Thread: Greetings from Halesowen

vCash

Greetings from Halesowen

Hi All
    Was a member here previously but I don’t think I ever introduced myself. But like all of us here, been playing Championship Manager for years!
    Started right at the beginning on the Amiga when I lent it off a mate (which I duly took a copy of!) but it got so far and then crashed. Forgot about it for a while but then it returned and even better, it no longer crashed. Sure it took 2hours+ to compile a new season but this was the best footy game ever made.
    Great on future versions when that 2 hour wait became 10 minutes or so btu as you can guess, I’ve brought every version since.

In the days when I had the internet I used to frequent an IRC rom called #champman(?) and loved the banter. Along with another user (biggy or something like that), I did a downloadable CM Magazine and my own site too… ‘The Other CM Web Page’ and ‘CM Lightning Downloads’ – which consisted of a freeserve webpage with links to free files lol. Loved doing that on New Years Eve 99 though!
    Fond memories of The Dugout and indeed the whole community back in the day. Hours spent on the evening in that irc room and whether it was organising games of Quake, helping people on their sites with graphics, doing a WinAmp radio station or just having a laugh, it was great fun.

Can still remember playing CM01/02 and if truth be told I was never good at it but after listening to the ‘Quickly Kevin’ Podcast on Spotify, where they were talking about 97/98 it reminded me of the great community in place for 01/02 and with the Tapani patch to make sure long term saves are viable, I figured lets get back on the horse and see if I can do better than late time.

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Welcome, Steve!

Bloody hell, WinAmp, that takes me back
    Run out of vCash? You can request a recharge here!

vCash

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Great into - you'll enjoy it here - trust me

Tournaments Won: 9

vCash
    WinAmp indeed

Welcome to the site. Great introduction. Wasn't the Internet a simpler place back in the days of the dugout?!

vCash
    Absolutely! cheers for the warm welcome too guys.

What I enjoyed about the Internet in those days was you could go on a forum and sure it was busy but it was manageable to check on a night, these days they go crazy if they're too popular and back in those days too, there seemed to be more engagement too.

Did anyone else use IRC for #Champman? Think there was two.. #champman and #champ-man with both being rivals lol.

With regards to The Dugout, was it started by a gentlemen in Holland called CM Benelux or something like that? God, amazing what you remember!

With CM01/02 btw, I still remember buying it from WH Smiths!