Thread: How/why does Ioninized tactics work?

vCash

How/why does Ioninized tactics work?

I have tried googling around, but can't seem to find anything on the topic.
    I was simply wondering if anyone knows or have theories about how or why iodinized tactics works as well as they do? I get that they share a certain kind of pattern in the WIBWOB, but how much can it be subject to change without loosing the superiority, and why does it confuse the match engine?

vCash
    The creator created them on a programming level rather than purely trial and error

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I believe one of the factors is the number of players positioned right next to the goal when attacking and when defending

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    The creator created them on a programming level rather than purely trial and error
    I didn't actually know that

vCash
    This.

And he also had a testing method which allowed him to perfect such tactics: https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8004.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

vCash
    Isn't the original question asking 'what is it about the result of that process which was so good?' rather than 'what process was used to build Iodine?' though? At least, this part: 'why does it confuse the match engine?'

In other words stuff that can be seen on the wibwob screens?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    Isn't the original question asking 'what is it about the result of that process which was so good?' rather than 'what process was used to build Iodine?' though? At least, this part: 'why does it confuse the match engine?'

In other words stuff that can be seen on the wibwob screens?
    Dermotron answered that question already: he build them on a programming level. Therefor he could probably see the flaws/glitches in the match engine and create something that would consistently take advantage of those.

I have no idea what those flaws/glitches are though.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

vCash
    I did not know that. Interesting.
    But yeah, basicly I was mosty wondering why or how it works. But when I look at the tread on how to make a great tactic (the one linked), it seems like it is more or less trial and error - and kind og shooting in the dark to see what works well.
    There is some basic things that I find is common among almost all great performing tactics (flooding the middle of the pitch, having many players bunched closely around the goals in each end, high back line, at least these three I think), but the iodinized tactics has this zig-zag pattern of the center players in the middle boxes, that is very recognizable.
    Maybe I am just a bit romantic. I was thinking about back in the day, where there were lots of theories about why certain tactical concepts worked (DDL, which as far as I remember was short for direct defence line fx, where you put your defenders in a kind of v-shape) and was thinking that this might still be the case that people think about these kinds of things. But maybe it has turned a bit more pro or systematic over the years.