Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nk Imotska Krajina (odb v3.68) - GREYED OUT ABYSS

vCash
    coming soon i just finishing off the chicken and chops on the bbq grill aint the best weather but they go off tomoro so gonna eat up and then write out the review :-)

vCash
    Croation First Division
    2003/04

Explaining the thought Process for tactics, Development and Experimentation for the Season ahead

This year I decided to experiment more with tactics and we have 2 very good prospects as sweepers coming through the ranks now.

Mirko Maric (who can be called back from loan at any time)

https://i.postimg.cc/8Pzq1H9c/maricswloan.jpg

Karlo Primorac (I retrained him to be a dmc also as he will be roaming infront and behind the defence)

https://i.postimg.cc/7LKzyq2f/PRIMORAC.jpg

It is also the first season I have a few technically gifted or creative mdfielders at the club which will allow me to control midfiled more in matches

https://i.postimg.cc/SNcg815D/MILETIC.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Gmx3C2Zr/katic0203.png

Still though the main issue is upfront I have a squad of target men or workhorses that can only specifically do a job for the team either hold up the ball or just press and harass like a Croatian Paul Dickov they only tend to score from crosses looking back at match stats from previous games and who was assisting them was mainly the wbs or att mid with a cross

https://i.postimg.cc/0yWDJp8V/blokarTG.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Fz4LQpZH/bradicTG.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/yYnSwFS7/BRKICtg.jpg

The board were very dubious about my new approach the chairman even joked that he thinks I am losing the plot but in our pre season meeting with the board I explained it is now the time to stop trying to not only try keep clean sheets and consolidate in matches but add some some attacking flair and explosive counter attacking football into the mix
    We still have't drawn in the crowds the last few seasons still averaging under 1,500 for home games so maybe some lethal counter attacking football will help with this.

To explain the tactic I am using you will need to understand the players I have at my disposal
    On the whole I have a very athletic midfield lacking technical ability but great stamina and workrate with a few of them being very pacey
    All strikers are target men or defensive style forwards and my sweeper and defenders are rock solid I might even go as far to say we have the best defensive unit in the league at this point.

https://i.postimg.cc/G3TR0r8t/smoje-0203.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZxjLy6g/korac.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cCpCr3L5/Jeric0203.png

The left sided wingbacks are athletic and powerful but cant cross or doing anything fancy down the wings and both my right wingbacks have the attributes of a central midfielder more than a wide player

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnWpHnVr/200304-Tactic.jpg

Before the season started I was hoping for a better goal average and also to see some hot prospects get game time out on loan to non league clubs and try build a sweeper formation moving forward for years to come as i have 3 players that can play the position and role I want

Any improvement on last years league placing will be an added bonus!

Season 2003/04

So we started the season with a bang 2 wins and dominant displays against a relegation rival and European pushing Rijeka (who have an insanely good young team)

a genius I am thinking! but how wrong was I instead of teams going attacking against us (which is what i want) many teams started going normal and mirroring my defensive shape or playing more cautiously against me so throughout the season I was tweaking instructions and rotating just to see if I could get an edge in games some how in an attacking sense whilst not leaving my defence exposed when we counter like nutters.

Our inconsistency couldn't be more evident than a terrible away cup display to relegation rivals Granicar

https://postimg.cc/mztcv0NX/112dba70

I had to really rethink my approach after this display and my blind loyalty to my home grown youth prospects coming through the academy system was wearing very thin.

I have no complaints about the inconsistency maybe I was over realistic demanding and being so precise with my young players they still need a lot of development and some of my poor results was evidence of this

But it wasn't all doom and gloom our defence yes I keep going on about them only averaged conceding one goal a game all season if only we had a half decent poacher or a very decent attacking mid maybe I could be typing out a story of incredible over achievement this season but it wasn't to be most games were still very tight but the fans certainly enjoyed the style and we did have some nice results and for the first time in the division some very comfy 3-0 style wins were becoming more common we completely ran over relegation rivals or just counter attacked with such venom in certain games it certainly put a smile on my face

But all in all I was still expecting a little more offensively our DMC'S Struggled in offensive positions many shots wide of goal or lacking chance creation or good decisions in the final 3rd and sometimes we would get countered on the counter instead of being more clinical but these are very fine lines in football and I am hopeful that with some better rounded players in midfield and a half decent striker moving forward this tactic will certainly shape into what I want long term and am absolutely convinced that I will be stamping my own style on this team

A positive goal difference is certainly pleasing even if I little disappointed we didn't push on and scrap for a european playoff place but then I look at my squad and compare it too the giants in the division like Hajduck Dinamo and Osijek and try put things into a little bit more perspective

A couple of screenshots of young talents in Croatia the big clubs in Europe are sniffing around Niko Kranjcar and a young English Regen called Luke Regan

Last edited by leo37; 23-06-19 at 11:32 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leo37 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Few bits of other news since season 3 ended

The 100k Spend (The First 100k the board let me go mad with)

After a silent partner at the club decided to clear the 660k debt I was given 90k to spend after many intensive scout searches the only players who I thought might add something a little different to the squad were all non league players and god knows what my scouts were doing watching park football.

Kabic not sure why I blew the budget on him just had a feeling he might do a job for me in the top flight plus he the best looking striker I had come up on any scout search for 4 years now

The Defensive Crisis

They have all been great servants thus far and I can't afford to lose any of them an injury or suspesion to one of them and my defensive unit collapses the most crucial and best performing part of my team and it's rare to have such a reliable and trusting defence built so early on a save

The U21 Croatian International Smoje has had enough of playing infront of 2,000 only crowds it would seem

Jeric wanting a new contract with a minimum fee release clause it's effecting his form badly he never slipped below a 7.3 average previously in any season

The ageing Korac but not so much worried about my main rock he didn't have pace when i signed him he will still be just as good at 36 as he was at 29

Blokar a Decent Servant and possibly a future one club man

So on first glance he doesn't look much but there is a story behind this lad signed on a free when I first joined as manager he has been there from the start a loan spell last season saw his stats spike right up last season
    Remember him 3/4 years ago with only 5 finishing and only saw him as a bench option to throw on in last 20 mins of a game but he scored some important goals for me on this journey if not the most prolific but he certainly is looking like he will spend his whole career with me at Krijina
    Plus I do not think his development has stopped just yet and still have high hopes he becomes a late bloomer.

Last edited by leo37; 24-06-19 at 08:31 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leo37 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Would it be possible to insert all of the pictures into your post, rather than the links? That makes for easier reading, especially with these long posts.

So Regan's a regen, is he?
    Last edited by samsami; 24-06-19 at 08:22 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Some interesting tactics there you used. Congratulations on staying up again, its going to be a slow burner building this club but will be worth it when you get there

9. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Would it be possible to insert all of the pictures into your post, rather than the links? That makes for easier reading, especially with these long posts.

So Regan's a regen, is he?
    I tried to style it that way but the picture site i use seems a little hit or miss i logged out and cleared cookies and it shows on my laptop now and it was just links before maybe it will load ok for other people to see
    which picture host site do you use I need to use another one

ya 2nd season one and because i loaded all players from the db the teams in croatia are building very strong squads
    Last edited by leo37; 24-06-19 at 08:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James_y View Post
    Some interesting tactics there you used. Congratulations on staying up again, its going to be a slow burner building this club but will be worth it when you get there
    Thanks it's slowly getting there

I prefer a slow challenge to instant success any day!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    That's some tactics you have here !

Lot of thinking and tinkering to try and get the best from this bunch of players.

Interesting to see what will happen now that you had the opportunity to buy Kabic who's a different kind of striker

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LucasGills For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leo37 View Post
    I tried to style it that way but the picture site i use seems a little hit or miss i logged out and cleared cookies and it shows on my laptop now and it was just links before maybe it will load ok for other people to see
    which picture host site do you use I need to use another one
    I use PostImage.org, just like you. The only annoying thing with that site is that you always have to make sure to upload pictures as Hotlink for forums. It will seem to remember your preference, but every now and then it will revert back to some other option and your pictures will be tiny or not appear at all.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    2004/05 - The 11 game collapse Early/Mid season

After the terrible display away to mid table Marsonia in the league it has now seen a 11 game run without a win with a crisis in defence, players unhappy across the squad and splits within the dressing room over the new style of counter attacking football everything is a complete mess. After being helped after the game by security to escape an angry mob of travelling Krajina ultras who made the 60 mile trip up to Marsonia. The range rover the chairman bought me last season has been completely smashed to pieces in the car park by angry fans and calls for my resignation from angry fans is becoming more common as every game passes. Listening to a call in show on the way home from the ground angry fans complaining and moaning about my 'outdated 70's sweeper style football' and 'Hoffinski has lost the dressing room' seems all a too common theme

It is certainly my lowest point as Krajina boss so far with the club possibly seeking fines for crowd trouble after the game. The morale and my future at the club has never been in a worse state. If you been following the thread previously everything that could go wrong has really this season the unhappy personal problems with the defence the pressure of the new (stay clear of relegation) expectations is causing a lot of pressure on myself personally and the young squad and still no real talents in attacking or creative positions coming up on scout searches everything has gone very stale and feel like I have hit a brick wall at this point

I had to take some time and reflect on how the club moves forward at this point do i dismantle the once rock solid defensive unit and cash in and rebuild? Do I go back to an extremely defensive shape and strategy? and what happens if worse comes to worse and I get sacked? all questions I had to ask myself before I kicked the cat when I got home
    Last edited by leo37; 24-06-19 at 03:03 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to leo37 For This Useful Post:

Only one answer when you're up against the wall.... attack, attack, attack!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Only one answer when you're up against the wall.... attack, attack, attack!!!
    The issue is creativity and finishing if I go attacking mate my team doesn't have the attributes if i changed to an attacking short press which is reliable on this version. Last of couples of seasons when i been safe and no relegation threat i tried opening up against teams but it was a waste of time I didn't score and would usually concede early in matches

Quote Originally Posted by leo37 View Post
    The issue is creativity and finishing if I go attacking mate my team doesn't have the attributes if i changed to an attacking short press which is reliable on this version. Last of couples of seasons when i been safe and no relegation threat i tried opening up against teams but it was a waste of time I didn't score and would usually concede early in matches
    Flat back 5

vCash
    Im playing 5 at the back just using a sweeper the issues I have found this season is the change from an overall workman like midfield to a softer but more technical one. The transition to playing progressive football with my current squad is much tougher than I expected

Do you think they will sack you if you go down?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Do you think they will sack you if you go down?
    No they still delighted with my overall performance

relegation and a poor start next season then maybe

Yea if you do go down need to bounce back. Many players want out?

vCash
    many wanna leave for bigger clubs others are just unhappy wanting a new contract but its nearly the entire squad now all wanting crappy 150,000 minimum release clauses they wont resign without plus many still on silly little 75 pound a week now they all want 600

vCash
    Croatian Top Division
    Season 04/05

Terrible season full of mistakes by me and my team got the whole transition thing completely wrong and just tried to be stubborn and hope If I try 'another player there instead' maybe it would work! Well my team was just soft all season no rock solid defence compared to previous seasons and just clueless in midfield and all so predictably bad going forward.

I learnt that my team can't attack but now I also know the ever so reliable defense and it's cycle is coming to an end

So what now?

Well with 2 games of the season to go I recalled a very basic forward who has been around the squad now for 4 seasons called Bradic just to hit and hope and steal an away win after another insane run of poor results saw us possibly going into the last game of the season for survival if we lost that game against Ustock.

So i reverted back to a dig in and launch ball forward tactic just to get a crucial 3 points

Some highlights though saw some of our young more technically gifted midfielders get more games this season but they were all a complete liability for our defensive shape don't be fooled by the few assists or goals they popped up with because whenever i played 1 or 2 of them together the whole team unit defensively collapsed and we was going in at half time most games already 2-0 down ect so it's not much good of them getting a goal or an assist late on if the match was already lost.

We do now have 3 Croatian under 21 internationals that have been with the club now a few years

All in all though a horrendous season only 5 wins and i'd say nearly 75% of our games were over by half time and it's so crucial for a team like ours not to concede first or otherwise we go chasing and are more likely to concede 2 more than score 1 ourselves.

It's very brief as it was a season to forget and just hoping for better for 2005/06

Glad we didn't get relegated is all I can say about this one!

Last edited by leo37; 24-06-19 at 10:46 PM.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leo37 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Few High Performing Players in the Croatian League plus Kevin Kyle at relegated Granicar lol

I shouldn't laugh he looks 10 times better than any striker I have :-(

The Dominant Dinamo Zagreb

Last edited by leo37; 24-06-19 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasGills View Post
    That's some tactics you have here !

Lot of thinking and tinkering to try and get the best from this bunch of players.

Interesting to see what will happen now that you had the opportunity to buy Kabic who's a different kind of striker

I stopped playing him when I had to go more direct and long towards the end of season 1 in 3 isn't bad but he probably has no future at the club maybe I can resell for what I paid could be another few seasons before I get a tiny bit of cash again.

He is a very good workhorse has nice long shots but the ball doesn't stick with him upfront like it does with my bigger stronger guys
    Last edited by leo37; 25-06-19 at 12:47 AM.

Jesus those 3 teams below you must be bloody awful

Anyway congrats on staying up lets see what the summer brings

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Just read the whole thing through. Very challenging career, i must say. Although the promotion in the first year came too early really (...) because you don't have the team for it. On the other hand, spending ten years in the second division and not be going anywhere would have been infinitely worse
    That's what I said after your promotion. Perhaps I was wrong and promotion was a bad thing and came too early. Your players started getting attitudes and then results got worse.

You only dropped one place (12thy to 13th) in this second season but the goal difference, which was surprisingly good in your first year in the top league, is very poor now.

For some reason I can't see player positions in your tactics screen vc Uskok, but if you have several DMC's it may be worth trying a formation with two or three defensive midfielders. Sometimes that works. THere may be other options.

Can you please post a list of your squad with their player positions and their average ratings for the two seasons in the First Division? Either typed or screenshot?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast