Thread: Player Instructions

vCash

Player Instructions

There have been a couple of posts on this topic recently, but I wondered if there are any specific effects in the game engine that people know about caused by player instructions - and maybe team settings - which aren't necessarily common knowledge.

I can think of a few things I have seen, e.g.

If you put DR/DL on back for defensive set pieces they will go on the goal line/posts and you will occasionally see the commentary say 'XXX heads the ball off the line'. So far as I know ONLY DR/DL will do this - although I'm not sure about wingbacks. DC's definitely DON'T do it - they head things away, but not off the goal line. Defending on the line is questionable if you play with offside trap, IMO.

Here's another one that is probably well known, but a SC put on defend back will definitely defend in the area. Again you will see in commentary 'XXX heads the ball clear'. If I have a tall SC with good heading I will generally set them back for defensive set pieces, rather leaving my wingers or inside forwards up the pitch to counter attack.

If you set MR/ML to normal for attacking set pieces then you will see quite a lot of short corners.

Finally, if you set men behind the ball (team) and hold up ball (player) then you will see in the commentary 'XXX tries to hold on to the ball' and similar. Usually you will see this when the opposition is defending a lead from around 80 minutes on the clock. As far as I know you must have men behind the ball to get this.

Be interested to hear of any others people have figured out.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'd love if someone did some research when taking corners and set pieces, what affects what and so forth.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rxx For This Useful Post:

vCash
    When you look at the commentary text file you will see that for corners, there are several possibilities (events) that the game can point to and it will then pick a random phrase from that particular event. There can be numerous phrases depending on which commentary file you use.

# EVENT_TAKE_CORNER

Event #64 is the most common one and phrases used are:
    'lifts the corner into the area', 'floats the ball over into the area', 'swings the corner into the box', 'drift the corner in', etc. etc.
    This seems to be the default event.

# EVENT_TAKE_SHORT_CORNER

Event #496 is rather exceptional and perhaps indeed mostly used with wingers. Not sure about that, though.

# EVENT_TAKE_CORNER_TO_EDGE_OF_BOX

Event #497 seems slightly different. Not sure when or why this is being used.

# EVENT_HOLD_NEAR_CORNER_FLAG

Event #499 is the most obvious event.
    Phrases are 'to waste time', 'to run down the clock', etc.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Interesting thread. I've often wondered about the short corners and the running the clock down, because I've only ever see the AI get these, not my own team.

vCash
    Great post there, that makes a lot of sense and Im really glad to know the match engine takes all those little details into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    If you put DR/DL on back for defensive set pieces they will go on the goal line/posts and you will occasionally see the commentary say 'XXX heads the ball off the line'. So far as I know ONLY DR/DL will do this - although I'm not sure about wingbacks. DC's definitely DON'T do it - they head things away, but not off the goal line. Defending on the line is questionable if you play with offside trap, IMO.

Here's another one that is probably well known, but a SC put on defend back will definitely defend in the area. Again you will see in commentary 'XXX heads the ball clear'. If I have a tall SC with good heading I will generally set them back for defensive set pieces, rather leaving my wingers or inside forwards up the pitch to counter attack.
    Thats great. If we see in real life when the DR/DL are defending a corner they are very frequently positioned inside the goal line between the goalkeeper and the goalpost to protect the goal (like a second, or third, goalkeeper), while the DCs are put to mark the opposing players and the SCs are positioned more like to intercept the cross. So it perfectly matches what those messages say. And in this case as its a corner the offside trap instruction may be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    If you set MR/ML to normal for attacking set pieces then you will see quite a lot of short corners.
    Great detail too. Normal set pieces mean they will be positioned by the WIB top left/right screens during corners. As they are MR/ML they will be close to the ball in a corner, so the player who kicks the corner can decide to kick a short corner to them, so that message makes a lot of sense indeed.

Logically, since short corners are triggered by ML/MR on Normal, corners to the edge of the box might be triggered by an AM on Normal. So if you have an AMC or AMR/L with good technique and long shot, maybe setting him on Normal for attacking corners is a good option. Your corner taker probably needs to be decent too though.

Edit: Three matches with an AMC set to Normal and none of the corners were to the edge of the box.
    Last edited by Effiong unmarked!; 27-04-19 at 08:59 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Effiong unmarked! For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    And in this case as its a corner the offside trap instruction may be ignored.
    From the corner, yes, but it makes it harder to play offside to any cleared ball put back into the box

vCash
    What does "normal" actually do, anyway? Never quite understood these settings.

