Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sunderland ODB with restrictions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I wonder if those poor results are somehow related to the strongest XI missing some games recently or if just coincidence. Like maybe they actually lost a bit of match practice but not enough to appear in the screen, or if it affected their attributes, morale, etc...
    I am pretty sure morale was not an issue, looked as good as normal. Could be coincidence, very tough fixtures after all.

vCash
    May 27th. End of season update.

Last league match: An uneventful 0-0 draw away vs. Liverpool. So with that point I won the title During the match I realized that I had a somewhat superior goal difference compared to both Man Utd and Arsenal, so I would most likely have won the title even if I had lost the match. If I had lost with one goal, Man Utd would have had to win by four goals in their last match, Arsenal's goal difference was hopelessly bad actually. And Man Utd only won 3-1 at home against rock bottom side Crewe, and the score was 1-1 after 80 minutes, so there was never any danger of losing the title actually, as things panned out.

Since May 19th, end of season decreasing stamina kicked in, players gradually losing fitness. I was so lucky I met Man Utd in the Champions League final, since only the English teams have this problem (I don't have any other leagues turned on, and I checked Roma's squad, all their players stayed at 100% fitness all the way to May 26th).

However, as the date for the Champions League final vs. Man Utd came around, I saw that I had a severe disadvantage. I hade far more unfit players than Man Utd. It seems like coincidence/luck on their part was the main factor. It seemed like all players called up for International squads for the upcoming 2004 European Championships would rapidly rise back towards 100% fitness. Whereas all other players would continue to drop. And Man Utd had many more players called up for the European Championships than I did, unfortunately for me.

In the two starting lineups, Man Utd only had one unfit player, Veron starting the match at 89% fitness. I had four: DMC Petkov at 81% (yes that low, alternative options Sean Davis and Medina were at 80% or lower...), ML Castillo at 82%, MR Reuser at 82% (first choice Steve Finnan was at 74, sigh), AMC Bo Hansen at 81%.

Even so, I was the superior side. Shot statistics was something like 8/4 for me and 3/3 for Man Utd.

I lost 2-0 though My otherwise so brilliant first choice keeper Eleftheropoulos (95% fitness) played very poorly and got a 6. Whereas their keeper Barthez played brilliantly and got an 8, was on a 9 for most of the match, don't why he droppe. He tackling stats were 5/5 and 5 key tackles Grrrr. As so often before in CM, the goalkeepers where crucial for the outcome.

Sigh. So close, but not close enough.

I don't know whether I will continue this save and for how long. On one hand I feel like my current squad is at least on par with the very best teams in the world, Roma and Man Utd (possibly teams like Arsenal, Leeds, AC Milan, Lazio, Juventus and Inter Milan are also pretty much on that world class level). I would say that I have at least a 50-50 chance against any team in the world, bar terrible luck such as the fitness issue I had at the end of this season, since for some reason the season kept going untill May 26th this year. Think this is the first time ever that I have seen a season end later than May 19th. Sigh.

On the other hand, my team is still not clearly the best team in the world. That could give me motivation to play another season or two, to keep playing untill I establish myself as clearly better than even Roma and Man Utd. I don't know. We'll see.

I think other saves that I might do at some point in the future are these (with the same save restrictions as in this save):
    - Man Utd. Yes, I know it sounds very boring and it probably is. It is a purely subjective matter of taste, but for some reason I just always really liked Man Utd in this save. Love managing players like van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Veron, Keane, Butt (world class DMC, very underrated), Beckham, Scholes, Silvestre, Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Ronny Johnsen (world class DC as well as DMC), Barthez. So many elite players in that squad. And I always preferred the English leagues, so teams like Roma and Real Madrid never interested me much. A Man Utd save would be unlikely to last for more than 1-3 seasons since I tend to get bored when world dominance is established. But could be a fun little save.

- Everton. Experience how it feels to manage a club hopelessly in the red financially.

- Leigh RMI or Northwich Victoria. I assume these are the worst and most challenging Conference teams? To the best of my knowledge these are the two worst ones. Interesting challenge. Not sure which of these two teams to pick though. I have tried Scarborough before, but that side was clearly much stronger than Leigh and Northwich even if much more in debt. Scarborough clearly had a better reputation and could thus attract more and better freebies. And Scarborough has a lot of saleable assetts, so in reality their finances are much better than those of Leigh and Northwich. Also because Scarborough have a bigger stadium and more spectators, genereally generate more income.

- Aalborg BK. I used to live there for many years, like the town and the club. Also interesting challenge since Danish side FC Kbenhavn (Copenhagen) is very strong, so not a walk in the park to establish domestic dominance.

- IK Start Kristiansand. The team from my current home town, Kristiansand. Also interesting side in several ways. They start out in the second tier. The have a very very strong DMC who is a semi-CM legend I think, believe his name is Ousmane Nyan or something like that, believe his quality is at mid table Premier League level, perhaps even slightly higher. Anyway, Norwegian side Rosenborg is very very strong, so also domestically challenging for quite a while.

- A low level Italian team since Italy seems like the most competetive country, at least as competetive as England, many world class serie A sides. Don't know if I can find Italy interesting enough though, but maybe I will give a try in the distant future.

- Real Madrid. They seem to have the strongest finances in the game. Again, don't know if I can find playing in Spain interesting though.

- Roma. The best team in the game in my opinion. Wonder how many seasons it would take to establish clear world dominance. 1? Probably no more than two or three. Also might be fun to try and manage all the world class players like Totti, Batistuta, Cafu, Candela, Lassissi, Walter Samuel etc.
    Last edited by dane; 17-09-19 at 01:34 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dane For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Update. I think this save ends here, at least for now. I might pick up the save again at some point in the future and play another 1-3 seasons or however long it might take to establish Sunderland as obviously the best team in the world.

But for now I don't think I am motivated to play this save for any longer. I am probably already on par with the very best teams in the world, Roma and Man Utd. It seems like it is most likely only a matter of time before I am clearly better than them. Possibly already next season since I have more world class signings lined up, such as Taribo West, Mido, Gareth Barry and Konstantinopoulos. Furthermore I will have around 40m come July, so would probably spend another 10-20m on additional top players if or when I continue this save. On my shortlist a 20 year old Jose Antonio Reyes springs to mind, he already seems like an elite left winger almost at Giggs' level even at this age, and I can probably get him for around 10-11m. Reyes and Mido could be huge upgrades since per now I only have one elite winger, Steve Finnan, everyone else has avg. rating below 7.50 (Arca played worse than usual on the left wing this season).

So we will see if or when I get back to this save. If such a time comes around, I would probably start updating this thread again.

Actually I have more or less already started a Man Utd save... Think I will write about that in a new story post.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dane For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234