Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting Names on the Map

vCash

Putting Names on the Map

Spennymoor Town

JS: Hopefully youíre all relaxed and ready to go, because football is back and weíre getting right to business today with the start of the Football League season. We have plenty to discuss in the next 3 hours before the action gets underway. Welcome back to the panel; Merse, Tis, Tommo and Charlie. Looking forward to the new season gents?
    CN: Other than being back here with you Jeff!
    JS: Thanks Charlie. Right we have lots to cover so letís get into it straight away. The first story we have to cover is Newcastle United and their unbelievable decline, amazingly they will be kicking off the 2022/23 season in League OneÖÖÖÖÖÖ.

*Show discusses Newcastle United for first half hour*

JS: Welcome back, and now to the Championship and we have to start with maybe one of the biggest football stories of the summer. Luis Suarez is back playing in England for the first time since he left Liverpool at the tender age of 35. Heís back here on a 6 month contract in a player/coach role at newly promotedÖ. Spennymoor Town! And for those of you who donít know too much about Spennymoor my panel now will now give you the low down on everything you need to know about the club and their amazing rise over the last 4 yearsÖ

*The panel all look at each other, each hoping for someone else to take lead on the subject*

JS: Donít worry guys, I hadnít relied on you four doing your research so I sent our own Chris Kamara to the Town of Spennymoor this week, where he spent some time with their assistant manager and Glasgow Rangers legend; Ally McCoistÖ

CK: Ally, howís it going?
    AM: Kammy, good to see you here. To be honest Iím surprised you found us!
    CK: Come on everyone knows Spennymoor, a small town in County Durham, just south of Newcastle.

Spoiler!

AM: Google is an amazing tool Kammy!
    CK: Haha, right letís get down to business Ally, howís life at Spennymoor? When you joined four years ago as assistant manager I bet you never could have foreseen what was to come! Four back to back promotions and an FA Trophy and Football League Trophy to add to the trophy cabinet along the way.
    AM: Chris, what can I say? After football management hadnít gone to well for me at Rangers when the gaffer called me up and offered me this job it seemed ideal for me. I got to be in football and stay out of the spotlight for a while!
    CK: Question of Sport didnít want you back then?
    AM: No, Sue hasnít been in touch! Letís face it if it wasnít for the Luis Suarez situation you guys probably wouldnít be having me on the show today!
    CK: Well it has taken everyone by surprise, thatís for sure! Rumours are heís earning around a million a month for this 6 month stint.
    AM: Look, I donít get involved in the financial side of things, all I know is after 4 promotions the gaffer went to the board and sold him on this idea. Bringing in someone with Luisí reputation is going to help us on and off the pitch. All the young players are looking to him on the training ground, and the club is buzzing. Over the previous four seasons we have come up each time, barely spending a penny. The board understand that the Championship is a much harder league to get out of and this is a big statement and maybe a gamble financially but if it pays off then the money spent will be a bargain. Luis was a free agent after leaving Barcelona in the summer and heís seen this as a chance to get into coaching and offer what he has left on the pitch in the Championship.
    CK: If it comes off it sure will be a genius stroke but if it goes wrong do you think the manager will have some serious questions to answer in the boardroom?
    AM: Kammy we both know what life in management is like so who knows. All I know is that 4 years ago the board hired a rookie to manage the club and are absolutely delighted with what he has done for them. What they have done this summer is show full faith in his abilities and we all hope for a successful season.
    CK: Well I certainly wish you guys all the best with the project. Now Ally do you have a bit of time to run through the squad for all our viewers who may not be familiar with many of the players on the books?
    AM: Sure, Iíd be glad to:

Spoiler!

Firstly we have 3 goalkeepers and our disposal Ė Jason Steele, who has been our number one signing last summer on a free transfer from Brighton, he has been a good influence on the squad as one of the more experienced members. Weíve just loaned Kai McKenzie-Lyle for the season to cover for Jason when required and weíve also got young Ashley Skelton in our reserve squad who has been here a few years now after coming through the academy.

