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456