I hadn't thought about it before this thread, but it seems that Normal puts the player where you would expect it to be if the ball was in the attacking corner. Or at least I think that's what it does.

vCash
    So, is it

Normal: positioned as per wib wob
    Forward: positioned at opponent goal
    Back: positioned at own goal

??

Might as well go 'normal' for everyone then, bar maybe 'forward' on DC's on attacking set pieces.. (if they have good heading - as they should)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JLa View Post
    So, is it

Normal: positioned as per wib wob
    Forward: positioned at opponent goal
    Back: positioned at own goal

??
    Basically yes but you need to divide it into attacking set pieces and defensive set pieces, and there are some more details.

As per the recent experiments it seem to be more like:

Attacking set pieces:
    -Normal: positioned as per the WIB from the square which the set pieces is going to be taken.
    -Forward: positioned at opponent box
    -Back: not positioned at opponent box, but I don't think he is positioned at own box (he is probably positioned more like in the midfield for example to protect a counter attack)

Defensive set pieces:
    -Normal: positioned as per the WOB from the square which the set pieces is going to be taken.
    -Forward: not positioned at own box, but it doesn't mean he is positioned at opponent box (he is probably positioned more like in the midfield for example to push a counter attack)
    -Back: positioned at own box (but there is a tactical difference for each position, for ex: DL/DR stay between goalkeeper and goalpost, while DCs mark the opponents in the box, SCs probably help intercept the cross, etc)

New discoveries may be made by new experiments though.

Quote Originally Posted by JLa View Post
    Might as well go 'normal' for everyone then, bar maybe 'forward' on DC's on attacking set pieces.. (if they have good heading - as they should)
    That depends on your tactical preferences. In attacking set pieces i like to put DL/DR back to protect from counter attack, and DCs 'forward', and if I dont want short corners then I put my ML/MR 'forward' or 'back'. While in defensive set pieces I like to put the tall SC back, and if I my DL/DR are small and bad markers then I want to have them act as a second (and third) goalkeeper instead of marking the opponents in the box so I put them 'back' too so that I get '<DL/DR> heads the ball off the line' messages.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 28-04-19 at 06:57 PM. Reason: divided WIB and WOB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MadScientist For This Useful Post:

I think that's what it is, yes, judging from this thread.

The snag with going normal for everybody bar your DCs is that most of your corners might be short or to the edge of the box, assuming the edge of the box thing actually is down to player settings. If you're sending your DCs forward you might want to just put the ball over normally. Or perhaps you'll get a good mix, in which case you are right.

Annoying in real life when your team sends the DCs forward but takes the corner short and never gets the ball in the box, isn't it?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Effiong unmarked! For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Effiong unmarked! View Post
    Annoying in real life when your team sends the DCs forward but takes the corner short and never gets ball in the box, isn't it?
    Exactly, I get so annoyed by that when my real life team does it, you cant believe! Even worse when the ML/MR who received the short corner decides to do some riscky dribbling and loses the ball having all the defenders in the opposing box...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MadScientist For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Interesting reading, never really see any of these commentary nuances as a x200 speed user. I remember Tapani saying that the Back/Forward set piece instructions were quite extreme - Back = Sweeper / Forward = Striker. He seemed to set most of them to Normal in Iodine.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saturn For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by saturn View Post
    Interesting reading, never really see any of these commentary nuances as a x200 speed user. I remember Tapani saying that the Back/Forward set piece instructions were quite extreme - Back = Sweeper / Forward = Striker. He seemed to set most of them to Normal in Iodine.
    Personally I think the commentary gives quite a bit of useful information about the players' performance.

Of course the commentary can occasionally be off (depending on which commentary file you use) because a random comment is picked from one of the "events".

For instance, #EVENT_SHOT_MISSED. If that event is triggered after a header and the text says "the shot was deflected" rather than "the ball was deflected" it shows that someone put a comment there which is specifically for shots while the event is used for both shots and headers. So the comment "the shot was deflected" should not have been one of the options for that event.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by saturn View Post
    It is fine margins... but there is very little evidence to support all on normal as the best approach.

If you don't have any players back when attacking set pieces you will concede counter attack goals, that is for certain. Iodine probably doesn't care about that due to the sheer number of goals, but if you play non-wibwob, for example, these things can matter.