Onto defence and we have the captain Yann Songoío, he joined us when we entered the football league for 100k, the club record transfer fee at the time. Bringing in an experienced defender to lead a young squad was seen as a no brainer and value for money and heís never let us down. Over the last few years heís been partnered at centre back by young Elliott Mellor who has been with us since our days in the national league after he was found without club. Ryan Shotton has come in this summer on a free transfer as we needed some more experience for this level and Andy Yiadom an experienced Ghanain international has also come in on a free transfer. Lee Coates has come in on loan from Swansea for the season and can play anywhere across the back four so provides great cover and we also have Ryan Jackson, Danny Klien and Keziah Veendorp as cover in defensive areas, all who have come in on free transfers over the years since I joined.

We have Benedict Dos Santos and Iraklis Garoufalias who can cover either at centre back or as holding midfielder, their versatility is very useful rotating the squad.

Young Ethan Erhahon has joined us for 450k from St. Mirren this summer and in pre-season has shown he has the talent to get straight into our first team. He will have tough competition from Mike Burton, George Thorne and Josh Hare who have all come in on free transfers and done very well in that position over the last four seasons.

In more advanced positions in midfield we have Frankie Merrifield, the first player the club paid a transfer fee for when we got to the football league (45k) and his goals from midfield have been key in our last two promotions. At the same time of signing Merrifield was also signed our play-maker George Green, another bargain at 24k from Chester. Ryan Williams and Marcus Tavernier both on loan from Middlesbrough are expected to battle it out with Green and Merrifield for the more advanced roles. We also have Finnish under 21 international Tommi Ahonen to provide good cover. Youngsters Callum McCarthy, Martyn Davis and Steven Willems will probably play in the reserves this season, while young academy prospect Jon Lowe has been sent out on loan to gain first team experience.

Finally onto the strikers and I donít really need to say any more about Luis Suarez so I will move onto the other four. We have Javi Blanco, a Spanish striker we gave a first professional contract to and boy has he repaid us over the last two seasons with 75 goals in 76 games! We have high hopes for new summer signings Miguel Angel Villa (325k from Coventry) and Charlie Wilson (325k from Bristol Rovers. While recent academy graduate Arthur Garner will play for the reserves this year.

CK: Well it sounds like a decent size squad and it will be interesting to see how the majority of these players adapt to the Championship having not played at this level before.
    AM: There is always that risk Kammy but from what Iíve seen I have full confidence we can perform at this level.
    CK: I canít wait to see if Blanco can do it at this level too, he terrorised defences in League One and League Two.
    AM: Aye, heís been a revelation, Luis being here will be great for him especially to learn off, if he can be half the player Luis has been then we have a real gem on our hands.
    CK: Well Ally all the best for the season and letís see if this adventure can continue!
    AM: Thanks Chirs, come and visit us again and I expect you to get here with no Google maps next time!

*Back in the studio*

JS: Well it really has been some four years and we can only wonder whatís round the corner. So Merse, youíll be watching their game today, looking forward to it?
    PM: Ah, I canít wait Jeff, Iíve always loved watching Suarez play and I hope he can show us some glimmers of magic in the Championship, even if it is only for half the season!
    JS: Do you think they have a genuine chance of promotion?
    PM: Look Jeff no offence to the other leagues they have played in but this is a hard, hard league to get out of. You donít get easy games in the Championship and they have a lot of players who havenít played at this level before.
    JS: So you think they will struggle then?
    PM: I didnít say that Jeff, it all depends on the influence Suarez is going to have on this squad, lose a few games in a row and heads may start to drop and it could be a long season.
    JS: Still on the fence a bit there Paul! Tis, what do you think? Have you seen much of them play before?
    ML: To be honest Jeff no, Iíve heard a lot about the boy Blanco and seeing him and Suarez up front together I cannot wait for. If that fires there could be lots of goals.
    JS: If Blanco does score the goals again I just wonder how long they can keep hold of him, apparently offers have come in from Premiership clubs over the last few seasons but they have managed to keep hold of him.
    ML: In this day and age everyone has a price Jeff and strikers who score goals are always going to get lots of interest.
    JS: Tommo, Iíll come to you on Suarez as an ex Liverpool player.
    PT: What can I say Jeff? When he played for us he was in his prime, what a player! One of the most talented guys Iíve seen in a Liverpool shirt!
    JS: Do you think he can show any of that form here at Spennymoor this season?
    PT: Jeff, it will be hard, heís got the talent but the pace has gone, keep him fit and I think heíll do ok but if Iím honest itís a huge gamble with the money heís meant to be on.
    JS: Managers these days are under so much pressure to get to the Premier League so surely itís a gamble worth taking though. Charlie, what do you think here, has the manager put all his eggs in one basket?
    CN: Iím not sure about all in one basket Jeff but he will be dying for this to come off. From what weíve heard the manager has had several other job offers including Stoke and Sheffield United and heís stayed loyal to the club and I just hope the board stay loyal to him if this gamble doesnít pay off.
    JS: Thanks guys, Iíve decided to do something interesting with this being such a big story and all five of us are going to write down on a piece of paper where we think Spennymoor will be when Suarez leaves the club in January. Iíll put these answers in an envelope and then we will read them out in the New Year. Good luck guys.
    PM: Can I submit mine after todayís game?
    JS: No Merse.... Right, I suppose we should mention todayís opposition as there are 2 teams playing. Spennymoorís Championship debut will come away to Oxford UnitedÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..

Spoiler!
    Last edited by James_y; 12-06-19 at 12:04 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Long, thorough intro had to read it in three sittings

Obviously Suarez stands out, but a fair few other recognisable names in there!
    Run out of vCash? You can request a recharge here!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to riise For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks, donít worry the story wonít be as bulky going forward, I didnít feel the first 4 seasons were worth a story until now so used this to summarise them and get my squad introduced. Going forward I plan to do some feature matches and brief detail of other matches as well as what is going on in the background. My objectives in my career are:

• Making a name of clubs and countries with no previous reputation
    • If I move club I have to start in the bottom division of a country I havenít managed in before with a team that has no trophy history
    • When I manage a nation they must not have ever won a major tournament (my reputation isnít good enough yet to get an international job)

To note I am using the March 2019 database and am not using any wibwob tactics, saved game editors or tools like CMScout
    Last edited by James_y; 19-05-19 at 10:46 PM.

vCash
    Nice writing style and enjoyed the Soccer Saturday element!

I reckon mid table in champoionship - whta formation you playing? How are finances looking - selling out the ground?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Nice writing style and enjoyed the Soccer Saturday element!

I reckon mid table in champoionship - whta formation you playing? How are finances looking - selling out the ground?
    Previous seasons I had been playing a 4-3-2-1 formation but with the squad having a different balance now I have switched to 4-1-3-2 this season.

Finances are not great Iíve been doing it on a shoe string budget, the club has a million left in the bank as the first time I get some good TV money I spent 2.5m to get Suarez to play for me for 6 months. I think in total Iíve still spent under 2m on other players and made slightly more than that selling players.

Ground got an extra 1000 seats this season to go up to 9,500, I was getting about 6000 last season but this season I hope to be able to up that quite a bit.

vCash
    August 2022

English Championship: Oxford United 0-3 Spennymoor Town

Erhahon gave Town the perfect start to the season scoring a debut goal in the 4th minute. Coates and Villa who had both come off the bench with 20 minutes remaining also both popped up with debut goals in the last 6 minutes of the game to flatter the visiting side with a 3-0 score line. Suarez had a quiet debut, captaining the side in place of the injured Songoío.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 5-2 Nottingham Forest

Blanco put Spennymoor ahead with his first of the season but Forest soon pegged them back through Seager. But then Town went goal crazy and managed to go in 4-1 at the break with goals from Merrifield, Tavernier and Blanco who got his second before half time. 2 minutes after the break and Blanco completes a memorable hat trick in the first Championship game to ever be played at Brewery Field. Seager did get a consolation goal for Forest with his second of the game but it wasnít to matter this was a day the locals would never forget.

English League Cup Round 1: Cambridge United 2-0 Spennymoor Town

After a great start in the league Spennymoor knew their focus and decided to test the rest of the squad, making 11 changes. It didnít pay off and 2 James Norwood goals sent them packing in the first round to lower league Cambridge.

English Championship: Sheffield Wednesday 3-3 Spennymoor Town

A horror first half saw Town 3-0 behind after 26 minutes. There must have been a dressing down at half time as the second half a different team showed up, Tavernier struck 2 goals before Blanco popped up in the 88th minute to save a point late in the day.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 4-1 Fulham

The goals continue to come for Spennymoor who were 3-0 to the good at half time with goals from Ahonen, Tavernier and a first Spennymoor goal for Suarez. Smith got Fulham back in the game straight after half time but with 10 minutes remaining substitute Villa killed off any hope.

August Summary:

Despite an early League Cup exit it had been a fantastic start to the season for Spennymoor, sitting in second place only behind Hull City who had a 100 percent record. The only game they didnít win in the league may be the most pleasing, showing great team spirit to get a point after being 3-0 down to Sheffield Wednesday. The manager was named Championship manager of the month in his first month managing at that level and Javi Blanco was named player of the month is his first season at this level, keeping up his amazing goal scoring record for the club, this performance had finally got him international recognition as he earned his first call up to the Spain under 21 squad, where he would make his debut coming off the bench.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by James_y; 20-05-19 at 12:28 PM.

vCash
    Unbeaten in the league, can't complain with that!

Blanco doing bits

Wouldn't get too upset about League Cup, but have a go at the FA Cup and pray for £££££s!
    Run out of vCash? You can request a recharge here!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to riise For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riise View Post
    Wouldn't get too upset about League Cup, but have a go at the FA Cup and pray for £££££s!
    I donít have enough depth in the squad to worry about that. I will give the FA Cup more of a go and any cash would be nice as I may be skint in the new year!

vCash
    Is this s wibb-wobbed tactic? Interesting to see a story taking place a few years in...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Is this s wibb-wobbed tactic? Interesting to see a story taking place a few years in...
    Nope, donít use wibwob. This season Iím playing 4-1-3-2, I do change some player and team instructions to suit the players I have but that is it

vCash

Smile

September 2022

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 4-2 Charlton Athletic

Free scoring Spennymoor started September where they had left off in August against struggling Charlton. Blanco (2), Merrifield and Suarez had put them 4-0 up before with 20 minutes remaining keeper Steele was sent off and Charlton managed to pull 2 goals back.

English Championship: Swansea City 0-2 Spennymoor Town

This game saw Elliott Mellor become the all time appearance maker for the club with his 111th game. 65 minutes into the game and the crowd seemed bored, it looked to be a certain 0-0, until:

Suarez picks up the ball and swivels
    Lascells comes to challenge him but Suarez dribbles past his man
    Suarez runs forward as Roberts comes to meet him
    Suarez nutmegs Roberts!
    Suarez skips past Duffy
    Driven low by Suarez
    Goal!!!!
    Suarez is bundled by his teammates as the away fans try to get on to the pitch!
    The Spennymoor camp have gone crazy after the goal of the season so far

After Suarez had turned back the years, Town wrapped the game up with 5 minutes to go as substitute Williams popped up with a goal.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 4-1 Aston Villa

With the games coming thick and fast Spennymoor rotated the squad a bit and it paid off, George Green, one of the players who kept his place in the starting 11 finally arrived in the Championship with a stunning hat trick. Ahonen was also on the score sheet as Villa never really got into the game.

English Championship: Leeds United 2-3 Spennymoor Town

Blanco gave Spenny an early lead after 2 minutes before Leeds turned the game round and were leading 2-1 in the 41st minute. Fortunately Blanco netted again after 43 minutes to take Town level at the break. A less dramatic second half only had one goal with Merrifield scoring with 30 minutes remaining to give Spennymoor a famous victory.

After the win over Leeds the media were all over the Spennymoor Town story, some papers claiming that no one could stop them. Javi Blanco was also the talk of the internet with several pundits sayings itís time for him to play at a higher level

English Championship: Forest Green 1-0 Spennymoor Town

With media praise comes pressure and it was obvious to show in this match as Spennymoor for the first time had expectations on their shoulders. Nichols struck in the first half for Green and Spennymoor failed to recover, the team struggled to put any passes together and the first league defeat of the season became inevitable.

September Summary:

It seemed set to be a 100% month for Spennymoor before media pressure got to them and the success maybe went to their heads, still they were top of the table and yet again the manager and Blanco picked up the monthly awards in the Championship. The club would be hoping the last result wasnít the start of a blip...
    Spoiler!

vCash
    October 2022

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 3-0 West Brom

Spennymoor looked to get back to winning ways but were off to the worst possible start as Mellor was given his marching orders for two yellow cards in the first 13 minutes. Fortunately for Town ten minutes later Almiron was sent off and the game was an even ten a side. The second red card turned the game and Blanco netted twice before Villa killed the game off.

English Championship: Spennymoor 2-0 Blackburn Rovers

Time for a top of the table clash as Spenny welcomed third placed Blackburn to Brewery Field. Spenny took the lead on 27 minuts through Merrifield and never looked to be in any danger although they only sealed the win with 4 minutes remaining through Villa.

English Championship: Spennymoor 1-0 Portsmouth

Another home game, another home win and another Villa goal. Brewery Field was starting to look like a fortress.

English Championship: Middlesbrough 3-2 Spennymoor Town

To be honest the 3-2 scoreline flattered the visitors who were outclassed for the whole 90 minutes. Boro went 2 up before Spenny finally woke up and Ahonen gave them hope with 15 minutes remaining, hope was short lived however as 3 minutes later Boro regained their 2 goal advantage. Villa did net a late consolation goal to keep up his goal a game month but it wasn't enough to give Town anything from the game.

English Championship: Bristol City 2-1 Spennymoor Town

Suarez had given Spenny a half time lead but a poor second half performance saw City turn the game round scoring twice in 4 minutes, 10 minutes after the re-start. Town couldn't get anything going after that and would finish the month with back to back away defeats.

October Summary:

Three home wins to start the month, all with clean sheets and the form of backup striker Villa had seen Spennymoor firm up themselves as promotion candidates. However back to back away defeats at the end of the month had took the shine off things and they also had lost top spot to Sunderland, although they did have a game in hand on their North-East rivals. Maybe the more worrying / surprising thing is not seeing Blanco on the score sheet for four games. And with the poor end to the month no-one at the club received any monthly award.

Spoiler!

vCash
    Christ - lot of updates!

vCash
    Christ - lot of updates!
    Haha like to keep you guys busy with something to read, they wont always come at this pace! I played up to December last night just taking screenshots and notes as reminders of what was going on, luckily for me I have two 50 minute train journeys a day to write it up into a story! Will post my latest part tonight on the way home!

vCash
    League Cup exit - meh

Great start to league - goals flying in everywhere

Possible to extend Suarez contract?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Possible to extend Suarez contract?
    At the moment it's not part of the plan, he's got nothing else lined up so I guess never say never but I don't think I'll be able to afford it. The plan has worked to an extent so far, he's sold shirts and tickets and he's been a great influence to other players on and off the pitch, the only thing lacking is I'd of liked a few more goals off him but the other players are scoring and he's playing well so I can't complain!

vCash

Question

November 2022

News just in that Luis Suarez has confirmed that he will not be renewing his contract with Spennymoor come the end of December. Suarez who has been on a 6 month contract had been rumours to extend the deal but the former Barcelona striker has put the rumours to bed today by releasing the following statement:

Today I would like to confirm that at the end of December my time at Spennymoor Town will come to an end. I have decided it best to go on record now rather than give the fans false hope. I didn't know what this challenge would bring at the start of the season but I have grown to love my time here, the club has a great squad of players and staff and I would like to personally thank the manager and the chairman for giving me my first coaching experience. I would also like to thank all the fans for their incredible support since I joined the club and I can ensure them that in my last two months here I will give no less than 100% and hope the club to go on to promotion after I leave and I wish them all the best in the future. Thank you Spennymoor Town.

Rumours suggest Spennymoor have run in to debt and financially could not afford to offer Suarez an extension on his contract, which is main factor for no further deal but the club have refused to comment on the situation.

English Championship: Wigan Athletic 1-1 Spennymoor Town

Back on the pitch and Spennymoor were hoping to get back to winning ways against bottom side Wigan and they managed to take the lead after 42 minutes through Merrifield but just 2 minutes later and Wigan were level as Bedeau found then net. A frustrating second half saw few chances created and suddenly Spenny had 1 point from 3 games and not as much optimism was in the air.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Hull City

Spenny were glad to be back on home soil and took an early lead in the third minute via Merrifield who was starting to feel at home at this level, popping up with regular goals from the centre of midfield. The game got nervy as Spennymoor failed to kill off the away side and when Green was sent off for headbutting one of the opposition after 49 minutes the whole stadium was silent. Town managed to play out the rest of the game with 10 men and hold their 1-0 lead much to the relief of the supporters and their 100% home record was still intact.

English Championship: Birmingam City 1-2 Spennymoor Town

After 1 point from 3 away games Spennymoor had a tactical change for this game reverting to last season's 4-3-2-1 formation rather than the 4-1-3-2 they had been playing this season. 5 minutes in and the manger looked like he may rue his tactical change as Birmingham struck via Olomola. However 9 minutes later and Town were level as Tavernier got on the score sheet. 2 minutes later and Blanco turned the game on its head to end his mini goal drought. After the frantic start the game calmed down and there were surprisingly no more goals. The manager looked delighted as the tactic change had worked and they had a win away from home.

A big blow on the day before the next match as Javi Blanco had picked up an injury in training ruling him out of action for a few weeks, extra frustrating for the club as he had just got his eye for goal back.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 1-1 Bradford City

Tomlin struck for Bradford after 19 minutes and Spennymoor throughout the whole game looked lost for ideas, creating very little. With the last kick of the game substitute Tommi Ahonen struck a vital goal and the crowd were in hysterics, the 100% home record had gone but they were still undefeated this season at Brewery Field.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 1-1 Tranmere Rovers

Time for a top of the table clash as first took on third and for a second game running the home side fell behind with Horgan slotting home a penalty in the 24th minute. After 32 minutes Basham was sent off for Tranmere and the home crowd grew hopeful their side could turn things round. Spennymoor failed to take advantage of playing against 10 men, once again creating very few chances, however they were spared their blushes as with 11 minutes remaining when Villa grabbed them a point.

English Championship: Millwall 1-2 Spennymoor Town

Back on the road and Spennymoor once again reverted to their 4-3-2-1 tactic that had got them 3 points in their last way match. For the fourth successive game Spenny fell behind, this time to another penalty after 13 minutes which Bradshaw powered home for Millwall. For the second away game running they turned a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 advantage with goals from Suarez and George Thorne in a rare appearance for the holding midfielder. In the 73rd minute Tavernier let his frustrations get the best of him and was dismissed for head-butting an opponent, the manager was fuming with his second player to commit this offence in the same month. Town did manage to play out the remaining minutes and hold out for a 2-1 victory to leave them top of the table at the end of the month.

Spoiler!

November Summary:

A mixed bag in a frustrating month on and off the pitch for Spennymoor who had lost their discipline on the pitch. Also they were not their usual free-scoring selves but with Blanco coming back from injury for the upcoming month they will hope he can hit top form again and they can maintain their place at the top of the table. It will be Luis Suarez last month at the club and everyone associated with the club will be hoping he can go out with a bang.
    Last edited by James_y; 11-06-19 at 12:45 PM.

vCash
    Tight month there but you came out on the right side of it

Any warnings/fines for the 2 red cards?

Shame on Suarez - how much you in debt now? - before signing him how were finances month on month?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Any warnings/fines for the 2 red cards?

Shame on Suarez - how much you in debt now? - before signing him how were finances month on month?
    I let the players off this time but if they get sent off again the warnings and fines will start to come

Iím 400k in debt and seem to be loosing about 1m a month, may need to see if I can sell a player or 2 in January. Before Suarez Iíd pretty much been breaking even for my whole 4 years, keeping about 1m in the bank, Iíd spent basically nothing on transfers but most years the training facilities improved as they started as awful and also the ground has had a few expansions

vCash
    December 2022

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 3-0 Cardiff City

Spennymoor kicked off the month with a home win. However the game had been even until Ryan Shawcross was sent off on the stroke of half time. Spenny took advantage in second half playing against 10 men and Suarez and Blanco (2) gave them the 3 points.

English Championship: Burnley 2-1 Spennymoor Town

It took Town going 2-0 down after 73 minutes to wake up in this game, Suarez scored a minute after Burnley's second and Spenny bombarded the goal for the last 15 minutes but could not find an equaliser.

English Championship: Nottingham Forest 2-0 Spennymoor Town

Back to back away defeats for Spennymoor as Ejaria and Seager gave Forest a comfortable home win.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 3-2 Sheffield Wednesday

After 2 defeats Spenny were desperate to get back to winning ways but were on the back foot straight away as John-Jules gave Wednesday the lead after 3 minutes of play. This only made Spenny more determined and Blanco and Garoufalias had turned the game round before half time. Blanco was looking back to his best and netted again with 20 minutes remaining before Walsh got another for Wednesday minutes later. Town did hold out for a much needed victory.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Sunderland

Battle of the division's top 2 sides and a north-east derby, a game pundits could not call. 35 minutes in and Sunderland helped out their opponents as Pearson was given a needless red card. Spenny took advantage 7 minutes later as Suarez gave them the lead. With only 4 attempts on target the whole game it wasn't one to write home about but no-one in the small town of Spennymoor cared, the fans ecstatic with this huge victory.

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Oxford United

There was no fairy-tail last goal for Suarez in his last appearance for the club, but there was another 1-0 victory, the goal came through an unlikely source in Ethan Erhahon but it was enough for Spennymoor Town to lead the Championship at the end of the year. After the game no fans left the stadium as Luis Suarez did a lap of honour around the ground as he was congratulated by all his teammates and his manager, it was only a short stay but no one at this club would ever forget Luis Suarez.

December Summary:

100% wins at home and 100% losses away but it was a satisfactory month for Spennymoor going into the New Year top of the league. It was sad to see Suarez leave, as well as 8 goal and 3 assist he had been an amazing influence on the young squad and it would be interesting to see how they would do without him.

Spoiler!

vCash
    Same tactic home and away?

Chugging on very nicely

Who's in line to take Suarez's place?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Same tactic home and away?

Chugging on very nicely

Who's in line to take Suarez's place?
    Mainly been 4-1-3-2 at home and 4-3-2-1 away but trying to work out my best tactics for away games. Iíll either go Blanco alone up front or play Villa with him I think.

vCash
    Maybe mirror home formation based on recent results

vCash
    Maybe mirror home formation based on recent results
    Tried going back to it for the Forest game and played even worse than the Burnley match

vCash
    January 2023

Transfer News:

With Suarez now departed, Spennymoor got all their transfer activity done right at the start of the month as Josh Hare was sold to Dundee for 100k and Ryan Williams loan contract was terminated as he had not settled as hoped. In came 3 loan signings - Marlon Fossey (DR) and Cameron Antwi (SC) both from Fulham and Croatian midfielder Ante Palaversa from Crystal Palace who the club were particularly excited about getting on board for the second half of the season.

English Championship: Aston Villa 2-0 Spennymoor Town

Back on the road and another away defeat and depleated performance from The Moors as Sam Clucas struck twice to give Villa the 3 points.

JS: Welcome to Soccer Saturday and today is FA Cup third round day as the big boys join the competition!

*The panel discuss all today's ties*

JS: Next up and it's Championship leaders Spennymoor Town at home to mid-table Premiership side Brighton... now boys remember earlier in the season you all put your Spennymoor predictions in the envelope?
    PT: Oh Boy!

*Jeff pulls the predictions out the envelope*

JS: Yes Phil you should look away. So viewers, the five of us all predicted where Spennymoor would be when Suarez left the club after his 6 month contact and here we are... Tommo, relegation fight?
    PT: I'll admit Jeff I may have misjudged things.
    JS: Narrowly! Mr. Charlie Nicolas, congratulations, top of the league as you predicted!
    CN: Well Jeff just shows who the viewers should listen to on this panel!
    JS: So do any of you four think they will keep this up now Suarez is gone?
    ML: With their squad size it will be hard Jeff, but who knows. Their home form has been outstanding and if they can keep that up they have a chance!
    JS: And how do you see today going Tis?
    ML: It's the FA Cup and anything can happen, if Brighton don't fancy this then an upset could be on the cards!

*The clock strikes 15:00 and a whole host of games kick off*

15:05
    JS: Still early stages in all our ties, Merse you're watching Spennymoor vs Brighton, much to report yet?
    PM: Decent save for the Spennymoor keeper in the first minute, Brighton looking dangerous early on Jeff!
    15:21
    JS: We have goal at Brewery Field...
    PM: Yes Jeff and its Gunter for Brighton, he's hit a free kick from 20 yards and not given the keeper a chance, great goal!
    15:48
    JS: Is it half time in your game Paul?
    PM: The whistle has just blown as you come to me Jeff, Spennymoor really trying to get back in to this game but at the moment Brighton look ok, I'm looking forward to seeing the second half and if they can have a real go at them!
    16:25
    PM: OH NO! Howler!
    JS: What happened Paul?
    PM: Blanco hit the shot straight at the keeper but Ryan spilled and there was the lad from Palace to tap home the rebound! 1-1!
    JS: You mean Palaversa Merse?
    PM: Yep, that's the one Jeff!
    16:29
    PM: GOALLLLL!
    JS: Straight over to Paul at Brewey Field
    PM: It's 2-1 to Spennymoor Jeff and he's done it again!
    JS: Who has Paul?
    PM: Pala... Palaversa! The full back has played it into the box and he's got too much space in the box and has cooly slotted home, would you believe it!
    16:34
    PM: 3-1!!!!!!!!!
    JS: And it looks like we have an upset...
    PM: Yes Jeff, Brighton have fallen to pieces here as Tavenier picks it up on the edge of the box and looks to just be hitting a hopeful shot but it ends up in the back of the net, and that should be game over!
    16:38
    PM: GAME ON!!!
    JS: Sorry for the interruption there Tis but we are going to have to go back to Paul Merson at Brewery Field...
    PM: Sorry Tis, but it's game on here and we have a cup tie. Crowley has taken the ball past 2 men and then he's smashed it as hard as he could past the keeper and this one isn't over yet!
    16:47
    JS: I think it's all over in Merse's game and we have an upset.
    PM: Yes Jeff, Spennymoor have knocked out Brighton, after Brighton scored with 4 minutes to go I really thought we would see late drama but Spennymoor played out the time well and they are into the 4th round!

English FA Cup Round 3: Spennymoor Town 3-2 Brighton and Hove Albion

It was time for Spennymoor to find out who awaited them in the fourth round and the club wanted a big tie and that is exactly what they got as they would travel to....

Spoiler!

English Championship: Spennymoor Town 3-2 Forest Green

Back in the league and another thrilling 3-2 victory. Williams had put Green in front after 17 minutes but 6 minutes later and Merrifield levelled things up before Blanco sent the home side in 2-1 ahead at the break. Forest Green got out the traps the quickest in the second half an were soon level through Offord, however with just 4 minutes remaining substitute and loanee Antwi stole victory for Spenny, to make matters worse for Green they had Clark sent off in the last minute.

English Championship: Fulham 1-5 Spennymoor Town

A dramatic start to this game as Assombalonga struck for Fulham with only 2 minutes on the clock but during his celebrations he bizarrely kicked out at Yann Songo'o and was given his marching orders. Fulham would rue this as Spennymoor hit back and ran riot with goals from Merrifield(2(1 pen)), Palaversa, Tavernier and Fulham's own player Antwi.

English FA Cup Round 4: Manchester United 3-2 Spennymoor Town

When Palaversa struck after 6 minutes the fans must have started to dream... dreams were soon squashed though as United restored order hitting 3 goals through Brewster, Lukaku and Madine. Green did get one back for Spenny and the players could leave with their heads held high but for this year the FA Cup romance for this small Town was over.

January Summary:

A great cup win over Brighton and a decent performance at Old Trafford, along with 6 points from 3 games made it a very good month for Spennymoor after losing Suarez, with the cup out the way they would now be able to put all their focus on the league and they had a nice 5 point gap at the top even though things were getting tight...

Spoiler!

Last edited by James_y; 11-06-19 at 12:32 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast